Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, margol29 said:

I think every car commercial running right now annoys me one way or another.

The Buick one where UNCLE JUICE so cleverly wrote down the unspoken thoughts.

The Chevy ones where some dimwit always shouts "Just look at it!"

The truck commercial where everyone's jaw drops open when it drives by because the tailgate has hinges so you can fold it different ways.

The truck commercial with the remote control tailgate. (That one should be on the hinged one.)

Toyota Jan doing her country/western imitation. and her fist bumping one.

I could go on and on but that is enough for now.

Toyota Jan doing anything in any of her commercials.  She sucks and reminds me of an insect.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No kid being picked up from soccer practice is gonna refer to their friend's mom's car by the make/model name.

It wasn't soccer practice, but in high school in the mid-60s, my BFF and I would refer to a third girl's family car as "The Big BW" because that girl was ALWAYS talking about their Buick Wildcat like it was some big deal of a car. Jonesey & I were being sarcastic. Yes, it was a BUICK.  Bwaahahahahahaha.

• LOL 5
13 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The commercials for Sandals resorts drive me into a rage. My takeaway from ALL their ads is that only slim, pretty, young people are allowed at Sandals. 

My takeaway is that if you go there bring a gallon of clorox to wipe everything down.  Eww.

7 hours ago, mxc90 said:

It's an old commercial but the State Farm "she sher she shed"or what she says is annoying on TV and radio. I wish it would stop.

Chi-chier.

• LOL 7

I don't like the question at the end of the Capital One commercial: What's in your wallet?

These nosy clowns don't need to know what's in there.  

I just found this thread, now I feel compelled to watch the commercials instead of my usual fastforwarding through them. But it's good to get this off my chest!

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Toyota Jan doing anything in any of her commercials.  She sucks and reminds me of an insect.

You mean you dont love her country duet anoutnhow awesome toyotas are??? She's the poor means progressive Flo spokesperson. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

You mean you dont love her country duet anoutnhow awesome toyotas are??? She's the poor means progressive Flo spokesperson. 

Pretty sure you mean the poor man's Progressive Flo, in which case I totally agree with you. I thought of her as Fake Flo from the moment she appeared on our screens, and she only becomes more that way with each new pool of spots.

Maybe why I hate this kind of "advertising thievery" so much is that I had the good fortune to be a creative director at an agency whose corporate culture would never allow such a thing. If you dared present an idea that was derivative of another campaign, you'd be shot down in flames in such a way that you'd never forget it. If you did it more than once, you'd be fired. The flip side of this was positive, not negative. We worked really hard to come up with big, original ideas, and we were exceedingly grateful to work for a place whose corporate culture instilled this value in us.

• Love 13
48 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Maybe why I hate this kind of "advertising thievery" so much is that I had the good fortune to be a creative director at an agency whose corporate culture would never allow such a thing. If you dared present an idea that was derivative of another campaign, you'd be shot down in flames in such a way that you'd never forget it. If you did it more than once, you'd be fired. The flip side of this was positive, not negative. We worked really hard to come up with big, original ideas, and we were exceedingly grateful to work for a place whose corporate culture instilled this value in us.

If all you can do is steal other people's ideas, you should be fired. (not you, personally, the collective you who are making LiMu Emu and and Flo 2.0 aka, Jan (wait, so, does that make Flo Marcia? and Jan is the half assed middle sister who tries to be like her, which means we have a commercial version of Cindy out there somewhere! People, be on the look out for an annoying spokeswoman with a lisp and curls! Then we will have our Brady Trifecta!) knockoff commercials.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, chessiegal said:

I think the Buick ads are clever. 

I also like the new batch of Liberty Mutual ads. I think they are funny. The only bone to pick for me is they act like they are the only insurance company that let's you customize to your needs. We've been with State Farm for decades, and we always customize to our needs.

Bingo. What a shocking admission that Liberty Mutual has no message and no competitive advantages whatsoever. "Drek" is right.

I loathe them, and you raise a good point about their disguising totally generic claims as unique. (Which is but one source of my loathing.) When you think about it, other insurance companies don't really do that. Allstate focuses on the superior protection they'll give you because of their huge size, State Farm leverages their unparalleled network of neighborhood offices, Geico talks about saving you money compared to your current insurance, Progressive talks about the ease of buying their insurance online, Esurance kind of owns the "we make it incredibly simple because you don't want to have to think about insurance" category, Farmers is all about their assurance that they'll cover you no matter how weird your claim, etc. They all at least offer something that they can legitimately claim to be better at. Liberty's total reliance on gimmickry (and thievery of other insurance companies' devices, like the a-cappella jingle from Farmers and the animal from Geico) at the expense of an actual marketing strategy just exposes their utter poverty of ideas.

Wow, that's a really excellent analysis!

Edited by TheCrankyCreative
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I don't like the question at the end of the Capital One commercial: What's in your wallet?

These nosy clowns don't need to know what's in there.  

Ha! It ain't a Capital One card (no matter how much junk mail they send me). I do have a CO savings account, but that's only because they bought out ING and I never bothered to change it (ever since I took out the down payment on my condo I haven't had that much in there; I keep meaning to move it to a Discover savings account, which has better interest, for the moment at least, and also because I have their card so I'm on their site at least once a month; part of the reason I don't pay much attention to the CO account is because of the whole "out of sight, out of mind" thing).

5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Maybe why I hate this kind of "advertising thievery" so much 

Like the Kia ads that have the spokesperson dressed in red just like Jan?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Well said.

• Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 9:41 PM, ams1001 said:

The only time I ever refer to my car as Hyundai and/or Elantra is if someone asks me what kind of car I have. If I have to point it out to someone I'm gonna start with "the blue one over there." Maybe add "the one with the duck on the dashboard."

Back many hundreds of years ago when there were a couple of Comedy Channels on Cable, I loved watching stand-up. Rita Rudner was always a favorite of mine. She had a part of her routine where she would ask a man in the front row what kind of car he drove, he would answer in entirely more detail than any woman ever wants about a car. Then she would tell him to ask her what kind of car she drove, he did and her answer was "the blue one." That's exactly how I feel about makes of cars. Or car repair, my brother used to do my car repair, I would tell him that the car was doing something or other or making a sound like, "blah, blah, blah." He would then launch into a 15 minute discussion of what could possibly be wrong, I didn't care, so I started raising my hand like when I was in school and when he acknowledged, I'd say, "how much and how long?" It's how I feel about all car related stuff, commercials, insurance, makes, models, I don't care, will it get me from point A to point B, does it have heat and a/c. If it's blue, that's a plus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

It's how I feel about all car related stuff, commercials, insurance, makes, models, I don't care, will it get me from point A to point B, does it have heat and a/c. If it's blue, that's a plus.

Haha, yeah that's me. Including the blue, which I didn't manage to get until my last car. Current car is not quite the shade I'd prefer, but it's close enough.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

there was a discussion earlier about the So Klean, CPAP machine and I have a question about the ad, is that William Shatner? It sort of looks like him, it sort of sounds like him.

It is him.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, friendperidot said:

It's how I feel about all car related stuff, commercials, insurance, makes, models, I don't care, will it get me from point A to point B, does it have heat and a/c. If it's blue, that's a plus.

Pretty much sums up my attitude as well. My family's had an interesting history with cars that had some kind of issue with them, so as long as I know the thing doesn't look like it's going to fall apart on me at any moment and works the way it's supposed to, that's all the more I really need to know or care about.

(For me, a red car would be nice :D. I also like a car that has a working radio/CD player/some outlet for music, 'cause you gotta have tunes for the road.)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

(For me, a red car would be nice :D. I also like a car that has a working radio/CD player/some outlet for music, 'cause you gotta have tunes for the road.)

My current car doesn't have a CD player, which I kind of miss (despite the fact that I had the same CD in my last car for the entire three years of my lease). But I usually play podcasts from ipod, anyway. Debating if I want to keep the satellite radio or just switch to a cheaper plan when my current special deal subscription runs out in a few weeks. (I definitely don't listen to it enough to pay full price for what I currently have.)

Also doesn't have the storage pockets on the backs of the front seats, which I find odd (and my last car only had one). Seems like each of my last few cars has had fewer and fewer little cubbie holes and other places to put stuff.

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:
12 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Haha, yeah that's me. Including the blue, which I didn't manage to get until my last car. Current car is not quite the shade I'd prefer, but it's close enough.

I'm loving all the blue car love! Mine is blue too, and when I first started driving I managed to get a huge scrap/dent down the passenger side. A mechanic got it out enough that the door would open and said for a cost I could have it fixed completely. It's been about 10 years. The dent is still there and I call the car Scar in it's honor. 

When I see these car ads, the only ones that get my attention are if they talk about actual features and show those features. Like the ones that help you back up, since that is probably my biggest driving fear. I am really bad at figuring out distance when I'm in reverse. 

All the "focus group" style commercials annoy me to no end. The Buick "not that Buick, this Buick" ones kind of confuse me. I get that they are trying to break out of the Buick = old person car stereotype, but to me the two cars they are pointing out look pretty similar to me so I don't get why they're so offended that someone picked the wrong one. The worst, though, are the ones that are just cars driving really fast because hello... speed limits are a thing people. I don't care how fast my car is capable of going because I really don't want to get arrested for going that fast. 

Oh and any car ad that is trying really, really hard to seem sexy. Though those ones typically just make me laugh. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

The worst, though, are the ones that are just cars driving really fast because hello... speed limits are a thing people. I don't care how fast my car is capable of going because I really don't want to get arrested for going that fast. 

That's why they always put the tiny white letters saying "professional driver on closed course; do not attempt" or some such wording. Advertising a product by using it to do something I shouldn't be doing with it is great! Right?

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

The worst, though, are the ones that are just cars driving really fast because hello... speed limits are a thing people. I don't care how fast my car is capable of going because I really don't want to get arrested for going that fast.  

Moving this to Small Talk.

Walmart's "are you sure you beeped everything?" commercial.

Stop saying "beep."

Boop is just as worse.

Confidential to the guy eating a burger made from plants in the Morningstar Farms commercial: Wipe your damn messy mouth!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, friendperidot said:

Car ads are turning into perfume ads, both now feature smugly good-looking people doing incomprehensible stuff (such as floating around on "It"'s red balloon).

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:34 AM, mxc90 said:

I'm waiting for someone to say a condom.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

As you all know the cardinal rule of advertising is that you can be as clever as you want, but if the customer can't remember the name of the product you have an epic fail.

What is it with SUVs?  99% feature driving along California Highway 1 and through Yosemite and look exactly alike.  I don't remember if it's Lexus or Mercedes or Volvo.

The only one that leaves any imprint is the spot for Land Rover with the 99-turn dragon race through mountains culminating in the manic drive up the 999 steps.  Thank you Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Well, the location shoot plus the pricetag over $60,000.

• Love 7

Come on, we all know Cheryl’s husband didn’t burn down the she-shed. That miserable look on his face is from contemplating how long it will take for a chi-cheir she shed to be built. That’s how long he has to put up with her being in the house with him, yammering on about it. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 3
On 3/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, Browncoat said:

I don't own a dishwasher.  I am the dishwasher in my house.  LOL

I don't either - with only two of us, the amount of water it wastes to me seems disgusting.

I would, however, like to borrow one every 6 months or so to get my vases and glassware as super sparkly clean as only dishwashers do.  Oddly enough, no one has a mobile dishwasher service yet, haha.

• Love 1

I may very well be a party of one with this, but I think the actors play the dynamic between She Shed Cheryl and her husband perfectly.  I don't think he burnt down her she shed, I don't think she spends all her time out there because they can't stand each other, any of that.  I think she's a little excitable and dramatic - e.g. jumping to arson rather than a lightning strike when she finds it on fire - and he's low-key, and they're totally used to each other.  They play liked a couple, and that's not easy to pull off in 30 seconds.

I'm amused by all the Cheryl's She Shed memes, yes, but I also enjoy the commercial on its own (a feat, since I think "man caves" and "she sheds" are ridiculous).  Her line delivery on "Well, my she-shed's on fire" is great, and his on "That's wonderful news" is even better.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Dbolt said:

Come on, we all know Cheryl’s husband didn’t burn down the she-shed. That miserable look on his face is from contemplating how long it will take for a chi-cheir she shed to be built. That’s how long he has to put up with her being in the house with him, yammering on about it. 

It was struck by lightning.  There's a slightly longer version that doesn't always air, where he says something to the effect of "No one burned it down, it got hit by lightning".

• Love 4
On 4/4/2019 at 11:40 PM, KillingAdam said:

More of a question, okay an actual question, what product is having the most annoying/disliked ads made right now?

Any toilet tissue adverts.  "Enjoy the Go" and "Down there Care" have my complete and utter hatred.  The Down there Care ones are remarkably annoying/gross/and almost offensive - even for toilet tissue ads.   

Commercials for diapers...  yuck, I just don't like them.  'Bouncy House" and the Pull Ups/rap song ones are particularly evil, sending me diving for the mute button. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Stella Rose said:

Any toilet tissue adverts.  "Enjoy the Go" and "Down there Care" have my complete and utter hatred.  The Down there Care ones are remarkably annoying/gross/and almost offensive - even for toilet tissue ads.   

Commercials for diapers...  yuck, I just don't like them.  'Bouncy House" and the Pull Ups/rap song ones are particularly evil, sending me diving for the mute button. 

The one that starts out ..."there's an elephant in out bathrooms.." makes me want to scream. We don't talk about it because nobody wants to talk about it, just shut up already.

• Love 9
On 8/24/2019 at 7:06 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

I agree and I can't stand Flo.

I've never understood why they inflict Jan on us.  I like Toyota, but they are making me reconsider.

1 hour ago, Stella Rose said:

They reach offensive to me.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

The only one that leaves any imprint is the spot for Land Rover with the 99-turn dragon race through mountains culminating in the manic drive up the 999 steps. 

I always wish the driver gets out of the car and it rolls back down the 999 steps (because he doesn't pull it all the way onto the platform).

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

The Humira commercial where the girl (lead singer) in the band is suffering from Crohn's Disease and is unable to get through rehearsal. She is very lucky to have found this product becuase you can tell from the other members she was "this" close to being relieved of her duties (no pun) from the band. And she didn't do them any favors by spending extra time in the restroom while they waited on stage, looking clueless, in front of an impatient crowd.

What's annoying is that damn disclaimer that always follows. Now this poor girl has to worry about a few minor issues such as the risk of lowering her ability to fight infections, including tuberculosis, serious/sometimes fatal infections and cancer (including lymphoma have happened), as have blood, liver, and nervous system problems. Serious allergic reactions and new or worsening heart failure. Oh Lovely! Rock on young lady!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/19/2019 at 6:01 PM, Colleenna said:

True. My FIL is an actual Mensa member, and he used to really like (wait for it.......) "Hee Haw."  

My parents sent me to my first day of kindergarten in "Hee Haw' cartoony printed denim overalls.  I do not want to argue about scarred for life.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2019 at 6:31 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I noticed some new (to me) commercials for shredded cheese which all begin with a brat refusing to eat what they're served, followed by them serving it with cheese or something entirely different to the 9-11 memorial song. Quit giving in to your persnickety brats!

I think it's called "shoulder surfing" and it's one way to get someone's login credentials.

Yea that little brat needs to eat what is put in front of them or do without 

• Love 5

Anyone else  want to punch the tv when that geico commercial comes on, the one with the small horse in the apartment disguised as a "dog"?

First off it is stupid. And the guy sitting on the floor, his voice absolutely gets on my nerves. Ill be glad when that commercial runs its course 

• Love 14

I see Libery Mutual has made new versions of its lame commercials with Zoltar and the man who lost weight and quit being a loser.

15 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

Remember the one with cartoon babies on a stage, twerking until their diapers ballooned up?

54 minutes ago, Tashalynn29 said:

Anyone else  want to punch the tv when that geico commercial comes on, the one with the small horse in the apartment disguised as a "dog"?

First off it is stupid. And the guy sitting on the floor, his voice absolutely gets on my nerves. Ill be glad when that commercial runs its course 

He reminds me of the stereotypical millennial snowflake. Ugh. The only thing I like is that someone clearly tricked that moron into thinking that miniature pony is a "service dog".

• Love 10

I've seen recently an ad for another of those aggregator sites (like trivago et al). This one is for cars.  The ad features various users of the site extolling it's virtues.  The first girl in the ad says "it tells you if the car is a good deal, or a great deal...or maybe if it's an average deal." The way she says it...omg she sounds like an idiot! Especially the word "average." It comes out something like "africh" and it makes me cringe! Every time I see the ad I imagine her continuing on to list all the possible options for what the site could reveal about a "deal." 

"...or if it's an OK deal, or if it's a slightly above africh deal, or if it's an awesome deal, or if it's a pretty good deal..."

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Tashalynn29 said:

YES YES AND YES. The commercial seems like an idea from 14 years ago or whenever Napoleon Dynamite was a pop culture "thing," like they got this idea off a shelf when they were out of any OTHER ideas. 

• Love 12

There's a new "Real People" Chevy commercial out with that dickbag guy in it. I hate it as much as the other ones. He starts out this one by saying "There's a company out there who has talked to even more real people than I have! JD Power!" First off fuckface, there is literally no one on earth buying a car due to JD Power awards. In fact, no one buys ANYTHING based on JD POwer awards. They award stuff like "Best Value Brand For Green REar Wheel Drives In Counties Whose Average Elevation CHange is between 175 and 225 Feet," and "Best Home Builder In America For Area Code 732," as well as "Best Carribean Vacation Resort Based On Deaths From Tainted Alcohol." Their awards could not be more meaningless in the real world. Guess who won the JD Power Award for "Most Grating Commercial Huckster, American Car Division" AND "Most Grating Commercial Huckster, American Truck Division"? Yeah, you did. In fact, your trophy is marked "Awarded to Fuckface McDouchenstein, Six Years Running."

So anyway, a gaggle of 'real people' (not robots) begin to slowly gather from all directions as he extols the fake ass awards Chevy racks up. Slowly and slowly they close in, vacant smiles on their Stepford faces...until one finally pounces on the spokesguy. They tear him limb from limb, it's gruesome! And at the end, one woman climbs to the top of the pile, blood on her face, his heart in her hands, and she screams primally, "I HAVE THE JD POWER NOW!" and takes a bit wet bite of the organ. 

Oh, no, that's how I wanted it to end, every time. Sorry guys. 

ETA THe one where all those assholes are like "we switched from ford, we switched from dodge, we switched from whatever" reminds me of the cult the Simpsons joined twenty years ago, when they spoofed scientology. This one's already been mentioned, one of the people says "Look at it!" and points to their entirely unremarkable Chevy sedan. Look dude, we all go through tough times, but don't try to convince us you're totally jazzed you're switching from the Lexus to a Cruze. Just own it, man. Be like "I lost my job as an ad executive working on Kia, so now I have to drive a Chevy. It's...I mean it'll get me to and from the office, plus I get sattelite radio for three months, it's cool and all. Not gonna get me laid or anything but the monthly payments are more manageable."

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • LOL 13
16 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Impossible Burger is people!!!

Notice the commercials only say it does not contain beef. It does not say no meat. 

Joking aside, my wife had one and said it tasted just like a regular whopper but costs more. Also, I think I read where just because it has no meat does nit mean it is any better for you. 

• Love 7

Yea that little brat needs to eat what is put in front of them or do without 

I have no objection to spicing up a particular food to entice kids to eat better. But you don't go from broccoli to Mac 'n Cheese. Try broccoli with a little bit of cheese, for example. That's how my mom got me to eat it. And we ate vegetables because we had a choice of tasty dressings to put on them or dip them in. You don't just give up and go "Oh well, here's McDonald's then." When the kids gets hungry enough they'll eat. They're in no danger of starving to death if you don't give in and feed them Mac 'n Cheese.

• Love 12

There is some annoying commercial for a candle--Glade or something--that says this candle is made with "apples...and cinnamon notes." While I admit to not knowing the official ingredients of said candle, I highly doubt it contains literal "apples." Why not just say "apple and cinnamon notes," which is, I assume, what is meant?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I have been hating on this commercial for a long, long time now. First of all, it was probably really expensive to make. Actors had to be hired to play the band and extras were needed to play the band's fans. Then a bus had to be rented for the pretend band. Then a real roadie probably had to set up all that stage equipment. But most of all, the band sucks! I sit there and I cannot fathom how this band would even have fans when all they ever sing is "Ahhhhhhhhh." And at the end of the ad they have a supposedly "sold out" show at 10 p.m. Yeah, right.

It would be funny if the band's name was Attack of the Crohns, though.

For. The fucking. WIN. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5