Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Charter From Heaven, Charter From Hell

• Start Topic

Danny is away at the hospital and the crew revels in his absence.  Meanwhile, Jen at last stands up to Bryan; Tiffany's feelings for Ben grow; and demanding charter guests arrive, sorely challenging the staffers' service and Hannah's patience.

Oy.  Danny.  I literally turned away for two seconds and now the guys are pissed off at him again.  What did I miss.  Hate Bryan.  That second charter group is beyond obnoxious. 

21 minutes ago, beesknees said:

Oy.  Danny.  I literally turned away for two seconds and now the guys are pissed off at him again.  What did I miss.  

Danny returned to the yacht - that's all it took for the rest of the staff to be passed off again!

• Love 6
(edited)
29 minutes ago, beesknees said:

Oy.  Danny.  I literally turned away for two seconds and now the guys are pissed off at him again.  What did I miss.  Hate Bryan.  That second charter group is beyond obnoxious. 

He didn't do anything.  The next charter hadn't even started yet.  Danny was sitting at the table minding his own business when Bryan started in again with his insistent nagging about how things should be done and his patronizing list and Danny was sitting there listening, basically not saying too much when Bobby decided it was his place, because I guess being BFF with Bryan has made him think he's in a position of authority over Danny, to jump in and start chastising Danny about how disrespectful he is, blah, blah, blah.   The worst part is that Bryan just sat there and let Bobby continue with his dressing down of Danny.  What a great leader you are Bryan.  He and Bobby are the absolute worst.

Good on Danny for recognizing that it's useless at this point to try and even talk to them and just walked away.  Bobby is Bryan's bootlicker and Bryan is an utter failure as a leader.  And it looks like next week they're going to be childishly taunting Danny about his phone.  Real winners those two.

Edited by KBrownie
Thought about some more to say
  • Love 19

I don't think Jen, Tiff any and Ben hate Danny.  They may find him annoying, but they don't hate him like Hannah, Bryan and Bobby do.  Which?  Considering what winning personalities THOSE three have, I don't care . I enjoy how he torments them just by existing. 

Hannah is nasty and thinks very highly of her skills.  Which she shouldn't.   Bryan is almost psycho and thinks he's a great manager of people. Which he isn't. And Bobby? Bobby is a cheap, off brand kind of douche no one has a use for.

• Love 15

Yeah,

Bryan and Bobby are turning into little bullies. I don't really know what the problem is between Bryan and Jen. She seems to keep her mouth shut and just does her work.

I think Danny should have gotten the tip. When one of your coworkers goes down you pick up the slack and don't bitch becuase next week it will be you who is sick. Also, I thought the tip motto was,  "one for all and all for one?" I didn't see the crew bitching about sharing in the "MVP" tip.

& were the old ladies gay?

• Love 9

I think it's lousy that Danny didn't get a tip from the charter he was very ill on.  If my co-workers felt that way, I would be out of there.  I thought Ben gave him the opp to offer it, but then Captain Lame would have presented it and suggested NOPE.  Ben and the not-so-captain are assholes.  Speaking of...I would have suggested that accommodations were not available to the drunk charter.  "I haven't been on a vacation in two-weeks!, guy, in that party?  You haven't had a sober or kind thought in as many.  Shame on them.      

• Love 7

I'm completely disgusted that Bobby thinks he would be some sort of hero by working while sick. What a fucking moron. Danny had gastroenteritis, which is highly communicable because of all of the bodily fluids associated with it. The fact that fuckwit Bobby is walking around working and earning the highest tips of the season is because Danny wasn't moving about the ship contaminating every surface. I was hoping that the crew had to wear the Venetian masks too. Anything to cover Bobby's doofus face.

Danny is a ridiculous imbecile. Taking the jet ski to explore the caves. This is his job. I loved that the camera showed that the deck crew is often just staring at their phones because there's not that much to do. Perhaps if he hadn't abused the privilege he'd have had his phone too.

I don't know what more I can say about Bryan. I think I've tried to express how completely and utterly he sucks over the course of the season. He's also either delusional or keeps terrible company because he thinks he's the best and nicest person he's ever met. Well, we know he's buds with Bobby so he definitely keeps garbage company. And we've seen him pontificate about his skills and straight up lie about hooking up with Tiff, so delusional. 

Hannah does not know how readable her face is because it was soooooo obvious that she hated those guests. They were horrible. I kept wondering if there is some sort of inn keeper's duty of care. They over served those guests terribly. That one guest should not have been that tipsy and sluring 2 hours into the charter.

Julia needs to get over her insecurities about her class and education. I didn't think Ben was condescending, but Julia's grammar was wrong those 2 times Ben corrected her. I've watched 3 seasons of Below Deck that was not Ben being condescending. If Julia's still unsure, ask Hannah about the entrée mains fight.  If Julia is going to continue to work on luxury yachts, she should expect worse. I know Robert Irvine does that "them" "those" substitution and every time I heard it was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Love 9
(edited)

As annoying as Danny can be I thought he deserved his portion of the tip.  It wasn't his fault he was ill.  Then on top of it! when Ben convinced Danny to forgo his share of the spoils fuckheads Bryan and Bobby just gave Danny loads of shit instead of appreciating the gesture.

Danny really needed that tip money to send home to his family so deciding to give up his cash was a heartfelt  gesture IMO.  Bryan is such a twat for making Jenn do those knots over and over.  He was just trying to humiliate her.  On the other hand, if Jenn has as much experience as she claims shouldn't she know how to tie a few basic knots?

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 10

Tell me one other person on that boat who would have gracefully volunteered to decline his share of the "season's biggest tip" after lying in a bunk with a 103 fever, getting a medevac to the hospital and coming back with a course of antibiotics. 

No question Danny's foolish and obnoxious, but that doesn't make the Captain's decision to cut him out of the tip after a confirmed illness any less unconscionable.  Shame on you, Captain Mark.

And fuck all the rest of them for going along with that, too--no one had any trouble taking their share of the cut when Danny contributed EXTRA tip money into the pool.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, candall said:

And fuck all the rest of them for going along with that, too--no one had any trouble taking their share of the cut when Danny contributed EXTRA tip money into the pool.

Even with the extra tip money it was still the lowest tip of the season.

• Love 1

Julia needs to get over her insecurities about her class and education. I didn't think Ben was condescending, but Julia's grammar was wrong those 2 times Ben corrected her. I've watched 3 seasons of Below Deck that was not Ben being condescending. If Julia's still unsure, ask Hannah about the entrée mains fight.  If Julia is going to continue to work on luxury yachts, she should expect worse. I know Robert Irvine does that "them" "those" substitution and every time I heard it was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I did not see Ben as condescending either. I thought he was joking or teasing her, but not in a condescending way. I thought I was missing something when she said that. I got the impression when she was telling Ben what guests were up that he was just clarifying what she said. I did not think it was big deal. She obviously does not get along with Ben like she does Bobby, but I did not think he was talking down to her either.

I did not think Jen really told Bryan off like she claimed to Danny. I do think Jen is overstating how awesome her skills are. I do think Bryan can be a dick, but I was fine with how he approached Jen with the whole knot issue.

Hannah does not have a good poker face when it came to the obnoxious guests. I have not been in the service industry since college and it is a good thing, because I would have broke way before Hannah did with those guests. Maybe she needs to learn some of Kate's towel folding skills.

I will be at my table for one in thinking that Danny did not deserve the tip. I was fine that no one argued or insisted that he get his share (especially Captain Mark). He was sick, and because of that he was not doing his job. It is not his fault he was sick, but he was not working at all during that charter, so I do not think he deserved the tip.

• Love 14

The tip thing was odd -- I wished someone (preferably Mark) had explained to us in an interview what percentage of their weekly/whatever income the tip is, and what he's done in the past when a crew member was sick or injured. He comes across as very passive and disengaged, and every week I wonder why he signed onto this show. Lee you'll see supervising deckhands on occasion, observing the activity in the interior, initiating meetings with the different team leads. It's possible he does this plenty and it didn't yield any footage that would advance a storyline, but even what they do show he doesn't exactly emanate leadership. 

It would have been easy for Mark to read the tip situation. Acknowledge Danny waived his right to the tip, which would in theory earn a sliver of respect from his coworkers (not ever going to happen, of course), and set aside a smaller stack to cover medical costs and/or in appreciation of him dealing with a stomach bug while in a confined, moving space. Basically what I guess I'm saying is that in all ways, Mark should be more aware he's on a TV show. 

Curious what's happening with Julia and Ben. I'm biased: I'm American, and part of my job involves customer service for UK enterprise-level sales and marketing folk. As a result, just the sort of accent the two of them have set my teeth on edge, which is a bit unfair of me. But I'm not sure I'm buying Julia's issues with Ben's apparent privilege. She's a young woman with a fairly affected posh accent who has a vanity clothing line. I'm reserving judgment until the storyline runs its course, but it kind of seems like one privileged white person calling another privileged white person a snob. All while serving as 'the help' to other well-off white people.

• Love 5

Danny didn't work the charter.  He doesn't get a tip.  He just gets his salary.  If you call in sick as a server in a restaurant where tips are shared, should you get your share of the tips that night?  Nope.  And asking to take a jet ski to explore caves because you're bored?  Really?  Another example of this kid's immature entitlement.  Love that Mark took his cell phone away. 

Jen just isn't all that good.  There's a 'way' to properly tie knots.  They have to be a certain way so that someone else can 'untie' them easily.  You learn this if you want to sail or yacht.  Bryan's an ass in his methods but Jen has to learn to do it properly.

I give all the stews accolades for not telling that second charter to 'f' themselves.  They were disrespectful to say the least.  Just because someone is there to serve you food and drinks and to get things that are their responsible for, that doesn't give them the right to be treat those people any way you want.  What a bunch of assholes.  Sorry but there's no other word.

I thought Ben was being condescending.  Julia is a sweet girl.  Nothing wrong when she admitted having a problem pronouncing a word and correcting it.  She allowed herself to be open to the correction because she basically asked.  But it's another thing when you correct someone's grammar. 

• Love 16

Ya know, the tip thing was okay - seems a little odd to just accept Danny waiving the tip considering the 'all for one' philosophy, but okay, he didn't work and he offered to be cut out.  What got me was, after he offers to waive his tip, and is still recuperating from a nasty infection(?), Bryan comes in hot and asks him how he's doing - Danny says he's about 80 percent, and Bryan proceeds to start in on the damn list and the Bobby comes in for the pile on about 'disrespecting everyone!' immediately.  I think Danny's a little tool, but he's right, he can't win with these guys.  I thought Danny clearly still looked like shit - I mean, give the guy a minute before the berating commences.  And Bobby's 'he didn't even TRY to work', the kid is confined to his quarters by the captain, and has a raging fever.  If he had worked, they would've bitched that he was risking everyone's health, blah, blah blah...

Bryan, one tip for getting your folks to respect you and work like a team...don't trash talk your subordinates with your other subordinate, ya know, the coworkers you want to work together collaboratively and to show each other respect.  When you're leading people, you don't drive the wedge in further.  This guy doesn't know how to lead (or hold his liquor, apparently), he's just a frat boy with an ounce of power and something to prove.  He and Bobby make me root for Danny and Jen, and that is unacceptable.

Are these latest charter guest really just plants or are they for real?  They are horrendous. 

• Love 13

None of these people are winners, but the "ugh, I HATE being fake" thing Danny was pulling? That gets under my skin. In most quarters "not blowing up at your coworkers" is just called "being professional." He doesn't have to love Bryan, just bite his tongue when the impulse to pop off strikes. Then take 10 and state his case calmly.

• Love 11

Bryan is such a douche and sucks at being a manager.  Picking on your staff and allowing others to jump in on an attack is so wrong. 

He should remain neutral but thrives on the validation that Bobby gives him when he's picking on Danny. 

Granted, Danny is an awful worker but an effective manager would be able to get the most out of him, not make him shut down and harbor resentment.  And the way Bryan goes about treating Jen is pretty awful too.  She shut down a long time ago because of his poor management skills and it doesn't help he's a sloppy drunken jerk when he's off duty.  Who can respect a guy like that either professionally or personally?

Hannah sucks at her job too.  In the service industry, you need to have a go-to face when you encounter difficult clients, especially if there is liquor involved.  Suck it up for a few days.  It's not as if anyone was abusive towards her.  They only started reacting because she had a stink-face on and it ruined their experience.  No one wants to be served by someone who outwardly despises them.  Besides, if it doesn't offend her to find prostitutes for passengers, she shouldn't be indignant about dealing with a group of rude drunks.

• Love 7

Danny shouldn't have thrown away the list.  Another example of his immature arrogance.  You may 'think' you know what you should be doing but your actions show otherwise - he wants to go on a jet ski and explore caves.  Look at the list you threw away.  I just want to verbally slap him.

• Love 10
(edited)

Danny and Jen, Bryan might be a shitty boss but he is still your boss. Both of them come off as crazy entitled.

I have spent a far amount of time in England and I wouldn't describe Jules accent as posh. Though obviously the whole conversation has some producer manipulation because Jules keeps saying private school so that those of us in the US won't get confused about talk of public schools bUT it's distracting.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

After 10 episodes I am trying to get a fix on what makes Jen so special?  She won't learn to tie a knot?  Danny is still a huge pain in the neck.  Where was Mr. Personality Danny when the charter guests from hell were aboard?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

It would have been easy for Mark to read the tip situation. Acknowledge Danny waived his right to the tip, which would in theory earn a sliver of respect from his coworkers (not ever going to happen, of course), and set aside a smaller stack to cover medical costs and/or in appreciation of him dealing with a stomach bug while in a confined, moving space. Basically what I guess I'm saying is that in all ways, Mark should be more aware he's on a TV show. 

Mark is an asshole. I miss Capt. Lee!!  At the very least, I'm pretty sure Capt. Lee would have told the crew it was Danny's idea.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, MsTree said:

Mark is an asshole. I miss Capt. Lee!!  At the very least, I'm pretty sure Capt. Lee would have told the crew it was Danny's idea.

I think two other scenarios would be just as likely if Capt. Lee was in charge: 1. He would have given Danny his plane ticket home long before he got sick or 2. He would have gone to Danny first and told him he didn't need to attend the tIP meeting because he wouldn't be getting one. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, KBrownie said:

Good on Danny for recognizing that it's useless at this point to try and even talk to them and just walked away

Soooo many times I wish I could do that when my bosses start talking their bullshit! 

What a bunch of condescending drunks that second group of charter guests were. Money definitely doesn't buy you class. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, beesknees said:

As annoying as Danny can be I thought he deserved his portion of the tip.  It wasn't his fault he was ill.  Then on top of it! when Ben convinced Danny to forgo his share of the spoils fuckheads Bryan and Bobby just gave Danny loads of shit instead of appreciating the gesture.

Danny really needed that tip money to send home to his family so deciding to give up his cash was a heartfelt  gesture IMO.  Bryan is such a twat for making Jenn do those knots over and over.  He was just trying to humiliate her.  On the other hand, if Jenn has as much experience as she claims shouldn't she know how to tie a few basic knots?

Bryan is just floundering as a manager but I do agree with him on the knots.  To me, it's  safety issue.  Jen may be the one to tie the knot but she may not be the one to untie it.  There can't be any surprises in a team situation especially when they are responsible for other people's safety.  My guess is that Jen with her ten boats of experience makes Bryan feel insecure so he likes to point out that he knows things that she doesn't.

As far as Danny and the tip - I don't think he deserves it.  I think he needs to make up for all the extra work the crew has had to do while he was in fact "working."  I take my cue from Tiffany - who doesn't seem to have a dog in this fight.  When he was shown going around telling multiple people that he was going to put his head down and help out the interior crew to show how useful he could be, she remarked that less talk and some help would be nice.  My impression based on that is that the editing is indeed showing us a true picture of Danny who spends a lot of his work time standing around talking to guests and crew.

• Love 12
(edited)
10 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Danny didn't work the charter.  He doesn't get a tip.  He just gets his salary.  If you call in sick as a server in a restaurant where tips are shared, should you get your share of the tips that night?  Nope.  And asking to take a jet ski to explore caves because you're bored?  Really?  Another example of this kid's immature entitlement.  Love that Mark took his cell phone away. 

Jen just isn't all that good.  There's a 'way' to properly tie knots.  They have to be a certain way so that someone else can 'untie' them easily.  You learn this if you want to sail or yacht.  Bryan's an ass in his methods but Jen has to learn to do it properly.

I completely agree!  We had a cabin cruiser and we live in Michigan.  You could take boater safety in school back then.  Knots were priority one.  We were like 10 - 12 years old.  It seems odd to me that she wasn't tested on this BEFORE getting her job.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 9

I think Danny wanting to take a Jet Ski to visit the caves was producer driven.  I don't think he would have thought of this on his own.  All of a sudden he's all about being a tourist & wanting to see the sites & complaining about not being able to do so.  I'm sure there's many more pictures of the ladies of Greece on Danny's phone than the architecture.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dosodog said:

Should Hannah give up a percentage of her tip equal to the amount of time she recovered from a migraine? 

I'm on the fence about the tip.

I think the tip forfeiture was unfair.  If the policy is that the tip is split evenly, then you split the tip evenly.  I think the only exception should be if someone is fired mid-charter.  In fact, I think the situation where Danny was confined to his room for failing to follow captain's orders - and thus not working - would have been a more appropriate situation to dock his tip (and he should have been fired).  Crew members should not be faulted for doing the responsible thing (staying in bed away from crew and guests) when they are severely ill and possibly contagious.  If Danny is an inferior worker overall when healthy (and I think he is), then he should be fired so he stops dragging the rest of the crew down.  Also, Captain Mark sucks. He should have acknowledged to the rest of the crew that Danny wanted to forgo his tip, but then told the crew that was not his (Mark's) policy and Danny would receive his share. 

Bryan continues to suck at life.  He is actually correct - Jen should know how to tie the knot correctly and Danny should have kept the list - but his management skills and delivery are so abysmal that he comes off looking like biggest asshole in the room every time.  Instead of being respectful, instructive, and helpful (i.e. leading by example), he gets down in the mud even deeper than the people he is criticizing.  It's not a good management style.  Instead of wanting to lead and lift his team up, he just wants to control them.  He can demand respect all he wants, and might be entitled to some based on position alone, but no one has ever built a solid, loyal team by shouting "but I am the boss!!" over and over.  On top of that, he is more than willing to let his dopey, douche-bag lackey Bobby pile on.  Danny was his typical annoying, petulant self in that crew mess scene, but Bobby's rant was completely out of line.  Any respectable manager would have told Bobby that this was not his place and that he needed to leave.  

I am not a massive fan of Hannah, but those guests are horrible.  I have no tolerance for people who are rude to and abuse people in the service industry.  The other have of the "service with a smile" agreement is that the people being served will generally be polite, kind, and respectful.  Servers should not have to sit there and swallow constant insults, degrading comments and hostile behavior simply because they are in the service industry.  If the guests had a legitimate issue with the service they should have told Hannah what they felt was not going right, or told the captain specifically (i.e. it is taking too long to get drinks, the food prep is too slow) so that it could be corrected.  However, it did not appear that there was any actual problem (other than the guests complete inability to responsibly consuming alcohol, thus diverting Julia's attention to tend to an incapacitated guest).  These guests just wanted to be abusive because they felt like they could.  It's vile.  

• Love 15

Bryan's "instruction" is predicated on his need to demonstrate how much better he is at the task at hand rather than actually teaching a skill.

He's just your standard issue fuckwad.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Danny is a ridiculous imbecile. Taking the jet ski to explore the caves. This is his job. I loved that the camera showed that the deck crew is often just staring at their phones because there's not that much to do. Perhaps if he hadn't abused the privilege he'd have had his phone too.

This is what bugs me about the decisions related to Danny.  If you have a crew member who has shown that he does not follow the captain's orders and cannot be trusted to use good judgment around the guests, what is he still doing there? Instead of firing the Danny's insubordinate, irresponsible ass, Captain Mark acts like this is a preschool sandbox and gives Danny timeouts and takes his toys away.  It is totally ineffective, and Mark's decisions (combined with Bryan's shit managerial skills) have led to complete discord amongst the deck staff.  Danny should have been gone a long time ago...

Is it just me, or does the overall yacht experience seem sub-par compared to previous Below Deck seasons?  Ben's food looks consistently average.  (Was he making sandwiches?!)  The parties have seemed very amateurish (although I do not think any "real" charter guest would ask for a theme party - other than maybe a white party - on a yacht).  There just have not been any moments where the experience seemed like "oh that is amazing. I am super jealous."  Although what do I know?  If I was on a mega yacht I would not spend my time demanding "shots on yachts."  I would be up with the sun (seriously, sunrise on a yacht? Yes please) and then on a heavy rotation of eating, sipping champers, swimming, lounging/tanning/reading, jet skiing, jumping off the side of the boat, and back to the champers again with a detour to the hot tub for sunset.  Maybe that is my issue.  We have seen so little of the guests actually enjoying the boat.  All we see are their drunken antics, demands to watch a football game and the occasional beach picnic.   Do you need to rent a mega yacht to do that?  

• Love 6

I dont think Danny should get a tip if he didnt work. No one else in service gets a tip if they didnt work  the whole crew worked extra while danny was gone. They should get extra. Jmo

These new guests are horrible. Hannah did have a face with these guests. She was not happy with herself for not hiding it. I dont find fault with her this time.

Jen talks a good game but i think she is full of it when says how much experience she has. If knotts are expected she should know the knotts and how to do them. Bryan is a pain in the ass but it is a safety thing so i cant blame him for it. Hes still an ass though

Danny just needs to go. He lost his phone for abusing the privilege so he thinks because he is bored he should go sightseeing? Okay cousteau have fun. NOT what a dope

• Love 6

I've been in service, & lived off tips for many, many years. Danny should not have gotten paid tip money if he didn't work HOWEVER his "mvp" was given to him and he had to share it with everyone! I could write a thesis on the tip sharing bullshit.

• Love 5
(edited)
42 minutes ago, tinaw said:

I dont think Danny should get a tip if he didnt work. No one else in service gets a tip if they didnt work  the whole crew worked extra while danny was gone. They should get extra. Jmo

These new guests are horrible. Hannah did have a face with these guests. She was not happy with herself for not hiding it. I dont find fault with her this time.

Jen talks a good game but i think she is full of it when says how much experience she has. If knotts are expected she should know the knotts and how to do them. Bryan is a pain in the ass but it is a safety thing so i cant blame him for it. Hes still an ass though

Danny just needs to go. He lost his phone for abusing the privilege so he thinks because he is bored he should go sightseeing? Okay cousteau have fun. NOT what a dope

34 minutes ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I've been in service, & lived off tips for many, many years. Danny should not have gotten paid tip money if he didn't work HOWEVER his "mvp" was given to him and he had to share it with everyone! I could write a thesis on the tip sharing bullshit.

But most of the service industry does not uniformly pool tips across all staff members (servers, bussers, bartenders, managers).  A server might be required to chip in a percentage to a bussers' pool, but generally you earn individual tips.  I agree generally you do not get a tip if you do not work, but the boat's policy is to share all tips so all tips should be shared.  Danny had to give up his individual tip on the previous charter, and Hannah was not docked a percentage of the tip when she had a migraine and laid down for a while. I think in a situation like that on the boat where you are basically "on" 24/7 it is not the same as working in a restaurant where you could switch shifts with someone when you are sick or pick up extra shifts later on (thus recovering the "lost" tip from missing your shift).  There is no chance to earn that tip back.  I think the idea only came up because it was Danny.  If it had been Julia or Bobby no one would have suggested they forgo the tip.  People just don't like Danny and he should have been fired like three times over by now.  

Generally, I think tips are a shitty way to pay people that unfairly puts them at the mercy of others.  (People should have a decent wage and tips should be optional, not what people live off of ... like in Europe).  I think the sharing policy sucks even more, demonstrating why tips are even more stupid in a boat setting where the labor is divided by the facetime is not.  The service fee should just be included in the cost of the boat.  But if your policy is to share tips, then share.  

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 6

The thing about Danny's bonus tip is that he only got it because he got girls to talk to those creepy old dudes. Meanwhile those girls actually caused extra work for everyone else because they came back to the boat with little notice. Danny said he would help out but it was mentioned that he was all talk by Tiffany and shown by Jen being the one to bring the extra chairs down from the deck that he wasn't actually stepping up to do the extra work.

As for Hannah and the migraine she worked most of the shift and when they were close to done Julia said she could handle the rest. We have actually seen Hannah stay up and send the others off before their shift was actually over so I don't think it's in anyway similar to Danny missing out on an entire charter.

I do think that Ben needs to be more clear about his menus. He once again used the term two courses but this time it was for an app and a main and no dessert. I am actually surprised that they don't have a standard app, main and dessert for every dinner. I find it odd. Also, he should be the one to write the menus because he has the idea of what he wants the stews to convey and clearly knows the most about the dishes  (see Hannah's explanation of moussaka) so I thought it was stupid for him to try to make that part Hannah's responsibility. Now if they were going to actually give out menus to the guests, I think taking Ben's handwritten menu and typing it up should be Hannah's job but it appears they are just verbally stating the menu. 

• Love 6

I'm not sure we've actually seen enough of what's going on between Bryan and Jen re: the knots to know whether Jen is really incompetent, or Bryan is being an overbearing jerk.  I have no real knowledge of knots, but a friend told me that the way Jen was tying the bowline knot was correct, she just did it slightly differently than Bryan, but both methods work (I have no way of verifying this, but the one know I have - figure 8, can be done it a variety of ways to get to the same knot).  So, we just get Bryan complaining and Jen complaining, but I can't figure out who is actually right.  I think it is helpful that she finally just told him that she will work on the knots and it's not helpful the way he has been doing it.

• Love 4

I am NOT a Danny fan or apologist, but I think a good compromise on Captain Mark's part: "Danny voluntarily removed himself from the tip pool this time around...but remember he was responsible for the "VIP" tip that everyone divided.  So I'm going to leave an envelope, and if anyone wants to kick in a little from their tips this time towards Danny, it's your choice."

Bryan is an asshole and not a good manager...but he's still their boss.  Neither Jen nor Danny seem to really get that. 

• Love 11

Ben should be writing the menu and Hannah should be typing it up. The captain asked Hannah in the first episode if she could find some stationary for menus. Clearly she never found any nor did she ever order any. I'm not sure what's going on with Ben and Hannah regarding the menus. It seems like each thinks it should be the other's job and this is the dumb hill they've both decided to die on.

Not that Kate is sunshine and roses, but Kate always typed up the menu and agonized over wine pairings. I think having wine pairings with the meals might have slowed the 2nd charter's blitzed drinking. Anything that suggests that you are expected to pay attention to the food and wine pairings and how they work together might have slowed them down. But then again they were all wasted 2 hours after boarding, so perhaps nothing would have slowed their drinking and obnoxiousness.

• Love 3

Hannah needs to work on her poker face; it was obvious by the second drink that she hated the new guests.

I don't think Ben was being condescending to Julia, just trying to verify which passengers were the ones she meant.  Methinks Julia has a bit of a complex and read too much into a simple clarification.  Ben isn't going to use improper grammar to make her feel better.  And I'll bet, if asked, he didn't even notice.

Bryan remains terrible, but both Jen and Danny have some serious entitlement issues--as though they expect an award for just showing up.

• Love 5

So Danny and his tip for the charter he didn't work...why on earth would he get a tip for taking sick leave (it sounded like he basically had food poisoning?)?  I do think it would've been classier for the primary from the trip where Danny got the extra tip to have just given it to Danny away from everyone.  By giving it to the Captain, it did him no favors.

I also don't get the Captain, he seems really detached.  Danny is a train wreck who should've been sent home many charters ago.  It's so childish to have to take someone's phone away, what is he 7?  Perhaps they couldn't fly anyone else in to take over?

As for Jenn, "only the President of the United States can tell me what to do,"  uh, what?  You are a deckhand, who apparently can't tie knots, just learn the knots already, that's part of your job!  Bryan has consistently picked on her from the beginning to the point where it looks like it's because she's a girl, vs. incompetent.  Have we seen him pick on Danny beyond the list?

I don't get Hannah either, she seems really immature.  Kissing on Bobby, who she knows has a crush on Julia?  Huh?  Is that supposed to make Ben jealous?  He didn't seem to notice or care.  Also, why is the menu such a big deal?  It's obviously someone's job to provide it, so do it already.

I thought the Ben and Julia conflict was weird.  It doesn't take private school to learn how to speak properly.  She sounds uneducated when she uses them vs. they.  Isn't she supposed to be a fancy fashion designer?

One thing I didn't like about this last charter, is that they clearly seemed to favor the American stewardess.  They asked for Tiffany by name, which seemed to shock the Captain.  I wonder if they think the others are pretentious?

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I will be at my table for one in thinking that Danny did not deserve the tip. I was fine that no one argued or insisted that he get his share (especially Captain Mark). He was sick, and because of that he was not doing his job. It is not his fault he was sick, but he was not working at all during that charter, so I do not think he deserved the tip.

I'm right there with you; Danny was sick and it wasn't his fault, but he didn't do his job; so why should he get part of the tip?  The others did work.  I don't get it.

The person I really dislike of this group is Bryan, he is a nasty piece of work, there is something about him that I don't like.  

I think the crew can't stand Danny because IRL his ass would have been fired for writing to that passenger.  That was all kinds of inappropriate.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

The person I really dislike of this group is Bryan, he is a nasty piece of work, there is something about him that I don't like.

It's everything about him that I don't like!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

The something about him in my mind is that he looks like he'd pull a Brock Turner on you and rape you behind a dumpster, but blame it on you (and of course, too much alcohol). 

• Love 5