Type keyword(s) to search

Shazam! (2019)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong).

Cast:

Zachary Levi: Shazam (aka Captain Marvel)

Mark Strong: Dr. Thaddeus Sivana

Asher Angel: Billy Batson

Jack Dylan Grazer: Freddy Freeman

Djimon Hounsou: The Wizard

Grace Fulton: Mary Bromfield

Ian Chen: Eugene

Jovan Armand: Pedro

Cooper Andrews: The guy who runs the orphanage group home

Directed by David F. Sandberg

Release date: April 5, 2019

The movie's release date was announced today, it's April 5, 2019.

And here is the logo:

Shazam-movie-poster.jpg?q=50&w=786&h=116

And the plot synopsis that was released last month.

“We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson’s (Asher Angel) case, by shouting out one word—SHAZAM!—this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult Super Hero Shazam (Zachary Levi), courtesy of an ancient wizard. Still a kid at heart—inside a ripped, godlike body—Shazam revels in this adult version of himself by doing what any teen would do with superpowers: have fun with them! Can he fly? Does he have X-ray vision? Can he shoot lightning out of his hands? Can he skip his social studies test? Shazam sets out to test the limits of his abilities with the joyful recklessness of a child. But he’ll need to master these powers quickly in order to fight the deadly forces of evil controlled by Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Mark Strong).”

• Love 2

It has the possibility of being decent but like all DC movies, I'll take a wait and see approach.  I'm not sure about Zach Levi as Shazam (is the wizard also going to be Shazam?).  He was okay in Thor 2 but some of the other things I've seen him in weren't great.  Also it sounds like it's trying to be Spiderman: Homecoming which will draw criticism if it isn't as good.  Plus I don't really trust the writer/director team, especially the writer who's worked on virtually nothing good.

Also btw, Kazaam was the movie with Shaq. There's an internet rumor that there was a Sinbad movie called Shazaam (which was apparently debunked).  

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Matt K said:

Also btw, Kazaam was the movie with Shaq. There's an internet rumor that there was a Sinbad movie called Shazaam (which was apparently debunked).  

Which was actually made part of an X-Files episode earlier this season.

12 hours ago, Jediknight said:

To anybody questioning if Zachary Levi was the perfect choice for this role, just watch this trailer.  He's without a doubt the perfect choice.  So, don't freak out.

The griping when he was cast was so annoying! Anyone who watched Chuck should have known that he's GOT this. If anything about this sucks, it's not going to be Levi.

Anyway, the trailer was funny, and I'm looking forward to it!

• Love 2

Wait - this isn't out until April? It seems to be set around Christmas. And I was thinking that the holidays would be the perfect time to release this, when all the kids are out of school. But Aquaman is coming out then.

DC should really focus on movies like this: Unique stories focusing on just one hero and their rogues and supporting cast. They're at their best when they just set out to tell a single story, and at their worst when they try to copy Marvel and tell about a billion stories with a trillion characters in just one chopped up film. 

• Love 1

This looks like a fun movie. I vaguely remember watching reruns/syndication of the old TV show, or was it a cartoon ? I can't remember now. I don't know if I'll go to see it in the theater, but I do like the casting. Zachary Levi is charming, and Mark Strong is fun to watch, even if he is too often typecast as the same type of villain over and over.

TBH I'm over the whole superhero craze and have been for years. From the trailers however, I don't think this version will have that self righteous main character syndrome that pretty much all the other ones do, that turns me off so badly.

There is an old small town dollar theater near me, and maybe I'll see it there ? IDK. It's a family movie though-one that kids and parents and grandparents can go see, so I fully expect it to make a ton of money, deservedly or not.

24 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

This looks like a fun movie. I vaguely remember watching reruns/syndication of the old TV show, or was it a cartoon?

It was live action, it was paired with a show about a heroine based on the Egyptian goddess Isis. It was called the Shazam/Isis Hour.

On a personal note, the actress who p!ayed Isis, along with Diedre Hall as Electra-Woman, confirmed my sexual orientation.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

It was live action, it was paired with a show about a heroine based on the Egyptian goddess Isis. It was called the Shazam/Isis Hour.

On a personal note, the actress who p!ayed Isis, along with Diedre Hall as Electra-Woman, confirmed my sexual orientation.

I totally watched this in the mid-70s when I was a very wee Dande.

I didn’t realize that Shazam was actually called Captain Marvel until decades later. But I do remember the Winnebago.

Also, I absolutely wanted to be Isis. She was a magical librarian who fought crime with a pendant on her forehead!! Tiny me was in awe.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Okay thank you ! Was I dreaming the cartoon then? Oh well. And I loved Electra Woman and Dynagirl. Cheesy 70's kid shows FTW.

Edited by IWantCandy71
9 hours ago, Dandesun said:

But I do remember the Winnebago.

Ah, the '70s were a different time. I wonder if a teen-aged boy traveling around in a Winnebago with an older gentleman calling himself 'Mentor' would raise any eyebrows today?

12 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Okay thank you ! Was I dreaming the cartoon then?

I remember a cartoon where a boy and girl would combined their rings and shout SHAZAM! and a hero appeared. Is that the same Shazam as this character? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I remember a cartoon where a boy and girl would combined their rings and shout SHAZAM! and a hero appeared. Is that the same Shazam as this character? 

I believe you're thinking of the Wonder Twins, and the cry "Wonder Twin powers, Activate!"  They have a new comic coming out!

But speaking of the old show, I really hope they made room for a Michael Gray cameo (Billy from the old days).

One of my nieces and I have a thing we do that is very similar to the "wonder twins". She of course didn't know what it meant and has never seen the show, but once I explained it, she thinks it's cool.

That whole thing about the cartoon though is going to drive me crazy because I could have sworn there was one once. But then, in the late seventies on a Saturday morning, fueled by bacon and pancakes and watching Super Friends, I could just be mixing it up with the 187 cartoons I watched back then.

7 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I believe you're thinking of the Wonder Twins, and the cry "Wonder Twin powers, Activate!" 

Wow, this is probably my first experience of a Mandela Effect cause I could have sworn they said Shazam! I would have bet my life on it, luckily I didn't!

• Love 1