Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I assumed it was self-steering, as it turned in at the correct driveway.

As we're discussing a grill...

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And don't even get me started on how the dude says Navaah- ge.

To me, it's the way he says 'your noooze' as if even having a nose is disgusting.

• Laugh 5

The latest "Poise in your Pants" ad with the lady walking out of a gardening/ plant store with bags of concrete mix/fertilizer (?) feeling SO confident because she has POISE IN HER PANTS!

I may have misread this new Poise commercial because it's the first time I've seen it. But I'm pretty sure the message is all about not worrying about leaky bladder problems while purchasing garden supplies.😊

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

6 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I may have misread this new Poise commercial because it's the first time I've seen it. But I'm pretty sure the message is all about not worrying about leaky bladder problems while purchasing garden supplies.😊

If you're going to be lifting a lot of bags of concrete or fertilizer, Poise in your pants is probably not a bad thing.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

This has probably been brought up before...but does everyone in America have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis?

• Laugh 20
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

This has probably been brought up before...but does everyone in America have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis?

Which commercial? Otezla? Taltz? Xeljanz?

On 3/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Megan said:

These new AirBnB commercials with Dolly singing I will Always Love you with the dogs, and the Forever Young one do not seem like fun vacation vignettes but instead like the dogs and your friend/family died.

Yeah, those commercials didn't exactly convey the emotion of "FUN VACATION!!!!!!!".

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Like 9
  • Laugh 1

29 minutes ago, knuckles491 said:

does everyone in America have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis?

and I love how the "patient" always says "I have moderate to severe plaque psoriasis."

NOBODY would ever say that. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 12

On 2/28/2021 at 2:55 AM, Yeah No said:

Little girl who yells out "I wanna bucket of chicken"!  Cue Enya music.  World peace is achievable through cheesy pasta.

Then the other little snagglepuss girl that yells "Hey, Hamlin I like your PJs".  Just want to slap her across her snotty little face.  It's so bad we rush for the remote to mute her.

Burl Ives and Edith Piaf songs - I suppose I'm one of 20 people still left that remembers them.  Too bad the commercials annoy.  Stupid deer in the headlights look on the father when he sees the sonogram.  And if I see that jello mold dessert almost fall off that car roof again I'm going to scream.

1. LOL

2. What's funnier is Hamiln's response... "PJ's?"

3. The girl in the car looking at the Jello mold on top of the other car is the only redeeming part. They also used that Edith Piaf song in a Dove chocolates commercial with a really old dancer... I cannot remember what her name is.

• Like 4

On 3/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, Megan said:

These new AirBnB commercials with Dolly singing I will Always Love you with the dogs, and the Forever Young one do not seem like fun vacation vignettes but instead like the dogs and your friend/family died.  

1 hour ago, Kawaiiko said:

Yeah, those commercials didn't exactly convey the emotion of "FUN VACATION!!!!!!!".

And now I'm paying attention to the lyrics at the beginning:  "If I should stay/Well, I would only be in your way...".  Who's dying!?!  Is it the dog?  The skinny guy in the cap?  This is somebody's last trip, right?  I keep asking my family when that one comes on, but oddly, they can't help.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 6

5 hours ago, Kawaiiko said:

2. What's funnier is Hamiln's response... "PJ's

That little girl looks like she could be Hamlin's daughter. Maybe she is.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I really hate the current Peleton ad with the woman who looks in the mirror and says, "I'm awake" before she starts her workout. I don't dislike her -- I hate the instructors! For one brief second, the woman looks down at her cat and the instructor says, "Stay with me, now." The woman just looked at her cat. She didn't get off the bike to raid the fridge.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 8

22 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The way the "sorry not sorry" Reese's narrator pronounces "peanut butter" gets on my nerves (as does mostly anything else he says) -- "peenit BUHtter."

I'm SO glad it isn't just me!  C'mon man, can't you pronounce it right? Do you say 'bisketti' too?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And now I'm paying attention to the lyrics at the beginning:  "If I should stay/Well, I would only be in your way...".  Who's dying!?!  Is it the dog?  The skinny guy in the cap?  This is somebody's last trip, right?  I keep asking my family when that one comes on, but oddly, they can't help.

Oh my god, call it COVID-world emotions or whatever, but the dog makes me want to cry! I know it's not meant to be sad, but it sounds like they are taking him on a last trip and it KILLS ME! Ugh, even just typing this my eyes are watering!

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

16 hours ago, bankerchick said:

If you're going to be lifting a lot of bags of concrete or fertilizer, Poise in your pants is probably not a bad thing.

Don't they have big, strong, good-looking guys around to help the ladies lift heavy things?  I'd be using the poise in my personality to round up someone to help me.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 9

I saw a new Mo-Taur Geico commercial last night.   The Mo-taur gets a flat tire, and I hate that series so much.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I really hate the current Peleton ad with the woman who looks in the mirror and says, "I'm awake" before she starts her workout. I don't dislike her -- I hate the instructors! For one brief second, the woman looks down at her cat and the instructor says, "Stay with me, now." The woman just looked at her cat. She didn't get off the bike to raid the fridge.

I hate all Peloton commercials, and hate this one too because apparently they didn't learn from the recent child death:  Children and pets should be kept away from the equipment!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

For one brief second, the woman looks down at her cat and the instructor says, "Stay with me, now." The woman just looked at her cat.

And can the peleton teacher see you? I mean, she probably has a hundred or a thousand riding at one time right? I guess I don't understand the point of these "live" classes, unless it's just to try to move up the leaderboard. I'd be at the bottom so it would not be inspiring in the least LOL.

• Like 8

I hate the Folger's coffee commercial with the woman on the Zoom meeting, and her kid is pushing into the picture.     

• Like 8

Why does "Sara!" in the Jenny Craig commercial take her mask off after going inside the salon? She waits until she's halfway through the room and then removes it right when she's passing a few people who are all masked. I mean, if the receptionist was already able to ascertain right when she first walked in with the mask on that it was "Sara!" and that she'd lost weight, there wasn't any reason to remove it mid-transit. I guess she felt it was worth it just so everyone could see her big smile. I know I'm overthinking it but, geez, lady, what the hell? Damn the pandemic for the completely different lens through which I often view things now...and sometimes causes irritation!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Like 21

On 4/6/2021 at 12:21 PM, chenoa333 said:

That little girl looks like she could be Hamlin's daughter. Maybe she is.

It's not his daughter. 

IMG_20210407_202213.jpg

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Like 8

Wasn't Rachel Luttrell on Stargate Atlantis?   Is that her daughter?

• Useful 1

On 4/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, TattleTeeny said:

The way the "sorry not sorry" Reese's narrator pronounces "peanut butter" gets on my nerves (as does mostly anything else he says) -- "peenit BUHtter."

That’s Will Arnett; AKA Gob Bluth on “Arrested Development,” Bojack Horseman, Lego Movie Batman among others.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

On 4/6/2021 at 12:53 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate all Peloton commercials, and hate this one too because apparently they didn't learn from the recent child death:  Children and pets should be kept away from the equipment!

There were an estimated 22,500 treadmill-related injuries treated at US emergency departments among all ages, including around 2,000 involving children under the age of eight, according to the consumer product safety commission.

Between 2018 and 2020, it received reports of 17 deaths related to the use of a treadmill, including one involving a 5-year-old.  BBC

More good excuses reasons for me not to buy expensive equipment or go to the gym.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

I see my decision to leave my treadmill unused in the corner was a wise one!

• Like 6
  • Laugh 8

On 3/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, Browncoat said:

It probably is trying to go back to the days (the 70s?  80s?) when bras were referred to as "over the shoulder boulder holders".  I haven't heard the phrase in years and years.

Just like Over the butt nut huts for men lol

• Laugh 4

On 4/6/2021 at 7:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the Folger's coffee commercial with the woman on the Zoom meeting, and her kid is pushing into the picture.     

This commercial didn't bother me at first but it gets more annoying every time I see it. Her dancing around to block the kid would be more distracting than the kid popping into frame. If I were leading that meeting, I'd tell her to take a few minutes to "get situated."

I saw this commercial this morning, and I noticed for the first time that one of the participants isn't even paying attention; he's on his phone.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

You don't hang your laundry on yours? 

• Laugh 11

My late husband had a Soloflex(remember them?)that I never saw him use in the ten years we were together.  It ended up being a combination clothes rack/cat perch.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My late husband had a Soloflex(remember them?)that I never saw him use in the ten years we were together.  It ended up being a combination clothes rack/cat perch.

I still have my Soloflex that I bought in the 80s.   Even though I still use some parts of it for exercise, it's a great clothes rack.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 6:36 AM, dleighg said:

yeah I've spent the last year transitioning from all wired bras to all wireless bras. I just needed to find ones that were supportive enough, but once I did, there's no going back. 

Please tell me the name of one wireless bra.  I hate bras.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Please tell me the name of one wireless bra.  I hate bras

I've been pretty happy with this one (got it at Kohls) Bali® Comfort Revolution Smart Sizes Shaping Wire-Free Bra

I also got one from HoneyLove (V-Neck Bra) you step into it and pull up, and it works well also. These are two that don't have the "roll-up" issue that some of the others I've tried have. 

• Useful 1

5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Apparently if you don't have closet space they work well for hanging your clothes.

• Laugh 1

15 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I've been pretty happy with this one (got it at Kohls) Bali® Comfort Revolution Smart Sizes Shaping Wire-Free Bra

I also got one from HoneyLove (V-Neck Bra) you step into it and pull up, and it works well also. These are two that don't have the "roll-up" issue that some of the others I've tried have. 

Thanks .. I love Kohl’s and can order on line.

• Like 1

Before anyone comes at me, lol, I am a special education teacher who has many kids with Autism on her caseload, and they are my peeps.  The commercial via Sesame Street with Julia?  The character with autism?  BUGS ME.  First off, kudos to you for normalizing autism.  But for all that is good and holy, kids with autism (unless it is really severe) can speak in more fluid sentences that "Music loud."  "Play band!"   How about "Gee will it be loud?  Can I get my headphones?"  

Thank you.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Me too.  There are some people who find him funny and as a parent myself (my kids are too old for that, lol) I would have been like "GO AWAY NOW OR YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR XBOX AGAIN.  I AM AT WORK."  And as an employee, lady, your kid should not be listening to what may be confidential stuff.

• Like 9

I don't even know what they're advertising but the one with "the strongest man in the world" gets on my last nerve. Instant channel change.

• Like 2

And can the peleton teacher see you? I mean, she probably has a hundred or a thousand riding at one time right? 

I wonder this too! And I also can't decide if it annoys me that the instructor calls the class "Peloton"--as an employee, wouldn't she "be" Peloton more so than the class is? I guess if I don't know if it annoys me, then maybe it doesn't.

No one loves a treadmill? I had to get rid of my old one to use the space for a desk. I missed it so I bought a newer, smaller one that can be stashed under a bed or standing up on its end in a closet--or in my case the laundry "room" in the hall (pretty much just a larger closet with a washer/dryer in it). It's a pain taking it out and putting it back every day, and having it kind of hog up a small section of the hallway, but I love taking periodic 10-minute breaks to get up and walk a mile! Plus, yikes--I apparently need something to remind or impel me to take a break when I work from home. It's weird.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

Isn't peloton what the mass of riders on the Tour de France, and other races is called?   The spelling may be off, but I thought that's why they called them that, since they're a big group.    

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

6 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Isn't peloton what the mass of riders on the Tour de France, and other races is called?   The spelling may be off, but I thought that's why they called them that, since they're a big group.    

Yes. And the spelling is the same.

pel·o·ton

/ˈpeləˌtän/

noun

the main field or group of cyclists in a race.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

On 3/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, Scout Finch said:

From the side, the animated hood ornament in the Allstate commercial resembles the gremlin on John Lithgow's plane wing. I half expect it to lean forward and jam a finger into the front grill.

That thing creeps me out, too. I'm not sure why, but I get anxiety every time I see it.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

That thing creeps me out, too. I'm not sure why, but I get anxiety every time I see it.

Yeah, I could definitely do without it.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 3:57 AM, friendperidot said:

somewhere in one of these threads, probably this one, someone mentioned how annoying the Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Cheetos commercial was. I hadn't seen, but something I was watching recently had the ad on several times. Holy Cow! You'd think that someone who makes the kind of money he does, he could afford a singing coach. He's really and truly annoying.

I’ve seen two versions. One has Ashton singing and other has Shaggy singing. Don’t understand why they would air Ashton singing at all since he sounds awful! Plus Shaggy is the original singer of this song and is much better.

• Like 4

The TurboTax "Free" commercials are REALLY getting on my nerves.  Especially the exercise one.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Before anyone comes at me, lol, I am a special education teacher who has many kids with Autism on her caseload, and they are my peeps.  The commercial via Sesame Street with Julia?  The character with autism?  BUGS ME.  First off, kudos to you for normalizing autism.  But for all that is good and holy, kids with autism (unless it is really severe) can speak in more fluid sentences that "Music loud."  "Play band!"   How about "Gee will it be loud?  Can I get my headphones?"  

Thank you.

Me too.  There are some people who find him funny and as a parent myself (my kids are too old for that, lol) I would have been like "GO AWAY NOW OR YOU WILL NEVER SEE YOUR XBOX AGAIN.  I AM AT WORK."  And as an employee, lady, your kid should not be listening to what may be confidential stuff.

I think Julia is adorable she's supposed to be in preschool so she doesn't have good communication skill yet.

6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The kid upstairs from me is autistic. He was watching a Star Wars DVD. His mom was sitting next to him and she asked him for the remote. He said to her, "Use the Force" and then laughed uproariously.  He's a pre-teen.

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't even know what they're advertising but the one with "the strongest man in the world" gets on my last nerve. Instant channel change.

GEICO, of course.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

No one loves a treadmill?

I wish I had room for one. I don't even have room for the cats to have one. (It's a 4' hamster wheel for cats)

• Laugh 2

On 4/6/2021 at 9:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I would be sorely tempted to give my kid an elbow for that.  But she should probably say "I'll be right back" and get the child interested in something else.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Leeds said:
On 4/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, CrystalBlue said:

There were an estimated 22,500 treadmill-related injuries treated at US emergency departments among all ages,

I've been one. Since it's a topic for Small Talk, if anyone is interested and I don't expect it, I'll go there if requested.

Edited to add my take on the stupid Pelotan ads. I assumed (I know) that everyone taking the class with the instructors suddenly and inexplicably changed their name to Pelotan so the instructor wouldn't have to exercise their brains too much.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Laugh 6

2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

If my mother had ever had to chase me around the house trying to get me to eat just one more bite, it would NOT have ended with us back at the table and her smiling as I ate the macaroni and cheese that she definitely would not have indulged my ungrateful ass with after she'd had a long day at work and had already made one dinner.

If my mom had ever chased me around the house over a bite of food, I hope my dad would have steered her toward the psychological help she needed and stepped up to shoulder his share of the parenting load he was clearly neglecting if she was losing her shit over a single bite.

Some of those Kraft commercials feature bratty kids, but in that one it's the mother I think has lost her damn mind.  The kid didn't refuse to eat her vegetables, she just ate one bite less than what Mom wanted, declared she was no longer hungry, and got chased around the house by a lunatic with a loaded fork.

If she really is full, get over it.  If she consistently claims to be full one bite shy of what you want her to eat as a means of asserting some control over her life, be the adult and outsmart her by putting one more portion than you want her to eat on her plate.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Isn't peloton what the mass of riders on the Tour de France, and other races is called? 

Yep, and I didn't know that until the Peloton bike craze put this overpriced machinery on my TV and subsequent discussion let me in on the meaning of its name, but knowing what a group of bike riders is called meant getting a recent Jeopardy! clue, so the influx of commercials isn't completely useless.  Annoying as hell, but not completely useless.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 7

1. I had a single mom so sharing the load wasn't an option. I ate what she made and if I refused to eat it, after stubbornly sitting at the table for a long while I would be sent to bed. She wasn't about to go make me something else that I wanted to eat, especially not overly-processed foods! (My mom was a pot-smoking hippy, although she raised me with much more traditional and firm boundaries. At age 13, my hippy uncle, who is getting high with his 13- and 10-year-old sons, calls me a "square" when I turn down a joint!)

2. The kid in the commercial isn't too full for a big bowl of macaroni and cheese, just for the vegetable(s) before that, apparently.

Does anyone have the Pro-Forma bike? It's $39 a month, which is for a three-year iFit membership and the bike is free. I saw some good reviews scattered around on a few sites but then on a consumer affairs complaint site there were a ton of negative ones and only one positive one. Not that I really have a place to put one but it would be awesome to "bike" down all the virtual trails. I can't always hike and there's nowhere really to walk around right in my neighborhood.