Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

42 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate their commercials because they make new pet owners look like idiots for not already have food and a water bowl when they bring the pet home.

For me, it’s Blue Buffalo’s “Love them like family?  Feed them like family.”  I’m on disability and can only afford to give Shadow Cat Chow(my mom paid her adoption fee and helps with vet bills).

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, smittykins said:

For me, it’s Blue Buffalo’s “Love them like family?  Feed them like family.”  I’m on disability and can only afford to give Shadow Cat Chow(my mom paid her adoption fee and helps with vet bills).

I hate their commercials.  They imply that those of us who can't afford their expensive food are bad pet owners.  Even though the disclaimer they've been forced to add clearly states that both brands of food provide complete and balanced nutrition.  So I don't need to waste hard-earned cash on Blue Buffalo.  Don't feel bad about doing the best you can - Cat Chow is fine for most cats.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Um, actually that's Dean Winters. He was great in L&O SVU.

Oh, I know I know, I loved him in SVU as well.  But he will always be Ryan O'Reily to me.  Did you ever see OZ?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, smittykins said:

We feed Blue Buffalo kibble (Friskies Tasty Treasures with Cheese for cans - my female is a total snoop and refuses to eat pate, so it must be the meaty bits), but it is pricey - no doubt.  Purina Cat Chow is perfectly fine per my vet (her only advice was to try to skip the super cheap dry foods that are nothing but corn).  I don't recall if Purina Beyond is expensive anymore or not - it's grain free. Our late beloved Shadow cat developed dental disease and then kidney failure.  She mostly wanted kibble - she didn't care much for cans - so we switched her to grain free to help slow the diseases.

Purina also has a loyalty program.  I can PM you the info when I get home.  You can enter bar codes from their products (Cat Chow included) to earn points toward food, or other items.

• Useful 4

10 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Oh, I know I know, I loved him in SVU as well.  But he will always be Ryan O'Reily to me.  Did you ever see OZ?

Nope, don't have HBO.

Don't feel bad about doing the best you can - Cat Chow is fine for most cats.

Last time I had Nathan at the vet, he was looking him over and got a very puzzled look on his face. He walked over and picked up his chart and said "It says here that this is a 13 year old cat. This is a five year old cat!" I assured him the chart was correct and he asked what I feed him. The answer? Purina Cat Chow. If Nathan is any example then Cat Chow is just fine. Don't let anybody guilt you into spending more than you can afford.

• Like 11

Who is the woman who does the voice over in the Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials? Her voice is so annoying! It's bad enough that their message is "Come to us! We cure cancer! No one else knows what they're doing!" Then they have some nasally woman conveying that message.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Nope, don't have HBO.

Last time I had Nathan at the vet, he was looking him over and got a very puzzled look on his face. He walked over and picked up his chart and said "It says here that this is a 13 year old cat. This is a five year old cat!" I assured him the chart was correct and he asked what I feed him. The answer? Purina Cat Chow. If Nathan is any example then Cat Chow is just fine. Don't let anybody guilt you into spending more than you can afford.

The whole series "OZ" is free with Amazon Prime.  Its pretty brutal, but memorable.

• Useful 2

October is here which means it's time for... Medicare Enrollment ads.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but every year without fail my local stations constantly airs one for Blue Cross Blue Shield that shows a couple playing cards and the wife giving her husband a smug looks as she beats him at whatever game they're playing. I seen it three times today already, so they sure to do it again this year.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, iHateAmpersands said:

October is here which means it's time for... Medicare Enrollment ads.

I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but every year without fail my local stations constantly airs one for Blue Cross Blue Shield that shows a couple playing cards and the wife giving her husband a smug looks as she beats him at whatever game they're playing. I seen it three times today already, so they sure to do it again this year.

Those ads drive me crazy. On top of the "I promised dad mom could always stay in their house"  and the "I think one of the girls thought I was her mother or her grandmother" atrocities I may just stick with TCM until January.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

Postmates ad in which some dude first cuts off his finger and then falls out a window screaming because he cut off his finger. WHY. WHY. This does not make me want to order from you, Postmates; it makes me want to walk away screaming.

• Like 8
  • Surprise 2

13 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Postmates ad in which some dude first cuts off his finger and then falls out a window screaming because he cut off his finger. WHY. WHY. This does not make me want to order from you, Postmates; it makes me want to walk away screaming.

I don't even know what Postmates is, but Martha Stewart looking up and saying "He'll be fine" cracks me up every time.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't even know what Postmates is, but Martha Stewart looking up and saying "He'll be fine" cracks me up every time.

I recently found out what it is, because a local Japanese restaurant fired its drivers, making customers go through UberEats or Postmates for delivery, so I just order elsewhere, but a friend ordered from there when we had movie night at her house last month -- you order from a restaurant, grocery store, etc. and it pays (which is obviously added to your charge) some random person through Postmates to pick it up and deliver to you.  You can track the driver on your smartphone (which I don't have, another reason for not using it), and the guy who delivered our food was quite possibly more drunk than we were judging by the numerous wrong turns and backtracks he took to go just a couple of miles down major roads.

Anyway, despite not being interested in the service being advertised, I also laugh at that Martha Stewart commercial, precisely because of her delivery on "He'll be fine".

• Like 6

I love pizza.

I love pepperoni pizza.

Been enjoying it for years.

but I've never had one from a pizzeria where the pepperoni is all curled up like that.

hard pass, Marco's.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Iylk/marcos-pizza-it-takes-two

When pepperoni is curled up like that, it means it's really, really greasy. Also, pepperoni is not an authentic Italian pizza ingredient. It's definitely a New World addition.

• Useful 2

For a long time I've thought Domino's Pizza commercials were beyond stupid. But I can't stand the new ones about if there's something wrong with your order they'll fix it.

The lady says, "We'll be expediting this order" and she does that thing where her voice goes up at the end like it's a question but it's not. And they're running around the restaurant taking it so seriously. Gain some perspective people. It's just a pizza.

If they come running up to my door to fix an order, they better be bringing food from a different restaurant. Domino's is gross.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 4

On 9/29/2019 at 5:27 PM, friendperidot said:

re the lady pushing a sick kid in a stroller all the way to the doctor because she doesn't have car insurance or it's cousin, the guy that hates to hitch rides, but has no choice because he doesn't have car insurance and all of the rest of their relatives, in my area, the poor side of town, that doesn't happen. It's more like "insurance, we don't need no stinkin' insurance." and they drive where they need to go anyway and hope they don't get pulled over.

Or else, people just sell the car.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, mojoween said:

I love pinball.  I love The Who.

I do not in any way love whoever the fuck owns the rights to The Who selling out to a damn Toyota ad.

The Who Sell Out 2019

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

10 hours ago, Aryanna said:

For a long time I've thought Domino's Pizza commercials were beyond stupid. But I can't stand the new ones about if there's something wrong with your order they'll fix it.

The lady says, "We'll be expediting this order" and she does that thing where her voice goes up at the end like it's a question but it's not. And they're running around the restaurant taking it so seriously. Gain some perspective people. It's just a pizza.

If they come running up to my door to fix an order, they better be bringing food from a different restaurant. Domino's is gross.

Mr. Funky hates these commercials, and he always says "How about just fixing whatever is wrong when it goes wrong?  Why come back with a different pizza at a later date?".

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Mr. Funky hates these commercials, and he always says "How about just fixing whatever is wrong when it goes wrong?  Why come back with a different pizza at a later date?".

I think the idea is they fix it now AND you get a free pizza later.  But, and I don't think they make this clear in the commercials, it's only if you're part of their rewards program.

• Like 3

Just now, Katy M said:

I think the idea is they fix it now AND you get a free pizza later.  But, and I don't think they make this clear in the commercials, it's only if you're part of their rewards program.

Ok.  Thanks - no, they don't make that clear.  I think I'm in their rewards program, but it's a waste, because if you don't buy pizza like twice a month, or a lot at once, the rewards expire quickly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Thanks for the explanation on Postmates. We can't even get GrubHub so sounds like not an option for us.

We just got DoorDash in my area, but haven’t tried it yet.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, mmecorday said:

Poor kid. He's got a combover and his parents dress him like young Forrest Gump.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oxG2/golden-corral-carved-ny-strip-butterfly-shrimp-real-new-yorker

Just went to the Golden Corral nearest to me. I can say that I will never go back to that place. The furnishings were run down, ripped chairs dirty floors. The food was lukewarm and disgusting. I asked the grill guy for a rare steak and he glares at me like I'm bothering him and cuts me off a chunk of practically raw meat. I use the restroom on the way out and it was totally disgusting. Sorry for the rant. 

Edited by margol29 · Reason: I can't spell.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

Margol29, the Golden Coral I visited recently -- and by recently I mean in the past six months -- was pretty clean and the food was decent, but I couldn't get over how expensive the buffet was! Yes, there's a lot of food on it, but for that price I'd rather go to a nice restaurant that uses locally sourced ingredients for its menu items.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've made the mistake of eating at Golden Corral extactly twice in my life.  Both were a result of seeing their commercials which indicate a completely different experience than what is reality.  Both times, the food was lukewarm, plates and silverware barely passed as clean and the workers all looked like they just got out of prison and on probation.   I seem to recall Old Country Buffet being a somewhat better establishment.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I've made the mistake of eating at Golden Corral extactly twice in my life.  Both were a result of seeing their commercials which indicate a completely different experience than what is reality.  Both times, the food was lukewarm, plates and silverware barely passed as clean and the workers all looked like they just got out of prison and on probation.   I seem to recall Old Country Buffet being a somewhat better establishment.

That's how the one in my city was. We tried it after the much better buffet restaurant closed hoping it would be a good new buffet place for us. Nope not even close.  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

They vary widely.  If you can get a new one, they're not bad.  The old ones are pretty gross.

I know a few different people who worked at different OCB's.  I won't touch them.  I tried 2 different ones before I knew them, and I wasn't impressed then. 

When I want a buffet, I tend to stick to the local ones - not chains, but locally owned one-off's where they're known for quality food and cleanliness.  You pay more, but it's a much better experience.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:54 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't even know what Postmates is...

For a long time all I could figure was that it was a service that delivered post-it notes to your door.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 14

On 10/1/2019 at 1:30 PM, proserpina65 said:

It sure isn't any better than the original, and the sodium content definitely is worse.  Depends on if that's medically important or not; not everyone is sodium sensitive.  I mentioned the vegan thing because apparently some vegans are upset about BK not being able to cook the Impossible Whopper separately.  Obviously that wouldn't necessarily be a problem for vegetarians.

Like I said, eat the Impossible Whopper if you want.  It might be very tasty.  But it's definitely not health food.

I am a vegetarian and I would be one pissed off petunia if my Impossible Whopper was cooked anywhere near real meat.  They  would have to use a separate spatula and a separate heat source. Nothing that has touched meat. 

IIRC, Burger King many years ago used to offer a veggie burger that they cooked in the microwave.    I think it was one of the Morningstar Farms burgers.   Not sure which one.

Most of the frozen veggie burgers that I have tried seem to be full of salt. 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:09 PM, proserpina65 said:

I love the new commercial where Mayhem is your cat.  Him riding on the Roomba is hysterical.

I guess watching him drag his ass on the rug couldn't get past the censors.   Deleted scene I guess.

Yes, that is a joke.  A disgusting one.

• Laugh 7

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

am a vegetarian and I would be one pissed off petunia if my Impossible Whopper was cooked anywhere near real meat.  They  would have to use a separate spatula and a separate heat source. Nothing that has touched meat. 

Then you're not going to want an Impossible Whopper.  BK uses a conveyor belt-type grill and cannot guarantee that the IW won't end up in a spot where a regular burger was.  They'd have to wait until all regular burgers already ordered had been cooked, stop the grill and clean it (which is a complicated process requiring sanitizing it as well) every single time on IW was ordered; this would bring a busy lunch/dinner time to a grinding half and cost them far more than the IW was earning them.  And most BK franchisees don't have the space for a separate non-meat grill and probably couldn't afford to retrofit their kitchen anyway.

It's simply not practical or financially beneficial for BK to grill the Impossible Whopper separately.  They can, however, cook it in the microwave using separate utensils upon request.  That's pretty much your only option there.

This is why BK does not advertise the Impossible Whopper as either vegetarian or vegan.  You'll notice that their commercials do not promise that it is either one, just not made from meat.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Most of the frozen veggie burgers that I have tried seem to be full of salt. 

They do tend to be.  It's also how manufacturers add flavor to low-fat foods when the fat is removed.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 1

They do tend to be.  It's also how manufacturers add flavor to low-fat foods when the fat is removed.

Or sugar in low fat cookies and other "healthy" desserts.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I guess watching him drag his ass on the rug couldn't get past the censors.   Deleted scene I guess.

Yes, that is a joke.  A disgusting one.

I would PAY to see Ryan O'Reily drag his butt on the carpet!

• Laugh 7
  • Surprise 1

On 10/1/2019 at 11:12 AM, smittykins said:

NEVER let these expensive pet food companies make you feel guilty or inadequate as a pet owner. F them.

If the only thing standing in the way of a pet getting a forever, loving home is the food they will be eating....who cares? The pet sure as hell doesn't! 

FYI Smittykins, depending on where you live, there are some churches, organizations that help folks with free pet food.

NOW...here comes my snark: anyone seen the commercial for "Trumpy Bear"!? Yes it's a stuffed Teddy bear named Trumpy. The people in the commercial claim they are law enforcement, firefighters, Marines etc.

No information on WHERE your money goes if you buy a Trumpy Bear but I'm pretty sure it's self explanatory.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2

Chenoa333 - I HAVE seen the Trumpy Bear commercial and it absolutely cracked me up - it played like an SNL skit and I still can't believe it's not some kind of snarky parody. 

• Like 8
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

NEVER let these expensive pet food companies make you feel guilty or inadequate as a pet owner. F them.

If the only thing standing in the way of a pet getting a forever, loving home is the food they will be eating....who cares? The pet sure as hell doesn't! 

FYI Smittykins, depending on where you live, there are some churches, organizations that help folks with free pet food.

NOW...here comes my snark: anyone seen the commercial for "Trumpy Bear"!? Yes it's a stuffed Teddy bear named Trumpy. The people in the commercial claim they are law enforcement, firefighters, Marines etc.

No information on WHERE your money goes if you buy a Trumpy Bear but I'm pretty sure it's self explanatory.

It's a for-profit company called Exceptional Products. Some people see it as a tribute to the President, while others see it as ridiculing him. Like most things, it depends on your POV.

• Like 3

Ozempic (for diabetes): it uses weight loss as a selling point.  I find that deplorable.

I also hate the ads for GoGurt where the woman literally screams, "She's becoming an INDEPENDENT CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  The yelling, the dancing.  All because her not so young child can take a GoGurt out of the fridge and put it in her lunchbox.

Edited by Brookside · Reason: Spelling of independent
  • Like 12
  • Laugh 1

10 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

Chenoa333 - I HAVE seen the Trumpy Bear commercial and it absolutely cracked me up - it played like an SNL skit and I still can't believe it's not some kind of snarky parody. 

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but ISTR a disclaimer that said “Money-back guarantee not valid on intentionally damaged bears.”

• Laugh 11

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I also hate the ads for GoGurt where the woman literally screams, "She's becoming an INDEPENDANT CHILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  The yelling, the dancing.  All because her not so young child can take a GoGurt out of the fridge and put it in her lunchbox.

THIS 100%

• Like 6

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Then you're not going to want an Impossible Whopper.  BK uses a conveyor belt-type grill and cannot guarantee that the IW won't end up in a spot where a regular burger was.  They'd have to wait until all regular burgers already ordered had been cooked, stop the grill and clean it (which is a complicated process requiring sanitizing it as well) every single time on IW was ordered; this would bring a busy lunch/dinner time to a grinding half and cost them far more than the IW was earning them.  And most BK franchisees don't have the space for a separate non-meat grill and probably couldn't afford to retrofit their kitchen anyway.

It's simply not practical or financially beneficial for BK to grill the Impossible Whopper separately.  They can, however, cook it in the microwave using separate utensils upon request.  That's pretty much your only option there.

This is why BK does not advertise the Impossible Whopper as either vegetarian or vegan.  You'll notice that their commercials do not promise that it is either one, just not made from meat.

They do tend to be.  It's also how manufacturers add flavor to low-fat foods when the fat is removed.

I guess that is the real reason the Impossible Whopper tastes so much like the real one!!

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:30 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

Matthew McConnehey ads for Lincoln.  Don't like him and never have since they tried to promote him as a new Paul Newman.  As if.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That is why I don't go out to eat.   The only way I know what I am truly eating is when I make it myself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

It's been around for a while now - they just brought it back.  So stupid.

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Ozempic (for diabetes): it uses weight loss as a selling point.  I find that deplorable.

It says you MAY lose SOME weight.  They all do, and with one of the meds I tried, I did lose weight.  I'm not sure why, but I was less hungry on it.  I've never been on Ozempic, but I was on a similar med.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

It's been around for a while now - they just brought it back.  So stupid.

It says you MAY lose SOME weight.  They all do, and with one of the meds I tried, I did lose weight.  I'm not sure why, but I was less hungry on it.  I've never been on Ozempic, but I was on a similar med.

I know all the different ads for diabetes treatments mention potential weight loss as a side effect, but this one strikes me as actively promoting their drug not just for the treatment of diabetes but because you might also lose weight.  Hence the happy chappy saying "Oh! Twelve pounds!"  I'm an editor and I tend to be a bit literal minded, so I'm happy to agree to disagree!

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 3

My SIL was on some diabetic drug that somehow forced the sugar to bypass normal digestion and sent it straight to the kidneys, so she pissed most of it away. She DID lose weight, but the drug was pulled for some other (dangerously unhealthy) reason. Now she's counting calories, like the rest of us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My SIL was on some diabetic drug that somehow forced the sugar to bypass normal digestion and sent it straight to the kidneys, so she pissed most of it away. She DID lose weight, but the drug was pulled for some other (dangerously unhealthy) reason. Now she's counting calories, like the rest of us.

That class of drugs hasn't been pulled (Farxiga, Steglatro, Invokana).  There are some warnings because of some rare side effects, but I've been on them for years and haven't had any issues.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I guess that is the real reason the Impossible Whopper tastes so much like the real one!!

Have you had one?  I wondered about it, but didn't want to spend the money in case it sucked.

• Like 1