Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Well, now I feel like a pig! I eat the whole box myself in one sitting. I've been eating it like that for years. 

Oh, I should have been clear; I eat it as a side dish.  On the even more rare occasions (generally involving a hangover) I make a bowl of it as a meal, I don't cut it in half; I, too, make the whole box. 

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Count me in on the Anna Kendrick puzzlement.  I saw one of the Pitch Perfect commercials.. .that is where I know her from.  I had never noticed her legs before the commercials; it is like she is walking on stilts and it is not comfortable for her.  Is it the fit of her jeans?  Are her legs spaghetti noodles?  Mr. Kemper looked up and comments "that girl has really long legs" or some such.  Is that it?  They are not merely super super super skinny?  They are just long? (Something my stumps have always envied)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

I’ve seen British writers use “bath” as a verb, but it looks(and sounds)all kinds of wrong.

Having lived in England until I was 10, it doesn't sound entirely wrong to me, but it would certainly not be my first choice anymore. There is a certain cozy familiarity to it, though, I'll admit...

• Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 7:00 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

At one place I worked, you could get paper cuts wiping yourself, the tissue was that horrible.

We used to call stuff like that “John Wayne toilet paper.” It’s rough, tough, and don’t take no shit from no one. 

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Kemper said:

Count me in on the Anna Kendrick puzzlement.  I saw one of the Pitch Perfect commercials.. .that is where I know her from.  I had never noticed her legs before the commercials; it is like she is walking on stilts and it is not comfortable for her.  Is it the fit of her jeans?  Are her legs spaghetti noodles?  Mr. Kemper looked up and comments "that girl has really long legs" or some such.  Is that it?  They are not merely super super super skinny?  They are just long? (Something my stumps have always envied)

She seems to have skinny stick legs and wider hips, so it may look a little odd. I do like the one where she says "Get out of here!" and spits her gum.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, andromeda331 said:

I remember that commercial. It made me think the person who came up with it came from money and has no idea what normal families can afford. I grew up eating tuna noodle casserole regularly and so did most of the families I knew whether they were poor or middle class. It was a cheap meal when your on a budget. Then at the end of the commercial you see the kids with a huge steak on their plate like that's normal. Ah, that's something you either can never afford or have to save up for. 

EW! And the steak looks all dry and gray and is, I think, just stark all by itself on a plate!

The weird part of that commercial is that the woman pushing the baby stroller clearly lives in a large city.  Which means she has to pay to park her car somewhere, or has to periodically move her car, right?  I mean, yes, there are apartment buildings in big cities that have parking garages/lots, but I would imagine the people who live in those buildings can afford card insurance.  Maybe, I'm overthinking.

And there's one with a guy who can't afford both car insurance and a haircut. Like how much was that haircut, dude? And if I remember right, he didn't have much hair--he could probably just use a buzzer thing on himself like my BF does!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I think Anna Kendrick's legs are what I'd call knock-kneed.  I first noticed her legs in the movie Up In The Air.

The Gatorade commercial with Dwayne Wade and Gabrielle Union:  I don't have a problem with them but I HATE that "song" they're playing.  I grab the remote every time they play that commercial. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It’s rough, tough, and don’t take no shirt from no one. 

But, but, it's whole purpose of toilet paper is to take shit from people. That's it's job! lol

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, BigBingerBro said:

OK, my tuna casserole rant is done.

Most things with the word "casserole" in it is "white-trash cooking." I ate a lot of casserole as a kid and also a lot of SOS, which is even one step below casserole. I'd rather have my mouth washed out with Lifebuoy than eat SOS.

• Love 2

Ladies and gentlemen, Chevy Douche has reappeared with a fresh batch of vapid knobs commenting on a car. Thank the good lord, right? I’ve missed sharp, incisive observations such as “this is my sexy mom car” and “it looks like a piece of candy.” Take a big bite then, lady. Another person declares the vehicle “dope,” although they might be commenting on Potsch, who is standing off to the side with a coy smile and shrugged shoulders as he tells us that the product speaks for itself. Really, man? I think the car is probably more eloquent than most of those focus group participants. Chevy, you’re making me sad that the people in your commercial are not actors paid to say really dumb things. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

You might want to try Šunkofleky then. Another horror from my childhood.

http://www.czechinthekitchen.com/2013/04/15/noodle-casserole-czech-sunkafleky/

I'm with you - I'm not much of a casserole fan, and I'd use a recipe like that one as an example of why not.  (Especially the variation made by some of the commenters, who top it with dollops of ketchup!)

Getting back to commercials, I don't know who Anna Kendrick is, and none of these recent descriptions of her Hilton commercials sounded familiar, so I just looked a few up.  They were mostly neither annoying nor entertaining, but I did laugh at her booking the rest of her family on vacation in Miami and booking herself into the Waldorf Astoria in Beverly Hills.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Chevy Douche has reappeared with a fresh batch of vapid knobs commenting on a car. Thank the good lord, right? I’ve missed sharp, incisive observations such as “this is my sexy mom car” and “it looks like a piece of candy.” Take a big bite then, lady. Another person declares the vehicle “dope,” although they might be commenting on Potsch, who is standing off to the side with a coy smile and shrugged shoulders as he tells us that the product speaks for itself. Really, man? I think the car is probably more eloquent than most of those focus group participants. Chevy, you’re making me sad that the people in your commercial are not actors paid to say really dumb things. 

Oh, man!  I thought we were done with Mister Dripasaurus.  Ye Gods he is awful!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Most things with the word "casserole" in it is "white-trash cooking." I ate a lot of casserole as a kid and also a lot of SOS, which is even one step below casserole. I'd rather have my mouth washed out with Lifebuoy than eat SOS.

What's SOS?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, janie jones said:

What's SOS?

Shit on a Shingle.  It's a military thing, some sort of creamed, chipped/ground beef nastiness served on toast.  People who actually consume it can link you to a typical recipe; I only know it by reputation.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I don't eat meat now, but I used to love creamed chipped beef on toast or on mashed potatoes.  I don't know how my mother made it, but now you can buy an excellent frozen version from Stouffer's.  My father was in the Marines during WWII, in the South Pacific where any food was scarce (Fruit Bat Surprise!) -- they never received SOS like the Army in Europe did, so he never had a chance to get tired of it and he loves it to this day.

• Love 6

We had that a lot, too, but since I hate it, I ate just the toast those nights.  No special meals for the special child!  If we didn't eat what my mother made (or at least some part of it), we didn't eat.

• Love 4

I just saw a new version of the Stanley Steemer ad where the kid hits himself in the crotch.  He doesn't do that anymore, but the other kid still spews out his pink beverage and wrecks the carpet.  I guess they got complaints about showing a kid hitting himself in the crotch?

• Love 1
On 4/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, configdotsys said:

Kars for Kids has been fined many times. I would not give them a thing:

I hate their f'n commercial and now I have even more reason to hate K4K. I always thought this was a scam and it is. I find it hard to believe that a charity/non-profit org wouldn't keep the nicer, more upscale donated cars, for themselves (Mercedes, Lexus etc). 

On an even more depressing note: Courtney is back! Yes folks, after all these years of looking for a mate on Match.com....she is still available! So hurry guys! Courtney won't be waiting around forever 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I hate their f'n commercial and now I have even more reason to hate K4K. I always thought this was a scam and it is. I find it hard to believe that a charity/non-profit org wouldn't keep the nicer, more upscale donated cars, for themselves (Mercedes, Lexus etc). 

On an even more depressing note: Courtney is back! Yes folks, after all these years of looking for a mate on Match.com....she is still available! So hurry guys! Courtney won't be waiting around forever 😁

She's harder to find than Waldo.

• LOL 5
On 5/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, chessiegal said:

I know the ad you're referring to. I have no idea who Anna Kendrick is. The only thing I've ever seen her in is the Hilton ad where in addition to touting Hilton she's also talking about the Hilton app. I love Hilton properties, especially Hampden Inn (hot breakfast!) and DoubleTree (Chocolate Chip cookies!) And their app is awesome. I've used it to check in before we get there, pick my room, and you can use it as a room key. They are also replacing their tub/shower combos with a huge walk-in shower. Not sure what parents with young children do, but I appreciate getting rid of the tub which is a fall hazard for this old lady.

Girlie, you give yourself away as a Virginian. HamPTON not Hampden. Unless you're talking about the college. 😄

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Girlie, you give yourself away as a Virginian. HamPTON not Hampden. Unless you're talking about the college. 😄

But all good Virginians know that it's Hampton Roads!  🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, fairffaxx said:

they never received SOS like the Army in Europe did, so he never had a chance to get tired of it and he loves it to this day.

My father liked KP because he got to eat more Army food, which goes to show what we were eating as kids.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The ProEnamel toothpaste commercial is nails on a chalkboard to me!  The nasally voice and halting cadence of her speaking drives me nuts and does not instill credibility.  I get, you wanted a female of diversity, but really this was the best you could do?  You left me thinking women aren’t capable of being competent dentists and I’m female.

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:31 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

Is that the one in which someone says "That car has a scary face!"?

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, Browncoat said:

No special meals for the special child! 

I always referred to SOS (the chipped beef version) as "creamed manila folder on toast", much to my parents' dislike.

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

The ProEnamel toothpaste commercial is nails on a chalkboard to me!  The nasally voice and halting cadence of her speaking drives me nuts and does not instill credibility.  I get, you wanted a female of diversity, but really this was the best you could do?  You left me thinking women aren’t capable of being competent dentists and I’m female.

Which one? I've seen about 5 of them. The worst ones are the super condescending bitch who informs us that the toothpaste is pro enamel which means it's good for your enamel (you fucking morons!). The other one which is the one I think you mean is the lady with the flat, nasal delivery.

• Love 3
(edited)

I loathe the Charmin bears, the Care.com "Am I cute kid", and the kid that asks what the dishwasher does.      I hate the snack pack of the cheetos, etc., multipacks too.  

The VRBO commercials are irritating to me.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:29 PM, Bastet said:

Shit on a Shingle.  It's a military thing, some sort of creamed, chipped/ground beef nastiness served on toast.  People who actually consume it can link you to a typical recipe; I only know it by reputation.

The only time I remember eating it was when Mom made it for my uncle, who requested it,  when we were visiting him after his wife had died. Mom made it with a package of chipped beef, cream, and hard boiled eggs and I remember liking it, despite all the bad things I had heard about it.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

and the kid that asks what the dishwasher does.     

I've become fascinated watching her mouth when she talks.  It looks really odd for some reason.

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loathe the...kid that asks what the dishwasher does. 

My GF washes stuff before she puts it in her dishwasher, and I always ask her why she does.  A quick rinse to get any big food bits off, maybe a little better rinse if it's going to be a day or so before I run the dishwasher, but I don't get why you wash them before running them in the dishwasher.  So put me on the side of the kid.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

My GF washes stuff before she puts it in her dishwasher, and I always ask her why she does.  A quick rinse to get any big food bits off, maybe a little better rinse if it's going to be a day or so before I run the dishwasher, but I don't get why you wash them before running them in the dishwasher.  So put me on the side of the kid.

I'm on the kid's side, too.  Plus, I think she's kind of cute. I don't get all the hate for her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think she's kind of cute. I don't get all the hate for her.

I agree.  I think she does a good job delivering her line. Most of these kids don't bother me, even if the commercial does. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't get all the hate for her.

The worst ads with kids are local ads where they hire their relatives' kids.  One of the classic worst if you lived in the Chicago area was Timmy for Long Chevrolet.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I always referred to SOS (the chipped beef version) as "creamed manila folder on toast", much to my parents' dislike.

Blech.  My parents liked it because they grew up with it (and my dad was in the Air Force), but I don't like white gravy, so I don't care for it.  Here, they make it with hamburger.  I used to say that you would be calling for SOS after eating it.  They too didn't find it amusing.  I wouldn't eat it - I'd make a sandwich and a can of soup.

ETA: I've tried it with dried beef, and with sausage - doesn't make a difference.  Still don't like it. 

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Blech.  My parents liked it because they grew up with it (and my dad was in the Air Force), but I don't like white gravy, so I don't care for it.  Here, they make it with hamburger.  I used to say that you would be calling for SOS after eating it.  They too didn't find it amusing.  I wouldn't eat it - I'd make a sandwich and a can of soup.

ETA: I've tried it with dried beef, and with sausage - doesn't make a difference.  Still don't like it. 

My dad was in the Air Force too. We used to have SOS when I was really young and we were still using the PX and had a food stipend. When my dad got out and started making better money it disappeared from our table. I don't think any of us liked it.

12 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Biscuits and gravy are a staple on every menu in my area.  Mmmm.

They are here too, as is "Country Mess", which is a bowl with scrambled eggs, all kinds of meats, onions, potatoes, and it's all topped with gravy.  Sometimes it has chese.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Biscuits and gravy are a staple on every menu in my area.  Mmmm.

I have developed a taste for that since I've been living in the South.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

They are here too, as is "Country Mess", which is a bowl with scrambled eggs, all kinds of meats, onions, potatoes, and it's all topped with gravy.  Sometimes it has chese.

That delectable dish is known around these parts as a "Pile-Up" and it is scrumptious!

• Love 3