Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Something Has To Give

6 hours ago, rudy10 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed but it seems clear now that Taylor is a flight attendant for American Airlines.  She was wearing her uniform scarf in the episode which my rough googling points to AA.  Also googling "flight attendant school phoenix" indicates that AA has flight attendant training in phoenix and charlotte (though that is changing since the merge with US airways at the end of last year).  I am assuming all the filming was done before the merge.  So her possible hub cities include: Dallas, Phoenix, NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, Philadelphia, Charlotte, or DC.  I don't know how competitive each market is.  We may have to wait until next episode.  Taylor did mention an east coast possibility which doesn't really narrow it down.

All this just makes me think all the RV and job fights were for show.  That Taylor and David both knew Taylor would be training to be a flight attendant and that they would have to relocate once she finished.  Though I still believe they really stayed at an apartment some place and filmed in the RV for the show.  With all of Taylor's "stuff" it's clear she didn't really move into the RV.  David crying about his teacher's contract will probably end up being no big deal.

I think you're close, but not 100%. I think Taylor is employed by Mesa Airlines (which is a regional carrier and a division of AMR). That's the Mesa Airlines flight attendant scarf. Mesa does their flight attendant training in Phoenix. It's a three week course. Also, Mesa's minimum height requirement is 4'11" (American Airlines is 5'1/2"). Mesa has four crew bases in the United States; Phoenix, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, and Washington D.C. (actually, Washington's Dulles Airport which is located in Dulles, VA).

Being that Taylor said something about getting based on the East Coast, she must have been assigned D.C.

However, I do want to mention something about training for airline jobs in general. It is *extremely* difficult. When I began my career with the airline I worked for way back in the late 1970's (as a Reservations Sales Agent to start), I remember my instructor saying on the first day of class the course was like trying to compress an entire semester of college into four weeks. He wasn't kidding. The first two weeks we trained at the company's training center in Ft. Worth. My roommate and I did nothing for two weeks except eat/sleep/study and go to class. We never left the training center - even on the weekend, because we had to study. Prior to beginning training, all new hires were sent a packet of material to learn on our own and told we would be tested on the first day of training. We were. The one girl who had been too busy to learn the material (she had to work full time at her family's restaurant right up until the day she left for training) was sent home on day three because there simply weren't enough hours in the day for her to get caught up. If you didn't understand a concept, did poorly on a test and/or got behind even a little bit, you were doomed. (My roommate and I graduated tied for the top score in the class, so "YAY!" us).

Things had only gotten worse by the time I became a Reservation Sales Training Instructor. New hires dropped like flies because of the sheer amount of material they had to learn. We tested almost every day.

Flight attendant training is no picnic, either. Remember, a flight attendant's main purpose is to insure the safety of the passengers. But, that's just one piece of the puzzle. If you were to see a training binder, you wouldn't believe all the information they have to learn in such a short period of time. It's daunting. I applaud Taylor for getting through it at all - many new hire trainees do not.

Although I do question one thing she implied - that her grades had some impact on where she was based. I didn't work for Mesa, but generally those types of decisions are based on seniority. Of course, all the people in the same training class are going to have the same seniority date, so seniority within a class is usually based on birthdate. (Youngest person - least seniority. Oldest - highest seniority). Maybe Mesa does things differently, but I would have assumed Mesa would have a certain number of slots open at each of their four bases, and the trainees would list the bases in order of preference, with the base assignments determined by each trainee's seniority within their training class.  I could be wrong, though.

• Love 4

Ben is a very young 23. He and Vicki are Exhibit A for how men mature later than women. I think he'll grow up eventually but he needs to hope Vicki isn't sick of his shit by then. I'm still mad at that image of him lolling around on the couch with his shoes on while Vicki putters around in the background doing chores, and at that interview where he's like, "Just because I don't do anything doesn't mean I don't care, you have to keep telling me to do stuff!" When she was like " ... Every day for the rest of our lives?" I fell out, even though it's not really funny.

Ben is immature but I do think he loves Vicki. He's young and playing at being an adult at this point - and basically everyone their age is like that, because they haven't been adults very long. It's a lot of trial and error at that point. At least he's asking folks in his life for advice and taking it in when he gets it. But Mayur doesn't even like Maneka. Their relationship is totally superficial. She wants to save face in her community after her failed marriage and he wants a maid/assistant/trophy wife. They don't love each other as people because they don't know each other; I think she's hoping to grow to love him but he has no interest in getting to know her. He wants his clothes cleaned and his food cooked and money brought into the household, and her needs and wants do not matter. He said it himself - he leads an "efficient" life and he wants her to help him with it. I haven't heard word one out of his mouth about how he can enrich HER life, how he can make HER happy, what he's bringing to the table for HER. It's all about him. In fairness, I don't think she's requiring him to actively make her happy; I think it's enough for her that she feels like he's helping her save face, and that doesn't require him to do anything except be married to her. And she is needy as fuck and that would drive me crazy inside of half an hour, but that doesn't mean she deserves someone who is mean to her and treats her with no respect. She's trying to convince herself that that "I'm his property" thing is sweet and romantic and means he actually cares about her as a person; it ain't and he doesn't.

• Love 5

I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor got based in Dallas, just because of the cliffhanger. It could be misleading, even with Taylor saying "don't get mad..." Could be she's (i.e. the producers) trying to fake out David. After the last few episodes I like David a lot more. The only thing I don't like about him is Taylor. 

So Ben tweeted how he and Vicki try really hard to show the beauty of their culture and really hopes it comes through. Sincerely, Ben, which part of laying on the couch like the prince of nowhere and bitching about "helping" your life's partner shows the beauty of the culture? Sadly, one day you will grow up and look back on this and what?

• Love 3

I'm hesitant to post this bc it's going to make Ben and Vicki look even worse but it at least gives me relief to know that the way he's acting has zero to do with being religious: I was told today by someone in the know that Ben is *nothing* like this in real life, and he is completely acting up all this stuff for the show. It makes me a litlte confused, because this makes the producers / showrunners look bad in my eyes, that this supposedly reality show is just a half-scripted lets-make-everyone-look-horrible "reality" show. But in real life, Ben and Vicki don't even squabble this much and don't have half the issues they are supposedly having on this show. Again as I said I'm confused by what that means but it does make me feel better about Ben; maybe he's just an attention-loving actor, but he's not as bad a husband as he is on this 'show'. Take that as you will. (Please don't kill me.)

Big Mother, I wouldn't be surprised if what you said was true. I definitely get the feeling that David and Taylor (especially Taylor) were told to go for the drama. At some points, she can barely keep a straight face. 

I don't watch much reality tv anymore, because it all seems so manufactured to me. 

2 hours ago, buttersister said:

So Ben tweeted how he and Vicki try really hard to show the beauty of their culture and really hopes it comes through. Sincerely, Ben, which part of laying on the couch like the prince of nowhere and bitching about "helping" your life's partner shows the beauty of the culture? Sadly, one day you will grow up and look back on this and what?

Either that or someone will see it in their area and that is part of their religion and smack him in the head for his behavior. 

Honestly I am not believing he is putting on an act. I doubt he could act if he was told it would save his little life. There are times as well that people will be on better behavior around some folks rather than others too. How I know this all to well from my wacko of a mother. If you met her you probably wouldn't think she was the narcissistic witch she is but that she cared about her daughter and grandkids but really if you asked when she last really asked about us or saw us it would tell the true story. As well as many other things. I don't buy Taylor is acting much either. I think she is a selfish bitch too. If anyone is acting on this its Maneka and her slimeball so they can do nothing put push their businesses. 

• Love 3

M&M are definitely just in it for the exposure and paycheck. I can't explain what good it would do to act like a cave dwelling knuckle dragger on TV to grow your business but I think Mayur is putting us on, for sure. Whoever said upthread that they likely have a maid (and probably a cook as well) was spot on. 

Ditto for Ben and Vicki, as far as the money goes anyway. Me thinks that mysterious "savings" they're living off of is the paycheck for the show. 

So... Not to sound insensitive, but what does David's grief have to do with being married to a shrieking harpy who wouldn't understand unselfish love if it bit her on the ass? My heart hurts for him, but at the same time, he's exploiting his dead dad for a reality show. He can open up to the camera people, but not his wife? Whatever. And it's still not going to make her magically understand the value of a dollar, or how to be a decent human being. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Squirrely said:

Ditto for Ben and Vicki, as far as the money goes anyway. Me thinks that mysterious "savings" they're living off of is the paycheck for the show. 

Bingo, that is exactly what I was going to say. They are making money to appear on the show and (if you have watched Unreal) more drama means more viewers (supposedly). I wouldn't be surprised if the producers actually instigate some of the fights by asking questions that they know will cause a disagreement.  

I do not for one second believe Taylor's behavior is just for the cameras. She is far too quick and nasty with the snappy comebacks, insults, and demeaning attitude for it to all be a put on. I am, however, having a very difficult time believing she actually got through Flight Attendant training, but not out of stupidity as she actually strikes me as quite articulate at times - but - this is a service based position and dealing with passengers can be quite trying - I've seen this happen - and it has be be very difficult for the attendant to stay on an even keel, professional, attitude pleasantly in place while dealing with some of the asshats they come across in the form of passengers. I do believe that Taylor could keep up a facade as long as it takes to get what she wants - in this case her 'dream' job.

I also do not believe that Ben is actually a sweetie IRL - he is too petulant and his delivery is often too MCP for me to believe it. It would be a different story if he had ever presented BOTH sides to his rabbi buddy when he goes for 'advice' (gee rabbi, Vicki wants kids now but I want to wait) - which is more to have his/Ben's preference given the blessing from on high. I do not think Vicki having classes on just two days of the  week  makes her study automatically light or easy. When I was in college there were a lot of students doing that - cramming all their classes into two or two and a half days so they could have the rest of the week to give blocks hours to the jobs that paid for their education.

As for Maneedy and Manure, IMNSHO, they're just faking fakers who fake and lying liars who lie....and very boring as well.

Tonight I'll be watching some REAL talent and drama...on The Great British Baking Show...yum

• Love 3
3 hours ago, becauseIsaidso said:

I do not for one second believe Taylor's behavior is just for the cameras. She is far too quick and nasty with the snappy comebacks, insults, and demeaning attitude for it to all be a put on. I am, however, having a very difficult time believing she actually got through Flight Attendant training, but not out of stupidity as she actually strikes me as quite articulate at times - but - this is a service based position and dealing with passengers can be quite trying - I've seen this happen - and it has be be very difficult for the attendant to stay on an even keel, professional, attitude pleasantly in place while dealing with some of the asshats they come across in the form of passengers. I do believe that Taylor could keep up a facade as long as it takes to get what she wants - in this case her 'dream' job.

This reminded me of this person on a Disney message board I am on. She says she is a Cast Member in one of the theme parks but the way she talks about most guests and a few other things I just can't imagine how she lasts. Mind you this is someone that has said they were told to watch their mouths by their Disney bosses in the past over what is said on the boards. Girl has been kicked off the one board at least 2 times that I know of and keeps coming back under a new name but its obvious with the tude who it is. It totally comes off like how Taylor would be. Someone that doesn't make friends because of their attitude to those they work with/for and those they might service on the job and probably as well outside of a job. Sadly some people don't get you can't be this way and keep jobs or friends or anything with acting like a nasty mean bitch. 

I wish whoever "writes" this show would curtail the ridiculous scenarios.  One respondent above mentioned (how?) that we have learned Ben and Vicki don't really live in that small apartment; Taylor is so bitchy and so awful it is difficult to imagine anyone marrying her, even David; after all, they were not arranged.  I agree with others that the RV is for TV only and I think Taylor is taking a page out of Christian's script from last season.  It made everyone sympathize with the bland and long-suffering Maria...as we now sympathize with the bland and not-so-long-suffering David.   Kind of like one of those old stage melodramas.

David could probably break his teaching contract; people do it all the time, but it might not be so easy for him to get a desirable teaching/coaching job in another state, especially mid-year.    There is the problem of certification in another state, too, so his inability to follow her to a new job is real enough. But apparently Taylor is actually working out of Fort Worth, so that difficulty seems Made for TV, too.

Vicki and Ben must have huge trust funds for their education that they can go out and buy a relatively new car.  Why do they even need a car if they live in NYC?    Am I the only one who finds Vicki unreasonably extravagant?  So much so, surely this, too, is Made for TV.  It is outrageous that Ben orders her to get a job! (But then, she is the one that wants to buy $70 candles.) Made for TV?  And why not sit down with a a piece of paper and show Vicki what their expenses are, what their resources are, and let her help create a budget?  Surely this is what Dad told him to do...but that might be too sensible for the show.

I agree Ben's treatment of Vicki is terrible.  Did he not have chores at home?  

And Mayur (I like the Manure misspelling, by the way) is surely "acting"...very poorly...much of the time.  I think these two are on the show for whatever money they can make, as, probably, are the others as well.  The real question for me is...why am I watching it?

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, lazylou said:

I wish whoever "writes" this show would curtail the ridiculous scenarios.  One respondent above mentioned (how?) that we have learned Ben and Vicki don't really live in that small apartment; Taylor is so bitchy and so awful it is difficult to imagine anyone marrying her, even David; after all, they were not arranged.  I agree with others that the RV is for TV only and I think Taylor is taking a page out of Christian's script from last season.  It made everyone sympathize with the bland and long-suffering Maria...as we now sympathize with the bland and not-so-long-suffering David.   Kind of like one of those old stage melodramas.

David could probably break his teaching contract; people do it all the time, but it might not be so easy for him to get a desirable teaching/coaching job in another state, especially mid-year.    There is the problem of certification in another state, too, so his inability to follow her to a new job is real enough. But apparently Taylor is actually working out of Fort Worth, so that difficulty seems Made for TV, too.

Vicki and Ben must have huge trust funds for their education that they can go out and buy a relatively new car.  Why do they even need a car if they live in NYC?    Am I the only one who finds Vicki unreasonably extravagant?  So much so, surely this, too, is Made for TV.  It is outrageous that Ben orders her to get a job! (But then, she is the one that wants to buy $70 candles.) Made for TV?  And why not sit down with a a piece of paper and show Vicki what their expenses are, what their resources are, and let her help create a budget?  Surely this is what Dad told him to do...but that might be too sensible for the show.

I agree Ben's treatment of Vicki is terrible.  Did he not have chores at home?  

And Mayur (I like the Manure misspelling, by the way) is surely "acting"...very poorly...much of the time.  I think these two are on the show for whatever money they can make, as, probably, are the others as well.  The real question for me is...why am I watching it?

I don't know about anyone else, but I deliberately refer to Mayur as Manure - by which I mean he bears an uncanny resemblance, physically, and personality/attitude-wise to excrement....just wanted to make it clear that in my case, 'Manure' is not a misspelling.

And as to the question of why you are watching it - I ask myself the same question every damn episode - it must be contagious!

• Love 4

Mayur really bugged me this episode. Either you are traditional or you are not. If you are, then the wife stays home, you support her, and it makes sense to expect dinner on the table at 7 (pre-kids) because she has more control over her schedule (pre-kids). 

Even in India, the most "traditional" homes that are middle class or higher all have help. They have people who help to cook and clean and get groceries. So, if you want to be traditional, get your wife some help too.

However, even the couples that are straight from India living here don't expect their spouse to have traditional roles. It doesn't work that way. While my parents still somewhat do (mom cooks) but then dad takes care of all the house, car, paying bills, garden, etc. But the next generation, with two working spouses, knows they need to have a different lifestyle. So the husband is right there, washing the dishes if the wife cooks the meals, wiping the table, giving the kids a bath, etc. 

For this generation, traditional refers more to values (respect for each other) not manual labor. 

Plus, it's a lot more fun, being partners and friends in the marriage. 

• Love 2

nenya, considering also where they work and I take it live, its a little strange to not hear of them having a maid. I just have a feeling they do though and what we see is not what we are really getting. As I have said I get the feeling this is more about pushing their businesses and nothing more with them. They are beyond fake. I am not sure why this show picked them at all to be on it since most of what we seem to hear about is her store or the franchise he is running in real estate. I can't see how they are behaving though as doing them any favors either. I have to say as well I don't remember others on this show from this season or last saying who they worked for...if I am wrong someone please correct me on that but the whiner and greaseball keep pushing what they do and making sure you don't forget the names of things.

Aside from that nenya, you are right on about sharing in things and being true partners and friends in marriage. It is much more enjoyable for the couple and any kids they may have as well if its that way.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, nenya said:

Mayur really bugged me this episode. Either you are traditional or you are not. If you are, then the wife stays home, you support her, and it makes sense to expect dinner on the table at 7 (pre-kids) because she has more control over her schedule (pre-kids). 

Even in India, the most "traditional" homes that are middle class or higher all have help. They have people who help to cook and clean and get groceries. So, if you want to be traditional, get your wife some help too.

However, even the couples that are straight from India living here don't expect their spouse to have traditional roles. It doesn't work that way. While my parents still somewhat do (mom cooks) but then dad takes care of all the house, car, paying bills, garden, etc. But the next generation, with two working spouses, knows they need to have a different lifestyle. So the husband is right there, washing the dishes if the wife cooks the meals, wiping the table, giving the kids a bath, etc. 

For this generation, traditional refers more to values (respect for each other) not manual labor. 

Plus, it's a lot more fun, being partners and friends in the marriage. 

Nenya, thank you for that insight. All of the Indian films I have seen were about wealthy families and there was always a housekeeper or even butler (which I guess is like a female housekeeper?). It made zero sense to me hearing Mayur say he wants Maneka to focus on her career, yet at the same time he demands that she go above and beyond in domesticity for him (making 3 meals a day, juices, smoothies, etc.). And the way the camera keeps panning to the front of her store's logo did seem odd to me, like it was detracting from the story. I myself married into a culture where women are expected to carry an equal load when it comes to working hours, yet at the same time keep the house clean as a pharmacy and always have the house full of delicious aromas from cooking. Oh, and you can never, ever ask your husband to give you a helping hand with the kids, or else his mother will fly into a rage. Lucky me! ;) 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/2/2016 at 4:03 PM, kat12379 said:

Oh no... I knew it was coming. Now that she is jumping to fulfill all of his needs, Ben is demanding Vicki be the breadwinner as well as cook and clean ? I can't. There are a small number of yeshiva men who sit and learn Torah all day while their wives work, cook, and clean and rear the children but they are born into the ultra orthodox world. Modern orthodox men are expected to work and learn Torah in free time. Again, I can't. He got a lot from Vicki and I don't know what she benefitted by marrying him.... this is why 21 is very young to get married because simply " in love" is not enough. What I wanted from a partner at 21 is different than what I wanted a few years down the road. 

So true! The only thing I can hold against Vicky is that she goes to school only 2 days a week. She is tending a little apartment for 2. You don't need 5 full days to get that done. I think that at that age I would WANT to do something else during the week.

That being said, Ben is not excused to not help out or find a job himself. 

Edited by Passthepopcorn
  • Love 1
On July 2, 2016 at 3:42 PM, becauseIsaidso said:

Not so long ago, I was on a flight with a pregnant flight attendant...and it was on a CRJ which had only the one attendant in addition to the flight crew.  It was not just the beginnings of a baby bump either, so I am presuming pregnant attendants probably have medical guidelines of how far into the pregnancy they continue working. Long (and well) gone are the days when female attendants could be fired for being overweight, married and/or pregnant.

I find it so weird that you had a pregnant flight attendant. I don't think any airline would fire a woman for being pregnant but I would think the airline and the pregnant flight attendant might be worried about turbulence. There's a reason we have to wait for the fasten seatbelt sign before moving about the cabin. I've been on flights where we hit such a large bump that we hit our heads on the ceiling above the seats. It didn't feel good around the belly where the seat belt was buckled either. My dad was an airline pilot so I've taken lots of flights and high turbulence and shaking happens very often. I wouldn't risk it if I were pregnant.

Ask a 5 yr old what he wants when he grows up and he might tell you he wants mansions on every continent and a Lamborghini and a sea-doo and a yacht and no gross food. That's what Mayur sounds like. He's a man-child. Even more than Ben is.

• Love 1
  On 7/2/2016 at 1:42 PM, becauseIsaidso said:

Not so long ago, I was on a flight with a pregnant flight attendant...and it was on a CRJ which had only the one attendant in addition to the flight crew.  It was not just the beginnings of a baby bump either, so I am presuming pregnant attendants probably have medical guidelines of how far into the pregnancy they continue working. Long (and well) gone are the days when female attendants could be fired for being overweight, married and/or pregnant.

I find it so weird that you had a pregnant flight attendant. I don't think any airline would fire a woman for being pregnant but I would think the airline and the pregnant flight attendant might be worried about turbulence. There's a reason we have to wait for the fasten seatbelt sign before moving about the cabin. I've been on flights where we hit such a large bump that we hit our heads on the ceiling above the seats. It didn't feel good around the belly where the seat belt was buckled either. My dad was an airline pilot so I've taken lots of flights and high turbulence and shaking happens very often. I wouldn't risk it if I were pregnant.

The more typical issue is whether a woman is at risk for going into pre-term labor while in flight. A precipitous pre-term labor can rather quickly become a life-and-death situation, which is why every airline I'm aware of has a stated "gestational limit" most of which must be certified by a doctor's note.

So long as a pregnant crew member is physically able to meet the (surprisingly rigorous) physical demands of the job (not the beverage service, the emergency landing kind of stuff, which involved opening and throwing the doors of the aircraft, assisting passengers, etc.) and is within a gestational period deemed not to be at-risk, a pregnancy should not be a limitation. I suspect, but do not know, if airlines place attendants on limited ground duty or if they certify them for disability early.