Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Thanks to you all wishing it upon me, I saw stupid Hannah and her stupid horse umpteen times yesterday. I'd never seen them before I read about them here. I will get you all back. You won't know when, how or where, but I will bring hell down on this thread the likes of which no Sears dishwasher-door-jumper has ever seen.

Me too.  It seemed that yesterday all every single network was running was that stupid commercial.  What's the point of it anyway?  A cute girl in a bikini and her horse.  I bet someone got paid a million dollars for coming up with that idea.

• Love 3

It seemed that yesterday all every single network was running was that stupid commercial.  What's the point of it anyway?  A cute girl in a bikini and her horse.

At least they dialed things back a bit and have her standing again. The cleavage-y one where she's lying prone on the beach facing the camera came off as a bit desperate for attention.

• Love 3

The cleavage-y one where she's lying prone on the beach facing the camera came off as a bit desperate for attention.

I find if you mute the volume, that's not a bad commercial...

• Love 4

a fairly entertaining thread on Jalopnik about Liberty Mutual's ads:

http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/liberty-mutuals-commercials-have-reached-peak-stupid-1713494801

The guy who wrote that is obviously one of us. And the comments are golden.

At least they dialed things back a bit and have her standing again. The cleavage-y one where she's lying prone on the beach facing the camera came off as a bit desperate for attention.

But the dirty knees comment squicks me out. I don't even want to go there with the visions that conjurs up.

• Love 3

Smoking Amanda also irritates me with her advice to talk into the opening so your baby can hear you. Really? That's your advice? How about NOT FUCKING SMOKING WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT, dipshit.

• Love 9

Smoking Amanda also irritates me with her advice to talk into the opening so your baby can hear you. Really? That's your advice? How about NOT FUCKING SMOKING WHEN YOU'RE PREGNANT, dipshit.

Yeah, I hate that douche.

• Love 3

This commercial has so much wrong with it. A bunch of unfeeling assholes gather to watch a car being crushed leaving abruptly because they have meetings. Then they get in the new car and gush about it (watch out new car, your time will come with this creep as your owner) and the worst part is the song, "Wrecking Ball", by that twerking skank, Miley Cyrus.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Ped/2015-nissan-sentra-wake-song-by-miley-cyrus

I came here to say the same thing. Like most car companies, Nissan thinks they've struck gold with this ad and that we'll all love seeing it 5 times a night. Well, maybe we would if the characters in the ad didn't come across like the worst, douchiest variety of white-collar millennial.

• Love 4
(edited)

Nissan really has some clunkers on their hands.  I still see the imaginary bull ad running.  Now we have trees that turn into mad angry ents and motorcycle drivers who turn into animals who will eat you.  Never fear. Nissan will protect you! ..... from things that don't exist.  Yeah makes me want to buy one.

What is up with those vodka ads?  The ones that have what I assume are vampires and werewolves touting them.  Okay I get on one hand they are hoping to tap into (though it is a pretty worn one by now) market of fans who drink vodka and love urban fantasy tropes.  But again, do more people find products appealing based on the fantasy than the actual benefit I can enjoy.  Since I'm not a werewolf and I don't want to be one and in fact don't believe they exist, what's that leave me in terms of your vodka?  Do they even have a selling point vis-a-vis benefits (taste calories etc) in the ad?  All I see are two failed romance cover models trying to be sexy.  Werewolf sexy.

Oh and whichever car ad has the commericial with the three old ladies and the confusion of year end to rear end?  Next time get a fitness model with a real ass instead of some lanky overly self aware hipster bearded model whose ass in those jeans looks like a dented pancake.  When a man with a hot ass bends over it shouldn't disappear.  Developed glutes curve.  They don't fold in like a bad origami crane.

Edited by heebiejeebie
  • Love 8

Nissan really has some clunkers on their hands.  I still see the imaginary bull ad running.  Now we have trees that turn into mad angry ents and motorcycle drivers who turn into animals who will eat you.  

If that's the one I'm thinking of - kid in the backseat with an overactive and paranoid imagination? - it's really old too.

• Love 2

If that's the one I'm thinking of - kid in the backseat with an overactive and paranoid imagination? - it's really old too.

That one and now I see a newer one with an adult woman doing the mental over active handwringing.  Nissan likes to hold on to their ads and get their money's worth.  The bull ad just came back and the one with the kid has played pretty much non stop for months now that I have noticed.

Oh and hate the Land Rover one.  Get married at the fucking lodge in front of the fire for godsakes.  Don't be such a self-absorbed asshole and drag them up to a not that nice anyway soaking mess of a "view". 

• Love 3

I thought this commercial was gone, but apparently it's back. It makes me nauseous.

I SOOOOOOO AGREEE!!!! Could they get any two more UGLY looking actors with annoying voices to boot????

LMAO on all the Amanda comments!!!

Two frequent fliers are making me scream this week!!! The chocolate commercial with that STUPID song "Baby I'm Worth it"  and then the Jordin Sparks migraine meds where she awkwardly says, "You'll do AAANNNYYthing to get rid of it" So annoying. (beside listing her as a Singer and Actress) NOT.

Lastly? Beer. Cheese. BEER CHEESE! And more beer cheese to dip you beer cheese Double Hog Dare Ya into! yeaaaaa! I HATE YOU APPLEBEES

• Love 4

Lastly? Beer. Cheese. BEER CHEESE! And more beer cheese to dip you beer cheese Double Hog Dare Ya into! yeaaaaa! I HATE YOU APPLEBEES

I spend every Sunday afternoon lately visiting my great aunt and watching baseball and that ad is on constantly.  I hate it for two reasons.  My aunt reponds to it with "gas. fart. more gas, fart" etc.  Which makes me laugh.  But she also does it every single time.  So I'm getting tired of laughing.

I do wonder at the vast untapped market of hipster wannabes Applebies is hoping to tap into.  Are there any Applebies where carefully diverse. pretty but not pretty enough to be threatening, hipster types while away their evening hours nibbling and drinking and having SO MUCH FUN?  Like it is the acohol and sodium laden snack friendly modern day Central Perk?  Do they think people who are lonely will think they can order a side of skinny good looking young friends with interesting lives to go with their treacle glazed spicy shrimp?  'Yeah I'll have the Asian tacos, a Sapporo on tap, two of those women over there...do you have any with a slightly off set hair cut?  You do.  Great.  And um, I guess a bearded guy with a douchebag hat he wears indoors and at least two others, each a different ethnicity but also different from mine?  I think that is it, oh and can we have some bar nuts while we wait?"

And as much as I loathe how cool they think using the shortened "apps" for appetizers?  Calling a fucking sandwich a "hand held" makes me ragey.  Like when the local news crew comes around and asks the neighbors if they had any idea they could say "he seemed so normal...well until those Applebie Hand held ads came on"  then he kept talking about how he had something he could hold in his hand alright".

• Love 15

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

I'll leave you with THIS disgusting gem:

"Hot Dog. Pizza. Hot Dog. Pizza. Hot Dog Pizza....Dunnunumdinum!!!!!"  The HoDog Pizza thing is the whitest trash fast food item since KFC's Chicken Bowls.

Just sayin".

• Love 4

Yeah I'm not understanding that one either.  "Hmm not a fan of their pizza, wait they added small over processed hot dogs and a dipping sauce, fuck that I'm in"  I have never once been in the mood for delivery/take out pizza and halfway through my first slice got a jonesing for some Oscar Meyer.  At some point I think Fast Food ads should have to have an accompanying PSA:

In light of the legalization of marijuana in some states and the general easement of judicial retribution in others, we would like you to consider this following ad.  For those of you without a drug enhanced palate, feel free to change to the channel"

I remember I had just changed jobs when the KFC bowls came out the first time.  This snot nosed kid really sitting around with a bunch of people I thought were intimidating and where I wanted to be at, at the risk of being an elistist sno, they had the cars and the apartments and the wages I wanted and hoped for.  In days of leniency and cutbacks they had three martini luncheon expense accounts and bespoke suits and when it came time to pick a place fo lunch imagine my surprise when they all were talking up the new KFC bowl.  Until the one assistant, probably in her fifties, probably could have done all our jobs at the same time and have time to do her own work, probably unfairly passed over for these arrogant bullshitters.  Snorts and utters "scraps"  its nothing but scraps.  Like right before they pushed all the leftovers into a bowl and set on the floor for Fido they thought "could I actually sell that?"  thank god for Emmy because we never went to KFC for lunch.  Ever. 

And my parents probably were too young to remember much of the time,  And it was before me no doubt, but did I watch too much Mad Men when the first of the Darrell Hammond KFC ads come out or did/does anyone else get a kind of Southern Discomfort vibe from the ones with the nostalgia tinting?  I keep waiting for flashes of dogs attacking peaceful civil rights protestors and the Klan in full garb.  Maybe we need to add a thread entitled Unintended Consequences : Not Where You intended me to go.

And this is not getting any work done, though the offices are all empty (apparently everyone decided to hit the weekend early and forgot to tell me) and my alternative is watching planes land in the distance, but exactly what are they going with there in regards to Hammond?  It doesn't seem nostalgic so much a jeering.  But how is that going to evoke Colonel laden memories of finger lickin good?  Our Icon's a big fat joke, come eat here anyway.

• Love 6

I spend every Sunday afternoon lately visiting my great aunt and watching baseball and that ad is on constantly.  I hate it for two reasons.  My aunt reponds to it with "gas. fart. more gas, fart" etc.  Which makes me laugh.  But she also does it every single time.  So I'm getting tired of laughing.

Terrific, now I'm going to be hearing that every time I see that ad.

• Love 2

That's a funny commercial, but:  She was was in the middle of using it (as in, it was on) when she unplugged it and brought it outside.  I would guess that most people wouldn't dump the old lamp until they got the new one set up.  Secondly, it was a perfectly good lamp; couldn't she have donated it somewhere?  Or is that why she didn't put it in a bag, because she was expecting someone to take it?

• Love 2

That Sprint ad did get my attention. If what they were saying was true ($80/month, truly unlimited high speed data, includes the phone, etc) it would have been a fantastic deal. Sadly, when I researched it, the phone you are getting is actually leased and you have to return it after the two years are up. If you cancel you still have to pay the remainder of the lease AND return the phone. Anyone who would take that deal has probably been hit in the head with too many soccer balls.

• Love 5

Hannah in the Hannah and her horse ads is Hannah Davis, Sports Illustrated cover girl and the most recent girlfriend of Derek Jeter.

Hmm. Wonder if old Derek and/or Hannah have dirty knees.... Just musing out loud here.

• Love 4

That Sprint ad did get my attention. If what they were saying was true ($80/month, truly unlimited high speed data, includes the phone, etc) it would have been a fantastic deal. Sadly, when I researched it, the phone you are getting is actually leased and you have to return it after the two years are up. If you cancel you still have to pay the remainder of the lease AND return the phone. Anyone who would take that deal has probably been hit in the head with too many soccer balls.

And sprint service sucks balls.

• Love 4
(edited)

Same here. It seems that they show a Direct TV ad with Hannah and her Horse during each commercial break for the Tour de France. I can't stand the voice used for the horse.

And yet, I will take Hannah and her horse over that stupid Neil Patrick Harris Heineken ad they keep showing. At least they alternate between two Direct TV commercials. Heineken just has that one commercial that plays, I swear, during every Tour break. I feel like sometimes I even see it played twice during the same commercial break. OK, give me dirty knees any time.

Gah!! It's on now!

ETA: Point proven. I have now seen this commercial three times in the last seven minutes.

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't like the Go-Daddy commercial where the red-headed woman excitedly says "I finally made a sale to someone who wasn't a relative." and then goes into some weird bone jarring dance.  I really hate that commercial.  But isn't that the point?  If it annoys you, you notice it.

Yuck, I've been seeing this too often lately - OK, once is too often. All these redheads air-thrusting like mad: I'm surprised they don't send their one customer out of the store, screaming in terror that he's about to be assaulted by these crazy people. 

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2

Does it seem like the repetition ad nauseum of certain commercials occur mostly on NBC?  Our local NBC affiliate runs the same shit every day, sometimes 2 of the same ones at a time!  Ford is the perfect example, they have the WORST background music/jangle/noise.  I am seriously cutting back NBC.  They can go FOAD.

• Love 2

And as much as I loathe how cool they think using the shortened "apps" for appetizers?  Calling a fucking sandwich a "hand held" makes me ragey.

I don't disagree their ads are annoying. I have no skin in the game or any remote desire to defend Applebees of all places; and I also oppose the use of "handhelds" with a fiery passion, but calling appetizers "apps" has been standard practice in the restaurant industry since well before that abbreviation was used in other more common contexts. They're not trying to be cute or new in doing that. That's what restaurant people call them. For probably at least 30 years.
  • Love 3
(edited)

I don't disagree their ads are annoying. I have no skin in the game or any remote desire to defend Applebees of all places; and I also oppose the use of "handhelds" with a fiery passion, but calling appetizers "apps" has been standard practice in the restaurant industry since well before that abbreviation was used in other more common contexts. They're not trying to be cute or new in doing that. That's what restaurant people call them. For probably at least 30 years.

But that terminology hasn't been used when restaurants have been presenting information to the public.  (Edit:  Melton's App & Tap aside, apparently.)  I've never seen "app" written on a menu, for example.  In general, there's a lot of terminology that workers use among themselves that they don't use when interacting with customers. So I think that both sides are "right": In an effort to be cute or capitalize on "app" being a common word now, they're using in their advertising wording that existed but wouldn't ordinarily be used in this context.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 9

Yuck, I've been seeing this too often lately - OK, once is too often. All these redheads air-thrusting like mad: I'm surprised they don't send their one customer out of the store, screaming in terror that he's about to be assaulted by these crazy people. 

Yeah, why couldn't they have had them silently raise fists or shake index fingers to show appreciation ?  Too bad the ' customer' didn't tell them " Just FORGET it. I'm outta here. Get a room!'  while walking away and shaking his head in disgust.

• Love 5

I'm pretty sure it has been well used in modern advertising by the likes of Fridays and Chilijs well before follower of dying out trends Applebies started using it.  But no offense I was not quibbling about the provenance.  Something hardly has to be new to irk the heck of me.  Nazis still make me mad.  So do any Romans still wanting to rape any Sabine women that might still be around.   It simply was part of the discussion about Applebies ads that annoy me.  In fact it could be in translated cunieform from the ambassador to the Egyptian court relating the cocktails and nibblers hour at Nefertiti's palace when she was trying to figure out just how crazy her old hubby Akhnaton was turning out to be. and I would still harbor resentment every single freaking time that announcer on the ad seems to relish how cool and aspirationally hip they are for using it.

And maybe it was the extra glass of wine last night and getting home in time to see the old episode of Friends but I finally figured out the annoyance behind the Panera ad about Lettuce should be dirty.  They completely steal it and then leave out how tomatoes should be bad.  Very bad.  And then julienned.

• Love 8

Yeah, why couldn't they have had them silently raise fists or shake index fingers to show appreciation ?  Too bad the ' customer' didn't tell them " Just FORGET it. I'm outta here. Get a room!'  while walking away and shaking his head in disgust.

Because it's GoDaddy. Being offensive is their schtick.

• Love 3

There's a whole series of these where someone sells an item for a low price, the buyers spruce it up with a coat of spray paint, and then turn around and sell it for much more.  Which would be okay, if they weren't selling it back to the original owner.  He comes off like an idiot for not recognizing his former possession, and they come off like jackasses who are pulling one over on someone that slow.

• Love 7

He comes off like an idiot for not recognizing his former possession, and they come off like jackasses who are pulling one over on someone that slow.

Yeah, I'd like those ads fine, if it wasn't for that.

• Love 3

There's a whole series of these where someone sells an item for a low price, the buyers spruce it up with a coat of spray paint, and then turn around and sell it for much more.  Which would be okay, if they weren't selling it back to the original owner.  He comes off like an idiot for not recognizing his former possession, and they come off like jackasses who are pulling one over on someone that slow.

It also doesn't help that he negotiates the price down, too.  He knows what he's going to do, but he still won't give the guy the extra $5.

• Love 3

Current least favorite commercial that I don't think has been mentioned (sorry, if it has):  Two women jogging, in their cute jogging oufits....and army helmets. They bump into each other on the running path and OMG they both have insurance from The General!!!  They talk! They laugh! They compare!  All while wearing army helmets while jogging! 

Just no.

• Love 4

Current least favorite commercial that I don't think has been mentioned (sorry, if it has):  Two women jogging, in their cute jogging oufits....and army helmets. They bump into each other on the running path and OMG they both have insurance from The General!!!  They talk! They laugh! They compare!  All while wearing army helmets while jogging! 

Just no.

There's another one where this young guy comes to a meeting wearing a helmet and the boss asks to see the young guy in the office and it turns out he gave the young guy a promotion based on his having insurance from the General.

• Love 2

I don't get it. Why would the guy having a yard sale want to buy more stuff?

Not to go too far off topic, but I wonder what effect the upcycling trend has on hoarders.  It's hard enough to convince those people to get rid of their hoards, but the Krylon commercials and shows like Flea Market Flip inflate hoarders' perception of the value of their junk.

• Love 6