Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Oy, this commercial with an annoying-voiced cartoon toddler running through the woods pantsless, touting the virtues of Pull-Ups or something! This fool is too articulate and physically capable (of cartwheels, no less!) to not know when to pee in the bathroom!

• Like 2

Just now, TattleTeeny said:

This fool is too articulate and physically capable (of cartwheels, no less!) to not know when to pee in the bathroom!

But 🎵She's a big kid now!🎵

• Laugh 13

21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This fool is too articulate and physically capable (of cartwheels, no less!) to not know when to pee in the bathroom!

Probably related to the (way too old to wet his pants) kid in the car commercial who tells both parents before a car trip that he doesn't have to 'go' then decides he has to go.  As mentioned before, the original commercial showed the kid saying 'too late' when his mom tried to get him out of the car, but now just shows them running into the mall.

• Like 4

Unless there’s some hidden medical condition for Cartoon Toddler, I suspect she’s being selectively lazy. Although, she is out hiking in the woods (barefoot and pantsless), maybe she is just being prepared!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, SweetieDarling said:

I'm going to go with the assumption that you don't work retail.

If knuckles491 is commuting in Boston, working on a bomb disposal squad would be a nerve-soothing relief in comparison.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 14

On 3/26/2021 at 5:15 AM, KWalkerInc said:

The guy yelling in the Kit Kat commercials doesn't really bother me, at least not compared to this wonderful "song" for Kit Kat Thins (why does the candy have to be thinner, and why did they make this jingle so annoying?).

They're making everything "thin" these days. 

Oreo Thins were meh. They were good for stuffing a bunch in your mouth (not that would know from experience) but that's it. I couldn't eat them like I usually do (I go layer by layer on these things).

Although the Kit-Kat duos I see ads for were actually pretty good.

• Laugh 9

34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Martha Stewart in a kitty litter commercialIt is a good thing.

The commercial is okay for what it is, but isn't that the bottom of the kitty litter box for Martha?

She's a smart business woman. Like Michael Caine said of Jaws 4 :

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

• Like 8
  • Laugh 14

On 4/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Unless there’s some hidden medical condition for Cartoon Toddler, I suspect she’s being selectively lazy. Although, she is out hiking in the woods (barefoot and pantsless), maybe she is just being prepared!

This reminds me of the ads that showed kids practically big enough for first grade, hiking, riding the carousel by themselves, etc with stupid pacifiers in their mouths. Also, a different one, for Skittles, that was sickening is when the guy's face is covered with them like chicken pox and a girl picks one off and eats it. I hope the person that thought that one up was fired. Ads are supposed to make you want to buy the product, not throw up!

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, susannah said:

This reminds me of the ads that showed kids practically big enough for first grade, hiking, riding the carousel by themselves, etc with stupid pacifiers in their mouths. Also, a different one, for Skittles, that was sickening is when the guy's face is covered with them like chicken pox and a girl picks one off and eats it. I hope the person that thought that one up was fired. Ads are supposed to make you want to buy the product, not throw up!

Yeah that totally grossed me out.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, susannah said:

Skittles, that was sickening is when the guy's face is covered with them like chicken pox and a girl picks one off and eats it. I hope the person that thought that one up was fired. Ads are supposed to make you want to buy the product, not throw up!

My grandkids think the Skittle ads are funny. And they like Skittles. So if that's the demo they're going for, they bit their mark.

• Useful 1

32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My grandkids think the Skittle ads are funny. And they like Skittles. So if that's the demo they're going for, they bit their mark.

Kids think lots of gross things are funny.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I will defend the Skittles pox commercial until my last dying breath!

Say it isn't so!!!! 👎😀

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

On 4/15/2021 at 6:07 PM, janie jones said:

I will defend the Skittles pox commercial until my last dying breath!

Why?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Suzn said:

Why?

I mean, I won't really, but I find it pretty much unremarkable, despite other people's horror.

• Like 4

Why are all the people carrying heavy tailgates--up a hill, no less--to the GMC truck with the six-way adjustable tailgate? Hoping the General Motors Almighty will transform their analog tailgates on the Mount of the GMC Sierra? I hope they're not just planning to dump them there. The annoying earworm of a song only adds to my "WTF?"

• Like 4
  • Laugh 5

The Huggies commercial with the animated little girl doing cartwheels........ played over and over and over again. Please make it stop.

• Like 7

The proliferation of awful Charmin teddy bear commercials continues.  Stop the madness!  Now there's another one where the little boy bear wags his heinie at the camera to show it's "clean."  But these must be super successful somehow. 

• Laugh 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, Kemper said:

The “get your wet teddy-bears” is akin to getting a root canal.  As is “not in my house” .... etc.

Finally saw the "wet teddy bears" ad yesterday. 

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 3
  • Laugh 12

Charmin's damn lucky it puts out an excellent product, otherwise the crap-obsessed bear families would have sent me into the waiting arms of Cottonelle or Scott long ago.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 12

2 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Charmin's damn lucky it puts out an excellent product, otherwise the crap-obsessed bear families would have sent me into the waiting arms of Cottonelle or Scott long ago.

Cottonelle is linty. Bleh.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

On 4/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, ForumLou said:

Ok Geico missed it on this one.  Slap Happy Mutombo.  What is the point other then he's being a bitch.

Are Geico, Progressive and Liberty Mutual in a competition to see whose advertisers can come up with the stupidest commercial of all time?

Geico: Slap Happy Mutombo

Progressive: Don't turn into your parents

Liberty Mutual: Wet teddy bear stand

What do any of these have to do with insurance of any kind?

Edited by eel21788
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 4

The ad for canine Advantix 2 flea stuff was running every 5 minutes yesterday on several channels I was watching- the one with the group of 'talking' dogs who are afraid to chase the ball into a hedge because there might be fleas, ticks and (bloodhound howling) mosquitoooooooos. 

I always wonder if these companies realize the amount of brand hatred this tactic builds up in the viewers. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

50 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I still prefer Great Northern.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I still prefer Great Northern.

I like the Kirkland brand from Costco.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I call Scott "sandpaper for your ass" because it is that rough.  Charmin all the way for me.  But I do hate the Charmin bears.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

OP here.  These ads don't work on me.  I buy Envision toilet paper in bulk from Amazon.  It's sort of like Scott.  I've never liked that super soft Charmin.

Edited by GussieK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Are Geico, Progressive and Liberty Mutual in a competition to see whose advertisers can come up with the stupidest commercial of all time?

I do have to say for LM, i love the guy that says 'Liberty Biberty' hehe stupid i know but Ive been going through major dental stuff and currently lisping and talking weird.  Dont ask me to say S lol. Anyway that is my mantra to get my mouth going. I just say Liberty Biberty a few times and Im ready.

• Like 11

I don't like the AFLAC ad where two men (I think one of them is Rob Riggle) are acting like sports commentators at a desk, but instead are mocking an injured woman who can't pay her medical bills because she doesn't have AFLAC.  They then laugh over the fact that she can't give them the sideeye over their comments because she can't turn her neck.  They seem like assholes.

• Like 8
  • Surprise 2

The itchy (unlean) rear of the little red bear really squicks me out. It'd be different if he were wearing those underpants he left on the floor, but, noooooo, he's got his naked, nasty butt on the furniture and he's wiggling around, rubbing that residue onto the furniture.  Not even my cats are that nasty.

• Like 11
  • Laugh 3

The commercial for some skin cream in which the model states “it was unbe-en”  grates on my last nerve. If she is going to be a spokesman for the product, PLEASE teach her to say the letter “T” in the appropriate place!

• Like 8

19 hours ago, eel21788 said:

14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love that one.

I think Progressive at least makes some effort to tie the ads back to the product.  At least some of them mention something to the effect that now that you need insurance (like your parents), you shouldn't turn into your parents.  Or something like that.  Anyway, they make more of an effort than the wet teddy bear people.  And at least for some of us, they're amusing.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I don't like the AFLAC ad where two men (I think one of them is Rob Riggle) are acting like sports commentators at a desk, but instead are mocking an injured woman who can't pay her medical bills because she doesn't have AFLAC.  They then laugh over the fact that she can't give them the sideeye over their comments because she can't turn her neck.  They seem like assholes.

Rob Riggle has seemed like an asshole in every single thing I've ever seen him in. Maybe it's unfair, but my assumption is there's not much acting involved.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Liberty's "wet teddy bears" isn't a commercial -- it's the ad agency giving Liberty Mutual a public teabagging.

"Look!" they are saying. "We can get this client to buy ANYTHING!"

In my blog review of this ad, I included Liberty's contact information so people could speak out. If you'd like to give the company a piece of your mind, here is how to do it:

https://www.facebook.com/libertymutual

https://twitter.com/LibertyMutual

Customer service phone number: 1-800-290-7933

Mailing address for the corporate headquarters:

Liberty Mutual Insurance
175 Berkeley Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116

Be sure to address your comments to Jenna Lebel, Liberty’s chief marketing officer. None of these ads can air without her approval.

Fight on, fellow ad critics!

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

24 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Liberty's "wet teddy bears" isn't a commercial -- it's the ad agency giving Liberty Mutual a public teabagging.

In my blog review of this ad, I included Liberty's contact information so people could speak out. If you'd like to give the company a piece of your mind, here is how to do it:

Liberty Mutual Insurance
175 Berkeley Street

Be sure to address your comments to Jenna Lebel, Liberty’s chief marketing officer. None of these ads can air without her approval.

But.. but... if they take down all the annoying ads, what would we have to snark at?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 20

4 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Liberty Mutual Insurance
175 Berkeley Street

I can't speak for anyone else, but this immensely overestimates the amount I care about literally anything we talk about in here. 😀

• Like 19
  • Laugh 5

It's dumb but not something I'd get offended by enough to complain.  Except here, of course.

• Like 9

I was driving past a house getting remodeled today and saw a large pile of wood in the parkway. I immediately thought "Who just gives away wood"?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 20

4 minutes ago, Darlabutterfly said:

I was driving past a house getting remodeled today and saw a large pile of wood in the parkway. I immediately thought "Who just gives away wood"?

From what I heard from a local contractor here in MT lately, wood is very expensive. That pile in the commercial could certainly be reused.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

55 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

From what I heard from a local contractor here in MT lately, wood is very expensive. That pile in the commercial could certainly be reused.

They had a report on the local news in Atlanta that the price of wood has gone up due to shortage that it adds another $24k for an average house.  (Except I haven't seen an "average" house being built in a long time around here - they're all McMansions.)

• Like 1

I saw a commercial several times over the weekend in which little kids are each driving cars. I thought the suv's being driven fast up a hill, off road, were irresponsible.  But kids "driving" automobiles (& recklessly) is asking for trouble. So right now it's these car ads + the obnoxious itchy butt bear ads that are bugging me.

• Like 2

we're doing a little remodeling, painting, sanding and staining and sealing floors, new surround and vanity and floors in bathroom, etc.  Had to replace some trim molding in the one bedroom. Fairly simple molding, from a late 50s/early 60s ranch style tract house. $7/foot. The room is not large about 12x12, but that can add up fast.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

I'm trying to sort out my feelings about this ad.

Anyone else?

I'm afraid to even watch it.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

I'm trying to sort out my feelings about this ad.

Anyone else?

I like the honesty.  Why play coy when millions of women shave their pubic hair,  and millions of men like it.  

• Like 3

Gillette is trying and failing miserably to do a commercial in the style of Billie's.  They get points for finally saying "pubic hair" but then lose them for "down there".  And, fundamentally, they fail for declaring women's pubic hair requires special tools.

And for coming off like yet another razor commercial showing women shaving already bare skin.  I think she does have the slightest bit of hair at her underwear line, but it's very slight and they flash away quickly.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6