Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Phht. The "toughen up your man with nasty flavored frozen pizza" commercial would have been better served by giving him the spicy pizza in response to him drinking air during the tea party, then having the girls enjoy watching sports with him at the end (as a lifelong female, I can faithfully say that it's possible to enjoy both frilly things and contact sports). No need to link his manhood to his willingness to be an engaged parent to his daughters.

• Love 8

No need to link his manhood to his willingness to be an engaged parent to his daughters.

I think what you mean is no need to link a decrease in his manhood with his willingness to be an engaged parent to his daughters, since engaging with the children is for most people an appealing quality in a man.

Pretty much everything about that commercial is offensive.  Including his stupid beard.  I hate beards and I'm tired of seeing them.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4

The Greektown Gyro, now that is really something, as in "Oh God, something is in my mouth". I wouldn't eat any of them again.

Awww, I actually like that one.  Wouldn't run over grandma to get to it, but I do pick up a bag now and then.  Although I do find myself tasting them hours later.  The ads for them are surprisingly flavorless though.

I once bought a drink from the Fresh Market (a sort of high end grocery store) that had chia seeds in it. Not good.

Why do I suspect that somebody is trying to find ways to unload a surplus of chia seeds with chia pets not selling like they used to?

• Love 11

I think what you mean is no need to link a decrease in his manhood with his willingness to be an engaged parent to his daughters, since engaging with the children is for most people an appealing quality in a man.

Pretty much everything about that commercial is offensive.  Including his stupid beard.  I hate beards and I'm tired of seeing them.

Yes, you are correct. Attentiveness to one's children is a positive tick in the "be a good man" column. And the "be a good woman" column, in all honesty. Kudos to engaging in your children's interests (even if they sometimes do not align with your own)! No woman should ever be horrified to see her husband being a good parent.

I don't fully reject beards, though. I can't necessarily stand with you on that one.

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 5

Awww, I actually like that one.  Wouldn't run over grandma to get to it, but I do pick up a bag now and then.  Although I do find myself tasting them hours later.  The ads for them are surprisingly flavorless though.

Damn.  Curiosity cured.  Lol.

• Love 1

Speaking of the commercial with the reddi whip and no frig.... how did we all not get food poisoning back in the day when we (those of us) took our lunch to unAC'd schools at 7:30 a.m. and didn't eat til 12 .... tuna salad sandwich in the sweltering heat for hours. Just sayin and I"ll take the rest to small talk.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 7

Phht. The "toughen up your man with nasty flavored frozen pizza" commercial would have been better served by giving him the spicy pizza in response to him drinking air during the tea party, then having the girls enjoy watching sports with him at the end 

Wait -what did the little girls eat? Did yogurt bitch mom make a pizza for dad but nothing but imaginary tea for the girls? 

• Love 4

Speaking of the commercial with the reddi whip and no frig.... how did we all not get food poisoning back in the day when we (those of us) took our lunch to unAC'd schools at 7:30 a.m. and didn't eat til 12 .... tuna salad sandwich in the sweltering heat for hours. Just sayin and I"ll take the rest to small talk.

And before the advent of the can koozie, going on field trips with a sack lunch and a can of soda wrapped in tin foil.

• Love 5
Wait -what did the little girls eat? Did yogurt bitch mom make a pizza for dad but nothing but imaginary tea for the girls?

The girls get nothing! Come to think of it, we don't see mom eating either. Not only does this commercial disrespect paternal-child bonding, it encourages females to starve themselves. In protest, I will feed pizza to all of my family! In large quantities! And watch sports with my daughter while my husband pretends to drink tea! (OK, not that last part. Just the pizza and sports.)

• Love 4

The little girls didn't need to be re-bolded so that pizza was not appropriate for them.

• Love 6

Ok this is shallow.

I hate that chicken broth commercial in which the woman says, "I make the best chicken NeeYOO-dle soup"

Who says NeeYOO-dle?

Heh Now I feel like Stewie and Brian on Family Guy with the "Cool Whip" debate. :)

OH MY GOD, this extends often to the word "new" as well! I can never not hear it and it makes me nuts (or, perhaps, "nee-uts"). It happens sometimes with "food" too --I can't remember when I last heard that one but it was a dog "fee-ood" commercial.

• Love 1

The little girls didn't need to be re-bolded so that pizza was not appropriate for them.

Of course, little girls are delicate creatures who don't need to eat anything in preparation for a life of eating watery Yoplait yogurts when they grow up.

I suppose if you never eat anything, Yoplait might taste slightly less awful.

• Love 8

UGH!!! Another new stupid Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial. Basic coverage usually only covers you in case the other driver has no insurance you nitwit. You have basic coverage, Peaches. Chances are it will not cover you hitting your wife's car. Learn how to drive and maybe the insurance company would not ask you to pay more.

UGH!!! Another new stupid Liberty Mutual Insurance commercial. Basic coverage usually only covers you in case the other driver has no insurance you nitwit. You have basic coverage, Peaches. Chances are it will not cover you hitting your wife's car. Learn how to drive and maybe the insurance company would not ask you to pay more.

I can understand hating Liberty Mutual with the intensity of a thousand suns.  Having said that, basic coverage is normally liability coverage.  Liability coverage will cover repairs to another vehicle if you are at fault for an accident.  You are required to carry liability insurance in many states so you can't hit someone's car and then claim you don't have any money to pay for repairs.  

Comprehensive coverage normally includes liability coverage + insurance coverage to repair your vehicle whether or not you are at fault for the accident.  

By all means, snark away though, Liberty Mutual sounds like its overrun with nitwits!

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

I think the idea is that blades for the major razor brands are very expensive for what shouldn't be that pricey a product.  Which they are.

I don't know how it is where anyone else lives, but where I am you can't just buy razor blades - they are locked up tight and you need an employee to get them for you. Because suicide? I guess?  So while these commercials exaggerate the issue, I find them (at least the ones relating more to the security of the blades, rather than the price) hilarious. 

• Love 3

I don't know how it is where anyone else lives, but where I am you can't just buy razor blades - they are locked up tight and you need an employee to get them for you. Because suicide? I guess?  So while these commercials exaggerate the issue, I find them (at least the ones relating more to the security of the blades, rather than the price) hilarious. 

So, I remember a while -- it was en vogue in certain areas for girls who were in squabbles with other girls to hold a razor blade in their mouth and when the time came they would slash the other girls face.  I honestly thought it was an urban myth until I saw a girl at Albertsons who had clearly been the victim.  It was heartbreaking.  She was only a teenager, but someone had clearly cut her face almost like a tic-tac-toe pattern.  Being a teenage girl is hard enough, worrying about how you look and what not and to have to travel that bumpy road with a slashed face.  To this day I can see her in my mind :(

• Love 1

I want to know how much damage this guy cause by hitting his wife's car. Me thinks this is not his first accident or claim with the insurance company.

LOL -- yeah, I'm sure he was on a first name basis with the claims adjuster.  When I did that job we had our "frequent flyers."  

• Love 1

I'm answering this in Small Talk.

• Love 2

Phht. The "toughen up your man with nasty flavored frozen pizza" commercial would have been better served by giving him the spicy pizza in response to him drinking air during the tea party, then having the girls enjoy watching sports with him at the end (as a lifelong female, I can faithfully say that it's possible to enjoy both frilly things and contact sports). No need to link his manhood to his willingness to be an engaged parent to his daughters.

So do the pizza makers truly believe there's an untapped market of women who are turned off seeing their husbands share playtime with their daughters? News to me. I wonder if they'll have any future commercials for women turned off seeing their husbands share playtime with their sons- or for that matter commercials for men turned off seeing their wives share playtime with their any of their kids. It sure sounds as though someone's got issues seeing parents actually having fun with their kids. Boo!

• Love 7
News to me. I wonder if they'll have any future commercials for women turned off seeing their husbands share playtime with their sons- or for that matter commercials for men turned off seeing their wives share playtime with their any of their kids.

Since the commercial seemed to be aimed at the softening of a man by playing with the girls, I guess the equivalent would be that Hubby reacts to me playing Minecraft with my sons by popping a steamed-rice-and-veggie dish into the microwave to get me back to my milder ways, ending with a shot of me crocheting a granny square. [Note; this post is in no way meant to denigrate steamed rice and vegetables or crocheting as a hobby; I actually enjoy them all. I'm just playing on the stereotype of "mild."]

• Love 7

Hey!  I'll have you know I'm and excellent driver and not even attracted to other women!

/NTTAWWI

• Love 8

Since the commercial seemed to be aimed at the softening of a man by playing with the girls, I guess the equivalent would be that Hubby reacts to me playing Minecraft with my sons by popping a steamed-rice-and-veggie dish into the microwave to get me back to my milder ways, ending with a shot of me crocheting a granny square. [Note; this post is in no way meant to denigrate steamed rice and vegetables or crocheting as a hobby; I actually enjoy them all. I'm just playing on the stereotype of "mild."]

So would you be "un-bolded" or "re-milded?"

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

So do the pizza makers truly believe there's an untapped market of women who are turned off seeing their husbands share playtime with their daughters? News to me. I wonder if they'll have any future commercials for women turned off seeing their husbands share playtime with their sons- or for that matter commercials for men turned off seeing their wives share playtime with their any of their kids. It sure sounds as though someone's got issues seeing parents actually having fun with their kids. Boo!

The feminization of men is seen as a big problem in some segments of the American populace. I will not say what news network and political party believes this. So the commercial is just having a little fun with the premise. Just google the feminization of America. And then laugh along with the commercial premise.

I guess the equivalent would be that Hubby reacts to me playing Minecraft with my sons by popping a steamed-rice-and-veggie dish into the microwave to get me back to my milder ways

Nope.  He'd give you several containers of Yoplait and two spoons to make eyebrow jewelry.

• Love 9

Ok this is shallow.

I hate that chicken broth commercial in which the woman says, "I make the best chicken NeeYOO-dle soup"

Who says NeeYOO-dle?

Heh Now I feel like Stewie and Brian on Family Guy with the "Cool Whip" debate. :)

Oh Dear.  What an ABOMINATION!  Massacre of the English language!  How can she SAY THAT???

Needless to say, I finally saw this ad.  And I regret it.

• Love 3

I am sick of this commercial, enough with talking to your food like it's a baby

Not to be a stickler, but aren't all these items already on McDonalds dollar menu?  I don't eat gluten anymore, so its been a long time since I've stepped foot in a McDonalds, but  It looks like a $1.00 sandwich/4 pc nuggets.  A small fry ($1.00 last time I checked).  And a small soda (in my area, you can get any size soda at most McD's for $1.00 according to the window signage).  

So what is the $.50 surcharge for?  The brilliant ad campaign?

This ad bugs the crap out of me with the people saying their text speak out loud with "er mah gerd," "brkfast," "bfast," and "WHYYYYYYYYY."

There's a new Johnsonville ad that I'm just putting here because of the discussion above, though it made me laugh.  I love Grandpa's face at the end.

At first I thought this was funny; but then I wondered what happened to the real grandma.  Then it got disturbing.

• Love 9

This ad bugs the crap out of me with the people saying their text speak out loud with "er mah gerd," "brkfast," "bfast," and "WHYYYYYYYYY."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOqMWNmmTc

At first I thought this was funny; but then I wondered what happened to the real grandma.  Then it got disturbing.

Not that I eat breakfast at McDonald's (I think I had a McMuffin 15 years ago when someone brought a bag of them into work) but that ad makes certain I'll never buy one.

I wondered what happened to Grandma, too. Did Mafia guy bury her in the backyard?

• Love 4

Its nice to know there is an actual date for this blessed event.

Not that I eat breakfast at McDonald's (I think I had a McMuffin 15 years ago when someone brought a bag of them into work) but that ad makes certain I'll never buy one.

I wondered what happened to Grandma, too. Did Mafia guy bury her in the backyard?

She could be in the sausage.  I'm just saying -- when your tagline is "we make family" and you're a sausage company.....

I wouldn't eat the chili at their house.  Or the hamburger.  I might even take a pass on the tofu.

ETA: Having said that, I would eat the chili before I would eat the Yoplait yogurt.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 9

NeeYoo-dle?  I finally saw this thing, is it some kind of regional pronunciation?  I've lived in Texas, Pennsylvania, Chicago, California and Washington State and I've never heard it pronounced this way.

Yeah, it's regional - the State of Dumbass. I've traveled all over the U.S., Canada and the U.K. I've never heard that mispronunciation.

She could be in the sausage.  I'm just saying -- when your tagline is "we make family" and you're a sausage company.....

I wouldn't eat the chili at their house.  Or the hamburger.  I might even take a pass on the tofu.

OMG! Laughing my ass off!
  • Love 8

So what is the $.50 surcharge for?  The brilliant ad campaign?

I'm sure that's a good deal in some areas. Prices can vary quite a bit between different McDonalds, even when they're fairly close to each other. I noticed at one recently that there were only a couple of items on the dollar menu that were actually a dollar. One was a cone that other nearby McDonalds were offering for 49 cents. I think the other was a 12 oz soda (a real deal compared to the larger sizes, especially if you're dining in and get a refill).

"It puts the lotion on its skin....."

• Love 7

can't believe you went there!  :)

You must be new to this thread. XD

Also:

Woman in pain reliever commercial: "With less pain, I feel better."

Me: "Really, lady? Well, aren't you a keen observer of detail."

Also, squared:

Shut up, Alyssa Milano. Extra ten pounds? Where, in those flowing locks of yours? Shut up.

• Love 16