Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: There Be Ghosts

Jane and Maura must unravel an old ghost story to solve a double murder at a hospital. Angela convinces Frankie to stop avoiding Kent and accept his invitation to a concert.

(edited)

I guess I really didn't care who the murderer was, because I lost track of how they got to the person who turned out to be the killer and didn't go back and re-watch the part that explained how they found him.

I'm kind of torn as to how I feel about Kent.  He's funny, smart, not too bad-looking and I love his accent.  On the other hand, he has a collection of stuffed real mice that he dresses in costumes to fit the holiday/season (isn't that what Frankie--excuse me, Frank--said?).  So, kind of creepy.  I did think that their enthusiasm about the Kiss concert was funny.

I didn't really understand why that author didn't just take a photo of the page of the journal in the archives instead of cutting out the page (or pages).  I'm sure Maura would have understood if she had just explained that she was doing research.  I guess that was to make her more of a suspicious character. 

The cameo of Tess Gerritsen was interesting.  At least (since she isn't a professional actress), she only had a line or two to say.  And I would agree that a police detective and a chief medical examiner would probably be very popular at a mystery/crime writers' conference!

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 4

That was Tess Gerritsen?  That's cute.  I'm kind of surprised it took them so long to give her a cameo, but it also makes sense they'd do it in the home stretch.

Kent the KISS fan truly cracked me up.  I missed the part about the mice, thankfully (I basically had it on as background noise).

I'm with Jane on not understanding people believing in ghosts (wanting to believe, thinking it a nice idea in the way Korsak described, sure, but not actually believing), but I also really liked Korsak knocking her down with the reminder she followed her Frost hallucination around town.  Plus it was just nice to hear his name; kudos to whomever remembered that episode and realized this story line made for a natural way to reference him again.

• Love 4

I kept thinking that "Samantha" was really Katty Kay, BBC World News America presenter.  Same hair, same accent, both Oxford grads.  Too little Jane & Maura, but that's where Jan Nash has taken the show.  Why?

I really liked the little scene between Korsak and Frankie, er, Frank. I'm a sucker for character stuff, and that was a nice touch. And I also was so happy to hear Frost mentioned. Sometimes I'm not sure the show ever really recovered from losing him.

Otherwise, a very disappointing and forgettable episode. The crime made no sense, the author lady was annoying, and listening to Jane condescend to people that don't share her beliefs wasn't entertaining to me in the least. And WTH are the writers doing with Kent? They've written him every which way from Tuesday, and the actor's appeal can only go so far. I even found Maura somewhat annoying in this ep, which I never thought I'd say. Anyone know how many episodes are left as we limp across the finish line?

• Love 3
(edited)

When Jane and Korsak said they miss Barry Frost, I teared up again.  I'm really glad they acknowledged him and it still stuns me that wonderful young man is gone.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 9

I think this episode may have been sitting on the shelf (and should have stayed there, as it was boring).  Two reasons: Maura answered her phone as "Isles," not "Doctor Isles."  The cuteness of "Rizzoli" followed by "Isles" was indulged in awhile ago.  And Nina and Frankie were just co-workers,  with no hint of a relationship.  

• Love 1

And Nina and Frankie were just co-workers,  with no hint of a relationship.

When Nina came in to the Dirty Robber at the end, she said Frankie told her to meet him there after the concert.  Earlier, when Angela counseled Frankie on what to do about Kent's invitation, he said something like, "Yeah, that's what Nina said."  And, most telling, there was something with Angela telling her stories about Frankie as a boy.  That all says dating to me.

• Love 1
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When Nina came in to the Dirty Robber at the end, she said Frankie told her to meet him there after the concert.  Earlier, when Angela counseled Frankie on what to do about Kent's invitation, he said something like, "Yeah, that's what Nina said."  And, most telling, there was something with Angela telling her stories about Frankie as a boy.  That all says dating to me.

You are right, Bastet.  We didn't see them canoodling, so I didn't get it.  Of course, Jane and Maura behave like that all the time...but they're not dating, are they?  

Edited by Scamp
Add shipper snark

Of course Maura loves storms. She would get a rush where others just get annoyed. While I give Jane kudos for consistently showing up, I will not miss watching her cringe her way through every event. Or just generally cringe over Maura's every interest like she's being forced to endure. Thankfully Jane's bitch face at Samantha at the end made up for it this ep. Woman had it coming.

This case was awful. The killer was killing people daily. Where was the urgency? Needing to protect the other people at the hospital? There was so little actual focus on it that I couldn't even follow how they got the killer. And I don't care. That's just bad for a detective show.

Everything about Frankie's story line was ridiculous. Which is too bad because that throwaway bit about Frankie having to deal with his father's messes and the way it rolls from father to son really had potential. So Kent is weird. And? Everyone has known that since he got there. He can nerd-out with Maura on her level for goodness' sake. Or even surpass her. Yet Frankie was acting like he just discovered this shocking information that should bring them all to his side. I loved that no one was willing to indulge his bullshit. They all very correctly called him out as being childish.

I am torn though. I have a strong aversion to taxidermy (creepy!) but the thought of a mouse dressed in leaf raking gear as seasonal clothing is awesome. I will let the end scene sway me back to the positive. I was seriously cracking up. Angela as the third was perfect! As was Maura's open-mouthed shock at Kent. I don't remember when she was last that thrown by something. Plus they brought friends!

On 7/11/2016 at 11:12 PM, BooksRule said:

I didn't really understand why that author didn't just take a photo of the page of the journal in the archives instead of cutting out the page (or pages).  I'm sure Maura would have understood if she had just explained that she was doing research.  I guess that was to make her more of a suspicious character. 

The cameo of Tess Gerritsen was interesting.  At least (since she isn't a professional actress), she only had a line or two to say.  And I would agree that a police detective and a chief medical examiner would probably be very popular at a mystery/crime writers' conference!

That would have been the logical way. Except she had to sign a NDA, so maybe she also wasn't allowed to bring her phone or any recording devices in? Regardless, I think hacking it out with a pocket knife was just more of her crazy coming out. While Samantha was definitely eccentric and opportunistic, I am glad that she was also genuinely impressed by Maura. I like the exploration of the fruits of Maura's creative writing class more than this move to Maura working at Hope's clinic. Though I suppose I can live with her doing both. I wonder if we will see Maura volunteering next week.

I really liked the Tess Gerritsen appearance. It had to be such a thrill to be introduced to the characters she created, played by the actresses who have brought them to life so completely.

On 7/12/2016 at 0:42 AM, Bastet said:

I'm with Jane on not understanding people believing in ghosts (wanting to believe, thinking it a nice idea in the way Korsak described, sure, but not actually believing), but I also really liked Korsak knocking her down with the reminder she followed her Frost hallucination around town.  Plus it was just nice to hear his name; kudos to whomever remembered that episode and realized this story line made for a natural way to reference him again.

Maybe it's because this ep so closely followed the zombie one, but I was also glad to see Korsak knock Jane back a bit. I agree as well on liking the Frost mention. With the tragic loss of the actor as well, I think he must always be in the thoughts of the cast and crew. Remembering Frost is remembering Lee.

• Love 2

Why is it that they have Maura graciously embracing all of Jane's passions but not the other way around? I still feel like they give Angie way too much say over her character's development or lack thereof and this episode is a perfect example of it. Also, why is Angie's voice so raspy here but not IRL because she didn't talk that way on the Who Do You Think You Are? episode featuring her family's geneology.

• Love 3
On July 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Scamp said:

I think this episode may have been sitting on the shelf (and should have stayed there, as it was boring).  Two reasons: Maura answered her phone as "Isles," not "Doctor Isles."  The cuteness of "Rizzoli" followed by "Isles" was indulged in awhile ago.  And Nina and Frankie were just co-workers,  with no hint of a relationship.  

Maura has a line about reviewing protocols for Hope's clinics that carries over and progresses the subplot from the last episode, in which Hope was taking Maura to see the clinics at Maura's request. So this episode wasn't moved out of order.

To maraleia, I know they do it that way for the "comedy" of it all - it's a grumpy & gracious dynamic, Jane's always been the grump and Maura the gracious one - but I do think the show carries it a bit far at times. I remember one season - S2 or S3 - where Jane's dialogue to Maura would too often cross the line from mild "old married couple" exasperation to being just plain nasty to her (where I'd be thinking, "Wow, do you like Maura at all?") and I was relieved when the writers dialed it back down the next season. I think one reason the show never has it be the other way around is that they are afraid of it coming off as classism on Maura's part. That is, they feel it's okay for blue-collar "salt of the earth" Jane to dislike everything from what Maura likes to eat to what she likes to wear to what her interests are and viewers won't be offended, but it's not okay for wealthy, patrician Maura to dislike anything Jane likes because if she ever does, it must be snobbery at work and then viewers wouldn't like Maura. At most Maura is allowed mild bemusement, because that can be played in a way where viewers just find her reaction something to laugh at, and then of course she always tries to understand, try whatever the food/drink is, etc. (Whereas Jane basically refuses to try anything, apart from going to events with Maura - but she complains so much during those that it's questionable whether we can call that "trying" on her part. She's certainly not trying to keep an open mind or have a good time.)

• Love 4
20 hours ago, l star said:

I really liked the Tess Gerritsen appearance. It had to be such a thrill to be introduced to the characters she created, played by the actresses who have brought them to life so completely.

Came here to post just this.  It was the highlight of the episode for me.  Also was trying to figure out if Samantha Caspary was some kind of shoutout to Vera Caspary, the author of the famous (sort of a ghost) story Laura.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Maura has a line about reviewing protocols for Hope's clinics that carries over and progresses the subplot from the last episode, in which Hope was taking Maura to see the clinics at Maura's request. So this episode wasn't moved out of order.

Thank you, Black Knight and Bastet, for spotting my goofs and providing accurate info.  

I'm just not feeling it this season.  It was nice to see Tess.  I'm sure she's been behind the scenes before, but a tip to the cap with a cameo was nice.  The mention of Frost was nice, but it should have been accompanied by a mention of Suzi.  Yes, I know Lee Thompson also died, and the actress who played Suzi did not.  To stay in character, both should have been mentioned.

I think Angie's raspy voice is her attempt at having a Boston blue-collar accent.  Can't say whether the attempt is successful or not, since I have never been to Boston.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I'm just not feeling it this season.  It was nice to see Tess.  I'm sure she's been behind the scenes before, but a tip to the cap with a cameo was nice.  The mention of Frost was nice, but it should have been accompanied by a mention of Suzi.  Yes, I know Lee Thompson also died, and the actress who played Suzi did not.  To stay in character, both should have been mentioned.

I think Angie's raspy voice is her attempt at having a Boston blue-collar accent.  Can't say whether the attempt is successful or not, since I have never been to Boston.  

It's not a Boston blue-collar accent. I agree. They are phoning it in this season. Look at it this way. We only have 7 episodes left.

On July 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM, kassygreene said:

No, I don''t think TNT is carrying the Olympics (they are Turner, not GE-Universal).  According to the zap2it schedule, the summer series are all doing reruns that week.

TNT likely doesn't want to waste a new episode trying to compete with the Olympics (pun not intended).

• Love 2