Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

On 12/20/2019 at 3:40 PM, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS. I don't want to see  someone  sitting on the  head, not even  my beloved. 

Yes, we all pee and poop. Doesn't mean I  want to see  it. What's  next, watching a  woman  insert a tampon (or worse yet, removing  one?)

I've noticed for a long time that there is no modesty left with these damned commercials.  I have the remote in my hand constantly because I don't need my blood pressure going up any further than it is.  Bring back the shampoo, Dove, Tide, soft drink commercials and stop being so damned graphic.  Also, the pharmaceutical ads that are never ending with graphic descriptions of bodily functions CONSTANTLY!  Usually when I'm eating, it pisses me off.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Thorkim said:

I've noticed for a long time that there is no modesty left with these damned commercials.  I have the remote in my hand constantly because I don't need my blood pressure going up any further than it is.  Bring back the shampoo, Dove, Tide, soft drink commercials and stop being so damned graphic.  Also, the pharmaceutical ads that are never ending with graphic descriptions of bodily functions CONSTANTLY!  Usually when I'm eating, it pisses me off.

What irritates me more is the answer you get if you  complain: "Well, they do it in Europe!" Yeah, in some parts of  Europe they have  pissoires, too, but I don't want  THOSE here, either.  

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, Colleenna said:

What irritates me more is the answer you get if you  complain: "Well, they do it in Europe!" Yeah, in some parts of  Europe they have  pissoires, too, but I don't want  THOSE here, either.  

To Google or not to Google, that is the question...

• Laugh 18

It's the Target commercial with it's atonal slightly off-key ' I feel good " song that has me kicking holes in the wall. I can't watch a show on Motortrend without hearing that absolutely irritating tune what seems like one-hundred-and-eighty-six-thousand times, and have vowed to NEVER set foot in a Target store again !!!

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, BigBingerBro said:

OK latest rage (besides the endless Pelaton commercials) is the Gamestop commercial where the two parents are talking about an angel getting it's wings....  It's just SO stupid!

And kind of gross, too.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:48 AM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Reminds me of all the happy people with the "cash back" deals. Whose cash do these dipshits think that is? 

I guess it's better than using a card without a cash back offer, but yeah.

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

Hang in there, Peaches.  Just another couple of days.

Ever since I found out it was Sam Smith I've been thinking about adding it to my running playlist.  

I already have it, with the incomparable Donna Summer.

• Like 1

Cash back with a credit card is a good deal as long as 1) you don't pay a fee for the card and 2) you pay off your balance in full every month so you're not paying interest. I always pay off the full balance of my cards every month. I've had a Discover Card for 25 years that normally pays 1-2% cash back, but they do promotions. I signed up for a 4 month promotion starting in January - no cost - to get 5% of all grocery and gas purchases. It's a way for them to get you to use their card rather than another. I spend most of my money each month on groceries and gas. I use the cash back towards paying off my balance. I don't see any downside to this. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

I don't have a cash-back card; I get rewards points toward Best Western hotels. I suppose when I'm done doing Road Trips because I'm too old to drive that far, I'll switch to a cash-back card. I, too, pay it all off every month and pay no fees. The only money they make on me is the surcharge from the merchant.

• Like 4

Thank the TV gods there are only hours to go for the damn jewelry ads....Jared,Pandora, Zales, and the worst of all - Kay. Ugly, tacky, over-priced trinkets aimed at mostly men who have no idea what to get their significant others.  Chocolate diamonds?? Frozen-themed engagement rings?? Are you fucking kidding me? 

"Every Kiss Begins with Kaaaay!"  You know what else begins with 'K'?  "Keep the receipt, cuz that shit's goin' back."

• Like 10
  • Laugh 8

Apparently HLN channel is beginning a run of a commercial they had last year with s creepy, horrid version of the song "Scarborough Faire". I had to stop watching HLN last year because they played that fucking song EVERY BREAK. I saw just now on another forum I am on that they are back at it. I guess they do it December through February. It's so bad you cant even watch the channel!!

• Like 4

On 12/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, chessiegal said:

Cash back with a credit card is a good deal as long as 1) you don't pay a fee for the card and 2) you pay off your balance in full every month so you're not paying interest. I always pay off the full balance of my cards every month. I've had a Discover Card for 25 years that normally pays 1-2% cash back, but they do promotions. I signed up for a 4 month promotion starting in January - no cost - to get 5% of all grocery and gas purchases. It's a way for them to get you to use their card rather than another. I spend most of my money each month on groceries and gas. I use the cash back towards paying off my balance. I don't see any downside to this. 

Unfortunately the downside is that most people don't have your self control and awareness of the reality of credit card debt.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Unfortunately the downside is that most people don't have your self control and awareness of the reality of credit card debt.

I agree with you to a point. I divorced a husband because he couldn't control his spending. However, I was responding to the poster who questioned where the cash back money comes from. It comes from the credit card company. They are paying you to use their card. 

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It comes from the credit card company. They are paying you to use their card. 

Just to add to that, in case anyone doesn't know.  The credit card companies make money on interest and late fees. But, they also charge the store a percentage per transactions.  So, whether or not you use the credit card, everyone is paying in higher prices. So, you might as well get the benefit by using the card.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I feel really sad for the employees/drivers for Domino's (?) pizza having to go back and delivery dipping sauce that someone forgot to include in the original order. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

feel really sad for the employees/drivers for Domino's

Yeah well the guy in the commercial seems overly happy to be doing it.  He's actually running from the car to the door.  When has anyone ever seem a Dominoes pizza delivery person run???

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

12 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yeah well the guy in the commercial seems overly happy to be doing it.  He's actually running from the car to the door.  When has anyone ever seem a Dominoes pizza delivery person run???

I don't think the "pizza delivery person" RUNNING is exclusive to Domino's. 😄 But I'm not a pizza lover. I do however know, that Domino's pizza isn't the top of the fast food pizza chain. But apparently they do know how to make "dough"! 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I feel really sad for the employees/drivers for Domino's (?) pizza having to go back and delivery dipping sauce that someone forgot to include in the original order. 

I never complain about my food,  If I have a problem, I just move on and get my food from some other place.  I am always afraid that if I complain, that I will piss someone off and that they might do something nasty to my food the next time I order.  And I never send my food back in  a restaurant for the same reason.

And I would never have the balls to do this.

That story alone makes me think Jim Nantz is a jerk.  I can't watch any game he announces without thinking he is a jerk.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3

I did not get a big screen TV to see close-ups of people's open mouths. First it was something vaguely dental-related - I don't know, because the mute-and-cover reflex is so strong - and now it's the IKEA AKA ad. As if saying "AKA" over and over wasn't bad enough by itself.

• Like 6

On 11/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

For some reason the woman in the Domino's commercial the says "We're going to be expediting this order." makes me irrationally angry.

A month later, this one irritates more every time I see it. As if this expedited pizza is THE ONE. Domino's CARES, y'all. They care. They're epediting. Those other customers who don't complain? Eh. Sorry, suckers.

• Like 2

Someone posted awhile back that what's portrayed in the Domino's ads isn't how it works. They said if you are a rewards member and your order isn't right, you can get some kind of discount on future orders. No one is bringing you a new pizza. Seems if that's true, the FCC should be all over Dominos for false advertising. I rarely order from them, only if I'm desperate. They are the only place that delivers to me out in the boonies. And I know to have the oven on because it's never hot enough by the time it gets here.

• Like 3

I have several terrific pizza places near me, so luckily I never have to rely on Domino's or the like.  If there's something wrong with my order, I call, and they bring me the correct thing.  None of this filing a claim and getting a credit for future use jazz; if they mess it up, they fix it that night so I can eat what I ordered.  So the commercial is odd to me -- Domino's shows up with with some sort of apology pizza on a different day, and the customers are all surprised and excited by it?

• Like 7

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:35 AM, BusyOctober said:

Chocolate diamonds??

Or, as I call them, diamond poop.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:54 PM, chenoa333 said:

Yep, it's not the driver's fault that whomever packed the order forgot the sauce (or whatever) but boy do they get the blame.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, it's not the driver's fault that whomever packed the order forgot the sauce (or whatever) but boy do they get the blame.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a smart driver will check the orders before he heads out.  Especially if he ends up having to make a bunch of return trips.

• Like 3

I've wondered if that was the only way to get decent pizza from Dominos the very few times my family's tried it. Its always terrible There's barely any sauce, cheese or toppings and some how every single time there's always a bunch of uncooked flour on the bottom of the crust. Nothing like biting into a bunch of uncooked flour. Why? Do people like eating flour? How is it on there every single time? We ate it once and it had that problem. We tried again three years later thinking it was just a fluke. Nope again. Complaining didn't do anything. Six months back our neighbor ordered Dominos and gave my dad and me the leftovers. Once again flour at the bottom. If we do that will we finally get one without a bunch of uncooked flour? 

Edited by andromeda331

11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a smart driver will check the orders before he heads out.  Especially if he ends up having to make a bunch of return trips.

My brother drives for a pizza company.  He says they try to check the orders, but when they're really busy, there isn't usually time.  Because people want their food fast and don't want hear about why it isn't at their door when they think it should be.  A lot of times a driver will have multiple orders for one trip - all stacked on top of each other, so checking the bottom orders before leaving the store isn't always an option.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I've wondered if that was the only way to get decent pizza from Dominos the very few times my family's tried it. Its always terrible There's barely any sauce, cheese or toppings and some how every single time there's always a bunch of uncooked flour on the bottom of the crust. Nothing like biting into a bunch of uncooked flour. Why? Do people like eating flour? How is it on there every single time? We ate it once and it had that problem. We tried again three years later thinking it was just a flute. Nope again. Complaining didn't do anything. Six months back our neighbor ordered Dominos and gave my dad and me the leftovers. Once again flour at the bottom. If we do that will we finally get one without a bunch of uncooked flour? 

could you possibly be mistaking flour for cornmeal?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

could you possibly be mistaking flour for cornmeal?

Nope, its flour. Uncooked, white flour that always at the bottom of any pizza we order from Dominos. 

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

weird. i wonder why they do that.

Yes it is and I have no idea why. The first time we assumed it was just a fluke. But nope every time. Even when our neighbor gave us her leftover Dominos pizza it had flour on the bottom of the pizza. Complaining to management did nothing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes it is and I have no idea why. The first time we assumed it was just a fluke. But nope every time. Even when our neighbor gave us her leftover Dominos pizza it had flour on the bottom of the pizza. Complaining to management did nothing. 

they obviously don't know how to make proper pizza. that's just bizarre.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Nope, its flour. Uncooked, white flour that always at the bottom of any pizza we order from Dominos. 

That is weird.  I don't order from Dominos very often because there are a surfeit of better pizza places near me, but I've never had that happen on those occasions when Dominos is the only place open.

Maybe they're putting down flour when they shape the crust to keep it from sticking and then not making sure they shake it all off?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My brother drives for a pizza company.  He says they try to check the orders, but when they're really busy, there isn't usually time.  Because people want their food fast and don't want hear about why it isn't at their door when they think it should be.  A lot of times a driver will have multiple orders for one trip - all stacked on top of each other, so checking the bottom orders before leaving the store isn't always an option.

I used to deliver pizza and the smart way to do this was to keep a whole bunch of the extra shit in your car. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, kariyaki said:

I used to deliver pizza and the smart way to do this was to keep a whole bunch of the extra shit in your car. 

Depends on the company.  One place he worked was so parsimonious about sauces, etc., they counted them every night and god forbid the numbers didn't match up with orders.  Because yes, that is the easiest way to do it.

Anyway, on topic: those Dominos commercials are misleading and stupid.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe they're putting down flour when they shape the crust to keep it from sticking and then not making sure they shake it all off?

That makes the most sense although why their not shaking it off I don't know. My family can't be the only one getting it. We can't have been the only ones who complained. We order different times the second time six months after the first one and next one a few years later. The last time was a year ago when our neighbor gave us her leftovers. Still had flour all over the bottom. How does it keep happening? Wouldn't they have fixed that problem at some point? We've wondered if with that commercial if we ordered a pizza and sent it back would they finally make it right? Would we finally get a pizza without flour at the bottom? Not that we'll try it. Luckily there's other good pizzas in town. Although even if there wasn't we'd probably go frozen pizza rather then Dominos. Its hard to look at any Dominos commercial and not think of yum a mouth full of flour. 

• Like 1

The IKEA winter sale ad pushes multiple "Arrgh!" buttons for me. It's the one where a family of four rides the escalator up to the showroom floor, fans out in front of it, and is so mesmerized by all the home decor on sale that all they can do is simultaneously spew every internet acronym ever invented.

First of all, they're blocking the damn escalator so no one coming up behind them can get off. I think they should all be slow roasted in gravy for that alone. Then for what feels like an eternity they babble while the camera focuses on each mouth in extreme closeup.

I love IKEA stuff but this commercial makes me want them all to DIAF. (Not really, but I couldn't resist.)

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

On 12/20/2019 at 1:40 PM, Colleenna said:

Oh FFS. I don't want to see  someone  sitting on the  head, not even  my beloved. 

Yes, we all pee and poop. Doesn't mean I  want to see  it. What's  next, watching a  woman  insert a tampon (or worse yet, removing  one?)

The visual is bad enough.  But made worse by him saying he’s dumping his cargo. Next one someone will brag about pinching a loaf, and then some other guy countering with dropping a deuce, but no this other guy out does both of them with his commentary about his morning stink bomb.

I have worked places where guys brag about their nasty morning poop.  Thanks for sharing! No wonder you’re single!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

3 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I would definitely demand compensation of some sort if I found a woodwind instrument in my pizza. 

Well, sure if it's a clarinet.  A flute is small.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

The commercials I just can't stand is anything are the poop spray ones.

However, I really loathe the luxury SUV commercial where the woman drives up to her home, and her family is destroying the house.   Instead of doing something about the destruction, she goes outside, climbs back in her SUV, and puts on music, and reclines the seat.  How wimpy can you get?  I hope the sequel is showing the woman kicking them all out of her house, and telling them she's suing them all for damages. 

I hate the Plexaderm skin tightening ads so much. 

I also loathe the insurance for bad driver ads, the anyone can get senior insurance (fine print for payouts is everything).     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Well, sure if it's a clarinet.  A flute is small.

I dunno. If it's a  silver flute, it might be worth enough $$ that you can sell it and buy a decent  pizza somewhere else.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

and oboes wood be right out.

I tried for a bassoon comeback and failed my serably.

topic?  While I was just sitting here reading this that damn “we’re expediting this order” lady violated my space. 

I hated Domino’s for a long time but somewhere along the line it became edible. It’s no artisan pizza but when I’m desperate I’ll hit Dominos before Pizza Hut any day.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 12:46 PM, andromeda331 said:

There's barely any sauce, cheese or toppings and some how every single time there's always a bunch of uncooked flour on the bottom of the crust. Nothing like biting into a bunch of uncooked flour. 

It's been a long time since I've had Domino's, but I definitely remember the flour/crust thing, and it happened nearly every time we ordered from there.  I never thought anything of it, though.  I just figured they dusted some flour on the bottom of the box so the pizza wouldn't stick.

That said, Domino's gives me stomachaches I don't eat it.  Same with Pizza Hut.  Shame, because I'm OK with eating cheap.

• Useful 1

Let's face it, any ad that shows employees happily responding to customer complaints (particularly as a result of some sort of head office initiative) is complete and utter BS.  No pizza place is "expediting" free pizza deliveries to correct mistakes.  I'm a cynical old bastard, lol.  I get very annoyed when employees in ads are shown to have a level of commitment and enthusiasm that is totally out of whack in relation to the actual importance of what they are doing.  Pizza shops aren't hospital emergency rooms.  The A&W dude bugs the hell out of me.  

Here's a tiny little annoyance I just saw in an ad for those Endy mattresses.  There's a shot of someone unpacking one of the tightly-rolled and compressed matts from it's plastic wrap...by slicing the wrap with a utility blade.  lol.  Come on...I'm pretty sure that ain't the recommended method.  

Oh, and am I the only one who finds these recent Shriner's ads featuring various errr..."differently-abled" (?) kids appealing for donations so manipulative they border on evil?  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Let's face it, any ad that shows employees happily responding to customer complaints (particularly as a result of some sort of head office initiative) is complete and utter BS.  No pizza place is "expediting" free pizza deliveries to correct mistakes.  I'm a cynical old bastard, lol.  I get very annoyed when employees in ads are shown to have a level of commitment and enthusiasm that is totally out of whack in relation to the actual importance of what they are doing.  Pizza shops aren't hospital emergency rooms. .

My family was just talking about those ads the other night and we said pretty much the same thing :p. Yeah, usually if you screw up with a customer, nobody responds that happily and cheerfully about it. More likely than not you're getting chewed out by your boss/the higher ups/the customers along the way. 

There can be individuals within a company who can resolve customer issues in a pleasant and genuinely helpful manner, sure. But I agree that a lot of these kinds of commercials come off as, "Shit, we'd better put on a happy front so we don't have cranky people calling us." :p. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:39 AM, CoderLady said:

The IKEA winter sale ad pushes multiple "Arrgh!" buttons for me. It's the one where a family of four rides the escalator up to the showroom floor, fans out in front of it, and is so mesmerized by all the home decor on sale that all they can do is simultaneously spew every internet acronym ever invented.

First of all, they're blocking the damn escalator so no one coming up behind them can get off. I think they should all be slow roasted in gravy for that alone. Then for what feels like an eternity they babble while the camera focuses on each mouth in extreme closeup.

I love IKEA stuff but this commercial makes me want them all to DIAF. (Not really, but I couldn't resist.)

I'm with you on the commercial, but I do find the grandfather's comment about IKEA having meatballs amusing.

• Laugh 7

Oh, and am I the only one who finds these recent Shriner's ads featuring various errr..."differently-abled" (?) kids appealing for donations so manipulative they border on evil?  

The Shriner's ads never bothered me. It's those ASPCA ads that I find horribly manipulative. I wish my monthly donation would wipe out animal abuse and neglect but unfortunately human beings keep finding ways to be awful.

Speaking of awful, I have had enough of those Food Network app ads! They are on constantly!

• Like 8