Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Kill Them All

I've gotten completely lost at this point: I could have sworn that the plan was to kill Moss by having him wake up first and get blown away by Android. Then Lin, waking up second, would shut her down from security mode. From the rest of the crew's perspective, having Moss aboard instead of Corso, a fellow criminal, could only have been about chasing one of them down (Boone, although it would be unclear if they knew which one,) if not all. I've forgotten how having Jones (as they thought him to be) waking up last would kill him off. 

It has not been made clear who Two and Four planed to kill when they would come out of stasis.

Two: So.
Four: You were right.
Then we're agreed? Yes.
He has to die.
When? Before we get to the mining colony, after we come out of stasis.

Five got panicky after she had listened to the tape and decided to memory-wipe them all. When she played the tape to Six in the final episode of season one he just assumed they were talking about him but it could have been Moss.

As for the 'asset' - I took it that Reynaud was jokingly referring to Five because she's after the key Five stole and not because Five was connected to her in some other way before she became whatever is the equivalent of a street-urchin in their universe. The asset could also mean one of the three newbies who was hired by Reynaud to search the Raza for the key thingy.

I think the focus on Five this episode was deliberate. Her actions made her a true member of the Raza. But at the same time she's currently the one person aboard keeping most secrets - some of those secrets she found out pretty recently but others she has kept for quite a while already. She remembers how she got on the Raza and she remembers how the crew acted when they found her. And that Two and Four plotted against another crew-member. She still has the key that got her into all that trouble and she knows someone's after that thing. She's the person behind the mind-wipe. She knows that something is not right with the Android. It will be interesting to see how much of that stuff she's going to reveal to the others and when and how they will react.

• Love 4

If it wasn't Lin and Tetsuda who programmed Android to slaughter intruders, then it was most likely Varrick, who as the last to awaken but the only one who knew what to expect would be the last man standing. But presumably the plan was tripped up by Lin being too superhuman to lose, saving the others? 

I suppose some other player managed to reprogram Android, but that doesn't seem satisfying at this point.

I never assumed the Android had been programmed to attack intruders but rather that she had been memory-wiped too and just sprang into attack-moe. Come to think of it that makes no sense, hmm. Also she was not in stasis but stashed away. Was that also Five's doing and how did she pull it off? Was the Android even around in the flashbacks scenes? I don't think she was.

Maybe she had been loyal to the Raza's original owners (I highly doubt the ship was legally acquired) and had to be stashed away by the crew once they had managed to overpower her (and we know from season one that wasn't exactly hard to do). Her attack-program would make sense then. Should she ever regain the data lost by Two rebooting her in the pilot things could get even more interesting.

• Love 3

You're right...I have been automatically assuming that Android's anti-intruder programming had been activated purposefully. If Android had been stowed away, all that needed to be done was un-stowing her, which I guess anyone could have done?

1 hour ago, sjohnson said:

If it wasn't Lin and Tetsuda who programmed Android to slaughter intruders, then it was most likely Varrick, who as the last to awaken

Who's Varrick? Six? It amuses me because I already know 2 Varricks in recent popular culture (okay, one of them is Varric) and this would be the third.

^^^Yes, Kal Varrick is Griffin Jones' real name. I've quit thinking of any of them by their numbers, except Two, who really doesn't want to be Portia Lin any more. The others have re-committed themselves to being who they were before. Except Emily/Five, but she's still keeping secrets and on the run. Perhaps her "kill them all" order was mostly about getting back aboard Raza with a crew to help her run from the woman with the One Phone to Rule Them All.

39 minutes ago, sjohnson said:

^^^Yes, Kal Varrick is Griffin Jones' real name. I've quit thinking of any of them by their numbers, except Two, who really doesn't want to be Portia Lin any more. The others have re-committed themselves to being who they were before. Except Emily/Five, but she's still keeping secrets and on the run. Perhaps her "kill them all" order was mostly about getting back aboard Raza with a crew to help her run from the woman with the One Phone to Rule Them All.

Well she's not really Portia Lin. I think her real name is something different, but I don't remember what.

Will Wheaton's character had a different name for Two in episode 12? of season one, but I can't remember it either.  She is known as Portia Lin by the authorities, who apparently didn't do a genetic scan on her, just with the ones they weren't sure.

I thought the funniest bit was Five going to get a gun, oooohhh she sees a bigger gun,  OOOOHHHH she now sees an even bigger gun.

Good episode to get some new characters on the ship.  I didn't quite get why the doctor was with them, but maybe we'll get more backstory later.

And while Six has all his memories now, I don't think the rest of the crew does, so they still have some questions about their history.

Sorry to see One die (at least it seems that way), but I expect we'll see Corso again.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I thought the funniest bit was Five going to get a gun, oooohhh she sees a bigger gun,  OOOOHHHH she now sees an even bigger gun.

It took me ages to figure out why Three was so happy to see Five and greeted her with 'Hey, it's Bubba!'

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I never assumed the Android had been programmed to attack intruders but rather that she had been memory-wiped too and just sprang into attack-moe. Come to think of it that makes no sense, hmm. Also she was not in stasis but stashed away. Was that also Five's doing and how did she pull it off? Was the Android even around in the flashbacks scenes? I don't think she was.

Maybe she had been loyal to the Raza's original owners (I highly doubt the ship was legally acquired) and had to be stashed away by the crew once they had managed to overpower her (and we know from season one that wasn't exactly hard to do). Her attack-program would make sense then. Should she ever regain the data lost by Two rebooting her in the pilot things could get even more interesting.

Loyal to the former owners( don't have to be the original ones, the Raza could have changed hands many times - I wonder who build it, the ship is quite advanced and apparently a non-negligible treath to a company destroyer) is possible. After all, she was sealed into that crate while the way she functoned during the rest of S1 suggests she should have been monitoring the ship and avoid a situation like the emergency at the very start of the show.

So, why was she sealed in?

Not "hacked" yet is one possibility, allthough Two did wipe her memories (and deactivate the kill protocol) very easily afterwards.

Another possibility is that she malfunctioned (maybe she simply turned on the crew because of criminal acts like the attack on Hrotghars people) and was shut down. She continues to be unstable, though not in a way that has been seriously impeding with her functions.

I hope we get an explanation - or at least a start of it - in the coming run of episodes.

Hanahope;

Six is critically injured. Devon is a doctor. I think that the latter is going to prove his worth by saving the former - once the needed equipment/supplies are secured.

9 hours ago, sjohnson said:

^^^Yes, Kal Varrick is Griffin Jones' real name. I've quit thinking of any of them by their numbers, except Two, who really doesn't want to be Portia Lin any more. The others have re-committed themselves to being who they were before.

It's an interesting comment, but I disagree. The fact they pointedly haven't dropped their numbers shows they have not recommitted themselves to being who they were before. Yes, their original personalities are coming out somewhat, but 1) I feel the jury is still out on just how much they have - first, it's not like we've seen a whole lot of what they were like before they came out of stasis, and second, the tension between who they were before and who they might be/might become now is too interesting for the show to just have resolved already. I think that's something the writers will continue to play with all through this season. We have seen them do some hard things, but we've also seen that this is a harsh universe where you have to be at least somewhat willing to do hard things in order to survive. It's not possible for them to be completely different from who they were and stay alive. But there's currently still quite a lot of ground, I feel, between what they are now and what they were before, and Five seems to agree with that since even though she remembers what they were like before, the vote over whether to space her, and why she wiped all their memories, these last two episodes she's been consistent that she considers them her friends and she wanted nothing more than to be back with them. Which is not to say that there isn't going to be a plotline where Five has trouble trusting certain of the others, but that she's even willing to be around them, to try, says a lot about the differences she sees in them.

If nothing else, the crew has formed bonds with each other now, and as long as those bonds continue, that alone makes them better people than before and will keep them from fully falling back into their past selves. They'll probably have trouble with trust given last season's finale, but they spent a lot of last season saving each other, refusing to leave each other behind, and that doesn't just fall away.

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:23 PM, mjc570 said:

I liked this episode a lot - I'm glad they wrapped up the prison thing, and I like the new additions (the medic guy, Arax, Nyx and the swordswoman), so I hope they stick around, or show up later.  The android was awesome, and 5/Emily really showed how smart she is.  For some reason, 3/Boone was looking especially good, for the first time I saw him as a handsome man.  I can't believe they killed of Franke Potente already!   The only thing I did not like -the cartoonishly evil businesswoman.

I laughed at her boobs of doom. Yep, that's evil business attire all right.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:56 AM, MissLucas said:

As for the 'asset' - I took it that Reynaud was jokingly referring to Five because she's after the key Five stole and not because Five was connected to her in some other way before she became whatever is the equivalent of a street-urchin in their universe.

I wanted to take it that way, but this show has used all sorts of tropes (in a fresh fashion, imo), and one big trope is the orphan/unknown who, as it turns out, is the most important person in the universe. I don't want it to go that way, I'd rather have it be about the key she stole, pocket universes are much more interesting to me (iirc, that's what they said it could create). But given that we don't know anything about Five's early childhood except that her parents (presumably) died in a shuttle crash, there is a lot of room to play with her being special in some way - just as Two is special because she's the result of genetic experiments.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2016 at 11:46 AM, sjohnson said:

On 7/12/2016 at 0:27 PM, FurryFury said:

Well she's not really Portia Lin. I think her real name is something different, but I don't remember what.

Props to anyone who chooses to use their real names, but I ain't doing it.  I may have considered it before, but now that nearly half the crew has a real name and an alias.  It's just to much work for me.  

You know even in a cheesy sci-fi show, I can't buy the idea of a mixed gender prison.  Rape is no longer a thing in the future?   Sure Nyx and 2 can protect themselves but I doubt the average female prisoner (and yes there were a few of them) could defend themselves in the same manner.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, maczero said:

Props to anyone who chooses to use their real names, but I ain't doing it.  I may have considered it before, but now that nearly half the crew has a real name and an alias.  It's just to much work for me.  

You know even in a cheesy sci-fi show, I can't buy the idea of a mixed gender prison.  Rape is no longer a thing in the future?   Sure Nyx and 2 can protect themselves but I doubt the average female prisoner (and yes there were a few of them) could defend themselves in the same manner.

I had the distinct impression that they were aware of the sexual violence issue at least regarding the guards demanding "favors" from the female inmates.  I thought it was supposed to be another example of how littlee the GA cared once they threw people into the prison.