Type keyword(s) to search

Greenleaf - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Charity, Jacob and Grace dissolving into hysterical giggles after Charity confides to them that Kevin's gay was hilarious.

Jacob & Kerissa need to get their church going because Kerissa makes a GREAT bitch.

Letoya Luckett is a fantastic vixen. The good Bishop is in for a lot of trouble.

Lynn Whitfield continues her graceful deconstruction of Mae's internal strife.

As much as I get tired of everyone piling on Grace, she kind of deserved Jacob & Charity's duel smackdown.

Rick Fox remains useless.

Zora is the worst.

• Love 4
On 8/15/2017 at 7:12 PM, Neurochick said:

Shit, that male cop was the epitome of a male chauvinist pig.  You see a woman beaten and bruised and you treat her like a criminal?  Men have more upper body strength than women, last time I checked.

Technically, Mac was killed during the commission of a felony (trespass), which makes his death a murder, if self-defense wan't absolutely proven.  The detective was correct to focus on the timeline -- what happened when is crucial to whether Grace should be charged or not.  As it is, her not calling 911 immediately (not that it would have saved Mac) moves the death closer to murder.  (#ThingsILearnedFromHTGAWM)

• Love 1

What's the deal with the Bishop and the lady donor? I hope I read that scene wrong but Bishop didn't return home until evening and the lady wasn't subtle on what she wanted.

Kevin, if you need to find yourself, fine but don't cut off the mother of your child. 

Zoe reminds me of women who act tough with other women but easily fold for men. Since she's a teen, so maybe she'll learn but maybe not. 

I'm glad Mac is dead. I wasn't sure if he would be since TV don't always kill people off who should be dead. 

16 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Technically, Mac was killed during the commission of a felony (trespass), which makes his death a murder, if self-defense wan't absolutely proven.  The detective was correct to focus on the timeline -- what happened when is crucial to whether Grace should be charged or not.  As it is, her not calling 911 immediately (not that it would have saved Mac) moves the death closer to murder.

What was the felony?  Didn't he let her in?  And I think he swung at her first.

17 hours ago, Dee said:

As much as I get tired of everyone piling on Grace, she kind of deserved Jacob & Charity's duel smackdown.

That part pissed me off, because basically they were telling Grace that she was wrong to leave.  Like NO ONE is ever supposed to leave their childhood home for a new place?  WTF?

12 hours ago, TVForever said:

So, it looks like Show is going "all in" on " Sophia- angelic and good,  Zora-wretched and bad".  I'm so disappointed.

That is one way of seeing it.  Another way is that Zora is cracking under the pressure of her family.  Her grandfather's a bishop, her father's a preacher.  She's a member of this famous religious family, all of her life she probably had to be the perfect daughter.  Now she's rebelling.  Sophia never had that.  The environment she's in was new to her; she was raised in Arizona, probably not around a lot of black people.  Now she's around nothing but black people and discovering new things about herself.  

I feel both Sophia and Zora act like young girls, not grown women and that's what I like about this show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

That part pissed me off, because basically they were telling Grace that she was wrong to leave.  Like NO ONE is ever supposed to leave their childhood home for a new place?  WTF?

See, I didn't read it that way. Jacob and Charity are both younger than Grace, so when she left they had no choice but to stay. And, instead of a brief absence, Grace was gone 20 years, while the rest of her siblings held things down at home.

Now, when Jacob and Charity are both in positions to spread their proverbial wings, away from the family, Grace is ready to jettison familial responsibility and disappear once again, leaving a mess of chaos in her wake.  

That isn't fair to Jacob and Charity and I'm glad they verbalized their joint frustrations to her.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Dee said:

See, I didn't read it that way. Jacob and Charity are both younger than Grace, so when she left they had no choice but to stay. And, instead of a brief absence, Grace was gone 20 years, while the rest of her siblings held things down at home.

Now, when Jacob and Charity are both in positions to spread their proverbial wings, away from the family, Grace is ready to jettison familial responsibility and disappear once again, leaving a mess of chaos in her wake.  

That isn't fair to Jacob and Charity and I'm glad they verbalized their joint frustrations to her.

True, but when Jacob and Charity grew up, they could have left just like Grace.  

• Love 1

Right, but they didn't have opportunities to really spread their wings until Grace's return.

Charity's mainstream music career didn't begin to gather steam until well after Grace's return and the situation with Jacob's position as associate pastor was largely (although not wholly) influenced by James trying to coax Gigi back to resuming her calling.

So now that both of Grace's siblings have opportunities to explore new avenues, it's Grace's turn to rightly bear her share of the familial obligation.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Dee said:

Right, but they didn't have opportunities to really spread their wings until Grace's return.

Charity's mainstream music career didn't begin to gather steam until well after Grace's return and the situation with Jacob's position as associate pastor was largely (although not wholly) influenced by James trying to coax Gigi back to resuming her calling.

So now that both of Grace's siblings have opportunities to explore new avenues, it's Grace's turn to rightly bear her share of the familial obligation.

I am still confused here.  All three of the siblings could have left at any time; they could have gone to college in another state, or gotten a job in another state.  That they stayed home is on them, not Grace.  Why should any of them be obligated to stay home with their parents?  Doesn't raising an adult mean that adult can live on their own without their parents?

• Love 4
On 8/17/2017 at 4:46 PM, Neurochick said:

What was the felony?  Didn't he let her in?  And I think he swung at her first.

I think he opened the door, but she told the detective that she pushed her way in.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I am still confused here.  All three of the siblings could have left at any time; they could have gone to college in another state, or gotten a job in another state.  

I get what both of you are saying, but consider Charity's and Jacob's mother and father -- they are (or were) obedient children and the thought of leaving those parents wouldn't come easily. I do wish Jacob had told Grace flat-out that her plan wouldn't work becuase there's no way Daddy would agree to it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I am still confused here.  All three of the siblings could have left at any time; they could have gone to college in another state, or gotten a job in another state.  That they stayed home is on them, not Grace.  Why should any of them be obligated to stay home with their parents?  Doesn't raising an adult mean that adult can live on their own without their parents?

Ideally, parents raising functioning adults mean that kids can live on their own. However, church has been the Greenleaf family business which meant every member of the current Greenleaf family was expected to be involved, through obligation or emotional coercion. The show has emphasized several times that Jacob began preaching in Gigi's absence, while Charity found her calling in music ministry, and even troubled Faith found time to preside over the Little Saints. 

However, it isn't about her siblings leaving to go to college. It's about them assuming their share of familial responsibility in Grace's absence.

And it's not even that Grace left, but that she made a conscious choice to stay away. So, for 20 years she never offered much in the way of emotional support or shouldered any familial obligations the way her siblings did. Now that Grace is back, it's her turn to carry her share of weight so Jacob & Charity have a little room to breathe.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Dee said:

Ideally, parents raising functioning adults mean that kids can live on their own. However, church has been the Greenleaf family business which meant every member of the current Greenleaf family was expected to be involved, through obligation or emotional coercion. The show has emphasized several times that Jacob began preaching in Gigi's absence, while Charity found her calling in music ministry, and even troubled Faith found time to preside over the Little Saints. 

However, it isn't about her siblings leaving to go to college. It's about them assuming their share of familial responsibility in Grace's absence.

And it's not even that Grace left, but that she made a conscious choice to stay away. So, for 20 years she never offered much in the way of emotional support or shouldered any familial obligations the way her siblings did. Now that Grace is back, it's her turn to carry her share of weight so Jacob & Charity have a little room to breathe.

Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree here.  Church was the business of the Bishop and Lady Mae.  I feel it's abusive when parents put their wishes and demands on their children.  Children aren't slaves to be owned, but people with their own personhood.  I think Jacob and Charity are almost in abusive type situations, like being in a cult, "you have to stay here...or else."  This pisses me off because I know so many middle aged women who never were allowed to have their own lives because their parents ran guilt trips on them, "You're supposed to take care of ME."  I knew a woman who was evicted from her apartment because her mother insisted she take care of HER instead of finding her own job; so when the mother died, her daughter had no job and no way of paying the rent.  

The way I see it, both Jacob and Charity CHOSE to stay at home.  It was their decision to stay.  I don't think they had any right jumping on Grace because she CHOSE to leave.  Grace isn't responsible for Jacob and Charity's lives.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

If Grace isn't responsible for Jacob & Charity's lives then she has no right to interrogate them about their current and/or future life choices.

If Grace isn't responsible for Jacob & Charity's lives then she also has no right to waltz back home, make a huge mess of their livelihood and then run away again when things get a little more difficult than Grace is willing to deal with.

Either Grace is in or she's out, there's no halfway; especially when she repeatedly insists on upending the status quo & creating huge messes she expects everyone else to clean up.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 6

Until now, Jacob and Charity weren't able to stand on their own and/or had no desire to do so. I'm not saying this is their own fault or their parents' - it's probably a combination of both. It was easy for them to go into the family business, especially when said family had prestige and money. Why give it up if you're comfortable? Having her marriage upended has given Charity new opportunities, and well, Jacob is a mama's boy who wrongly assumed he was the prince who would inherit his father's "kingdom." He finally realized that wasn't gong to happen, so he left.

Jacob and Kerissa are wrong to blame Grace for the loss of his job. The bishop never respected Jacob enough to turn things over to him. I don't get why Jacob never saw that.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

Jacob and Kerissa are wrong to blame Grace for the loss of his job. The bishop never respected Jacob enough to turn things over to him. I don't get why Jacob never saw that.

Exactly.  Grace offering Jacob her job was foolish because the Bishop would never agree to it.

I liked seeing the siblings interact with one another.  This is really the first time we have seen that.  

I find it interesting Bishop seems to Hold Jacob in disdain for know apparent reason, just as Mae holds Grace in disdain.

i thought Charity's issue with Grace  ran deeper than just Grace possibly preventing her from spreading her wings.  Notice how Charity mentioned Faith.  She was a child, but she knew that Grace left regarding a dispute centered on Faith and she stayed away until an issue regarding Faith surfaced, her death.  Grace then decided to stay to avenge Faith and now that Faith has been avenged, Grace is ready to bounce again.  I think Charity feels, and has expressed in different ways through the series, that she is the spare child, never included, never thought of, never taken seriously.  I think Charity was hoping that now that Grace dealt with the Faith issue, she would finally be free to be a sister to her, and Grace wanting to leave was just a reminder that in the Greanleaf Family, she is less than.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I think Charity feels, and has expressed in different ways through the series, that she is the spare child, never included, never thought of, never taken seriously.

This.  I can understand why Mae didn't want to ruin Charity's time in Nashville, but as Kevin said, she's usually kept out of the loop.  

• Love 1

I think that a lot of Charity's outburst towards Grace has to do with Kevin who, like Grace, left the family suddenly and unexpectedly without thinking about how big of an impact that would have on them or how they were supposed to deal with it.

• Love 3

So is this supposed to be the end of Kevin and Aaron being on the show? It sure does seem like it. It never fails! SMH! Dump the gay dudes without ever really giving them a viable place and storyline. And like someone said, Kevin has just abandoned his only surviving child? Pffft!

• Love 4

I was willing to defend Kerissa before, but now she's being just as bitchy as Lady Mae. Given the sorry state in which she and Jacob find themselves, I see no justification for the amount of smug she is dishing out right now.

• Love 5

Kerissa is taking her disappointment about Jacob out on everyone else. She's coming to the realization that she married a literal fixer-upper and the bitterness is eating her alive.

• Love 6

I hope Zora won't have a plus one with her at the cotillion. 

If last week was Aaron's last appearance, then it's a disappointment since there was a potential storyline between Lady Mae and Aaron with his father.

I'm not liking the direction they are taking with Kevin so far. It doesn't sound like he's in contact with Charity.

I was surprised Charity mentioned her lost child. I thought the writers was going to ignore that like other storylines from last season. 

The Greenleafs definitely know how to have an awkward dinner. 

Lady Mae needs to keep her eyes on Rochelle. 

• Love 2
On Sun Aug 20 2017 at 7:03 PM, Domenicholas said:

I think that a lot of Charity's outburst towards Grace has to do with Kevin who, like Grace, left the family suddenly and unexpectedly without thinking about how big of an impact that would have on them or how they were supposed to deal with it.

The issue I have with Grace leaving is her limited contact with her siblings over 20 years. I understand her anger at her parents but her siblings didn't deserve that. Lady Mae may have said unkind words about Grace while she was gone but I don't think either parents forbid contact with Grace. 

3 hours ago, Dee said:

Kerissa is taking her disappointment about Jacob out on everyone else. She's coming to the realization that she married a literal fixer-upper and the bitterness is eating her alive.

On top of that, she married into a family with more dirt and drama than she  expected. Wait until she finds out what her daughter is doing.

• Love 3

I LOVED that exchange towards the end that Grace and Mae had concerning Rochelle.

Grace: I'm glad Rochelle helped us out. But Mama...

Mae: We'll fight that battle when it comes.

I liked that it was so subtle, but it was enough to let us know that both women know EXACTLY what Rochelle's about and the danger she poses to their family. That should be GOOD to watch as it unfolds.

I hope that Zora doesn't end up pregnant, but somehow I think we're going to get at least a pregnancy scare out of this, if not an actual pregnancy. So much drama, but that's the show we love, right?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TVForever said:

I LOVED that exchange towards the end that Grace and Mae had concerning Rochelle.

Grace: I'm glad Rochelle helped us out. But Mama...

Mae: We'll fight that battle when it comes.

I liked that it was so subtle, but it was enough to let us know that both women know EXACTLY what Rochelle's about and the danger she poses to their family. That should be GOOD to watch as it unfolds.

I hope that Zora doesn't end up pregnant, but somehow I think we're going to get at least a pregnancy scare out of this, if not an actual pregnancy. So much drama, but that's the show we love, right?

That's what makes this show so great--compared to the over-the-top swill that Tyler Perry churns out.  I love the subtly, the nuances and the undercurrents.  Everything doesn't have to be so damn melodramatic all the time.  Lady Mae can speak volumes with her eyes alone and I picked up a Thin Line Between Love and Hate vibe when her eyes turned into slits.  Good acting by Ms. Whitfield!

Speaking of Rochelle, I have to wonder if she was planted by Pastor Skanks.  And, I'm sorry but I just don't see Mrs. Skanks as a "first lady" of a church.  It's like listening to and watching one of those ratchet-trying-to-do-too-much women from one of those horrid reality shows.  Except this one is The Real Church Ladies of Memphis.  

I'm so glad that Charity was finally able to reach out to the former choir director and to finally mourn not only the loss of her marriage, but the loss of her child.  Speaking of which, I sure hope Zora doesn't end up with a child from messing with that pissy-ass boy, who is verbally abusive and manipulative.  I would also be disappointed if this is the last time we see Aaron.  I thought he was a good addition to the show especially with the secret of Lady Mae and his father lingering.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Syndicate said:

So is this supposed to be the end of Kevin and Aaron being on the show? It sure does seem like it. It never fails! SMH! Dump the gay dudes without ever really giving them a viable place and storyline. And like someone said, Kevin has just abandoned his only surviving child? Pffft!

I'm confused.  Do we know for a fact they're not coming back?  Maybe they will come back and be together, now THAT would be interesting.  

I think the conversation between Zora and Sophia was interesting.  Sophia might have been stunned when Zora told her she had sex, but she was interested just the same.  I liked when Zora told her that just because "her grandfather put her in water" did not mean she knows what's best for everybody.  

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Everything doesn't have to be so damn melodramatic all the time.  Lady Mae can speak volumes with her eyes alone and I picked up a Thin Line Between Love and Hate vibe when her eyes turned into slits.  Good acting by Ms. Whitfield!

Speaking of Rochelle, I have to wonder if she was planted by Pastor Skanks.  And, I'm sorry but I just don't see Mrs. Skanks as a "first lady" of a church.  It's like listening to and watching one of those ratchet-trying-to-do-too-much women from one of those horrid reality shows.  Except this one is The Real Church Ladies of Memphis.  

And Keith David. His reaction to everything around the dinner table was funny to me.

l can't take Mrs. Skanks too seriously. The clothes, the voice, the name. Just can't. 

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'm confused.  Do we know for a fact they're not coming back?  Maybe they will come back and be together, now THAT would be interesting.  

I think the conversation between Zora and Sophia was interesting.  Sophia might have been stunned when Zora told her she had sex, but she was interested just the same.  I liked when Zora told her that just because "her grandfather put her in water" did not mean she knows what's best for everybody.  

I don't know, but the recent scenes for both characters seemed suspect to me. It was abrupt, and there seemed to be no reason to really go hiatus on the storyline. We'll see one way or the other.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

And Keith David. His reaction to everything around the dinner table was funny to me.

I howled at James & Mae's reactions to Pastor Jidenna's latest scheme. They are the best.

16 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

I'm sorry but I just don't see Mrs. Skanks as a "first lady" of a church.  

That may be, but I called that Lady Mae sent the request to the wrong email address -- Mrs Skanks (love that name!) was right.  "Measure twice; cut once", Mae!  (BTW, I could hear all y'alls eyes rolling all th way here in LA at Basie's "I found the light" speech!)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, jhlipton said:

That may be, but I called that Lady Mae sent the request to the wrong email address -- Mrs Skanks (love that name!) was right.  "Measure twice; cut once", Mae!  (BTW, I could hear all y'alls eyes rolling all th way here in LA at Basie's "I found the light" speech!)

My husband said the same thing about the email addresses.  He found it hard to believe that even Pastor and Mrs. Skanks would be that petty.  I'm still curious about those "side deals" that Mrs. Skanks referred to earlier this year and how did her husband explain the loss of the money?  Don't even get me started on Basie's speech.  He has a patented speech for everything.  And, did you notice that when he smiled at Grace, the smile never quite reached his eyes?

Lady Mae had better check herself though because revenge is often a dish best served cold.  They say that the Lord has a sense of humor and how fitting would it be for all if the families were forever bound because one PK couldn't keep his pants zipped and the other PK couldn't keep her skirts down.

1 hour ago, MulletorHater said:

{H}ow fitting would it be for all if the families were forever bound because one PK couldn't keep his pants zipped and the other PK couldn't keep her skirts down.

What is a PK, and how does this apply to the Skanks?  

On August 24, 2017 at 10:20 AM, MulletorHater said:

And, I'm sorry but I just don't see Mrs. Skanks as a "first lady" of a church.  It's like listening to and watching one of those ratchet-trying-to-do-too-much women from one of those horrid reality shows.  Except this one is The Real Church Ladies of Memphis.  

On the ratchet scale, Mrs. Skanks is one step removed from Charmaine on Black Ink Crew: 9Mag (if you watch that show, you know what I mean), meaning Mrs. Skanks isn't quite that ratchet, but she's got it in her.

Along with the 5-second f***, I'm really tired of teens going from first base to home run without even pausing at any other "bases".  How is the girl going to know her lover is going to treat her well if she doesn;t know if he thinks certain things are disgusting?

Interesting that Zora and Isaiah hadn't hooked up yet.  The way they were going, I figured it was already happening.  I'm hoping the show doesn't go the obvious route and have one of the cousins turn up pregnant.  Could open up a can of worms and we find out one of the four Greenleaf children had a pregnancy scare.

Poor Carissa.  She wants to be Lady Mae so bad, and GG messed it up by coming back.  She is pushing Jacob to realize his potential and get her to the finish line.

Not cool for Charity to be telling everybody about Kevin.  He hasn't officially come out (only to her, his hookup, and group) and she is pretty much telling anyone that will listen.  He is going to be really mad when he returns.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, PsychoDrone said:

Not cool for Charity to be telling everybody about Kevin.  He hasn't officially come out (only to her, his hookup, and group) and she is pretty much telling anyone that will listen.  He is going to be really mad when he returns.

I'm not sure about this since the reason they divorced was because Kevin is gay.  I could see myself telling family and close friends, it's not like Charity is telling everybody on Facebook her business.  

• Love 8

I actually hated that episode where Charity and others were giggling about the revelation of Kevin being gay. It was no laughing matter in my opinion, and I definitely assume it was no laughing matter to Kevin. He's gone! And he left because he couldn't deal with who he really was.

8 hours ago, PsychoDrone said:

Poor Carissa.  She wants to be Lady Mae so bad, and GG messed it up by coming back.  She is pushing Jacob to realize his potential and get her to the finish line.

Gigi had nothing to do with Kerissa's current situation. That is/was all Jacob's doing.

• Love 2

Grace doesn't have anything to do with Jacob and Carissa's situation.  But, look at the way Carissa gives Grace the evil eye.  In her mind, Jacob was on his way to being heir apparent until Grace came back.  It's all about perception and Carissa wouldn't have any problem with Grace leaving again.

Jacob would've still been the heir apparent if Kerissa, herself, hadn't aired out his dirty laundry.

Kerissa, like Jacob, makes Grace the convenient target for her/their anger because they don't want to deal with the fact that their marriage is/was built on quicksand.

• Love 3

Wow, that fight between Kerissa and Jacob! I'm not sure how I feel about it. I feel like both of them were 100% right.

Jacob strong-arming Isaiah out his house was satisfying to watch.

ETA: Does James really not know what Letoya's character is doing? He's been a pastor for a long time. This can't be the first time a woman has tried to get in with him. The women picked up on it instantly. Did her donation blind him that much?

Lynn Whitfield is a treasure. Watching her gather intel on Rochelle was delightful to watch.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 6

It's amazing how much better this show flows when the cast is actually allowed to interact with each other.

As always Keith David & Lynn Whitfield continue to be awesome. Their banter is so effortless. They really do feel like an old married couple.

Jacob & Kerissa continue to be a Shrew & a Mama's Boy.

Merle Dandridge has been a real revelation in the back half of this season. Her scenes with Charity, James and Darius were the highlights of the episode. Her scene with James was especially good. 

Zora is headed for a world of trouble (Isaiah was teaching you about biology indeed, young lady!) but Lovie Simone was styled exquisitely throughout the episode. 

Letoya makes a wonderful vixen. She's quietly alluring, without being unnecessarily obvious.

Darlene deserves a raise.

Pastor Jidenna is truly a mess. Jason Dirden, however, is utterly adorable.

• Love 4

Jacob forgot the other rules. "No boy should be in my teenage daughter's room ever!" And "My daughter's boyfriend isn't allowed in the house without any adults around."

How Jacob didn't immediately ask Zora how often that happened and how far they've gone in their relationship I just don't get. Did Jacob even tell Kerissa about the boy in Zora's room? If not, he shouldn't be vague on why Kerissa needs to talk to Zora.

Zora had my eyes rolling at her complaining about Jacob. She and Isaiah got off easy compared to how other parents would've reacted.

Zora, if a guy constantly texts and doesn't allow you me time for yourself or with your friends, drop him. Next week teaser doesn't look good for Zora.

Loved how Lady Mae's face turned from sweet and charming to stone cold upon learning what really happened with Rochelle.  Can't wait for that showdown.

It doesn't seem like Kevin is in contact with Charity at all. 

6 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

ETA: Does James really not know what Letoya's character is doing? He's been a pastor for a long time. This can't be the first time a woman has tried to get in with him. The women picked up on it instantly. Did her donation blind him that much?

I think he's picked up on it. He may like the attention or think he can handle it and not let it snowball into adultery territory.

• Love 6