Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:10 PM, Gramto6 said:

New peeve here. The Bullet commercial showing bartenders flinging bottles and long pouring. The end line is "let's keep our bartenders barring"...  um no,. let's keep them "tending bar". 

I hate them showing the guy pumping gas like he's pouring someone's drink.  That's fucking dangerous, you asshole.

18 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Why is she a bitch?  She was wearing a nice dress and the guy looked like a fucking slob.  He's telling her that he doesn't care, that she's not important enough to dress up for.  He's lucky she didn't walk out.  What should she have done? 

I always thought she was being pretty kind, actually trying her best to say something nice about him since he'd complimented her.  So I'm with you on her not being a passive-aggressive bitch.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 7:00 AM, Ubiquit0us said:

Oh, I hate that Buick/Alexa commercial in which someone is actually arguing that the car is an "Alexa"...  Were these people recently kicked in the head by a mule?

I'm going to say that to the tv the next that commercial airs.  Because they really sound that stupid.

22 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

I've never made more than a dozen, but they are a pain in the ass to peel.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never made more than a dozen, but they are a pain in the ass to peel.

If you boil old eggs, they peel like a banana.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

If you boil old eggs, they peel like a banana.

I've used old ones and new ones, and it's been hit or miss no matter the age of the eggs.  But maybe I'll try steaming them like chessiegal suggested.  I suppose I could buy one of those gadgets from the commercial, though. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've used old ones and new ones, and it's been hit or miss no matter the age of the eggs.  But maybe I'll try steaming them like chessiegal suggested.  I suppose I could buy one of those gadgets from the commercial, though. 😉

They're easily peeled if you drop them in  a jar of water and shake it.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would happily pull the switch in the gas chamber if the Differin 'excuse' girl, Doug and/or the emu were in it. 

Although the new LiMu ad with them playing volley ball on a beach made me laugh when the emu sat down on the volleyball like he(?) was trying to hatch it. Shock! I always assumed the emu was a male.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've used old ones and new ones, and it's been hit or miss no matter the age of the eggs.  But maybe I'll try steaming them like chessiegal suggested.  I suppose I could buy one of those gadgets from the commercial, though. 😉

I wouldn't buy the gadget. I considered it, but when I saw the principle was based on steaming, I remembered that both Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen recommend putting your eggs in a steamer basket and steaming in a pot. I put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking and make them cool enough to peel and use. Using old eggs was hit and miss for me too, but steaming never fails.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

I would happily pull the switch in the gas chamber if the Differin 'excuse' girl, Doug and/or the emu were in it. 

Although the new LiMu ad with them playing volley ball on a beach made me laugh when the emu sat down on the volleyball like he(?) was trying to hatch it. Shock! I always assumed the emu was a male.

I like the Differin girl. "Are you tired of making spaghetti for your hamster?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I also like the Differin girl.  She has a very interesting tonal quality to her voice, and some of the "excuses" she comes up with are hilarious.  

As for the "bartenders barring" ad, sorry, but throwing bottles around and showing off trick pouring skills are not bartending.  Making all kinds of wonderful drink concoctions well, and being friendly and welcoming to your customers, is good bartending.  I hate all that Tom Cruise-in-Cocktail-movie performative shit. 

Edited by mousegirl
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

I also like the Differin girl.  She has a very interesting tonal quality to her voice, and some of the "excuses" she comes up with are hilarious.  

I like that woman, too.  I love her delivery, and I especially love the excuses.  The ones about her cat are my favorite, but I also love the raccoon outside her door, jury duty at night, making spaghetti for her hamster, her door being glued shut, and "you know, I'm trying to be less popular these days".

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

There’s a ”Libbity” Mutual ad with Doug and the emu at a beach. It looks like Doug is trying to explain a football strategy to the emu, but the bird has its head in the sand. I thought ostriches buried their heads in the sand. Why are they showing an emu doing this?  What is Doug drawing in the sand?  I think I’m losing it...

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

There’s a ”Libbity” Mutual ad with Doug and the emu at a beach. It looks like Doug is trying to explain a football strategy to the emu, but the bird has its head in the sand. I thought ostriches buried their heads in the sand. Why are they showing an emu doing this?  What is Doug drawing in the sand?  I think I’m losing it...

i commented about this one somewhere upthread — neither emus nor ostriches bury their heads in the sand.  But it’s a beach volleyball strategy Doug is explaining.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

i commented about this one somewhere upthread — neither emus nor ostriches bury their heads in the sand.  But it’s a beach volleyball strategy Doug is explaining.

Thank you for explaining.  (I'm) Once a nerd, always a nerd, I guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

Wait, you can make hardboiled eggs in an oven? 😲

On 9/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, janie jones said:

I saw that commercial dozens of time before I realized the driver was Brie Larson. (It doesn't help that the only think I've ever seen her in is Room so I didn't recognize her made up.) Even at the end of the commercial when the passenger goes "Brie! Brie! Brie!" I thought she was saying "Breathe!"

Oh, her... I cannot stand her.

On 9/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, Neurochick said:

Why is she a bitch?  She was wearing a nice dress and the guy looked like a fucking slob.  He's telling her that he doesn't care, that she's not important enough to dress up for.  He's lucky she didn't walk out.  What should she have done? 

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt. I'm not making excuses for him dressing shabby, but that's so "mean girl". I bet she ditched him when he went to the bathroom or while pretending to goto the bathroom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

"Let's brain better."

Let's not, commercial. Because brain is not a frigging verb.

So you're saying let's commercial better!

Quote

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt.

I didn't read it as passive aggressive. Team #notabitch

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also like the Differin girl.  She has a very interesting tonal quality to her voice, and some of the "excuses" she comes up with are hilarious.  

I like her too, but the cadence in her voice is a bit grating

Share this post


Link to post

  ON 9/28/2020 AT 12:44 PM, ILOVECOMPUTERS SAID:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

 

And why didn't the guy in the Egg Pod commercial shave? He looks like a dirty 1980's Don Johnson wanna be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt. I'm not making excuses for him dressing shabby, but that's so "mean girl". I bet she ditched him when he went to the bathroom or while pretending to goto the bathroom. 

So she should have just kept her mouth shut and said nothing, even though he was dressed like a slob.  I guess she should have been lucky to have a date with a MAN.  

I don't get how that was "mean girl" at all.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think she's being a raging jackass about it, but there's no one holding a gun to her head forcing her to make a comment on her date's appearance either. He showed up with a shirt that has a stretched neck, not splattered with mud or dressed in rags.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think she's passive-aggressive as much as it was a foot-in-mouth moment. She should have just stuck with "thanks" or "thanks, you, too." But her mouth went faster than her brain and she started complimenting his looks before she realized she had nothing to compliment and ended being awkward. It comes off as unintentional rudeness, to me. Not "bitchy" or "mean girl" at all. I don't think anything about her tone indicates snideness or being passive aggressive. (It still annoys me, though.)

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

So she should have just kept her mouth shut and said nothing, even though he was dressed like a slob.  I guess she should have been lucky to have a date with a MAN.  

When you put it that way, I'd have to say yes, she should have kept her mouth shut and said nothing. If I don't like what someone is wearing, I keep my opinion to myself. As I said above, I don't think she meant to call attention to him looking like a slob, but I don't think it would have been very appropriate for her to have deliberately done so.

I don't think she's being a raging jackass about it, but there's no one holding a gun to her head forcing her to make a comment on her date's appearance either. He showed up with a shirt that has a stretched neck, not splattered with mud or dressed in rags.

That's exactly how I feel.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, janie jones said:

But her mouth went faster than her brain and she started complimenting his looks before she realized she had nothing to compliment and ended being awkward.

She pauses and takes in his appearance before she starts speaking, so it doesn't play that way to me. 

I don't think she's rude; she comes up with the only nice thing she can say about his appearance - he looks really comfortable.  She says it with a smile, like she's happy she came up with something nice to say in return.  He'd just taken off his sweater as they sat down, and didn't realize his shirt looked so awful.  Her hesitation as she took in his appearance caused him to look down and realize what she was seeing, at which point he was embarrassed, but she found something nice to say.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

When you put it that way, I'd have to say yes, she should have kept her mouth shut and said nothing. If I don't like what someone is wearing, I keep my opinion to myself. As I said above, I don't think she meant to call attention to him looking like a slob, but I don't think it would have been very appropriate for her to have deliberately done so.

He started the conversation by commenting on how she looked.  Then she spoke.  She didn't say, "you look like shit."  She said, "And you look....comfortable."  If she said nothing that could have been perceived as rude, she said to say something.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. There are so many things wrong with this commercial I have no words. Why do they waste time giving flowers to mom? Why doesn't daughter just go over to Charlie and whisper in his ear? Dad isn't sitting that far away from horny daughter either. So it's hard to demonstrate how good this particular hearing aid is because daughter was whispering rather loudly, I thought. CONDOMS, Charlie!!! AARRRGGGHHH

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Eh, I wouldn’t have been that nice. I would have flat out asked him what was up with the shirt. 

Me too. I'be like "shit dude, what happened to you?"

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. There are so many things wrong with this commercial I have no words. Why do they waste time giving flowers to mom? Why doesn't daughter just go over to Charlie and whisper in his ear? Dad isn't sitting that far away from horny daughter either. So it's hard to demonstrate how good this particular hearing aid is because daughter was whispering rather loudly, I thought. CONDOMS, Charlie!!! AARRRGGGHHH

"CONDOMS, ROSE! CONDOMS, CONDOMS, CONDOMS!"

"Calm down, lady. Did you just get out of prison?"

  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. There are so many things wrong with this commercial I have no words. Why do they waste time giving flowers to mom? Why doesn't daughter just go over to Charlie and whisper in his ear? Dad isn't sitting that far away from horny daughter either. So it's hard to demonstrate how good this particular hearing aid is because daughter was whispering rather loudly, I thought. CONDOMS, Charlie!!! AARRRGGGHHH

I haven't seen this commercial, but why would she even need to know that right that second?  Are they staying with her parents?  Maybe take the night off from condom-related activities.  Especially with dad's new super hearing aid.  OK, he probably takes it off to sleep, but still.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I haven't seen this commercial, but why would she even need to know that right that second?  Are they staying with her parents?  Maybe take the night off from condom-related activities.  Especially with dad's new super hearing aid.  OK, he probably takes it off to sleep, but still.

First, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. I see it all the time. Maybe it's the retro channels I watch, because it's clearly aimed at us old folks. They say if you have Medicare, it's probably no cost to you. Second, yes, they are spending the weekend with her parents. "Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought your condoms" says dad as he's reading in the next room. The ad ends with the couple heading into the bedroom at night time, Dad is still reading in the same chair. As they enter the bedroom, he pulls the hearing aid out. I think it's funny. But I would never in a million years have sex in my parents hone while visiting. It is the only ad for this product, Eargo, that they have. Either they only had the budget for one ad, or they figured they had a winner, so why make different ones.

Eargo hearing aids

 

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt.

I think it would have been more passive aggressive if she had not returned a compliment.  The standard reply to "you look nice" is generally "thanks, you do too."

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. There are so many things wrong with this commercial I have no words. Why do they waste time giving flowers to mom? Why doesn't daughter just go over to Charlie and whisper in his ear? Dad isn't sitting that far away from horny daughter either. So it's hard to demonstrate how good this particular hearing aid is because daughter was whispering rather loudly, I thought. CONDOMS, Charlie!!! AARRRGGGHHH

Maybe she should have called them “fruit bowls.”

Edited by smittykins
  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

First, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. I see it all the time. Maybe it's the retro channels I watch, because it's clearly aimed at us old folks. They say if you have Medicare, it's probably no cost to you. Second, yes, they are spending the weekend with her parents. "Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought your condoms" says dad as he's reading in the next room. The ad ends with the couple heading into the bedroom at night time, Dad is still reading in the same chair. As they enter the bedroom, he pulls the hearing aid out. I think it's funny. But I would never in a million years have sex in my parents hone while visiting. It is the only ad for this product, Eargo, that they have. Either they only had the budget for one ad, or they figured they had a winner, so why make different ones.

Eargo hearing aids

 

I have never seen the extended version with the nighttime activity. My commercial just ends with Charlie saying yes, he brought the condoms and daughter furiously grimacing at him. I have seen this literally 50 times and I hate it more every time.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/30/2020 at 7:36 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"CONDOMS, ROSE! CONDOMS, CONDOMS, CONDOMS!"

"Calm down, lady. Did you just get out of prison?"

I love you. Anyone who quotes GG is my favorite person. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, Brattinella said:

There is a commercial that is breaking the law: Inogen, the product that makes oxygen.  Their commercial's is at least 25% louder dBa than is allowed by law.  Our TV volume is never changed, except for this horrid jarring ad!  I know it sounds petty, but it is annoying.  I don't know who to report it to.

 

Probably been answered already, but here is the link to the FCC page detailing the CALM Act and how to report too-loud commercials:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

I also like to call them out on Twitter at @FCC.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Eh, I wouldn’t have been that nice. I would have flat out asked him what was up with the shirt. 

Yeah, I do scratch my head over him seeming to not notice the state of that "comfortable looking" tshirt.

 

16 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I really really really hate the hearing aid commercial where the boyfriend and girlfriend are visiting her parents. First, we learn they give Mrs. Whozit (she actually has a last name) flowers. She loves them and goes to put them in water. Then, daughter at that moment, must find out if boyfriend has remembered the condoms. She mouths Did you remember the condoms?Condom talk in the kitchen in the middle of the day. Mom is there. You can see her puttering around. Boyfriend is unable to understand daughter's quiet desperation to know if they have condoms! Condors, he asks? Condors? No, what...no, condoms, she whispers. Boyfriend still doesn't understand. He's still thinking of the majestic Californian scavenger, I suppose. Wait...Dad, sitting in the living room on the Barcalounger, ends daughter's despair and tells boyfriend, Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought CONDOMS. Daughter dies of embarrassment, made worse by hapless boyfriend saying, Yes, I did! Hilarity ensues. (No, it doesn't) Daughter doesn't know Dad, who we didn't know used a hearing aid, upgraded his hearing aid so he can hear whispered speech from far away. 

Heh. Remember when these commercials used to promote using those super hearing aids as a way to eavesdrop on people?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Heh. Remember when these commercials used to promote using those super hearing aids as a way to eavesdrop on people?

I do! Users could hear what their neighbors were saying from across the street. 

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, TheCrankyCreative said:

Probably been answered already, but here is the link to the FCC page detailing the CALM Act and how to report too-loud commercials:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

I also like to call them out on Twitter at @FCC.

Just after I read this a commercial for Inogen came on - cue the spooky music. It wasn't at an increased volume however. 😄

Share this post


Link to post

  19 HOURS AGO, KATY M SAID:

I haven't seen this commercial, but why would she even need to know that right that second?  Are they staying with her parents?  Maybe take the night off from condom-related activities.  Especially with dad's new super hearing aid.  OK, he probably takes it off to sleep, but still.

First, I'm surprised you haven't seen it. I see it all the time. Maybe it's the retro channels I watch, because it's clearly aimed at us old folks. They say if you have Medicare, it's probably no cost to you. Second, yes, they are spending the weekend with her parents. "Condoms, Charlie, she wants to know if you brought your condoms" says dad as he's reading in the next room. The ad ends with the couple heading into the bedroom at night time, Dad is still reading in the same chair. As they enter the bedroom, he pulls the hearing aid out. I think it's funny. But I would never in a million years have sex in my parents hone while visiting. It is the only ad for this product, Eargo, that they have. Either they only had the budget for one ad, or they figured they had a winner, so why make different ones.

Eargo hearing aids

 

Now they have 2 newer ads on the old folks channel: one where there are 2 contestants on what looks like a 1970's game show where they have to guess the price of the hearing aids to win a set and one where they show 3 old devices including a gramophone-type device. The announcer says that these were once the future and now Eargo is the future, which is stupid because Eargo is in the present.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Darlabutterfly said:

one where they show 3 old devices including a gramophone-type device.

man I'm not yet hearing-aid age, but gramophone? Even my 90 year old father was not a gramophone person AFAIK

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, dleighg said:

man I'm not yet hearing-aid age, but gramophone? Even my 90 year old father was not a gramophone person AFAIK

They were called ear trumpets. Turn of the last century.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/30/2020 at 7:44 PM, Neurochick said:

He started the conversation by commenting on how she looked.  Then she spoke.  She didn't say, "you look like shit."  She said, "And you look....comfortable."  If she said nothing that could have been perceived as rude, she said to say something.

But this commercial is about using a product that won't have his tee look like this, so how else to show it?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The problem is them using a date to depict this defective shirt. The way to prevent this would’ve been for the guy to have some self awareness while getting ready for a date and not putting on a shirt that made him look like a shitbag. A better circumstance would’ve been maybe a family barbecue, where it would’ve made more sense for him to have not paid attention to his attire. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The problem is them using a date to depict this defective shirt. The way to prevent this would’ve been for the guy to have some self awareness while getting ready for a date and not putting on a shirt that made him look like a shitbag. A better circumstance would’ve been maybe a family barbecue, where it would’ve made more sense for him to have not paid attention to his attire. 

I agree. I don't think anybody would get ready for a first date with someone they're excited about getting to know would walk out of the house looking like that.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The problem is them using a date to depict this defective shirt. The way to prevent this would’ve been for the guy to have some self awareness while getting ready for a date and not putting on a shirt that made him look like a shitbag. A better circumstance would’ve been maybe a family barbecue, where it would’ve made more sense for him to have not paid attention to his attire. 

I don't think the ad would have the impact (as seen by the amount of commentary here,) if he had shown up at a family or friend's gathering looking like that. The impact is how embarrassing it is to show up at an event where first impressions matter looking unkempt. I think the ad is spot on.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. I don't think anybody would get ready for a first date with someone they're excited about getting to know would walk out of the house looking like that.

You'd be surprised.  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

You'd be surprised.  

Yeah, I guess I've been married too long. I remember to this day what my DH wore on out first date. A safety orange down jacket, a yellow Mickey Mouse t shirt and brown jeans. Oh, and platform shoes. I thought "I really like this guy but I can see right now I'm going to have to dress him if I'm going to be dating him." I was used to going out with older men who wore Cardin suites and Ralph Loren polos. It turned out great. Although he has a pair of Levi's that probably came from the Clinton administration. Anyway I feel sorry for the kid in that commercial, he's obviously mortified.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I guess I've been married too long. I remember to this day what my DH wore on out first date. A safety orange down jacket, a yellow Mickey Mouse t shirt and brown jeans. Oh, and platform shoes. I thought "I really like this guy but I can see right now I'm going to have to dress him if I'm going to be dating him." I was used to going out with older men who wore Cardin suites and Ralph Loren polos. It turned out great. Although he has a pair of Levi's that probably came from the Clinton administration. Anyway I feel sorry for the kid in that commercial, he's obviously mortified.

LOL.  However IMO a woman shouldn't have to "build a bear," if she wants a relationship.  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

LOL.  However IMO a woman shouldn't have to "build a bear," if she wants a relationship.  

We were both very young and his mom was still buying his clothes. She managed the local Sears store so you can imagine her sense of style.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

We were both very young and his mom was still buying his clothes. She managed the local Sears store so you can imagine her sense of style.

image.gif.aec1926e4e78fbd669e125dfc5e030f7.gif

  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size