Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

21 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I have no idea who Anna Kendrick is either.

I didn't either. A quick peek at IMDB suggests that you probably wouldn't if you haven't seen any Twilight or Pitch Perfect movies.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

you probably wouldn't if you haven't seen any Twilight or Pitch Perfect movies.

Which is why I'd never heard of her, I've not seen any of those.

• Love 3

Moose135, count yourself lucky. Those "Twilight" movies suck more than "Ishtar."

Those Hilton commercials don't make me want to stay at one of their hotels; they make me want to stay away from Anna Kendrick.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Moose135, count yourself lucky. Those "Twilight" movies suck more than "Ishtar."

Those Hilton commercials don't make me want to stay at one of their hotels; they make me want to stay away from Anna Kendrick.

Ishtar always makes me think of the line from a Gilmore Girls episode Lorelai suggesting it to Rory after Dean broke up with her the 1st time as one of the movies to watch and wallow from the break up, Rory says she doesn't want to be that kind of girl and Lorelai asks "The kind of girl who watches Ishtar?" Rory meant wallowing but it was funny. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I had to look up the commercials on Google b/c I was drawing a blank. Oh yeah, I didn't realize they were for Hilton and yeah, she's obnoxious.

• Love 1
On 5/1/2019 at 8:46 AM, Ohwell said:

There's a Nutella commercial where the mom is making "breakfast" for the family, which consists of her slapping some Nutella on bread.  She thinks she should get thanks for making breakfast.  She annoys the hell out of me.    

I'd thank her!

On 5/1/2019 at 7:40 PM, Ubiquitous said:

I don't like the one with the unseen dog vigorously humping her leg.

I hate that she seems to want to just buy a new dog.

20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just saw a Bob Furniture's store where they had a bunch of people who had never heard of a store, and were amazed that people would drive to a store, and "tell me more about this store thing."  

I get it.  Internet shopping. But, come on. Everybody has been to some kind of store at least once in their life.  

I actually find that commercial pretty funny.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been sick, doctor was threatening hospital, but I think I may be on the road to recovery. But I'm extra grumpy because I'm sick/ The bear parents that won't pick up their kid's underwear off the floor, parents usually have to deal with a lot more gross things than boy's dirty underwear, not much, but children can do really gross things. But, why wouldn't they be clean? Have we ever seen those bears wearing underwear or any clothing, for that matter?

Then there's the ad for the Grandpad, I've been irritated by that one for a while, but wasn't exactly sure how to describe what irritated me. I hate perky screechers. "We're getting married!" "You're going to be a Great-Grandma!" And then the lucky great-grandmother to be makes this "oh" sound that my mother used to make when she felt that she had to respond positively to something she hated. And when GG picks up her Grandpad and reaches customer service, the young dude, says "what can I help you with, Mary (or whatever name)?" I hate when youngsters address me by my first name without some sort of title, Aunt, Miss. I actually prefer Ms Last name when I speak to strangers especially young people. I was raised to do that and I would never presume to address my parent's friends by their first name. And, as I said I hate the perky screechers who think their news is the best thing in the world...for the world. I get that they are excited, but most of the rest of us don't give a tinker's dam.

Ok, I'm going to find something to eat and put a dog out.

Edited by friendperidot
corrected spelling/typo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

My most hated commercial right now has to be Botox Cosmetics for millennials. There is more generational cliche and stereotype packed in one commercial that I've ever seen. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Kathy Lee Gifford doing a weird musical ad for TAKL: ' Need to screw it, need to glue it, need to mount it on a wall'. Need you to go back to retirement, is all.

Hiring somebody to take out the kitchen trash, feed your dog, or get you a glass of wine seems a bit pampered.

• Love 2
On 5/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

I wish they'd stop using the ring tone that came with my phone in commercials. It's as annoying as radio ads that use sirens and screeching brakes.

For me it's when they have a phone on vibrate. That sound, of the phone vibrating against whatever hard surface it is on goes right through me. I have to hit mute as fast as possible. 

1 hour ago, slensam said:

My most hated commercial right now has to be Botox Cosmetics for millennials. There is more generational cliche and stereotype packed in one commercial that I've ever seen. 

That one just makes me sad. Is this really where we are as a species? That looking 30 is now too old looking? That the first sign of a crease in ones skin should send them running to throw their money away? Have we become that shallow, vein and gullible? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I hate when youngsters address me by my first name without some sort of title, Aunt, Miss. I actually prefer Ms Last name when I speak to strangers especially young people. I was raised to do that and I would never presume to address my parent's friends by their first name.

I've gotten used to it, especially in doctors' offices. I have a Polish last name and the people born & raised in the American Southeast are seemingly afraid of ethnic names and refuse to attempt to pronounce them. First names are OK by them. I am convinced it's why I was unemployed for so long - I'd send in a résumé, HR would see an unpronounceable name, and I'd get moved to the bottom of the stack. Nobody was gonna call me for an interview and give me the upper hand in the conversation by them not knowing how to pronounce my name.

58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am convinced it's why I was unemployed for so long - I'd send in a résumé, HR would see an unpronounceable name, and I'd get moved to the bottom of the stack. Nobody was gonna call me for an interview and give me the upper hand in the conversation by them not knowing how to pronounce my name.

When I was a teenager, I put in an application to McDonald's.  They called me for an interview and asked for not quite my name.  I just said it correctly, not meanly, or anything, and she was like "Whatever!" all snottily.  That was the last time for a long time that I corrected pronunciation. Until a few years later, I had two co-workers misprouncing my name.  I corrected the one that I worked with every day.  He corrected my pronouncing it in a worse way, so I haven't corrected again.  LOL.

But, for work a few years ago, I had to listen to these seminars on customer service, and the guy said that if you know a custoemr's first name, address them by it.  Especially if they are older as nobody calls them by their first name and therefore they will be delighted to hear it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, for work a few years ago, I had to listen to these seminars on customer service, and the guy said that if you know a custoemr's first name, address them by it.  Especially if they are older as nobody calls them by their first name and therefore they will be delighted to hear it.

People get paid to put on seminars to spread bad manners. I am NOT delighted to hear my first name. I do not like my first name. I have a nickname based on my last name - sort of an "Andy Anderson" kind of deal - and that's the name I go by. Delighted? No, because when someone calls my name, they usually want something from me. Yes, I am a grumpy old broad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

People get paid to put on seminars to spread bad manners. I am NOT delighted to hear my first name. I do not like my first name. I have a nickname based on my last name - sort of an "Andy Anderson" kind of deal - and that's the name I go by. Delighted? No, because when someone calls my name, they usually want something from me. Yes, I am a grumpy old broad.

I think that's the only time it pays to have a first and last name that no one can pronounce. You can always tell right away their trying to sell you something when only your family and friends can pronounce both. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, slensam said:

Like any of them really need Botox in the first place. I hate in when the have actors who are too young for ads obviously directed at older adults.  I can't wait for the twenty-year-old advertising the UpWalker.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

The two most hated commercials now for me are the new Baskin Robbins commercials with the awful cgi mouths superimposed over people's faces. Horrifying. And if I never see Terry Bradshaw happily sitting in a bubble filled bath, scrubbing away, and doing some stupid dance moves outside the tub, I'll be a happy girl. 

Nutella is nasty, IMO. Looks like spreadable shit. I don't like hazelnut anyway. 

I also have no idea who Anna Kendrick is. 

My first and last name rhyme. The next person who points that out will get throat punched. Also the next time anyone calls me Harley. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Nutella is nasty, IMO. Looks like spreadable shit. I don't like hazelnut anyway.  

I don't know how you feel about it but Nutella uses up one-quarter of the WORLD's hazelnut supply. Yep, 25 % of all hazelnuts cultivated go to the manufacture of this 'why can't this be CHOCOLATE?' spread. Take heart that perhaps the commercial will turn off enough of potential consumers to possibly ensure hazelnuts will have a more diverse fate in the future. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I don't know how you feel about it but Nutella uses up one-quarter of the WORLD's hazelnut supply. Yep, 25 % of all hazelnuts cultivated go to the manufacture of this 'why can't this be CHOCOLATE?' spread. Take heart that perhaps the commercial will turn off enough of potential consumers to possibly ensure hazelnuts will have a more diverse fate in the future. 

Wow! I had no idea.  😳 That's a crazy amount. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Seriously, that stuff makes me cringe.  I won't eat it.  Hazelnut creamer, too.  What's wrong with just plain peanut butter?  Or chocolate?

• Love 6

There is an ad for...something or other...financial planning maybe? I don’t know and the girl says something like “I know what it’s like to grow up without financial stability.  We ate a LOT of leftovers.”

Um.  What the fuck?  Only poor people eat leftovers?  If you use their financial planning service you will throw all of your food away?  

I wish I could remember what it was for so I could actively not use it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Reese’s makes a peanut butter-chocolate spread that is to die for on toast.

If that’s your flavor weakness and you’ve never had it I’m either about to change your world for the better or ruin it. Haagen Dazs PB and chocolate. And it’s consistently good. I’ve had enough to verify this. I’ll be like ok I’m done. Oh damn, a huge thing of peanut butter ok last bite....you know where this goes.  

I’m with @proserpina65 above. Why does Amy Pohler want a new dog?  Train your dog. 

I think it’s ridiculous we’ve come to where toilet paper ads have to remind us why the product exists. I’ve lived long enough I’ve had “oh shit are you kidding me” (no pun intended) times out at a dive bar, single ply, worst of the worst. And you still wipe, just use more. It’s such a stupid ad to me and I say that as a Charmin loyalist bc I do find it the best but the other will indeed wipe your bottom. Can’t believe I typed that. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At one place I worked, you could get paper cuts wiping yourself, the tissue was that horrible.

What the hell?  Then you could make a jingle “Me?  I’m not cut- you- your bottoms hurt”

A whole different marketing concept. My word. 

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

There is an ad for...something or other...financial planning maybe? I don’t know and the girl says something like “I know what it’s like to grow up without financial stability.  We ate a LOT of leftovers.”

Um.  What the fuck?  Only poor people eat leftovers?  If you use their financial planning service you will throw all of your food away?  

I wish I could remember what it was for so I could actively not use it.

I think it's Wells Fargo.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

“I know what it’s like to grow up without financial stability.  We ate a LOT of leftovers.”

That means there was too much food the first time. Either the leftovers were planned or whoever shops/cooks food in that household has more dollars than sense.  If she said, "We ate a LOT of noodles (rice & beans, potatoes, anything not-meat) it would make more sense.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Either the leftovers were planned

But, sometimes the reason that you plan the leftovers is because you can buy cheaper in bulk.  It could also be a sign that the parent(s) have to work 3 jobs and only have time to cook once a week.

• Love 4

This "leftovers" discussion reminds me of another commercial (I honestly cannot recall what the exact product or service was) where two kids are at a dinner table and mom is about to serve them dinner and the kids whine "Not tuna casserole AGAIN!".   Then the voiceover talks about having the finances to eat better meals.   I know that tuna casserole is considered a "poor-mans" or thrifty meal, but for me personally, it's one of my favorites and I never consider it to be a "bottom of the barrel" option for dinner.  I can think of dozens of other meals that would have made more sense here - Ramen, cereal, eggs, rice, boxed mac& cheese etc.   When I make tuna casserole, I try to use quality ingredients, like the better end tuna, good cheddar cheese, a decent sauce that's not from a can.   I also think it tastes better as leftovers.    OK, my tuna casserole rant is done.

• Love 8

I've found my people who don't get the hype about Nutella. I'm subscribed to quite a few baking channels on YouTube, and some of the bakers act like it's nectar from the gods or something.

Back on topic: $1 Loaded Nacho Taco from Taco Bell commercial. It annoys me because they aired during every single damn commercial break (and twice in the last one) while Fosse/Verdon was on.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

But, sometimes the reason that you plan the leftovers is because you can buy cheaper in bulk.

Depending on what you're cooking, you may not have much choice, like with a turkey, spiral ham, or brisket. Eating boxed foods, like Kraft mac and cheese or Rice-A-Roni can also give you leftovers, since it's not practical to cook up a fraction of a box.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

This "leftovers" discussion reminds me of another commercial (I honestly cannot recall what the exact product or service was) where two kids are at a dinner table and mom is about to serve them dinner and the kids whine "Not tuna casserole AGAIN!".   Then the voiceover talks about having the finances to eat better meals.   I know that tuna casserole is considered a "poor-mans" or thrifty meal, but for me personally, it's one of my favorites and I never consider it to be a "bottom of the barrel" option for dinner.  I can think of dozens of other meals that would have made more sense here - Ramen, cereal, eggs, rice, boxed mac& cheese etc.   When I make tuna casserole, I try to use quality ingredients, like the better end tuna, good cheddar cheese, a decent sauce that's not from a can.   I also think it tastes better as leftovers.    OK, my tuna casserole rant is done.

I remember that commercial. It made me think the person who came up with it came from money and has no idea what normal families can afford. I grew up eating tuna noodle casserole regularly and so did most of the families I knew whether they were poor or middle class. It was a cheap meal when your on a budget. Then at the end of the commercial you see the kids with a huge steak on their plate like that's normal. Ah, that's something you either can never afford or have to save up for. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I think that was for some bargain-basement car insurance(not The General).  They had a whole series featuring people saying “I have a car, but can’t afford insurance.”

The weird part of that commercial is that the woman pushing the baby stroller clearly lives in a large city.  Which means she has to pay to park her car somewhere, or has to periodically move her car, right?  I mean, yes, there are apartment buildings in big cities that have parking garages/lots, but I would imagine the people who live in those buildings can afford card insurance.  Maybe, I'm overthinking.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, QuinnInND said:

Non, non. Chocolate is good. Hazelnuts are ok. Chocolate + Hazelnuts = a perfect synergy where together they are better than either alone! Yum. Even better than Reese's.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:04 AM, Blergh said:

I don't know how you feel about it but Nutella uses up one-quarter of the WORLD's hazelnut supply.

Wow. Well, there's a reason!

• Love 5

Speaking of the Nutella commercial, I noticed that they cut out the part where she snarkily says "Bye mom, thanks for breakfast mom."  Now, she just opens the cabinet and sees the thank you note. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Lark said:

Non, non. Chocolate is good. Hazelnuts are ok. Chocolate + Hazelnuts = a perfect synergy where together they are better than either alone! Yum. Even better than Reese's.

Wow. Well, there's a reason!

I love hazelnut. When Nutella first became a "thing", I was pretty excited, to be honest. But I barely get any sense of hazelnut in it at all...just chocolate, and overly sweet at that. The comment from the other day saying that they use 25% of the world's hazelnuts threw me for a loop, because I'd have estimated that the hazelnut was practically a trace flavor in that concoction. The proportion should be skewed waaay further toward the hazelnut for my taste, but I suppose that would take 75% of the nuts.

I guess I'll just keep drinking Frangelico instead 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Eating boxed foods, like Kraft mac and cheese or Rice-A-Roni can also give you leftovers, since it's not practical to cook up a fraction of a box. 

Kraft mac & cheese is my guilty pleasure, but I don't like it reheated, so I make half at a time (which is still way too much of it for one person to eat, but that's why it's just an occasional guilty pleasure).  It's easy to divide the pasta and the bag of neon cheese chemicals in two; there is one cup of pasta per box, and two ounces of neon goodness per "cheese" packet.  What's impressive is that my dad used to divide it up into six servings when he was a dirt-poor college student renting a room with a hot plate.

• Love 9

$1 Loaded Nacho Taco from Taco Bell commercial. It annoys me because they aired during every single damn commercial break (and twice in the last one) while Fosse/Verdon was on.

It never ceases to amaze me that Taco Bell keeps coming up with new menu items when every single thing on their menu tastes exactly alike. Doesn't matter if you order a burrito or a quesadilla or a taco or a gordita - they all taste the same.

There is a commercial for the Explorer Card with Tracee Ellis Ross, and she says "Who doesn't love a deal? I do!"

Just the way she says that makes it sound grammatically wrong, like "Who doesn't love a deal? Me, that's who!" It just sounds wrong, like not what they commercial was going for.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I love hazelnut. When Nutella first became a "thing", I was pretty excited, to be honest. But I barely get any sense of hazelnut in it at all...just chocolate, and overly sweet at that. The comment from the other day saying that they use 25% of the world's hazelnuts threw me for a loop, because I'd have estimated that the hazelnut was practically a trace flavor in that concoction. The proportion should be skewed waaay further toward the hazelnut for my taste, but I suppose that would take 75% of the nuts.

I guess I'll just keep drinking Frangelico instead 😁

I'll drink Frangelico in addition to eating Nutella.  Probably not at the same time, though.

15 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It never ceases to amaze me that Taco Bell keeps coming up with new menu items when every single thing on their menu tastes exactly alike. Doesn't matter if you order a burrito or a quesadilla or a taco or a gordita - they all taste the same.

Not entirely true.  Some are crunchy, some are not (which is more texture than taste, I guess), some are really spicy and some are milder.  But that's not a lot of taste variety.

I've been seeing a new Culligan commercial which drives me nuts: they keep using "bath" as a verb.  Bath is a noun, you stupid ad agency people; bathe is the verb.  Stop it!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Kraft mac & cheese is my guilty pleasure, but I don't like it reheated, so I make half at a time (which is still way too much of it for one person to eat, but that's why it's just an occasional guilty pleasure). 

Well, now I feel like a pig! I eat the whole box myself in one sitting. I've been eating it like that for years. 

I do hate that Taco Bell commercial. The first time I saw it I had mute on and had no clue what was going on. Like, why is she having a dinner party with a dozen clones of herself? Then I saw it was Taco Bell and was even more confused. Why was she having a dinner party with a dozen clones of herself eating Taco Bell on fine china? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
30 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Well, now I feel like a pig! I eat the whole box myself in one sitting. I've been eating it like that for years

You're not the only one.  It should say "Single Serving" on the box.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11