Type keyword(s) to search

Greenleaf - General Discussion

• Start Topic

All this "AJ" drama is easy to predict.  I put that in quotes because AJ isn't the real AJ.  The real AJ is the one that is dead and showed up on the Greenleaf estate at last season's finale.  The AJs were in prison together and worked up a scheme to defraud Grace.  Once fake-AJ found out about real-AJ's death, then fake-AJ felt guilty and tried suicide.  Remember, fake-AJ asked for money from Grace repeatedly and, we now know, he did steal the drugs.  Presumably, for his treatment.  This last episode ended before he could give the full reason why he tried to kill himself.  And, it isn't because he was raped in prison and contracted HIV.  That reasoning doesn't make sense.  He said that to garner sympathy before he tells Grace about the fraud.

Finally, Jacob calls Kerissa's bluff.  The will is not solid evidence of wrongdoing.  She's playing it up, but she stands to lose significantly.  Mac will be behind it all, totally independent of the Bishop and Lady Mae.  Oh, and Basie isn't dead.  No body, no death.  He faked his death to get the heat off of him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oh Tasha, Basie's not dead. He's out in LA running stuff with Don Cornelius. 🙄

I was intrigued by Charity's Bible with the cover in Tiffany's blue. Had to check the googles and no, Tiffany's doesn't sell Bibles. 🙂

Wow, that walking, talking ghoul Judy is wearing a recycled engagement ring. As in, previously worn by Charity. Phil has played both women with that ring. It's probably not even a family heirloom and he bought it at one of the big box stores.

Is Jacob trying to string Tasha along? I thought he was over her.

Looked to me like AJ was stuggling to decide whether to tell Sophia the truth about who he is. I doubt she'd care though. Having an older "brother" seems to mean a lot to her and they have a good relationship otherwise.

Convenient for the Bishop to be losing his memory now that Jacob is starting to dig up the dirty truth about things.

I think Charity is awfully hung up on job titles. Her self-esteem is built on quicksand.

Wait, what? IMO AJ still isn't revealing the real secret. But whatever, shouldn't he have told Grace right away since she got exposed to a pool of his blood? His doing that in the Greenleaf house potentially exposed the entire family. I can't with this kid.

So I bet now Grace will get blood taken for an HIV test. Then somehow it'll come out that she and AJ can't be biologically related because of incompatible blood types. Soap opera 101.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Has everybody abandoned this show? 😟  I'm an episode behind and just watched the 4th one. Still planning to hang in until the end though.

Wow, Lady Mae, Kerissa is a lot but I don't know about comparing her to a white supremacist.

I don't believe for a second that Lady Mae didn't know about Jacob's cheating. She was willfully looking the other way.

Oh, so Jacob's more upset about the chlamydia than the adultery. Okay then.

Easy to blame all the multiple will shenanigans on evil Mac now that he's no longer around to present his side of the story.

Judy telling Charity she's second to God? She's not only petty and jealous, she's blasphemous. Oy, Phil. You need to get your girl a couple or three sandwiches. Her body might be starting to eat her brain for fuel.

Wait, Judy's not divorced yet? How are you engaged to one man while still married to another? I'm amazed that sits okay with the H&H congregation.

Something is still not right about AJ to me. There is a likely another big shoe to drop.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

I'm hanging in there too. But this season seems to be moving at breakneck speed. For obvious reasons, I guess. Most of the characters are unrecognizable from the beginning of the series. Sigh.

And I agree about AJ. Although I wonder if the original "reveal" in the hospital might have been rewritten to the HIV story. Remember, he revealed his secret to Sophia, but we didn't see it happen Then, in his HIV reveal to Grace, it's just the two of them in the room. And there hasn't been another mention of it since then. It almost feels like that hospital room scene could have been a reshoot to accommodate the change in story.

Also, remember that young man who showed up at the end of last season? I think that was the beginning of what was supposed to be the "AJ isn't really AJ" story. Where is he now? We haven't seen nor heard a peep from him or about him since.

I could be mistaken. WE've got a few episodes left. We'll see what happens.

• Love 3
On 7/24/2020 at 1:44 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh, so Jacob's more upset about the chlamydia than the adultery. Okay then.

I would be more upset about the chlamydia than the adultery. Jacob has no leg to stand on about the adultery, but giving your spouse an STI (even a curable one) is another level. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:42 PM, TVForever said:

Also, remember that young man who showed up at the end of last season? I think that was the beginning of what was supposed to be the "AJ isn't really AJ" story. Where is he now? We haven't seen nor heard a peep from him or about him since.

Yes we have. He’s deceased- they (meaning the police) say he was responsible for the robberies. But we the audience are supposed to think it was really “AJ”, who took this young man’s identity. 

1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes we have. He’s deceased- they (meaning they police) say he was responsible for the robberies. But we the audience are supposed to think it was really “AJ”, who took this young man’s identity. 

Thanks, I didn't realize that was the guy. But even that was a very convenient wrap-up to the "fake AJ" story. Wasn't it just a throaway line that the guy had been killed? The way he was brought in last season, it just feels like a bigger story was planned, now squashed because the show is ending instead.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would be more upset about the chlamydia than the adultery. Jacob has no leg to stand on about the adultery, but giving your spouse an STI (even a curable one) is another level. 

Yes we have. He’s deceased- they (meaning the police) say he was responsible for the robberies. But we the audience are supposed to think it was really “AJ”, who took this young man’s identity. 

Let's also not forget how Kerissa got chlamydia: knowingly sleeping with H&H person for a house and trying to bring down the Greenleaf family (which, BTW, means possibly that her Greenleaf kids get caught in the crossfire). So yeah, I don't blame Jacob for being more mad and upset about contracting chlamydia from Kerissa and her attempt to destroy his family. I would be too if (God forbid) I was in his shoes. 

Edited by Risha17
  • Love 2
(edited)

Meh, there's a biblical admonition against adultery. There isn't one against giving your spouse a disease. What if it was the flu or a cold that Kerissa got from the H&H guy? Would that be less bad? I'm just not here for Jacob's ridiculous hypocrisy.

Now Kerissa trying to destroy Jacob's family is a whole 'nother issue AFAIC. He should be extremely upset about that but he seems to be focused on the curable STI because that's the one thing which he thinks gives him a sliver of moral high ground. Kerissa's always been a social climber who thought she deserved more than whatever she had--despite the biblical commandment against coveting. Jacob might want to stop acting like he's never met her before.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2020 at 2:44 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Has everybody abandoned this show? 😟  I'm an episode behind and just watched the 4th one. Still planning to hang in until the end though.

I'm still watching this each week - it's one of my favorite shows on TV. Sad to see this is ending this season, but they promised a spin-off so I hope it's a good character (maybe the two young cousins and AJ in NYC ? Maybe Basie, Tasha, and Rochelle?))

They need to reel in Lady Mae. I love Whitfield as an actress (though her wig is atrocious) , but she recites all her lines like she's doing Shakespeare. She's way too dramatic, and teeters on becoming comical.

The actress who plays Kerissa is one of my favorites - she looks remarkably like a young Dionne Warwick (from the 1980s) and could very well play her in a biopic.

AJ is adorable - and so is his dad.

• Love 2

They need to reel in Lady Mae. I love Whitfield as an actress (though her wig is atrocious) , but she recites all her lines like she's doing Shakespeare. She's way too dramatic, and teeters on becoming comical.

Heh, this many seasons in it's probably too late to tone down Lynn Whitfield's acting approach to Lady Mae. And re her hair, over the years of watching the actress's hairline recede so severely, I fgured she must have traction alopecia from wearing heavy weaves.

Sad to see this is ending this season, but they promised a spin-off so I hope it's a good character (maybe the two young cousins and AJ in NYC ? Maybe Basie, Tasha, and Rochelle?))

I didn't realize there was going to be a spin-off. Hope that's still in the works given the filming and production difficulties caused by the pandemic. If Jason Dirden's in it, I'm on board.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Heh, this many seasons in it's probably too late to tone down Lynn Whitfield's acting approach to Lady Mae. And re her hair, over the years of watching the actress's hairline recede so severely, I fgured she must have traction alopecia from wearing heavy weaves.

I didn't realize there was going to be a spin-off. Hope that's still in the works given the filming and production difficulties caused by the pandemic. If Jason Dirden's in it, I'm on board.

Yes, I believe it was Oprah who said it when the current season kicked off last month. When it will go in production, and when it will air... who knows ?  And yes, bring back Basie (cause I don't believe he's dead).

As for Whitfield's distracting wigs, maybe they could put her in turbans with each wardrobe ? She'd look so much better.

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Love 1

With all the dirt on her, I don't see how Kerissa thought she could demand sole custody. But then again, the custody judges tend to favor the mother, don't they?

I like Phil's father. He don't take no stuff, even from the holier than thou Greenleafs.

Deep background. Yusef talks like he's an ex-spy or something instead of a former Black Panther

I am amazed Kerissa was willing to give up living on the estate. Without Jacob she'll likely find her social stock decreasing significantly.

That was a great scene with drunken Gigi, Charity, and Jacob. And yeah, Gigi's light skin should've long been something Charity and Jacob wondered about, especially since they're both dark-skinned.

Darius is probably dead. These H&H people aren't playing.

• Love 1

So we know how this is going to play out, Zora dropped the line to Sophia if they live together in NY it will be like a TV show. As expected, that's the spin-off.

Now with James gone (expected that, too, with his confessions throughout the show) what happens to house and Church ? They'll need ti wrap that up next.

• Love 2

So they didn't kill Darius. Okay. What did the H&H people think having him spend the night in jail was going to accomplish?

Still not getting the Flag Day thing.

The impromptu singing of Amazing Grace was very powerful I thought. Perhaps the most powerful moment of the series.

Wow, Phil has all the nerve. After what he put Charity through he tried to get back with her? I'm glad she got her little moment to shut him down and strut away, and I sure hope she doesn't change her mind.

Poor Bishop. And poor Lady Mae. I hope the EMTs arrive soon enough to save him if he isn't already gone.

Greenleaf is going out with a bang it seems. I'm still waiting for AJ to confess though. 🙄

Well, I was surprised because I didn't think they'd really kill the Bishop off before the finale.

Man, Sophia and Zora are so thin they look sickly to me. They both need to eat a couple of large pizzas IMO. 🙂

That product placement with Grace's Buick SUV was a bit heavy-handed, lol.

Jacob playing chess with himself. Hmm, I guess there was some kind of symbolism there but darned if I know what.

I didn't realize how tiny Lynn Whitfield is. Everyone seemed to be towering over her in this episode.

Gosh, I actually got a little teary eyed when AJ answered the altar call. Unless he's truly an evil character I guess the whole stolen identity thing was kiboshed by the writers.

So Gigi is going to be the star of the spinoff in NYC? Meh. But good for Rick Fox I guess.

Bye, Greenleaf. It's been a ride.

• Love 2

So I've just binge watched this show over the last few weeks. Overall, it was good I guess.

I have to say, by the end I was rooting for Tara and Rochelle to get one over the Greenleafs.

Kerissa was probably my favourite character.

• Love 1

I binged the last season on Netflix. I'm confused. Did the writers drop the AJ not being AJ storyline? I wonder if the writers thought they will get more than a season five but when they learn this was the last season they scrapped that idea? 

I guess they resolved it the best way they could. I didn't expect Bishop dying like that. I really thought he was going to die on stage during his big speech.  Did he have a stroke or a heart attack? 

I think you will be satisfied. I did the same as you -- gave up a few episodes into season 4 because it was getting too ridiculous. Season 5 is better, not as good as season 3, but much more watchable than season 4. The show ends nicely and ties up all the loose ends. 

• Love 1
On 8/5/2020 at 5:27 PM, LetsStartTalking said:

So we know how this is going to play out, Zora dropped the line to Sophia if they live together in NY it will be like a TV show. As expected, that's the spin-off.

Oh man, I hope not. Sophia and Zora are my least favorite characters.

• Love 2
On 9/3/2022 at 11:15 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Omg, I’m really late on this series.  I’m binging season 1 right now on Netflix. I like it though.  It took a while to locate this thread.  Lol. Has there been any news about a sequel?  

I have not heard anything. Let me know what your other thoughts are.