Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Welcome to Your New Home

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:42 PM, atomationage said:

Are they shooting another season of Lost Girl

No.  Lost Girl is done.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:25 AM, snowwhyte said:

learned everyone's number last season. I can't be bothered to learn everyone's name this season

For some reason I still have a hard time remembering which number goes with which person.  I have to go through all of them in my head before I land on it- mostly just 4-6.  I get 1 and 2 confused for a split second because I feel two should really be one, for some reason.  Three is the only one I actually remember.

• Love 2
(edited)

I find it hilarious how wildly different opinions and reasoning on the issue names or numbers are. Some of us struggle with the names while others confuse the numbers. I admit that I keep forgetting the names except Jace Corso for original One (up until this episode not exactly useful especially not because half of the time I think it's Jack Corso) and Portia Lin though I always think that's the name of the actress (sorry Melissa O'Neil) and so I keep calling her Two. Team numbers I guess.

Edited by MissLucas

It did actually take me a while to remember everyone's number and I also confuse one and two. I feel two should be one because she is in charge and a more dominant character than one. 

Maybe it's because the numbers don't have any gender or ethnic heritage associated with them? I watched in first run and re-watched all season one last month but still have to pause a second to remember who is which number.

That three of them have multiple names doesn't help! I've started to think of the current characters as Derrick, Portia, Marcus, Ryo, Emily and Lt. Kal vs mentally referring to them by their numbers when I want to distinguish who they were originally when they woke up on the ship.

But I love the show either way.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm used to forgetting the names of characters on shows - this one included. Sometimes names stick if they're unique enough, or there's some other reason my mind latches on. The numbers worked for me, because I could remember the order they came out of stasis.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 2

So, I've peeked through season one over the past couple of days and now I have to say Six is incredibly naive. He knows or should know that the Raza crew is on four (probably five) corporations hit-list

• Ferrous Corp because the Raza screwed them over in the pilot. (It's mentioned in this episode that Ferrous Corp is pushing for a trial and someone else is pushing back. I wonder on what grounds Ferrous Corp is pushing charges? 'They did not kill the folks we hired them to kill!)
  • The Mikkei Combine because they suspect the Raza of having tampered with the Doomsday device.
  • The Traugott Corp because there's no way they set up that elaborate trap for someone to test-run the Doomsday device without monitoring who would fall for it. Those are also the folks responsible for the Taurian Alpha virus and the ones who wanted the Raza to salvage the ghost-ship. So even if they don't know about the Raza's involvement with the Doomsday device they know that the crew could spill the beans that Traugott broke the quarantine and had plans to pick up banned research.
  • The Volkov Rusi Corporation: the Raza crew could testify that they wanted to acquire the Doomsday device.*

The fact that Six is not a mercenary but a GA officer does not protect him quite the contrary - that makes his removal from the scene a top priority. And he should have known and ask the GA for a quick new undercover assignment. It does not look like he told the authorities anything about what went down since he woke up as an amnesiac. He kept his mouth shut so far so he must be aware of the danger yet hasn't done anything to stop all these folks coming after him - which is odd or just plain dumb.

*Not mentioned here the folks behind the creation of Rebecca/Portia/Two. Scary old dude gave a clear hit order for the whole crew. Six does not know that but it does not require much imagination to figure out that Alex's bosses are not too happy with the crew of the Raza. And then there are the folks after Five/Emily. Griffin/Kal/Six does not know about them.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

So, I've peeked through season one over the past couple of days and now I have to say Six is incredibly naive. He knows or should know that the Raza crew is on four (probably five) corporations hit-list

A nice list of threats, and that even excludes the Ishida guys (which have a major beef with 4), the (acting) CEO of Corelactic and probably also the corporation or other groups/individuals which had the missiles fired in the pilot episode and/or setup the kill bot in the secret room.

It looks like Commander Shaddick will be pushing hard to get the Raza crew convicted, but ironically, by her push to find evidence against them she is also a major threat to the corporations you listed. The databanks of the Android hold tons of damning evidence against them; it would be a good twist if Shaddick would prove to be both a major antagonist for the Raza gang, yet also the one most likely to hurt the corporations. Though I guess she would also have a major target on her back, much like the Raza crew are now the target of (probably) multiple assassination attempts, and could by murdered early in the season.

Six was naïve, but that's probably because without his memories, he didn't realise quite how corrupt the GA really is. I suppose he will make up for it.

• Love 1

So, the list is even longer than I had assumed. Bottom-line is Six should cover his derrière. He had several rough wake-up calls this episode so there's hoping.

I do not trust Commander Shaddick - she came after Five like a hawk spotting a delicious dove. Maybe she's just eager to bring charges against the crew of the Raza but if so, why not question the GA agent who's been an active member of that crew, has shown his loyalty to the GA and is standing right in front of her? And if Six had already been debriefed then what does she need Five for so urgently?

• Love 1

I think that she needs 5 for the Android.  They haven;'t been able to get the tapes out of the android and are afraid of losing all of them in a reboot.  So she is trying to figure out who she can use against the android.  I suppose they figured out enough that the android wouldn't protect six.  But what I wonder about is who it was in the previews who was so excited to discover 5?  Her parents were killed right?  Is this another conspiracy in which all of the victims ended up on the Raza?

18 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I think that she needs 5 for the Android.  They haven;'t been able to get the tapes out of the android and are afraid of losing all of them in a reboot.  So she is trying to figure out who she can use against the android.  I suppose they figured out enough that the android wouldn't protect six.  But what I wonder about is who it was in the previews who was so excited to discover 5?  Her parents were killed right?  Is this another conspiracy in which all of the victims ended up on the Raza?

Emily/Das/five stole a keycard while still a street orphan, something that the Android described as a key to a space/time pocket (or something like that). It was implied that her friends were shot on orders of the owners of the thing.

Agreed that Shaddick wants access to a cooperative Android, and threatening 5 may be the way to get it. It could also get Shaddick killed though, if Android takes it the wrong way!

The data from the Android (which would include footage and audio, as well as telemetry from the ship) would probably carry more weight as prove compared to Varrick's word.

• Love 2

Having finally watched it I think I'm remembering why I found last season underwhelming. While the show is enjoyable while it's on, I still don't know what the  purpose of the whole thing is. I don't really know what story I'm watching. It just seems like a meandering "and then this happened" narrative that doesn't seem to be saying anything. I still don't know why it's called Dark Matter. It could be about corporatism. It could be about identity. It could be about family. It could be about the interchange between ethics and justice for all I know. At the moment it's kind of about everything and nothing at the same time and the changing characterisation reflects that.

Someone in the thread said this episode felt like a bit of a reboot and I agree. There was something very paint by numbers about the first season and great swathes of it were massively derivative. Maybe the writers have finally worked out what they want to do and so they're moving people around to set that up. Hopefully tonight's episode will do that more coherently and I'll finally be able to pin this show and its characters down.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Having finally watched it I think I'm remembering why I found last season underwhelming. While the show is enjoyable while it's on, I still don't know what the  purpose of the whole thing is. I don't really know what story I'm watching. It just seems like a meandering "and then this happened" narrative that doesn't seem to be saying anything. I still don't know why it's called Dark Matter. It could be about corporatism. It could be about identity. It could be about family. It could be about the interchange between ethics and justice for all I know. At the moment it's kind of about everything and nothing at the same time and the changing characterisation reflects that.

Someone in the thread said this episode felt like a bit of a reboot and I agree. There was something very paint by numbers about the first season and great swathes of it were massively derivative. Maybe the writers have finally worked out what they want to do and so they're moving people around to set that up. Hopefully tonight's episode will do that more coherently and I'll finally be able to pin this show and its characters down.

Show creator has repeatedly (first time already before the first season got aired, IIRC) claimed that he has a 5-year arc planned out and that he knows the fates of the main characters, some of which would have positive endings and others, not so much. Now we know, "one" has a story that doesn't end well.

I also don't know if characterisation has changed. Five is becoming ever harder and Three is being shown in a more positive light, but this started already halfway in S1. I don't think anybody is acting out of character.

• Love 1