Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts


Quote

Another commercial that I must mute? "We have a clogging problem!" 

I love this commercial!  Along with a Ratt problem.  The aunt problem is not quite as funny, but they are clever.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I love this commercial!  Along with a Ratt problem.  The aunt problem is not quite as funny, but they are clever.

I love the clogging one too. I find it fascinating that they can keep dancing and doing whatever on top of it. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

My ranking for those commercials would be Ratt, clogging, aunts, fencing, but Ratt only edges out clogging because of the hair band nostalgia factor for me.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

OK, I don't think I've ever seen the fencing one, though I think I can figure out how it goes.

I can't stand the Poise commercial where Candace has 'Poise in her pants.'  Every time it comes on I think they are going to say, 'poop in her pants.'

Edited by bankerchick
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

My order is Clogging, Aunts, Fencing, Ratt.  (I'm too old for hair bands LOL)  And I like the Aunts because, I said before, I had the same suitcase Aunt Joanie does.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Ok discovery. Enough of the ads for discovery plus, and the stupid thing in the upper right of the screen incessantly. Annoying as hell. 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that the Ratts band is a real band.

Not sure of the rest of the band but the lead singer is the same.  He has held up well!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Ok discovery. Enough of the ads for discovery plus, and the stupid thing in the upper right of the screen incessantly. Annoying as hell. 

 So much this.   Every. Damn. Commercial break.  I've seen the Mike Rowe and Joanna Gaines commercial at least a dozen times tonight just watching a couple of shows on Food Network.  I instantly mute whenever they go to commercials (which is frequently)  I think Mike Rowe's supposed to be kind of a jerk, but at least somewhat dilfy eye candy.   I can't stand Joanna's ugly mug so even mute doesn't help. 

 Part of why they're airing them so much is because they have shows on that will only be available on pay streaming.   They've made a point that Restaurant Impossible will only air on D+ now.  I hate to tell them, but between their incessant commercials and basically taking away shows they're going to end up driving viewers away.   

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

 So much this.   Every. Damn. Commercial break.  I've seen the Mike Rowe and Joanna Gaines commercial at least a dozen times tonight just watching a couple of shows on Food Network.  I instantly mute whenever they go to commercials (which is frequently)  I think Mike Rowe's supposed to be kind of a jerk, but at least somewhat dilfy eye candy.   I can't stand Joanna's ugly mug so even mute doesn't help. 

 Part of why they're airing them so much is because they have shows on that will only be available on pay streaming.   They've made a point that Restaurant Impossible will only air on D+ now.  I hate to tell them, but between their incessant commercials and basically taking away shows they're going to end up driving viewers away. 

The one with Joanna saying "box this stuff up so I don't have to cook when I get home" works my nerve. Isn't the set her pretend "home kitchen" i.e. she is already at home? And for her to order her minions who undoubtedly cooked all of the food she pretended she made to box it up for her just burns me up. I actually liked her and Chip when Fixer Upper started but boy, the bloom has been off that rose for a long time.

I'm glad they'll be on Discovery+ and I'm also happy to learn that Robert Irvine will be joining them there. Maybe The Pioneer Woman can hitch up her wagon and roll on over there, too!

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Maybe The Pioneer Woman can hitch up her wagon and roll on over there, too!

"I'm Ree Drummond. And while Lad and the boys are castrating steers today, I'm whippin' up a bunch a fun freezer food. Later on I'm going to scare someone with a rubber snake."

Back on topic, for some reason the skinny redhead with her own unique sneeze (Achoo!) in the Walgreens ad irks me to high heaven.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

No, Joanna Gaines' kitchen for the show is in an old Grist Mill, that is in Waco, but it's not at her house.   They had a 'preview' episode showing the remodeling of the kitchen, and the rest of the grist mill.  It also showed how they film safely, and the number of people involved in filming each episode.      Supposedly the Magnolia Network will still take over DIY Network, and then the cooking show will move there.   

Mike Rowe not only did Dirty Jobs, and narrates a ton of Discovery and other documentaries, and series, but he's very popular.   He narrates Deadliest Catch (I hope I got that right), and a lot of other series.       His first TV job was a host on QVC, in the early morning hours.   He also was an opera singer, and in a barbershop quartet.    He also wrote a book about some of his adventures, and the unique people he's met over the years.   His mother, Peggy Rowe, became a published author after 80 years of age (About My Mother, fun book, and About Your Father, about her husband).   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

No, Joanna Gaines' kitchen for the show is in an old Grist Mill, that is in Waco, but it's not at her house.   They had a 'preview' episode showing the remodeling of the kitchen, and the rest of the grist mill.  It also showed how they film safely, and the number of people involved in filming each episode.      Supposedly the Magnolia Network will still take over DIY Network, and then the cooking show will move there.   

Mike Rowe not only did Dirty Jobs, and narrates a ton of Discovery and other documentaries, and series, but he's very popular.   He narrates Deadliest Catch (I hope I got that right), and a lot of other series.       

Rowe was originally supposed to be the on-camera host, and he appeared in taped footage as himself during the first season of shooting. As filming of the first season was nearing completion, Discovery greenlighted production on another Rowe project, Dirty Jobs, under the condition that Rowe chose only one show on which to appear on camera. As Rowe relates the story, Discovery had told him that the two shows would be airing back-to-back on the same night, thus, "We can't have you telling us stories about six dead fishermen on camera and making a fart joke with your arm in a cow's ass."[3] Most of the footage Rowe shot during the first season became part of the first season's "Behind the Scenes" episode. After the third season of Deadliest Catch, Rowe began hosting a post-season behind-the-scenes miniseries entitled After the Catch, which is a roundtable discussion featuring the captains relating their experiences filming the previous season's episodes. A season 3 episode of Dirty Jobs (2007-2008) saw Rowe return to Alaska to take part in a job tangentially related to the fishing industry — diesel fuel spill cleanup. Another episode that same season featured Rowe at work on board the F/V Legacy doing trawl fishing and at-sea shellfish and other seafood processing, during which Rowe made numerous references to the crab fishing of Deadliest Catch.

From Wikipedia

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

for some reason the skinny redhead with her own unique sneeze (Achoo!) in the Walgreens ad irks me to high heaven.

Me too! She looks like a scarecrow, and the way she recklessly throws herself around, I keep thinking she's going to break something. Instead of showing her testing her blood sugar-presumably as a T1 diabetic- they should have had her taking Adderall or something for her hyperactivity.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

My ranking for those commercials would be Ratt, clogging, aunts, fencing, but Ratt only edges out clogging because of the hair band nostalgia factor for me.

For me, it would be Ratt, aunts, clogging, fencing.  Aunts is above clogging only because the clogging one is creepy. The cloggers' expressionlessness bothers me, and it kind of reminds me of that story about the girl whose shoes make her dance uncontrollably. The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

4 hours ago, Ashforth said:

The one with Joanna saying "box this stuff up so I don't have to cook when I get home" works my nerve. Isn't the set her pretend "home kitchen" i.e. she is already at home? And for her to order her minions who undoubtedly cooked all of the food she pretended she made to box it up for her just burns me up. I actually liked her and Chip when Fixer Upper started but boy, the bloom has been off that rose for a long time.

That fucking wink after she she says that, too. I'd probably like her a lot more if it weren't for her husband, who is as obnoxious as fuck. I can't imagine anyone I'd want to be around would put up with him. Also, I like home design shows, but I got tired of theirs soon due to the annoying husband, them calling perfectly decent houses "fixer-uppers," and the fact that all her designs are so similar. At least other designers try to include the homeowners' tastes. I don't need to see her in a cooking show, and the commercials don't do anything to change my mind.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

For me, it would be Ratt, aunts, clogging, fencing.  Aunts is above clogging only because the clogging one is creepy. The cloggers' expressionlessness bothers me, and it kind of reminds me of that story about the girl whose shoes make her dance uncontrollably. The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

Same here. the clogging one bugs me because A. Their dead faces and B. Aren't cloggers supposed to wear, oh I don't know, clogs? Tap shoes are right out.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

That fucking wink after she says that, too... I don't need to see her in a cooking show, and the commercials don't do anything to change my mind.

YES. I realized that I left out the wink as she waltzes away. It just makes her look like that much more of a jerk to me. There is nothing about the ads for this show that make me want to see it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

 

Back on topic, for some reason the skinny redhead with her own unique sneeze (Achoo!) in the Walgreens ad irks me to high heaven.

I can't stand her.  I want to slap her silly. Her husband/boyfriend whatever is hot though. So is Mike Rowe. He's my TV boyfriend. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

. The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

You can definitely have a fence(ing) problem with your house.   Yours is over the property line, neighbor's is on your property, it right on the property line and each owner expects the other to pay to fix it, a neighbor thinks it's their fence and tears it down.   Just watch People's Court.  Fencing cases are a dime a dozen.   I still agree it's the weakest of the lot.   Everyone knows the aunt problem is the best one.  Lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really know why, but I'm kind of annoyed by the McDonald's commercial that has two young women so caught up in eating McDonald's food that they (gasp) unwittingly listen to a few seconds of "Endless Summer Nights" by Richard Marx without changing the station!  I never bought any of his albums and just one single, but his songs used to be on the radio constantly when I was in middle school, and it sort of makes me feel like McDonald's is mocking people my age in an effort to try to get younger people to eat their food.  I guess Marx doesn't mind the mocking of his music though, since he wrote the song and presumably gets paid for this ad!

I also didn't like their previous ad where a guy keeps changing his mind about what he wants at the drive-thru.  He is very annoying, but I do think the car way back in line might have jumped the gun by honking so soon.  He's too far back to hear the guy and know he's constantly changing his mind, so for all he knows, the guy might have just been making a really big order.  I do not know why I gave that any thought.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

He's too far back to hear the guy and know he's constantly changing his mind, so for all he knows, the guy might have just been making a really big order.  I do not know why I gave that any thought.

It's a little different right now since drive-thru is the only option, but during normal times if you have a really big order, go inside.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

You can definitely have a fence(ing) problem with your house.   Yours is over the property line, neighbor's is on your property, it right on the property line and each owner expects the other to pay to fix it, a neighbor thinks it's their fence and tears it down.   Just watch People's Court.  Fencing cases are a dime a dozen.   I still agree it's the weakest of the lot.   Everyone knows the aunt problem is the best one.  Lol

Where my SIL lives, the fences are put up when the houses are built by the builder, so no problem with the walls and property lines. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's a little different right now since drive-thru is the only option, but during normal times if you have a really big order, go inside.  

Back when I worked in fast food, occasionally someone with a big order would call it in ahead of time, so we could have it ready when the arrived(either at the counter or drive-thru).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, Maverick said:

You can definitely have a fence(ing) problem with your house.   Yours is over the property line, neighbor's is on your property, it right on the property line and each owner expects the other to pay to fix it, a neighbor thinks it's their fence and tears it down.   Just watch People's Court.  Fencing cases are a dime a dozen.   I still agree it's the weakest of the lot.   Everyone knows the aunt problem is the best one.  Lol

None of those things are what's in the commercial, though. The neighbors' fencing is on their front porch and in their living room. Even then shittiest neighbor isn't going to bust into your home and erect fencing while you're sitting on your couch.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

And no one has a rock band in their house, clogging neighbors upstairs, and is run over by an abundance of aunts. The fencing scenario makes perfect sense to me.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Having trouble with the quote feature, but I can't love the comments below enough!!! When those ads come on, I can't grab the remote fast enough to press the mute button!!! Both the Folger's and the Flo and family ads...all of them!!!

  ON DECEMBER 28, 2020 AT 11:39 AM, PEACHESLATOUR SAID:
The new Folger's commercial singer's voice make want to jam railroad spikes into my eardrums.

Since when is screaming like a stuck pig considered singing?  I absolutely hate the Folgers singer.

The other one I can’t stand is Flo’s family singing Danny Boy.  It’s nails on a chalkboard to me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The latest Geico ad has the homeowners purchasing an old house that has pipes making a strange noise. I can only take but so much bagpipe music.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Experian Credit Boost commercials crack me up. "Ooh, I raised my credit score by 16 points!" Out of what? Like 850? It's like spitting in the ocean.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

Yeah, that one is pretty funny.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2021 at 10:04 AM, chessiegal said:

And no one has a rock band in their house, clogging neighbors upstairs, and is run over by an abundance of aunts. The fencing scenario makes perfect sense to me.

The difference, to me, is that Ratt is in the basement, where actual rats would be; the aunts are all over the house and coming uncontrollably, like actual ants; and the clogging is happening in the upstairs neighbors' apartment, which can actually affect the downstairs apartment. Correspondingly, the neighbors' fencing should only be where actual fencing would be, which is not inside someone else's home.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

And just imagine how much more satisfying the ad would be were they use the beard gag to announce the permanent shaving off of Flo from the ads or 'Net pop ups! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

That flew right over my head until you pointed it out!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

This has been covered, I think, but the ads (for what, I don't even know) featuring the fat old fart. showing people how not to turn into their parents has got to go.  I'm 66 and don't exhibit any of those behaviors/traits...nor did my parents!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

This has been covered, I think, but the ads (for what, I don't even know) featuring the fat old fart. showing people how not to turn into their parents has got to go.  I'm 66 and don't exhibit any of those behaviors/traits...nor did my parents!

But I bet you know some people who do.  If your parents didn't do any of those things and you don't either, maybe you DID turn into your parents.  LOL

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/8/2021 at 4:17 PM, Ashforth said:

YES. I realized that I left out the wink as she waltzes away. It just makes her look like that much more of a jerk to me. There is nothing about the ads for this show that make me want to see it. 

I HATE this commercial!   And while it very well may be a waltz I see it as a weird almost slo-mo walk of a lumbering ogre.  It took me aback when I first saw it bc while I don’t really know her or watch her shows I gather she’s a person who personifies “perfection” and I can’t believe she green lit that promo it’s so bad. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But I bet you know some people who do.  If your parents didn't do any of those things and you don't either, maybe you DID turn into your parents.  LOL

I love those commercials. I finally got to see the one where he throws away the "live, laugh, love" sign. No offense but I don't need my walls to tell me how to feel. My aunt had the Serenity Prayer on her bathroom wall. Depressed me every time I went in there.

  • Like 17
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I finally got to see the one where he throws away the "live, laugh, love" sign.

I HATE those things! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

My order is Clogging, Aunts, Fencing, Ratt.  (I'm too old for hair bands LOL)  And I like the Aunts because, I said before, I had the same suitcase Aunt Joanie does.

That's my order too.

On 1/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, janie jones said:

For me, it would be Ratt, aunts, clogging, fencing.  Aunts is above clogging only because the clogging one is creepy. The cloggers' expressionlessness bothers me, and it kind of reminds me of that story about the girl whose shoes make her dance uncontrollably.

"The Red Shoes," by Hans Christian Anderson. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Shoes_(fairy_tale)

21 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Progressive has yet another video chat with Flo and the gang commercial, commemorating the Covid pandemic.  This time Jamie is the featured goofball, bragging about his beard that he's been growing.  The other white guy on the team asks if Jamie even knows what a beard is.  It's pretty hysterical for an insurance ad, once you realize the hidden meaning!  😛

I never even got that.

Big on my current hate list is the Popeyes commercials where the guy sings because he got Popeyes delivered. His voice is so freaking annoying. I see it ad nauseum on the streaming sites I watch. There is a newer one now, with a woman, who is so much better. The concept is still annoying, however.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Big on my current hate list is the Popeyes commercials where the guy sings because he got Popeyes delivered. His voice is so freaking annoying. I see it ad nauseum on the streaming sites I watch. There is a newer one now, with a woman, who is so much better. The concept is still annoying, however.

Mine is the Candy Crush one with the terrible screaming song. I hear that fucking thing in my sleep.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But I bet you know some people who do.  If your parents didn't do any of those things and you don't either, maybe you DID turn into your parents.  LOL

Lol! Good point! I would love to be half as good as either of them, though!

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too.

Add me to that list!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

This has been covered, I think, but the ads (for what, I don't even know) featuring the fat old fart. showing people how not to turn into their parents has got to go.  I'm 66 and don't exhibit any of those behaviors/traits...nor did my parents!

Aww, I think they are hilarious.  And I'm rethinking the "rise and shine" sign I have above my coffee bar.  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/8/2021 at 1:24 PM, janie jones said:

The Fencing one is the worst because it doesn't make sense -- why would your neighbors' fencing be in your yard or inside your house?

When I see it, I think the problem is with their fencing, not their neighbors. If their fencing was better, the neighbors wouldn't be in their yard.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

When I see it, I think the problem is with their fencing, not their neighbors. If their fencing was better, the neighbors wouldn't be in their yard.

I thought they were fencing next door in their own yard, but that the yards are relatively small.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought they were fencing next door in their own yard, but that the yards are relatively small.

They were fencing inside the neighbors house.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm actually looking forward to the next Geico 'don't turn into your parents' episode; I find them all very entertaining. 

Re. the discussion up top about the most annoying jingle, I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but SKYRIZZI! And now they've redone the 'song' with a different female singer who wobbles and scoops all over the place:

 Ugh Skyrizzi 

Aargh- the way she sings 'plan'! I can't believe they managed to make this even more insufferable.

  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I'm actually looking forward to the next Geico 'don't turn into your parents' episode; I find them all very entertaining. 

Re. the discussion up top about the most annoying jingle, I'm sure it's been mentioned many times, but SKYRIZZI! And now they've redone the 'song' with a different female singer who wobbles and scoops all over the place:

 Ugh Skyrizzi 

Aargh- the way she sings 'plan'! I can't believe they managed to make this even more insufferable.

I know right? It's still just as gawdawful as it ever was. Instant mute.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size