Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

22 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree that feature is useful, but the commercial would have been even more effective if the parking space in front of her car was filled as well.  Since that space was vacant, she could have just driven forward. 

How can she drive the car forward if she can't get into the car? Does the assist work with both backwards and forward? Either way, if you can't get into the car to drive it, the assist sounds good to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

How can she drive the car forward if she can't get into the car? Does the assist work with both backwards and forward? Either way, if you can't get into the car to drive it, the assist sounds good to me.

I agree the assist sounds good, but in the commercial she could get into the passenger side and climb into the driver's side.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree the assist sounds good, but in the commercial she could get into the passenger side and climb into the driver's side. 

That's difficult for some people to do, and I haven't seen the commercial, but if she can't get in because of how some asshole parked next to her, I can see why she'd rather push a button than mess with it, no matter how limber she is.  But the idea of standing there while my car parks itself/backs itself out is a bit creepy to me (I'm not opposed to automation, but I am leery that we as a society get so excited by it we don't properly consider the effects, so every new instance of it gives me pause).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

According to the new SuperBowl ad, yes, it does.

• Useful 1

13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That works in theory, and maybe the woman in the commercial could've done that, but I couldn't have.  Not that I'm going to buy a car just for that feature, but it does seem useful.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1

well, except for that one episode of Unsolved Mysteries where he plays the victim of a sexual predator. "Larry, he shot Larry!" I really am sorry the woman lost her son in the very violent, vicious manner, but the acting of the woman in the segment always makes me laugh and mock her.

The acting was always bad on that show, but I remember that woman's line delivery like I saw the episode yesterday.

• Like 2

There’s a new Blue Buffalo cat food commercial where two neighbors bump into each other, one carrying a grocery bag with BB and the other with Meow Mix.  Cue obligatory reading of the ingredients(with onscreen “Both provide complete and balanced nutrition” disclaimer), then when Meow Mix lady says “But I can’t afford Blue Buffalo,” BB lady says that on average, BB only costs 19 cents more per day.  Well, for some people, that adds up.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

There’s a new Blue Buffalo cat food commercial where two neighbors bump into each other, one carrying a grocery bag with BB and the other with Meow Mix.  Cue obligatory reading of the ingredients(with onscreen “Both provide complete and balanced nutrition” disclaimer), then when Meow Mix lady says “But I can’t afford Blue Buffalo,” BB lady says that on average, BB only costs 19 cents more per day.  Well, for some people, that adds up.

It bugs me more with the dog food commercial.  Cats don't vary that much in size.  So, if it varies 19 cents a day for the average cat, it's probably going to be that much for most cats.  But, what kind of dog were they using to figure out the dog differential (which I don't remember how much it was, but more than 19 cents)?  A Saint Bernard is going to eat significantly more than a chihuahua, and there's a whole huge range in between.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It bugs me more with the dog food commercial.  Cats don't vary that much in size. 

there's also the issue of having more  than one pet (I have three cats). And don't even start me on with cat rescue folks who might be feeding 20 or 30! I get why they use friskies!

• Like 9

1 minute ago, dleighg said:

there's also the issue of having more  than one pet (I have three cats). And don't even start me on with cat rescue folks who might be feeding 20 or 30! I get why they use friskies!

Oh, yeah, sure, but I was just saying, factually-wise, it doesn't even make sense to put that in there for dogs.  Just say it's $5 more a bag or whatever.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Yep, it's $67.64 a year, for something that is not actually any better for your pet.  I definitely ain't wasting my money like that.  I feed my adult cat IAMS Urinary Health formula, which is actually less than the equivalent Purina formula at Walmart (his brother had issues, so they both got that), and the new kitten gets Purina Kitten Chow because the person who rescued her gave me a big bag.  Eventually the kitten will get the IAMS stuff too if my vet says it's okay for her.

The mere fact that the commercials have to contain that disclaimer tells me Blue Buffalo isn't worth it.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, it's $67.64 a year, for something that is not actually any better for your pet.  I definitely ain't wasting my money like that.  I feed my adult cat IAMS Urinary Health formula, which is actually less than the equivalent Purina formula at Walmart (his brother had issues, so they both got that), and the new kitten gets Purina Kitten Chow because the person who rescued her gave me a big bag.  Eventually the kitten will get the IAMS stuff too if my vet says it's okay for her.

The mere fact that the commercials have to contain that disclaimer tells me Blue Buffalo isn't worth it.

Taking to pets.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 10:11 PM, janie jones said:

Oh and I'm married, by the way.  If they don't want the Million Moms to boycott their depiction of unmarried "sluts," they could show a couple high-fiving (using their left hands with the wedding rings, of course) because of the negative test

Funny you would mention the wedding rings.  In the past whenever there was a commercial for a mattress featuring a man and woman in bed, the ads always showed--and not so subtly either--the actors' left hands with gold wedding bands intact.  Seems as if they did it on laundry commercials, too.  The "housewife" would be stacking laundry and she always had a gold wedding band on, because in TV Land single people just buy another pack of underwear rather than do a load of laundry.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 16

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 6:26 PM, chenoa333 said:

I missed seeing that commercial. Sounds awesome. A pregnancy testing kit is for revealing both joyous results and sad results depending on what you're hoping for. 

They used to have those commercials, and they would show a man and woman looking at the test result thing-a-ma-bob.  In one of the ads, the woman was weeping because it was negative, and the man rubbed her shoulders, sighed wearily and said, "We'll just keep trying," all the while thinking that it was probably her fault and he should have married the sturdier stock his mother tried to fix him up with.  Just kidding about that part.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

34 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Funny you would mention the wedding rings.  In the past whenever there was a commercial for a mattress featuring a man and woman in bed, the ads always showed--and not so subtly either--the actors' left hands with gold wedding bands intact.  Seems as if they did it on laundry commercials, too.  The "housewife" would be stacking laundry and she always had a gold wedding band on, because in TV Land single people just buy another pack of underwear rather than do a load of laundry.

It wasn't too long before that that married people couldn't be shown sleeping in the same bed. Were Rob and Laura Petrie the first ones to be shown sleeping in the same bed?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It wasn't too long before that that married people couldn't be shown sleeping in the same bed. Were Rob and Laura Petrie the first ones to be shown sleeping in the same bed?

Nope - they had twin beds.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

n the past whenever there was a commercial for a mattress featuring a man and woman in bed, the ads always showed--and not so subtly either--the actors' left hands with gold wedding bands intact. 

In my prior life in a newspaper advertising department, I was in the group that handled the inserts that go into the paper. We received a complaint once from a reader because an insert from a pool place included a photo (maybe 3" square) of a hot tub, with a man and woman in the tub. He complained that they weren't wearing wedding rings, and we were promoting promiscuous behavior. Even with a magnifying glass, it was hard to see their hands clearly enough to tell, but he wrote to us complaining about it. Those were some of the things I had to deal with back then.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Nope - they had twin beds.

Now it's going to bug me. Was it Mike and Carol Brady? Sam and Derwood?

5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think, for actors who weren't married in real life, it was Mike and Carol Brady. I don't ever recall seeing Sam and Darren in bed together. But Ozzie and Harriet did share the same bed. But it was brought to my attention that it was probably because they were married in real life. Lucy and Ricky kept changing. Sometimes they had the same bed, sometimes it was twin beds. Same with Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It was actually the titular couple (married in real life) on an old, mostly-forgotten show, Mary Kay and Johnny in the late forties.  But I'm too lazy to look up how long it was until that happened again - maybe the Munsters?  Samantha and Darin on Bewitched?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Both couples slept in the same bed.  

• Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

In my prior life in a newspaper advertising department, I was in the group that handled the inserts that go into the paper.

oh my- this reminded of back in the day (I was 14) I found my mother and my best friend's mother giggling over the Sears catalog of all things. Apparently it went "viral" that a man in an underwear ad was showing more than he should have. Alas, apparently it wasn't true. But I still remember our mothers giggling 🙂 http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/the_man_on_page_602

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought the first were Ozzie and Harriet.

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought the first were Ozzie and Harriet.

I never watched that. As suggested above, maybe because they were married IRL?

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I never watched that. As suggested above, maybe because they were married IRL?

They were the first married couple to be shown in bed together because their actors were married to each other. The Munsters and Bewitched were the first couples shown in bed together by actors who weren't married to each other. Oddly enough some sitcom called Mary Kay and Johnny from 1947-1950 where shown sharing a bed their actors were married too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

In my prior life in a newspaper advertising department, I was in the group that handled the inserts that go into the paper. We received a complaint once from a reader because an insert from a pool place included a photo (maybe 3" square) of a hot tub, with a man and woman in the tub. He complained that they weren't wearing wedding rings, and we were promoting promiscuous behavior. Even with a magnifying glass, it was hard to see their hands clearly enough to tell, but he wrote to us complaining about it. Those were some of the things I had to deal with back then.

Sitting in a hot tub is promiscuous behavior?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Sitting in a hot tub is promiscuous behavior?

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It is if you do it right.

Got a story about that, but it's kind of...nasty.  Story under spoilers for those who don't want to be squicked out.

Spoiler

Had a friend back in the day who was invited to a hot tub party.  It wasn't supposed to be anything weird, guests were simply advised to wear bathing suits under their clothing if they wanted to dip into the backyard hot tub at some point.  The fun was that it was snowing outside, so people had to run through the snow to get into the tub.

Of course, there's always someone who screws it up.  My friend was in the hot tub along with several other people and one of the guys kept staring at the girls and making comments.  He apparently thought that the purpose of the hot tub was for couples to have sex in it, and he kept hinting that he expected someone to climb on him and make his dreams come true.  My friend left because he was making her uncomfortable.  Soon the other people came in and said that the guy was jacking off in the hot tub.  The host kicked him out, but no one wanted to go into the tub after that.  They were all sure that there were more bubbles on the surface of the water than before, and no one wanted to bathe in someone's cum, however diluted it might be.

• Laugh 2
  • Surprise 8

I believe the first married couple to share a bed was the Douglases on Green Acres-they had that hip (for 1964) red velvet bed from NYC.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

17 minutes ago, jww said:

I believe the first married couple to share a bed was the Douglases on Green Acres-they had that hip (for 1964) red velvet bed from NYC.

I always sort of liked that ridiculous house.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2020 at 4:42 PM, Moose135 said:

I first read this as "insects" instead of "inserts." So puzzled.

To quote the late, great, Marvin Zindler from Houston, it's hell to get old!

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

49 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I first read this as "insects" instead of "inserts." So puzzled.

To quote the late, great, Marvin Zindler from Houston, it's hell to get old!

I miss Marvin. He was one of a kind.

I have seen this commercial multiple times this weekend, and I don't know how I feel about it.

Before you the click the link, a simple question. 

Is your plumbing clogged?

On 1/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, spiderpig said:

Apologies to Matthew McConnehey fans, but I can't stand him.  Now he's all over the place in Lincoln ads (like he'd propel me to buy a Lincoln).  But the latest with him in the arctic like an escaped serial killer whistling the Andy Griffith theme makes my skin crawl.

It's on all the time.

I never thought anything could make me hate the Andy Griffith theme, but this commercial come very dang close.  It's on nearly every commercial break during some college basketball games, and I mute it every time.  

I had heard about his lack of personal hygiene before as well.  One of his co-start, years ago and I think it was Kate Hudson (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was a blond!) begged him on set to use deodorant, and even brought some "natural" deodorants for him to try.  If I recall, nada.  He just smelled throughout. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I never thought anything could make me hate the Andy Griffith theme, but this commercial come very dang close.  It's on nearly every commercial break during some college basketball games, and I mute it every time.  

I had heard about his lack of personal hygiene before as well.  One of his co-start, years ago and I think it was Kate Hudson (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was a blond!) begged him on set to use deodorant, and even brought some "natural" deodorants for him to try.  If I recall, nada.  He just smelled throughout. 

He is just so icky.  And when he first appeared on the scene they were touting him as the next Paul Newman.  As if.

I really expect him to be hauling body parts in black trash bags out of that Lincoln.  It is CREEPY!!!

• Laugh 5

On 1/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, Moose135 said:

I like how he put so much thought into it but it didn't occur to him that they might have taken off their rings to go in the water.

• Like 4

My current pet hate as far as commercials go is the Trivago one with the smug woman guest gloating about her 5% discount (with free wifi)  until she hears how much less Trivago guy is paying for his room (with free wifi).  Aside from all else that I hate in what world are all rooms in any given hotel ever going to always be the exact same price no matter how you book?  You get a suite, or a top floor or whatever you're going to pay more.  In this commercial neither of the two ninnies at the check-in desk know what kind of room the other one got.  I don't think I'd overthink this one so much if it wasn't on constantly!

• Like 6

The Trivago ad with the different room rates is stupid, but the Trivago guy can do no wrong in my book because I think he's HOT!

It amused me when we were in Italy several years ago, and they had a Trivago guy who was not nearly as good looking.

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

5 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

My current pet hate as far as commercials go is the Trivago one with the smug woman guest gloating about her 5% discount (with free wifi)  until she hears how much less Trivago guy is paying for his room (with free wifi).  Aside from all else that I hate in what world are all rooms in any given hotel ever going to always be the exact same price no matter how you book?  You get a suite, or a top floor or whatever you're going to pay more.  In this commercial neither of the two ninnies at the check-in desk know what kind of room the other one got.  I don't think I'd overthink this one so much if it wasn't on constantly!

I also hate that one.  The price of a hotel room is every changing based on so many different factors that no two people ever pay the same rate per night for identical rooms  (rooms blocked for weddings, etc excepted).  Which website the room is listed on is at the bottom of the list.  When you booked is a huge factor in the price, but that is left out in all of the Trivago commercials.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The Trivago ad with the different room rates is stupid, but the Trivago guy can do no wrong in my book because I think he's HOT!

At least in the latest commercials, he looks like he's taken a shower.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 7

2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I'm not quite sure why she gets SO VERY ANGRY over about a $25 difference. Like, reel it in, lady, you're gonna bust a vein.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I'm not quite sure why she gets SO VERY ANGRY over about a $25 difference. Like, reel it in, lady, you're gonna bust a vein.

Agreed, also not sure what's so wonderful about a 5% discount.  Wow.  So a room that costs normally $125 is now about 6 bucks cheaper?  Nice to pay less of course but that's not such a big savings that it justifies the gloating!

• Like 4

Is the actress in the above mentioned Trivago ad the same as the one in the new Limu Emu ad where the guy is telling for her to take his hand he can save her (money)?  Her hair is dark but she seems to have the same shocked expressions.  iSpot.tv did not list the name of the actress in either ad.

4 hours ago, elle said:

Is the actress in the above mentioned Trivago ad the same as the one in the new Limu Emu ad where the guy is telling for her to take his hand he can save her (money)?  Her hair is dark but she seems to have the same shocked expressions.  iSpot.tv did not list the name of the actress in either ad.

As far as I can tell, it's not the same woman, though I do enjoy that she rolls the window up at the end of the ad, because her expression is saying, Who is this lunatic and why is he riding around town with an emu?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

(In the voice of Ricky Ricardo):  Someone needs to "splain" to me the Princess Cruise commercial where they play "White Rabbit" and the female passenger seems to be on a magic mushroom trip.  What is the cruise line trying to say?  I've never been on a cruise, but I hear a lot of stories about mass foodborne illnesses, people disappearing off of ships, people "falling" off of ships, and other disasters.  I can go to the mall for similar experiences for less money.

AAz1s9R.jpg

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

(In the voice of Ricky Ricardo):  Someone needs to "splain" to me the Princess Cruise commercial where they play "White Rabbit" and the female passenger seems to be on a magic mushroom trip.  What is the cruise line trying to say?  I've never been on a cruise, but I hear a lot of stories about mass foodborne illnesses, people disappearing off of ships, people "falling" off of ships, and other disasters.  I can go to the mall for similar experiences for less money.

AAz1s9R.jpg

I believe that ad is for Celebrity Cruises, not Princess. It stands out to me because Celebrity Cruises is also "the proud sponsor" of 2 PBS cooking shows I watch - Simply Ming and A Moveable Feast. From their short ads at the beginning or end of the shows, you'd never know it was the same company. They are very subdued, no music. In one ad, they have the head of their food service talking about getting culinary inspiration from all over the world where they travel. The only thing in common with the other ad on commercial tv is an aerial shot of the ship cruising at sea.

• Useful 1

The woman in that Trivago commercial needs to fix those bags under her eyes instead of worrying about room rates.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The woman in that Trivago commercial needs to fix those bags under her eyes instead of worrying about room rates.

And the gap in her teeth while she's at it.

• Laugh 2