Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

HAL:  Ennui, you're consumption of the major food groups is skewed.  Initiating self-locking protocol for dairy, frozen dairy, kitchenwide carbohydrates and sodium. 

When SPEW* has reported optimal dietary stasis has been achieved, lock down will be lifted. 

*Smart Phone Embedded Widget (implanted in your body).

Easily foiled. I'll remove the broccoli, and the smart refrigerator will think I ate it.  Mwwwuuuuaaahahahaha!

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I wouldn't invest too much in an OPRAH. It probably only lets you have breeeeeeeeeeeeeeead. XD

I shall disguise my chocolate in breeeeead wrappers!   Bawahahaha!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I shall disguise my chocolate in breeeeead wrappers!   Bawahahaha!

Place Cadbury eggs in the carton!  

See, refrigerators aren't so smart.  

• Love 8
8 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Some hotel mini bars work like this too. If you pick something up to look at it but then put it back, you'll still be automatically charged because the software doesn't distinguish between that and the item being consumed by the guest and then replaced by the staff. I always ask if the hotel uses these when I check in because if there's anything worse than paying $5 for a can of Diet Coke, it's paying $5 for looking at a can of Diet Coke.

Something like 10 years ago, my then-boyfriend and I went to Tahoe and stayed at Harrah's. It was "free" because he gambled so much.

Never having stayed in a fancy hotel before that, nor seen a fully stocked mini-fridge, I took out a can of Diet Coke, and saw there was a flat rubbery disk-like button on the fridge shelf beneath where it had stood. I pressed it and it and it clicked. I wondered what it did. I clicked it more. Click click clickclickclick clickclickclickclick click! I finally got tired of that, and we were flipping through the TV channels and stopped as we almost went past the hotel home screen. We saw that I had "bought" about 30 cans of Diet Coke with my mini-fridge shenanigans.

Fortunately, the front desk believed us when we immediately called and said we didn't drink that much Diet Coke in two minutes, and they reversed the charges.

• Love 11
On 6/5/2016 at 2:02 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Word. I hate those kinds of commercials. I'd love to see ones like that directed towards men. Let's see how they like that.

That would never happen, because men are allowed to have hair wherever they darn well want it including those gross unkempt long beards (I'm looking at you, All Baseball Players).  But let a woman have an errant eyebrow hair, or god forbid not want to look like a pre-pubescent down there, and we're considered sloppy and poorly groomed.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, Jamoche said:

*facepalm* Speaking as a software engineer, that's a totally solvable problem.

I believe you; but methinks this is a problem the hotals have no interest in solving.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/8/2016 at 5:23 PM, cynicat said:

I hate to tell you this, but a machine like this already exists in hospitals.  I give to you Cubex

We use the Pyxis version. We type in our ID, put our finger on the scanner and it checks that against our fingerprint on file. Pick a patient, and it only shows you the meds they have ordered. Different dose packs are in different drawers so you can't grab the wrong one (the drawers are locked and it only opens the one you need). It even distinguishes between job titles. I'm a Respiratory Therapist, so it won't allow me to click on a med only nurses can give. It's a pretty good system. There's another machine in each patient's room to use when giving the med. Sign in, scan the patient's ID band and then scan the med. It will alert if you have the wrong patient, wrong med, or incorrect dose. It also fusses at you if you're a bit early and makes you give a reason you're giving it early.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

That would never happen, because men are allowed to have hair wherever they darn well want it including those gross unkempt long beards (I'm looking at you, All Baseball Players).  But let a woman have an errant eyebrow hair, or god forbid not want to look like a pre-pubescent down there, and we're considered sloppy and poorly groomed.

Speaking of long beards, every time I see that guy stroking his beard in the "Mc pick 2" commercial, I sort of gag.

There's a new (to me) University of Phoenix commercial where when the security guy approaches the woman in the library, she quickly gathers up all of her things, apparently not having realized the library was closing.  Much better.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

Speaking of long beards, every time I see that guy stroking his beard in the "Mc pick 2" commercial, I sort of gag.

There's a new (to me) University of Phoenix commercial where when the security guy approaches the woman in the library, she quickly gathers up all of her things, apparently not having realized the library was closing.  Much better.

ugh, me too.  There is some terrible part of my brain that always visualizes food bits getting stuck in those beards.

Sort of like that scene from Trading Places, where Dan Akroyd gets some smoked salmon twined in his Santa Beard.  Gross.

OMG, are you serious about the UoP commercial?  I wonder how much shit they must have gotten for that ridiculous finger gesture?  I still hate UoP, but that is awesome.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Do the people in these commercials live under a dome? Why have they not heard of Swiffer products before?

Maybe they never see the TV ads. I know some folks who live where there's no line-of-sight for satellite and cable hasn't reached, and haven't been able to get a watchable broadcast signal since the stations switched to digital. Swiffer doesn't advertise on DVD's.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, riley702 said:

We use the Pyxis version. We type in our ID, put our finger on the scanner and it checks that against our fingerprint on file. Pick a patient, and it only shows you the meds they have ordered. Different dose packs are in different drawers so you can't grab the wrong one (the drawers are locked and it only opens the one you need). It even distinguishes between job titles. I'm a Respiratory Therapist, so it won't allow me to click on a med only nurses can give. It's a pretty good system. There's another machine in each patient's room to use when giving the med. Sign in, scan the patient's ID band and then scan the med. It will alert if you have the wrong patient, wrong med, or incorrect dose. It also fusses at you if you're a bit early and makes you give a reason you're giving it early.

Wow. I hope if I ever have to be hospitalized that it's in a place with this system. It sounds like it could be a pain in the ass to the workers but a lifesaver to the patients.

• Love 5

Maybe they never see the TV ads. I know some folks who live where there's no line-of-sight for satellite and cable hasn't reached, and haven't been able to get a watchable broadcast signal since the stations switched to digital. Swiffer doesn't advertise on DVD's.

But still, Swiffer products are sold in stores. It's not like they're only available on the black market. However, I can see your point to some extent. The Tobins acted like they didn't get out much.

• Love 6

There's a commercial for the birth control device called Skyla.  The woman in the ad is holding a guitar talking about how she doesn't want to get pregnant because her guitar "is her baby right now".

Every time I see the commercial I don't hear " baby right now",  I hear "this is my baby rhino".  Am I the only one who hears this? 

I've been looking for the discussion about the peanut butter brownie commercial but cant find it, can somebody point me in the direction of the discussion please? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Just do a search for "brownies" or "peanut butter."  Clicking anywhere in the search box brings up a menu that lets you search just this topic, or you can set it to this forum to find mentions in other Commercials topics, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
(edited)
On June 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

This emoji discussion leads me to a commercial that I hate. It's one of those tedious Chevy focus group ads where our intrepid group of focusers must describe the vehicle they're presented with in emojis. First of all, why? What new insight will this glean that you can't get from, you know, words? The answers are predictably inane. I dislike the entire Chevy focus group series of ads, but this one and the power saw one stick out as particularly annoying.

And while I'm on the subject of car commercials, Jeep can take their buttrockin' 4x4 ads and drive straight to hell.

While I also hate this commercial, I can say as a past focus group participant that this is exactly the kind of asinine question that gets asked. Picture a wall with about 30 different photographs on it: a lightbulb, a lady doing yoga, a tree, the moon, four crayons, the number seven… Now, pick which image you would associate with the commercial we just showed you and also explain why. This accuracy of absurdity is the only reason I can give that commercial a pass.

Edited by curlyblackeggs
Siri mangled some of my grammar
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

There's a YouTube channel that takes on bad movies and TV shows, and their latest one takes on the Shick Emoji shave ad.

Warning, NSFW language.

First of all, so I am indeed not the only one who heard something along the lines of "come on my fist."  But now I know it's "come bump my fist."

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Wow. I hope if I ever have to be hospitalized that it's in a place with this system. It sounds like it could be a pain in the ass to the workers but a lifesaver to the patients.

There was a learning curve, but it goes really fast now.

• Love 1

Jon Bon Jovi, I like you, man. I totally grew up on your music. That being said, it's a real dick move to pop into someone's living room and summon the ex-boyfriend of the woman when her current beau is sitting right there. To make matters worse, you then eye fuck the camera. Don't do that, not even in jest.

Beer commercial: "If you want a woman to marry you, ask her father." I did see a version of the commercial without that line, but the version with it is still airing, unfortunately. 

I think the Panera voiceover has gotten even more mannered and twee, a feat I had not thought possible. 

• Love 9

To make matters worse, you then eye fuck the camera. Don't do that, not even in jest.

Lulz. To me it looks like he's giving the "psycho stare" ala Norman Bates at the end of Psycho. I keep expecting his face to turn into a skull.

• Love 5
On 6/6/2016 at 4:02 PM, merylinkid said:

The Enterprise one always bugs.   Let's make some total stranger uncomfortable by making him be your fake boyfriend so YOU don't have to be uncomfortable around your family.    He rents cars.   He does not make enough money to put up with that kind of embarassment/harassment.

Yes, and is the ad saying that when you rent a car, an attractive man of the appropriate ethnicity and sexual orientation will deliver it?  Are their hiring practices discriminatory?

• Love 2
On 6/8/2016 at 5:55 PM, janie jones said:

The peanut allergy commercial...I think if the party were taking place in some cheap-looking home (that college students could afford to live in), I would have taken them to be college students.  Since it's in a nice house, I assumed they were high school students.  Actually how old they looked never factored in for me.

Having raised a kid with a peanut allergy, let me say that by the time he was 12, he knew to not eat Thai food, and to avoid baked goods until he asked the person who brought them about the ingredients and to read labels. He knew it was HIS responsibility.

Just as an aside, a pediatric allergist told us that if you avoid the allergen completely for about 8 -10 years, a child can outgrow the allergy. It worked it my son's case.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, backformore said:

Yes, and is the ad saying that when you rent a car, an attractive man of the appropriate ethnicity and sexual orientation will deliver it?  Are their hiring practices discriminatory?

You should ask those old broads in that other car rental commercial. They probably know more about it than anyone.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, backformore said:

Having raised a kid with a peanut allergy, let me say that by the time he was 12, he knew to not eat Thai food, and to avoid baked goods until he asked the person who brought them about the ingredients and to read labels. He knew it was HIS responsibility.

Just as an aside, a pediatric allergist told us that if you avoid the allergen completely for about 8 -10 years, a child can outgrow the allergy. It worked it my son's case.

My niece is 3 1/2 and she knows to question anything that might have her allergen, and her allergy isn't even life-threatening.  It really is incomprehensible to me that someone the age of the girl in the commercial who has an allergy that bad wouldn't carry one around with her.

• Love 4
On 6/10/2016 at 1:24 AM, janie jones said:

Bwahahaha!  I haven't seen that one yet, but now I want to.  Apparently a lot of people hated the "one minute" gesture.  That's right, Miss UoP.  Pack up and get out.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Just do a search for "brownies" or "peanut butter."  Clicking anywhere in the search box brings up a menu that lets you search just this topic, or you can set it to this forum to find mentions in other Commercials topics, too.

Thank you @Bastet.  Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out.  Much appreciated. 

11 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Jon Bon Jovi, I like you, man. I totally grew up on your music. That being said, it's a real dick move to pop into someone's living room and summon the ex-boyfriend of the woman when her current beau is sitting right there. To make matters worse, you then eye fuck the camera. Don't do that, not even in jest.

So this is how out of touch I am....this is my thought reading your post: OH, that's Jon Bon Jovi!  That's why he looks so familiar!  LOL  I liked him as a teen, never a huge fan, but we shared the same birthday so I kind of followed his music closer than I normally would.  I was more of a GNR and White Snake fan.  Anyhoo...I thought it was totally dickish of him to summon your youngest child away!  That's just wrong.

Speaking of kids, I have a love-hate relationship with that amazon prime commercial from Japan with the baby vs the Golden Retriever in the lion costume.  Thanks for making me cry in front of my kids, assholes...sniff...i'm a sucker for dog emotions (which is why I will break my neck diving for the remote every time an ASPCA commercial comes on).

• Love 3

This woman is being followed around by her INTESTINES?  something about the human intestine girl creeps me out.  The flesh-colored leotard, her strange neck, the way she stalks the woman, follows her places,  she's a weird hallucination that nobody else can see.  It's like a horror movie gone bad.  Take these pills and make the haunting stop!  Is it IBS, or psychosis?

• Love 10
(edited)
On 6/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, bilgistic said:

I LOVE bearded men. That is all.

Speaking as a bearded gentleman, thank you. I find ignorant and judgmental comments about beards to be repugnant.

10 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Why does Old Navy think it's appropriate to try to make Father's Day about women?

old-navy-fathers-day-t-shirt.jpg

Because anything that celebrates men is sexist and demeaning to women, don't you know? I'm sure we can get some self-righteous feminist to blather about single moms being both mother and father and not to acknowledge that is just the patriarchy in action.  (Of course, it would never occur to them to acknowledge & honor that there are single dads who are both father and mother.)

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 9

This woman is being followed around by her INTESTINES?  something about the human intestine girl creeps me out.  The flesh-colored leotard, her strange neck, the way she stalks the woman, follows her places,  she's a weird hallucination that nobody else can see. 

Yes to all of the above, and yet it's her too-short, too-tightly-curled bangs that bug me the most!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Yes to all of the above, and yet it's her too-short, too-tightly-curled bangs that bug me the most!

this x100.  That wig is just wrong.

And why does she play the intestines for everyone....I'm no doctor, but I don't think thats how it works.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Because anything that celebrates men is sexist and demeaning to women, don't you know? I'm sure we can get some self-righteous feminist to blather about single moms being both mother and father and not to acknowledge that is just the patriarchy in action.  (Of course, it would never occur to them to acknowledge & honor that there are single dads who are both father and mother.)

I like to think of myself as a casual feminist (I still want someone to open my doors...but its probably because I'm lazy) -- and even I think its  over the top to make fathers day about women.  We always talk about how important a father is in a child's life....so can he at least have his own day?  Can you imagine that feral anger if we somehow made mothers day about men?

• Love 15
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:29 PM, DeLurker said:

I keep seeing this stupid ad for the SunSetter Awning (Retractable!).  I usually mute it when it comes on, but every time I look up to see if it is over, it is still playing.  Watching it without sound, I noticed how the man, I presume husband, nods his head over and over again.  I want to rip his head off.

I wonder how much in residuals John Edwards is making from that ad?

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, RCharter said:

I like to think of myself as a casual feminist (I still want someone to open my doors...but its probably because I'm lazy) -- and even I think its  over the top to make fathers day about women.  We always talk about how important a father is in a child's life....so can he at least have his own day?  Can you imagine that feral anger if we somehow made mothers day about men?

Hell, they wouldn't even gender-flip half the commercials that are currently airing.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
AIR and ARE are not interchangeable
  • Love 2
(edited)

I can't find the reasoning behind the Old Navy t-shirt because it seems to no longer be on Old Navy's web site and there's no mention of it on their Facebook page.

However, the statistics say that a third of U.S. kids live without a father, and for black kids--the model appeared to be black--that number jumps to over two thirds.

I grew up without a father. My mother remarried when I was 17, and I wouldn't buy or wear the shirt because I feel it would be disrespectful to my (step)dad who stepped up and became my dad, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid for the millions and millions of women--my mother and sisters and many generations of women in my family included--who have been and are raising children without a father around.

I'm curious as to why it wasn't made as a woman's shirt.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5