Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah my dad gets a bunch of channels with only "rabbit ears" inside his house - he lives about an hour from Pittsburg. But I live within 10 miles of a major metro city, and when my cable went out a couple weeks ago, all I could get was the CBS affiliate, the NBC affiliate, PBS and a couple of weird church channels. That's it. 

If you're within 10 miles of a major city, I'm guessing that you might have been able to receive those few channels without an antenna. Is that correct? If it is correct, you could get one of those antennas advertised on one of those commercials that we all hate, and it would actually work as advertised. You might even get ION during rain, snow, tornadoes, etc.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Nah. By the time the music is playing, Alex has already read the answer, so they wouldn't have enough time.  😉

Besides, cats don't have thumbs, so they couldn't press the buzzer fast enough.

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

I sort of want a reality show about the neighborhood in which Sheila's she-shed is burned down. Because what in the hell kind of people live there if a victim of arson (she suspects) is so calm on the phone and says "finally"?

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

An ad has been popping up late for (I think) Dunkin Donuts Hershey Coolatta.  A guy says something like "it's what I'd want a dessert island" and a girl tries to grammar shame him by replying "you know it's desert island, right?".  

My issue is that I'm pretty sure the saying is actually "deserted island" which would make them both wrong.  It drives me nuts every time, lol.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

It’s not just Geico. Progressive, Liberty Mutual, The General... I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I do in this current era. I almost think they’re all in competition with each other for who’s ad agency can be the most creative.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It’s not just Geico. Progressive, Liberty Mutual, The General... I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I do in this current era. I almost think they’re all in competition with each other for who’s ad agency can be the most creative.

In that case the win goes to Progressive, followed by Geico. I hate how much I like the Progressive commercial when they go over to Jaime's house. Sienta me, mon amor! 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, leocadia said:

An ad has been popping up late for (I think) Dunkin Donuts Hershey Coolatta.  A guy says something like "it's what I'd want a dessert island" and a girl tries to grammar shame him by replying "you know it's desert island, right?".  

My issue is that I'm pretty sure the saying is actually "deserted island" which would make them both wrong.  It drives me nuts every time, lol.

I always hear it as desert island and wonder why the hell you'd wanna be stranded in a desert with only one CD to listen to, or one book to read, or whatever...  Like this show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

WTF?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I always hear it as desert island and wonder why the hell you'd wanna be stranded in a desert with only one CD to listen to, or one book to read, or whatever...  Like this show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

WTF?

Now that it's mentioned, wouldn't calling it 'deserted' imply that it was at least at one time occupied and then abandoned? THat doesn't make a lot of sense in context either. I guess 'unpopulated' island doesn't have quite the same allure to it. Certainly a desert island doesn't make a lot of sense either, it implies that it's just a lump of sand in the water, which probably means a sand bar. 

Hot take: fuck that figure of speech altogether. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, leocadia said:

An ad has been popping up late for (I think) Dunkin Donuts Hershey Coolatta.  A guy says something like "it's what I'd want a dessert island" and a girl tries to grammar shame him by replying "you know it's desert island, right?".  

My issue is that I'm pretty sure the saying is actually "deserted island" which would make them both wrong.  It drives me nuts every time, lol.

The Gilligan theme song calls it a desert isle, so I'm going with desert island.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The Gilligan theme song calls it a desert isle, so I'm going with desert island.

But it was a tropical jungle, not a desert. 
Is there any closed captioning for Gilligan's Island?
If not, maybe it was a dessert island -- perhaps because families watched the show during dessert after their TV dinners.
  
  

43 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Now, if it were a desserted isle, drop me off!  🤣

Yes.

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, leocadia said:

My issue is that I'm pretty sure the saying is actually "deserted island" which would make them both wrong.  It drives me nuts every time, lol.

According to Merriam Webster, and they should know: "...the definition [of "desert island"] is simply "an island where no people live," so the desert in desert island is actually an archaic form of deserted: it refers to an island that is uninhabited, not one that is covered with sand (with the obligatory palm tree)."

Though I too wouldn't mind being stranded on a dessert island.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I used to know a guy who, when someone put on a lot of weight, referred to them as having visited Pie Island.  Count me in!

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I sort of want a reality show about the neighborhood in which Sheila's she-shed is burned down. Because what in the hell kind of people live there if a victim of arson (she suspects) is so calm on the phone and says "finally"?

Yeah, I wondered about that too.  It got hit by lightning, but still.....

6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It’s not just Geico. Progressive, Liberty Mutual, The General... I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I do in this current era. I almost think they’re all in competition with each other for who’s ad agency can be the most creative.

I have Erie, and I don't know that I've ever seen a commercial of theirs on TV, so maybe that's one reason they have good rates for good coverage.  They're a great company to deal with as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

According to Merriam Webster, and they should know: "...the definition [of "desert island"] is simply "an island where no people live," so the desert in desert island is actually an archaic form of deserted: it refers to an island that is uninhabited, not one that is covered with sand (with the obligatory palm tree)."

Though I too wouldn't mind being stranded on a dessert island.

I was just about to say this, and I have a link if anyone is interested.  It's an example of an archaic word being preserved in an idiom (like "beck" in "beck and call"); it's just confusing because it still exists with another meaning.

Regarding the commercial, is the guy intentionally making a play on words?

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I know we all hate Peloton here, but the commercial featuring the live instructor, "all my first time Peloton riders here..." I want to do her bodily harm. I would not be inspired by someone screaming encouragement and stupidity at me. I am not a candidate for spinning classes, aerobic classes or a freaking Peloton or Pelotan or Pelotin or however it's spelled, I can't even bother to look them up, I don't want their spam ads. But this one has been particularly aggravating to me lately.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

My daughter has a pelaton, I was visiting last month and watched her exercise. All that yelling "encouragement" would make me crazy and I'd never get back on it again.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Ancestry.com lady:

If you had no idea what your grandfather did in Guatemala, then no, that is not where you got your passion for social justice. You just said you had no idea. Passion for social justice is not genetic.

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Digiorno pan pizza commercial. "Pan, pan, pan, pan!" I realize pan pizza has a thick crust, but that "pizza" they show looks disgusting.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

And that pan "pizza" is expensive for a frozen supermarket pizza. I'd rather buy a Red Baron and earn my wings.
 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2019 at 6:29 AM, kariyaki said:

It’s not just Geico. Progressive, Liberty Mutual, The General... I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I do in this current era. I almost think they’re all in competition with each other for who’s ad agency can be the most creative.

If that's so, Liberty is the clear loser. All they do is copy the successful devices of other insurance companies. They're the complete opposite of creative.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

If that's so, Liberty is the clear loser. All they do is copy the successful devices of other insurance companies. They're the complete opposite of creative.

A couple Halloweens ago, we had a pair of trick-or-treaters dressed as Flo and Jake from State Farm (although this is the wrong thread for that, since they didn't annoy or irritate us at all!)

So this year, should we expect a LiMu, and a ...?  Gecko maybe?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

And that pan "pizza" is expensive for a frozen supermarket pizza. I'd rather buy a Red Baron and earn my wings.

My current favorite is the Detroit-style pizza from the chain Jet's.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

So this year, should we expect a LiMu, and a ...?  Gecko maybe?

They have an emu, but maybe a talking horse to compete with the camel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

They have an emu, but maybe a talking horse to compete with the camel.

All those are a lot harder costumes to put together than a red polo/khakis, or an apron 🙂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think Mr. Holmberg missed the part about "trick-or-treaters"... 

Indeed! (To quote another insurance ad.) But a talking horse is an almost clichéd costume, usually the back-end does the talking (or complaining).

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2019 at 11:31 PM, Gramto6 said:

My daughter has a pelaton, I was visiting last month and watched her exercise. All that yelling "encouragement" would make me crazy and I'd never get back on it again.

I noticed in one of the ads that the guy in the video is yelling "Let's go, Pelaton", so the bike is essentially yelling encouragement to itself. Maybe it's something that a user can get used to since it's not yelling at them?

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think Mr. Holberg missed the part about "trick-or-treaters"...  😉

Sorry I left out the m in Holmberg. It ain't easy using a laptop when there's also a cat in your lap.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Maybe it's something that a user can get used to since it's not yelling at them?

As I've said before, my family yells at me for free.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!11!!! I can't reach for the remote fast enough.

For what?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

car repair or funerals I think. There's one on the old people channels for some car repair insurance scam where this woman screeches "NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS!" Obviously, these people don't get out much on the poor side of town.

The slingers need to go away. I'm so sick of their innuendo. Or as I read in a psych note several years ago and this remains my favorite error in psych notes, started me collecting them, "sexual in yer window."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

There is a new car commercial making the rounds. I think it is for Kia. There is a very pretty saleswoman (I think she is related to Toyota Jan) dressed in red and white. She walks up to a middle aged couple looking at one of the cars. The husband says something nice about the car. The saleswoman says that he has great taste. The doofus wife yells out "HE'S TAKEN!"

I'm sure that the pretty saleswoman is NOT interested in your middle-aged, pudgy husband who is probably 15 years older than her.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, margol29 said:

I'm sure that the pretty saleswoman is NOT interested in your middle-aged, pudgy husband who is probably 15 years older than her.

And isn't wealthy, or he wouldn't be looking at Kias.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

So there’s an ad for one of the banks here in Canada, CIBC, for their new mobile ap. Showing some woman with wireless headphones, so singing away, paying for all her stuff by just tapping her phone. Look! She doesn’t even have to off her headphones and interact with the people helping her. The rudeness of this just makes me see red every time I see this ad.

  • Like 8
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/11/2019 at 9:30 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I sort of want a reality show about the neighborhood in which Sheila's she-shed is burned down. Because what in the hell kind of people live there if a victim of arson (she suspects) is so calm on the phone and says "finally"?

You know dang well her husband burned down the blinkin' she shed!

The new Progressive ads make me crazy. Grown-ass man dressed like a child acting like a brat. Not content to leave it at banging airplane tables, now they've got more. Gaw. It's got to be drugs.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Pepper the Cat said:

So there’s an ad for one of the banks here in Canada, CIBC, for their new mobile ap. Showing some woman with wireless headphones, so singing away, paying for all her stuff by just tapping her phone. Look! She doesn’t even have to off her headphones and interact with the people helping her. The rudeness of this just makes me see red every time I see this ad.

I mean, I get it. I do as much as I can online or over the phone but when I'm out in the real world, I smile at people, make eye contact and pass the time of day.  And you're right it is rude. Corporations would love nothing better than to get rid of human staff altogether. I really feel for retail people. I used to be one of them and it's the nature of the beast. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I mean, I get it. I do as much as I can online or over the phone but when I'm out in the real world, I smile at people, make eye contact and pass the time of day.  And you're right it is rude. Corporations would love nothing better than to get rid of human staff altogether. I really feel for retail people. I used to be one of them and it's the nature of the beast. 

Oh, for sure. I am an introvert but still manage to those serving me. They should have just showed her using self checkouts!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Two are under my skin lately:

1) A commercial for Pebbles cereal that airs incessantly on a few channels for kids (I like cartoons).  It has some blaring music with a kid yelling in a microphone that they're too close to (so they sound fuzzy and distorted): "YABBA DABBA DABBA DO, MAN!  Yabba Dabba Dabba Do.  YABBA DABBA DABBA DO MAN!!! YABBA....DABBA.....DOOOOOOOOOO".  The visual are quick jumps between video clips that have stuff like "Yabba Dabba Spin",  "Yabba Dabba Jump", and similar.  The visual would be someone jumping, using a Hula Hoop, etc.  It's like nails on a chalk board to me. (I can't do a link - almost everything under the sun is blocked now at work - I hope this site doesn't follow suit)

2)  A commercial for some magical wishicorn thing (also seen on the same channels where I catch my toons).  The stuffed animal is cute, and I think it would be a nice gift for a younger kid.  It's the song in the commercial that gets me (much like the Pebbles commercial).  The person way overanunciates the word "Wish" and it ends up sounding like someone doing a sound effect "WHOOSH".  And the words are dumb.  I can't even hear half of them because the voice over goes over top of the song, but you hear "Wish me, wish me, wish upon a glow".  I know they say that because the horn on the unicorn glows, but "Wish upon a glow" sounds so stupid.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

1) A commercial for Pebbles cereal that airs incessantly on a few channels for kids (I like cartoons).  It has some blaring music with a kid yelling in a microphone that they're too close to (so they sound fuzzy and distorted): "YABBA DABBA DABBA DO, MAN!  Yabba Dabba Dabba Do.  YABBA DABBA DABBA DO MAN!!! YABBA....DABBA.....DOOOOOOOOOO".  The visual are quick jumps between video clips that have stuff like "Yabba Dabba Spin",  "Yabba Dabba Jump", and similar.  The visual would be someone jumping, using a Hula Hoop, etc.  It's like nails on a chalk board to me. (I can't do a link - almost everything under the sun is blocked now at work - I hope this site doesn't follow suit)

Every time I see that commercial, I wonder if the kids in it even know who or what The Flintstones are.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Popples said:

Every time I see that commercial, I wonder if the kids in it even know who or what The Flintstones are.

They might if they've watched cartoons on the net.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Every time I see that commercial, I wonder if the kids in it even know who or what The Flintstones are.

I believe Boomerang still airs it. Whether they watch it or not is anyone's guess.  They could know who they are just by way of the cereal.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I always forget about the Boomerang network because my cable company doesn't carry it, in my area at least.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Popples said:

I always forget about the Boomerang network because my cable company doesn't carry it, in my area at least.

You can stream it, but only some of the content is free.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×