Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The only thing more embarrassing than getting chicken pox at seventeen, is having my mom dab on Calamine Lotion with a maxi pad, because she ran out of cotton balls.  Chicken Pox at that age was brutal. 

Me too!  (The pox at 17, not the maxi pad.)  And it was brutal.  Very painful.

21 hours ago, ctlady said:

Although, the role-reversal commercial with the husband accidentally using his wife's Summer's Eve body wash in the shower, then trying to regain his manliness the rest of the day by pulling a tractor with his teeth, gorging on steak, chopping concrete with his bare hands....etc

Is this real?  Cuz it's pretty funny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

This Papa John's Pappadia commercial is making me nuts. First of all, it's pizza folded over. Second, why is it not spelled "Papadilla"? Third, I hate "melty"! 

I'll see your "melty" and raise you an "ooey gooey"!

I think Papadilla would be too much of a challenge for people to pronounce. Yes, my expectations of the general public are low.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, dleighg said:

do they even make those anymore?

And I cannot forget that (back in that day) was when the whole ozone layer thing came about, and those of us who "cared" switched from spray-on to (I guess-- roller ball? Because had they invented the kind-we-use-now yet? The whatever it is?)

Yeah, they do. I use Mitchum and they still have the ball. I do not have problems with hair getting in it because of shaving but for men I can see how it would be a problem.

Ugh: Curology ad with pizza-face girl. She makes ads for Dr. Pimple Popper look discreet. She also is sporting a nose stud, which just ads to the overall ick factor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

What's wrong with a nose stud?

Her face is already covered with suppurating, angry lumps and sores. Personally, the last thing I'd want in the midst of that skin is a metal pimple, but maybe that's just me.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

"Warsh" is a regional pronunciation.

You guys must be too young to remember the Wausau insurance ads, with the woman who kept saying "Warsaw" and people thought she was referring to a Polish city 🙂

• Laugh 5

15 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

You guys must be too young to remember the Wausau insurance ads, with the woman who kept saying "Warsaw" and people thought she was referring to a Polish city 🙂

I remember that ad.  "That's what I said.  Warsar."

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

In the world of commercials, here is what I'm thankful for today:

I think the eHarmoney woman in the black fedora, sitting in the engine propeller of a jet, yelling "come find meeee" is gone.

And I haven't seen the annoying Meridian Healthcare hag reminding me to "practice kindness and wash my hands".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Her face is already covered with suppurating, angry lumps and sores. Personally, the last thing I'd want in the midst of that skin is a metal pimple, but maybe that's just me.

I mean, OK -- but acne-prone people like jewelry too. Maybe it was pierced before her complexion became an issue for her, and maybe it makes her feel like she has some control over her appearance. (And considering that her condition appears to be very severe, is a tiny, shiny stud going to make it any worse?)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

In the world of commercials, here is what I'm thankful for today:

I think the eHarmoney woman in the black fedora, sitting in the engine propeller of a jet, yelling "come find meeee" is gone.

And I haven't seen the annoying Meridian Healthcare hag reminding me to "practice kindness and wash my hands".

Yes but why oh, why have the Medicare supplemental insurance commercials multiplied like freakin' rabbits?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes but why oh, why have the Medicare supplemental insurance commercials multiplied like freakin' rabbits?

Yeah. Open enrollment begins in October. I dread television in October, between the hateful political ads and then all the Medicare crap... I think I may go hibernate.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Ugh! I grew up in the 70s when Joe Namath was a huge sports star. But I cannot stand his Medicare commercials. Poor dude looks like a jackolantern left out on the front stoop well into November.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 14

3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Ugh! I grew up in the 70s when Joe Namath was a huge sports star. But I cannot stand his Medicare commercials. Poor dude looks like a jackolantern left out on the front stoop well into November.

You'd think someone with his resources could at least get dentures that fit. I can't listen to his mush mouthed mumbling.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You'd think someone with his resources could at least get dentures that fit. I can't listen to his mush mouthed mumbling.

Maybe if he had a big stack o' cash he wouldn't have to do these commercials? Perhaps he blew it all on mink coats.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

On 8/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, icemiser69 said:

Healthy Choice Power Dressing commercial.

Alton Brown should have shaved before being filmed for this commercial.  He looks like he just rolled out of bed.

I'm surprised to learn about Alton Brown doing commercials. He used to rant about how bad our food was, Wendy's in particular, and how corporations were selling us junk food. This happened around the time he started eating healthy and lost a lot of weight.

On 8/26/2020 at 12:08 AM, TattleTeeny said:

This Papa John's Pappadia commercial is making me nuts. First of all, it's pizza folded over. Second, why is it not spelled "Papadilla"? Third, I hate "melty"! 

I blame Taco Bell for starting that "melty" bullshit.

Edited by Ubiquit0us
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ugh! I grew up in the 70s when Joe Namath was a huge sports star. But I cannot stand his Medicare commercials

I don't mind it.  What does bother me is how old I feel seeing these Hollywood/sports studs back in the day now doing old fart commercials.  Namath doing this, Lee Majors doing hearing aids, Tom Selleck doing reverse mortgages and most recent (for me) Eric Roberts doing the walk in bath! 

• Like 10

Yeah, ctlady. Now I know how my mother felt when June Alison started doing those commercials for Depends.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

The Angel Soft with lavender commercial is pissing me off. The woman VO says the scent is in the roll. Does the idiot in the commercial believe her? Hell, no. All this does is serve to remind me that men DO NOT listen to women. He keeps looking all over the place for the scent and she keeps telling him where it is.

• Like 5

Fleet enemas, that apparently work so well everyone dances after they poop.   Trust me, from what I've heard after using Fleet enemas, you won't be dancing, just curled up on the bathroom floor, whimpering. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 11

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Angel Soft with lavender commercial is pissing me off. The woman VO says the scent is in the roll. Does the idiot in the commercial believe her? Hell, no. All this does is serve to remind me that men DO NOT listen to women. He keeps looking all over the place for the scent and she keeps telling him where it is.

Nothing scented should be used in that area. And I don't mean the bathroom, I mean the AREA. You know what I mean.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Nothing scented should be used in that area. And I don't mean the bathroom, I mean the AREA. You know what I mean.

Do you remember when tp came in a rainbow of colors? My mom used to match it to the decor of the room.

• Like 11
  • Surprise 1

"This little light of mine...."

Tired of that commercial.   It is the one for the donations to help in other countries for children with clefts. I have no problem with those little children at all. What I have a problem with is the high pitch of the very start of the commercial and the shitheel kids who laugh, make fun of and ostracize the small victims as they walk away in tears. The music annoys, the bratty kids piss me off , and I'm sad for the children with clefts, all in the span of one commercial. 

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

I hate the Geico ad with the overbearing aunts. Why are we so quick to complain about rude children in ads but not rude adults? The homeowners should kick them out and change the locks.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you remember when tp came in a rainbow of colors?

I do indeed. Strangely enough, in France a few years ago I found pink tp in an friend's bathroom (scratchy, too)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate the Geico ad with the overbearing aunts. Why are we so quick to complain about rude children in ads but not rude adults? The homeowners should kick them out and change the locks.

I think it's funny. Fits right in with their series of people having a clogging problem and a rat problem.

What do you call a group of ants? A colony. What do you call a group of aunts? A book club. 😆

• Like 1
  • Laugh 17

On 8/27/2020 at 12:30 PM, mmecorday said:

yeah, I had a crush on him back in the day, but, now he is pretty unattractive and surely he has enough money to fix his face

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Down there? 😉

• Laugh 4

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Do you remember when tp came in a rainbow of colors? My mom used to match it to the decor of the room.

My mom had some white TP with red roses printed on it. Every time I visited her and used the loo, I thought I had started my period.  Well, at least until menopause. This was in the 90s; I have NO idea where she got printed TP then.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I do indeed. Strangely enough, in France a few years ago I found pink tp in an friend's bathroom (scratchy, too)

When we were in France all the tp was purple. Everywhere we went from Paris up to Normandy. Purple tp. and I swear the whole country smelled like Febreze. I loved it there though. Would move there if I could in a heartbeat.

I hate the GEICO  commercial with Idina Menzel, but maybe it's just her voice. She sounds like a chimpunk on helium.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

I am losing my hair, I wonder if this will solve the problem?

There are so many memory pill commercials, I do wonder if any of the supplements work.  If a certain memory pill also helps my hair grow I am willing to give it a shot.  If everyone ends up with the same hairstyle it will be a hard to tell who's who.

I am tempted to try multiple brands, I just get a little nervous.  No, not that I will get smarter than I am, but I do wonder if swapping from one to another is an okay thing to do.

It would be nice if the commercials would provide more information, and also what makes their product different than the others.   Commercials can be entertaining, but it is more important for them to be informative.

Edited by icemiser69

On 8/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, mmecorday said:

Does David Copperfield still perform magic? If so, could he please make Dax Shepard's "Don't DIY Your Prostate Exam" commercial disappear?

How about he just makes Dax Shepard disappear completely, and take the commercial with him?

On 8/25/2020 at 9:44 AM, ctlady said:

Unless I missed the beginning of the commercial which alluded to that.  I mean - how many 'below-the-belt-manscaping' commercials have there been in the past that led me to NOT connect the word 'bush' with a man's facial beard?  At least it was subtle - and not along the lines of those three swimsuit clad ladies trimming topiaries which strategically cover their crotch.

I'm pretty sure it's referring to manscaping, which definitely is NOT about a facial beard.  But I'd have to watch it again to be sure, and no way.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 3:27 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I mean, OK -- but acne-prone people like jewelry too. Maybe it was pierced before her complexion became an issue for her, and maybe it makes her feel like she has some control over her appearance. (And considering that her condition appears to be very severe, is a tiny, shiny stud going to make it any worse?)

I don't like nose jewelry at all.  I find it gross, given what often comes out of people's noses.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Quality stockings don't come cheap!

You beat me to that one.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:42 AM, ctlady said:

I don't mind it.  What does bother me is how old I feel seeing these Hollywood/sports studs back in the day now doing old fart commercials.  Namath doing this, Lee Majors doing hearing aids, Tom Selleck doing reverse mortgages and most recent (for me) Eric Roberts doing the walk in bath! 

I'm with you on that.  I mean, wasn't it just yesterday that Tom Selleck was romancing Monica on Friends?  (What, it wasn't?  Oh hell.)

I hate the Hidden Valley Ranch Secret Sauce commercial where the woman keeps yelling that she needs more burgers and grabs the tray from her husband.  Why don't you finish the burger you just took one bite out of first, bitch?

• Like 3

I just saw an ad for some kind of food called Devour.  A really angry, ugly-faced man leaps out of the ocean with an open container of the food, which he takes a mouthful of.  The ad is unattractive from beginning to end.  Why does the agency/client think the idea of eating something that has been in the ocean is appealing?  Sand in your sandwiches is bad enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I mean, wasn't it just yesterday that Tom Selleck was romancing Monica on Friends?

You mean when he was romancing that "twinkie in the city"?  🙂 🙂

Okay - I am breaking down and officially making my hate known for the girlfriend in this Humira ad.  First off - she looks like she's freaking 12.  Second, those clunky black ankle boots they dressed her in with those uber-high waist crop jeans look like they weigh more than she does.  But - my shallow observations aside - what I hate, hate HATE about these types of commercials about individuals with medical conditions is how they try  - and fail - to make their significant other come off as 'concerned' when they really come across (to me) as annoying and selfish.  You can practically read the look on her face "Oh, you just got here and I made dinner.......and you have to go to the bathroom?"  "We're at a party and you're supposed to mingle with meeeee, but.....you going to the bathroom - AGAIN?"  "I'm sitting here waiting for you to come meet my parents at their house - you better not be late because you're in the bathroom"  GO.AWAY.

Even the ones with the pouty children whose moms can't play with with them because of their headaches raise my ire.  I get it - they're kids, they don't understand, but I just can't help it.  As someone whose hub has osteo-arthritis I understand that there are limitations to what he can and can't do and don't get all "but what do you mean you can't mow the lawn today?" when he's having a bad pain day - even with the pain meds and vitamins supplements he takes

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Okay - I am breaking down and officially making my hate known for the girlfriend in this Humira ad.  First off - she looks like she's freaking 12. 

I have always thought she looks *really* young -- and it looks like this is a "meet the parents 'cause we're engaged" kind of thing. 

• Like 3

I don't like nose jewelry at all.  I find it gross, given what often comes out of people's noses.

Oh, fair enough, of course. But clearly the girl in the commercial doesn't, acne or no acne. I find lots of stuff unappealing too, so I don't wear it. (Personally, if for some weird hypothetical reason, I had to choose between my ears and nose piercings, I'd definitely keep the nose.)

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have always thought she looks *really* young -- and it looks like this is a "meet the parents 'cause we're engaged" kind of thing.

I thought it was more of a 'meeting the new boyfriend' thing.  And I'm confused by the opening - did he arrive at her place where she's making dinner for him or are they living together?  Because if she is on her own, why do her parents still keep her bedroom at their house with all the trappings intact like......still having her diary there??

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I thought it was more of a 'meeting the new boyfriend' thing.  And I'm confused by the opening - did he arrive at her place where she's making dinner for him or are they living together?  Because if she is on her own, why do her parents still keep her bedroom at their house with all the trappings intact like......still having her diary there??

My parents didn't really touch our rooms until they moved to Florida.  At that point my older sister hadn't lived their in 14(?) years, but there were still old clothes and stuffed animals and who knows what all else in our rooms.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 5:27 PM, peacheslatour said:
On 8/12/2020 at 5:13 PM, mousegirl said:

Has anyone seen the new Dick's Sporting Goods ad about back-to-school clothes?  It shows two pre-teens, one male and one female, modeling the clothes and looking around the store.  The girl gets off a line that had me rolling my eyes so hard I thought they'd fall right out on the floor.  I'm paraphrasing a bit, but as she looks at the shoes available in the store, she says "like, if I see someone with a great shoe game, I'm like I really want to know that person."  

Wow.  I don't know if this was scripted or not, but my, isn't that just the most inspiring statement (NOT) in this day and age of major, pandemic-fueled issues regarding people losing their jobs and possibly their homes,  schools being able to provide proper education access, everyone struggling to stay healthy and sane and alive.   People are important to know if they have a good "shoe game"??  JFC.  And who the eff cares what kind of shoes someone's wearing (if they're wearing any at all) when doing online school?

If the girt came up with the line on her own, all I can say is SHAME ON YOU to her parents, who have NOT instilled good values in her.  If it was scripted, then DSG can go to hell.  You are not getting my business with ad content like this - it's deeply offensive.

Read more  

To be fair it's Dick's Sporting Goods. I seriously doubt if anyone who would approve such ridiculous bullshit has any idea how young girls speak.

Don't ever change, Peacheslatour!!!! 🙂

• Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Wow.  I don't know if this was scripted or not, but my, isn't that just the most inspiring statement (NOT) in this day and age of major, pandemic-fueled issues regarding people losing their jobs and possibly their homes,  schools being able to provide proper education access, everyone struggling to stay healthy and sane and alive.   People are important to know if they have a good "shoe game"??

I didn't find it so much insensitive in terms of what's going on in the world, but moreso my eye-rolling came from......a) a store that's known for camping gear, huntin' rifles, workout equipment and such is trying to gain a corner of the back-to-school market and b) that ridiculous, immature, middle-school-esqe slang about the 'shoe game'.  Absolute cringe

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ctlady said:

Even the ones with the pouty children whose moms can't play with with them because of their headaches raise my ire.  I get it - they're kids, they don't understand, but I just can't help it.  As someone whose hub has osteo-arthritis I understand that there are limitations to what he can and can't do and don't get all "but what do you mean you can't mow the lawn today?" when he's having a bad pain day - even with the pain meds and vitamins supplements he takes

It doesn't really bug me because all of these folks are young.  When you get older you become more aware of health and physical issues.  I have more empathy than I did when I was 20.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

It doesn't really bug me because all of these folks are young.  When you get older you become more aware of health and physical issues.  I have more empathy than I did when I was 20.

I think the thing that irritates me more is that the kids are bugging their moms to play with them. I had no desire to play with my mom at that age. I wanted to be with my friends, outside, riding my bike or swimming down at the lake. About the only thing I ever remember asking my mom to do was drive me places. The skating rink, out to see my horse or to the mall. 

• Like 8