Type keyword(s) to search

Greenleaf - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, Arcadiasw said:

I imagine James' weekly sermon will be like the scene from "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" on the Simpsons. The mayor is trying calm the citizens down over Mr. Burns proposal of blocking out the sun and a lot of Springfield citizens are stroking their gun.

I saw the first episode again and Kevin cheered up Charity after the family dinner by suggesting they get ice cream and watch The Bachelor. Do straight men watch The Bachelor?

Lady Mae better get all her money back just in case a lawsuit is filed against the church. When Mac's story becomes public, more victims can come out and they may take it out on the church, saying Lady Mae and James knew. You know Pastor Skanks is gonna be all over this.

I think Oprah already knows and that's why we have shows like Greenleaf and hopefully Queen Sugar will be just as good.

Can't figure out how to highlight what I want to comment on from a previous poster so I'll just say this: YES, straight men do watch the Bachelor!!! They're looking at all the female contestants who are usually quite alluring. Now if he was watching the BACHELORETTE that would be a different story...all those dudes...

On 3/17/2017 at 3:23 PM, Dee said:

I wouldn't put it past the show to have a James/Mavis produced long lost lovechild turn up at some point.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:09 AM, Happytobehere said:

I too wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there is a love child that will pop up at some point during the show. 

Ear-worm time!! 

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

Ipecac syrup to make the gay urgings go away? Is that for real? WTAF?

Guess Gigi's batting practice came to good use. Not sure what beating up a car ultimately accomplishes though.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5
On 3/23/2017 at 11:07 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Pastor Skanks having Jacob do neighborhood recruiting for the new church was surely setting him up for extra humiliation when Jacob eventually learns the truth.

Apparently, I missed a major plot line, what's the truth about Pastor Skanks and Jacob? Is it about the fire that Skanks father died in? I need to pay more attention and stop fast forwarding so much. 

Okay, is it just me, or did anyone else think that Pastor Skanks' wife was a little too...extra?  From the frowsy blonde hair, the loud outfits, and over-the-top speech patterns and mannerisms.  I put on my "Lady Mae" face a few times last night.  I looked at her like, "Boo, please take a stadium full of seats because you are trying to do TOO much!"  Is Pastor Skanks supposed to be the "hip-hop pastor" and is his wife supposed to be a "Love & Hip Hop of Tennessee" caricature?  Kerissa peeped her card though at the welcome event because old girl was clapping a little too hard.  I'm always suspicious of people of who are a little too friendly, too intrusive and over-offer their help.  Call me bougie, stuck up, uppity or whatever, but I would have had a silver crucifix and rebuked that foolishness  in several tongues had it come up to me.  I have no doubt that she is in on whatever Skanks has planned for Bishop.  

Jacob may be fine but, as my grandmama used to say, "that boy ain't got a lick of sense!"  I wonder if a double-cross is coming as he becomes increasingly more and more uncomfortable with Pastor Skanks' style?  I'm glad he finally conveyed to his mother that he was not happy.  I just wish he had taken Bishop's advice and pursued his dream in another arena.  It was established previously that Jacob can't preach and his own child even claimed he found his sermons on the internet.

Interesting that Charity's mother-in-law knew about her son's bisexuality.  And, what in the world was that shit she was trying to serve up at dinner?  At first, I thought Sophia was being a disrespectful little heifer when she said she wasn't hungry and that it smelled like the school cafeteria downstairs.  But, nobody else wanted to eat that mess and you could practically smell it through the TV screen.

Gigi banging up Mack's ride with the bat was quite apropos.  They say that a man's car is an extension of himself, like another penis.  And, notice he didn't come for her.  My husband yelled, "You ain't built like that, bruh!"  Of course not.  He preys on children, but backs down like a coward when face to face with a grown woman with a weapon.

I am so grateful that Tyler Perry's imprint isn't on this show.  The characters are way more nuanced and the coonery is non-existent.  Nor, is there a need for high drama every damn minute.  

• Love 12

Apparently, I missed a major plot line, what's the truth about Pastor Skanks and Jacob? Is it about the fire that Skanks father died in?

Yeah, basically. Pastor Skanks is using Jacob to get back at Pastor Greenleaf. Jacob is like a member of a local royal family and doing that door-to-door stuff would ordinarily be beneath him. You could tell he was struggling to contain his embarrassment. When he finds out he was used as a pawn in a revenge ploy, it'll probably hit him hard, especially given how much of a comedown in living standards he and his family had to take.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

What in the world was that shit she was trying to serve up at dinner?  At first, I thought Sophia was being a disrespectful little heifer when she said she wasn't hungry and that it smelled like the school cafeteria downstairs.  But, nobody else wanted to eat that mess and you could practically smell it through the TV screen.

I love this whole post, but I think you need to stop holding back and to say what you really think!  LOL

The "bowtay" looked like a chicken stew to me -- it didn't look bad at all. 

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

When he finds out he was used as a pawn in a revenge ploy, it'll probably hit him hard, especially given how much of a comedown in living standards he and his family had to take.

Lady Mae told him in this episode that he was being used as a pawn.  The Bishop has had nothing but contempt for him, apparently his entire life -- Jacob probably welcomes the chance to take Daddy down a peg.

• Love 1

James contempt for Jacob is a fairly new development.

But, as usual, whenever Greenleaf's writers want to create tension they trash characters to facilitate the plot.

16 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Guess Gigi's batting practice came to good use. Not sure what beating up a car ultimately accomplishes though.

Uncle Mack is the one that needs that syrup to make HIS "urgings" go away...ugh

• Love 5

Count me in with those not buying Oprah's sudden descent in booze and oxy addiction, and laying about with some young thing, WTF? I do like Grace and Rick Fox. Also agree on Pastor Skank's wife, is she trying to live up to her name, or maybe this is how new jack preacher's wives are.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
wrong show posting
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Who in their right mind would follow someone like Basie Skanks?  He's a bad Sweet Daddy Grace/Father Devine wannabe; plus he's short and greasy.

Plus his name is Basie Skanks!

On 3/30/2017 at 0:22 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I've read that in the medicalized versions of gay conversion they would apply various aversion techniques. On the Australian soap A Place to Call Home, set in the 50s (available on Acorn), a gay character was given electric shock therapy. It was appalling. 

• Love 3

I feel awful for Charity and Kevin. They're both decent people in an impossible situation. Love is love, but how could Charity be with Kevin right now without feeling like she was being used to suppress his true desires for someone else? 

And I don't know why, but the baptismal scene with James and Sophia made me misty-eyed. When he said, "I got you," it was just all very touching.

i like both the teens, Sophia and Zora. But it feels like a weird " good girl, bad girl" dynamic is being set up. I'm not sure I like it, for reasons I'm reluctant to admit. I'll keep watching and hoping I'm wrong.

• Love 9

I felt bad for Grace when she was trying to inform the woman about Mack and her threw religion in her face.   I saw how Grace was trying to reconcile her religion and not being able to forgive Mack.  I think in Sophia's baptism she found a way.  Holding on to all that anger is not good for her.  I love the fact that Pastor Greenleaf is finally fighting back, love Lady Mae saying we don't need to wait, we have waited long enough.  I'm intrigued by Pastor Sister Sister dad and his son having a bigger role.  I want to know more.  I was also amused by the comedic Pastor and have never been to a sermon based in comedy, sounds like fun.

• Love 2

Okay, I'm just going to put this out here and you all tell me if I'm way off track.  It was established that Mae had a "dangerous liaison" with the visiting pastor. Of course, he didn't come to cause any trouble, but Mae is as jumpy as a cat on a hot tin roof.  She didn't genuinely smile until she was sure that he and his son were on their way to the airport, only for the son to end up staying.  Is it possible that he's Grace's biological father and this is the primary source of Mae's anger, contempt and hatred of Grace?  It has to be more than Grace spilling secrets, highlighting the family's hypocrisy and usurping Mae's plans for her favorite son, Jacob.  She looked as if she was going to pass out when James offered Mr. Tall, Tan and Talented a place to stay--in Jacob's room.  I felt all kinds of anvils drop when the scene immediately switched to Grace in her office.

Charity and Kevin.  Lawd....I get the sense that if this other guy wasn't an option (perhaps in Charity's mind) that she might be a little more receptive of Kevin's advances and trying to work on their marriage.  On a shallow note, I love her haircut and her skin is gorgeous.  Charity has that certain something this season that was missing last year.  She is looking more and more sophisticated and glamorous and taking a lot more care with her appearance, and it's not because of Kevin.  Kevin isn't blind and knows what he saw playing out on that stage, and Grace peeped it a few weeks ago.  When Kevin asked Charity point blank if she and this other guy had a thing goin' on, I laughed at Charity's explanation that they were "performing."  Um, boo-boo.  You perform like that if you're Rick James and Teena Marie--not on stage in front of your husband, parents, other relatives, and the entire congregation.  This isn't going to end well for either Charity or Kevin.  My husband just shook his head and said, "Bruh--just cut your losses and move on."

Jacob clearly misses being a part of the Greenleaf worship experience.  Too bad, so sad.  I was touched by Sophia's baptism, which happened so organically.  I liked that she wasn't forced into it.  I also feel bad for Grace.  I don't think she can ever forgive Mack for what he did.  Maybe there's a more constructive solution to dealing with it and I look forward to seeing what that is.  And, color me shocked that Mack was actually with a grown woman last night.

• Love 9

Aw sookie sookie now. Lady Mae's got a dirty little secret.

Reverend Adenoids. Oh dear.

Maybe Mac should try starting his life over somewhere else. Though, in the age of social media he may not be able to outrun his past for very long. Gigi would probably set up an anonymous FB or Twitter page just to keep trying to shame him publicly.

Don't know what to make of these hip hop-ish gospel songs that seem to be based on double entendres. Not judging, just find it interesting.

Charity and Kevin.  Lawd....I get the sense that if this other guy wasn't an option (perhaps in Charity's mind) that she might be a little more receptive of Kevin's advances and trying to work on their marriage.  

Yep, that was my take on it too. Also funny how Kevin's jealousy seemingly overrode his urgings for other men. Meanwhile, what if Jabari also turns out to be deep in the closet?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I lol at Grace's initial reaction to Sophia being baptized. She didn't seem happy of the decision but at least Sophia was allowed to make the choice herself and Grace should've seen this coming. 

I'm glad Charity made the decision to divorce Kevin and not drag it out further. She was over the relationship at the end of last season and who could blame her. I think all the church gossip clique will be whispering about Charity and Jabari after their performance on stage and when Charity's divorce is announced. 

Well, well Lady Mae is looking like the hypocrite. I'm sure the son will find out about his father and Lady Mae. 

3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

So high and mighty judgemental Lady Mae had an affair? 

Most judgmental people usually are hypocrites. Worst they pretend to not see it. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Is this all there is with Mac the freakin molester? Last season it was the biggest deal, now it's pretty much a non factor. He's living in a skank apartment and Grace stalks him every chance she gets? That's it? I'm really underwhelmed with what the writers did with this story line just as I'm underwhelmed with the Charity and Kevin situation. He's jealous of Charity and that guy? Come on now. Kevin's mind is on other men. Let's not forget how obsessed he was with fighting his desires last season, let's not pretend he gives a crap about having sex with Charity now.    

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 6

I'm finally caught up to the most recent episode ("Revival"), and I'm really enjoying season 2 so far.

I like Charity's music producer, Jabari. They'd make a cute couple.

And I loved all the revival scenes.

The scenes focusing on Sophia's baptism were quite moving.

So Lady Mae had an affair w/Tim Reid (can't remember the character's name). Maybe, just maybe she'll stop judging everyone else.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/6/2017 at 10:52 AM, MulletorHater said:

Okay, I'm just going to put this out here and you all tell me if I'm way off track.  It was established that Mae had a "dangerous liaison" with the visiting pastor. Of course, he didn't come to cause any trouble, but Mae is as jumpy as a cat on a hot tin roof.  She didn't genuinely smile until she was sure that he and his son were on their way to the airport, only for the son to end up staying.  Is it possible that he's Grace's biological father and this is the primary source of Mae's anger, contempt and hatred of Grace?  It has to be more than Grace spilling secrets, highlighting the family's hypocrisy and usurping Mae's plans for her favorite son, Jacob.  She looked as if she was going to pass out when James offered Mr. Tall, Tan and Talented a place to stay--in Jacob's room.  I felt all kinds of anvils drop when the scene immediately switched to Grace in her office.

I like this theory.  I was more on the line of thinking that Lady Mae had decided to go off with a Tim Reid's character when she discovered she was pregnant with Grace, thereby forcing her to stay with the husband and life she had decided se didn't really want.  This explains her resentment if not outright hatred of Grace makes sense  as Lady Mae blames her for ruining her chance at the life and happiness she wanted.  The Bishop being completely Team Grace only serves to exacerbate her disdain towards Grace because it almost becomes a scase of 'Of course you would love this child who chained me to you and took my dreams away.'

I think Charity is setting herself up for a fall if she walked away from Kevin because of Jabari, who I suspect might be gay.  I think she should have ended he relationship with Kevin because at the very least he is bisexual and lied to her.  At most he is gay and will be having affairs with men sooner than later because if he was struggling with his desires when she didn't know, her getting back with him would allow Kevin to see Charity as co-signing on his interests.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 7

I'm confused about certain things.

Did Lady Mae actually have a real affair with the visiting pastor?  All she said was he wanted her to run away with him.  It's possible to be in a relationship with someone without having actual sex, but yes, Lady Mae needs to STOP being so judgmental.

No, I don't think Jabari is gay, but it would be interesting.  I'm not really sure Kevin is gay or bisexual or what.  See, I don't think sexuality is always one way or another.  It was interesting that Kevin's mom knew just what Kevin was struggling with but I wonder if Kevin ever had the chance to explore his sexuality.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I'm confused about certain things.

Did Lady Mae actually have a real affair with the visiting pastor?  All she said was he wanted her to run away with him.  It's possible to be in a relationship with someone without having actual sex, but yes, Lady Mae needs to STOP being so judgmental.

No, I don't think Jabari is gay, but it would be interesting.  I'm not really sure Kevin is gay or bisexual or what.  See, I don't think sexuality is always one way or another.  It was interesting that Kevin's mom knew just what Kevin was struggling with but I wonder if Kevin ever had the chance to explore his sexuality.  

I think Lady Mae probably had sex with the visiting pastor. People may feel guilty by emotional affairs but they aren't usually so jumpy unless they crossed the line. 

I do think Kevin is bi-sexual, and given a host of reasons he probably never fully explored that. It seems that he is close to his Mom, and she probably saw that he had gotten "too close" to certain guys when he was younger, and she may have encouraged him to date women exclusively. I can't speak from experience but it may be harder for someone in Kevin's position to explore all sides of their sexuality- if he was a 5 on the Kinsey scale with no attraction to women at all, it may have been easier to say "screw it i cannot hide who I am religion and culture be damned", but if growing up he did have genuine attraction to both guys and girls, I could see him pushing down his attraction to men and just not dealing with it, not wanting to mess up his life. 

I think one day he and Charity can be good friends but he did lie to her and you can only "pretend" for so long. He needs to figure out for himself if he can be fulfilled being in a monogamous relationship with a woman, (or anyone) without tying charity down. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I do think Kevin is bi-sexual, and given a host of reasons he probably never fully explored that. It seems that he is close to his Mom, and she probably saw that he had gotten "too close" to certain guys when he was younger, and she may have encouraged him to date women exclusively. I can't speak from experience but it may be harder for someone in Kevin's position to explore all sides of their sexuality- if he was a 5 on the Kinsey scale with no attraction to women at all, it may have been easier to say "screw it i cannot hide who I am religion and culture be damned", but if growing up he did have genuine attraction to both guys and girls, I could see him pushing down his attraction to men and just not dealing with it, not wanting to mess up his life. 

I agree.  I don't think Kevin has come to terms with his attraction to men.  It's one thing to say, "I like men, but I like women better," and make your decision based on that information.  But it's different if that part of yourself has been suppressed completely.  

• Love 7

So glad there is a thread for Greenleaf. I ended up enjoying this show way more than I thought I would in season 1 so I am back for season 2. I do want to say that I'm glad Charity called things off. Kevin has a lot of things he needs to figure out about himself and it isn't fair to Charity to make her pretend because he is too afraid to explore that part of himself. I hope he realizes that he needs to live in his truth and that there is absolutely no shame in being gay/bi.

On a shallow note: Charity looks great with the short hair and earth tone makeup.

Oh and I am SO looking forward to seeing more of Tim Reid. Love him so much.

• Love 8

Deborah Joy Winans is stunning.

Between Tye White here, and Juan Antonio & Jussie Smollett on Empire, this week has been a virtual mother lode for beautiful half naked gay Black men on television. Keep those random boxer brief shots coming y'all!

• Love 4

Heh, Gigi probably wants to pray, "Lord, deliver me from this sanctimonious child." ?

OTOH, if she doesn't want to keep getting caught doing the walk of shame, she might want to keep her assignations to the daylight hours and stop with the sleepovers until Sophia goes away to college (or to visit her daddy).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

OTOH, if she doesn't want to keep getting caught doing the walk of shame, she might want to keep her assignations to the daylight hours and stop with the sleepovers until Sophia goes away to college (or to visit her daddy).

Really. Can't she get up, get dressed and get home after her fun sexcapades?  Why spend the night? Isn't this what we all did when we still lived at home, lol? I know GiGi is an adult, but hey, she still needs to set an example for her born again judgy daughter. 

How many of us think Ma and Pa Greenleaf will convince Charity to stay with Kevin? 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4

Jacob is a case study of someone who has basically had everything handed to him.  H actually thought it was appropriate to call his family's handyman to fix up his house and not pay him.  All the while he is talking about being his own man and not living off his parents.  Guess what brother, using the family staff for your benefit without compensation still counts as living off of your parents.  Hell, you now know the only job you could get outside of your parent was at the hands of someone who is using you to get back at your father; so again what you have has nothing to do with you and everything to do with your parents.  This makes his "stand" at Calvary all the more laughable.  I won't develop respect for Jacob until he actually stands on his own two feet, something he really had not yet done. Did enjoy his read of Gigi though.  Thank goodness his wife seems to possess a modicum off intelligence, or he would truly be down the rabbit hole.

Lady Mae, you better stop scheming because it will all backfire on you.

I now don't trust Tim Reid's son --  why s he recommending an attorney for Kevin?  Is he planning on sabotaging Kevin or the Greanleafs?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, TomGirl said:

I agree it didn't look good for GiGi to come home at 5 am, but she told Sophia she wasn't sleeping with the guy (I forget his name) and I don't think she'd lie about that.

Yeah but after she got caught by her mother last season, you'd think Grace would think twice staying out all night with a guy.

Jacob is a sucker. Basie Skanks knew how to reel him in. I do agree with what Jacob said to Grace. She had that coming.

I think Preston dodged a bullet marrying Simone.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I think Preston dodged a bullet marrying Simone.

Agreed. She was so sanctimonious that I can't imagine she'd make a pleasant wife or mother to anyone. Sheesh. Too bad their church doesn't have nuns. The fact that she'd want to prevent her future children from knowing about the world because it would be a threat to their beliefs is appalling to me.

• Love 4

What strip club did Basie meet his wife in?  Probably a low class one.  I think Basie is in bed with the mob or something.

LOL Basie played short stop, cause he's teeny weeny!

I want Lady Mae to squash Basie like the cockroach he is.

And that Simone person, damn what a witch.

And Jacob is an asshole and a half.  He's so jealous of Grace he doesn't know what to do.  If he had any brains, he'd stage a coup, get rid of Basie and run Triumph.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 7
On 4/9/2017 at 7:50 AM, Dee said:

Deborah Joy Winans is stunning.

Isn't she? Just gorgeous.

I'm beginning to wonder if Kerissa regrets marrying Jacob. Seriously, she could do so much better. He's not a bad guy (except for the cheating), he just isn't very smart, and he's too easily manipulated and easily influenced by the opinions of others. Kerissa is so smart and capable and ambitious. I just wish she were with someone on her level in that regard. I'm having flashbacks to Ron and Hermione here.

So Simone called off her wedding because Grace was officiating. What kind of reason is that?

Lady Mae is all in Charity's Kool-Aid and don't know the flavor! I'm 100% on Charity's side. If I were married and I found out my husband was gay and had kept it from me, I'd be livid. I get it that Kevin is struggling with it. I think he should be true to himself, but since he's refusing to do that, he shouldn't have gotten married and brought someone else into his struggle. That's so grossly unfair to his wife.

Lynn Whitfield is so excellent at playing a snobby bitch. I'd hate Lady Mae more if I weren't enjoying her performance so much.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, Neurochick said:

What strip club did Basie meet his wife in?  Probably a low class one.  I think Basie is in bed with the mob or something.

LOL Basie played short stop, cause he's teeny weeny!

I want Lady Mae to squash Basie like the cockroach he is.

And that Simone person, damn what a witch.

And Jacob is an asshole and a half.  He's so jealous of Grace he doesn't know what to do.  If he had any brains, he'd stage a coup, get rid of Basie and run Triumph.

Related question: Why is Basie characterized so BLATANTLY slimy? He and Tasha are almost like Boris and Natasha-straight up cartoon villains.

Wait- Basie and Tasha; Boris and Natasha- I think I'm onto something, lol!

Seriously though, there's nothing subtle about either of those two. At least most of the other characters have some shades of gray (some more than others, but still...)

• Love 9

Last night was the first time Grace genuinely moved me. Between Darius abruptly breaking up with her and James scolding her about not supporting Sophia, Merle nailed Grace's crisis of conscious.

Speaking of Sophia, I'm glad Greenleaf cast Isaiah with a lightskinned actor and had a darker skinned actor to play Sophia's boyfriend to avoid piling on that particular storyline's already existing colorism issues.

Deborah Joy Winans and Tye White are also doing stellar work. Nobody could accuse Tye of being Morgan Freeman, but he's improved a thousand fold from last year. And more airtime and a gorgeous new makeover has done wonders for DJW. She practically sparkles in all of her scenes.

Pastor Jidenna remains slimy. Incredibly sexy. But still very slimy.

Kerissa is gonna kill Jacob when she finds out what he's doing behind her back.

All that said, Keith David & Lynn Whitfield are walking away with this show.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

Gambling for the Lord. Okay then. Hope we're not going to find out Tasha is prostituting for the Lord.

So, are we supposed to infer that the new lawyer character is gay?

Yeah, the vibe was there in the previous episode too. One would assume he's deep in the closet too since Lady Mae apparently doesn't know.

And right in their house too. What if the poker party gets raided? Pastor Jidenna is a snake to be encouraging Jacob to lie to Kerissa. At some point Jacob's probably going to have to make a choice between his wife and his bad influence boss.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

And right in their house too. What if the poker party gets raided? Pastor Jidenna is a snake to be encouraging Jacob to lie to Kerissa. At some point Jacob's probably going to have to make a choice between his wife and his bad influence boss.

Given Jacob's maturity level throughout this season, his reconciliation with Kerissa last year is looking less like falling in love all over again and more like creepy schoolyard jealousy that someone else wanted to play with his "toys."

However, I also don't sympathize with Kerissa all that much. She knew exactly who Jacob was when she married him, and has spent her marriage trying to change her husband, in her ambitious quest for power; but if the last year should've taught her anything, it's that one can't fix someone who refuses to acknowledge that they're broken.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Dee said:

My favorite part of this is that he thinks he can actually hide it from her, as though he's forgotten that she's smarter than him. And, uh, who just drops a $100 bill and forgets about it? I wish I had it like that...

• Love 9

Lady Mae grates on my nerves so much. I need her to be on the receiving end of an epic cuss-out (not the one Mavis gave her last season; that was way too mild).

Pastor Jidenna remains slimy. Incredibly sexy. But still very slimy.

I can't help it - I love watching him. And I love that he makes Lady Mae and Bishop James' heads explode.

Gambling for the Lord. Okay then.

Baisie's rationalization made me laugh so hard. It's so going to backfire on him.

• Love 4

Jacob is an ass.  As soon as Skanky told Jacob what he was doing, Jacob should have said, "fuck this shit, this dude's a criminal!"  Why?  Because Skanky is going to put this on Jacob, he wants to get back at the Bishop and he'll do it through Jacob.  

Skanky probably will wind up arrested, or killed when one of the men he plays with realizes that he's cheating.

• Love 4
On 4/8/2017 at 11:51 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I think Lady Mae probably had sex with the visiting pastor. People may feel guilty by emotional affairs but they aren't usually so jumpy unless they crossed the line. 

I think one day he and Charity can be good friends but he did lie to her and you can only "pretend" for so long. He needs to figure out for himself if he can be fulfilled being in a monogamous relationship with a woman, (or anyone) without tying charity down. 

See, I wonder if Kevin was actually destined to be gay altogether and his mother did indeed step in and worked feverishly to steer her son in the direction of women? This would've robbed Kevin of his true feelings preventing Kevin from exploring those feelings. I think this probably actually happens a lot in real life. Young gay people being pressured, even browbeaten by family members into being with members of the opposite sex. Throw religion into it and it's extra tough. Kevin may have married Charity and made babies with her, but it can't be overlooked that his urgings for men are so strong (especially in season 1), that he'd be staring at men on his phone while Charity was actually lying in his lap. 

• Love 1

Vengeance may be the Lord's but justice is not.  If the Lord can't put Mac in jail, if He lets one more girl get raped, then He's not much worth worshipping, is He?

On 4/6/2017 at 8:18 AM, TVForever said:

I like both the teens, Sophia and Zora. But it feels like a weird " good girl, bad girl" dynamic is being set up. I'm not sure I like it, for reasons I'm reluctant to admit. I'll keep watching and hoping I'm wrong.

If you mean "the lighter girl is good and the darker girl is bad", I feel you.  All part of the Wonderful World of Colorism.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:46 AM, mrsbagnet said:

So Simone called off her wedding because Grace was officiating. What kind of reason is that?

That was the third reason she gave (after the problems with the schools, and Leonard "not being sincere".  If she really didn't want Grace, she could have said so earlier.  I think she just doesn't want to get married and will use any excuse.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Pastor Jidenna

I don't get this reference (other than Mr Mobisson looks a bit like Mr Dirden).

=================================================

ETA: Charity, you don't out anyone without their permission.  Ever.  Even to your mom.  Just say that the problem is between you and Kevin, and you can't say more.

Kirissa, your daughter has to beg and plead (and bring your husband in) to go to a chaperoned birthday party, but you let her drive off with three other teens and no adults?  Out of character for her!

Edited by jhlipton
ETA
  • Love 1