Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, GaT said:

It's a different commercial now!!!! I think they changed it, same product, different woman. I tracked it down again, https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oSHO/uqora-effective-solutions better listen soon, because this is now the only one I can find. I think they're deleting it because I'm not the only one who has a problem with her voice.

I heard vocal fry on the other one you posted too, although not nearly as bad as it is in this one.  This is like fingers on a chalkboard.  The link in the first post you made was mildly annoying but certainly bearable.

• Love 2

I'm sure this has been covered with all the other annoying pharma ads, but seeing the Emgality ad for the 50 millionth time has broken me.  The mom suffers from migraines and poor little child has vewy vewy sad feewings b/c mommy may not be able to play <insert frowny face here>.

I HATE THAT MOTHER (and by association...the kid).  I hate the way the woman speaks...there's a vocal fry when the kid asks her if "mommy can play", and mom replies "sure honey! wanna plaaaaaaaaaAAAAAYYY...PIRATE & PRINCESS?!?!?!"  GAH! I HATE this ad sooo much! I have no real reason other than her voice.  Wish I could sue for the assault on my eardrums.  I

I just HATE that lady & her voice & the whole stupid premise.  I can't dive for the mute button on the remote fast enough when I see/hear it. 

I need to go breathe into a paper bag and calm the eff down...Emagality lady has raised my BP.  And I think I'm getting a headache.  I'm sure there are pill ads coming on that can help me...

side note: (I know migraines are no joke and people truly suffer horrible, debilitating pain.  I have no problem advertising the drug if it can help anyone!)

• Love 13
(edited)
11 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I'm sure this has been covered with all the other annoying pharma ads, but seeing the Emgality ad for the 50 millionth time has broken me.  The mom suffers from migraines and poor little child has vewy vewy sad feewings b/c mommy may not be able to play <insert frowny face here>.

I HATE THAT MOTHER (and by association...the kid).  I hate the way the woman speaks...there's a vocal fry when the kid asks her if "mommy can play", and mom replies "sure honey! wanna plaaaaaaaaaAAAAAYYY...PIRATE & PRINCESS?!?!?!"  GAH! I HATE this ad sooo much! I have no real reason other than her voice.  Wish I could sue for the assault on my eardrums.  I

I just HATE that lady & her voice & the whole stupid premise.  I can't dive for the mute button on the remote fast enough when I see/hear it. 

I need to go breathe into a paper bag and calm the eff down...Emagality lady has raised my BP.  And I think I'm getting a headache.  I'm sure there are pill ads coming on that can help me...

side note: (I know migraines are no joke and people truly suffer horrible, debilitating pain.  I have no problem advertising the drug if it can help anyone!)

You are not alone.  I hate, loath and despise the mother and want the game to end with her walking the plank. And yeah, the kid is annoying too.

Because this has been discussed here before, my hatred of the ad is not because I think a mother can't play with her child or that a debilitating migraine hasn't kept a mother from spending time with her child.  It's that everything about the mother is obnoxious and she looks and sounds like a complete lunatic.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 8

I hate any and all "male enhancement" commercials, but most especially the radio ads with the annoying woman who screeches, "Men, are you having problems DOWN THERE???" I'm a woman, but I have to feel embarrassed for the guys in this case.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

The Takl commercial with Kathie Lee Gifford

That commercial drives me nuts.  First, on general principle because the name Takl is stupid.  Second, Kathie Lee Gifford.  Not only do we know she has staff, not randos off Takl, to do these things for her, it's right there in the ad -- she's talking this service up to her hair stylist and her driver, whose need to make a living prevents them from responding "Fool, please".

25 minutes ago, Suzn said:

You are not alone.  I hate, loath and despise the mother and want the game to end with her walking the plank. And yeah, the kid is annoying too.

That commercial came on last weekend when I was visiting my parents, and my mom said, "I don't know why, but this commercial bugs the hell out of me."  I laughed and told her she was in good company, as the annoying aspects of that ad had been enumerated by multiple posters on "my TV forum".

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
11 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I hate any and all "male enhancement" commercials, but most especially the radio ads with the annoying woman who screeches, "Men, are you having problems DOWN THERE???" I'm a woman, but I have to feel embarrassed for the guys in this case.

My favorite of those is one I keep seeing on TV late at night (seriously, I'm pretty sure they show it at least once every single commercial break) where they're talking about how not being able to "make it to the end zone" is a "big deal". While the voiceover guy's talking about that, they show a clip of a couple. The woman is staring out these huge windows (that aren't at all covered despite it being daytime and therefore making it easy for anyone in any other buildings to look into the room and see that she's just standing there in her underwear) and though we're seeing her from the back, it's clear she's not happy. Meanwhile the guy's sitting on the bed, in nothing but his boxers, rocking back and forth like a sad little boy, all the while clutching a pillow to his chest. 

It's absolutely hilarious. 

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

"I have Erie, and I don't know that I've ever seen a commercial of theirs on TV, so maybe that's one reason they have good rates for good coverage.  They're a great company to deal with as well."

Yep they are great.  When I was car shopping, I called my local agent and gave them a list of 3 or 4 VINs for the cars I was checking out.  They gave me quotes right away.  It wasn't the deciding factor in my purchase, but it was very helpful.

Someone chose "she shed" because of the alliteration.  Of course, "she chalet" would've worked too.  And Cheryl's husband totally burned down her she shed.  I mean, could he have been in any less of a hurry to use that hose to put the fire out?

Pelaton commercials make me want to sit in front of one of those yelling people and eat a whole pizza.

5 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

The Pirate Mom is on EVERY commercial break on Dr Phil AND Judge Judy.  I absolutely loathe her!  I do hope the makers of that drug are paying attention to comments like these.

Well, the Chevy douchenozzle is still around, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

My favorite of those is one I keep seeing on TV late at night (seriously, I'm pretty sure they show it at least once every single commercial break) where they're talking about how not being able to "make it to the end zone" is a "big deal". While the voiceover guy's talking about that, they show a clip of a couple. The woman is staring out these huge windows (that aren't at all covered despite it being daytime and therefore making it easy for anyone in any other buildings to look into the room and see that she's just standing there in her underwear) and though we're seeing her from the back, it's clear she's not happy. Meanwhile the guy's sitting on the bed, in nothing but his boxers, rocking back and forth like a sad little boy, all the while clutching a pillow to his chest. 

I don't know if there's a TV version yet, but there's a "male enhancement" ad constantly playing with lame as hell euphemisisms, like "Your alphabet is like A, B, oops!", fireworks going off too soon, etc.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

You have smitten the nail upon it's crux. There is something about her voice that just gets my blood boiling. She is so fucking smug but there's something else too that I can't put my finger on.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You have smitten the nail upon it's crux. There is something about her voice that just gets my blood boiling. She is so fucking smug but there's something else too that I can't put my finger on.

I know....there is some elusive hateable quality about her that I have struggled to describe.  She is every noxious thing we have have said and something even more.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I know....there is some elusive hateable quality about her that I have struggled to describe.  She is every noxious thing we have have said and something even more.

Yes, yes, it's like Yogurt Bitch mixed with Chevy Douche with a soupcon of Peleton Shrieker.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

I don't remember what the product is...some sort of male urology problem. They show a bunch of curved vegetables, cucumbers, eggplants, zucchini etc, and say something like every one has a different "normal" but  if you have a bump or curve that isn't normal for you, you may have "xxx" (don't remember the name). See your Urologis,t  but then they show the guy sitting on the examining table with a curved vegetable in his freaking hand...WTF???

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I've been seeing a new version of the migraine mom commercial. The beginning has changed. There's a male voiceover while she selects the props for the day's play and "Princesses and Pirates" is never mentioned by anyone. Either the advertiser needed to squeeze in some more legal language or (less likely) the negative reactions to Mom made them do it.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I don't remember what the product is...some sort of male urology problem. They show a bunch of curved vegetables, cucumbers, eggplants, zucchini etc, and say something like every one has a different "normal" but  if you have a bump or curve that isn't normal for you, you may have "xxx" (don't remember the name). See your Urologis,t  but then they show the guy sitting on the examining table with a curved vegetable in his freaking hand...WTF???

Peyronie's Disease - a curved penis.  Since they obviously can't show that, they use a parade of curved versions of penis-shaped vegetables.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Peyronie's Disease - a curved penis.  Since they obviously can't show that, they use a parade of curved versions of penis-shaped vegetables.

Yeah I get that, but just show him at the dr. He doesn't have to bring a curved veggie with him. Thanks for the name I totally forgot it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I signed up for this just to vent on some stupid commercials that have made me want to pull my hair out. I list the top ten worst on my list of many.

1. The Humira singer who bails every time she needs to sing as her band looks on. She doesn't sing even when she is singing so why do they need her? Also the guy guitarist with the curly hair and huge glasses I think is really actress Kate Jackson. I wondered where she went. That he/she bothers me to no end.

2. Liberty, Liberty, Liberty...Liberty. Cringe. To make it worse the guy with the huge calves. Seriously, those commercials are so awful I want to throw a shot put through the TV ever time they come on.

3. The Real Real. The horrible clothes on pencil stick female models, who dance like Pee-Wee Herman on crack, make me cringe. Who Real-ly Real-ly wears things that don't match? You might as well wear a cowboy boot with a tennis shoe. Why not, the rich supposedly wear crappy fashion according to this commercial.

4. The Diet Dr. Pepper gay/straight guy who attracts all the ladies but has a wink and a nod for the guys too. WTH? He is a sweet one though, ugh!

5. The couple for Sling. I have to take a shower after watching them. Not because I am hot and bothered by it, but because it is so slimy and dirty, like a lounge lizard doing the town all night long in rompers wearing gold chains. When he says the guy has "a good grip bro," it makes me do the super cringe.

6. The guy talking about Flex Tape or Flex Seal. It is like watching Uncle Fester slamming products that make your skin quiver.

7. That Title Max guy who hollers is so cringe worthy that even his extremely white teeth can't shine out the cheesiness.

8. Mountain Dew's puppy monkey baby. It freaking creeps me out like an antique doll with one eye sealed shut.

9. Pan, pan, pan, pan. See 2. So did it take all night to come up with that song? Let's ask the Liberty folks.

9. The lunatic mom on the Emgality commercial. She would give anyone a headache. The daughter is just like mom too, bugging the **** out of you.

10. The oohs and aahs when Chevy dude turns on the street lights above Chevy trucks. It is reminiscent of cavemen seeing fire for the first time.  Shhh... Guess what?! The Chevy trucks actually turn them on!! Yeah, ooh!

Thank you for letting me vent and if you want to add more commercials that make you cringe, feel free!

Edited by BadCommercials
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6

Seriously, is every commercial a car commercial now? Because last night I'm watching the Yankee game and I believe an ad for INfinitis came on. It's some luxury SUV, pulling up to a gated house (douche alert) and inside the home, through it's floor to ceiling windows, I believe some sort of gathering is happening. Anyway, as the car comes in, like 6 white husky-type dogs start charging the car and barking and looking in the headlights, and the car continues to advance, and eventually these wolves (no collars on them?) submit and allow the car to pass. There's so much wrong with this commercial I don't know where to start. 

• Did EVERY car get accosted by this pack of wild beasts apparently kept in the yard by the owners?
  • Are these in fact domestic animals or wild? If the owner of the home leaves his six aggressive dogs in the yard when he knows guests are coming, what sort of fucking villainy is going on in that house?
  • Did the owner of the car say "I see these dogs, and if they don't back down, I don't give a shit, I'm running them over"? Or did he think "WHAT IN THE FUCK IS HAPPENING?"
  • What was the conversation like when he or she enters the party finally, after these hounds retreat into the darkness to wait for their next victim to at least terrify?
    • "Dude, why is there a pack of white wolves in your fucking yard???"
    • "Hey, did you just seriously almost run over my dogs???"
    • "Why are your dogs ready to tear my car apart?"
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, BadCommercials said:

1. The Humira singer who bails every time she needs to sing as her band looks on. She doesn't sing even when she is singing so why do they need her? Also the guy guitarist with the curly hair and huge glasses I think is really actress Kate Jackson. I wondered where she went. That he/she bothers me to no end.

I love that one, but also hate it. The reason I love it is because I always imagine her being like "Yeah! Let's ROCK!" then suddenly having to say "Sorry guys, gotta hit the can again, man, these Crohn's shits, huh?" or the band suspecting she's going to coke it up in the bathroom when really she has a health issue, or them saying "You know she's going to have to just go take another shit, I mean really guys, this is holding back our careers, I feel bad but come on! ENOUGH SHITTING! TAKE HUMIRA!"

21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I have always had a fondness for Broadway Joe as well. After all, he did visit Bobby Brady when he heard he was very, very sick.

You know who doesn't have a soft spot for Broadway Joe? Suzie Kolber. Youtube it. I've been saying "I juss wanna kizz you" ever since. Tremendous live television creep moment. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I don’t know if this is a regional commercial about gambling but we have one in NJ with this slimy creepy guy talking about online gambling while showing pretty young women in low cut Black tight shirts dealing cards.  He says “our dealers are waiting to play with you”. 🤮gross perv 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I HATE THAT MOTHER (and by association...the kid).  I hate the way the woman speaks...there's a vocal fry when the kid asks her if "mommy can play", and mom replies "sure honey! wanna plaaaaaaaaaAAAAAYYY...PIRATE & PRINCESS?!?!?!"  GAH! I HATE this ad sooo much!

I posted here about this ad months ago, but I NEED to say that the very worst part of this is when Migraine Mommy brandishes her Etsy sword and growls 'on guarrrrrd' in this ridiculously theatrical way. I don't know why, but this makes me crazy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 7/18/2019 at 5:39 AM, shapeshifter said:

Admittedly, my hearing is not what it used to be, but I listened to the linked ad twice and didn't hear vocal fry. Are you sure that's the correct link, @GaT?
ETA: There is nothing in that commercial that would make me trust the product.

I found this great (IMO) short video on vocal fry from 2015:
https://youtu.be/s_LmC-ynqGM

I heard the vocal fry when watching the video, then rewatched it and counted two after the beginning and a "soft vocal fry" on the last word at the end.

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I just saw this on FB where someone referred to it as a Wo-Mansion.  Hahahahaha.

Maybe we have the same friend, because I mentioned that earlier in this thread.  😀

20 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

That's been a hot topic on several of these sub boards with everyone firmly split in to two camps.

1) This commercial can die in a fire.

2) Everyone is too harsh - this poor woman just wants to play with her kid.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

I don’t know if this is a regional commercial about gambling but we have one in NJ with this slimy creepy guy talking about online gambling while showing pretty young women in low cut Black tight shirts dealing cards.  He says “our dealers are waiting to play with you”. 🤮gross perv 

Jersey WHAT :). Yeah, I know that commercial too, it's disgusting. I wish it started out with "Do you like the convenience of online gambling, but miss the feeling of that skeevy combination of smoke-soaked carpeting and clammy humidity? You know, that je-ne-sais-quois that if it were a fragrance would be called Bingo Hall by Alan Saperstein? Well have we got a website for you!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

What is the deal with "Vocal Fry" ANYHOW?  Who are they trying to sound like?

I don't think the vast majority of women who do that are doing it intentionally. Some do, obviously, for effect, but I think it's actually just a natural resting place for lot of women's voices. It's one of those things that once you learn about it, you hear it everywhere, but something you never noticed until someone points it out.

It appears to be far more common in women than men. But I think there is a measure of sexism when it comes to "vocal fry" because nobody ever complains when men talk that way (in fact they tend to get complimented on their "sexy" voices when they do that - Bradley Cooper talks that way all the time) but when women do it, they are scorned for it.

At any rate I would expect someone casting a commercial to disqualify an actor who did that, but I guess that just shows a lot of people aren't aware of it, and don't notice it, until someone points it out to them.

• Love 7

Busy Phillips' vocal fry bothers me, but now noticing how many moles she has bothers me. I know it's bad to think that, but I can't really watch that commercial any more.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Busy Phillips' vocal fry bothers me, but now noticing how many moles she has bothers me. I know it's bad to think that, but I can't really watch that commercial any more.

Seriously, I am worried for her health.  Not a good sign to have that many moles, IMO.

5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Maybe we have the same friend, because I mentioned that earlier in this thread.  😀

That's been a hot topic on several of these sub boards with everyone firmly split in to two camps.

1) This commercial can die in a fire.

2) Everyone is too harsh - this poor woman just wants to play with her kid.

LOL - I think I'm one of the very few on here who has even a lukewarm leaning into side #2 (my theory is that that's her fantasy of how she could play with her kid if she didn't have the danged headaches!)  But that may be in great part because I've only seen the commercial a handful of times (rarely watch live), not every freaking commercial break.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

I’m in NJ too and hate all the online casino ads...”hey why not gamble away your retirement while sitting in your own home?”

Anyhow, that guy is Tillman Fertita, billionaire owner of Landry’s Restaurants and the Houston Rockets. He had a show on CNBC for a while and he seemed like a jerk imo.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

LOL - I think I'm one of the very few on here who has even a lukewarm leaning into side #2 (my theory is that that's her fantasy of how she could play with her kid if she didn't have the danged headaches!)  But that may be in great part because I've only seen the commercial a handful of times (rarely watch live), not every freaking commercial break.

And hopefully to make up for an insufficiency on my part of annoyance or irritation for the above commercial - is anyone else seeing the Hardee's "save the veggies" commercials?  Arrrrghh!  Maybe I want a little lettuce or tomato on my meat! And I really don't understand how not harvesting vegetables is better than raising a bunch of cows to supply my meat needs...  (And I know Hardee's is sort of regional - does Carl's Jr. have the same commercials?)

• Love 5
(edited)

Jennifer Garner on those Capital One commercials or any commercial. She talks in this little girl, cutesy voice. Hate it. It's like she is trying to be all coy and adorable. She just bugs me, in general. 

Edited by Pickles
Spelling
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

(And I know Hardee's is sort of regional - does Carl's Jr. have the same commercials?)

I haven't seen it yet, but we got the whole parade of sexist eat our burger and a bikini-clad young woman will salivate over you as she does the food the franchise put out, so we've probably been subjected to this latest nonsense and I just haven't seen it/noticed.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Jennifer Garner on those Capital One commercials or any commercial. She talks in this little girl, cutesy voice. Hate it. It's like she is trying to be all coy and adorable. She just bugs me, in general. 

Yes. I agree. She is like Jennifer Tilly but much easier on the eyes.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Funnily enough, I find the idea of this being her dream way to play with her kid more off-putting than her actually playing with her kid like this.  I only find the commercial mildly annoying.

Back to Peleton for a second, haven't you guys ever taken an exercise, aerobics, or spinning class?  The instructor, almost always mic'd (I don't know how one would even spell that!) and always calling out encouragement and instructions through the entire class. Maybe the Peleton instructors are worse, but I don't find it strange at all to have an instructor doing this during a workout.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Busy Phillips and the Oil of Olay (I think?) ad. She has so many moles. That is all I see.

All I see are horse teeth.

I also agree about Jennifer Garner.  I've never liked her in anything and for some reason she just annoys the hell out of me every time I see her face.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

No, I have never taken a spinning class or an aerobics class. I'm pushing 70, that's enough exercise for me. But back in the 80s before my thyroid went haywire, I took dance exercise classes, in those days of yore, no, instructors didn't wear mic's (you're right, it's hard to know how to do that word.) They just yelled out a few changes, but mostly we learned the routine slowly and pieces at a time without the music. But that class was how I learned that something wasn't right in my body, it wouldn't do what my brain told it, so I was going to go to the doctor when my thyroid pushed even harder and I ended up in the hospital for 3 days. Eating 3 lbs of Tootsie Roll Midgies in 3 days, and a bowl of cereal every night because you wake up at 3 AM hungry is not normal. And I was losing weight. All bad signs. Listen when your body says something is wrong whether it's on a Peloton or not. (just to bring it back to an ad.)

And I've noticed Nordic Trak is getting in on the instructor yelling at you in their ad too.

• Love 6
On 7/18/2019 at 3:47 AM, GaT said:

This woman's vocal fry assures that I will never buy this product,

Of course, I had to listen to what a 'vocal fry' is and OMG, thank you!  I absolutely HATE when girls (usually 20-somethings) use that annoying 'trailing off' cadence in their voice.

And right after I did, 'Mean Girls' was on and when they got to the part after the Jingle Bell Rock dance when they were backstage and Gretchen said to Cady, "you love him...and he totally complimented you...that is SO fetch" I was like - THATS IT!  Gretchen had serious vocal fry in that scene

19 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Busy Phillips' vocal fry bothers me, but now noticing how many moles she has bothers me. I know it's bad to think that, but I can't really watch that commercial any more

Thank you - I thought I was the only one who thought that without feeling mean or shallow.  She may be lovely, but some people are just not meant for close ups (sorry/notsorry)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Busy Phillips and the Oil of Olay (I think?) ad. She has so many moles. That is all I see.

Y'know, they dropped "Oil of" a few years ago. It's just Olay now.  I guess we'll never know what an Olay is that they got the oil from.

On another note: I know many of us here can't stand the Consumer Cellular ads, but I have them as my cell provider and, since I have a "dumb phone" and want no parts of a Smart one, it works well for me. They just emailed me with an offer - for an additional $3/mo, they'll sign me up for Roadside Assistance with "Signature Auto Club" - So I went to Signature's website and it turns out it's run by Allstate, just like the roadside assistance I was getting from AARP - MUCH cheaper. The AARP motor club was costing me $59/yr. With this other club, it's on $36, so I'm happy. It doesn't give you trip routing service, but the AARP Motor club won't send you paper maps anymore, either - they'll email the route to you, which doesn't work for me. How the hell are you supposed to follow an emailed map when you're driving? Asshats.  Anyway, the Consumer Cellular offer is what I need - lockout service, towing, jump starts & fetch gas for you. What else do you need?

friendperidot - Pushing 70.  LOL.  I'll have to change it to 71, since 70 pushed me back. I can add that to the list of exercises I do: Running my mouth, rolling my eyes, jumping to conclusions and diddly-squats.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4