Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Winter's Fury

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, candall said:

Occasionally I've thought this show should be called Hungry instead of Alone.  But then again, no, because I think I know what gets them all in the end and it's not hunger.

I'm not an outdoorsy-camper person, but I do have this one semi-relevant experience:  A few years ago, an ice storm came along and barricaded my little dirt lane with half a dozen shattered oak trees.  I didn't know the storm had knocked the whole county on its ass, with miles of utility poles sheared off at ground level and two dozen small towns immobilized--or that I had several weeks ahead with no power, heat or plumbing before a bulldozer came along.   I wasn't out in the woods, no bears, but it was still kind of a hairy situation, with indefinite duration and an odd bonus measure of uncertainty about what was going on outside me-world.

I had about fifty issues more immediate than "lack of human contact" so sometimes I snort at all the waah-waahing from the Aloners, but then I try to imagine my whole experience without books?  The full daylight hours were short and busy--chipping out wood, melting ice for water, not breaking my leg--but it started getting dusky around 4:15 and if I dozed off for more than two hours at night, the fire would go out, the freezing cold came blasting down the chimney and the whole place turned into Dr. Zhivago. 

So the one thing I dreaded was running out of flashlight batteries, because without reading, I'd start dwelling on negative thoughts.  I'm cold.  My face is really cold.  My nose is especially cold.  Frostbite?  The nose is the first to go.  Is it that cold?  No.  This is ridiculous.  Come on, flashlight, let's go, stay with me.  What page was I on? 

I had a mini tap-out every night, disappearing into a book.

I think the show title should be:  "Hundreds of Hours With Nothing To Distract You From Your Physical Discomfort Or Otherwise Occupy Your Mind."

wow that's quite a story!   I can only imagine being without power for that long  in the cold and no way to know the extent of the damage or duration or access to any news.   What did you eat?  ( hmm I guess that's My focus)  

I have to think it's not real 'hunger" that they experience (unless they are without food ) but cravings  I still think the monotony of the diet has to be a factor.  But just one more piece of the suck factor when there is "nothing to distract you from your  physical discomfort ..."   

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, crabatha said:

About Jose & the mussels: I worked in the restaurant business for a million years, and every time I had to be re-certified by ServeSafe, I'd freak when reading about Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning. (PSP) You can't tell if shellfish are contaminated by looking at them, there's no difference in taste, and there's no antidote. You can suffocate to death w/in a half an hour.

That's sort of where I'm at with mushrooms. Sure, I know plenty of people can tell an edible 'room at a glance, but that's not me. Now, give me plenty of time to wander around the woods with someone who can teach me what is and is not safe and I may change my mind. But, until I'm confident that I can tell what's what, I'd stick with the seaweed. And that doesn't mean I'm right 99% of the time, because that means #100 might do me in.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Joan Z said:

I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to trap larger game. When I mentioned about making traps, i was actually thinking about smaller game like squirrels, bunny or bird. Or at least make fish or crab traps. When Nicole checked her gillnet, there was a flock of geese a few feet away from her. Idk if she hunts but I'd like to think that if she's in a real survival situation and not in a TV show with a bunch of limitations, one of those geese would be her meal. Heck, I'd like to think the minks would be David's meal if he's in real survival situation. The same thing with cutting trees - i'm pretty sure there are some rules on what trees they can and can't use that prevents many of them from building a better shelter. 

Next season could be interesting if they have different do's and donts since next season sets in Patagonia. Surely the hunting and wildlife laws are different in Patagonia and VI, right?! 

I don't know about the bears or cougars, but I am positive that Sam said last season that most of the small game is just gone on VI because of the cougars. Maybe someone else can comment on that who lives there, but I think that is true. I remember Desmond saying that he was gonna get a bear, but I don't know if he was allowed to, but that is what he said. 

36 minutes ago, Joan Z said:

I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to trap larger game. When I mentioned about making traps, i was actually thinking about smaller game like squirrels, bunny or bird. Or at least make fish or crab traps. When Nicole checked her gillnet, there was a flock of geese a few feet away from her. Idk if she hunts but I'd like to think that if she's in a real survival situation and not in a TV show with a bunch of limitations, one of those geese would be her meal. Heck, I'd like to think the minks would be David's meal if he's in real survival situation. The same thing with cutting trees - i'm pretty sure there are some rules on what trees they can and can't use that prevents many of them from building a better shelter. 

Next season could be interesting if they have different do's and donts since next season sets in Patagonia. Surely the hunting and wildlife laws are different in Patagonia and VI, right?! 

Unfortunately, I actually doubt that it's less restricted in Patagonia. Probably the less inhabited  remote and 'pristine"  the wilderness the more protected it probably is.  Just my guess.   Likely even a decent chunk of change for permits to even do this there. 

I wish they would list some of these restrictions on the website. It would help answer a lot of questions and give us a better perspective.      

I hadn't thought about squirrels, birds and such.  Or yeah, crab traps (for sure) and fish traps.  There was so little of his whole experience shown..If he had any issues with anything at all other than the boat and salmon run they never showed it.   It made it really difficult to assess his 'survival' and endurance.    

(edited)

The time has come for Alone forum posters to put their prognosticating powers into play.

Three Remain: David, Jose, Larry.

If you want to participate, please answer in this format for simplicity.

Number of Day For the Win________.

I do not want _________ to win.

Because...

I want ____________to win the 500K.

Because...

The winner will be_____________.

Because...

No BS answers like, any of the final 3 is fine with me.

Definitive answers.  

Take a stand, formulate an opinion, or as Larry would so eloquently put it... Sh*t or get off the pot.

Any posts after the start of the final 2 shows on Thursday 9pm EST will be too late.

Optional:

Fuck:

Marry:

Kill:

This for our amusement, be kind if you disagree with someone's answers.

Shout out to the posters who have to wait a week between the last 2 shows: Canadian History Channel blows.

Thank you for your participation, you are far too kind.

Edited by humbleopinion
More nonsense, thx seasick and ClareWalks
(edited)

I do not want _____Larry____ to win.

Because...he is a font of negativity

I want ______David______to win the 500K.

Because...Nicole is gone, so why not, homeboy needs the cash

The winner will be______Jose_______.

Because...this seems to be too easy for him.

For the record, my Fuck Marry Kill would be Larry (angry sex is hot), Jose (he is useful) and David (death by Canadian Eagle).

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Number of Day For the Win    69  (cuz I'm twelve)

I do not want Jose to win.   

Because......... I relate more to Larry and David and Jose bored me with the endless boat building.

I want David to win the 500K.  

Because.......he is surviving well after I was sure he would tap.  I like Larry and he is surviving but not as well.  Larry also seems like he at least has a job, I don't think David does. 

The winner will be.....Jose.       

Because......no one I ever root for wins.

F - Larry, he would also make me laugh.

K - Jose, I don't want to F (too much slow, instructional talking) or M (don't want to M anyone) him, so K it is (sorry Jose!)

M - David, to take all his money haha!!

Edited by raven
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Number of Day For the Win:  My earlier bid was 62.

I do not want JOSE to win because I think he's using his wife as an excuse when, really, he miscalculated, tanked the salmon run, is too arrogant to admit he didn't devise any backup plan and now he's in the same boat (hee) as everyone else--hungry.

I want DAVID to win the 500K because he appears to be adjusting to the adverse conditions by getting more determined and that's admirable.

The winner will be DAVID because he's had the most recent full stomach.

Optional:

Marry Jose.  Looks like he's not home all that much.

Kill Larry.  BE GONE with all your whinging and complaining, and also your screaming joy at winning your Man vs. Mouse vendetta; you're both just trying to get something to eat.

Fuck. . .oh, no.  Not the missionary--that's just a fornication cliche'.  Am I allowed to pick Jose again, and specify the same reason?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

For the record, my Fuck Marry Kill would be Larry (angry sex is hot), Jose (he is useful) and David (death by Canadian Eagle).

Good point.  Jose can fix stuff, when he drops by home every now and then

Spoiler

for sex.

• Love 3

Number of days     66

I do not want Jose to win

Because  He annoys me

I want  Larry  to win

Because It'll hopefully improve his self esteem and may be truly transformative.  Although David needs the money he has had some very interesting experiences in his life.  This may open Larry up to seeing new possibilities. I had to forgive him for the mouse thing.  Not easy.

I think Larry will win                                                                                        t                                                                       Although I'm tempted to say David,  Larry is so used to being miserable  I think he can withstand even more.  

F: none of them do it for me , but I'd be willing to give each a tumble.  They might surprise me.

M:  Jose.  He'd be plenty busy building me a beautiful log cabin with gorgeous woodwork inside. He probably responds well to compliments.  Could get him to do all sorts of stuff.    

K: myself  I think if I had to be with any long term.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I don't know about the bears or cougars, but I am positive that Sam said last season that most of the small game is just gone on VI because of the cougars. Maybe someone else can comment on that who lives there, but I think that is true. I remember Desmond saying that he was gonna get a bear, but I don't know if he was allowed to, but that is what he said. 

Well, my Google search indicates there are deer and rabbit. I think it's more a case of being in the wrong area for hunting. From my reading it seems rabbits are abundant in parts of the Island. Seems humans brought in non native rabbits, and of course they did what bunnies do, and now they're over populated in areas. Problem is, the rabbits prefer open spaces, like clearings created by logging, and our contestants are stuck in the coastal forest. And yes there are deer, but again it seems our guys are in the wrong area.

That's both good and bad news. Seems the mule and black tail deer populations are concentrated elsewhere on the island, and since they're the preferred prey for the cougars and wolves, those predators are also concentrated elsewhere. That doesn't stop the occasional wolf or cougar from passing through, but generally the predators will hang around what they prefer to eat.

• Love 1

Number of Day For the Win: 64

I do not want Jose to win.

Because... he is out there for fame, notice, not for the money. He wastes time and energy, sucks the life out of the air. And he irritates me.

I want  David to win the 500K.

Because... His kids will be able to go to college, and I think he's shown the most growth. I think this was probably the best experience of his life in terms of getting over divorce and moving on.

The winner will be Larry, probably, if he can stop crying

Because... he's too damn stubborn to quit.

Fuck: None of these guys, sorry

Marry: Again... none.... LOL, I have the perfect boyfriend

Kill: A mouse

• Love 2

Everyone's responses to the Kill is cracking me up!

Do not want to win:  Larry, because he irritates me and I've had enough of the whining.

I want to David to win because I've always liked him.  Even when he was sad-sack David, I found him myself rooting for him.

Will probably win:  Larry, because I feel the bit with him sobbing on his knees is a mis-direct by the editors.  I think he would stay out there until he starves himself, he's so stubborn.

so....

F:  Jose - Latin Lover.  Enough explanation

M:  David - because he seems down to Earth and the most relatable.

K:  Larry.  I'll hit him with a rock and then slit his little throat. 

• Love 2

I am worried if Larry taps out.   Can you imagine the hissy fit the guy is going to have if he finds out he was only one or two people away from a half million dollars?  The expletives might actually pollute the air and water (or maybe he will really try to burn the place down this time).

• Love 9

Patagonia has feral cattle that I believe you're able to hunt. I vaguely remember an episode of Survivorman in Patagonia where Les Stroud had a rifle for that purpose. 

Assuming next season's contestants get dropped off near a point where there is a feral cattle population, it could create some interesting food possibilities that aren't present on V.I. A single cow or bull would last a very long time if they're able to hunt one and preserve and store the meat. A bow might be worth taking as one of the 10 items, assuming that firearms of any kind will be strictly off limits.

On the other hand feral cattle are not to be trifled with, and can injure or kill if provoked, so I wonder if the show runners would put them as off limits even if they can be legally hunted.

• Love 1

Number of Day For the Win   84-86   (I think this is what I said in the other thread, so I will stick with it-they just jumped 12 days, so I could see this happening-maybe)

I do not want  Larry  to win.

Because...I think others are more deserving and have gotten more out of the experience. Larry was just BORED. 

I want  Jose to win the 500K.

Because...He was my pick from the beginning and I think the editing hid him (I said this in episode 1 or 2) for some reason. I just think he is more quiet about his struggles compared to the others. 

The winner will be Jose. 

Because..I will stay with my theory from the beginning, they hid him because it was too obvious that he would win. (although, I would now be happy with a David win-watch out for the Canada Eagles David!).

Optional:

Fuck: Jose-he can go Medieval International fighting on me (or Mitch from season 1)

Marry: No one-don't believe in it anymore. Still trying to get rid of the one I currently have.

Kill: Larry (I would want to kill his unhappiness and sorrow so that he could be happy in life). 

• Love 2

Number of Day For the Win 72.

I do not want  Jose   to win.

Because making us watch him build his boat bored us to angry tears.

I want Pastor David to win the 500K.

Because I want to see his shame as he blows through the 500K in 6 months leaving a trail of Golden Corral buffet receipts, strippers and rib/fried chicken bones.

The winner will be Dave.

Because...mmmm...ribs.

Kill: Larry by a Giant Dead Fall Trap Set.

Triggered by Kia Soul Hamsters.

I'd watch that.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Optional:

Fuck: Jose-he can go Medieval International fighting on me (or Mitch from season 1)

Marry: No one-don't believe in it anymore. Still trying to get rid of the one I currently have.

Kill: Larry (I would want to kill his unhappiness and sorrow so that he could be happy in life).

Oh RHN, pffffffffft!  Flag on the FuckMarryKill play.  No one's looking to hotfoot it down the aisle, let alone with these bozos.

No sexy times if you punt on the other two--the ref will now pull Jose off you.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, candall said:

Oh RHN, pffffffffft!  Flag on the FuckMarryKill play.  No one's looking to hotfoot it down the aisle, let alone with these bozos.

No sexy times if you punt on the other two--the ref will now pull Jose off you.

Oh ok!  :)

Marry: Jose. He can build me an ember blower and a kayak. Although if he is anything like the RL carpenter I am married to, t will be years before any of those projects are completed. ;)

Who would have thunk at the beginning of this season that the final three would be Jose, David, and fucking-Larry?

Jose, yeah.  I figured he'd be in it for the long haul, but I've been pretty disappointed with his tunnel vision on the canoe and the salmon run.  But I had David and fucking-Larry pegged as early tap-outs.  Shows what I know.  I think David is holding out because he really, truly, wants and needs the money.  He's motivated by external factors, so even if internally he wants to give up and get some good BBQ, he won't--unless he has to because of some other external factor, like illness or injury.  Fucking-Larry is still there from sheer cussedness.  Both literally and figuratively.

Number of Day For the Win: 69

I do not want  to win: Larry

Because of how he treats mice

I want  Jose to win the 500K.

Because he was my pick from the start and won't change that and he is from Canada.

The winner will be David

Because he deserves it more than the 2 and he is in it for the money.

Fuck then kill: Larry

Marry: David, get the money too! hahaha

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Who would have thunk at the beginning of this season that the final three would be Jose, David, and fucking-Larry?

Jose, yeah.  I figured he'd be in it for the long haul, but I've been pretty disappointed with his tunnel vision on the canoe and the salmon run.  But I had David and fucking-Larry pegged as early tap-outs.  Shows what I know.  I think David is holding out because he really, truly, wants and needs the money.  He's motivated by external factors, so even if internally he wants to give up and get some good BBQ, he won't--unless he has to because of some other external factor, like illness or injury.  Fucking-Larry is still there from sheer cussedness.  Both literally and figuratively.

And I was right there with you. Half the season it was a toss-up whether David was going to starve or Larry was going to blow up the island to get rid of the mouse... but one or the other was a perennial "next one to go." I had Nicole as my early choice to win and Jose a close second. Now Nicole is gone, I don't really care about Jose, and I'm hoping for David to win and Larry to be #2. You're right, who'd a thunk that a month ago.

• Love 1

Yeah, Jose went from being my favorite to the one I care the least about.

Effing Larry scares me while David has grown on me with his perseverance.

With Jose, I hear a giant Wah wah Waaah.  He's really been a bit of a let down. 

However, this probably means he wins it all, since no one I ever like wins.

• Love 2