Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

On 5/24/2020 at 4:05 AM, cynicat said:

I can see why lots of people hate this ad, and completely understand.  Personally, I like it and totally get it because as a cat owner, those moments when your cat is loving on you are pretty special.  The bonus is the dig on helicopter parents who panic if their kid gets a scratch.  Yeah, it's kind of rude, but I'm on board.  

FWIW, Sheba is kitty crack, and the absolute best food to tempt cats that aren't eating well.   

An alternate take on the commercial:  The kid (whether boy or girl) is jealous of the cat so went into the bathroom and staged a fake accident.  Mom knows the kid's antics and is just reverse psychology humoring the child, who isn't injured at all.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

An alternate take on the commercial:  The kid (whether boy or girl) is jealous of the cat so went into the bathroom and staged a fake accident.  Mom knows the kid's antics and is just reverse psychology humoring the child, who isn't injured at all.

Yep, I've seen them do it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/26/2020 at 9:14 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Anyone who has cats knows they don't own their cats, the cats own them.  As a mom of two kitties, a cat lover and all-around animal lover, I don't mind the Sheba commercial.  I love just about any and all ads with critters in 'em, whether it's relevant to the product or not!  I even wait for the dog to come running back to the car in the Blow A Kiss song car commercial!

5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep, I've seen them do it.

I just realized some folks here have caught on before my comment and are like-minded as we.

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, icemiser69 said:

There is a new Life cereal commercial with Mikey now being a girl.  I would rather have them bring back the original commercial.

 

I hate that commercial.  It looks like milk is still in her mouth when she talks.  Yuck.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I understand that ads message is my cat is more important than anything so I feed her Sheba. They should have used a different image to convey that rather than images of a hurt child and possible neglectful parent. They didn't need to go there. How about showing how that woman's dinner had burned to a crisp in the oven rather than getting up and ruining her moment with her cat? No fake child hurt in the first place. This is why I don't like this ad.

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

An alternate take on the commercial:  The kid (whether boy or girl) is jealous of the cat so went into the bathroom and staged a fake accident.  Mom knows the kid's antics and is just reverse psychology humoring the child, who isn't injured at all.

I thought the opposite - that the cat is jealous of the human child and is somehow the cause of the kid getting hurt.  I once had a dog who would leave his toys on the stairs... accidentally?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

23 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

It’s my husband’s dream in life to be the clueless frustrated consumer in a crappy commercial. The “has this ever happened to you?” guy. The guy who opens an upper cupboard and a huge cascade of unmatched Tupperware rains down. Or the one whose garden hose ties itself into knots while springing leaks everywhere. He practices a lot, trying to get that perfect balance of frustration and despair  

In black and white, of course.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Those bratty Kraft kids should be sent to their rooms until they're good and ready and hungry enough to eat what is served.

Edited by SG429 · Reason: spelling
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, SG429 said:

Those bratty Kraft kids should be sent to their rooms until they're good and ready and hungry enough to eat was is served.

Nope, forcing kids to eat food that is repugnant to them is a form of torture.

They can eat what's been prepared for dinner or have a bowl of cereal or a simple (pb&j or cheese) sandwich instead. No forced feeding.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

Nope, forcing kids to eat food that is repugnant to them is a form of torture.

They can eat what's been prepared for dinner or have a bowl of cereal or a simple (pb&j or cheese) sandwich instead. No forced feeding.

 

And they can clean up afterwards of course, no dessert goes without saying. I was forced to eat as a child. I would never do that to my own child, it's cruel and controlling.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think Kraft has 2 ads that are better - the one where they sprinkle cheese on broccoli and one where they put cheese on tacos. I sure hope kids don't eat only mac and cheese every day.

I was not a picky eater, but one time I didn't want to finish my beefaroni. My mother made me finish it, and was rewarded by sitting up all night with me vomiting - I was coming down with a stomach bug. Never had to finish a plate again, and can't eat beefaroni to this day.

  • Like 11
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, SG429 said:

Those bratty Kraft kids should be sent to their rooms until they're good and ready and hungry enough to eat was is served.

I think it's that psycho mom who chases her child around the house over "one more bite" - a child whose protest is that she's full, not that she hates broccoli or whatever is on the fork - who ought to be sent somewhere.  Why ruin dinner for yourself and your kid over one damn bite?  Next time, put one more bite than you want her to eat on her plate.  Problem solved.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I think Kraft has 2 ads that are better - the one where they sprinkle cheese on broccoli and one where they put cheese on tacos. I sure hope kids don't eat only mac and cheese every day.

I was not a picky eater, but one time I didn't want to finish my beefaroni. My mother made me finish it, and was rewarded by sitting up all night with me vomiting - I was coming down with a stomach bug. Never had to finish a plate again, and can't eat beefaroni to this day.

Same happened to me with Scrapple. I refused to eat it 1. because it was awful and 2. my dad told me it was made from floor sweepings at the slaughter house. They forced me to eat it and I threw up in my plate. They also never made me eat it again. In fact I don't think they ever served it again.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think it's that psycho mom who chases her child around the house over "one more bite" - a child whose protest is that she's full, not that she hates broccoli or whatever is on the fork - who ought to be sent somewhere.  Why ruin dinner for yourself and your kid over one damn bite?  Next time, put one more bite than you want her to eat on her plate.  Problem solved.

My mom never made us eat anything. If we said we were full or that it was gross that was it.  She didn't make us something else, but we didn't have to eat it.  My paternal grandmother would give me a full-sized adult portion of food.  I knew better than to try the gross bit with her, but I would eat until I was full and she would say "three more bites."  I've never understood that concept, but I learned to say that I was full a bit before I was so, so I could comfortably fit in the 3 more bites. 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

There might be another one that I'm forgetting but the one where the kid pretends to faint when told fish is for dinner and then it goes to them eating tacos was pretty bratty. I really hope they put the fish in the tacos instead of thrown out that big fish. The one that shows the Mom chasing her daughter through the house for one more bite is terrible. The kid isn't refusing because she doesn't like the food or being a brat. She's full. Why would you make your kid keep eating if she's full? The one I do like is the kids not eating the broccoli and then cut to cheese put on top of it. That's a great commercial. Their not throwing out it out they simply added cheese to it. Which yeah kids probably are more likely to eat broccoli if it has cheese on it. It really seems like a fair compromise.  Or if they can dunk them in ranch dressing. My parents' went back and forth because we liked both. Vegetables can be kind of boring or don't really taste good to eat when your a kid. The kids are still eating healthy and when they get older they might not end up needing the cheese on the broccoli.  

That Kraft commercial where the Mom asks her three kids what they want and they all given different answers. There's a reason my mom decided we'd alternate turns to pick instead of asking that question. But then they show them eating pizza. It just makes me think of that stupid Red Baron commercial where the Mom's patting herself on the back for getting her family to eat pizza. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

My mother never asked us what we wanted for supper.  She made food and we ate it or not.  No special food for kids, no chasing around the house with food, not even putting cheese on broccoli. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, friendperidot said:

I'd love to see the original commercial, it's one of my top 5 favorite commercials of all time. I can still recite the entire ad. And, I had a dog named Mikey just because of the commercial. My Mikey has been gone about 15 years, still miss him, he was the bestest dog ever.

think this is the original, with the “When you bring Life home...” tag line.  Later versions promoted Cinnamon and Raisin Life, and included the ubiquitous “Part of this good breakfast.”

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/26/2020 at 10:01 AM, ctlady said:

And I see that the commercial for the NordicTrak bike is taking a page out of the Peloton ala 'let's work out in front of a big window with no coverings'.  And - of course - the two people in this commercial are already thin and fit

I wasn't sure what you meant until I clicked on the link.  I wasn't sure if you meant they were biking in the nude, or in front of a window with no curtains.

Biking in the nude isn't a good idea.   No one wants their low hanging fruit getting caught in a bicycle chain.

Speaking of nude, Back in the 70s I do remember streakers running down the street near where I used to live.  They didn't bother me, I just turned the other cheek.  As they rounded the corner they did the same thing. 

I am amazed at the number of face mask commercials that I have seen.  They are everywhere.

I do need a hair cut,  I kind of wish that they would bring back the Flowbee commercial.

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: spelling
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

I fucking hate this commercial: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oNFe/kim-crawford-wines-marketplace-song-by-lolo

The more I see it, the more I hate it.  And I know I'm probably overthinking it, but: It depicts this basic lady in her basic athleisure as some boss bitch other women are in awe of because she gets this certain wine.  Whenever I see this commercial, I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

I hope she pays for the sunglasses.

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

They didn't bother me, I just turned the other cheek.  

What you did there. I see it. Lulz.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

Every ad wants you to believe buying their product makes you better than everyone else. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, smittykins said:

think this is the original, with the “When you bring Life home...” tag line.  Later versions promoted Cinnamon and Raisin Life, and included the ubiquitous “Part of this good breakfast.”

Awww. I still occasionally buy the little boxes of raisins to add to my Life. Haven’t seen the Raisin version for decades, I guess. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hate the potato pay commercial with a passion.

I would love it if the dad told his daughter that the broccoli was going to end up in her one way or the other.  She could either eat it or it could take an alternate route, but it would get there.  

Yeah, a lot of people would be upset by a father making an empty threat to his child, but as a child I was always told what to eat.  It wasn't up for discussion, and there wasn't any deal making.  If I refused to eat something, I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted to do until I ate what I was told to eat.

There are times when parents are flat out wrong and they need to listen to their children.  A child refusing to eat broccoli isn't one of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Awww. I still occasionally buy the little boxes of raisins to add to my Life. Haven’t seen the Raisin version for decades, I guess. 

I don’t think Raisin Life lasted very long.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate the potato pay commercial with a passion.

I would love it if the dad told his daughter that the broccoli was going to end up in her one way or the other.  She could either eat it or it could take an alternate route, but it would get there.  

Yeah, a lot of people would be upset by a father making an empty threat to his child, but as a child I was always told what to eat.  It wasn't up for discussion, and there wasn't any deal making.  If I refused to eat something, I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted to do until I ate what I was told to eat.

There are times when parents are flat out wrong and they need to listen to their children.  A child refusing to eat broccoli isn't one of them.

Venturing into small talk territory here, but IMO, something like wearing a seatbelt/staying in the carseat falls in the nonnegotiable territory. Not wanting to eat a particular food that for some reason the kid can’t stand, if they’re otherwise getting a reasonably balanced diet, is not the hill that I as a parent would want to die on. Don’t you have anything you just don’t care to eat?

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2020 at 10:04 AM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe this is a moment when a little hypocrisy is a good thing. Like, wearing a face mask with "I love you" on it might positively change the behavior of someone. Or it might just piss them off. 

It would piss me off royally.  It's worse than "Have a nice day", or "Enjoy."  Ugh.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:01 PM, chessiegal said:

I think Kraft has 2 ads that are better - the one where they sprinkle cheese on broccoli and one where they put cheese on tacos. I sure hope kids don't eat only mac and cheese every day.

I was not a picky eater, but one time I didn't want to finish my beefaroni. My mother made me finish it, and was rewarded by sitting up all night with me vomiting - I was coming down with a stomach bug. Never had to finish a plate again, and can't eat beefaroni to this day.

Unfortunately there are plenty of children who are apparently able to eat nothing other than mac and cheese or peanut butter and jelly.

(By the way, thanks for making me look up Beefaroni. 🙂  )

 

9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate the potato pay commercial with a passion.

I would love it if the dad told his daughter that the broccoli was going to end up in her one way or the other.  She could either eat it or it could take an alternate route, but it would get there.  

Yeah, a lot of people would be upset by a father making an empty threat to his child, but as a child I was always told what to eat.  It wasn't up for discussion, and there wasn't any deal making.  If I refused to eat something, I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted to do until I ate what I was told to eat.

There are times when parents are flat out wrong and they need to listen to their children.  A child refusing to eat broccoli isn't one of them.

I don't understand why it's even an issue.  We ate what we were given and cleaned our plates.  We weren't told what to eat, we just did what was normal, which is eat our dinner.  And then we washed up.

 

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, helena.handbasket said:

Every ad wants you to believe buying their product makes you better than everyone else. 

This is true, but it's Karens thinking they're better than everyone that I specifically find problematic here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, Kiki777 said:

I thought the opposite - that the cat is jealous of the human child and is somehow the cause of the kid getting hurt.  I once had a dog who would leave his toys on the stairs... accidentally?

The cat was being pampered and purring right next to the mom, so how did the cat cause the brat to be "hurt" by falling down?  Can't the kid look where he/she is going?  If you have pets in the home, it's up to the humans to look out for the toys left on the floor.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw a phone sex talk line commercial.   I am not surprised.   Just about every morning when I get up there is a woman on television selling sex toys in pretty colors.   She needs to whiten her teeth, they look kind of gross.  

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

May I introduce you to my father?? He bought a Flowbee in the height of its popularity, somewhere in the early '90s, and has cut his hair with it ever since. He has been especially smug about it in recent months.

In all seriousness, anything bought in the early '90s and is still working is actually a pretty solid product.

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I used to live in a neighborhood with an HOA that allowed only white Christmas lights. I got a letter about colored lights. On a tree inside my house, that was visible through translucent curtains.

  • Surprise 11
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post

I have a friend who had a wood plaque with a Peace sign followed by the word Peace in her front window. Her HOA said she had to remove it. What she told them can't be repeated in polite company. The sign remained in her window for many years until she moved.

The GEICO ad is clearly tongue in cheek, but I'm sure it hits home for many people.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I'm lucky because my HOA does a fine job.   I've got one neighbor a few doors down who's downright nasty and messy, so thank goodness my HOA constantly keeps him in check.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have never and will never use Facebook messenger, not just because of this ad. Nonetheless, their current ad with "All Together Now" irritates me to no end. They crop the song - which I know is common in commercials for time - but they cut parts out in the middle. So the lyrics skip around. I love that song. I know that song. And every time I try to sing along it gets fucked up because of how they edited it.

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/1/2020 at 6:56 AM, Browncoat said:

My mother never asked us what we wanted for supper.  She made food and we ate it or not.  No special food for kids, no chasing around the house with food, not even putting cheese on broccoli. 

And I’ll bet that was after you’d walked uphill to school in a blizzard —both ways! 😉 

On 6/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, janie jones said:

I fucking hate this commercial: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oNFe/kim-crawford-wines-marketplace-song-by-lolo

The more I see it, the more I hate it.  And I know I'm probably overthinking it, but: It depicts this basic lady in her basic athleisure as some boss bitch other women are in awe of because she gets this certain wine.  Whenever I see this commercial, I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

I hope she pays for the sunglasses.

I don’t see the lady as a Karen but I do hate that song!! It’s so obnoxious (and infuriatingly easy to get stuck in my head)

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You couldn't pay me to live in a neighborhood with an HOA.

That’s good since it’s normally the other way around. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Remember, kids, you can't spell association without 'ass'.
 

 

I'm surprised her name isn't Karen.  (Maybe that was too easy.)

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Yep, totally reminds me of my HOA. They nitpicked everything. When I sold my condo I was so happy I didn't have to deal with them anymore.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a friend who had a wood plaque with a Peace sign followed by the word Peace in her front window. Her HOA said she had to remove it. What she told them can't be repeated in polite company. The sign remained in her window for many years until she moved.

Quoting myself to take it to small talk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, janie jones said:

The more I see it, the more I hate it.  And I know I'm probably overthinking it, but: It depicts this basic lady in her basic athleisure as some boss bitch other women are in awe of because she gets this certain wine.  Whenever I see this commercial, I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

I hope she pays for the sunglasses.

I came here to gripe about this very same commercial.  The smug look on her face annoys me when she takes the sunglasses

And color me clueless - but what are 'Karens' (I'm guessing it's a stereotypical basic chick) and why the name Karen (is it named after someone famous whose the epitome of basic?)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I came here to gripe about this very same commercial.  The smug look on her face annoys me when she takes the sunglasses

And color me clueless - but what are 'Karens' (I'm guessing it's a stereotypical basic chick) and why the name Karen (is it named after someone famous whose the epitome of basic?)

Google  "I want to speak with your manager" haircut.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Google  "I want to speak with your manager" haircut.

LOL I just learned this one. My sister-in-law has that haircut (and she's a very nice person). Should I tell her?

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:55 PM, janie jones said:

I fucking hate this commercial: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oNFe/kim-crawford-wines-marketplace-song-by-lolo

The more I see it, the more I hate it.  And I know I'm probably overthinking it, but: It depicts this basic lady in her basic athleisure as some boss bitch other women are in awe of because she gets this certain wine.  Whenever I see this commercial, I think, this commercial is just telling Karens they're better than everyone else.

I hope she pays for the sunglasses.

I despise that basic bitch as well. She reminds me of proud self-described CR/SR Lala from Vanderpump Rules. I do get a brief chuckle when it appears she is cropdusting those awestruck women in the store, tho.

 

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 7:16 PM, icemiser69 said:

I hate the potato pay commercial with a passion.

I would love it if the dad told his daughter that the broccoli was going to end up in her one way or the other.  She could either eat it or it could take an alternate route, but it would get there.  

Yeah, a lot of people would be upset by a father making an empty threat to his child, but as a child I was always told what to eat.  It wasn't up for discussion, and there wasn't any deal making.  If I refused to eat something, I wasn't allowed to do what I wanted to do until I ate what I was told to eat.

There are times when parents are flat out wrong and they need to listen to their children.  A child refusing to eat broccoli isn't one of them.

Am I missing something or watching a new version of the commercial?  When I see it, they give her one Oreida french fry each time she eats a mouth of vegetable.  

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Bleu by Channel. Way to grind David Bowie's fantastic song "Starman" into the ground.  And who names a cologne after a stinky cheese?

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Bleu by Channel. Way to grind David Bowie's fantastic song "Starman" into the ground.  And who names a cologne after a stinky cheese?

First thing that occurred to me as well. Bleh.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size