Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Winter's Fury

• Start Topic

Disappointed to see Nicole leave, and I could not believe Jose ate the mussels when they were told not to. Confirms my statement about him last week that he's not all that smart. 

David and Larry are the only entertainment on the show, for me.

• Love 4

Man, I knew that Nicole had that thousand mile stare. I even typed that I thought she was going to tap. I  thought they were setting us up for a Jose tap, but no, Nicole. Despite her having so much food early, it seems like she had nothing once the salmon run stopped. Aw man. It really was a lot about the food(IMO).  I think that she would have gone longer if she had some food. 

• Love 6

Well, best of luck in your journey, Nicole.  We'll miss you!  

I have to admit that I had convinced myself that nobody was tapping tonight, so that came as a surprise.  It rather scared me when they said it was a 'distress call'.  For a few seconds I imagined all sorts of horrible things! 

It was touching to hear fucking Larry talk about his wife, and create sand art.  

Jose's eating of mussels was (of course) not nearly as worrisome as it seemed from the previews.  

It was an evening of sentiment from Jose, Larry and Nicole for sure.  

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm truly starting to think that David might win this thing.   He seems to grow more positive as time goes on.  The transformation from mopey David to this version is ........interesting!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, riverheightsnancy said:

So, are we ever going to see the dog/wolf or Jose tipping over in his kayak? 

No kidding!  In the last episode we'll probably see a big ass piece of meat tied to a camera by a crew member or something.   The dog/wolf will grab it.  Done deal.  lol

• Love 5

Okay, I only saw the last 24 minutes, so maybe I'll change my mind when I see the whole thing, but . . .

Nicole, I really feel like reaching through the tv and giving you a smack.  You felt your children were well-adjusted and independent enough to get along without you for eight weeks, but then gave up the chance for all the college education money they'd ever need so they wouldn't be without their mother for two, three, four weeks more?  There better be some seriously risky out-of-control unsupervised teenage partying going on at your house for that kind of tradeoff to make any sense.

Did not expect to hear the "I miss my wo-wo-wo-woman" refrain from Jose!

• Love 11

David actually seems stronger mentally now, than he was earlier.  The pitch fire starter lesson was interesting and shows that his mind is not going (F*g Larry) or his mental capabilities not slipping (Jose).

I wonder if this isn't his arch to him winning.

Sad to see Nicole go, Mr. Roamyn & I were leaning to her winning.  But once she mentioned her son's birthday,  I knew that was it.

Larry looks pretty bad off physically this week and emotionally next week.  His story abt his son was moving.  Never would've thought that would come from Larry. 

• Love 7

They've reached the point now where food is much harder to cone by, and the weather is becoming such big factor. They've passed the benchmark set by Alan, but of course it doesn't mean anything. Not only are they not in competition with the first season, they had a much easier first month.

Larry seemed to turn a corner. First positive statements from him about the home life and family life. As he was writing his love message to wife Rachel and talking about his son I couldn't help but wonder if our dear editors may not have been painting a much darker picture all this time. I'm finding him much more interesting now. 

David is definitely in the running now in my mind. As others have said, he and Larry may well be the final two because of their determination to win the big money. The weather is harder now, but he's actually finding more food then when the weather was nice, while Larry, at least in the previews, seems to be giving a hard time feeding himself. David seems to have an edge simply because he's still keeping his mind body with his daily "chores."

Don't know what to think about Jose. Like MostlyContent said, the dramatic buildup of his decision to establish the mussels turned into an almost non-event. Although his reasoning may have been, as he said, "a hungry man's" what he was saying made sense. Wonder if he could use that buoy 

• Love 4
(edited)

It's amazing to me how philosophical being alone in the woods for almost 2 months makes people.  Amazing and inspiring, especially from Larry.  This is what I was hoping to see.  None of the excuses and boredom of those who tapped out earlier, but letting the experience make them appreciate their blessings in life.  It's also amazing how great a few crab can make David look and feel.  I hope he doesn't do something stupid and wins this.  I have been rooting for him for a few weeks now.  I was expecting Nicole to tap soon so her leaving was no great surprise to me, only I thought it would be primarily over her general deteriorating health and lack of food, not missing her kids.  I thought perhaps Jose would tap out before her but it looks like that might be coming in the next episode.  David and Larry will likely be the final two unless Jose finds new reasons to stay, which I doubt he will.  He's already talking about the prize being his wife, not the money so why stay?  I predicted that he would last almost to the end but end up leaving before the winner.

I loved how Larry, Nicole and even David with the mink talked about all the wildlife as if they knew each other by now.  It reminded me of when I was a kid and felt closer to nature than I do now.  I used to know every stray cat and dog in the neighborhood and where they lived, and felt like they knew me.  I saw the same birds every morning, the same ducks out in the pond, etc.  It's amazing and regrettable how the distractions of life take one away from those simple things.

I get the feeling that at least some of those left had the mental cut-off date of Alan's departure in mind and might have been using that as their goal - If they made it to that date they would feel they have fulfilled their purpose there.  Now without that they may mentally have a rougher time lasting much longer.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 9
(edited)

Crazy thing, didn't get my whole post, and then won't let me edit ?.... here's my last two paragraphs

Don't know what to think about Jose. Editing hints that he may quit, but who knows with the way the editors do things. I remember towards the end last season, both Alan and Sam were shown to be ready to tap, then both came back and said they were determined to stay. Like MostlyContent said, the dramatic buildup of his decision to establish the mussels turned into an almost non-event. Although his reasoning may have been, as he said, "a hungry man's reasoning" what he was saying made sense. Wonder if he could use that buoy to tie a trot line to in the middle of the cove sort of like Lucas did?

Well, Nicole was another who decided she had enough and packed her bags and went home. She was my choice to win it all, but her great weakness was always that she might miss her home and family. Sorry to see her go...

Edited by SRTouch
Correction
  • Love 6

Well, I know it looks bad for Jose, but the editors like to play with us. Jose was my pick from the beginning, so I am gonna stick with my horse all the way to the bitter end. I had Mitch last year, so my track record is not that good. I would prefer a David win to Larry though.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, roamyn said:

David actually seems stronger mentally now, than he was earlier.  The pitch fire starter lesson was interesting and shows that his mind is not going (F*g Larry) or his mental capabilities not slipping (Jose).

I wonder if this isn't his arch to him winning.

Sad to see Nicole go, Mr. Roamyn & I were leaning to her winning.  But once she mentioned her son's birthday,  I knew that was it.

Larry looks pretty bad off physically this week and emotionally next week.  His story abt his son was moving.  Never would've thought that would come from Larry. 

I agree about David looking much stronger now than earlier.

Other thing I totally agree with Larry, who finally had positive things to say about home, about was how much things would improve if only he had a book to read. That would be me - I'd be lost without something to read, but give me some good books and I could stay. Hey, even a bad book ?

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Don't know what to think about Jose. Editing hints that he may quit, but who knows with the way the editors do things. I remember towards the end last season, both Alan and Lucas were shown to be ready to tap, then both came back and said they were determined to stay. Like MostlyContent said, the dramatic buildup of his decision to establish the mussels turned into an almost non-event. Although his reasoning may have been, as he said, "a hungry man's reasoning" what he was saying made sense. Wonder if he could use that buoy to tie a trot line to in the middle of the cove sort of like Lucas did?

I'm wondering why after all that talk about fishing and throwing out the spools Jose ended up resorting to the mussels.  Is he not having much luck with fishing?  Because why risk the mussels if the fishing was working out?  I know I wouldn't have risked it, reasoning or no reasoning.  It was still a risk.  If he is resorting to stuff like that I think his tap out may be sooner rather than later.

• Love 2

I like David talking about how the pair of minks fussed at each other every day, but they still loved each other. I thought that was sweet! I like David now. He has grown as a person.

So sad to see Nicole gone.

As Sansa Stark said, "Winter is here." ;-)

• Love 7
(edited)

Moms with kids... I didn't give them (Nicole and MK) much hope for the win because of that, although Nicole sure stuck it out. Of course with MK we'll never know.. but I can understand missing them and starting to feel a little guilty. It's different with "Dads".   

I think a few of us picked Nicole for the next tap-out.  I was so surprised she did not put-up food (greens) and mushrooms for slim times after the frost.   She knew it was going to come sooner or later.  I really don't get it.  I was sure she would be the one who thought ahead on that stuff. 

The 56-57 days these guys had didn't compare  (weather -wise) to last season's 56 days, that's for sure!   But I understand how that number can get into your head as a goal even if just subliminal.   Don't know if it was David, Larry or both saying okay.. (we hit 56)  "how much longer..how much longer."   That idea that it could be any day now..  or.. not.    Gotta make you crazy!!  Glad to see David just pushing it out of his head and forcing himself to keep motivated and to not just "wait".  

I think David may take the win, but my money is still on 'dark horse' Larry. There''s something about him that makes me think this 'win' --more than even the money-- will be a huge transformative thing for him.  He is so hard on himself-- this win would give him a lighter perspective on himself I believe.  I think Jose will tap next, and very soon. Once you've convinced yourself you don't care about the money, there's no reason to stay through tough times.

ETA: I chose 66 days (I think) as my prediction upthread.  At the beginning of this ep I thought they''d be there much longer...  by the end I wonder if they'll make 66!

Edited by seasick
  • Love 5

Nicole started this thing knowing she'd be away from her kids with absolutely no contact. I couldn't have done it. She did get the best spot available this season so she had it easier than the others. She ran out of salmon, tapped, and then used the kids as her excuse.  

• Love 7
(edited)

I think the psychological impact of hitting Day 57 had to be HUGE.  That was really the only marker they had, calendar-wise.  Once that goal is achieved, there's no other "number" to shoot for and with time stretching ahead interminably, whatever morale you had mustered would just start hemorrhaging.  Back up the deadly dumptruck of depression.

I think a crew shows up every week for a look-see and a battery exchange, right?  I wonder if the survivalists? contestants? campers? all make themselves crazy searching for "clues."  Hmmmm, based on the time the boat arrived and the heft of the battery bag, maybe they're only making two stops!  Did that medic give me a secret wink--am I close?  "So what time does the cafe' close for lunch?  Think you'll make it back in time?"

I'd love to hear some production notes about how they maintain neutrality without leaking information.  Or maybe they don't.  With people this starved for interaction, it would be easy to push an agenda one direction or another, with little things as subtle as an eyebrow lift.

Either way, the medic and the PA with the battery packs probably aren't trained to be masters of deception.  Wouldn't it be so interesting to observe one of these visits?  But I guess they'll never pull the curtain back that far.

Edited by candall
  • Love 5

I think they all use the excuse, "well, I've done my thing so it's ok" to justify tapping, when in reality, they just can't handle it any longer.

I'm wondering about Jose eating the mussels and what could have happened had they been tainted. I wonder if he was allowed to call on the sat phone and say, "hey, I'm eating these and if you don't hear from me in a few hours come check on me," or maybe the next day was a check up day anyway and he thought someone would be there if he did get sick.

Because of editing, we don't know if what happens to Jose next week is before or after someone taps.

I'm rooting for David because I was so negative toward him in the beginning. He has stepped up. I really liked his demonstration of making the pitch fire starter. I would have liked to see more of those type things.

Larry. Larry. Larry. Thousand. Yard. Stare.

I think he may surprise us. Any woman knows a good cry can ease a lot of burdens.

• Love 6

I knew Nicole was gonna tap out as soon as her luck ran out.

David making enough pitch fire starter for a couple of weeks makes me think he's gonna win this thing.  I don't see anyone else thinking more than a day ahead.

• Love 6

Nicole was wearing a Lucas Hat and we got a glimpse of it in her waning minutes on the show.

Lucas put the eyes on the back of his hat last season to make the pumas think that he was watching them and they couldn't ambush him from the back while he worked.

Enjoyed the footage of the deconstruction of her shelter.

David has his "Joy" moment of clarity and has come up with the  first "Alone"inspired product soon to be REI shelves near you.

Alone Fire Starter Kit

Cedar shavings infused with highly flammable resin.

Organic, sustainable.

No trees were harmed in the procuring of the ingredients.

The final 3 will duke it out in Back to Back episodes next week.

Set your DVRs accordingly if you aren't going to watch it in real time.

The teases reveal:

Larry will have a Come to Jesus moment over a bucket.

Jose's GoPro takes a dip.

However, Jose's outrigger should keep him from doing a barrel roll, right?

• Love 3

I know nothing about kayaks or outriggers except what I have seen when Hawaiians greet tourists. Those outriggers reach way far out from the boats. Aren't Jose's a bit short? C'mon someone in the group has experience and knows?

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, candall said:

I think the psychological impact of hitting Day 57 had to be HUGE.  That was really the only marker they had, calendar-wise.  Once that goal is achieved, there's no other "number" to shoot for and with time stretching ahead interminably, whatever morale you had mustered would just start hemorrhaging.  Back up the deadly dumptruck of depression.

Either way, the medic and the PA with the battery packs probably aren't trained to be masters of deception.  Wouldn't it be so interesting to observe one of these visits?  But I guess they'll never pull the curtain back that far.

I was surprised that Jose was actually that in-tune to those days and he did seem to make that his personal benchmark. I thought he was much more zen than all that, but maybe that is his struggle as well. I hope it is misdirect regarding him because last season it was that way as well. There were moments when Alan talked about tapping (just a tad), so you never know. I am disappointed in the shelters of all that are left (including Nicole). I wish Mike were still in it. If they are REALLY thinking, "I could be here a year", why are their shelters so flimsy? Mike or Randy would have had much more stability in a shelter, I think Mike for sure. He is the only one that I really would have liked to see where he would be at today compared to the others in respect to his shelter and the SS Barbara. I bet Mike would have been smoking fish. I hope that they talk to him after the show is done. I would really like to catch up with him. 

When we also saw Alan last year, the team talked to him a little, but it was more about doing his vitals and stuff. (at least that is what we saw). 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 3

I loved Nicole from the beginning.  I get missing your kids.  When a mother has some time away from her kids, the longing can be unbearable. 

However, let's get real.  Nicole you did not tap out because all of a sudden after two months, your kids needed you.  You tapped out because YOU missed your family and were starving.  I do not think Nicole was motivated enough by the money to endure that misery plus the cold.  I wish her the best.

Larry and David need for the pay out has helped them get through the tough times.

I can not believe I am saying this, but I want Larry and David to win before Jose.  The editing has really made Jose seem like a spacey loopy weirdo.  He has amazing skill, but seems to be lacking in common sense. 

• Love 8

I'm saddened by Nicole's tap-out, but not surprised.  I don't have kids, but I understand the bond is strong between kids and moms.  As soon as she started talking about her youngest's birthday and missing it, I figured she'd tap.  A shame, but there you have it.  She really did well during her time out there, and I still love her attitude about being out in the wild.  She ain't scared'a no bears!

I'm disappointed that Larry's son even knew he hated going to work every day.  I mean, most of us aren't keen on it, but that knowledge is something you don't burden your children with!  You risk making THEM feel like a burden.  Glad he mentioned how much he loves his wife though.  Probably one of the most upbeat moments we've had with Effen Larry.  That, and mouse killing.  LOL

I still love Jose.  He's just so serene and laid back that he doesn't make for great tv, but he's really capable.  He knows his stuff and he could live out there forever, if he chose to.  And awwwwwwww - he loves his wife as well, and feels like she's a prize.  And I bet she is.  I won't feel bad if he taps, as he really doesn't need the money, living as he does up in Alaska.  I'm sure he could use it, but he doesn't NEED it to feel as if his life was good.

I'm loving David these last couple of episodes.  He, too, knows his bushcraft.  And he's getting less morose all the time.  Loved the minks and his comments on them.  I could feel happy for him if he wins, as he clearly could use the money - he could send his kids to college, which would be great for them.  I wonder if David's initial sad-sackiness was due to his divorce, or the reason FOR the divorce.  Enquiring minds want to know!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Nicole started this thing knowing she'd be away from her kids with absolutely no contact. I couldn't have done it. She did get the best spot available this season so she had it easier than the others. She ran out of salmon, tapped, and then used the kids as her excuse.  

Although I cut her slack for the kids 'reason' I think you are right.  These are the ghosts that arrive when things get tough. The distinction with Larry and David is that they are drawing upon their kids to keep them going.  David talking about the tough financial times, and Larry recalling his son calling him his 'hero'.  This is where they have an advantage.  

With those that use the excuse "I have done what I set out to do"  I call that a "shrug-out" . "Eh, winning...money--it's not worth it.  I'm out"  especially when they really had not faced hard times, cruel weather, or a breakdown.  I think Mike's 'shrug out' was the most wasteful of a spot others could have taken.  (of course Randy and Justin were disappointments too.)

(Tried to do more quotes--they came inside the other quote--just wasn't cooperating)

Candall  interesting about looking for clues from the production team.  I'm sure (or at least Hope!) that they give nothing away.  However if they arrived late in the day I'd think "damn! there's probably a bunch left!"   I wonder if the contestants try to "psych" each other out (maybe subtly) during the week they prepare.  Thinking of Jose with his talk of "wilderness living" and all the indigenous experiences he's had.   I know I'd probably be thinking 'that GD Jose"-- with all the fantasies *we* had about Jose's cabin and 'feet up' lifestyle he was going to provide for himself--  I'm sure they may be thinking the same.!  However when it comes to the ethics of production I am still very suspicious about Randy and the fire problem. Perhaps a lighter 'fell out of someone's pocket'..  the fact that his fire problem was never, ever spoken about is suspect to me. (Just saying... It's my little 'thorn'  :)  )

Ina I agree about the outriggers and had my doubts too about how short they are and how high they are.  I felt I had to eat my words since one cannot argue with success, but I still think although somewhat helpful, there is not enough buoyancy to offset his weight in a major  tip.  

And I also don't 'get' the little 'reel' Jose was "setting".  I understand the cleverness of it unraveling itself --but how do you "set" that?  Even a crab can drag that off somewhere.  I think this was a 'show' of another one of his indigenous tools before he taps.  In fact his comment that " I came out here to prove to the world what skills I have and what I can do"...  surprised me.  I never thought he was out there to 'prove" anything to 'the world".   It was a side of Jose that in the end is very telling to me.  I think he still has a little work to do on his 'humble"-ness.

• Love 6
(edited)

Like to imagine that the battery drop off crew are wearing the white jumpsuits with face coverings like the caregivers who raise condors do with the arm/hand covering decorated to look like a mother condor's face.

But the drop off crew are probably bored and burned out production crew members who smell like coffee and danish, driving the starving Aloners crazy.

Mike's touchy feelings is still on VI in form of Jose and most shockingly of all...Larry.

Larry's proclamation of love for his wife was poignant.

Jose's nice words about his wife's love is the prize rang pretty hollow because it was the voice over the scene with him standing on the rock with the sunset (editors faking us out, once again) but didn't end with him pushing the tap out button.

What is Jose going to build out of his beach find?

What ancient and mystical method did he learn from an elder in one of those remote villages he lived in how to recycle a blue plastic barrel?

Edited by humbleopinion
more nonsense
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, seasick said:

I think this was a 'show' of another one of his indigenous tools before he taps.  In fact his comment that " I came out here to prove to the world what skills I have and what I can do"...  surprised me.  I never thought he was out there to 'prove" anything to 'the world".   It was a side of Jose that in the end is very telling to me.  I think he still has a little work to do on his 'humble"-ness.

As a Jose fan I was surprised by that as well. I think he is harder to read because he is quite reserved and doesn't disclose a lot. This was the first week (that they showed us), that he talked about other stuff. It humanized him, but I also think he may tap next, but we will see. The previews make it look bad for Larry (I think it was Larry). 

• Love 3

I think the minute Larry started killing mice it turned around his attitude - there is a food source that will continue through the winter without him having to get wet. 

I think a lot of them had the goal of staying past Alan's date and it is a strong push to leave after that, they have achieved a benchmark. I am wondering if Nichole did not think she would be home for her son's birthday because people would tap by that date. But they started earlier and that gave them more food, they just did not work. I agree that is a huge benchmark that will affect mindsets. 

Don't start me on 100k not being enough to pay for college at this point of the US. I have relatives off to college and broke. 

• Love 3

I think the winner will go three months. I am basing this on nothing but a wild guess. Larry is such a downer but maybe that fuels him. I just can't see the winner being someone who streams negativity from every orifice like he does.

Super bummed Nicole left. She had the skill but not the will. Godspeed.

David is getting better by the week. His crab fishing is keeping him better fed than anyone. He is working with the land and finding a sustainable protein source, good for him. I wouldn't be pissed if he won.

Jose eating the mussels...I was like "Nooooooo" but it turned out that his educated guess that they were okay was correct. I can't say it's a risk I'd have taken but I admire that he can take risks, since he'd demonstrated that he was almost TOO methodical with the kayak. I also think that his talk about missing his wife was mostly just talk. I think he could last indefinitely out there and they need to make him seem more fallible.

David, Jose, and Fuckin' Larry. May the best man win.

• Love 4

Holy crap, I'm in the tank for Fuckin' Larry. Go, man, go. At first his @$!!#&? tirade-tantrums were hilarious to me...but I'm actually touched by how, as time wears on, he's mellowed and become more philosophical. It seems as though he's realized that, no matter how he curses the "darkness" (tree root/pokey branch/sneaky rodent/etc.), the universe and the wilderness are completely indifferent. And so he's just hanging in there...singing little songs about how it is still boring and cold and difficult, but taking small joys in the tiniest things. The prize money would be life-changing for anyone, but I feel like Fuckin' Larry has (however inadvertently) given himself the time to step back and really think about the rest of his days, the changes he wants to make, and the ways in which that would be even easier with half a million dollars. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, pagooey said:

Holy crap, I'm in the tank for Fuckin' Larry. Go, man, go. At first his @$!!#&? tirade-tantrums were hilarious to me...but I'm actually touched by how, as time wears on, he's mellowed and become more philosophical. It seems as though he's realized that, no matter how he curses the "darkness" (tree root/pokey branch/sneaky rodent/etc.), the universe and the wilderness are completely indifferent. And so he's just hanging in there...singing little songs about how it is still boring and cold and difficult, but taking small joys in the tiniest things. The prize money would be life-changing for anyone, but I feel like Fuckin' Larry has (however inadvertently) given himself the time to step back and really think about the rest of his days, the changes he wants to make, and the ways in which that would be even easier with half a million dollars. 

This whole thing just makes me wish I'd been documenting Larry-isms this entire time so that I could publish "The Tao of Fuckin' Larry" and make my own million dollars.

• Love 5

I kinda thought, and from the contents I'm in the minority, that Nicole actually tapped out for health reasons. I've no doubt she misses her kids too, and I do believe that "mother's guilt" plays more of a role than fathers', as someone upthread mentioned, the men seem to be using their children as fuel to do well, tough it out, make them proud. 
But to get back to Nicole--once her food sources dried up (thought she'd have more foresight), I think she suffered more than the others because of her MS (especially as she manages it holistically and diet is such a huge part of it). I think because she refuses to use her illness as an excuse, it was by default she said her kids. 
Or not. 
And yeah, when's the wolf/dog/puppy showing up? 

• Love 3

Damn Nicole, that surprised me and I hate that it makes it seem like you lasted so long because you had a good starting location. I thought mentally you would be able to handle the winter because you'd had it so easy for so long. Sigh. She really fucked up not foraging and planning for winter.

I don't like this idea of women feeling sadder about being away from their kids (she left cause shit got tough)... Men not caring (or having a bond) just as much with their kids I guess is fact to some, maybe it's true... 

Question, didn't we learn that Nicole spent time in the African bush, were her kids with her out there with the damn lions? I'm sure she spent at least a month or so away from them at times.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, mythreecents said:

I kinda thought, and from the contents I'm in the minority, that Nicole actually tapped out for health reasons. I've no doubt she misses her kids too, and I do believe that "mother's guilt" plays more of a role than fathers', as someone upthread mentioned, the men seem to be using their children as fuel to do well, tough it out, make them proud. 
But to get back to Nicole--once her food sources dried up (thought she'd have more foresight), I think she suffered more than the others because of her MS (especially as she manages it holistically and diet is such a huge part of it). I think because she refuses to use her illness as an excuse, it was by default she said her kids. 
Or not. 
And yeah, when's the wolf/dog/puppy showing up? 

I know many of us speculated that she would and likely should tap for health reasons but I don't recall her using that as her reason at all.   It may have been on her mind..but if that was the 'real reason' , then it would almost be 'using' her kids for her own pride--she doesn't strike me that way.  Besides, I always think it's never *one* thing on the later tap-outs.   She can't convince me she was still good and content there.  She was cold and hungry too.  

Okay: call me a cynical buzz killer.  but--  here is what I believe will be the sad truth.  We are never going to see the dog/ wolf footage again.   The editors sit in a darkened room with their feet up on the back of the folding chair in front of them fast-forwarding through miles of footage, while passing around a joint.  They basically forget who half the cast is from week to week, and get so tired of watching that if they don't get to someone's footage they just say 'screw it' and they don't make the show.   They lose focus and except for Jose's relentless boat footage, they mostly forget who's doing what.   The editors likely can't bear to watch the show they patched--they are sick of it.  Production was probably doing some pre-show camera checks and somebody's dog came along.   They put it in as a teaser, and haven't thought about it since.  Their explanation?  "Oh that? oh yeah that was some footage taken during a camera check that Cecil did with his dog."  "Oh you thought that was part of the show??    "Oh yeah.... No...." 

• Love 6

The thing about David is his equanimity. He just rolls with it, whatever it is. Sure, he's got problems, he's unhappy about stuff, he complains, but he doesn't take things too seriously and doesn't get too focused on the negatives. I was thinking it would come down to mental toughness, but with him it's like the opposite: mental softness. Just taking it one moment at a time. In his own way, he has a kind of derpy zen quality.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, piequinn35 said:

The show did say they got "distress call" so I thought Jose got poisoned but couldn't be because he was fine

and my husband said no, it's Nicole.

Yeah, I would like to know how they define a "distress call" as opposed to a regular tap-out. That just seemed.......odd.  I wonder if Nicole just did not film her call or if she did but they didn't show it.

Still can't get on the David train. My early dislike has not changed, even though he obviously has. It's interesting that 2 guys who are in it for the money are in the final 3.

Jose was very disappointing with the "I miss my wife" stuff. What happened to being able to "not just survive, but thrive"?

Wow, I guess it's Fuckin' Larry FTW. Strange times, people, strange times.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah, I would like to know how they define a "distress call" as opposed to a regular tap-out. That just seemed.......odd.  I wonder if Nicole just did not film her call or if she did but they didn't show it.

Still can't get on the David train. My early dislike has not changed, even though he obviously has. It's interesting that 2 guys who are in it for the money are in the final 3.

Jose was very disappointing with the "I miss my wife" stuff. What happened to being able to "not just survive, but thrive"?

Wow, I guess it's Fuckin' Larry FTW. Strange times, people, strange times.

I agree.  This should come as no surprise.  I would assume you miss them after about a week--but I would think you're prepared ahead of time to deal with it as part of the challenge.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I find it hard to figure out José. We just didn't see enough of him for me to relate to him. What we saw makes me think he is very goal oriented - to the point of obsession. I think he was so focused on building his kayak and getting to the salmon run, when he found he spent too much time boat building it sent him reeling. So much so that he started questioning whether to continue, and thinking of the things he was missing at home. I'm hoping he'll bounce back and get back into his zen groove.

Hey, this is something he could learn from David and Larry, as they just keep bouncing back. There for a while I was expecting one or the other to tap every week, and like the energizer bunny they just keep going.  As Larry would say, they take a licking and just keep going.......tick...........tock.........tick.........tock.......

I'm good with any of these guys winning, now. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Time to update David's Christian Mingle profile:

Dislikes: Walks on the beach, the sound of rain/sleet/hail, evenings spent in front of a roaring fire, the quiet of a forest, camping

Likes: Ribs, KFC, burgers, beer, buffets -passing on the raw seafood bar.

FYI: Not to be a spoiler alert but I have a 1in 3 chance to.... MAKE IT RAIN....in the near future

Edited by humbleopinion
more nonsense
  • Love 7
(edited)

It's interesting that 2 guys who are in it for the money are in the final 3.

It actually makes perfect sense to me. It's 50+ days suffering on your own in the bush. Why would a person with loved ones make such a sacrifice if not for the money or fame?

The "just for the experience" and "to prove I can survive in the wild" people tapped out a long time ago.

Edited by derriere
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well I see why they never showed us Jose building his shelter because it looked a little rough, very basic.  I guess he just always wanted to build that kayak instead.  I still like his mellow outlook; you can tell that he's used to instructing people, now that the boat is finished I like listening to him.  I felt the same way about Nicole when she was in her teaching moments.  I didn't expect her to tap!  OTOH, she is definitely someone who seems content and happy with her life and so decided a half million wasn't enough to be away from it any longer.  .   I am a little surprised that she wasn't more prepared for winter, maybe she thought the others would be gone by then (the "56 day" mentality). 

21 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

Just taking it one moment at a time. In his own way, he has a kind of derpy zen quality.

Derpy Zen David, works for me.

What a great shot when the minks ran behind David!  That was cute and I liked his reaction to his neighbors :)  He's definitely got into a flow and can appreciate a rainbow too.  Interesting how his mood is improving - though I guess it could be the editing, he could have had up moments earlier and filmed them but the editors decided to create an Eeyore arc for him. 

Fucking Larry, I can't help it, he cracks me up.  Singing about suffering and being happy to eat a mouse, though recognizing he would never eat a mouse in "real life".  Then talking about how it would be a shame if everyone's shelters collapsed (except his) so they all had to tap, hee hee.  "I'm just saying".   Loved hearing that he would like a good book (who wouldn't??) and the "I love you" message in the sand was very sweet, as well as talking about his son.  Most people can relate to being in a life rut and even if he's not the last man standing, I hope this experience revitalizes him as his self awareness increases.

Have no idea who will be last.  Could be David, you can see how they've tried to have an arc for him from depressed to making a go of it with the crabs and pitch; Jose we haven't seen much of, could be because he won or because he hung in there a long time and the editors thought the boat building was the most interesting thing about him; or fucking Larry, who seemed like a sure fire tap early on with lots of issues getting set up (the falling and swearing all make for good viewing I guess) and is now hanging on, counting the hours and hoping he's the winner.

Edited by raven
  • Love 4

Okay, caught up with the first half.  And now I say Nicole's "Waaaa, hate to vacate where I feel happiest and healthiest, but my mother-gut says my kids need me" . . . Hooey!

There's the person who releases the hefty food source fishie (which still makes me silly with happiness, btw) and who learns--foraging for a single, desperately needed, meal--that the cold has killed off the whole damn veg menu.  And then there's the person who makes enough pine sap fire starters to last for weeks.  Who you gonna call, ghostbusters?

Maybe I'm just feeling grinchy and (extra) cynical today, but while I'm riffing on long-term planners, I also think that if Jose had pulled off his masterplan and had salmon jerky stockpiled to the rafters, we probably wouldn't be hearing how wifey is the only prize that matters.  How could that guy, Obi-Wan Wilderness, ever bring himself to say, "Fuck it, I screwed up and I'm starving to death out here:  Mayday!"

I don't speculate much about Larry because I don't know how much to trust Larry's editing.  He didn't really spend an entire week repeating "I'm bored" to the camera.  Has he consumed five thousand tiny protein-packed mouse T-bones we didn't see? 

If Larry wins, he'll be that flimsy little nothin' string of dental floss--that could tow your car in a pinch.

• Love 6

I don't doubt that people who say they're tapping because they miss family aren't sincere, at least for those who stick around for a few weeks. As interesting as the survival stuff is, it really isn't the biggest challenge for the contestants that manage to last a month or two. Anyone who lasts that long has the survival bit down for the most part, and the solitude is the biggest challenge.

Humans, even introverts, are social creatures. Cut anyone off from human contact long enough and it is going to negatively affect their mood. Hell, in extreme cases it can even lead to mental illness.

On top of the solitude they're probably not getting a full night's sleep, might spend some days cold or wet, and may not be getting enough calories. It's not too far-fetched to see all of those combining with the 'alone' aspect of Alone to cause people to get a bit morose, miss home, and start being tempted by the tap button.

It is interesting that the first we've time we've seen Jose be introspective or give what sounds like a pre-tap speech, was after he was done building Noah's ark. He may have missed the salmon run, but I wonder if having a major project for so long enabled him to last as long as he has.

Im convinced at this point that we're not going to see anyone have a close encounter with a wolf, and it just another in a long list of fake-outs in the advertising for upcoming episodes. It's probably just something captured by a stationary camera set up by the show runners, much like some of the footage of eagles and otters and that obviously wasn't filmed by a contestant.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Scaeva said:

Im convinced at this point that we're not going to see anyone have a close encounter with a wolf, and it just another in a long list of fake-outs in the advertising for upcoming episodes. It's probably just something captured by a stationary camera set up by the show runners, much like some of the footage of eagles and otters and that obviously wasn't filmed by a contestant.

Interesting thought!   

4 hours ago, candall said:

Maybe I'm just feeling grinchy and (extra) cynical today, but while I'm riffing on long-term planners, I also think that if Jose had pulled off his masterplan and had salmon jerky stockpiled to the rafters, we probably wouldn't be hearing how wifey is the only prize that matters.  How could that guy, Obi-Wan Wilderness, ever bring himself to say, "Fuck it, I screwed up and I'm starving to death out here:  Mayday!"

Jose is totally under my skin too.  I really don't want him to win.   I don't believe he intended to be there for the long run.  His agenda was--as he said--'prove to the world the skills that I have and what I can do".  If he outlasted everyone before things got cold and nasty, fine.  If not, fine.  His shelter was crap--not prepped for winter and showing off his skills was way more important than getting food stores.  He knew he wouldn't be there over the winter.  He's such a disappointment because I assumed he really did have the skills to last--but-- maybe he just talks a good game.!   His performance so far speaks for itself.   He makes foolish decisions, and he acts aloof. (I don't think that's the editing anymore)

Larry and David are so much more satisfying to watch and far more relatable.   There is fight and passion and vulnerability.  They don't have fancy techniques--they just figure it out and share their thrills when things work out.   

• Love 5

I, too, don't understand the "I need my kids" justification from Nicole when it was clear that she was screwed because of the lack of food sources.  (And why was her tap-out termed "a distress call"?)

Her decision to leave was very sensible; I just don't know why she needed to articulate a reason other than that.

At this point, I have to think the winner will be David, if only because he seems to have hit the jackpot with reliable food sources.

• Love 4