Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

"My self-absorbed wretch's judgement is so execrable that he/she shouldn't be trusted with a motor vehicle, but now technology saves me from listening to all the whining about having to stay home! I can put the lives of bystanders at risk with a clear conscience!" 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 8/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, funky-rat said:

I'd put up with it to not have to drive 1.5 hours to a WaWa.  I'm firmly in Sheetz country.  🤢

At least you can drive, I have to fly. ☹️ I only travel to the Philly area a few times a year but it  seems like it’s always Hoagie Fest.

Just saw a commercial which I think is new. A guy is in the shower, I think it is Spanish singing. Then he reaches for a can of Coors Light to drink in the shower! The ad says "Coors, the best beer to drink in the shower" or something like that. WTF?? Who drinks beer In the shower?? Alcoholic much???

Edited by Gramto6
Typo
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Just saw a commercial which I think is new. A guy is in the shower, I think it is Spanish singing. Then he reaches for a can of Coors Light to drink in the shower! The ad says "Coors, the best beer to drink in the shower" or something like that. WTF?? Who drinks beer In the shower?? Alcoholic much???

The Sporkful podcast has actually discussed this...

http://www.sporkful.com/calls-how-do-you-eat-an-ice-cream-sandwich-in-the-shower/

http://www.sporkful.com/new-years-food-resolutions-our-favorite-episode-of-the-year/

A glass of wine in a bubble bath I can understand. Drinking or eating under running water...no.

Edited by ams1001
I do not know how I quoted myself in the same post...
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The ads for that dog movie—The Art of Racing in the Rain. The whole thing annoys me. Looks embarrassingly bad. The dog’s voice sounds like a craggy old man. Turns out it is Kevin Costner! Is that his real voice?? I don’t know why, but the ads just enrage. Lol. 

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The ads for that dog movie—The Art of Racing in the Rain. The whole thing annoys me. Looks embarrassingly bad. The dog’s voice sounds like a craggy old man. Turns out it is Kevin Costner! Is that his real voice?? I don’t know why, but the ads just enrage. Lol. 

I agree, very annoying ad.  And I really don't need another dead dog movie.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The Sporkful podcast has actually discussed this...

http://www.sporkful.com/calls-how-do-you-eat-an-ice-cream-sandwich-in-the-shower/

http://www.sporkful.com/new-years-food-resolutions-our-favorite-episode-of-the-year/

A glass of wine in a bubble bath I can understand. Drinking or eating under running water...no.

If something is the premise of a Seinfeld episode, that’s a big clue it’s a bad idea.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Pickles said:

It is one of my favorite books ever.  The dog's voice is like a craggy old man because he's a craggy old dog reflecting on his life.  It's a beautiful story and Enzo (the dog) is a delightful narrator.  I cannot wait to see the movie next week, even though I know movies never live up to the books.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"My self-absorbed wretch's judgement is so execrable that he/she shouldn't be trusted with a motor vehicle, but now technology saves me from listening to all the whining about having to stay home! I can put the lives of bystanders at risk with a clear conscience!" 

Yeesh!  That was horrible!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

It's just a thing young dudes do. They usually grow out of it.

• Love 4

My boyfriend (not a young man, haha!)--he thinks it's luxurious or something (but not Coors Light, heaven forfend).

But I don't see a problem; ladies drink wine in a bathtub (so TV has told me, at least).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

Not that I'd ever buy SuperBeets, but having former NRA-TV "personality" Dana Loesch as your spokesperson assures that I won't. You gotta wonder the thinking (or lack of it) that went into that choice. I guess Hitler and Idi Amin were too busy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 8/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

One piece of technology they should have put in is a seat-height adjustment. The girl can barely see over the dashboard.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Is it written somewhere that all TV ads for birth control have to be horrible?

I can't wait for the ads from the personal injury lawyers when it turns out Lolo causes... (your guess here).

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/3/2019 at 10:29 AM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

On 8/4/2019 at 5:29 AM, funky-rat said:

Yeesh!  That was horrible!

2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

One piece of technology they should have put in is a seat-height adjustment. The girl can barely see over the dashboard.

I just noticed that in the aftermath of each accident the damn idiot driver is still staring at his/her phone, even the kid whose car is spinning on its roof. That's depressing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I can't wait for the ads from the personal injury lawyers when it turns out Lolo causes... (your guess here).

That's what I think every time I see a birth control commercial. Debating between four or five years from now we'll be seeing a commercial for a law firm about problems with that birth control and to call them. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CoderLady said:

I just noticed that in the aftermath of each accident the damn idiot driver is still staring at his/her phone, even the kid whose car is spinning on its roof. That's depressing.

Maybe the spinning kid is calling 911. The one eating lunch probably already did.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My boyfriend (not a young man, haha!)--he thinks it's luxurious or something (but not Coors Light, heaven forfend).

But I don't see a problem; ladies drink wine in a bathtub (so TV has told me, at least).

I used to drink root beer in the shower after mowing the lawn.  (I probably still would if I had a lawn to mow.)

2 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I thought the "aftermath" was showing what caused the accident.

• Love 4
On 8/3/2019 at 8:40 PM, Dirtybubble said:

I have no words for how annoying this lady is.  I guess she's supposed to be funny but I fell like smashing her head against the tree!  Yay, you're not constipated now go away

UGGGGGH!! That one makes me want to throw a shoe through my TV. Make it stop!!!!! 😠😠😠😠😠

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Sorry, In a bit of a rush so was unable to check for previous post but I have 3 and 1/2 that irritate.

1) the bitch with statefarm insurance so

"DONT MESS WITH MY DISCOUNT!" My family teases me cause I have been saying this ever since I turned 50 and was able to get my AARP card, but the labor and not letting her kid pee and her screaming for insurance is annoying.

2)Hotels.com commercial with couple in bathroom and captain obvious.  The woman is in the tub and the hubby is taking a shit right next to her. GROSS...I dont need commercials with people on the toilet be it babies or adults. Yuck. Yes the romance is dead.

3) jimmy dean sausage.  All of them play a horrible harmonica riff over and over again which just seems to seek out my spinal chord and sends a teeth grinding shock wave giving me a migraine.

1/2 one is on behalf of my chihuahua. The CHEWY.com...quit ringing the damn doorbell and flipping him.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

There's an ad for a booking site that has a bunch of guys each saying they booked the last room. It bugs because the company doesn't seem to understand that cancellations happen, and when they do, somebody else can get the new "last" room. It's like they just have a web site and agreements with other companies and never bothered to learn the business they're fronting.

• Love 3

That stupid Digiorno pizza commercial where every one is yelling CHEESE!!1! has caused me reach a cataclysmic decision. I will never, ever purchase a product where they yell at me. It seems like lately marketing is not clever advertising or making a interesting point or even a humorous poke at modern consumerism  to illustrate why we should prefer to buy Brand Y over Brand X. It's who can scream the loudest. Fuck it, you yell at me, you will never see a dime from me.

• Love 6
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 9:12 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I'd be concerned that water would get into the beer.  Like you could tell the difference with Coors Light.

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I saw a Jimmy Dean breakfast ad the other day. He said we had no idea how warm a good breakfast makes him feel. I yelled at the TV, "You're perpetually cold because you're dead, fool."

5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

And then he says something like, "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this." To which I reply, "But you can't because you're dead!"

Why oh why did he get a resurgence of his career after death?  Did he intend to be the spokesman for Jimmy Dean sausages in perpetuity?  Did his family hate him or are they greedy bastards? 

• Love 9

The McDonalds ad with the "Summertime" song.  Everyone is having a horrible time except the woman eating an unwrapped burger while wearing light beige khakis,  Which in real life would have ketchup and mustard on them within seconds.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

The woman with the tiny swirl of hair on top of her head in that sweaty pits prescription wipe commercial looks like she had a bite-size cinnamon roll on her head. That look is almost as bad as the drenched underarms.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Orville Redenbacher is still in commercials, so is Liz Taylor. 

Somehow the decades-old footage of Elizabeth Taylor, repeated seasonally year after year, does not bother me like the voice-over from Jimmy Dean; with the White Diamonds commercial, it's clearly a rerun of an old production, somewhat like how I spend every New Year's Eve watching an old movie starring a bunch of people who have since died (After the Thin Man).  But the Jimmy Dean commercial came out after his death, I think, or maybe it just feels that way to me -- a purposely new offering using old audio of a now-dead person. 

The verbiage definitely doesn't help: "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this"?  It's inevitable that I will grouse at the TV, "Um, you're dead.  You don't exist anymore.  Therefore, by definition, you cannot feel anything let alone express that feeling to me."

• Love 13
On 8/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, Gramto6 said:

Lots of people! When we were younger, my roomates and I would often drink a “shower beer” when we were getting ready to go out for the evening. No alcoholics amongst us. It was just for fun.

But never Coors Light—blech! Yuengling all the way. 

On 8/6/2019 at 2:31 AM, Poohbear617 said:

1/2 one is on behalf of my chihuahua. The CHEWY.com...quit ringing the damn doorbell and flipping him.

Yes!! This one and the Postmates ads with Martha Stewart send my dog into a tizzy! 

Edited by Duke2801
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Colbert mentioned that Coors shower ad on his show last night, and noted that at one point there's a disclaimer in the ad that says, "Do not attempt." So they've got a slogan talking about how great this beer is to drink in the shower...but you shouldn't attempt to do so. Mmkay. 

• LOL 10
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Somehow the decades-old footage of Elizabeth Taylor, repeated seasonally year after year, does not bother me like the voice-over from Jimmy Dean; with the White Diamonds commercial, it's clearly a rerun of an old production, somewhat like how I spend every New Year's Eve watching an old movie starring a bunch of people who have since died (After the Thin Man). 

Yeah, knowing that it only airs during Christmas makes a difference. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Brookside said:

The McDonalds ad with the "Summertime" song.  Everyone is having a horrible time except the woman eating an unwrapped burger while wearing light beige khakis,  Which in real life would have ketchup and mustard on them within seconds.

And grease. Unlike BK, McDonalds doesn't do anything to get rid of the fat, instead calling their burgers "juicy" and making it a selling point.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, Gramto6 said:

I enjoy a shower beer usually after mowing the lawn or a day at the beach, but never Coors Light.  I haven't had a problem with water or soap getting in, I keep the beer on the shelf on the other side of my shower.  

Coors has another commercial that I cannot stand.  It has a woman coming home from work getting a Coors out of the fridge while taking off her bra but leaving her frilly blouse on.  What annoys is the actress barely needs a bra and the bra she flings off is some lacy contraption with no support.  That bra should not give anyone discomfort.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Somehow the decades-old footage of Elizabeth Taylor, repeated seasonally year after year, does not bother me like the voice-over from Jimmy Dean; with the White Diamonds commercial, it's clearly a rerun of an old production, somewhat like how I spend every New Year's Eve watching an old movie starring a bunch of people who have since died (After the Thin Man).  But the Jimmy Dean commercial came out after his death, I think, or maybe it just feels that way to me -- a purposely new offering using old audio of a now-dead person. 

The verbiage definitely doesn't help: "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this"?  It's inevitable that I will grouse at the TV, "Um, you're dead.  You don't exist anymore.  Therefore, by definition, you cannot feel anything let alone express that feeling to me."

Exactly!  That makes a huge difference in that it seems like they intend people not to realize that Jimmy Dean is dead.  So creepy.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Coors has another commercial that I cannot stand.  It has a woman coming home from work getting a Coors out of the fridge while taking off her bra but leaving her frilly blouse on.  What annoys is the actress barely needs a bra and the bra she flings off is some lacy contraption with no support.  That bra should not give anyone discomfort.  

I'm pretty flat chested but wear a bra if I'm going to be out in public.  You can have small boobs but still jiggle.  The bra comes off when I get home.  And I haven't worn lace underwear since my dating years, many decades ago.  Cotton all the way, thank you Marks and Sparks.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

What annoys is the actress barely needs a bra and the bra she flings off is some lacy contraption with no support.  That bra should not give anyone discomfort.  

If it's got underwires, it probably causes discomfort no matter how small the boobage it's designed to contain.

• Love 15

And even without an underwire, she's still had elastic right up against her skin all day.  I haven't seen the commercial, but I don't have an issue with the concept as described -- even if it's not uncomfortable, sweaty, itchy, or anything unpleasant, a bra can still be something you're happy to get rid of when you get home.

• Love 20