Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And even without an underwire, she's still had elastic right up against her skin all day.  I haven't seen the commercial, but I don't have an issue with the concept as described -- even if it's not uncomfortable, sweaty, itchy, or anything unpleasant, a bra can still be something you're happy to get rid of when you get home.

When I was at my heaviest, I was in a DD cup.  I would "air out" then put it back on - even to sleep at times - because I needed the support.  Thankfully I've just recently moved in to a C cup, and more enjoy being without it.  I refuse to do undewire, though.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 5

I've always been on the small side and the bra came off when I came home. And probably the frilly shirt too, tee shirt time. But that would have happened before heading to the fridge for a beer, like a life time before drinking a beer. I hate beer, so most beer commercials are easily ignored, except the Clydesdales and my favorite Christmas card brought to you by the people of the Miller High Life Co. 

Retired now, and I never wear a bra unless I'm going out and I wear sports bras, no underwires. I tried some lacy camisole types, but my pit bull ate every one, he has no interest in the sports bras. He even wiggled the barely ajar drawer they were in to get them.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I hate all the Reese's commercials--they are too orange and the "sorry not sorry" thing is not funny and doesn't even make sense in the commercials' context. However, there's one where the doofus narrator says he swallows them "whole...like a duck" and it made me laugh really loud. Reminds me of the one time I laughed at a Sonic commercial, when the dumb guy said that everyone thought he was dead.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

When I was at my heaviest, I was in a DD cup.  I would "air out" then put it back on - even to sleep at times - because I needed the support.  Thankfully I've just recently moved in to a C cup, and more enjoy being without it.  I refuse to do undewire, though.

G cup here. The greatest joy in my life is when I am freed from my harness. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

G cup here. The greatest joy in my life is when I am freed from my harness. 

Dang.  Like anything, I'm sure it's how we're proportioned, etc.  I had too much back pain to be without one at times.

• Love 1

I hope this is the right place to post this  But the Home Advisor commercial where the person traps a friend about a referral is very annoying!  It makes me never want to call Home Advisor.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Sue Mc said:

I hope this is the right place to post this  But the Home Advisor commercial where the person traps a friend about a referral is very annoying!  It makes me never want to call Home Advisor.

Don't. I used them once for a recommendation for roof and gutter cleaning and they NEVER stop bugging you. They call, they email, etc. This was in March and I get emails from them to this day.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If it's got underwires, it probably causes discomfort no matter how small the boobage it's designed to contain.

The commercial keeps it cute and pretty probably to not upset their sensitive male viewers sensibilities--the actress has to still be considered hot for them.  To me they missed an opportunity to have a more average actress dressed like a normal American woman coming home from a long day at work.  When I come home from work, the work clothes come off and I slip into more comfortable to go with the bra coming off.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The commercial keeps it cute and pretty probably to not upset their sensitive male viewers sensibilities--the actress has to still be considered hot for them.  To me they missed an opportunity to have a more average actress dressed like a normal American woman coming home from a long day at work.  When I come home from work, the work clothes come off and I slip into more comfortable to go with the bra coming off.

When I was working the shoes came off first, then the clothes. Time for T shirt and jeans. Then onto the wine.

• Love 9

Any jeans--or are you like me and find the most ill-fitting and/or beat-up ones in the world? Haha, my "house pants" are, I think, my sister's ex's and basically dangle off my hips like old sweatpants!

My boyfriend (not a young man, haha!)--he thinks it's luxurious or something (but not Coors Light, heaven forfend).

I am being an ass and quoting myself, but I just felt like I had to share that he also likes to use Yardley of London soaps in there with his beer. This amuses me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was working the shoes came off first, then the clothes. Time for T shirt and jeans. Then onto the wine.

That was me until diabetes kicked in. Shoes stay on. And for many years, I've had jobs where I don't come in contact with the public, so plain knit shirts or casual blouses, jean, & sneakers are my work clothes, so I don't even have to change when I get home except for the bra removal.

I have trouble with the straps sliding down (I must have incredibly smooth shoulders) so the lady at the bra-fitters says I need a tighter band. No. No way in hell am I getting a tighter band. And camisole straps slide off, too. It's not the bra that's the problem - it's women's underwear with straps in general. WHY do we put up with this shit?  WHY is it so freakin' important to wear a bra in public?  I wish I were brave enough to go without one.

• Love 6

Any jeans--or are you like me and find the most ill-fitting and/or beat-up ones in the world? Haha, my "house pants" are, I think, my sister's ex's and basically dangle off my hips like old sweatpants!

Beat up jeans are the best. Scraggly jeans and an actual band t shirt from the seventies. Yes, I'm old.

• Love 11

I never wore leggings until this year and now I never want to wear anything else. I do, of course, but the silky soft ones they have at Target are so darn comfortable, especially during that time of the month.

Topic? I love Alex Trebek, but that commercial about the three P's drives me nuts. "I'm 80 years old and on a fixed income, Alex, what's my price?" "Woman, do you have oatmeal in your ears? I said $9.99!!!"

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Jeans, then?  Too fancy for sweatpants, the lot o’ ya?

Hahahhaha, oh hell no--the terrible jeans are for (A) the rare occasion when I feel like I should at least pretend that I've gotten dressed for the day, and (B) if someone other than my BF or people I've know forever are in my house. 

21 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I tend to switch to a lighter, more comfy bra from my work bra for this reason, but I think even small-busted women appreciate getting out of the work bra.

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have trouble with the straps sliding down (I must have incredibly smooth shoulders) so the lady at the bra-fitters says I need a tighter band. No. No way in hell am I getting a tighter band. And camisole straps slide off, too.

I like to say that I have "sloping Victorian shoulders" after something Trinny or Susannah said to a woman with shoulders like mine.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, peacheslatour said:

That stupid Digiorno pizza commercial where every one is yelling CHEESE!!1! has caused me reach a cataclysmic decision. I will never, ever purchase a product where they yell at me. It seems like lately marketing is not clever advertising or making a interesting point or even a humorous poke at modern consumerism  to illustrate why we should prefer to buy Brand Y over Brand X. It's who can scream the loudest. Fuck it, you yell at me, you will never see a dime from me.

If you talking about the commercial with the people yelling "cheese!" who look like they're posing for a photo, that's for Little Caesars.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:30 PM, Brattinella said:

Orville Redenbacher is still in commercials, so is Liz Taylor. 

I haven't seen an Orville Redenbacher ad for years, but recently saw an ep of Family Guy in which a bag of Pop Secret was spreading rumors about Orville and his son.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Coors has another commercial that I cannot stand.  It has a woman coming home from work getting a Coors out of the fridge while taking off her bra but leaving her frilly blouse on.  What annoys is the actress barely needs a bra and the bra she flings off is some lacy contraption with no support.  That bra should not give anyone discomfort.  

Is that the one in which she removes her bra without taking off her blouse? It wasn't clear why she was squirming on the couch for most of the commercial and then I wondered why she didn't do it the easier way.

6 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Is that the one in which she removes her bra without taking off her blouse? It wasn't clear why she was squirming on the couch for most of the commercial and then I wondered why she didn't do it the easier way.

Since I work in jeans and a t-shirt, I usually take off my bra at the end of the work day without taking off my shirt.  And speaking as someone who wasn't blessed by the Boob Fairy, I can't wait to take the bra off when I get home from work, especially in the summer.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Because she's not getting undressed yet, she's just taking off her heels and her bra to plop down on the couch with her crappy beer and unwind for a bit.  So it's easier to do it that way than take off the blouse first.

• Love 6

6 years ago I had a lumpectomy. The doctor said after the operation I had to wear a bra 24/7 for x amount of time. I have nice soft Warner bras, no underwire. I got used to it, and now the only time I don't wear a bra is in the shower.

• Love 2

I guess I'm slow on the uptake. It just occurred to me as I was watching the old game show, Supermarket Sweep, that the Charmin Bears are just an updated version of Mr. Whipple. He was always getting onto people for squeezing the Charmin and they out and out have a group love fest of squeezing the Charmin, in the dark, no less. And I dislike, am annoyed and irritated by the Charmin Bears.

• Love 1

I remember the guy who played Mr. Whipple being on the Mike Douglas Show (Yes, I am THAT old) and Douglas was highly amused that the actor named his swanky house The TeePee.

Whatever happened to Sarah Coventry jewelry? LOL. "This show has been brought to you by..."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Whatever happened to Sarah Coventry jewelry? LOL. "This show has been brought to you by..."

I live not far from the company’s former headquarters(Newark, NY).

ETA:  This is all I’ve been able to find:

In 1984, Sarah Coventry was sold to a Chicago-based firm that produced jewelry for P.B. Manufactures. In 2003, Sarah Coventry, HPP, Inc. took over the production of the jewelry and made modern versions of many products. Sarah Coventry, HPP, Inc. sold jewelry exclusively at home parties from 2003 to 2008.

Edited by smittykins
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, janie jones said:

The commercial for the Kelly Clarkson Show makes me dislike Kelly Clarkson.

I only saw part of it, but I was amused by her turning down the healthy food offered by an assistant and taking a cupcake instead.  Don't give that healthy crap when cupcakes are on offer.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I only saw part of it, but I was amused by her turning down the healthy food offered by an assistant and taking a cupcake instead.  Don't give that healthy crap when cupcakes are on offer.

Is this a commercial, or an episode of the show?  If so, I haven't seen that commercial, only the one where she recounts that her friend told her that everything is the Kelly Clarkson Show.

Saw an advert recently which I assume was for a cell provider who offers insurance on their phones.  Anyway, in the ad a group of people are out boating and one woman has her phone sitting on the edge of the boat (I mean why worry?  It's insured right?) and it falls in the water.  You see the phone sinking in the lake and then the woman pauses for a sec before sitting back with a laugh as the boat heads off across the water.  Yeah right. I don't care how well-insured my phone is.  If I'm on vacay and it gets lost or destroyed I'm going to be pretty upset.  I doubt the company is mailing me a fresh phone anytime soon and no matter what it's a pita...

• Love 10

I was bombarded by that Best Western ad when they were sponsors for spring training games on MLB Network.  I think they've altered the ad slightly since then to have her emphasize the word Today's, like that helps or makes her look less stupid.  There's also a version where, after all the pictures of Best Western stuff flies out of her phone, she squeals, "WOW!"  Fortunately I think I've only seen that one once.

• Love 1

I didn’t think it was possible, but the ad wizards for Toyota have managed to make Toyotathon Jan even more annoying. The new country duet she “sings” commercial is a masterpiece of suck. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Jeep ads with Jeremy Renner- is it just me, or is there a strong odor of douche nozzle about this guy? Why would a marketing firm think of him as the 'face' of their brand?

I have no idea who Jeremy Renner is.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have no idea who Jeremy Renner is.

2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

He played Hawkeye in the Avengers movies and I think he got an Oscar Award for The Hurt Locker. He seems pretty cool, from what I've seen.

And according to the Jeep commercial--he's a singer.

• Love 1

I've been seeing a commercial for indeed.com that takes place in an office setting. Someone in the office is being promoted. The camera focuses on this smug-looking woman named Claire who looks like she assumes she has a lock on the promotion. But she doesn't get it -- some guy does. Instead of looking crestfallen, there's a flicker of resentment on her face. "This wasn't the first time she was passed over for a promotion," a voice tells us. But wait -- her mobile phone is ringing. "But it'll be the last time."

Come on. Maybe Claire isn't qualified. Or she smells like elderberries. Maybe she's one of those coworkers who eats granola bars at her desk and chews loudly and deliberately. Maybe she's habitually late and always blames the Uber driver or the subway not running on time. Perhaps she takes credit for other people's work. Maybe she accidentally mistook the boss's sugar substitute for rat poison and nearly killed him. Could be the majority of her Facebook posts are about how much she hates the place where she works and she just wants to go home to her She Shed (provided it's not on fire), take off her shoes and her bra and crack open a cold Coors Light.

• LOL 21