Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the first woman they show is trying to hide her true identity? First, her really bad wig, second, WTF kind of voice is that? It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I hate this commercial.

• Love 3

If I hear the asshole on Yoplait talk about eating a cloud when it comes to his yogurt, I'll scream after I drive bamboo skewers through my ears.  I thought the Amelie clone was bad.

I swear one of these days she's going to drive me to hurl my t.v. right through the window like the hammer tossing chick in the original Apple ad, that and the "Baybeeee" whiner.

• Love 1

Dollar Shave Club wants us to think that buying a razor is a major purchase, that would require us to sell off a Picasso or a child.  Uh, are we supposed to be that stupid?

In a word, yes.

You haven't watched many commercials lately, have you? :-P

Or this.  :-)

I'm probably going to Hell for this, but this is my preemptive complaining about the stupid pink breast cancer ads that are about to invade ouf TV commercial space. I disapprove the commercialization of breast cancer with this pink nonsense which trivializes it and is little more then a marketing gimmick for the sheeple too lazy to actually do anything meaningful. If you want to fight breast cancer that much, make a direct contribution so most of it goes to that instead of covering administrative and promotional costs.

• Love 20

Then why isn't it a "pair of shirts", since you have two openings for arms? It is consistent with a pair of pants or jeans or trousers. Maybe it has something to do with how these items were once constructed. A typical pair of pants isn't far off from two of the same thing sewn together. In a less tailored past, maybe it was.

Yep. I'm not sure about shirts, but back in Tudor times, there were pairs of sleeves because they were attached with laces and you could apparently buy or sew them separately from the dress and use the same sleeves on different dresses, as one person was described as wearing their "best pair of sleeves".

Neat!

Okay, she annoys me.

Go back to the animated commercials, Duluth Trading! "Grab-happy" bears, pole-dancing plumbers, angry beavers, and a moose who sticks their tongue into your ear are funny. This commercial is not.

I think Faith Salie covers it best.

I couldn't get the video to load, but it's also on Facebook:

• Love 4

I like football, but I hate football season ads.  Peyton Manning was trying to sell me pizza and insurance last year; this year he's trying to sell me pizza, insurance (and the new Nationwide commercial is trying way too hard), AND DirecTV.

It's better than last year's superhero-douchebag ads.
  • Love 1

I'm probably going to Hell for this, but this is my preemptive complaining about the stupid pink breast cancer ads that are about to invade ouf TV commercial space. I disapprove the commercialization of breast cancer with this pink nonsense which trivializes it and is little more then a marketing gimmick for the sheeple too lazy to actually do anything meaningful. If you want to fight breast cancer that much, make a direct contribution so most of it goes to that instead of covering administrative and promotional costs.

I'm right in that hand basket next to you.  Don't get me started on the "Save the Tatas" and "Save Second Base" and "I heart Boobies" ribbons and bracelets that will soon be circulating everywhere.  Fuck all that shit.

• Love 10

I've recently started to see commercials for something called Nugenixs which apparently is some form of male enhancement/testosterone booster.  At first I thought it was Nugentics - as in Ted Nugent.  Yikes!  And ewwww!

<shudder>  I'm so glad you were wrong!

• Love 2

Yessss. She seems like a woman who mocks typically feminine interests. I am tired of the stereotype that girly equals bad. Some of the most intelligent people I know are doctors who are super into makeup, a PhD who used to be a ballerina, and a highly successful lawyer who is always is looking at the latest fashion trends for women.

I agree, but I think the opposite is true 90% of the time.  If you're NOT into things that are considered "feminine"  people give you the side eye, so this commercial doesn't bother me.

• Love 4

Dollar Shave Club wants us to think that buying a razor is a major purchase, that would require us to sell off a Picasso or a child.  Uh, are we supposed to be that stupid?

I am completely baffled by these commercials. I was unaware that there's some sort of razor crisis going on.

I was home quite a bit over the weekend and saw that awful DraftKings commercial dozens of times. I looked for the disclaimer "for douchebags only" but I guess the commercial does more than imply that.

• Love 3

Is the Liberty Mutual guy who doesn't understand basic insurance fairly new, or did I somehow block him out of my consciousness until now?

My dad had a million of those type questions, my favorite being why are you ON a boat, ON a plane, ON a train, ON a bus but IN a car?

I think the difference is that the normal way of boarding a boat, plane, train, or bus is to step onto it, but for a car, you usually sit down in the doorway.

Is the Liberty Mutual guy who doesn't understand basic insurance fairly new, or did I somehow block him out of my consciousness until now?

You'll have to narrow it down more than that - it describes all of them :)

But if it's the guy who "dropped 40K" and doesn't understand either depreciation or how long modern cars can go before their first oil change, he's old.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 4

You'll have to narrow it down more than that - it describes all of them :)

Sorry, I was referring to the guy who doesn't understand why "basic insurance" doesn't cover all of the expenses of a "basic accident".

The people of NYC should be offended that LM keeps keeps putting the Statue of Liberty in the background, implying that the city is full of morons. How about stretching their imaginations a little with other symbols of liberty; maybe start with the Liberty Bell and the painting of the Declaration of Independence being signed, and before you know it, maybe they can actually come up with fresh ideas for an ad campaign.

• Love 7

Yessss. She seems like a woman who mocks typically feminine interests. I am tired of the stereotype that girly equals bad. Some of the most intelligent people I know are doctors who are super into makeup, a PhD who used to be a ballerina, and a highly successful lawyer who is always is looking at the latest fashion trends for women.

I agree, but I think the opposite is true 90% of the time.  If you're NOT into things that are considered "feminine"  people give you the side eye, so this commercial doesn't bother me.

I checked the Duluth Trading website for more info. It looks like one of the ad's failures is that the voiceover is not the voice of the woman in the ad. She -- it looks like Nora, who appears to be a perfectly nice person -- has a straightforward, unaccented voice. Duluth seems to have picked a voice actor who sounds like the female equivalent of a good ol' boy for some reason. The drawl makes what she's saying sound vaguely contemptuous, which is probably not their intention.

As for that, there still seems to be a fine line between being non-traditionally feminine and being against traditional feminine stuff. To me, she's the former and not the latter since she's just talking about herself and no one else, but I can see how the drawl might be coloring her words. YMMV, of course.

• Love 1

There's an ad for something called NetDebt which sounds like they do debt consolidation loans.  The only ad I've seen so far (and I can't find it online) has this guy, who looks vaguely familiar, in a huge facial closeup talking about what NetDebt does for you, but the poor guy has such a sad, hangdog expression on his face, I want to cry.

This will blow the Liberty Mutual Asswipe Spokespeople's tiny little minds. There was just a story on the news about a man who took his family for a drive in the mountains near here and his car was rammed by a male elk repeatedly. (It's rutting season and they are very dangerous.) It took out his driver's door. It looked like the Jaws of Life had ben used on it. His insurance company told him that it wasn't an accident because he didn't hit the elk, rather it was an act of God.

I can see it now, "Here I was, pulled over minding my own business in the wilderness, when a giant horny elk rammed my car I'd just dropped 40 grand on and my insurance company blamed it on God. What kind of excuse is that?" Cue God in the clouds aiming a lightning bolt aimed at the guy.

• Love 16

There's this Johnsonville Sausage ad where this couple is trying to get their adult son to move out.  I dislike the parents for being spineless and not being upfront with him.  I dislike the son more for not taking taking the hint with the obvious fake newspaper article.  Also, for saying that you're "no longer a family" because you supposedly can't get anymore Johnsonville sausage.  So, you only consider your parents family, not because they gave you love and support your whole life, but because they cook you your precious sausage.  No wonder they want your ass out.

Plus, the way he demands his dinner be brought to his room "with chocolate milk" is more irritating than funny to me.

• Love 4

Sorry, I was referring to the guy who doesn't understand why "basic insurance" doesn't cover all of the expenses of a "basic accident".

Hmm... haven't heard any of them say "basic accident", but then I've got a pretty quick mute-button reaction to that view of Lady Liberty, who really doesn't deserve being photobombed by those idiots. I think I would notice that one, because I learned the hard way in college that "basic insurance" is "liability for the other car; you, however, are screwed".

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 3

There's this Johnsonville Sausage ad where this couple is trying to get their adult son to move out.  I dislike the parents for being spineless and not being upfront with him.  I dislike the son more for not taking taking the hint with the obvious fake newspaper article.  Also, for saying that you're "no longer a family" because you supposedly can't get anymore Johnsonville sausage.  So, you only consider your parents family, not because they gave you love and support your whole life, but because they cook you your precious sausage.  No wonder they want your ass out.

Plus, the way he demands his dinner be brought to his room "with chocolate milk" is more irritating than funny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG0yJAMJoIQ

Yeah, I've come to hate the Johnsonville commercials. First we have the Mafia guy trying to get his terrified looking neighbor to hide a murder weapon or something in his laundry room. Now we have the 40 year old chocolate milk swilling psycho son. His parents look frightened of him.

What is this? Terror by sausage?

• Love 4

think I would notice that one, because I learned the hard way in college that "basic insurance" is "liability for the other car; you, however, are screwed".

You can be screwed on the liability to others too if there's more than one other car or you hit something expensive. But, if basic insurance covered more, it'd be more expensive and more people would drive around uninsured (however illegal that may be).

Ok this is shallow.

I hate that chicken broth commercial in which the woman says, "I make the best chicken NeeYOO-dle soup"

Who says NeeYOO-dle?

Heh Now I feel like Stewie and Brian on Family Guy with the "Cool Whip" debate. :)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Just saw a new Liberty Mutual ad with a football guy who basically gives the same spiel as the other lady who bitches about only getting 3/4 of the car covered. The disclaimer at the bottom said that the coverage is only for new cars less than one year old with less that 15,000 miles on it.

Are there that many people out there who are totaling brand new cars left and right?

I didn't realize until today how restrictive their coverage is but then I realized almost every person says that they damaged their "brand new cars." Except poor dead Brad.

• Love 4
Brad's age depends on how long it takes his owner to go through two boyfriends and three jobs.  That could be less than a year.

I think she says how many years she had the car.  Four, maybe?  I remember thinking, "Three jobs in X years?!" so I'm pretty sure she designates the length of ownership.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

When I hear her going on about Brad I add some extra lines to her speech.  "You loved Brad.  Brad, however, hated you.  Brad jumped a railing and plowed into a tree, committing vehicular suicide to get away from you. Brad tried to kill you.  It was a murder/suicide plan that failed because you lived.  But Brad is no more.  Goodbye Brad.  Rest in peace motored friend." 

• Love 12

Are there that many people out there who are totaling brand new cars left and right?

I have a friend that did extensive research on buying a new car (this was late 90s). She ended up with a Ford Contour.  She hadn't made the first payment and some drunk ran a red light & T-boned her. Totalled her new, red Contour.  She got another one, blue this time.  I have no idea how much she had to pay & how much her insurance paid for it - all I remember is I was unemployed at the time and she called me to take her to the hospital, because I was the only person she knew that would still be up at 2 AM.  She was right - all I had to do was put on shoes, and I was out the door to go fetch her. (My car got loaded with a bunch of her crap from out of the trunk & back seat, too.) (How does anyone get so much stuff in a brand new car so quickly?)

• Love 2

checked the Duluth Trading website for more info. It looks like one of the ad's failures is that the voiceover is not the voice of the woman in the ad. She -- it looks like Nora, who appears to be a perfectly nice person -- has a straightforward, unaccented voice. Duluth seems to have picked a voice actor who sounds like the female equivalent of a good ol' boy for some reason. The drawl makes what she's saying sound vaguely contemptuous, which is probably not their intention.

As for that, there still seems to be a fine line between being non-traditionally feminine and being against traditional feminine stuff. To me, she's the former and not the latter since she's just talking about herself and no one else, but I can see how the drawl might be coloring her words. YMMV, of course.

This reminds me of a truck commercial where some 'cowboy' was talking about You've Got Mali with the most incredible sneer in his voice cause it was a movie for 'women'. This guy probably spent his evenings in his single-wide writing Walker Texas Ranger slash fic and polishing his belt-buckles.

• Love 7

This reminds me of a truck commercial where some 'cowboy' was talking about You've Got Mali with the most incredible sneer in his voice cause it was a movie for 'women'. This guy probably spent his evenings in his single-wide writing Walker Texas Ranger slash fic and polishing his belt-buckles.

*falls out of chair and dissolves into a puddle of hilarity*

• Love 4