Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Charter From Heaven, Charter From Hell

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Pepperminty said:

The best scene was Ben fighting a fly with the towel juxtaposed with the group hug in the background.

Agreed that that was a great scene in a pretty blah episode, but I'll confess I'm partial to the blink-or-you'll-miss-it scene of several feral (but cute!) cats peering down from some...docky boaty structure...around the time the "heaven" guests departed.  

• Love 2

Usually on charters be it jets or yachts the crew splits the tip it is decided at the time of employment.  Obviously the stewards would have the best opportunity to make more because they have more contact with the guests as opposed to say the Captain or the Chef or the engineers who do not have the same opportunities.  Had the tip been slipped to Danny MVP, it would have been dishonest for him to keep it.  While he is playing his self appointed role as guest schmoozer  the others are having to work.   The idea of shared tips is to keep crew from competing against each other for certain duties and to keep some type of decorum and order.  Pretty much common sense if you didn't work the charter you are not entitled to a share of the tip.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, jkitty said:

But most of the service industry does not uniformly pool tips across all staff members (servers, bussers, bartenders, managers).  A server might be required to chip in a percentage to a bussers' pool, but generally you earn individual tips.  I agree generally you do not get a tip if you do not work, but the boat's policy is to share all tips so all tips should be shared.  Danny had to give up his individual tip on the previous charter, and Hannah was not docked a percentage of the tip when she had a migraine and laid down for a while. I think in a situation like that on the boat where you are basically "on" 24/7 it is not the same as working in a restaurant where you could switch shifts with someone when you are sick or pick up extra shifts later on (thus recovering the "lost" tip from missing your shift).  There is no chance to earn that tip back.  I think the idea only came up because it was Danny.  If it had been Julia or Bobby no one would have suggested they forgo the tip.  People just don't like Danny and he should have been fired like three times over by now.  

Generally, I think tips are a shitty way to pay people that unfairly puts them at the mercy of others.  (People should have a decent wage and tips should be optional, not what people live off of ... like in Europe).  I think the sharing policy sucks even more, demonstrating why tips are even more stupid in a boat setting where the labor is divided by the facetime is not.  The service fee should just be included in the cost of the boat.  But if your policy is to share tips, then share.  

To be fair though jkitty Hannah did work most of that day . julia said she could handle the rest of the service at one point, but that was the end of the day. Daniel did absolutely no work when he was sick. He couldnt work because he might infect someone. Hannah earned her tip. Daniel did not.

• Love 2

I hope those charter guests were all acting, they really were "Ugly Americans."  They had no class, were rude, vulgar and looked like they all smelled of cheap perfume/cologne and alcohol.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, tinaw said:

To be fair though jkitty Hannah did work most of that day . julia said she could handle the rest of the service at one point, but that was the end of the day. Daniel did absolutely no work when he was sick. He couldnt work because he might infect someone. Hannah earned her tip. Daniel did not.

My point is that the ship's policy is not that tips are merit based or based on what you earn individually. They are supposed to be uniformly split. I think that if that is the policy, then follow it. If someone is not pulling their weight, then fire them.  But under the communal tip policy, I think a sick crew member should get their share of the tip. This is not a normal job where you are sick at home in your own bed, your care is under your own control, and can make up lost wages with additional shifts later on.  Nor are tips otherwise individually earned due to the nature of the crew's work.  I think not following your stated policy is kind of shitty. We can agree to disagree. 

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, jkitty said:

My point is that the ship's policy is not that tips are merit based or based on what you earn individually. They are supposed to be uniformly split. I think that if that is the policy, then follow it. If someone is not pulling their weight, then fire them.  But under the communal tip policy, I think a sick crew member should get their share of the tip. This is not a normal job where you are sick at home in your own bed, your care is under your own control, and can make up lost wages with additional shifts later on.  Nor are tips otherwise individually earned due to the nature of the crew's work.  I think not following your stated policy is kind of shitty. We can agree to disagree. 

But they are based on individual charters. They don't pool the tips and then disperse them at the end of the season so that if you get fired during the season you don't get it, they are handed out based on the charter and Danny did nothing on that charter.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2016 at 8:34 PM, Misslindsey said:

I will be at my table for one in thinking that Danny did not deserve the tip. I was fine that no one argued or insisted that he get his share (especially Captain Mark). He was sick, and because of that he was not doing his job. It is not his fault he was sick, but he was not working at all during that charter, so I do not think he deserved the tip.

I feel the same way. It's tricky because he's still surrounded by his co-workers but it's no different than calling in sick to a regular job. Other people covered his shift. They shouldn't be expected to divvy up their tip so he gets a share for not doing work. Besides, he still receives a salary. It's not entirely heartless.

• Love 6

I think the funniest part of this episode for me was Jen's repeated insistence that "any idiot" could tie the knots if they sat down with a book for 90 minutes when she couldn't tie the knots and didn't seem to be willing to sit down with said book.  I guess she's okay not being able to do something that is expected of her that "any idiot" should be able to do.

• Love 7

Jen just exposed just how phony this whole show really is. Any deckhand would know how to tie a bowline. Any Boy Scout would know to tie a bowline. It's a joke. She breached the fourth wall with her stupidity. Jeeez.

• Love 4

Julia must be confusing for Bobby to understand.  She pushes him away and then is all cutesy and 'Bubby,Bubby,oh Bubby!'   I thought it was telling when Bobby picked up Hannah and Julia rushed under his arm and practically jumped up on his other hip, throwing her hair back and forth going,'Bubby, Bubby!'  The look Hannah shot her would have FROZEN a lesser flirt and they would have immediately slunk away.  I'm curious how she'll explain that to her boyfriend....  I like her and highly dislike Bobby so I don't want her to mess up a good thing with her boyfriend.  Some girls gotta flirt, tho.

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, Trooper York said:

Jen just exposed just how phony this whole show really is. Any deckhand would know how to tie a bowline. Any Boy Scout would know to tie a bowline. It's a joke. She breached the fourth wall with her stupidity. Jeeez.

Hey, from what I could tell from some of the clips is that Jen was using the Boy Scout bowline technique. However, Bryan insisted that was not correct and she should do it his way.

Bryan wants Jen to tie a Bryan Bowline.

A bowline and clove hitch are not difficult knots.

Edited by Belowdeckchatter
  • Love 3
(edited)

Regarding the bows / knots, Bryan was right (it costs me a lot to write it, believe me), in that sense that here is ONE WAY to do them and every one has to do them the same way in order to be able to do the job, mostly in case of emergency ! There's a way to do the things, a sense to put the cords on the deck, etc....

If it's not properly done, it could be damaging, to the material or to people. Really.

(sorry, I'm sick as hell and it's really hard for me to write in English right now, so I hope my post makes sense)

Edited by Diane Mars
my spelling sucks !
  • Love 3
On 7/6/2016 at 7:04 AM, biakbiak said:

I have spent a far amount of time in England and I wouldn't describe Jules accent as posh. Though obviously the whole conversation has some producer manipulation because Jules keeps saying private school so that those of us in the US won't get confused about talk of public schools bUT it's distracting.

From a Brit - Jules does have an entitled accent - it is just more Northern than Ben, who is from the South. And Private/Independant Schools are what we call schools that you have to pay to attend rather than public/state schools that are paid for by the government.So she is right to say Private School. They are often the boarding schools as well.

On 7/6/2016 at 5:12 PM, bosawks said:

Bryan's "instruction" is predicated on his need to demonstrate how much better he is at the task at hand rather than actually teaching a skill.

He's just your standard issue fuckwad.

I agree - that is exactly what he is doing. I think the editing may be making Jen out to be worse than she is just to add to the drama.

On 7/6/2016 at 8:15 PM, Nancybeth said:

I am NOT a Danny fan or apologist, but I think a good compromise on Captain Mark's part: "Danny voluntarily removed himself from the tip pool this time around...but remember he was responsible for the "VIP" tip that everyone divided.  So I'm going to leave an envelope, and if anyone wants to kick in a little from their tips this time towards Danny, it's your choice."

I think that would have been fair. He didn't deserve the whole tip, but he should have gotten a small amount as he couldn't help being sick. I am not sure if i read somewhere that on this show the crew don't get a wage and the charter guests don't pay a fee. Their fee is the tip and the crews wage is also the tip. I am not a 100% on that though but i am sure it popped up in this forum on a previous season ?

• Love 3
(edited)

And Private/Independant Schools are what we call schools that you have to pay to attend rather than public/state schools that are paid for by the government.So she is right to say Private School. They are often the boarding schools as well.

Interesting everyone I know who went to a school that had to be paid for in the UK called it a public/Independent school, I remember being confused by it when I went to visit my cousins when I was 10.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
On 7/6/2016 at 2:04 AM, biakbiak said:

I have spent a far amount of time in England and I wouldn't describe Jules accent as posh. Though obviously the whole conversation has some producer manipulation because Jules keeps saying private school so that those of us in the US won't get confused about talk of public schools bUT it's distracting.

Yeah, I thought they said she was from Leeds.  Not posh, not trying to be in the least.

Jen is a real garbage person with the attitude about what an insult it was that she had to accompany Danny to the hospital.  Seriously?  I don't care how much you hate your coworker, the ONLY acceptable human response is "of course -- let me pack my bag and I'll be right out."  Plus, I don't think it was even the implication that she was the most dispensable person on board to do it -- she seemed to begrudge the fact that anybody had to go at all!

I did laugh when the captain gave her the smackdown for asking if it was bird flu.

As for the tip, Ben was right to recommend the refusal, but somebody should have suggested that they each kick in $100 or something, because it could happen to anybody and they'd want to know they'd receive the same.  No, if you miss a shift at the restaurant you don't get your tip, but he missed what, three days, in obviously severe distress?  Did Hannah prorate the evening and morning she took off for her migraine against her share of the tip?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kassa said:

Yeah, I thought they said she was from Leeds.  Not posh, not trying to be in the least.

Jen is a real garbage person with the attitude about what an insult it was that she had to accompany Danny to the hospital.  Seriously?  I don't care how much you hate your coworker, the ONLY acceptable human response is "of course -- let me pack my bag and I'll be right out."  Plus, I don't think it was even the implication that she was the most dispensable person on board to do it -- she seemed to begrudge the fact that anybody had to go at all!

I did laugh when the captain gave her the smackdown for asking if it was bird flu.

As for the tip, Ben was right to recommend the refusal, but somebody should have suggested that they each kick in $100 or something, because it could happen to anybody and they'd want to know they'd receive the same.  No, if you miss a shift at the restaurant you don't get your tip, but he missed what, three days, in obviously severe distress?  Did Hannah prorate the evening and morning she took off for her migraine against her share of the tip?

On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 7:37 PM, tinaw said:

Hannah worked most of her shift when she had the migraine. Danny didnt work any of his shift while he was sick. He shouldnt get the tip

• Love 2