Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I's rather think"Dub-Dub" - Wendy Watson from the late, great "Middleman"

I liked hearing Lacey calling her that. But, more people would probably think of Walter White from a more recent show.

13 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, that's Staples.  I have a feeling those Twizzlers aren't really for the team, but are going to end up in his kitchen.  As far as being too lazy to shop, I find my local stores often do not have what I'm looking for so I end up buying online and shipping to the store anyway.  

We were BOTH wrong.

How awesome is that?

It's Office Depot/Office Max.

• LOL 2

There's an ad, okay TWO ads for some cell phone/wireless company. they have CGI green circles as the spokesthings. The newer ad has one of these green things with kinda wavy black hair and the most annoying voice imaginable. It's like Comic Book Guy with more boogers in his nose.

The other ad has a bunch of these spokesthings calling each other and saying, "HIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!"  Then they all go "BYYYYEEEEEEEE" except there's one asshat who isn't paying attention because OF COURSE THERE IS and of course they have the deepest voice in the universe and the way they say "BYYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!" Freddies claw hand across a blackboard PLUS chewing on tinfoil agonizing. 

The ad team, no strike that EVERYONE involved in ANY way with this ad campaign, the ENTIRE AD AGENCY, the directors/producers/carpenters/stagehands/actors/CGI assdongs/voice actors/lawyers, ALL OF THEM need to be taken in a the back alley behind a chinese restaurant and be given a James Caan Sonny Corleone Godfather garbage can smashed in their faces style beatin'.

Then ALL OF THEM must be drop kicked into the Sun.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, KillingAdam said:

There's an ad, okay TWO ads for some cell phone/wireless company. they have CGI green circles as the spokesthings. The newer ad has one of these green things with kinda wavy black hair and the most annoying voice imaginable. It's like Comic Book Guy with more boogers in his nose.

The other ad has a bunch of these spokesthings calling each other and saying, "HIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!"  Then they all go "BYYYYEEEEEEEE" except there's one asshat who isn't paying attention because OF COURSE THERE IS and of course they have the deepest voice in the universe and the way they say "BYYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!" Freddies claw hand across a blackboard PLUS chewing on tinfoil agonizing. 

The ad team, no strike that EVERYONE involved in ANY way with this ad campaign, the ENTIRE AD AGENCY, the directors/producers/carpenters/stagehands/actors/CGI assdongs/voice actors/lawyers, ALL OF THEM need to be taken in a the back alley behind a chinese restaurant and be given a James Caan Sonny Corleone Godfather garbage can smashed in their faces style beatin'.

It's Cricket Wireless

• Love 1
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

It's Cricket Wireless

BURN IT ALL.

Just so you know I liked that post because you added the video, not because I like the videos. The videos also should be drop kicked into the Sun.

Edited by KillingAdam
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, but you could mistakenly think, "WW = Winfrey, Winfrey!"  ...and isn't it more important that we think about OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or "Wonder Woman".

11 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

They look spherical to me. :-)

• Love 1
On 4/2/2019 at 12:38 AM, KillingAdam said:

One ad that I thought had run it's course and been taken out behind the barn and shot and chopped up into steak and hamburgers has inexplicably re-appeared on tv.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

I think it's for Home Depot, but it might be for Target. It's one of those "order using our app because you are too lazy to actually come into our store and y'know, SHOP, and thus maybe enable us to give SOME of our employees a .01 cent raise. But thanks to your laziness that won't be happening. What might be happening is one of those employees becoming hooked on drugs and overdosing and dying. Seriously, your life can't POSSIBLY be so busy that you don't have half an hour to stroll around our MAGNIFICENT store. We've even got Caramel M&M's!!! In those huge 5 lb bags!!!! But NO, you're too lazy to do more than dick around on your phone and make our employees run all over the goddamn store plucking YOUR items off the shelves and holding them in a special place for you so you can just ooze your lazy ass in and pick up your stuff and flee" type ads.

You know the one I'm talkin' 'bout, right? The guy goes over and says some garbage about needing some office supplies for the team and the employee says, "And two boxes of Twizzler?!" And the dude says, "For the team. GOOOO TEEEEAAAAM!" and then he slinks away, hopefully to get blindsided by a delivery truck in the parking lot.

What annoys me is the way he says, "Go team."

What annoys me more is the sound of the plastic wrapping on the Twizzers boxes crinkling and crackling.

"Soft voice" I sorta like the app where you can order from your home. I have no car so I cannot get to the store and shop without walking a distance much less drag it home.

• Love 6
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, Haleth said:

Yeah, that's Staples.  I have a feeling those Twizzlers aren't really for the team, but are going to end up in his kitchen.  As far as being too lazy to shop, I find my local stores often do not have what I'm looking for so I end up buying online and shipping to the store anyway.  

I usually have the opposite experience, and kind of like that commercial to boot, but I have seen it a lot and am getting a bit tired of it.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

"Soft voice" I sorta like the app where you can order from your home. I have no car so I cannot get to the store and shop without walking a distance much less drag it home.

I COMPLETELY get that and have been there. But for someone like the obviously successful asshat in the ad, He definitely has a car, plus HE'S A LIAR and therefore a TERRIBLE PERSON, as he obviously is gonna sit in in his car in the parking lot and cram fistfuls of Twizzlers down his maw. Then he'll do the thing where you pretend one is a cigarette.

Edited by KillingAdam
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I prefer actually going and getting stuff, but I can see where not having a car would make a huge difference.  And it's just a personal preference for me anyway.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I prefer actually going and getting stuff, but I can see where not having a car would make a huge difference.  And it's just a personal preference for me anyway.

Yeah, it's like only buying books or music online. I love going to a book/record store and checking out all the new releases, plus I can gather up all the music/car magazines, grab a chair and paw through them rather than buying.*

*When I was a teenager I got duped into one of those over the phone magazine subscription things which ended with me getting Car& Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, Road & Track, Classic Car and THREE boating magazines, and I have NEVER had ANY interest in boats or boating. My dad ended up getting on the phone and yelling the riot act at them.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

**Unpopular opinion**

I love Cricket commercials, and I love Cricket as a phone company.

• Love 1

An old one but the LOATHING never goes away, especially since they began running the ad again because of some idiot anniversary.

I'm referring of course to the Geico cavemen campaign. I still can't believe they made a tv show out of this that actually got past the pilot stage and on the air.

Of course ALL of the caveman ads should be thrown into that hole they just finished drilling in Antarctica that broke through to that HUGE underground lake, in which surely......SOMETHING huge and evil swims lazily back and forth.

But my issue is with this particular crime against humanity. 

What is my issue with this ad?

OH SO MANY, MANY THINGS.

First of all, this particular caveman is a twitty twerp. That carrying case for his racket ALONE deserves 5 punches in the face.

But more annoying is a fuckup on the part of the director/editor.

The caveman is on a moving walkway, ie horizontal escalator and is quite obviously standing in place, ie, not walking along as the walkway moves along. (Side note, I knew someone who would barf EVERY time they tried walking on a moving walkway. SO NOT DELIGHTFUL.)

The walkway and caveman pass by a Geico ad on the wall featuring another caveman, which the bearded one apparently sees out of the corner of his eye, so walks back to it on the walkway and walks in place in front of it with that whiny blubby bitchface expression. THEN HE CROSSES HIS ARMS AND STOPS WALKING, yet somehow he STAYS IN PLACE WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/1/2019 at 10:38 PM, KillingAdam said:

One ad that I thought had run it's course and been taken out behind the barn and shot and chopped up into steak and hamburgers has inexplicably re-appeared on tv.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

I think it's for Home Depot, but it might be for Target. It's one of those "order using our app because you are too lazy to actually come into our store and y'know, SHOP, and thus maybe enable us to give SOME of our employees a .01 cent raise. But thanks to your laziness that won't be happening. What might be happening is one of those employees becoming hooked on drugs and overdosing and dying. Seriously, your life can't POSSIBLY be so busy that you don't have half an hour to stroll around our MAGNIFICENT store. We've even got Caramel M&M's!!! In those huge 5 lb bags!!!! But NO, you're too lazy to do more than dick around on your phone and make our employees run all over the goddamn store plucking YOUR items off the shelves and holding them in a special place for you so you can just ooze your lazy ass in and pick up your stuff and flee" type ads.

You know the one I'm talkin' 'bout, right? The guy goes over and says some garbage about needing some office supplies for the team and the employee says, "And two boxes of Twizzler?!" And the dude says, "For the team. GOOOO TEEEEAAAAM!" and then he slinks away, hopefully to get blindsided by a delivery truck in the parking lot.

What annoys me is the way he says, "Go team."

What annoys me more is the sound of the plastic wrapping on the Twizzers boxes crinkling and crackling.

THAT ^^^ $hit right there....THAT was f'n awesome! 😁

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, KillingAdam said:

An old one but the LOATHING never goes away, especially since they began running the ad again because of some idiot anniversary.

I'm referring of course to the Geico cavemen campaign. I still can't believe they made a tv show out of this that actually got past the pilot stage and on the air.

Of course ALL of the caveman ads should be thrown into that hole they just finished drilling in Antarctica that broke through to that HUGE underground lake, in which surely......SOMETHING huge and evil swims lazily back and forth.

OH SO MANY, MANY THINGS.

First of all, this particular caveman is a twitty twerp. That carrying case for his racket ALONE deserves 5 punches in the face.

The caveman is on a moving walkway, ie horizontal escalator and is quite obviously standing in place, ie, not walking along as the walkway moves along. (Side note, I knew someone who would barf EVERY time they tried walking on a moving walkway. SO NOT DELIGHTFUL.)

The walkway and caveman pass by a Geico ad on the wall featuring another caveman, which the bearded one apparently sees out of the corner of his eye, so walks back to it on the walkway and walks in place in front of it with that whiny blubby bitchface expression. THEN HE CROSSES HIS ARMS AND STOPS WALKING, yet somehow he STAYS IN PLACE WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE.

I don't understand what you mean.  At the end of the commercial, he crosses his arms and moves out of frame.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't understand what you mean.  At the end of the commercial, he crosses his arms and moves out of frame.

It's around 20-24 seconds into the commercial he STOPS walking in place and just stands there kind of shuffling around, but not in a way which would have kept him from moving forward, except he isn't moving forward.

1 hour ago, KillingAdam said:

OH SO MANY, MANY THINGS.

I don't know where you came from KillingAdam, but I think I ❤ you! 😁

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't know where you came from KillingAdam, but I think I ❤ you! 😁

You say that now, but I PROMISE you there will come a time, maybe ten years from now, maybe four minutes from now, when you read a post of mine and you think, "WOW, now THAT was a DICKBAG OVERFLOWING WITH STINKY DICKS thing to think of posting, let alone actually hitting the Submit button" and you'll think back and recall this post and want to pinch yourself on the arm until a bruise forms that makes your coworkers think your significant other is "one of the bad ones," and THAT is a Maze you don't want to navigate.

I write this because I'm a Moderately Terrible Human Being, emphasis sometimes on the moderate, sometimes on the terrible.

• LOL 3
24 minutes ago, KillingAdam said:

and THAT is a Maze you don't want to navigate.

Hate to say it, but THAT is a Maze I've already navigated! I now refer to those experiences as a "cakewalk".

• Love 2
18 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

Yeah, it's like only buying books or music online. I love going to a book/record store and checking out all the new releases,

I like both.  I can get books I can't get elsewhere through Amazon, but with online shopping you lose the joy of stumbling across something you didn't know existed while browsing the shelves.  I miss the original Borders and I really miss all the specialty bookstores that used to exist.

• Love 14
13 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I like both.  I can get books I can't get elsewhere through Amazon, but with online shopping you lose the joy of stumbling across something you didn't know existed while browsing the shelves.  I miss the original Borders and I really miss all the specialty bookstores that used to exist.

Plus with a record store more often than not the people who work there do so at least partly because they REALLY like/love music and thus I am more likely to trust their opinions on an artist than some bot reviewer on Amazon.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I stumble across stuff on Amazon all the time.  Probably more so than I ever did in bookstores.  Those "other things you may be interested in" lists are utter rabbit holes!  And the prices are much better and the books get delivered right to my door so I don't have to go to the mall and risk being near other human beings!  It's a total win!  😄

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

stumble across stuff on Amazon all the time.  Probably more so than I ever did in bookstores.  Those "other things you may be interested in" lists are utter rabbit holes! 

I don't because they're very rarely things I am interested in, just things Amazon thinks I should buy.  Whereas I can wander for hours in an actual bookstore.  I use Amazon for stuff I can't find elsewhere, though.  I just wish they hadn't put a lot of brick-and-mortar stores out of business.

• Love 4

There are at least one good used/new book store in the downtown area in the city where I live at, but it is a pain in the behind to drive to the downtown area and find a parking spot especially on the weekdays. The library is pretty good about having books I like to read, but like I said, it is a pain to drive to and find a place to park.

One good thing about Amazon is the fact with orders over $25.00 is free shipping, and it is nice to find a package in the mail or having something ship to your front door.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

There are at least one good used/new book store in the downtown area in the city where I live at, but it is a pain in the behind to drive to the downtown area and find a parking spot especially on the weekdays. The library is pretty good about having books I like to read, but like I said, it is a pain to drive to and find a place to park.

One good thing about Amazon is the fact with orders over $25.00 is free shipping, and it is nice to find a package in the mail or having something ship to your front door.

My husband claims that I singlehandedly keep Amazon in business. ;-D 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
(edited)

I love Amazon for its big selection but also because of my medical problems I can't go into stores.  So having a huge website where I can browse for books, look for clothes, and other essentials that I need but can't actually go out and get has been a Godsent. I can get books on history, socks and snacks all in the same order. I would like the Walmart website but so much of their stuff is only for in stores or pick up. Well, since I can't do that it doesn't help me at all.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love Amazon for its big select but also because of my medical problems I can't go into stores.  So having a huge website where I can browse for books, look for clothes, and other essentials that I need but can't actually go out and get has been a Godsent. I can get books on history, socks and snacks all in the same order. I would like the Walmart website but so much of their stuff is only for in stores or pick up. Well, since I can do that it doesn't help me at all.

I love Amazon for the same reason. I am an introvert first and second I have bad arthritis in both hips and can't walk very far. Just the other day I had the brilliant idea of steaming my left over Taco Time taco. I would set it in a small pan of boiling water in a colander. So in my utter genius, I put the still paper wrapped taco in my PLASTIC colander and set it on the stove. The flames were reaching for the ceiling so I, in my radiant masterful mind I thought "oh, geez, grease fire!" and threw a bag of flour on it. Well shockingly, this made it worse so I started smacking at it with pan lids, you know, trying to extinguish the flames. This. Did. Not. Work. Fuck it say I and I throw water on it. That worked. Needless to say, I needed a new colander so I went to Amazon and ordered a stainless steel one. It came the next day.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I always keep at least 1 fire extinguisher in the kitchen. I'm a chemist, and we had one in every lab.

I give fire extinguishers as wedding/birthday and Christmas presents.

• Love 4
(edited)

I've never needed to use a fire extinguisher at home, but I did in my lab once, and the galley of our sailboat. Boy did that small down below space get hot in a hurry.

Edited by chessiegal
(edited)

Fine.

More of a question, okay an actual question, what product is having the most annoying/disliked ads made right now?

I think these things can go in cycles, a couple decades ago Dominos Pizza had the Noid who's tagline was "Avoid the Noid," which didn't really work as we never got Dominos anyway, because the then owner was virulently anti-abortion. The Noid ads were universally loathed.

Wendy's made some schlub named Herb their pitchperson and had a contest where they sent Herb across the country and if you saw him and screamed "Herb," you'd win like $50,000 and a bunch of Wendy's food.

For me, right now it's insurance ads. the Geico caveman I loathed ALL OF THEM.

There's one for I think it's Progressive where some asshat is out RIDIN' HIS HAWG!!! and bleating out "Here I Go Again," by Whitesnake except it turns out he's DAYDREAMING WHILE GETTING MARRIED. Like during the actual ceremony. His bride and bridal party should have gangtackled him and taken turns kicking him in the balls.

There's another one also for Progressive (I think) where ANOTHER asshat is out RIDIN' HIS HAWG!!! and ramming into and MURDERING various birds, all with a stupid smirk on his stupid face.

Everyone involved should be tied down naked next to a fire ant nest.

Edited by KillingAdam
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, KillingAdam said:

Fine.

More of a question, okay an actual question, what product is having the most annoying/disliked ads made right now?

I think these things can go in cycles, a couple decades ago Dominos Pizza had the Noid who's tagline was "Avoid the Noid," which didn't really work as we never got Dominos anyway, because the then owner was virulently anti-abortion. The Noid ads were universally loathed.

Wendy's made some schlub named Herb their pitchperson and had a contest where they sent Herb across the country and if you saw him and screamed "Herb," you'd win like $50,000 and a bunch of Wendy's food.

For me, right now it's insurance ads. the Geico caveman I loathed ALL OF THEM.

There's one for I think it's Progressive where some asshat is out RIDIN' HIS HAWG!!! and bleating out "Here I Go Again," by Whitesnake except it turns out he's DAYDREAMING WHILE GETTING MARRIED. Like during the actual ceremony. His bride and bridal party should have gangtackled him and taken turns kicking him in the balls.

There's another one also for Progressive (I think) where ANOTHER asshat is out RIDIN' HIS HAWG!!! and ramming into and MURDERING various birds, all with a stupid smirk on his stupid face.

Everyone involved should be tied down naked next to a fire ant nest.

For me, there are quite a few. However, the one I find most loathsome is an ad for KitKat bars that uses a song by Lil Kim. I'm familiar with the song, and the lyrics are COMPLETELY inappropriate for a product marketed to children, FFS. The adholes that thought this was a good idea should be covered in bacon grease and staked out near a den of hungry grizzlies. 

• Love 8

for me, the worst, most-annoying ads are always for things like dental products and shaving products.  These entire giant industries built up around teeth whitening and blades that "adjust" to the curves of your face.  I just get so sick of tooth brushes and razors that look like Formula 1 cars!  And then at the grocery store you stand there staring at a crazy wall of different little brushes for your teeth!  dozens of different ones...it's ludicrous!

• Love 4

Can't stand this commercial for Reeses Puffs Cereal. A girl buying a prom dress while the sales lady asks her "What do you really want", "What do you really, really want", "What do you reallly really really want" etc. While the girl cycles through "I don't want a dress" "I don't want to conform" "I want to crush the patriarchy" etc. before landing on "I want Reeses Puffs"

Obviously the only acceptable answer to "What do you really, really, really want" is " I really really really want to Zig A Zig Zah"

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

a couple decades ago Dominos Pizza had the Noid who's tagline was "Avoid the Noid," which didn't really work as we never got Dominos anyway, because the then owner was virulently anti-abortion. The Noid ads were universally loathed.

So much so, that a guy in Atlanta whose last name was Noid, took some Domino's employees hostage, demanding $100K. My BFF worked in the same strip mall where the Domino's was located and I was really concerned for her safety.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3032911/kidnapping-death-pizza-how-dominos-lost-its-mascot

• Love 2
10 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

My most hated genre right now is car insurance ads - Liberty Mutual leading the way with people who don't understand how insurance works, or really anything else.  They are followed closely by Progressive in all their noxious variety of ads.  Oddly one of my favorite group of ads are for Farmers Insurance, which are surprisingly entertaining.

The next most hated come to us from Big Pharma.  Medicine for non-life-threatening conditions with side effects that could kill you.  Tell your doctor what to prescribe because you saw an ad - good plan.

Honorable mention to Ancestry.com with people who don't understand what ethnicity means  and those who find ancestor from an unexpected country who believe that they should now dress differently and take up different hobbies.  Idiots!

• Love 17
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, KillingAdam said:

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Does this make us semi-mortal enemies?

Nope.  That bone of contention negates with your opinion on the Geico Caveman.  The only bright spot there is the infectious hook of the background song.

As for despised commercials, I really hate anything aimed at the elderly that uses scare tactics (their kids talking about the burden they left behind for not having enough insurance, the burden of having to care for them when they're sick, them falling and dying (EVERY YEAR PEOPLE DIE FROM FALLING!!!!), etc.  The elderly have enough to worry about.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Nope.  That bone of contention negates with your opinion on the Geico Caveman.  The only bright spot there is the infectious hook of the background song.

As for despised commercials, I really hate anything aimed at the elderly that uses scare tactics (their kids talking about the burden they left behind for not having enough insurance, the burden of having to care for them when they're sick, them falling and dying (EVERY YEAR PEOPLE DIE FROM FALLING!!!!), etc.  The elderly have enough to worry about.

Those ones drive me crazy too! The one for the cell phone company for people over 50 makes me want to throw something at my television. The Medicare commercials makes me stabby also especially after hearing United Health Care is cutting back on the number of specialists a patient can see since they cannot cut patients off their policy. Why would I want to sign up for a company who does not want to pay for me to see a doctor I see for a chronic illness after I pay premiums every month for said insurance.

49 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Why would I want to sign up for a company who does not want to pay for me to see a doctor I see for a chronic illness after I pay premiums every month for said insurance.

Maybe they can't afford to pay the doctors after settling with all those lawyers that keep advertising.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Maybe they can't afford to pay the doctors after settling with all those lawyers that keep advertising.

Could be malpractice, but I think it has to do with the costs of covering so many older patients who are on multiple medications and see multiple specialists who are on Medicare supplement plans.