Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

On 9/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, ctlady said:

And PLEASE stop with the Buick/Alexa commercials that continue to target lazy, self-absorbed douche-waddles."  "Alexa....I'm too busy putting my diamond earrings in - start my Buick" Oh, and the kid with the driver's ed teacher using the auto-steer to parallel park.  I'd fail his rear-end and made sure he'd never get a license. 

Oh, I hate that Buick/Alexa commercial in which someone is actually arguing that the car is an "Alexa"...  Were these people recently kicked in the head by a mule?

 

On 9/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, mmecorday said:

For a while there was a prescription drug that used (or is it abused) Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" in its TV ads. Now there's an equally terrible version of that song being used in Xfinity's current TV ad campaign. And then there's the matter of the woman on horse back riding through a city street like she's Rick Grimes. WTF?

For some reason, I dislike the 1970's-looking girl trimming a Bonzai tree.

 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commercials just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video conference with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

I thought they began to phase Alec out of the Shriner commercials when they introduced the new younger and cuter kid arriving for the first time.

 

On 9/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ashforth said:

Back to the hate... the Delta commercial with the guy dancing in the shower is back, and I hate it as much now as I did before. The guy grosses me out. It starts with that weird move he does with his shoulders at the beginning (is an alien going to pop out of his back?). Does he ever use any soap? At the end, with his hair hanging in his face, he still looks dirty. Ugh.

I think he's kinda hot.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:
On 9/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, ctlady said:

And PLEASE stop with the Buick/Alexa commercials that continue to target lazy, self-absorbed douche-waddles."  "Alexa....I'm too busy putting my diamond earrings in - start my Buick" Oh, and the kid with the driver's ed teacher using the auto-steer to parallel park.  I'd fail his rear-end and made sure he'd never get a license. 

Oh, I hate that Buick/Alexa commercial in which someone is actually arguing that the car is an "Alexa"...  Were these people recently kicked in the head by a mule?

 

On 9/18/2020 at 3:29 PM, mmecorday said:

For a while there was a prescription drug that used (or is it abused) Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" in its TV ads. Now there's an equally terrible version of that song being used in Xfinity's current TV ad campaign. And then there's the matter of the woman on horse back riding through a city street like she's Rick Grimes. WTF?

For some reason, I dislike the 1970's-looking girl trimming a Bonzai tree.

 

On 9/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, BigBingerBro said:

Alec and Caleb from Shriner's Hospitals have done some new commercials.  Note:  I have nothing against Shriner's hospital nor the kids themselves, but these commercials just grate on my last nerve.

The new social distancing Internet meeting commercial features a manic Caleb totally over-acting via video conference with a somewhat subdued Alec.  I do wonder if they are planning on phasing Alec out at some point.

I thought they began to phase Alec out of the Shriner commercials when they introduced the new younger and cuter kid arriving for the first time.

 

On 9/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ashforth said:

Back to the hate... the Delta commercial with the guy dancing in the shower is back, and I hate it as much now as I did before. The guy grosses me out. It starts with that weird move he does with his shoulders at the beginning (is an alien going to pop out of his back?). Does he ever use any soap? At the end, with his hair hanging in his face, he still looks dirty. Ugh.

I think he's kinda hot.

I'm in awe that a human being can move like that. I find it impressive.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm in awe that a human being can move like that. I find it impressive.

Doing a split naked on a wet tiled surface, no less. Indeed.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

"Lenscrafters.  Because sight." 

I've noticed that sort of pattern lately. "Because this is how you digital." "This is how to office."

Yuk

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

The Geico commercial where the new homeowner goes up to the attic and it’s filled with all kinds of mannequin body parts.  That thing totally freaks me out and is beyond creepy.  

  • Like 7
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate all of the fruit bowl commercials, but really hate the one with the two Moms asking which of them wanted to have kids.   

I like that one, and the one where the parents are using "fruit bowl" in place of curse words (since the kids are always around now).  In fact, the next time one of my football teams does something stupid today, I think I'll yell, "Guys!  What the fruit bowl?!"

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

23 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Geico commercial where the new homeowner goes up to the attic and it’s filled with all kinds of mannequin body parts.  That thing totally freaks me out and is beyond creepy.  

I feel the same way about the Geico witch commercial. It's creepy and has nothing to do with insurance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've noticed in the "We have aunts" everyone (except Aunt Joanie outside the house) is wearing some shade of aqua, as is the decor.  I still don't understand what Mr. Winkle being named after George Washington has to do with anything in the world, much less insurance.

 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"Let's brain better."

Let's not, commercial. Because brain is not a frigging verb.

Anyone who learns English as a second language has my undying admiration...especially if they watch American TV.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve gone back several pages but haven’t seen mentioned the “fruit bowls” commercial with the SCREAMING CHILDREN and two women sitting on the couch. The one woman asks the other if having fruit bowls was her (the other woman’s) idea. No reason either of them cannot maintain some sort of order in that household, even if it means the little darlings have to go to their rooms until they can conduct themselves like sane humans. Hate all the fruit bowls commercials. 

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I’ve gone back several pages but haven’t seen mentioned the “fruit bowls” commercial with the SCREAMING CHILDREN and two women sitting on the couch.

Scroll up about half a dozen posts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I’ve gone back several pages but haven’t seen mentioned the “fruit bowls” commercial with the SCREAMING CHILDREN and two women sitting on the couch. The one woman asks the other if having fruit bowls was her (the other woman’s) idea. No reason either of them cannot maintain some sort of order in that household, even if it means the little darlings have to go to their rooms until they can conduct themselves like sane humans. Hate all the fruit bowls commercials. 

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

A friend of mine told me about her mother being asked to make potato salad for some church function. She said okay and the next day they dropped off twenty pounds of potatoes and twelve dozen eggs. That's the only thing I can think of.

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

Ugh, the passive-aggressive bitch who tells the guy she's dating his tshirt "looks comfortable" is back. Granted, he should know he looks like a slob, but really, how rude is it to say that after he complements you?

Both of those people irritate me. The lady could have left it at "thank you," and did the guy get dressed with his eyes closed?

On 9/24/2020 at 8:30 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

I hate that one. Am I supposed to know who the bitch barking orders at the woman who was passed over for a promotion to get in her car is? So annoying.

I saw that commercial dozens of time before I realized the driver was Brie Larson. (It doesn't help that the only think I've ever seen her in is Room so I didn't recognize her made up.) Even at the end of the commercial when the passenger goes "Brie! Brie! Brie!" I thought she was saying "Breathe!"

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Ugh, the passive-aggressive bitch who tells the guy she's dating his tshirt "looks comfortable" is back. Granted, he should know he looks like a slob, but really, how rude is it to say that after he complements you?

Why is she a bitch?  She was wearing a nice dress and the guy looked like a fucking slob.  He's telling her that he doesn't care, that she's not important enough to dress up for.  He's lucky she didn't walk out.  What should she have done? 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, Ubiquit0us said:

Ugh, the passive-aggressive bitch who tells the guy she's dating his tshirt "looks comfortable" is back. Granted, he should know he looks like a slob, but really, how rude is it to say that after he complements you?

 

And it's a FIRST DATE.  He should put in some damn effort. As for the girl, she was probably taught that when someone gives you a compliment, you should return the compliment, and that was the best she could do, since he couldn't be bothered to at least put on a shirt with a collar.  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And it's a FIRST DATE.  He should put in some damn effort. As for the girl, she was probably taught that when someone gives you a compliment, you should return the compliment, and that was the best she could do, since he couldn't be bothered to at least put on a shirt with a collar.  

He was wearing a sweater over the crappy shirt but then was dumb enough to take it off.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

He was wearing a sweater over the crappy shirt but then was dumb enough to take it off.

That's even worse.  No second date for him!  🙂

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Why is she a bitch?  She was wearing a nice dress and the guy looked like a fucking slob.  He's telling her that he doesn't care, that she's not important enough to dress up for.  He's lucky she didn't walk out.  What should she have done? 

I thought she was fairly diplomatic.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The Geico commercial where the new homeowner goes up to the attic and it’s filled with all kinds of mannequin body parts.  That thing totally freaks me out and is beyond creepy.  

On 9/27/2020 at 7:49 PM, kathyk24 said:

I feel the same way about the Geico witch commercial. It's creepy and has nothing to do with insurance.

These are part of their Halloween (or Geico-ween) themed episodes, along with the one with Casper the ghost and the one that is the movie spoof with kids at scary house (Why can’t we just take the running car?)

Edited by elle
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎09‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 10:10 PM, Gramto6 said:

New peeve here. The Bullet commercial showing bartenders flinging bottles and long pouring. The end line is "let's keep our bartenders barring"...  um no,. let's keep them "tending bar". 

I hate them showing the guy pumping gas like he's pouring someone's drink.  That's fucking dangerous, you asshole.

18 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Why is she a bitch?  She was wearing a nice dress and the guy looked like a fucking slob.  He's telling her that he doesn't care, that she's not important enough to dress up for.  He's lucky she didn't walk out.  What should she have done? 

I always thought she was being pretty kind, actually trying her best to say something nice about him since he'd complimented her.  So I'm with you on her not being a passive-aggressive bitch.

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 7:00 AM, Ubiquit0us said:

Oh, I hate that Buick/Alexa commercial in which someone is actually arguing that the car is an "Alexa"...  Were these people recently kicked in the head by a mule?

I'm going to say that to the tv the next that commercial airs.  Because they really sound that stupid.

22 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

I've never made more than a dozen, but they are a pain in the ass to peel.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never made more than a dozen, but they are a pain in the ass to peel.

If you boil old eggs, they peel like a banana.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

If you boil old eggs, they peel like a banana.

I've used old ones and new ones, and it's been hit or miss no matter the age of the eggs.  But maybe I'll try steaming them like chessiegal suggested.  I suppose I could buy one of those gadgets from the commercial, though. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've used old ones and new ones, and it's been hit or miss no matter the age of the eggs.  But maybe I'll try steaming them like chessiegal suggested.  I suppose I could buy one of those gadgets from the commercial, though. 😉

They're easily peeled if you drop them in  a jar of water and shake it.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I would happily pull the switch in the gas chamber if the Differin 'excuse' girl, Doug and/or the emu were in it. 

Although the new LiMu ad with them playing volley ball on a beach made me laugh when the emu sat down on the volleyball like he(?) was trying to hatch it. Shock! I always assumed the emu was a male.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've used old ones and new ones, and it's been hit or miss no matter the age of the eggs.  But maybe I'll try steaming them like chessiegal suggested.  I suppose I could buy one of those gadgets from the commercial, though. 😉

I wouldn't buy the gadget. I considered it, but when I saw the principle was based on steaming, I remembered that both Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen recommend putting your eggs in a steamer basket and steaming in a pot. I put them in an ice bath to stop the cooking and make them cool enough to peel and use. Using old eggs was hit and miss for me too, but steaming never fails.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

I would happily pull the switch in the gas chamber if the Differin 'excuse' girl, Doug and/or the emu were in it. 

Although the new LiMu ad with them playing volley ball on a beach made me laugh when the emu sat down on the volleyball like he(?) was trying to hatch it. Shock! I always assumed the emu was a male.

I like the Differin girl. "Are you tired of making spaghetti for your hamster?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I also like the Differin girl.  She has a very interesting tonal quality to her voice, and some of the "excuses" she comes up with are hilarious.  

As for the "bartenders barring" ad, sorry, but throwing bottles around and showing off trick pouring skills are not bartending.  Making all kinds of wonderful drink concoctions well, and being friendly and welcoming to your customers, is good bartending.  I hate all that Tom Cruise-in-Cocktail-movie performative shit. 

Edited by mousegirl
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

I also like the Differin girl.  She has a very interesting tonal quality to her voice, and some of the "excuses" she comes up with are hilarious.  

I like that woman, too.  I love her delivery, and I especially love the excuses.  The ones about her cat are my favorite, but I also love the raccoon outside her door, jury duty at night, making spaghetti for her hamster, her door being glued shut, and "you know, I'm trying to be less popular these days".

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

There’s a ”Libbity” Mutual ad with Doug and the emu at a beach. It looks like Doug is trying to explain a football strategy to the emu, but the bird has its head in the sand. I thought ostriches buried their heads in the sand. Why are they showing an emu doing this?  What is Doug drawing in the sand?  I think I’m losing it...

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

There’s a ”Libbity” Mutual ad with Doug and the emu at a beach. It looks like Doug is trying to explain a football strategy to the emu, but the bird has its head in the sand. I thought ostriches buried their heads in the sand. Why are they showing an emu doing this?  What is Doug drawing in the sand?  I think I’m losing it...

i commented about this one somewhere upthread — neither emus nor ostriches bury their heads in the sand.  But it’s a beach volleyball strategy Doug is explaining.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

i commented about this one somewhere upthread — neither emus nor ostriches bury their heads in the sand.  But it’s a beach volleyball strategy Doug is explaining.

Thank you for explaining.  (I'm) Once a nerd, always a nerd, I guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

Wait, you can make hardboiled eggs in an oven? 😲

On 9/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, janie jones said:

I saw that commercial dozens of time before I realized the driver was Brie Larson. (It doesn't help that the only think I've ever seen her in is Room so I didn't recognize her made up.) Even at the end of the commercial when the passenger goes "Brie! Brie! Brie!" I thought she was saying "Breathe!"

Oh, her... I cannot stand her.

On 9/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, Neurochick said:

Why is she a bitch?  She was wearing a nice dress and the guy looked like a fucking slob.  He's telling her that he doesn't care, that she's not important enough to dress up for.  He's lucky she didn't walk out.  What should she have done? 

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt. I'm not making excuses for him dressing shabby, but that's so "mean girl". I bet she ditched him when he went to the bathroom or while pretending to goto the bathroom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

"Let's brain better."

Let's not, commercial. Because brain is not a frigging verb.

So you're saying let's commercial better!

Quote

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt.

I didn't read it as passive aggressive. Team #notabitch

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also like the Differin girl.  She has a very interesting tonal quality to her voice, and some of the "excuses" she comes up with are hilarious.  

I like her too, but the cadence in her voice is a bit grating

Share this post


Link to post

  ON 9/28/2020 AT 12:44 PM, ILOVECOMPUTERS SAID:

What is it lately with all the ads about how difficult it is to make hard boiled eggs?  Saw an air fryer/toaster oven with some random creepy red-bearded guy cooking about 3 dozen hard boiled eggs in the air fryer and I surmised it must be a caterer using it that way, because I’ve never seen so hard boiled eggs in my life. 

 

And why didn't the guy in the Egg Pod commercial shave? He looks like a dirty 1980's Don Johnson wanna be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Ubiquit0us said:

Because, she didn't just graciously accept his complement but made a snide passive-aggressive remark about his tshirt. I'm not making excuses for him dressing shabby, but that's so "mean girl". I bet she ditched him when he went to the bathroom or while pretending to goto the bathroom. 

So she should have just kept her mouth shut and said nothing, even though he was dressed like a slob.  I guess she should have been lucky to have a date with a MAN.  

I don't get how that was "mean girl" at all.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think she's being a raging jackass about it, but there's no one holding a gun to her head forcing her to make a comment on her date's appearance either. He showed up with a shirt that has a stretched neck, not splattered with mud or dressed in rags.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think she's passive-aggressive as much as it was a foot-in-mouth moment. She should have just stuck with "thanks" or "thanks, you, too." But her mouth went faster than her brain and she started complimenting his looks before she realized she had nothing to compliment and ended being awkward. It comes off as unintentional rudeness, to me. Not "bitchy" or "mean girl" at all. I don't think anything about her tone indicates snideness or being passive aggressive. (It still annoys me, though.)

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

So she should have just kept her mouth shut and said nothing, even though he was dressed like a slob.  I guess she should have been lucky to have a date with a MAN.  

When you put it that way, I'd have to say yes, she should have kept her mouth shut and said nothing. If I don't like what someone is wearing, I keep my opinion to myself. As I said above, I don't think she meant to call attention to him looking like a slob, but I don't think it would have been very appropriate for her to have deliberately done so.

I don't think she's being a raging jackass about it, but there's no one holding a gun to her head forcing her to make a comment on her date's appearance either. He showed up with a shirt that has a stretched neck, not splattered with mud or dressed in rags.

That's exactly how I feel.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size