Type keyword(s) to search

Aquaman (2018)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

AQUAMAN_Title_copy.jpg.83a8db01903e5fa3d9d30e2793de4a00.jpg

“Aquaman” will center on Aquaman as a reluctant ruler of the underwater kingdom of Atlantis who is caught between land dwellers that are always polluting the globe and his own people who are ready to invade the surface.

Cast:

Jason Momoa : Arthur Curry / Aquaman

Amber Heard : Mera

Willem Dafoe : Vulko

Patrick Wilson : Prince Orm / Ocean Master

Dolph Lundgren : King Nereus

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II : Black Manta

Nicole Kidman : Queen Atlanna

Temuera Morrison : Tom Curry

Directed by James Wan

Release date: December 21, 2018

James Wan talks about the shoot in THR (via Batman-News):

"It's a very technically challenging shoot to be on," said Wan as he was being shuttled to the film's Australia set. "Working with water, and even the dry-for-wet sequences are very complex. … Our equivalent of two people sitting around chatting in the underwater world is super complicated. You have to think about CG with the hair, and how their clothing moves, how are they floating, what kind of rig we put them on and all that stuff."

There had been rumors that WB would release a trailer for Aquaman at Wondercon this weekend, in time to be attached to Ready Player One.  That didn't happen, and James Wan tells us all about it..

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Aquaman first look

ew1519_263823704382049032.jpg&w=1100&q=8

ew1519_bn_127629830120321133.jpg&w=1100&

am_12736832193122123.jpg

am_2783163273232802319.jpg

am_217632873821989231.jpg

am_7832783223832048039.jpg

I don't know what to say. I hope it's good. Momoa looks great in the first cover.

Wow, somehow I hadn't heard that Nicole Kidman was in this.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Trini said:

Wow, somehow I hadn't heard that Nicole Kidman was in this.

Yup, as Aquaman's mother.  I've heard that cover with the three of them (as opposed to just Jason) is an exclusive to Barnes & Noble.

Here are EW's captions of the 4 smaller photos in the quote, top-bottom, via Batman News which also has a couple more photos:

Spoiler

• Aquaman faces off with his ambitious half-brother King Orm (Patrick Wilson) who wants to declare war on the surface world.
  • High-seas mercenary Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) tackles a prototype for his super suit and prepares to rays hell.
  • Queen Atlanna (Nicole Kidman) protects a young Arthur Curry.
  • James Wan directs Heard and Momoa inside a galleon as they encounter Aquaman’s mentor Vulko (Willem Dafoe).

Two things:

1) I'm interested in who they cast as Aquaman's father, because no way does Kidman look related to Momoa.

2) I assume there will be many flashbacks, but where does this film fit into the continuity of Justice League?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Trini said:

Two things:

1) I'm interested in who they cast as Aquaman's father, because no way does Kidman look related to Momoa.

2) I assume there will be many flashbacks, but where does this film fit into the continuity of Justice League?

1) Temuera Morrison .

2) I believe it comes after, as Mera's dialog in JL made it sound like Arthur was returning after a long absence, if he had ever been there much at all.  But I could be wrong, of course.

• Love 1

I don't think anyone has attempted anything close to this.  Just think: nearly the whole movie is set under water, but... real people, real lungs.  I'm really hoping it's the most astounding thing ever in visuals.

• Love 4

Warner Bros. boss worries that ‘Aquaman’ won’t be ready in time for its release date

As part of Entertainment Weekly’s big Aquaman reveal, they spoke to newly appointed Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich. This is definitely one of the strangest interviews I’ve read, because Emmerich answers a lot of the questions candidly as an executive, not as a PR hype machine. He answers questions in a way that we’re not used to hearing.

For example, just look at how Emmerich answered the very first question that Entertainment Weekly asked:

What excites you about having Aquaman in your pipeline? 

That it’s coming out this year. I’m excited to have it in as the last Warner Bros. release in 2018.

What a weird response. 

I wonder how worried they really are about the release date, they've been very shy to show any footage (which I'm fine with, the movie is still 6 months away) but I'm concerned the underwater effects aren't working out as well as they'd hoped. I can't imagine how hard it is to make a film set primarily underwater with real people talking and breathing. If it doesn't look exactly right it will definitely take people out of the movie.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:53 PM, MarkHB said:

Yup, as Aquaman's mother.  I've heard that cover with the three of them (as opposed to just Jason) is an exclusive to Barnes & Noble.

I think you might have heard wrong. I subscribe to EW and that's the one I got.

The article actually made me excited for the movie for the first time. After underwhelming JL and not really caring for Aquaman in it (just seemed like a typical "bro" that they were trying too hard to prove was "cool") I was pretty cool on the idea of seeing an Aquaman standalone movie. The article however makes me think this could be a cool movie. Maybe what DC needed was to get the need for a team-up out of their system and now they can focus on bringing good standalone films to the screen. Wonder Women is their best movie yet because it was the only one in which they were not trying to be Marvel, either by rushing to their team-up or trying to emulate the Guardians success with Suicide Squad, or working with a character they obviously dislike and find dull (Superman). It for the most part stood on it's own merits and delivered successfully. Hopefully they can see what worked with Wonder Women last year and bring it to their films going forward with Aquaman. They definitely have some good cast in it who I have liked in other roles, and a good director. I am actually pretty optimistic about it now.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I think you might have heard wrong. I subscribe to EW and that's the one I got.

My mistake, I think it's subscribers too.  Anyone going to a non-B&N newsstand is going to get the Giant Momoa Face.

(edited)

And apparently, when we see them in full (and if you look at the right rear), those will actually be mer-people (it says it in the original article).

Edited by MarkHB

Sure, but this is DC's chance to prove they've finally completely righted the ship.  They should be advertising it more heavily.  The last time we had a release this big with so little promotion so close to its release date was Solo, and we saw how that turned out.

No way will they release the trailer before the con.  They're hoping to recreate the Wonder Woman moment from a couple years ago, where the WW trailer blew the roof off Hall H.  And it was all anyone talked about the rest of the day and was a major topic for the rest of the con.  If they get close to that kind of reaction they can use it as part of their Aquaman publicity.

• Love 1

At this point it would be better to drop the trailer at SDCC rather then online or at the theater. It'll have more hype at a con. 

They have released teaser pics so it's not like they haven't done anything. But I do agree DC needs to step up their advertising game. Or it shows they are worried and don't want to spend the money on advertising so they can try to break even if doesn't do well. 

I'm waiting for the trailer to decide if it's a theater movie or a streaming movie. After Justice League I'm not sure I want to spend the money to see any DC movies besides Wonder Woman. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

At this point it would be better to drop the trailer at SDCC rather then online or at the theater. It'll have more hype at a con. 

They have released teaser pics so it's not like they haven't done anything. But I do agree DC needs to step up their advertising game. Or it shows they are worried and don't want to spend the money on advertising so they can try to break even if doesn't do well. 

I'm waiting for the trailer to decide if it's a theater movie or a streaming movie. After Justice League I'm not sure I want to spend the money to see any DC movies besides Wonder Woman. 

Oh, it'll be Saturday at SDCC; the WB Pictures panel is at 11:00 Pacific time, and we're expecting a trailer for Aquaman, one for Shazam (this is the only SDCC before it releases) and some kind of a tease (or just a still photo of Kristin Wiig in full Cheetah makeup) for Wonder Woman 1984.  I'm guessing that everything will be online shortly thereafter.

I honestly don't think the lack of any Aquaman footage to date is due to concern about the movie; I think it's because the film will have to be so heavily CGI-layered (because people can't actually talk underwater, etc.)  that it's taking a very long time to get ready.

• Love 1

Overall, looks...OK...to me. I've never really cared about Aquaman and this doesn't really change anything. I am glad to see that it looks bright and colorful, though. That is a nice change to the  DC movie style.

But I can wait until this is on cable.

• Love 4

So far, I haven't felt any pull to any of the DC stuff, but this looks awesome.  I've been waiting a long time for this one, Aquaman was always my favorite growing up, because he talked to creatures!!  Small!Me always thought that was the absolute best superpower.    

• Love 3

Looks very promising. I am assuming this takes place BEFORE Justice League? If so, it supports my idea that they rushed Justice League. Who presents an origin story AFTER the character has already been seen in action? The pluses are that it doesn't look too dark, minuses it is has a slight whiff of taking itself a bit too seriously for what it is. But I guess baby steps. 

My verdict: love it! Aquaman could be DC's saving grace after the debacle that was Justice League.  Black Manta looks scary, the trench looks terrifying & Atlantis looks even more beautiful than Jason Momoa-if that's even possible.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

Meras hair looks good Underwater but way to bright/fake on Land.

I appreciate the pop of color, but they could have toned it down a couple shades.

It looks great visually; my only thing is that I hope Momoa's "tough guy/rebel" take on Aquaman doesn't get too annoying. I can already see myself getting tired if it's the whole movie...

• Love 3