Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

On 12/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, chessiegal said:

I went to Jared's web site to see if I could find the necklace from the we just started dating ad. Jared's is quite proud of those ads. They feature them on their home page. That necklace costs $1,900! No wonder the dude can't afford a decent haircut.

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Or is it just me?

Nope.  Like I said, either in this thread or another one, when the commercial was first mentioned, you don't smile and hug in response to a crazy gesture like that, you back away slowly while blocking his number and looking up the restraining order process.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

What's up with the obnoxious daughter commercials lately?

There's the one where the daughter has a date coming over and she's ruined dinner so he video calls her dad. He takes the time to help her out and saves her dinner and when he asks what his (the date's) name is, she hangs up on him. Thanks for helping dad. Now that i don't need you anymore, I can't be bothered to answer a simple question. Bye.

And Raisin Bran seems to love these commercials. A while back there was one with a father and a daughter camping or fishing and she makes fun of his jacket with a smart mouth tone. Now there's a new one where the daughter is about to go on a bike ride and he's just concerned about her safety and she continually smarts off to him.

These ads are so unappealing.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

Well, as i said in my previous post, my husband gave me a gold and diamond necklace after we'd only been going out for three weeks but we were living together by then, If I didn't like the guy, I don't think it's ethical to accept it. The kind of crap I used to get form guys was usually stuffed animals on my porch, hanging baskets of plants, flowers.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Aryanna said:

There's the one where the daughter has a date coming over and she's ruined dinner so he video calls her dad. He takes the time to help her out and saves her dinner and when he asks what his (the date's) name is, she hangs up on him. Thanks for helping dad. Now that i don't need you anymore, I can't be bothered to answer a simple question. Bye.

And Raisin Bran seems to love these commercials. A while back there was one with a father and a daughter camping or fishing and she makes fun of his jacket with a smart mouth tone.

I like the interaction between the fathers and daughters in both those commercials; the teasing comes off very natural and affectionate.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

Oh, this woman thinks it's weird. I need a new prescription for my glasses, and thought maybe it was a sterling silver necklace. But no, it's diamonds. Agree, run away fast. But they still could give the guy a decent haircut. Not sure I would date someone who can't be well groomed.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

12 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

Add me to the list of those who agree with you. I think the same thing every time I see that commercial. 

(In my case, there's also the fact that I'm not really a jewelry person to begin with, so if some guy I was dating plopped jewelry down for me that early, and it was that kind of super fancy stuff at that, it'd just make me feel even more uncomfortable.)

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Add me to the list of those who agree with you. I think the same thing every time I see that commercial. 

(In my case, there's also the fact that I'm not really a jewelry person to begin with, so if some guy I was dating plopped jewelry down for me that early, and it was that kind of super fancy stuff at that, it'd just make me feel even more uncomfortable.)

I just wonder who thought of this commercial? Who signed off on this commercial? What are they trying to accomplish with it? Are they trying to tell guys it's okay to spend that kind of money on someone you've only been dating a week or two? If so that's bad advice to the guys. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I just wonder who thought of this commercial? Who signed off on this commercial? What are they trying to accomplish with it? Are they trying to tell guys it's okay to spend that kind of money on someone you've only been dating a week or two? If so that's bad advice to the guys. 

Or are they trying to tell women this is what you should expect? Obviously they are trying to sell diamond jewelry, but the premise of the commercial is ill conceived.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, ctlady said:

Just when we thought we'd be rid of the annoying Peloton commercials - the one where the husband surprises his already slender and fit wife with one for Christmas where she proceeds to chronicle her year long journey of change. 

Barring internal health issues to which the machine may have helped during her year of change, her physique didn't.  Really, Peloton - a better ad campaign would've gotten someone with some visible body fat to lose, have them document themselves for a year and use their story for the commercial.  Not some chick you can't seem to pinch an inch on.

I suppose that this is to deflect any body-shaming accusations, because how dare you show someone overweight and suggest that there was something less than perfect about them? As someone who could definitely lose 40-50 lb myself, I think that political correctness has reached epidemic proportions and people need to get a grip!

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Or are they trying to tell women this is what you should expect? Obviously they are trying to sell diamond jewelry, but the premise of the commercial is ill conceived.

Then there are the commercials for not just an engagement/wedding ring with not one but lots of diamonds, now there’s the “She’s your best friend” and should therefore have another diamond ring. Sheesh. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/1/2019 at 8:58 AM, sempervivum said:

new Chanel Number Five perfume ad 

Never understood the popularity of any of the Chanel perfumes but especially, Chanel No. 5

 P.U.(I don't know what that stands for but it's true!)

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

55 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Never understood the popularity of any of the Channel perfumes but especially, Channel No. 5

 P.U.(I don't know what that stands for but it's true!)

My mom used to wear Chanel No 5 and it smelled fabulous on her.  Not so much on me, nasty in fact.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

P.U.(I don't know what that stands for but it's true!)

1) It's a shortened term for puteo, which is Latin for "to stink, be redolent, or smell bad."  2) It's actually spelled "piu," but is often pronounced as "pee-yew". It's root is the Indo-European word "pu," meaning to rot or decay.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 13

Share this post


Link to post

I just happened to run across two different articles in my feed this morning criticizing the Peloton ad.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/12/peloton-bike-lady-needs-help-someone-please-help-her

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pelotons-viral-ad-captures-a-116-lb-womans-yearlong-fitness-journey-to-becoming-a-112-lb-woman-2019-12-02

"A 116 pound woman's yearlong fitness journey to become a 112 pound woman."

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Unfortunately, there are times when the giftee hasn't expressed an interest in this kind of passive aggressive gift giving.  Like when my friend's mother gave her a membership to Weight Watchers for her 16th birthday.

Early in my brother's marriage, my SIL was trying to give up smoking and for Christmas, her BFF gave her one of those things like a clutch purse to hold your cigarette pack with an exterior pocket for the lighter.  SIL eventually did give up smoking because her choice of ObGyn wouldn't accept pregnant smokers and she wanted to have a baby.  Hasn't smoked in 42 years, but that was no thanks to her BFF.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

Maybe I'm in the wrong tax bracket, but I've never spent that much on a piece of jewelry - I'm not sure I've spent much more than that in total on jewelry for wife/girlfriend in my life.

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I like the interaction between the fathers and daughters in both those commercials; the teasing comes off very natural and affectionate.

I really like those two as well.

2 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Then there are the commercials for not just an engagement/wedding ring with not one but lots of diamonds, now there’s the “She’s your best friend” and should therefore have another diamond ring. Sheesh. 

When they first started with those "for your wife and best friend" commercials, I said "You mean you have to buy two of them?" 😉

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I suppose that this is to deflect any body-shaming accusations, because how dare you show someone overweight and suggest that there was something less than perfect about them? As someone who could definitely lose 40-50 lb myself, I think that political correctness has reached epidemic proportions and people need to get a grip!

I don't think it's a political correctness issue, at least not for me.  It's just such a laughable bunch of bs, a $3k stationary bike given as a Christmas gift to a wife, her brow scrunching earnestness/help me expression, the "video journal", etc.  It's like an SNL skit.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, ctlady said:

Just when we thought we'd be rid of the annoying Peloton commercials - the one where the husband surprises his already slender and fit wife with one for Christmas where she proceeds to chronicle her year long journey of change. 

Barring internal health issues to which the machine may have helped during her year of change, her physique didn't.  Really, Peloton - a better ad campaign would've gotten someone with some visible body fat to lose, have them document themselves for a year and use their story for the commercial.  Not some chick you can't seem to pinch an inch on.

We're not the only people who hate that Peloton commercial.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

I always think of this:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Aryanna said:

My problem with the commercial is that they just started dating. You just started dating and you're giving her a $2K necklace? That's way too serious too soon. I'd be running the other direction. I don't even know if I like you yet.

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

No its not you. I say that every time it comes on. Its way too soon to be giving her a 2K necklace. I wouldn't be thrilled and I'd be wondering if I should bolt or if he's crazy. That's a lot of money to spend on a gift when you haven't been dating long. I'd be asking him why he did it and what he's thinking. His answer would decide whether I need to bolt.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The Peloton controversy made the NBC Nightly News last night.

And the Washington Post! Hilarious.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

her brow scrunching earnestness/help me expression, the "video journal", etc.  It's like an SNL skit.

Not a fan of SNL, but I would definitely watch them do a skit of this.  The 'omg, I'm so scared...what if I mess up....but....here goes nothing' is completely eyeroll fodder.  One of the user comments from one of the many online articles about this yesterday said, "what's she scared of?  It's a stationary bike, not the luge"

I am confused as to where everyone is getting her weight from - and that she lost 4 lbs.  I don't remember that mentioned in the commercial, not did I perceive the video compilation at the end that she watches with her husband to have been his Christmas gift from her. 

My entire issue with the commercial is not sexism, weight/body shaming, but the fact that she biked her butt off for a year and didn't look one iota different - at least visibly.  Perhaps she got in better cardiovascular shape.  That intense type of cardio is a fat burner, not a muscle builder/shaper/toner.  Unless she didn't change her diet or ate more during the year, she should've been a skeleton after a year!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I just wonder who thought of this commercial? Who signed off on this commercial? What are they trying to accomplish with it? Are they trying to tell guys it's okay to spend that kind of money on someone you've only been dating a week or two? If so that's bad advice to the guys. 

Yeah, but that's pretty much what Jared does. I hate their commercials.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:53 AM, elle said:

Thank you, Maverick and SmithW6079!  It was confusing to me because it seemed as if the lights were already on. It makes no sense to me.  Why have those lights on during the morning?  So then how is that affecting the rest of the house?  I know, it is a commercial.

I know a lot of people who keep their Christmas lights on all day on Christmas.  I did when I actually put up lights.  But my take is that the Peloton zombies are draining the electricity, not powering the lights.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, Ashforth said:

Enjoy! Thank you @Haleth for the link to that article.

Yep, my reply to that 'gift' would be: So you fucking think I'm too fat?  Well apparently so is your wallet.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

 One of the user comments from one of the many online articles about this yesterday said, "what's she scared of?  It's a stationary bike, not the luge"

Yes, that's my only problem with it. Why does she look half-terrified in so many scenes? She's obviously an woman who's in shape and appears to be well-off. I'm sure she's done all sorts of exercise/spinning classes. Her expressions are just silly.

Relatedly, a couple of weeks ago I saw a commercial for some other brand of stationary bike. The name escapes me. But it was definitely trying to set itself apart from Peloton. They placed the bike in places where more middle-class folks tend to stick them — in the bedroom, a bonus room with kids running around, etc. One guy had his in a very unfinished basement. It was certainly a contrast. 

Re Christmas lights: When ours go on Christmas Eve, they burn all night and then through Christmas Day. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I know a lot of people who keep their Christmas lights on all day on Christmas.  I did when I actually put up lights.

and

37 minutes ago, tanyak said:

Re Christmas lights: When ours go on Christmas Eve, they burn all night and then through Christmas Day

I can see someone leaving the lights on all night, but in the commercial lights that are off are being turned back on.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

But my take is that the Peloton zombies are draining the electricity, not powering the lights.

That was my initial take but I can now see the trope of someone cycling to generate electrical power.  Either way, if I looked out and saw the light flickering on and off in the neighborhood I would wonder what was up with the power.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

That commercial with Colonel Sanders and the Mrs. Butterworth syrup bottle in a Dirty Dancing pottery wheel scene is just too weird.  I am surprised he didn't try to unscrew her cap.  I know she is a syrup bottle, but in theory isn't he getting a little too frisky with that married bottle of syrup?  And who is Mrs.  Butterworth married to?  Who is Mr. Butterworth?

I heard she was also seeing one Mr. Frank Redhot. And what of Uncle Ben? Eh, what?

  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, tanyak said:

Why does she look half-terrified in so many scenes? She's obviously an woman who's in shape and appears to be well-off. I'm sure she's done all sorts of exercise/spinning classes. Her expressions are just silly.

As someone mentioned above - endorphins. Perhaps this woman has mental issues she can mitigate with big deal exercising; exercise doesn't just have to be about fat reduction & muscles.

Uncle Ben's married to Aunt Jemima, for pete's sake.  Mr. Butterworth is probably dead due to a cholesterol/diabetes problem. He probably could have used a Peloton.

  • Laugh 24

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As someone mentioned above - endorphins. Perhaps this woman has mental issues she can mitigate with big deal exercising; exercise doesn't just have to be about fat reduction & muscles.

Uncle Ben's married to Aunt Jemima, for pete's sake.  Mr. Butterworth is probably dead due to a cholesterol/diabetes problem. He probably could have used a Peloton.

Well that's scandalous. Pfft, Uncle Ben is old enough the be Aunt Jemima's grandfather. And then you have Dr. Pepper and his neer do well younger brother Mr. Pibb. He never got his degree and his father Dr. Scholl disowned him.

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Can any other girls back me up here? Or is it just me?

I've said elsewhere, I like the singers and the song, but yeah, $2 K for a necklace early in a relationship is too much, a nice little $20 from Penney's or Walmart would do just fine. My ex-husband gave me diamond earrings the first Christmas we were together, but we were living together by then and getting married before the New Year. He liked to give me expensive jewelry, I'm not all that interested in it, I'd rather have a Barbie doll, which by the end of our marriage, he had figured out and that was what he gave me. I still have the Barbies, I've sold the earrings and the engagement and wedding rings, my heart diamond necklace was stolen, I lost the opal earrings, (those were my favorites). I do still have the pearl earrings, they're in a box in a drawer.

Editing to add, I'm of the generation where oranges, tangerines and shelled nuts were a treat in our Christmas stockings. I almost have a guilt, almost, but it goes away quickly when I pick up a bag of Cuties Clementines with grocerices this time of the year. And to keep it about commercials, I like Cuties better than Halos, they are usually sweeter. Must be something about the time they are picked.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I've said elsewhere, I like the singers and the song, but yeah, $2 K for a necklace early in a relationship is too much, a nice little $20 from Penney's or Walmart would do just fine. My ex-husband gave me diamond earrings the first Christmas we were together, but we were living together by then and getting married before the New Year. He liked to give me expensive jewelry, I'm not all that interested in it, I'd rather have a Barbie doll, which by the end of our marriage, he had figured out and that was what he gave me. I still have the Barbies, I've sold the earrings and the engagement and wedding rings, my heart diamond necklace was stolen, I lost the opal earrings, (those were my favorites). I do still have the pearl earrings, they're in a box in a drawer.

Are you me? We were also living together and got engaged a week later. I'm not a jewelry person either, I would rather have had a new rose bush or ornamental tree. My gold and diamond necklace got stolen as well. Of course it was my own fault. DH was in a band and we always had a lot of musicians and assorted hangers on around and I left my necklace in a little box in the bathroom. He eventually bought me another one but I don't think it's as nice.....and I should probably take this to Small Talk.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My husband says he read an article that said since all the publicity trashing the Peleton commercials, their stock has dropped 9%. I wonder how much longer they'll be running those ads.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

exercise doesn't just have to be about fat reduction & muscles.

Personally, I swim to burn off the crazy. Granted, it's only a temporary fix, but at least for eight hours after a swim, I'm safe to be around. 😉

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

THE MOST ANNOYING COMMERCIAL IS HILTON...DARK HAIR WOMAN WITH LONG BROWN HAIR. SHE DOES NOT HAVE A CLASSY LOOK NOR DOES SHE SOUND MATURE. I WOULD EXPECT HILTON TO HAVE SOMEONE ELEGANT AND SOPHISTICATED. THAT GIRL IS SKINNY AND VERY CHILDISH LOOKING. SCRIPT IS HORRIBLE. "I CAN READ MINDS . . . REALLY?".  COME ON HILTON, IS THIS THE BEST YOU CAN DO. I WOULD NOT WANT TO STAY AT YOUR HOTEL. YOU NEED A MORE CLASSY COMMERCIAL. GET RID OF THIS GIRL. 

.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband says he read an article that said since all the publicity trashing the Peleton commercials, their stock has dropped 9%. I wonder how much longer they'll be running those ads.

Yes, that was reported on the news last night.

7 hours ago, CM6 said:

THE MOST ANNOYING COMMERCIAL IS HILTON...DARK HAIR WOMAN WITH LONG BROWN HAIR. SHE DOES NOT HAVE A CLASSY LOOK NOR DOES SHE SOUND MATURE. I WOULD EXPECT HILTON TO HAVE SOMEONE ELEGANT AND SOPHISTICATED. THAT GIRL IS SKINNY AND VERY CHILDISH LOOKING. SCRIPT IS HORRIBLE. "I CAN READ MINDS . . . REALLY?".  COME ON HILTON, IS THIS THE BEST YOU CAN DO. I WOULD NOT WANT TO STAY AT YOUR HOTEL. YOU NEED A MORE CLASSY COMMERCIAL. GET RID OF THIS GIRL. 

.

Do you mean Anna Kendrick?  I don't like her or the commercials either but she's a pretty well known actress.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, elle said:

I can see someone leaving the lights on all night, but in the commercial lights that are off are being turned back on.

I'll have to watch it again (I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities, unfortunately) because I thought they were already on, but were flickering - you know, due to the immense drain on the power grid caused by all those Pelotons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, tanyak said:

Relatedly, a couple of weeks ago I saw a commercial for some other brand of stationary bike. The name escapes me. But it was definitely trying to set itself apart from Peloton. They placed the bike in places where more middle-class folks tend to stick them — in the bedroom, a bonus room with kids running around, etc. One guy had his in a very unfinished basement. It was certainly a contrast. 

I think that might be Nordic Track.

16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And to keep it about commercials, I like Cuties better than Halos, they are usually sweeter. Must be something about the time they are picked.

They do tend to be slightly smaller than Halos.  I like them because they're usually a little less expensive then Halos.  I just googled, because I was curious about the difference between mandarins and clementines, and learned that clementines are one type of mandarin; apparently tangerines are also mandarins.  Who knew?

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband says he read an article that said since all the publicity trashing the Peleton commercials, their stock has dropped 9%. I wonder how much longer they'll be running those ads.

I read a similar article on CNN's website.  Analysts don't really think the drop has much to do with the commercials since their stock has fluctuated a lot, but it did talk about how Peloton says they've gotten a lot of emails with positive feedback.  Somehow I doubt there've been more of those than critical ones.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like Hilton properties. I always look for them over other chains. The breakfast buffet at Hampton Inn is good, including fruit smoothies. And Double Tree - chocolate chip cookies - yum! Their app is very convenient. They have better prices than booking sites.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/3/2019 at 10:43 AM, Brookside said:

L'Oreal Revitalift.  The spokesperson refers to her dermatologist as "my derm."  What kind of pretentious git does that?

The one who gets a Peloton for Christmas and vlogs about her rides for the next year.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:57 PM, ctlady said:

As much as I loathe all the Peloton commercials in general - this was especially - I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the wife had been 'hinting' she wanted one, and her hub surprised her with one.  Even if it were an overweight woman (or man) who had confided with their spouse that they wanted to lose a few pounds and shape up by working out or running in the morning, but live in an area that isn't too kind in the winter time for a morning/evening run - so spouse surprises them with a Peloton as a way to get their cardio indoors.  I see nothing rude or insulting receiving this as a gift if the gifter knew the giftee would really appreciate it.  I've been on the hunt for a cheap bench/barbell set for the last two years so if my hub surprised me by scoring one at a garage sale I'd be psyched.

What I particularly dislike about this new one is the fact they used an already fit and trim giftee who - after a year - didn't look much different, but claimed her journey to change was amazing.  And her 'okay, I'm scared, but let's do this' before her first ride makes my eyes roll.  It's a bike, honey, not a mountain climb without a harness

  I'd rather see an overweight person getting up at 6 am or coming home after work and getting on the bike before supper.  People exercise for a number of reasons (enjoyment, a way to blow off steam, keep a healthy heart, etc) but let's be honest - the main reason is to lose weight so show me someone (man or woman) with weight to lose sweating on that thing and their dramatic change after a year.  If the commercial was done with care and consideration, I would find that so much more inspiring

I agree. I'm willing to give the husband the benefit of the doubt and say he bought the bike because his wife was hinting she wanted one and if he didn't spend $3000 (plus online classes), she would make his life miserable. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

What went on at the ad meeting for Folgers?  Are they trying to be "edgy"? They really should have leaned hard into the built in nostalgia factor they had before these awful commercials.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I commented on this a few pages back. Look, I get it. He's a typical "overly protective dad" and it's supposed to be cute and all, but seriously: all he did was ask the guy's name, after spending what had to be at least a half hour on the phone with her helping her fix a meal. And didn't even ask until the very end of the call. That's not being overly intrusive in my book.

Which is why I hope the bitch winds up on Dateline as the victim of a serial killer, and when Keith Morrison interviews her dad, he'll say "I don't know, she wouldn't even tell me his name."

I was with you til the end. Seems a bit harsh.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

but seriously: all he did was ask the guy's name, after spending what had to be at least a half hour on the phone with her helping her fix a meal.

Yes, and all she did, after thanking him, was give a good-natured groan of "Dad" when he asked the guy's name.  It's in the same spirit of his "What have you done?" and "That's a duck?" - and of "What's his name" itself, said in a tone that plays to me like he's teasing because he knows he's not going to get an answer, that this is something they do.  It's how they interact, and includes their shared smile at his story of her mom burning duck once, too.  I like it.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Which is why I hope the bitch winds up on Dateline as the victim of a serial killer, and when Keith Morrison interviews her dad, he'll say "I don't know, she wouldn't even tell me his name."

Even if it is snotty and rude, though, it hardly calls for a gender slur and wishing her murdered.

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

I think the Peloton commercial would have been much better if the wife had simply exclaimed, "Ooooh, just what I wanted!"  Also, the actress has these big, sad-looking eyes which makes it seem like she's desperately trying so hard to please her husband.  I think another, more cheerful-looking actress would have also made the commercial better. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Christmas music and car commercials.  Wonder how long this torture device will go on into January.  Cadillac and the jingle bells song with the same instrumental line being played over and over again with the slapping sleigh bells. Enough of that commercial,  cant mute it fast enough 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size