Type keyword(s) to search

Shazam! (2019)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

can't recall any moment in the film where the reason for the disability is clearly stated, and I actually see that as a good thing. Because the writers just treated Freddy like he wanted to be treated-like he mattered, disabled or not. Going in to  an explanation of why he is disabled actually brings more attention to the disability itself and not him as a person-something the character wouldn't like. He wants attention-but not that kind. I'm not really sure what kind of point the writer of the article is trying to make ? Because while I am kind of curious myself as to the reason behind it, it's ultimately not important to me unless the character decides he wants it to be important to others. I thought they handled it well, even if they had written it as the result of an accident, I don't see the problem ? 

I just looked it up; in the original comics from 1941, Freddy was injured after being kidnapped by Captain Nazi. 

• Love 1

I had serious issues with two things in this movie 1) the haphazard tone and 2) Zachary Levi's performance.

It was clearly marketed to kids and families but also had some of the darkest elements I've ever seen in a superhero movie. Sivana straight up murdering his brother and someone else getting his head bitten off is NOT what I signed up for and was frankly unwelcome. Not to mention the design of the demons was just plain scary and I'm a grown ass man. I fully intended to take my niece to see this movie until I saw scenes like a little girl almost getting eaten by a hell demon.

As for Levi, he was just too damn goofy for me. There was no consistency between Billy's characterization and his. I think he was wildly miscast beyond the acting, he just looked way too old for the part. It was distracting at times. He seemed to be over compensating by acting like a manic 5 year old.

Other than those issues I really enjoyed it. The kids was FANTASTIC (Darla is freaking adorable), Freddy was the real MVP and Adam Brody as grown up Freddy was some of the most spot on casting I've ever seen. And the moment when the Shazam (*coughMarvelcough*) Family appeared was absolute magic (I wonder if they realized that they created one of the best superhero movie moments with that) and got a rapturous response from my audience. More of THAT please!

• Like 1
  • Love 6

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to book tickets to take the niblings to see it at the IMAX tomorrow.... and a penguin movie has taken its slots!  We only have 1 IMAX within 100 miles, it had switched this week to Shazam in the matinee and Hellboy in the afternoon.. and I can't believe I missed it!

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, MarkHB said:

I just looked it up; in the original comics from 1941, Freddy was injured after being kidnapped by Captain Nazi. 

I think this is based on "The New 52" version though-and that comic is set in modern times-so of course the reason would have to be different. Not a big deal, I was just curious.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, JessePinkman said:

I had serious issues with two things in this movie 1) the haphazard tone and 2) Zachary Levi's performance.

It was clearly marketed to kids and families but also had some of the darkest elements I've ever seen in a superhero movie. Sivana straight up murdering his brother and someone else getting his head bitten off is NOT what I signed up for and was frankly unwelcome. Not to mention the design of the demons was just plain scary and I'm a grown ass man. I fully intended to take my niece to see this movie until I saw scenes like a little girl almost getting eaten by a hell demon.

As for Levi, he was just too damn goofy for me. There was no consistency between Billy's characterization and his. I think he was wildly miscast beyond the acting, he just looked way too old for the part. It was distracting at times. He seemed to be over compensating by acting like a manic 5 year old.

I think ZL did great. Doing the opposite-mimicking the child actor 100%-would be not as good because a teenager in a man's body is going to act goofy and strange. I also don't think we're given enough time to know Billy before he becomes Shazam, to determine for certain, how he would, or would not act, in those situations. I think their general catch phrases and outlook(thinking found families were stupid, being a loner, being streetwise but also obviously insecure and scared and lonely) were all spot on. The adult actors who played Pedro and Eugene weren't exactly like their younger counterparts. Remember that the whole point of them becoming adults was that they reached their "full potential". That means mentally and emotionally being slightly different, not just physically. In ZL's case, Billy is scared, but also excited, and doesn't really know what to do or how to handle it. I think ZL pulled it all off wonderfully. To me, Adam Brody basically being a bigger version of JDG's Freddy is what felt unnatural.

I think the movie would have been a lot less charming if ZL had played Billy Batson as some serious faced, straight laced guy. Billy must be freaking out in that situation. Acting goofy and freaking out is what I would expect, and at 15, it's likely what I would have done. Fifteen year olds ARE goofy.

The demons were scary at first, but upon second watch, not so much. They actually came across (intentionally or unintentionally) as cartoony. As far as the deaths...every single superhero movie repeatedly has multiple deaths and people rarely complain about those. I do agree this isn't a movie for young children-but it isn't marketed to young children. A PG 13 rating is enough of a warning that any child younger than middle school has no business watching it IMO.

I think ZL, AA, and JDG were all perfectly casted, and had anyone else been chosen, the movie would not have been as good. My favorite scene(though it's hard to pick one), right before and right after the bus incident. JDG basically had a monologue, and ZL has few lines. But the emotions in the scene-Freddy disappointed in Billy, begging Billy to listen and SEE HIM, and Billy not understanding but being so hurt when Freddy tells him he's no better than the Bryers because he's a bully, too. WOW, I think that's going to go down as one of the best scenes in any movie this year, easily. Totally spot on acting. ZL's facial expressions killed me, and I just wanted to hug both of them SO HARD. Yes, JDG is going places if he chooses wisely in his projects.

Sidebar though: from what I've read-BIlly can take away the powers of his family since he was the one that bestowed them-just like the wizard could to Billy if he were still around. If so, WOW-that by itself could be an awesome plot point. And it makes sense to use it, because if they are all equally powered all the time, it's kind of "meh" after a while.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:11 PM, MarkHB said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to book tickets to take the niblings to see it at the IMAX tomorrow.... and a penguin movie has taken its slots!  We only have 1 IMAX within 100 miles, it had switched this week to Shazam in the matinee and Hellboy in the afternoon.. and I can't believe I missed it!

No other regular showings close by ?

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 1

Took me a few weeks, but I finally got around to seeing it.  Even managed avoid being spoiled too much!

Overall, it was what I expected (and hoped): not the best that comic book films have to offer, but certainly enjoyable, funny, and even touching at times, and for the recent D.C. film crop, that is more than enough.  I'll put it only behind Wonder Woman, as I even like it more than Aquaman, which I did enjoy, but was admittedly cheesy and dumb a lot of times.

The casting was definitely top notch, as I really can't picture anyone but Zachary Levi playing Shazam.  He was clearly having the time of his life basically playing a teenager not just trapped in an adult's body, but an adult that had freaking superpowers!  He was just a joy to watch on screen, and I'm glad he finally got a role that will hopefully give him a boost (still remembered when his career was at the point that he had to actually act in an Alvin & the Chipmunks film.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!)  But I also thought he did a good job with the more dramatic moments, like when Shazam was doubting himself or pushing back over the idea of embracing his new foster family.

All of the foster kids were well cast, with Faithe Herman (Darla) and Grace Fulton (Mary) giving standout performances, but I definitely think Jack Dylan Grazer stole the show as Freddy, and was probably one of my favorite superhero sidekicks, alongside Luis from Ant-Man and Korg from Thor: Ragnarok.  Between this and the It films, I can definitely see him going places.  Asher Angel was good too, even if I felt like Billy went through some of the typical teen angst stuff.  In general though, I really like they showed that the foster family was a loving one and how the parents truly did care for the kids: even Billy when he kept trying to runaway or rebel.  Refreshing compared to how films and shows usually treat the foster family concept.

Mark Strong was great enough to make Sivana a solid villain, but the character was held back by the typical backstory of his father being a dick (at least dick father was played by the awesome John Glover), and I really never got the sense of what his endgame was.  I know he wanted Shazam's powers for himself, but what did he want to do after that?  Did he want to take over the world and rule it?  Did he just want to watch everything burn, Joker-style?  I never really felt like I understood his motivations, which made it hard for me to get invested in him.  At least he's still alive, so maybe they'll flesh him out in sequels.

Djimon Hounsou really seems to be a favorite for superhero casting departments, even if he never really gets a role worthy of his talents.  At least the paychecks should be good!

I did think the final battle was one of the best out of all the superhero films.  The Marvel Family reveal was great.  I know Adam Brody rightfully got mentioned the most, but it was fun seeing a few other recognizable faces like Meagan Good (Darla, Michelle Borth (Mary), and Ross Butler (Eugene.)

Only few gripes I have is that the opening act was slow (that seems to be a problem for a lot of superhero films: especially origin stories) and I did think it was tonally a bit weird by almost feeling like a kids film most of the time, and then the film suddenly seemed to remember it was PG-13, and would have a violent moment that felt jarring or felt out of place.

Still, I liked it overall, and I'm glad that it at least seems to be doing well enough to warrant a sequel, despite not setting the box office on fire.  Maybe next time, Warner Brothers won't shove it right in the middle of two of its rival studio's biggest films of all time!

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Took me a few weeks, but I finally got around to seeing it.  Even managed avoid being spoiled too much!

Overall, it was what I expected (and hoped): not the best that comic book films have to offer, but certainly enjoyable, funny, and even touching at times, and for the recent D.C. film crop, that is more than enough.  I'll put it only behind Wonder Woman, as I even like it more than Aquaman, which I did enjoy, but was admittedly cheesy and dumb a lot of times.

The casting was definitely top notch, as I really can't picture anyone but Zachary Levi playing Shazam.  He was clearly having the time of his life basically playing a teenager not just trapped in an adult's body, but an adult that had freaking superpowers!  He was just a joy to watch on screen, and I'm glad he finally got a role that will hopefully give him a boost (still remembered when his career was at the point that he had to actually act in an Alvin & the Chipmunks film.  I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!)  But I also thought he did a good job with the more dramatic moments, like when Shazam was doubting himself or pushing back over the idea of embracing his new foster family.

All of the foster kids were well cast, with Faithe Herman (Darla) and Grace Fulton (Mary) giving standout performances, but I definitely think Jack Dylan Grazer stole the show as Freddy, and was probably one of my favorite superhero sidekicks, alongside Luis from Ant-Man and Korg from Thor: Ragnarok.  Between this and the It films, I can definitely see him going places.  Asher Angel was good too, even if I felt like Billy went through some of the typical teen angst stuff.  In general though, I really like they showed that the foster family was a loving one and how the parents truly did care for the kids: even Billy when he kept trying to runaway or rebel.  Refreshing compared to how films and shows usually treat the foster family concept.

Mark Strong was great enough to make Sivana a solid villain, but the character was held back by the typical backstory of his father being a dick (at least dick father was played by the awesome John Glover), and I really never got the sense of what his endgame was.  I know he wanted Shazam's powers for himself, but what did he want to do after that?  Did he want to take over the world and rule it?  Did he just want to watch everything burn, Joker-style?  I never really felt like I understood his motivations, which made it hard for me to get invested in him.  At least he's still alive, so maybe they'll flesh him out in sequels.

Djimon Hounsou really seems to be a favorite for superhero casting departments, even if he never really gets a role worthy of his talents.  At least the paychecks should be good!

I did think the final battle was one of the best out of all the superhero films.  The Marvel Family reveal was great.  I know Adam Brody rightfully got mentioned the most, but it was fun seeing a few other recognizable faces like Meagan Good (Darla, Michelle Borth (Mary), and Ross Butler (Eugene.)

Only few gripes I have is that the opening act was slow (that seems to be a problem for a lot of superhero films: especially origin stories) and I did think it was tonally a bit weird by almost feeling like a kids film most of the time, and then the film suddenly seemed to remember it was PG-13, and would have a violent moment that felt jarring or felt out of place.

Still, I liked it overall, and I'm glad that it at least seems to be doing well enough to warrant a sequel, despite not setting the box office on fire.  Maybe next time, Warner Brothers won't shove it right in the middle of two of its rival studio's biggest films of all time!

I'm actually totally good with this movie and any of it's potential sequels, never ruling the box office. I think the creators obviously have a love for this universe and the casting and chemistry is solid. All I need is a good story on top of that, and I'm okay.  

Not gonna lie-I respect ZL as an actor and he's waited a long time for this type of lead role. He deserves to have a financially successful and/or critically successful movie(s).  I'd love for this movie to hit half a billion at the box office because he and the rest of the cast and crew did such a great job. But I also kinda hate box office "blockbusters" for a reason. I hate the hype. I hate the obnoxious and belittling attitude of many of the fans of those films. I also agree with an online opinion I've seen, that many of those studios don't make films-they make products. Their movies are made to make more money, essentially. And more sequels are done for more money.

It's a big turn off for me, because I do believe, and will forever state, that many, many people confuse a big box office take with a good movie.

NO. N-O. And I think that should be obvious. Especially when I read that people are out there spending *thousands* of dollars on movie tickets. A movie you haven't even seen. A movie that if you were to just wait a week, you could see for $12.00. So  yeah-big budget blockbusters can all take a walk IMO. I hope the Shazam franchise-IF it becomes one-stays true to just telling a story and, to call upon a song in the movie "have a good time". Tell me a story, keep me entertained, and you don't have to spend $250 million to do it. If you can do that, you're on my good list. Keep any and all sequels with these characters simple and sweet, just like the first time, and I think I'll be happy.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:56 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

No other regular showings close by ?

Yes, thanks, in fact we went to the theater that has the IMAX since that has recliners.  The kids had a great time, as did I... I just regretted not getting the giant screen experience.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Michelle Borth signs a five movie deal with Warner Brothers.

https://defpen.com/shazam-actress-michelle-borth-movie-deal-warner-brothers/

I saw that (the original quote is in an interview she did for Parade).  My personal hope is that Mary does indeed go to CalTech, because one of the films WB has in the pipeline is Supergirl... and maybe CalTech is near National City....

• Love 3

I've only ever watched one mainstream movie in IMAX-it was the Star Trek one where BC was Khan. I thought the colors seemed really crisp and vivid, but other than that....I couldn't tell a difference ? Besides the size and shape of the screen itself, that is.
One of my viewings of Shazam was a 3D one, and TBH, I don't think it's worth the price. But then, I can't recall ever seeing a 3D movie that made me think it was worth the fuss. I'm generally fine with regular boring versions, not that it matters, because the closest showing in IMAX for Shazam for me, is 70 miles away.

Edited by IWantCandy71
18 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

I've only ever watched one mainstream movie in IMAX-it was the Star Trek one where BC was Khan. I thought the colors seemed really crisp and vivid, but other than that....I couldn't tell a difference ? Besides the size and shape of the screen itself, that is.
One of my viewings of Shazam was a 3D one, and TBH, I don't think it's worth the price. But then, I can't recall ever seeing a 3D movie that made me think it was worth the fuss. I'm generally fine with regular boring versions, not that it matters, because the closest showing in IMAX for Shazam for me, is 70 miles away.

I never went to an IMAX until they built one c. 15 miles from me (the only one in the state).  Now I try to see all these hero movies there at least once.  With Shazam, I don't know that it would have been a big change, but for something like Aquaman that just flooded the screen with spectacle it was amazing.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I never went to an IMAX until they built one c. 15 miles from me (the only one in the state).  Now I try to see all these hero movies there at least once.  With Shazam, I don't know that it would have been a big change, but for something like Aquaman that just flooded the screen with spectacle it was amazing.

See I was very lukewarm (at best, LOL) on Aquaman, even though I've loved Jason in other projects and Patrick Wilson is awesome. But I can dig how that kind of movie from a visual perspective, would rock in IMAX. Yes, totally.

I have no idea if Zachary Levi even knows this site exists, but if he does-and if he comes here-I just want to say about all the Twitter nonsense(since I don't have (or want) a Twitter account: Honey, you haven't said or done anything wrong. I won't even touch the racism issue-but if Twitter folks are saying you are disgusting because you are pro life (and they are saying it because I saw it) honey-they are not worth your time or energy, and their opinions don't matter.

This kind of nonsense is why I DON'T do Twitter, but I do go sometimes and read things-and every stinking time without fail, I regret it. Some people are so full of bitterness, anger and sadness they are not complete unless they are tearing someone else down. It's just so sad and ridiculous.

So Zachary Levi, if you come here  to read comments-keep your chin up, sir. And for goodness sake-give them the attention they deserve-which is NONE.

• Love 1

I needed a movie to escape a sad anniversary for me today. Avengers took up a lot of screens but Shazam! had one showing. It sounded light and escapist..It had been a while since I saw a matinee and was stunned it was $9 to see one....but it was well worth it. Totally escapist..totally fun..and I was sucked in completely..and rarely do I have the need to see it again but I will and this time bring a friend.

For me, there were direct homages to Big...and it also reminded me of a rather obscure John Denver movie called "The Leftovers". I almost would own this movie right now if I could.

It did it's job...made me have a better day than I thought....and that's the real Oscar right there.

• Love 5
On 5/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, stonehaven said:

It did it's job...made me have a better day than I thought....and that's the real Oscar right there.

That's all we can ask, right ?  🙂 If a movie can do that, it's time and money well spent.

• Love 1
On 5/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, wingster55 said:

Freddie really tried to exploit Billy and while Billy called that out, it was quickly swept under the rug and focused more on Billy showboating. That bugged me.

He did at first, you're right. And had Billy continued to include him in everything he did, everywhere he went....IDK that Freddy would have cared so much about Billy's selfishness. Freddy was a pretty big fan of superheroes though, and I think eventually they would have come to the same place-with Freddy calling him out and basically saying "look man, don't be a jerk".

I'm glad we got it the way we did, and I think Freddy is a good "morality check" for Billy. I think it can be hard to remember that Billy lived on the streets off and on, and scamming people came naturally to him after a while. It was how he survived. I will be interested to see where they take the character if a sequel actually gets made.  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Side-by-side with Billy and Tyrone Biggum shouting “Shazam!” for the win.

And I forgot Mark Strong was Sinestro. I’m a little miffed no pokes were taken on John Glover.

”It’s Always Sparky In Philadelphia.” Screw a Gargoyles movie . . . how ‘bout Team Shazam takes a trip to Paddy’s Pub? Eh?? Ehhhhhh???

• Love 1

The BluRay came out yesterday.  I haven't watched them all yet, but there are around 30 minutes of deleted scenes, including a whole new opening with someone other than John Glover playing Daddy Sivana, and you can watch them with or without little voiceover intros by David Sandberg.

Speaking of Sandberg, he's been discussing the film on Twitter, and here's a video he put together that talks about problem-solving during the shoot....

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I finally got around to seeing this movie over the weekend and I didn't really care for it.  It was just too juvenile for me and the lead character annoyed me.  I guess I prefer my superheroes to be adults.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2019 at 8:37 PM, IWantCandy71 said:

Yes, so much fun, still hoping for a sequel.

God, I'm in a similar position to where I was when Power Rangers came out- really enjoyed the reboot, really wanted a sequel, but knowing the whole thing was kind of on the bubble. (And it's done.) However, I do think this has a better shot, but it really did deserve to have made so much more than it did.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2019 at 8:17 AM, JessePinkman said:

As for Levi, he was just too damn goofy for me. There was no consistency between Billy's characterization and his. It was distracting at times. He seemed to be over compensating by acting like a manic 5 year old.

Saw it recently and I have to agree with the portion I have quoted. I like Levi but he did seem to be over compensating. Young Billy seemed way more serious than how Levi portrayed him in a mans body.

The biggest chuckle for me was the whole say my name "BILLY". The scene of "We are like a mile apart I can't hear you" fell completely flat because all I could think of is, if you are a mile apart how do you know he is talking, and not just waiting for you to come after him. I don't think Shazam has super peepers.

Overall it was mediocre to me, although I did enjoy seeing the Marvel Family, but thought Mary should have had more to do, she didn't really seem to have a big moment like the others.

• Love 4
(edited)

I watched this the other night.  I thought it was fine but I was disappointed.  Based on what I had read, I wanted to love it.  Forgetting the superhero stuff where I give a lot of license because that's what I signed up for, the real world stuff just reminded me of the worst parts of all the movies from my childhood where the fantasy fulfillment is just too much.  Take the opening scene after the prologue for example.  You have Billy lure two cops away to a specific location at a convenience store, essentially kidnap them by locking them in, then he kinda steals their car. (I don't think he actually drives it away but I'm guessing any sort of unauthorized use of a police vehicle is still a pretty big deal)  And all he gets for that is a stern finger wagging from one of the cops since Billy also stole the guy's lunch.  We all wanted to believe we could be as smart and brazen as that and suffer no consequences when we were kids.  Not to mention the whole street smart runaway kid trope who's still otherwise socially adjusted, clean, well fed (since he steals cops' lunches), and with decent clothing.  Speaking of clothing, the foam muscle suit was ridiculous.   And again, I know it's a fantasy mainly for kids, but I think kids today, growing up with the Henry Cavill's and Chris Hemsworth's and Rock's of the world, could even spot the difference.  And this isn't really the movie's fault, but the final battle scene with the whole family reminded me too much of Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills and that's all I could think about.    And I have nothing against fantasy fulfillment (What is a superhero movie if not that?  Tony Stark  is a freaking self described billionaire genius playboy philanthropist for crying out loud) but there was just a little bit too much real world suspension of disbelief for me to look past.  I didn't dislike it, but like I said, I went in wanting to like it a lot more than I did.  I did think Jack Dylan Grazer was great though.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
On 7/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, methodwriter85 said:

God, I'm in a similar position to where I was when Power Rangers came out- really enjoyed the reboot, really wanted a sequel, but knowing the whole thing was kind of on the bubble. (And it's done.) However, I do think this has a better shot, but it really did deserve to have made so much more than it did.

It deserved a lot more attention and to also make a lot more money. We however live in a movie going universe where the name Marvel makes tons of money even when their movies are for the most part….not good, in most ways that matter.

So, IDK. I'm okay with the Shazam movies always being a "B" franchise as long as the movies themselves remain entertaining. I think you absolutely cannot judge the quality of a movie by how much money it makes. And you definitely cannot judge a movie by how much hype it gets.

I feel like those that use the "well this/that moviemade a billion dollars" argument, need to be patted on the head and sent to bed without supper until they learn what true quality is.

My positives for this movie echo most of the positives already mentioned here. One thing though:

On 4/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, Shannon L. said:

...  However, I felt like the balance was a bit off in regards to the material.  I think that some of the light stuff was a bit too childish for the PG-13 and up crowd and the some of the evil/sad stuff was way over the top for a movie that was obviously made to appeal to a younger audience. ...

Yeah, I think the end result tried to cater to two different audiences. I feel like if they had to pick one, they should have leaned into making this a PG family film -- it was already 80% there. Some scenes were too violent and intense for kids (... and me). I hope the sequel takes that into consideration.

• Like 1
  • Love 2