Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

McDonald's all day breakfast is just a small sub-section of their regular breakfast menu.  It's also regional - different parts of the country have different items on the menu.  And NONE of them have hash browns.

I just read that the black hamburger buns cause green feces.

• Love 4

McDonald's all day breakfast is just a small sub-section of their regular breakfast menu. It's also regional - different parts of the country have different items on the menu. And NONE of them have hash browns.

None of the Mickey D's have hash browns for all-day breakfast? I looked at the online all-day breakfast menu, on their site; it included hash browns.

What I'm ticked off about is, they didn't include the McGriddles. Those are my favorite breakfast things there.

I don't get how they can do "regular" pancakes, & almost every other type of breakfast sandwich they have all day (at least certain McMuffins & the biscuit sandwiches--they're not doing the bagel sandwiches all day either), but they can only do McGriddles during morning breakfast hours. What's so hard about them (or the bagels), compared to the stuff they are doing?

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

I read that too, and not just green, but fluorescent green. Bleh.

Hell, I get that from eating too much black licorice. I think I'll stick with the candy.

It freaks out the Charmin bears...

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 6

I read that it is squid ink. I guess these are popular in Japan. *hurk*

I thought the squid ink buns were only in Japan. The US buns are only supposed to be food coloring (& supposedly the A.1. Sauce as in the sandwich).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

I Googled it and found this:

"Burger King tells ABC News the dark bun's color comes from the "smoky black pepper flavor of A.1. baked into the bun," and that it contains less than one percent food dye. The concentration of food dye in the bun meets Acceptable Daily Intake measurements approved by the Food and Drug Administration, the company says.

We reached out to Burger King for comment about the green poop claims, but we have not heard back from the company. We'll update this story as it unfolds."

http://abc11.com/science/yes-burger-kings-black-bun-turns-your-poop-green-/1019455/

• Love 1

Seriously, folks.  There is NO FOOD in the world that can make your poop fluorescent green! It HAS to be a chemical!!

ETA:  I looked it up and there are cases of too much licorice or black jelly beans causing poop to be green, forest green not kelly.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 3

McDonald's all day breakfast is just a small sub-section of their regular breakfast menu.  It's also regional - different parts of the country have different items on the menu.  And NONE of them have hash browns.

Really McDonalds?  Really?  I don't even eat there any more, but is it really such a monumental task to make your small breakfast menu available all day?  How can Jack In the Box do it with ease.  Why must you people make everything such a task?  Why do this giant advertising roll out just so you can inevitably upset consumers when you tell them that whatever they want isn't on the "all day breakfast menu."  I mean seriously.  I know that the food is held in freezers and its not delivered fresh every day so what the heck?  What is keeping the employees from being able to prepare hash browns at 10pm?  Why is this so hard?  I just don't get it.  

• Love 3

What is keeping the employees from being able to prepare hash browns at 10pm?

I expect that hash browns are like french fries in that they have to cook up a whole basket of them at a time and can't just make up an order or two, so if they're not selling many at 10pm, they'd have to throw out a lot of them.

• Love 3

Seriously, folks.  There is NO FOOD in the world that can make your poop fluorescent green! It HAS to be a chemical!!

ETA:  I looked it up and there are cases of too much licorice or black jelly beans causing poop to be green, forest green not kelly.

Trust me on this - black licorice results in fluorescent green poop.
  • Love 3

Oh come on. A child would not substitute a short u sound for a long u sound (unless they were reading the word incorrectly -- not just speaking the word). For 'Duke,' I'd believe a miscue like Doot, but Duck? They obviously think we're stupid and would be bowled over by the cuteness of the kid and the dog. I like the dog, and that's it. 

I kind of can't believe how annoyed I am about this commercial.

• Love 6

I expect that hash browns are like french fries in that they have to cook up a whole basket of them at a time and can't just make up an order or two, so if they're not selling many at 10pm, they'd have to throw out a lot of them.

But I would think that if someone comes to order hash browns maybe you just have the pull over to the side and wait a few minutes while you fry one up.  I thought you just microwaved the hash browns, but even if you have to put them in the deep fryer isn't it just the same oil used over and over?  And the same oil for the french fries?  I don't see why you can't just make one at a time?  And is it really going to be worse to throw out a few hash browns then to have to deal with the inevitable backlash when people complain?

• Love 3

Really McDonalds?  Really?  I don't even eat there any more, but is it really such a monumental task to make your small breakfast menu available all day?  How can Jack In the Box do it with ease.  Why must you people make everything such a task?  Why do this giant advertising roll out just so you can inevitably upset consumers when you tell them that whatever they want isn't on the "all day breakfast menu."  I mean seriously.  I know that the food is held in freezers and its not delivered fresh every day so what the heck?  What is keeping the employees from being able to prepare hash browns at 10pm?  Why is this so hard?  I just don't get it.  

They just couldn't go that extra inch to include hash browns.  Big expensive roll-out, all for naught.

• Love 1

I don't see why you can't just make one at a time?  And is it really going to be worse to throw out a few hash browns then to have to deal with the inevitable backlash when people complain?

Less likely "backlash" and more likely whatever data they have suggests it won't be worth it to them to do the hashbrown all day. If demand proved otherwise they can easily change it.
  • Love 1

I haven't gone back far here, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I just saw a commercial for a new show on TBS called Full Frontal, and in the commercial, the woman, dressed nicely, spreads her legs and a giant, hairy scrotum drops down. That has to be one of the most disgusting commercials I've ever seen.

• Love 3

I haven't gone back far here, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I just saw a commercial for a new show on TBS called Full Frontal, and in the commercial, the woman, dressed nicely, spreads her legs and a giant, hairy scrotum drops down. That has to be one of the most disgusting commercials I've ever seen.

I just looked at the promo with no sound; AWFUL doesn't even begin to describe it!  Hey lady, you will have NO VIEWERS!  That is some gross shit.

• Love 4

They just couldn't go that extra inch to include hash browns.  Big expensive roll-out, all for naught.

I just can't with McDonalds, I don't even eat there and I'm annoyed by this entire thing.

Why do breakfast all day and support it with a huge ad campaign if you're not going to do breakfast all day????

You know how pissy I'd be if I got all fired up for a McGriddle at 11pm only to be told that breakfast all day, isn't really breakfast all day?

TBS is basic cable, that feel like a Cinemax show.  In fact, that feels more like a pay per view show.....

Less likely "backlash" and more likely whatever data they have suggests it won't be worth it to them to do the hashbrown all day. If demand proved otherwise they can easily change it.

In this day and age of social media everything is a backlash because backlashing is so easy to do.  Back in the day when you had to actually write a letter, or make a phone call no one backlashed.  Or someone had to die before anyone backlashed.

Here's a map that shows whether you live in McMuffin country or Biscuit country. Looks like hashbrowns are on both menus, but with an asterisk.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/06/the-catch-about-mcdonalds-all-day-breakfast.html

The McDonald's all around here have hash browns all day. According to their main website, hash browns are on the menu.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/meal_bundles/alldaybreakfast.html

Thank goodness, I was about to lose my shit over here!  And I don't even eat at McDonalds, but I was gonna go on my facebook and write

"WUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT McDonaldz bfast at 10pm, no fkng hshbrwns!!!!!! :( LIARZ! gonna stb Rnld McDnald....gimme hshbrwns or gimme death!"

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 9

Back when I worked in fast food (ah, the joys of being a teenager), we only cooked a fish sandwich when someone ordered it because company policy was that we couldn't hold one in the warmer for more than 30 minutes.  (Same with the french fries, chicken, etc.)  We would tell people it would be at least five minutes before they could get their sandwich (the fish patty took four and a half minutes to fry) and they always said that was fine.  Until about 2 minutes later, when they would complain about how long it was taking.

If you cook them one at a time, you can't drop another until the first is cooked.  We had a limited number of fry baskets and they were designated for certain foods -- fish, chicken, fries, and onion rings.  Cross-contamination would get us sued if someone had an allergic reaction.  So we couldn't cook fries in the fish basket, no matter how backed up we were.  I imagine it's the same with hash browns.  If the fry baskets are already being used, you can't drop hash browns in the chicken or fish basket.  

Cooking everything one at a time pretty much defeats the purpose of "fast food".

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 8

Back when I worked in fast food (ah, the joys of being a teenager), we only cooked a fish sandwich when someone ordered it because company policy was that we couldn't hold one in the warmer for more than 30 minutes.  (Same with the french fries, chicken, etc.)  We would tell people it would be at least five minutes before they could get their sandwich (the fish patty took four and a half minutes to fry) and they always said that was fine.  Until about 2 minutes later, when they would complain about how long it was taking.

If you cook them one at a time, you can't drop another until the first is cooked.  We had a limited number of fry baskets and they were designated for certain foods -- fish, chicken, fries, and onion rings.  Cross-contamination would get us sued if someone had an allergic reaction.  So we couldn't cook fries in the fish basket, no matter how backed up we were.  I imagine it's the same with hash browns.  If the fry baskets are already being used, you can't drop hash browns in the chicken or fish basket.  

Cooking everything one at a time pretty much defeats the purpose of "fast food".

Jack in the Box makes it work without a hitch -- so it can be done.  And they have just as big a menu as McDonalds does and they have been able to offer breakfast all day for years...including their hash brown option.  So has Del Taco for that matter.  How Del Taco and Jack in the Box can manage it, but McDonald's can't seems mysterious to me.

• Love 3

I don't eat at Del Taco or Jack in the Box, so I have no idea what's on their menus.  I don't know if they have the same cross-contamination issues.

ETA  Just did a check and I don't know how Del Taco does it.  Their menu is huge, with a ridiculous number of options.  All I can figure is that their serve times are longer than McDonald's.

Jack in the Box doesn't offer a fish sandwich, so I expect that helps.  

It's possible the amount of breakfast food McDonald's offers will increase, once they learn what sells and what doesn't, what people want that isn't on the menu yet, and once the restaurants start adjusting to the change.  Certain foods just can't be cooked on the same grill, so some shuffling will have to be done to figure out what is the most efficient means of getting the food to the customers as quickly as possible.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

I don't eat at Del Taco or Jack in the Box, so I have no idea what's on their menus.  I don't know if they have the same cross-contamination issues.

ETA  Just did a check and I don't know how Del Taco does it.  Their menu is huge, with a ridiculous number of options.  All I can figure is that their serve times are longer than McDonald's.

Jack in the Box doesn't offer a fish sandwich, so I expect that helps.  

It's possible the amount of breakfast food McDonald's offers will increase, once they learn what sells and what doesn't, what people want that isn't on the menu yet, and once the restaurants start adjusting to the change.  Certain foods just can't be cooked on the same grill, so some shuffling will have to be done to figure out what is the most efficient means of getting the food to the customers as quickly as possible.

Jack in the Box has fish and chips.  Del Taco offers food at the same fast food pace as McDonalds.  Both have a hash brown/tater tot option.

To me, if you're going to have a big rollout basically saying "we offer breakfast all day, so come on in and have breakfast at any time of the day!" than offer breakfast all day.  Don't half ass it, by making it a limited menu.  All you're encouraging is people to get upset with the in-store staff because they feel misled.  

If McDonalds wanted to know what sells at night and what doesn't, they should have offered the full breakfast menu to begin with and then pared it down based on sales.  If they don't offer everything to begin with, how do they know what will sell at night?  

Again, Jack in the Box and Del Taco are able to offer their full breakfast menu without much problem.   I don't think McDonalds workers are any less able than those at JIB or Del Taco.  Both chains were able to offer a full menu, figure out the shuffling just fine.  I don't remember either chain having to go through a "limited offering" before switching to a full breakfast menu.

• Love 2

None of the Mickey D's have hash browns for all-day breakfast? I looked at the online all-day breakfast menu, on their site; it included hash browns.

What I'm ticked off about is, they didn't include the McGriddles. Those are my favorite breakfast things there.

I don't get how they can do "regular" pancakes, & almost every other type of breakfast sandwich they have all day (at least certain McMuffins & the biscuit sandwiches--they're not doing the bagel sandwiches all day either), but they can only do McGriddles during morning breakfast hours. What's so hard about them (or the bagels), compared to the stuff they are doing?

The McDs around where I live (northeastern MD) don't have the hash browns on the all day menu, or the bagels - which, of course because that's the only sandwich I like there.  It's particularly annoying because I know that only one of the local McDs makes their food fresh and the others mostly just microwave it (except for the deep-fried stuff).  So fie to you, McDonalds!  Fie to you and your lies about all-day breakfasts!

• Love 1

I've never worked in fast food, but I can see Daisy's point about the fryers. In another story I read, a store manager said frying eggs takes up a good portion of the grill. I concede that McDonald's probably should have toned down the run-up to this, and made it more known it would be a "select menu." McDonald's is way, way bigger than Jack in the Box and Del Taco. I frankly have never even heard of Del Taco. There appear to be five JitB's in my state, all clustered around Charlotte. Heck, my city (Greensboro) alone has 24 McD's. It doesn't make sense for them to go in and retrofit all of their thousands of restaurants yet until they see how it's going to pan out. When you have have fewer than 100 restaurants, which seems to be the case with Del Taco, you can make that commitment.

Back to an actual commercial, I like the one of the hubby bringing the wife a sandwich. Yeah, he could have brought a drink, but I appreciate when ads show that not everyone is on a 9 to 5 and spouses can work different hours 

• Love 1

Honestly, I just don't see what the big deal is.  People are getting something they've never been able to get before, and that's still not good enough?  Okie dokie.

I think the problem is how McDonalds is advertising the all day breakfast.  Maybe if they outlined what is included a little better, people would be less likely to be upset.  Me, I don't really care that much, despite my post above.  I just hated that 10:30 a.m. was their weekend breakfast cut-off time; it used to be 11, which made more sense to me.

• Love 5

I think the problem is how McDonalds is advertising the all day breakfast.  Maybe if they outlined what is included a little better, people would be less likely to be upset.  Me, I don't really care that much, despite my post above.  I just hated that 10:30 a.m. was their weekend breakfast cut-off time; it used to be 11, which made more sense to me.

And I think this must be up to the franchise. One Sunday last month, Mr. Tanyak played golf early on a Sunday morning, so I decided to take 5-year-old Lil Tanyak to breakfast at the McD around the corner. I just about broke my neck to get us there before 10:30. Just made it, sat down and starting eating, and then I noticed a stream of people steadily getting breakfast items. As I was leaving, I asked the girl at the register, and she said they served until 11 a.m. on the weekends. But I know there are others around us that stop (or used to stop) at 10:30 all week long. 

• Love 1

There appear to be five JitB's in my state, all clustered around Charlotte.

Including two within a mile or so of my place, both closer than the nearest McD.  There are actually a bunch of them in Charlotte.

I was on a road trip out west the past two weeks, and saw a number of McD locations selling breakfast all day, which made we wonder when I saw the commercials announcing it was starting this week.  It looked like they did have a limited menu, and I remember one worker tell the guy in front of me that he couldn't get a sausage biscuit, only a "sausage biscuit with egg" even though both were clearly on the "limited" menu posted.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2

Both of the McDonald's on my way to work have hash browns on the all day menu, but I haven't paid attention enough to note if they have the biscuit sandwiches since I am in "McMuffin Country" according to the map.  Which I prefer anyway, but I'm sure each has their fans.  I used to work at McDonald's many, many years ago and the worst time to work (and the worst tasting food IMO) was at "changeover" which was the time between breakfast and lunch.  They were seriously not set up to be able to cook all the burgers and toast all the buns while also producing the breakfast food.  The fryers would have been a huge issue, too, since you had to have separate oil and baskets for fries, pies (although those are no longer fried I believe), fish and chicken.  And that was before biscuits, McGriddles or bagels!  Also before microwaves, so not sure how that all figures into the mix.

Anyhow, my free tip to McDonald's (or BK if they want to jump on the bandwagon first) is to offer the egg mcmuffin "round" egg on any sandwich.  Come on, all the other fancier burger places have been offering a fried egg as a topping for quite some time now, what a cheap and easy way to customize their menu! 

• Love 3

Does anyone remember the actual Mickey D sandwich?  Made fresh on a French roll, hot sauce, cheddar cheese and an slice of tomato.  It was really very good.

McDonalds actually made something with hot sauce?  That sounds delicious, but very un-McDonalds.

• Love 1
<----doesn't get the reference? Please enlighten this innocent mind because normally I GO THERE...LOL

EDIT: QUOTE DIDNT POST BUT IN REFERENCE TO " LOTION ON THE SKIN" ????

I don't know if anyone answered this for you.  The quote is from Silence of the Lambs and trust me, you probably don't want to know the context. 'It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again'

• Love 3

Here's what's pissing me right off about a McDonald's commercial (or BK, not sure which). It's an item called something like "super-long burger" or whatever. It clearly shows two regular round burgers placed side by side on a long roll! WTF? And these places already have double-burgers on the menu so again I demand to know WTF?!

her pronunciation of "quarter" as "kore-ter" in one of those "please donate money" pitches.  (Yes, I know she's not the only one.  No, that does not lessen my annoyance.)

How should "quarter" be said? Tons of people say "cort" for "quart"...I'm not sure what's wrong with "kore-ter"; was there a weird pause where the hyphen is?

The safety razor disposable shave head refills that are kept locked up wouldn't be very good for slicing your wrists or someone's face.  You'd need a real razor blade for that.  These are just locked up because they are expensive and the package is tiny, making them a good target for theft.  (Anyone remember Empire Records and Robin Tunney's pathetic suicide attempt with a daisy razor?)

Yeah, and how would the local Rite-Aid employee know that a customer had suicide in mind when buying razors anyway?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

The General.com:

"Scott and Susan met online an hour ago. They wanna meet for coffee, but Susan has no car insurance (Breakfast Club reference..'...but Ive got homework to do. :)

Scott suggests she go to the general.com and she instantly gets insurance. Scott and that coffee were SOME motivation, huh???!!!! And he couldn't pick her up?????"

Thank God she got the insurance or this 'love connection' would never have happened. PHEW! Crisis averted!!!!!

This commercial DEFINETELY annoys-irritates-outrages-enrages me.

Here's what's pissing me right off about a McDonald's commercial (or BK, not sure which). It's an item called something like "super-long burger" or whatever. It clearly shows two regular round burgers placed side by side on a long roll! WTF? And these places already have double-burgers on the menu so again I demand to know WTF?!

How should "quarter" be said? Tons of people say "cort" for "quart"...I'm not sure what's wrong with "kore-ter"; was there a weird pause where the hyphen is?

Isn't that Burger King's Jalapeno burger? Cheese....more cheese...jalapenos...and jalapenos? x-long jap burger???? If even close I hate that one!!!! I am just axe-ing.....

I don't know if anyone answered this for you.  The quote is from Silence of the Lambs and trust me, you probably don't want to know the context. 'It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again'

You should explain it all to her....I wanted to, but I don't know how to capture it all.

The General.com:

"Scott and Susan met online an hour ago. They wanna meet for coffee, but Susan has no car insurance (Breakfast Club reference..'...but Ive got homework to do. :)

Scott suggests she go to the general.com and she instantly gets insurance. Scott and that coffee were SOME motivation, huh???!!!! And he couldn't pick her up?????"

Thank God she got the insurance or this 'love connection' would never have happened. PHEW! Crisis averted!!!!!

This commercial DEFINETELY annoys-irritates-outrages-enrages me.

Isn't that Burger King's Jalapeno burger? Cheese....more cheese...jalapenos...and jalapenos? x-long jap burger???? If even close I hate that one!!!! I am just axe-ing.....

huh?  This commercial sounds confusing, why is she doing online dating if she doesn't have car insurance?  Is she a craigslist hooker trying to avoid the cops?  I feel like if I didn't have car insurance it might be a little more important than finding some dude to meet for coffee.  Especially a dude that is already trying to tell me how to run my life -- maybe I just don't want to meet you mr. pushyboots and I made up an excuse about car insurance.

• Love 3

I have the PERFECT kinda-nsfw picture to illustrate this, but I am DUH and can't figure out how.

Copy the image link and paste into the icon within reply, 3rd from the right girl.... :)

How should "quarter" be said?

Like it's spelled; the qua means it's a kw sound.  I've never heard anyone say kort for quart (that would drive me even more batty), so how quarter becomes korter, I'll never understand.  Plus, she's just trying to hard to be earnest, so the whole commercial bugs me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

It is very sad what our educational system has become. :(

Like it's spelled; the qu means it's a kw sound.  I've never heard anyone say kort for quart (that would drive me even more batty), so how quarter becomes korter, I'll never understand.  Plus, she's just trying to hard to be earnest, so the whole commercial bugs me.

I'm very well educated (English lit and composition, writing, and editing), and that is how I and most people I know pronounce it. I can't think of anyone who enunciates the "qu" that much--and if they did, I'd never assume they were poorly educated, I'm happy to say.

"Qu" is by no means always pronounced as "kw." Tourniquet, liquor, conquer, pique, quiche, technique, antique, physique, critique, etc, etc...

(Also, per various American English dictionaries including Oxford, "kore-ter" is the pronunciation; "kwar-ter" is a commonly accepted variant, but not the primary pronunciation.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9

Maybe it's regional? I say "kw" but I can see places where maybe the "kort" sounds more common. For example, Aaron and Erin sound absolutely the same to me. In fact, when I talk text, I get Aaron for both. I have no idea how to say them differently, and at this point in my life, I don't really care to learn the difference. Lol But I know some people who can't even fathom how they sound alike.

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 2