Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

34 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I like the honesty.  Why play coy when millions of women shave their pubic hair,  and millions of men like it.  

I think my biggest problems with it are: 1) Visually, it's a bit much for unsuspecting viewers (of which we all are); and 2) It runs at all hours of the day.

People lost their minds over the Schick Hydro Silk TrimStyle ad with the three cute girls "trimming their bushes," but so far as I know, that ad only aired during certain hours or during shows that were already aimed at more mature audiences.

We all know what razors do. I'm not sure we need to see close-up camera shots of anyone, woman or man, shaving their pubes on TV.

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

I think my biggest problems with it are: 1) Visually, it's a bit much for unsuspecting viewers (of which we all are); and 2) It runs at all hours of the day.

People lost their minds over the Schick Hydro Silk TrimStyle ad with the three cute girls "trimming their bushes," but so far as I know, that ad only aired during certain hours or during shows that were already aimed at more mature audiences.

We all know what razors do. I'm not sure we need to see close-up camera shots of anyone, woman or man, shaving their pubes on TV.

I already posted my aversion to the new Venus commercial (but hadn't posted the video).  To me it's just an excuse to say the word pubic so they can sound so progressive and modern.  Of course the model is all tatted up!  But who wears their undies in the shower while shaving?  And yes, there is a fine line of "that down there hair" visible for a split second.

• Like 3

I'm not sure how I feel about the Colace cutesy song about pooping and no. 2. There are two different songs, one about pooping and one about no. 2. I'm leaning toward irritated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Well, one reason people have been praising Billie is because they show actual hair getting shaved, so you can see how well the razors work. (And I agree with whoever said this seems to be their attempt at a Billie ad.) And some razors suck, so I think we probably do need close-up camera shots of people shaving. Does it have to be a bikini line? Probably not. But I'll take a bikini line over an armpit any day of the week. What we don't need is close-up shots of people running razors across hairless body parts.

• Like 5

The people in the Dixie commercial tilt the paper plates. And who piles up a paper plate with pasta or heavy food. 

• Like 4

ad for Otezla. Young man going to front door with GF, obviously to meet the parents for the first time. Mom greets young man with a hug (a bit over-familiar in my world, but whatever) but what drives me NUTs is that she gives her daughter (over the young man's shoulder) this raised eyebrow look like "Ooo, he's NICE-looking." Totally inappropriate in my opinion. He hasn't said a word yet, so it's clearly just his looks.

Then he gets conscripted into rolling out pasta in one of those manual machines, and apparently the simple act of turning a crank proves he's a CATCH! Mom hugs him (AGAIN) and Dad makes some kind of "You're great!" motion with his hand.

Yuk, and Yuk. Maybe we're just a non-effusive family LOL. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, ForumLou said:

I do have to say for LM, i love the guy that says 'Liberty Biberty'

Admitting that I do watch soap operas (sigh), that actor is currently a love interest for one of the female leads on 'The Bold and the Beautiful.' He plays a doctor.

DoctorFinn.jpeg

Edited by Kimboweena · Reason: Proper grammar counts.
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 2

Has anyone been seeing over and over again the Flo & The Gang "Beach Day" ad?  Flo can't be content to sun herself at the beach with her cohorts; she overhears a conversation between other beach goers about clustering their various insurance needs.  Flo can't keep quiet and springs into action telling them about bundling.  Why does Flo have to sound so manic and screechy?  I can barely make out what she's babbling about.  Has Flo always been this way or is it just on my nerves more?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

13 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Why does Flo have to sound so manic and screechy?  I can barely make out what she's babbling about.  Has Flo always been this way or is it just on my nerves more?

I think that's the character that they've crafted for her. There's a radio ad where she can't just chit-chat about the weather or whatever for 15 seconds before selling insurance. My (dear departed) father always said that she must be a relative of the execs, 'cause he disliked her so much :) 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, Kimboweena said:

Admitting that I do watch soap operas (sigh), that actor is currently a love interest for one of the female leads on 'The Bold and the Beautiful.' He plays a doctor.

DoctorFinn.jpeg

Damn, Steffi's face is full of fillers and Botox, I barely recognized her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Has anyone been seeing over and over again the Flo & The Gang "Beach Day" ad?  Flo can't be content to sun herself at the beach with her cohorts; she overhears a conversation between other beach goers about clustering their various insurance needs.  Flo can't keep quiet and springs into action telling them about bundling.  Why does Flo have to sound so manic and screechy?  I can barely make out what she's babbling about.  Has Flo always been this way or is it just on my nerves more?

I can deal with manic Flo easier than the flat, lackluster Mara (“super fun beach day, everybody”) - at least Flo is enthusiastic about her product, and the others obviously don’t give a flip!

Edited by OldStandard
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 6

4 hours ago, OldStandard said:

I can deal with manic Flo easier than the flat, lackluster Mara (“super fun beach day, everybody”) - at least Flo is enthusiastic about her product, and the others obviously don’t give a flip!

Since I don't give a flip about Progressive insurance, I'm with Mara on this one.  Her flat, lackluster delivery is the only thing tolerable or the least bit funny to me!  😛

• Like 4

13 hours ago, dleighg said:

ad for Otezla. Young man going to front door with GF, obviously to meet the parents for the first time. Mom greets young man with a hug (a bit over-familiar in my world, but whatever) but what drives me NUTs is that she gives her daughter (over the young man's shoulder) this raised eyebrow look like "Ooo, he's NICE-looking." Totally inappropriate in my opinion. He hasn't said a word yet, so it's clearly just his looks.

Then he gets conscripted into rolling out pasta in one of those manual machines, and apparently the simple act of turning a crank proves he's a CATCH! Mom hugs him (AGAIN) and Dad makes some kind of "You're great!" motion with his hand.

Yuk, and Yuk. Maybe we're just a non-effusive family LOL. 

Perhaps her previous boyfriends smelled bad and this dude smells good.  It WOULD be a welcome change.

• Laugh 7

9 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Since I don't give a flip about Progressive insurance, I'm with Mara on this one.  Her flat, lackluster delivery is the only thing tolerable or the least bit funny to me!  😛

I love Mara.  I’m waiting for the reveal that the sign spinner is her brother. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

20 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

DoctorFinn.jpeg

Do you happen to know his name!?  I'm just curious about something.  No Worries though.  Lifelong soaper here. DOOL was my poison for sooooooooooooooooooo many years and still is. And Then i took a break because i was mad they got rid of the best dude...well 2 dudes actually

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I love Mara.  I’m waiting for the reveal that the sign spinner is her brother. 

Hahahaha that would.be.Hysterical!  I love her too.  They better watch out Sign Spinner Guy, and Condos for Sale Guy 150k.  Didnt i see something thing the other day with water added?  Might be their new ad. ........if not Mara, then another selling cell phones.  Hopefully Mara though, she would be hysterical on a phone and trying to sell phones.

21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

See, this ad and others which misuse sound to irritate the shit out me -- well, they, ah . . . they irritate the shit right out of me.

It's a boorish gimmick used by inconsiderate creatives who don't know how to behave as guests in our living rooms.

And yes, it's all the rage and I hate it.

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

See, this ad and others which misuse sound to irritate the shit out me -- well, they, ah . . . they irritate the shit right out of me.

It's a boorish gimmick used by inconsiderate creatives who don't know how to behave as guests in our living rooms.

And yes, it's all the rage and I hate it.

The one that instantly comes to mind is the one with the "strongest man in the world" with all of his disgusting grunting and shouting. Makes my skin crawl.

• Like 8

On 4/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, friendperidot said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Colace cutesy song about pooping and no. 2. There are two different songs, one about pooping and one about no. 2. I'm leaning toward irritated.

If it had been a bladder control commercial, I would have been pissed.

When I was a kid, I don't remember seeing all of these bodily function commercials.  I guess nothing is off limits now.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

5 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Do you happen to know his name!?  I'm just curious about something.  No Worries though.  Lifelong soaper here.

His name is Tanner Novlan.

1 minute ago, Kimboweena said:

that is a name tailor made for a soap opera.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 9

I'm not liking this recent Subway ad. It's one thing for Megan Rapinoe to suggest a sub sandwich instead of a greasy burrito, burger, etc. It's another for her to kick a damn soccer ball at your face to make her point.

• Like 6

I just have to roll my eyes at a new "Subway is the healthy choice, yo" campaign months after Ireland's high court ruled that, because Subway's bread is so ridiculously high in sugar, it can't even be classified as bread under the country's VAT rules, it's instead a confectionery for those purposes. 

• Like 12
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 3

Isn't the last guy who told us Subway food was super healthy going to be in prison for molesting children until at least 2028? Color me just a tad skeptical of that claim.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 6

Ore-Ida.  A mother runs around the house with a french fry to bribe her child to eat a vegetable.  This kind of advertising disgusts me.

• Like 7

I saw one the other day where the kid wouldn't eat broccoli. Mom didn't chase the kid around, she just opened up a bag of pre-shredded cheese and put in over the same broccoli the kid wouldn't eat.  I thought that was a LOT better than making Mac & Cheese instead of the broccoli.

(I was a fortunate kid in that regard - Mom didn't like broccoli, so we never got it served. LOL)

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw one the other day where the kid wouldn't eat broccoli. Mom didn't chase the kid around, she just opened up a bag of pre-shredded cheese and put in over the same broccoli the kid wouldn't eat.  I thought that was a LOT better than making Mac & Cheese instead of the broccoli.

(I was a fortunate kid in that regard - Mom didn't like broccoli, so we never got it served. LOL)

My son loves broccoli. Probably because I practically lived on when I was PG.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Is anyone else completely over the Kohl's hopscotch ad? I thought it was cute at first, but it's been so overplayed that now whenever I hear that beginning tinkly piano music, I have to mute or change the channel as fast as I can. It's like the ad execs (or whoever makes the airing decisions) got wind that the commercial was cute and popular and decided to play it at least once during every commercial break of every show ever. At least it damn sure feels like it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

Is anyone else completely over the Kohl's hopscotch ad? I thought it was cute at first, but it's been so overplayed that now whenever I hear that beginning tinkly piano music, I have to mute or change the channel as fast as I can. It's like the ad execs (or whoever makes the airing decisions) got wind that the commercial was cute and popular and decided to play it at least once during every commercial break of every show ever. At least it damn sure feels like it.

I haven't gotten to that point yet on this one, but the one with the guy driving and the singing hood ornament has me wanting to throw something at the tv.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I haven't gotten to that point yet on this one, but the one with the guy driving and the singing hood ornament has me wanting to throw something at the tv.

I like it if I only listen to it.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

On 4/23/2021 at 3:41 PM, Kimboweena said:

DoctorFinn.jpeg

His RL name wouldnt be Ben by chance would it?

On 4/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, peacheslatour said:

The one that instantly comes to mind is the one with the "strongest man in the world" with all of his disgusting grunting and shouting. Makes my skin crawl.

Yep -- and before that, the stupid clog dancing and bagpipes.

Any excuse to make noise just to get our attention.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

Oh ok.  Different actor than i was thinking of

• Like 2

On 4/24/2021 at 3:58 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oof. I haaate that one. Geico really doesn't listen to their viewers, do they?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

It's interesting the different ads people see. I've only seen that one once.

• Like 2

I've seen it a lot but not overly done. As far as ads go it is still nice/cute and doesn't bug me at all. To each his/her own...

• Like 3

The Facebook Portal ad featuring a new, frustrated 'mum' trying to nurse her baby while portaling with her mum.  Now, I really adore the characters and how they're portrayed.  The new mum actually comes across like she's at the end of her rope without appearing annoying (and the sweet British accents help)

What makes my teeth grind is the message being portrayed here.  All I can think of is when my sister-in-law couldn't get my nephew (who hadn't slept more than 20 minutes at a clip) to nurse.  The reason?  The poor baby was hungry and thin breast milk wasn't filling his tummy enough to satisfy him.  When my sister and I visited, she took the baby from SIL, made a small bottle with formula to which he sucked down in record time - then slept for 2 hours straight.  Needless to say, she never breast fed after that

Now, if it's for medical reasons that the baby needs breast milk, then you need to do what you can do. But I don't like how it comes across (to me) that new mom's are made to feel like they're failures to the point of tears because they can't get their baby to nurse no matter how much they try different positions and what nots.  If the doctor okays the baby for formula then cut your losses, give the kid a bottle and give your boobs a rest.  You'll still be a good mom

• Like 17

23 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Yep -- and before that, the stupid clog dancing and bagpipes.

I never understood why it's called 'clog' dancing.  Looks like tap dancing to me

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I never understood why it's called 'clog' dancing.  Looks like tap dancing to me

What they're doing is clog dancing but why they're wearing tap shoes is beyond me. I thought you were supposed to wear clogs.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, ctlady said:

They wear clogs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ctlady said:

The Facebook Portal ad featuring a new, frustrated 'mum' trying to nurse her baby while portaling with her mum.  Now, I really adore the characters and how they're portrayed.  The new mum actually comes across like she's at the end of her rope without appearing annoying (and the sweet British accents help)

What makes my teeth grind is the message being portrayed here.  All I can think of is when my sister-in-law couldn't get my nephew (who hadn't slept more than 20 minutes at a clip) to nurse.  The reason?  The poor baby was hungry and thin breast milk wasn't filling his tummy enough to satisfy him.  When my sister and I visited, she took the baby from SIL, made a small bottle with formula to which he sucked down in record time - then slept for 2 hours straight.  Needless to say, she never breast fed after that

Now, if it's for medical reasons that the baby needs breast milk, then you need to do what you can do. But I don't like how it comes across (to me) that new mom's are made to feel like they're failures to the point of tears because they can't get their baby to nurse no matter how much they try different positions and what nots.  If the doctor okays the baby for formula then cut your losses, give the kid a bottle and give your boobs a rest.  You'll still be a good mom

Well, I would say that if one is wanting for whatever reason to make breastfeeding work, then "talk to mum" (or lactation specialist, or whoever) should come before "give the kid a bottle".  So the ad seemed okay to me.  And I can well remember that new "mums" can be at the end of their ropes about all kinds of stuff, most of which eventually works itself out. Of course that's easy to say 30-some years later. The ad could as easily been about how to burp the baby or how to get diapers to stay on...

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Trey said:

They wear clogs.

Pipped by Peaches response.  I think clog and tap steps are similar, so you could wear either footwear.

An ad that has just started playing that I just loathe, for Progressive Insurance, is one with the overgrown hippie in his parents' basement. He looks stupid and is so rude to his aged father, who just asked him if he wanted a hamburger for dinner.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I would say that if one is wanting for whatever reason to make breastfeeding work, then "talk to mum" (or lactation specialist, or whoever) should come before "give the kid a bottle"

Understood - which is why I did stress that if they need to do it, then they need to figure out how to cope.  My issue is a baby being okayed for formula, yet new mothers still forcing nursing because giving up equals failure as a mother.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I would say that if one is wanting for whatever reason to make breastfeeding work, then "talk to mum" (or lactation specialist, or whoever) should come before "give the kid a bottle".  So the ad seemed okay to me.  And I can well remember that new "mums" can be at the end of their ropes about all kinds of stuff, most of which eventually works itself out. Of course that's easy to say 30-some years later. The ad could as easily been about how to burp the baby or how to get diapers to stay on...

1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Understood - which is why I did stress that if they need to do it, then they need to figure out how to cope.  My issue is a baby being okayed for formula, yet new mothers still forcing nursing because giving up equals failure as a mother.

Fair enough - I can understand why it could hit a nerve for you based on what  you've experienced.  I guess it just hit me as one of many Facebook ads about one of many possible things people might want to communicate about.

• Like 1

Colonial Penn: "I just got a text from my sister. Remember her neighbor?"  As hubby reaches for a cooky, "The guy that runs...blah blah"  "Not anymore" Camera shows hubby about to bite into that cooky but he stops and says "Are we gonna have that talk again about getiing insurance?"  As the conversation goes back and forth between the couple, every shot of him shows him about to bite into the cooky, but lowers it to say something.

Meanwhile, I'm yelling at the TV, "Eat the freakin' cooky already!"  He never does while the commercial is running.  Maybe he finally ate it afterward.  And I think if that were my brother & sister in law having that conversation, Joe would have eaten all the cookies by the time the conversation was ended.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 12

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Colonial Penn: "I just got a text from my sister. Remember her neighbor?"  As hubby reaches for a cooky, "The guy that runs...blah blah"  "Not anymore" Camera shows hubby about to bite into that cooky but he stops and says "Are we gonna have that talk again about getiing insurance?"  As the conversation goes back and forth between the couple, every shot of him shows him about to bite into the cooky, but lowers it to say something.

Meanwhile, I'm yelling at the TV, "Eat the freakin' cooky already!"  He never does while the commercial is running.  Maybe he finally ate it afterward.  And I think if that were my brother & sister in law having that conversation, Joe would have eaten all the cookies by the time the conversation was ended.

Reminds me of the old Sears commercial.

“I’ll call today.”

“You’ll call now.”

“I’ll call now.” 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At least no one attempted to take it out of his hands or shoved it in his face.

Years ago, there was a commercial for something in which a man was about to eat a powdered doughnut regardless of the hateful glare of his (presumed) wife, and before he could put it in his mouth- she took it out of his hand and shoved it into his face! And the whole time the song 'If  I Didn't Care for You!' was playing in the background!  NOPE!

Hey, if   you don't want to eat a doughnut, don't eat it but don't destroy another person's food  and smear their face with it and then try to pretend you did it because you care instead of because you are a control freak jerk who can't stand grown people around you making their own decisions about what they consume in their own house! 

And yes, I say this as someone who knows that powdered doughnuts aren't the most nutritious or healthy foods out there but even that doesn't justify destroying another person's food- much less shoving into their face!  So not only was that vandalism and waste but couldn't one also say that that was abuse?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

At least no one attempted to take it out of his hands or shoved it in his face.

Years ago, there was a commercial for something in which a man was about to eat a powdered doughnut regardless of the hateful glare of his (presumed) wife, and before he could put it in his mouth- she took it out of his hand and shoved it into his face! And the whole time the song 'If  I Didn't Care for You!' was playing in the background!  NOPE!

Hey, if   you don't want to eat a doughnut, don't eat it but don't destroy another person's food  and smear their face with it and then try to pretend you did it because you care instead of because you are a control freak jerk who can't stand grown people around you making their own decisions about what they consume in their own house! 

And yes, I say this as someone who knows that powdered doughnuts aren't the most nutritious or healthy foods out there but even that doesn't justify destroying another person's food- much less shoving into their face!  So not only was that vandalism and waste but couldn't one also say that that was abuse?

Assault and battery with a doughnut.

• Laugh 13

46 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Assault and battery with a doughnut.

I wish that was a thing. Shove wedding cake in your new bride or groom's face? Assault With Pastry. Thirty days in the hole!

• Like 7
  • Laugh 7