Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

All I said was it annoys me, and acknowledged Milano is far from the only person to pronounce it that way.  Webster's has the kwa pronunciation (and only that pronunciation) listed, as it does for every other word beginning with qua.  The other pronunciation bugs me.  But if someone wants to go buy a kort of milk, study kontum physics, or vie for homecoming keen, go ahead.

• Love 4

I would guess it's regional, like so many things that have zero to do with a total stranger's intelligence or education. 

I remember a whole dustup of confusion in the Mad Men thread when Don got a secretary named Dawn. Some people pronounce the two exactly the same way (I don't, but I'm from Jersey).

• Love 4

Webster's also has the audio that says "korter." You stated plainly that "qu" is "kw." That is incorrect--and Webster's lists both. 

Sorry to get so serious (and yes, I was snippy--that just ain't right so I'm sorry about that too); I tend to take issue with shit like this; I find it gross to assume that one person is better educated than another because of shit like this. English is a very complicated language, and comments like that "kontum physics" one exemplify that. That said, Alyssa Milano is indeed plenty annoying in those commercials due to the earnestness mentioned above.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Scott suggests she go to the general.com and she instantly gets insurance. Scott and that coffee were SOME motivation, huh???!!!! And he couldn't pick her up?????"

So she had a car sitting outside all ready to go, just lacking insurance, and unlike scads of other people in that situation, she didn't want to drive it anyway? Is that because she's a really bad driver and we'll be seeing her on a LM ad as soon as the General raises her rates?

• Love 2

So she had a car sitting outside all ready to go, just lacking insurance, and unlike scads of other people in that situation, she didn't want to drive it anyway? Is that because she's a really bad driver and we'll be seeing her on a LM ad as soon as the General raises her rates?

It sounds like she was trying to blow him off and her best excuse was that she couldn't meet for coffee because she didn't have car insurance.  Scott should learn to take a damn hint....geez.  

• Love 5

And why isn't "phonics" spelled "fonics" then, haha!

OMG!! Two comics come to mind on that one!

Brian Reagan..." Hoooked on pa-honics work-ed for me"

and

"Shhool....that's the way they spell it? That's how I'm gonna say it!!!!!"--Howie Mandel

Finally....Susan's a HOE. She had no insurance, a man is interested, she suddenly gets some (insurance). Like I said coffee good or good offer. No man is worth getting insurance when I am broke unless he is paying...true story.

PS...no car insurance never stopped me from driving to work, ect....just saying.

I laugh at this commercial and just yell WHORE!!!!

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 1

OMG!! Two comics come to mind on that one!

Brian Reagan..." Hoooked on pa-honics work-ed for me"

and

"Shhool....that's the way they spell it? That's how I'm gonna say it!!!!!"--Howie Mandel

Finally....Susan's a HOE. She had no insurance, a man is interested, she suddenly gets some (insurance). Like I said coffee good or good offer. No man is worth getting insurance when I am broke unless he is paying...true story.

PS...no car insurance never stopped me from driving to work, ect....just saying.

I laugh at this commercial and just yell WHORE!!!!

I think Susan may actually be a craigslist hooker trolling for men who will pay her for her "auto insurance coverage."  But Scott is a total cheapskate trying to get sex at cut rate General Auto Insurance rates.  Susan can do better, she can at least get a guy to pay her Liberty Mutual rates.

I think if you just ask men to pay your auto insurance the police can't bust you.  Susan knows whats up.

• Love 7

That toenail fungus treatment commercial with the "toe-tuckers" embarrassed, and hiding their feet. You know how else you can avoid that embarrassment? Put some fucking socks on! Not discouraging from treating the fungus, but socks are an awesome intermediary tool to avoid the toe-tucking

• Love 10

That toenail fungus treatment commercial with the "toe-tuckers" embarrassed, and hiding their feet. You know how else you can avoid that embarrassment? Put some fucking socks on! Not discouraging from treating the fungus, but socks are an awesome intermediary tool to avoid the toe-tucking

Or just rock your funky toes.  True story: I was at a family reunion and saw a lady is sandals and her toenails were not only discolored and not pedicured, they were about half an inch thick.  I mean, were sandals really the only option?  No close toed shoes available?  I couldn't eat my potato salad after that so the whole day was ruined.

• Love 4

Or just rock your funky toes. True story: I was at a family reunion and saw a lady is sandals and her toenails were not only discolored and not pedicured, they were about half an inch thick. I mean, were sandals really the only option? No close toed shoes available? I couldn't eat my potato salad after that so the whole day was ruined.

I've definitely seen some toes that have no business in sandals LMAO

• Love 4

Including two within a mile or so of my place, both closer than the nearest McD. There are actually a bunch of them in Charlotte.

I was on a road trip out west the past two weeks, and saw a number of McD locations selling breakfast all day, which made we wonder when I saw the commercials announcing it was starting this week. It looked like they did have a limited menu, and I remember one worker tell the guy in front of me that he couldn't get a sausage biscuit, only a "sausage biscuit with egg" even though both were clearly on the "limited" menu posted.

If you were anywhere near San Diego, that could explain why you saw some MCD's doing the all-day breakfast thing before October 6th. They were doing "testing" of the all-day menu thing in San Diego & Nashville before the national rollout.

I also heard/read that some stores/franchisees started serving it earlier than October 6th, once McD's corporate announced it was being added to the menu. Some restaurants in smaller places around my hometown did too, but I think the ones in my city waited until October 6th to start the menu.

Tattleteeny: I just looked at BK's online menu. Flnurse is right. It's the extra long jalapeño cheeseburger (they've also done a couple of other "extra long" burgers in the last year). It's just another way of making a double patty burger--with the meat side-by-side, on the sub/hoagie-type bun they usually use for 1 of the chicken sandwiches--instead of having the meat stacked on top of each other on a standard round bun, as usual.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

There's a catheter commercial that plays a lot during dinner hour. I don't know what TPTB were thinking, but the last thing I want to hear and visualize is a bunch of old people...or any people for that matter.....discussing their cathing while I'm trying to eat.

• Love 8

As for the BK black whopper, I'm slightly intrigued. The bun is made with A1, which I like to put on burgers. I could volunteer to be the the group guinea pig. lol

Some of the guys that work with my husband tried them and there is an unusual side effect.  Six guys in the shop ate them & everyone says their poop was green as a result. I actually heard that on my local radio station and thought it was a hoax, but my husband told me about his co-workers confirming it.   Maybe a little TMI, but just warning those who may try it so they don't freak out.

• Love 1

"Now I have less diabetic nerve pain. And my biggest reason to walk...calls me Grandpa."

Umm, what was your reason before Lyrica? Or, what did she call you before Lyrica?

I'm not getting this.  The way I see it, he takes Lyrica so he can walk without pain, and his biggest reason to be motivated to walk without pain calls him Grandpa.  Not that she called him something different before when he was walking around with diabetic nerve pain, just that he wants to be able to function more normally so he can do stuff with his granddaughter, seems pretty straightforward.

• Love 5

Anyhow, my free tip to McDonald's (or BK if they want to jump on the bandwagon first) is to offer the egg mcmuffin "round" egg on any sandwich.  Come on, all the other fancier burger places have been offering a fried egg as a topping for quite some time now, what a cheap and easy way to customize their menu! 

I do this now anyway. I like the bacon, egg and cheese biscuit, but can't stand that folded square of scrambled eggs. I just ask for it with a round egg.

• Love 2

There's a catheter commercial that plays a lot during dinner hour. I don't know what TPTB were thinking, but the last thing I want to hear and visualize is a bunch of old people...or any people for that matter.....discussing their cathing while I'm trying to eat.

Is it the Catheter Cowboy? He's had a a lot of pain and he doesn't want anymore!

I apparently watch a lot of shows with a catheter-needing demographic. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11

Is it the Catheter Cowboy? He's had a a lot of pain and he doesn't want anymore!

I apparently watch a lot of shows with a catheter-needing demographic. 

Yes! Apparently I do too, lol.

• Love 4

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but some folks  over a certain age have gout and or severe toe arthritis and shoes with toes are a no go.  I've seen them wear sandals in winter because of those conditions ...and it is sad.  And on the fungus issue, she may have been treating the problem, but it takes weeks to heal even with the best meds..

• Love 4

I'm not getting this.  The way I see it, he takes Lyrica so he can walk without pain, and his biggest reason to be motivated to walk without pain calls him Grandpa.  Not that she called him something different before when he was walking around with diabetic nerve pain, just that he wants to be able to function more normally so he can do stuff with his granddaughter, seems pretty straightforward.

I think it's the "now". Like part of that sentence wasn't true before Lyrica. And he doesn't say "without pain", he just says "my biggest reason to walk". 

In other words, they could have written better copy for that.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Love 3

Both of the McDonald's on my way to work have hash browns on the all day menu, but I haven't paid attention enough to note if they have the biscuit sandwiches since I am in "McMuffin Country" according to the map.  Which I prefer anyway, but I'm sure each has their fans.

And then there are those of us who want the bagel sandwiches.  We're totally SOL for now.

The all-day hashbrowns, like the former breakfast cutoff time, must be up to the individual franchises.

• Love 3

The asshat in the Progressive bundle commercial should never, I mean never, ask a lady if she's pregnant.  A woman is subject to this thoughtless inquiry if she has the least bit of tummy.  The rest of the commercial blew, too.

My rule - especially at work - is unless she's going into labor in the conference room, I won't mention it until she does.

• Love 10

And then there are those of us who want the bagel sandwiches.  We're totally SOL for now.

Is there a Sonic near you? They do breakfast all day, and that's on the menu at some of them. The bacon and egg bagel sandwich is even the morning special at the one near here ($1.99 including coffee).

• Love 1

I'm sure the cute kid in the Apple Watch ad is a lovely fellow and his girlfriend should be lucky to have someone so sweet, but I swear the first time I heard the ad before I saw it I thought it was a bad audition commercial hyping the last season of American Idol.

• Love 1

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but some folks  over a certain age have gout and or severe toe arthritis and shoes with toes are a no go.  I've seen them wear sandals in winter because of those conditions ...and it is sad.  And on the fungus issue, she may have been treating the problem, but it takes weeks to heal even with the best meds..

Nor is it possible to diagnose a fungal infection just by looking. While doing chemo five years ago, I got the fun, 1 in a million side effect - all of my finger and toenails fell off. Eighteen came back just fine, but the nails on my big toes look like they have a gnarly fungal infection. They don't - I've been tested and treated out the wazoo. After growing out about a fourth of the way up, the nail beds are just dead. The nail turns pale, thickens and starts to lift up. I don't dare appear in public without polish covering that shit, because I've gotten some pretty shitty looks and comments and I'm sick of explaining it. [/Toenail PSA]

Edited by riley702
  • Love 9

Nor is it possible to diagnose a fungal infection just by looking. While doing chemo five years ago, I got the fun, 1 in a million side effect - all of my finger and toenails fell off. Eighteen came back just fine, but the nails on my big toes look like they have a gnarly fungal infection. They don't - I've been tested and treated out the wazoo. After growing out about a fourth of the way up, the nail beds are just dead. The nail turns pale, thickens and starts to lift up. I don't dare appear in public without polish covering that shit, because I've gotten some pretty shitty looks and comments and I'm sick of explaining it. [/Toenail PSA]

GAH!!  You poor thing!  My mother went through a similar thing but it involved having her two big toenails removed.  Yeah, they grew back all gnarled and gross, but she didn't have pain anymore.

• Love 3