Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Oops. I thought I WAS in Small Talk. Sorry.

Back on topic:  Has anyone else seen Domino's ads where they've brought back The Noid? Or have I been dreaming?  I remember the first time, mid-70s, and some guy whose name was Noid got paranoid that Domino's was demonizing him and he went to a Domino's in a strip mall in NE Atlanta and took some hostages. My BFF was working right upstairs in the Days Inn reservation center. She said it was kind of scary with all the cop cars/SWAT teams.  I guess they thought enough time had passed and it was safe to Avoid The Noid again. Sheesh.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

How come you can't be sock footed? That seems weird.

Diabetes. Too easy to injure toe & not feel it when the peripheral neuropathy kicks in.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

I saw a Domino's commercial last night introducing the Nuro, a driverless pizza delivery car.  Apparently the Noid is the back (although I never saw it to begin with).

Noid vs. Nuro - Domino's

Video is below the still shot.

Edited by CrystalBlue

11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I actually will agree with you on that point.  I know Spike advocates for communities of color but I personally wish it didn't have to be that way and that we could see this as a human issue for lower income areas regardless of their ethnic makeup.  I had to make vaccine appointments for a poor white family that doesn't have internet access and couldn't manage dealing with the telephone hotlines, and they didn't happen to live in a zip code where vaccine access was prioritized based on ethnic population in my state.  Plus I bought one friend's daughter a laptop because they don't live in a school district where students are given free laptops.  So I hear you.

I just saw what I think is the ad everyone’s talking about, and I didn’t think he was elevating skin color above all other barriers, just that it was one of many. 

I decided a few days ago that for the next little while, I would donate to all the causes that come up on tv, websites, etc. that sound worthy, and I think this Uber donate-a-ride might meet the bar. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I saw a Domino's commercial last night introducing the Nuro, a driverless pizza delivery car.  Apparently the Noid is the back (although I never saw it to begin with).

Noid vs. Nuro - Domino's

Video is below the still shot.

The Noid Domino's (anti-?) mascot was big in the mid to late '80s. So it was kind of cool to see it back. But it's best in small doses.

• Like 2

I posted a couple of days ago about the 'Pandemica' ads, and just wanted to add that I saw a fourth version last night. This time the animal-ish critters are lined up and clearly looking forward to getting their vaccinations; they see a plane fly overhead (I think it's marked 'Vaccinations' or something) and start cheering. But the plane flies past and instead drops the vaccine shots into an EVIL CRUISE SHIP.

So I guess the characters on the cruise ship don't deserve to be vaccinated? Or maybe they should go without until all the 'poor' have gotten theirs? 

I despise these ads for setting up social conflict. Don't try to make 'them' hate 'us'- Just tell me that you need donations to get the vaccines distributed.

On 4/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, ForumLou said:

Hahahaha that would.be.Hysterical!  I love her too.  They better watch out Sign Spinner Guy, and Condos for Sale Guy 150k.  Didnt i see something thing the other day with water added?  Might be their new ad. ........if not Mara, then another selling cell phones.  Hopefully Mara though, she would be hysterical on a phone and trying to sell phones.

That 150K thing always gets me! That area where the commercial is made does not likely have condos for that cheap (I did not officially confirm, mind you, so maybe I am full of malarkey), but that strip mall is in Morris County, NJ. That said, being from that area (and immediately recognizing that store), I am completely baffled by this—why on earth would this commercial be made in that particular spot? That made me laugh!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

That 150K thing always gets me! That area where the commercial is made does not likely have condos for that cheap (I did not officially confirm, mind you, so maybe I am full of malarkey), but that strip mall is in Morris County, NJ. That said, being from that area (and immediately recognizing that store), I am completely baffled by this—why on earth would this commercial be made in that particular spot? That made me laugh!

Naah, try more like at the very least $200,00 - $600,000.  That commercial makes me nostalgic for rides up Rt. 46 back in the day.  I recognized that store too!  I miss New Jersey for the shopping and some great old fashioned diners.  I have an old friend that lives near there in Clifton, but we're only in touch on social media anymore.

I agree, it's so random that they would do a commercial there.  I have seen a couple of different versions of it, too.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

but that strip mall is in Morris County, NJ.

what town is it? I spent my formative teen years in Morris County. I worked at the Korvettes at the Willowbrook Mall, and my best friend worked at the Sears at the Rockaway Mall (which I hear is now a mass vaccination site LOL). And yeah, 150k for a condo in Morris County? That's a laugh.

It’s in Parsippany, on 46 West, not far from where you’d get onto 287 (I think?). There are so many strip malls around there that I get mixed up!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

There's an ad where a guy is driving a Chrysler.  They focus in on the hood ornament, an ugly stylised  woman, which starts gyrating to the music.  I find it disturbing and creepy.

(I just saw it again and made myself watch.  I'd forgotten that it lip-synchs to the music, which makes it even worse!)

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 7

On 4/29/2021 at 12:28 PM, sempervivum said:

Is anyone else disturbed by the ads called 'Pandemica'? So far, I've seen 3. They're animated, with characters that are (I assume) supposed to be 'whimsical', but that look creepy to me.

The point of the ads apparently is that we should support getting Covid vaccines to underdeveloped countries, but they seem to be implying that those of us in developed nations are somehow piggish thugs who are 'hogging' the vaccines. The most recent ones show partying groups of critters who push past other critters standing quietly in line waiting for their shots, thus using up all the vaccine. 

Obviously, any decent person wants everyone to have access to the vaccines, however, we still have LOTS of our own citizens who haven't received theirs yet. Johnson & Johnson as well as Pfizer are both providing their vaccines at not for profit (J&J) or cost (Pfizer) to underdeveloped countries. If ONE (Bono's organization which sponsors these ads) wants help fund that, I'd prefer they just ask for money rather than try to make me feel like a bad person for being fortunate enough to live in the US. JMO.

I'm carrying the vaccine conversation to Small Talk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Leeds said:

There's an ad where a guy is driving a Chrysler.  They focus in on the hood ornament, an ugly stylised  woman, which starts gyrating to the music.  I find it disturbing and creepy.

(I just saw it again and made myself watch.  I'd forgotten that it lip-synchs to the music, which makes it even worse!)

I hate it too.  It's an Allstate commercial.

• Like 4

On 4/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, TattleTeeny said:

No one loves a treadmill? I had to get rid of my old one to use the space for a desk. I missed it so I bought a newer, smaller one that can be stashed under a bed or standing up on its end in a closet--or in my case the laundry "room" in the hall (pretty much just a larger closet with a washer/dryer in it). It's a pain taking it out and putting it back every day, and having it kind of hog up a small section of the hallway, but I love taking periodic 10-minute breaks to get up and walk a mile! Plus, yikes--I apparently need something to remind or impel me to take a break when I work from home. It's weird.

I love my treadmill, and try to get a 30 minute walk in every day. That said, when the grandkids are here, we take the safety plug out of it, so it won't run. I know adults who've been hurt on them because they weren't using that safety cord, my husband for one. Letting kids mess around on them unsupervised is a bad and dangerous idea.

• Like 7

On 4/23/2021 at 5:25 PM, dleighg said:

ad for Otezla. Young man going to front door with GF, obviously to meet the parents for the first time. Mom greets young man with a hug (a bit over-familiar in my world, but whatever) but what drives me NUTs is that she gives her daughter (over the young man's shoulder) this raised eyebrow look like "Ooo, he's NICE-looking." Totally inappropriate in my opinion. He hasn't said a word yet, so it's clearly just his looks.

Then he gets conscripted into rolling out pasta in one of those manual machines, and apparently the simple act of turning a crank proves he's a CATCH! Mom hugs him (AGAIN) and Dad makes some kind of "You're great!" motion with his hand.

Yuk, and Yuk. Maybe we're just a non-effusive family LOL. 

This commercial has been on quite a few times over the past few days.  That commercial is too weird.  No family is that happy, not a chance in a million years they are that happy.  That is, unless they are glad that someone was finally willing to go out with their daughter.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I can't stand the Blue Bunny Icecream commercial with the smug family and the mother playing a one-man band.  In general I don't like the blue bunny itself.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I can't stand the Blue Bunny Icecream commercial with the smug family and the mother playing a one-man band.  In general I don't like the blue bunny itself.

Speaking of smug families and I guess it's more about the use of the non word "wowzers" that the Keebler elf uses to in his admiration of a family because they're being nice to each other.

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

So I guess you would be giving the blue bunny the cold shoulder.

• Laugh 14

1 minute ago, icemiser69 said:

So I guess you would be giving the blue bunny the cold shoulder.

Yes indeedy, whereas my cold cold heart will continue to belong to Ben and Jerry.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

Yes indeedy, whereas my cold cold heart will continue to belong to Ben and Jerry.

Mine belongs to Haagen Dazs!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, susannah said:

I like Haagen Dazs but I'm still mad at them shrinking what used to be pints :-) 

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Leeds said:

1 hour ago, susannah said:

32 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I like Haagen Dazs but I'm still mad at them shrinking what used to be pints :-) 

I like all three. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of smug families and I guess it's more about the use of the non word "wowzers" that the Keebler elf uses to in his admiration of a family because they're being nice to each other.

I think it's creepy that the Keebler elf is using binoculars to spy on them in their house. 

• Like 2
  • Surprise 5

13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Tell that to Inspector Gadget! Does a cartoon using a term more than three decades ago possibly cause it to seep into the public's vernacular and no longer be a 'non word' or did it not catch on enough for it have overcome the 'non word' status'? Perhaps one could argue that since the Keebler elf himself is a cartoon character, he can use another cartoon character's terms even if actual human usage is, at best, unconfirmed. 

Regardless, I agree with the above poster that I wouldn't want the Keebler elf to spy on me in my house using binoculars! 

• Like 6

I will take anything Inspector Gadget (Don Adams) has to say over anything that comes flying out of Rachael Ray's and/or Guy's pie holes.

Whenever I see commercials for Guy's stupid show, I want to rename the damn thing, Douchebags, Dipshits, and Dorkwads.

So now it looks like they have updated Guy's other King's Hawaiian commercial.  Not a fan, it makes him look like a glutton.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

15 hours ago, Leeds said:

Huh, and I like this one!  And they have really good chocolate mini swirls.  Yum

• Like 1

18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I will take anything Inspector Gadget (Don Adams) has to say over anything that comes flying out of Rachael Ray's and/or Guy's pie holes.

Whenever I see commercials for Guy's stupid show, I want to rename the damn thing, Douchebags, Dipshits, and Dorkwads.

So now it looks like they have updated Guy's other King's Hawaiian commercial.  Not a fan, it makes him look like a glutton.

Mr. Fieri IS a glutton . However,  I'm relieved that he didn't wind up  eating the other dude's sandwich and/or having an extreme close up of his mouth while stuffing it with grub! 

Still, the fact that he's in the commercial at all is an automatic fail (and that the dude didn't throw him out of his kitchen and house after he tresspassed crashed), IMO. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Leeds said:

But there IS an upside - you can eat an entire container and not feel guilty that you've eaten a whole pint of ice cream.  Once I get started on the Pralines & Cream, I can't stop.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 3

17 hours ago, Leeds said:

I don't mind the commercials, but the stuff itself is horrid.

I've said this before but it's worth repeating--I CAN NOT stand that stupid lizard from the Geico commercials.  I don't care how you came up with the 15 minutes/15% slogan.  I wish someone would run him over with the car *evil laugh*

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

5 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

I don't care how you came up with the 15 minutes/15% slogan.

"I think we're gonna switch over to 'Over 75 years of savings and service."

"But what am I supposed to do with these?"

"Keep them in your desk for... i don't know."

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

32 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

I CAN NOT stand that stupid lizard from the Geico commercials.  I don't care how you came up with the 15 minutes/15% slogan.

But it was serendipitous.  How can you not care??????

• Laugh 7

I used to hate the Geico lizard but it finally wore me down.  I switched from State Farm to Geico a couple years ago.  The lizard won!

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Did you save 15% in  minutes?  What if you stretch is out to 20 minutes - would you save 20%?

• Laugh 10

49 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Did you save 15% in  minutes?  What if you stretch is out to 20 minutes - would you save 20%?

No, but Jake from State Farm would probably do a strip tease to try and entice me back to them.  😍

• Like 5
  • Laugh 7

1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

No, but Jake from State Farm would probably do a strip tease to try and entice me back to them.  😍

"She sounds hideous."

"Well, she's a guy, so....."

XD

• Like 1
  • Laugh 16

10 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

"I think we're gonna switch over to 'Over 75 years of savings and service."

"But what am I supposed to do with these?"

"Keep them in your desk for... i don't know."

I like that one because it sounds so much like work. My dad and I always end up talking about different tasks we had to do at work that just the moment we got finished someone comes up and says it wasn't necessary or the boss changed his/her mind. 

• Like 4

Another one I don't like is the one for dishwasher soap, in which a bunch of people say, "we do it every night." I don't think it's funny, if it's trying to be.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, susannah said:

Another one I don't like is the one for dishwasher soap, in which a bunch of people say, "we do it every night." I don't think it's funny, if it's trying to be.

Just as I read this, the commercial with the old couple came on, "We do it every night!"  I have found that as I've gotten older, I find sexual innuendo less amusing. I wonder why that is.

• Like 14

32 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Just as I read this, the commercial with the old couple came on, "We do it every night!"  I have found that as I've gotten older, I find sexual innuendo less amusing. I wonder why that is.

Who wants to be stuck in a junior high school mode one's entire life and/or be stuck around those who are? Besides, if one is going to have innuendo, it's best to have some nuance and actual humor but few since Mae West have had her panache.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

53 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Because it's not funny. I think the vibe of the ad is creepy, actually.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, susannah said:

Because it's not funny. I think the vibe of the ad is creepy, actually.

As is the one with Joshie thinking Pop-pop and Grandma had sex in the closet because their clothes were wrinkled. What kid’s mind goes there, thinking about the GPs having sex?

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

As is the one with Joshie thinking Pop-pop and Grandma had sex in the closet because their clothes were wrinkled. What kid’s mind goes there, thinking about the GPs having sex?

I think that one's kind of funny because the first time he catches them they're just putting something away or whatever, but their clothes are wrinkled, so sex.  But, the second time he catches them and they actually were having sex the thought never enters his mind because no wrinkles.  I don't know why. I realize it's stupid.  But, clearly based on the ending, he did have good reason to have suspicions. Who knows what he's walked in on before?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 6

On 5/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, Blergh said:

Mr. Fieri IS a glutton . However,  I'm relieved that he didn't wind up  eating the other dude's sandwich and/or having an extreme close up of his mouth while stuffing it with grub! 

Still, the fact that he's in the commercial at all is an automatic fail (and that the dude didn't throw him out of his kitchen and house after he tresspassed crashed), IMO. 

The sandwich dude must be a fan.  He even knows how to correctly pronounce Fieri with the "r" sounds like a "t" sound!

On 5/3/2021 at 12:27 PM, AnnA said:

I hate it too.  It's an Allstate commercial.

I mentioned before that the ornament, especially from the side, reminds me of the gremlin on the plane wing that John Lithgow sees in The Twilight Zone movie!

zone.jpg

• Like 10
  • Laugh 5

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Brace yourselves for another onslaught on Peloton commercials. 

Yeah, in the form of a "Did you buy a Peloton and find yourself in traction?" or "Did you partner a Peloton and psychological shame you into riding it?" lawyer-type commercial.  

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Heard it before I saw it and then didn't catch what particular company it was for because I was frantically reaching for the remote so I could mute the rest of it. People YELLING at full volume to Dad about how the printer cartridge has just run out of ink!

And then just saw another one for the first time where someone's brought his new girlfriend home and they're serving his grandmother's famous mac and cheese. Apparently, the girl regularly carries around a huge container of new Hidden Valley Ranch sprinkles in her purse to put on whatever food she thinks need seasoning.

• Surprise 2

1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

I mentioned before that the ornament, especially from the side, reminds me of the gremlin on the plane wing that John Lithgow sees in The Twilight Zone movie!

zone.jpg

I was thinking more of the Banshee in the super-creepy episode of So Weird.

image.png.27f95cc7a637797ef6ac6e903ced45bb.png

Edited by eel21788
  • Like 2

How about the commercial with the woman carrying a big wet dog?  She says “he’s done walking for the day” and the dog promptly shakes his coat all over the folks standing nearby.  It just makes me scratch my head and go “huh?”  I can’t connect the dots on this at all!

• Like 2