Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Ugh, I was just shopping for ice cream and caught myself singing that stupid song. It's Della Reese: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7aBk/magnum-double-caramel-celebrating-25-years-of-magnum-pleasure

Aww, I actually like that ad.  Or maybe it's just the ice cream coma I get just from looking at Magnum Bars.

What kind of kid apparently doesn't know how to unbuckle his belt? What kind of parent doesn't teach their kid how to unbuckle his belt before he pisses on himself? If that's not how I'm supposed to see it, this ad is a fail.

Having experienced the occasional belt difficulty when I really had to pee, I have sympathy for the kid.  Now the parents who bought him that stupid, hard-to-unbuckle belt, that's a different story.

• Love 4

I abhor the Haagen Dazs commercial with the song I Just Want to Make Love to You.

Is it targeting peope with WAM* fetishes? 

*Wet and Messy - thank you Google.

What pisses me off about that ad is that they use the wrong lyrics.  The line in the song is "I DON'T want you to be true", not "but I want you to be true".  And yes, when Diet Coke used the song, I hated it then, too.  Yes, I know that's how Etta James sang it, but it's not how Muddy Waters wrote it, and it changes the meaning of the song.

And get your emojis off my lawn!

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6

What pisses me off about that ad is that they use the wrong lyrics.  The line in the song is "I DON'T want you to be true", not "but I want you to be true".  And yes, when Diet Coke used the song, I hated it then, too.  Yes, I know that's how Etta James sang it, but it's not how Muddy Waters wrote it.

To be fair, even Muddy sang it as "I don't want you to be true"

so if he didn't write it that way, he flubbed his own lyrics.

• Love 1

And get your emojis off my lawn!

I remember when those first popped up in my gmail options.  I used them for about a week, then the novelty wore off and I forgot all about them.

That was proserpina65's point.

• Love 2

Wait, if people can't say ki-en or kit-tin, what can they say?

Young feline? 

Baby cat?

Too cute for words?

Just kidding, of course. I blame Rachael Ray for singlehandedly evolving an entire dialect of baby talk that deserves to be stricken from polite conversation and any inclusion in the formal American English language. "EVOO" isn't in the dictionary yet, is it? 

"Panties" is one word I am begging hipsters, young people, texters...seriously, anyone with an idea to replace that word can do so. It must die. It's repulsive. Say "underwear" or "unmentionables" or even "lady modesty garment," I don't freakin' care. But not panties. And, if they are "moist," you really need to keep that to yourself. 

• Love 9

I think it was actually Born To Run, but the point stands.  Listen to the lyrics, people!

Here's an article about the misunderstanding of Born in the USA - http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/06/are-politicians-too-dumb-to-understand-the-lyrics-to-born-in-the-usa.html

Yes, listen to the lyrics!

"Panties" is one word I am begging hipsters, young people, texters...seriously, anyone with an idea to replace that word can do so. It must die. It's repulsive. Say "underwear" or "unmentionables" or even "lady modesty garment," I don't freakin' care. But not panties. And, if they are "moist," you really need to keep that to yourself.

My mother and grandmother called them drawers. I called them underpants until I developed "moistness" issues. Now I call them Depends.

Get off my lawn!

• Love 8

Young feline? 

Baby cat?

Too cute for words?

Just kidding, of course. I blame Rachael Ray for singlehandedly evolving an entire dialect of baby talk that deserves to be stricken from polite conversation and any inclusion in the formal American English language. "EVOO" isn't in the dictionary yet, is it? 

Lady modesty garment could be my favorite term ever.  

• Love 4

Am I missing something with the latest GE commercials? Some person gets a job with GE, and their announcement of such is met with scorn and derision by family and friends. The latest one features some poor schmoe being mocked by his parents for not being able to lift an heirloom hammer. The ads give off a distinct whiff of douchebaggery, but perhaps my smeller is broken.

• Love 3

I'm not getting what you mean here.

I think it's the second T showing up in the pronunciation of the second syllable. Kit-Ten.  Most folks (that I know) pronounce it Kit-n, slurring it much the way we ignore that syllable in "comf-ter-bul"  Kitns are comfterbul.  bwaahahaha. I crack myself up sometimes.

• Love 6

I don't see the big deal about the word "panties", it's just short for "underpants", the same way "bra" is short for "brassier".

That said, are they saying "panties" a lot in commercials?

It's got a...pervy, patronizing, insulting sound to it--in my opinion anyway. The plural, the diminutive, the "just for girls" thing, just the sound that combination of letters in that order makes, I don't know. But maybe I'm a wacko; I have lots of opinions on the way things sound and the gut feeling that certain sounds provoke (and quite possibly a touch of synesthesia too). "Panties" is truly a horror to me. 

As far as kittens (which is a delightful word no matter how anyone pronounces it!), though, the "debate" is probably moot, as none of us can hear or know for sure how it sounds to everyone else anyway. For all I know, my attempt at phonetic spelling is not translating well. Maybe it's a slight difference between "kit-in" and "kih-tin" (if that makes sense). I find it all interesting though!

Sort of related, I recall back at TWOP in the RHoNJ boards, many people heard the housewives saying "buh" instead of "but." But (buh?) I heard it fairly typically, if admittedly a little "soft" on the T. Again, though, I'm from North Jersey. I don't say it the same as they did exactly but I also don't make a really "hard" T either.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

"Panties" is truly a horror to me.

Mason Williams wrote a song called, "The Prince's Panties."  It might not horrify you - the Prince would name things for their characteristics, so he called his 100 cocker spaniels, "Panties," because that's what they did (mostly). 

• Love 3

Young feline?

Baby cat?

Too cute for words?

Responding to the bolded.

According to this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/19/AR2006121900255.html

"EVOO" has been in the Oxford American College Dictionary since the 2007 edition. I also saw references, on Google when I checked to reply to this post (because I was sure it was in the dictionary, but had forgotten when it was added), to it being on Dictionary.com's site & in the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

• Love 2

The line, as Muddy wrote and sang it, is "I don't want you to be true".  The line in the commercial is "but I want you to be true", as apparently Etta James performed it.  That's what I was complaining about.  I apologize for being unclear.

• Love 3

Here's an article about the misunderstanding of Born in the USA - http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/06/are-politicians-too-dumb-to-understand-the-lyrics-to-born-in-the-usa.html

Yes, listen to the lyrics!

My mother and grandmother called them drawers. I called them underpants until I developed "moistness" issues. Now I call them Depends.

Get off my lawn!

I knew about that.  This is the 'Born to Run' as unofficial state song of New Jersey thing:

http://www.welcometoasburypark.com/borntorun121.shtml

I've never minded the word "panties" since it goes back aways, but I could always use 'pants' the way the British do if that helps.  :-)

• Love 1

As far as kittens (which is a delightful word no matter how anyone pronounces it!), though, the "debate" is probably moot, as none of us can hear or know for sure how it sounds to everyone else anyway. For all I know, my attempt at phonetic spelling is not translating well. Maybe it's a slight difference between "kit-in" and "kih-tin" (if that makes sense). I find it all interesting though!

I think the issue is that the singers in that particular commercial are not pronouncing any t at all when saying the word kitten.

• Love 2

I like football, but I hate football season ads. Peyton Manning was trying to sell me pizza and insurance last year; this year he's trying to sell me pizza, insurance (and the new Nationwide commercial is trying way too hard), AND DirecTV.

According to this 2012 article posted to ESPN's website, Peyton has a Papa Johns franchise consisting of 21 Denver-area stores. It's not clear if the franchise was part of the compensation for his commercial endorsement deal or if he paid for it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8553736/peyton-manning-invests-21-denver-papa-john-pizza-shops

• Love 3
this year he's trying to sell me pizza, insurance (and the new Nationwide commercial is trying way too hard), AND DirecTV.

I misread this and thought "WTF is pizza insurance?"

I think I need pizza insurance, based on how often my children devour the pie before I've had a chance to get any. (Sometimes I forget that ordering food for teenagers isn't like ordering food for normal people.)

• Love 9

I knew about that.  This is the 'Born to Run' as unofficial state song of New Jersey thing:

http://www.welcometoasburypark.com/borntorun121.shtml

I've never minded the word "panties" since it goes back aways, but I could always use 'pants' the way the British do if that helps.  :-)

Thanks for the Born To Run article.

According to this 2012 article posted to ESPN's website, Peyton has a Papa Johns franchise consisting of 21 Denver-area stores. It's not clear if the franchise was part of the compensation for his commercial endorsement deal or if he paid for it.http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8553736/peyton-manning-invests-21-denver-papa-john-pizza-shops

Yeah, I'm a die hard Bronco fan but Peyton's involvement with Skeevy John's Pizza really disappoints me.

• Love 6

We are old farts here; we DO use the word "vegetables".  Maybe if we had an infant, we would feed it "veggies".

Not all of us.  Old fart here who uses the word "veggies" and has for years.  No infants in sight, but I do have two "ki-ens" :)

• Love 1

HAHA! Yep, he is also the one that taught me "britches" and "soda pop"!

(and the term "old fashioned", which as a former bartender I thought was just a cocktail with whiskey, bitters and muddled fruit.)

My innocence, My bad  :(

Edited by Flnurse
  • Love 2

The line, as Muddy wrote and sang it, is "I don't want you to be true".  The line in the commercial is "but I want you to be true", as apparently Etta James performed it.  That's what I was complaining about.  I apologize for being unclear.

Ah, okay! You were probably being clear and I just misunderstood, as is my wont. I should have actually looked up the stupid ad so as to see it for myself. :-)

Yeah, I'm a die hard Bronco fan but Peyton's involvement with Skeevy John's Pizza really disappoints me.

I live in the middle TN area where the TN Titans rule supreme.  Our Papa John's promotion is called "Titan Up."  I shudder to think about what slogans the CEO of Papa John's has for other teams:  Un-Bear-ably Good Pizza, Raven About Papa John's, Get Your Falcon Pizza at Papa John's.

If I never hear the words meat sweats or awesome sauce again, I'd be delirious. 

• Love 8

It's got a...pervy, patronizing, insulting sound to it--in my opinion anyway. The plural, the diminutive, the "just for girls" thing, just the sound that combination of letters in that order makes, I don't know. But maybe I'm a wacko; I have lots of opinions on the way things sound and the gut feeling that certain sounds provoke (and quite possibly a touch of synesthesia too). "Panties" is truly a horror to me. 

I associate the word "panties" with sex crimes.  It makes me think of news reports where perverts break into dorms to steal "panties" or how a woman was found in a ditch in her "panties."  Maybe some of that comes from watching cop shows, but I've disliked that word since I was a kid.  When I worked at GapBody, I hated when the other girls used that word.  "Panty" doesn't bother me as much but I still don't like it.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 6