Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

"I don't know why I didn't get screened a long time ago..." 

worst five seconds of a commercial intro.

fuck off, Life Line Screening. Get a better commercial. Screening is important but don't start off with a fake dead person. Please.

• Love 6
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, funky-rat said:

I get that it was someone's answer to the "man cave", but there's just something so demeaning sounding about "She Shed".  I can't explain it - it just bugs.

It's better than "She Cave".

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Wouldn't it be "woman cave?"

Probably. Somebody floated "girl grotto" for a while, but it appears that "grotto" has an unfortunate slang meaning. I suppose you could have a "shawty chalet". or "shawty shanty" depending on whether it's decked out or something modest (substitute "shorty" if you prefer).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Wouldn't it be "woman cave?"

She shed sounds a little more feminine while man CAVE is very masculine.  I actually like this commercial, the look on that poor husband's face holding the garden hose is too funny.  FYI my mom has a she shed (a special storage space for her gardening stuff) and that's what she calls it as well. 

• Love 8

I hate the whole Man Cave thing. A Man Cave/She Shed sounds like a room in which the other spouse/SO is not permitted to enter. I would never have that in my home. Rec room, game room, stuff like that? Fine. But a "This is my room that's off limits to everyone but me"? Ha, not a chance.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

She shed sounds a little more feminine while man CAVE is very masculine.  I actually like this commercial, the look on that poor husband's face holding the garden hose is too funny.  FYI my mom has a she shed (a special storage space for her gardening stuff) and that's what she calls it as well. 

I actually like it, too.  I think he did burn it down.  It was not lightning.  And I think he sabotaged the hose, so there wouldn't  be any help until the fire department came.  and he probably took his time dialing.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 6/28/2019 at 10:12 PM, Colleenna said:

Last time I bought a new car (2 years ago), I called my agent from the car dealership, read her the VIN, told her which car I had traded in, and that was that. Five minutes --- or less. I've had the same State Farm agent for 34 years. 

My car dealer has a guy* who calls the insurance co for you. He emailed them the information and all I had to do was get on the phone for 30 seconds to verify that yes, I was me and yes, I was getting a new car. Then they emailed back a temporary proof of insurance letter and he printed it for me. Since I had already paid off my premium for the year they sent me a prorated bill for the additional cost (which was about 25 bucks) along with my new insurance card within a week. (I have New Jersey Manufacturers, which as far as I know has no TV ads, annoying or otherwise. Maybe that's why I like them so much...)

*(They also sell insurance to people who don't already have it; they work with AllState and a couple cars ago we were chatting while waiting for someone in sales to bring some paperwork and he asked who my insurance co was. He flat out told me they wouldn't be able to do better than what I have. Which makes me feel better when I toss their junk mail in the recycling bin.)

20 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I actually like it, too.  I think he did burn it down.  It was not lightning.  And I think he sabotaged the hose, so there wouldn't  be any help until the fire department came.  and he probably took his time dialing.

Why? Isn't it a stereotype that men can't wait to get away from their yammering wives? I would think he'd be the last one to want to get rid of his Distaff Dungeon.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Why? Isn't it a stereotype that men can't wait to get away from their yammering wives? I would think he'd be the last one to want to get rid of his Distaff Dungeon.

Maybe she was spending too much time in there and not enough time cooking and cleaning.  JK.  I don't know his motive, but he doesn't look too happy about her getting a new one, so I'm sticking with my unimportant suspiciton.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

So the mom in the Alexa commercial with the the daughter practicing soccer at 4:40 am gets woken up by the sound of the girl kicking the ball around in the backyard. Instead of thinking “hey maybe she’s also waking up the neighbors because if I can hear it they probably can too” she proceeds to turn on the backyard lights and give the daughter a nod to continue. Maybe it’s from guilt bc she missed her daughters game because she was instead sitting on the couch listening to an audio book.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

So the mom in the Alexa commercial with the the daughter practicing soccer at 4:40 am gets woken up by the sound of the girl kicking the ball around in the backyard. Instead of thinking “hey maybe she’s also waking up the neighbors because if I can hear it they probably can too” she proceeds to turn on the backyard lights and give the daughter a nod to continue. Maybe it’s from guilt bc she missed her daughters game because she was instead sitting on the couch listening to an audio book.  

Exactly!  So, now it is perfectly okay to be callously indifferent to your neighbors?

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

I would be seriously pissed if they were my neighbors --- sufficiently annoyed to call the police and lodge a noise complaint. 

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Exactly!  So, now it is perfectly okay to be callously indifferent to your neighbors?

Judging by the car stereos in my complex...yes.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe she was spending too much time in there and not enough time cooking and cleaning.  JK.  I don't know his motive, but he doesn't look too happy about her getting a new one, so I'm sticking with my unimportant suspiciton.

Enh details details, just the simple sight of him standing in his bathrobe with a garden hose and his wife all excited cause she's getting a NEW she shed is funny enough.  I don't bother my brain with anything heavy if it's just a State Farm commercial.

• Love 8

I don't mean to double post, but this is an entirely different topic of annoyance. So, there it is.

I watch a lot of channels of reruns of old shows and reality crime, I've discovered I like Escape better than ID Discovery. I don't know why, but the last week or so, an ad for a program on Bounce is getting heavy rotation on the old people channels. Saints and Sinners, or Sinners and Saints, I don't really know, it looks a lot like an updated nighttime soap and I quit soaps many years ago. But the theme song with the commercial is annoying the heck out of me. It's probably somebody famous, but what do I know? I listen to the Everly Brothers and Doo W**. Anyway, the song is heavy with vibrato and it goes with the vibrato about 6 stanzas too many. I probably wouldn't pay attention except that the song annoys the stuffing out of me.

And I debated whether this belonged on commercials that annoy or on previews. I still don't really know.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I'll give a generic one: any retirement or investment service commercial where I'm supposed to believe the people reaping the benefits have some intimate relationship with the person administrating their account. Like they invite their retirement counselor to their kid's wedding. Get. The. Fuck. Out of here. AI and spreadsheets do most of the work, assholes, that dude is just collecting his commission. THe guy calling his customer out of nowhere and saying "I think I figured out how to get you into that home made airplane business you told me about so many years ago!" as if he were eating dinner with his family thinking about some client. Go fuck yourself. 

lol, yes! There's a company called Assante that advertises a ton during hockey games. They hard sell the whole idea that their agents take a personal interest in their clients.  It's such utter bs...

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

She must have been hiding the yogurt in her she shed.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 1:23 PM, margol29 said:

Also, why would anyone want a thinner Reese's cup? That makes no sense.

Because they are pure deliciousness if you prefer a more even chocolate to peanut butter ratio. And bigger than the minis so I can stop at 1 or 2 and perfect out of the freezer. My new obsession. 

• Love 6

I've been watching "Route 66" on the channel ZLiving and they play that ad with the ex-judge-turned-zebra-farmer touting colostomy bags at least twice an hour.  I forgot how much I hate that ad! Plus the channel ups the volume for the ads so you have to be quick to hit the mute.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I've been watching "Route 66" on the channel ZLiving and they play that ad with the ex-judge-turned-zebra-farmer touting colostomy bags at least twice an hour.  I forgot how much I hate that ad! Plus the channel ups the volume for the ads so you have to be quick to hit the mute.

As annoying as that is, I'd pay a much higher price to get to watch Route 66.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, OpalNightstream said:

Oh, that commercial annoys me too b/c she's enabling her daughter instead of telling her to get her arse into the house and talk about it.

• Love 6
(edited)

The Allstate commercial with some guy sitting in an armchair in the middle of a four-way intersection.  All I can think is that if you're stupid enough to do something like that, I hope your insurance won't cover the inevitable hospital/funeral costs. 

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 7/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, configdotsys said:

I hate the whole Man Cave thing. A Man Cave/She Shed sounds like a room in which the other spouse/SO is not permitted to enter. I would never have that in my home. Rec room, game room, stuff like that? Fine. But a "This is my room that's off limits to everyone but me"? Ha, not a chance.

I think "Man cave" started because women typically do the decorating, and it is supposed to give the man a place where he can put up his 70" TV, have the guys over to watch the game, drink beer, burp and scratch. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I think "Man cave" started because women typically do the decorating, and it is supposed to give the man a place where he can put up his 70" TV, have the guys over to watch the game, drink beer, burp and scratch. 

You left out "fart."  😉

• LOL 10
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, configdotsys said:

I always argue that the woman has the laundry room, so why shouldn't the man have a room. (I'd be willing to be permanently banned from the laundry room.)  However, that argument doesn't go over very well. :)

• LOL 5
2 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I always argue that the woman has the laundry room, so why shouldn't the man have a room. (I'd be willing to be permanently banned from the laundry room.)  However, that argument doesn't go over very well. 🙂

I only go in to the laundry room to clean the litter box. My husband does all the laundry, including when we are crossing the pond on the Queen Mary 2.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I only go in to the laundry room to clean the litter box. My husband does all the laundry, including when we are crossing the pond on the Queen Mary 2.

We have a tool shed out back and a garage. He likes hanging out there.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I always argue that the woman has the laundry room, so why shouldn't the man have a room. (I'd be willing to be permanently banned from the laundry room.)  However, that argument doesn't go over very well. 🙂

And why does the woman have the laundry room?

One feature of more recent commercials that I appreciate, is showing people of both sexes doing the laundry.  As a chore it's not too bad, but it is a chore.

• Love 10

any "dot com" ads in which the spokesperson over-hears someone's conversation in a public place and then leans over with their phone to show the stranger the wonderful solution to whatever their issue was.  Trivago guy does it now.  Car Guru.  Those credit score apps which seem to suddenly be a huge industry for some reason.  My response to some stranger leaning in to offer advice in response to conversation I'm having with a friend would be "MYOFB!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I noticed some new (to me) commercials for shredded cheese which all begin with a brat refusing to eat what they're served, followed by them serving it with cheese or something entirely different to the 9-11 memorial song. Quit giving in to your persnickety brats!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

any "dot com" ads in which the spokesperson over-hears someone's conversation in a public place and then leans over with their phone to show the stranger the wonderful solution to whatever their issue was.  Trivago guy does it now.  Car Guru.  Those credit score apps which seem to suddenly be a huge industry for some reason.  My response to some stranger leaning in to offer advice in response to conversation I'm having with a friend would be "MYOFB!"

I think it's called "shoulder surfing" and it's one way to get someone's login credentials.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

I think it's called "shoulder surfing"

It's also called "eavesdropping", or less charitably, "not minding one's own beeswax." 

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 3:37 PM, Dirtybubble said:

Enh details details, just the simple sight of him standing in his bathrobe with a garden hose and his wife all excited cause she's getting a NEW she shed is funny enough.  I don't bother my brain with anything heavy if it's just a State Farm commercial.

Just saw this again. 

Totally missed opportunity for the last line to be funnier/better
when Sheryl tells hubby: "Did you hear that? I'm getting a chichi-er She Shed?"
and he replies: "Chichi-er?"
--which, IMO, would be so much funnier/better if hubby had replied: "Sheesh."

Maybe they considered it but nixed it because "Sheesh" is a substitute for "Jesus" used by those not wanting to offend those who hear it as "taking the Lord's name in vain" but who also want to demonstrate through the expression that they do not hold any allegiance to that doctrine (and/or those not being aware of the meaning/origin of the term)?

ETA re:

On 7/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, meep.meep said:

And why does the woman have the laundry room?

One feature of more recent commercials that I appreciate, is showing people of both sexes doing the laundry.  As a chore it's not too bad, but it is a chore.

My mother and I have both always found laundry to be a combination of a calling, an obsession, and a form of therapy.
My father--who did all the cooking and dishes for the last 35 years of their 68 years of marriage--used to joke that my mother must have been a laundress in her former life.
My brother-in-law, who is Welsh, says that in his country, where people are given middle names based on aspects of their lives and personalities, my middle name would be Laundry.

I'd like a laundry room and an art studio, but the in-unit laundry is essential.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Ironically, my laundry is in the garage - the stereotypical haunt of the manly man.  

Ugh, yes, back when my laundry was in the garage, there was a rattlesnake in the summer and frozen pipes in the winter; I filled both mom and dad roles. So. Not. A She-Shed.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I noticed some new (to me) commercials for shredded cheese which all begin with a brat refusing to eat what they're served, followed by them serving it with cheese or something entirely different to the 9-11 memorial song. Quit giving in to your persnickety brats!

In the same vein, the Red Baron commercial with two moms attempting to one-up each other, one wearing a patch-covered bomber jacket and pointing to each patch. The other mom is all proud of the fact that her entire family is eating dinner with zero complaints and earns her “Nailed It” wings from the bomber jacket mom. Yeah, well, you fed your family frozen pizza from the grocery store. Very few kids (and kid-like husbands) are going to complain about getting pizza for dinner. I’d settle down with the self-fellating praise there, chief.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Ironically, my laundry is in the garage - the stereotypical haunt of the manly man.  

My husband and I are going to start looking at houses soon, and we've already established that the washer and dryer being in the garage is a dealbreaker.

• Love 5
On 7/5/2019 at 7:25 PM, chessiegal said:

OMG I LOVE DQ Blizzards. Every time I see that commercial I want to run and get one. 

I have a DQ across the street from my condo complex. Somehow I manage to pretend it's not there, until my parents (who live about 10 minutes away) randomly call and say they're going. Then I walk over to meet them and they buy me ice cream.

2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Mine's in my bathroom. I can soak my delicates while I, uh, soak my delicates, if I so choose.

• LOL 17
  • Love 2

I used to hate those Trivago commercials because the guy looked to me like someone who'd just rolled out of a gutter after a three-day drugs & booze bender. But today I saw a new ad where the Trivago guy looks noticeably bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Maybe getting arrested a few months ago for DWI forced the actor to clean up his act. (And hopefully get help for what may have been a drinking and/or substance abuse problem.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Automne said:

In the same vein, the Red Baron commercial with two moms attempting to one-up each other, one wearing a patch-covered bomber jacket and pointing to each patch. The other mom is all proud of the fact that her entire family is eating dinner with zero complaints and earns her “Nailed It” wings from the bomber jacket mom. Yeah, well, you fed your family frozen pizza from the grocery store. Very few kids (and kid-like husbands) are going to complain about getting pizza for dinner. I’d settle down with the self-fellating praise there, chief.

Was the woman in the bomber jacket sppsd to be another mother? I thought she was the eponymous Red Barron. 

• Love 1