Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Ok..spent a lot of time with my teen and preteen nieces and they watch a lot of freeform tv.  Totally disgusted by the constant barrage of feminine commercials. They show the tacky Schick turbo razor where the 3 women in bikinis are trimming small little "bushes" in front of them. 2 of the girls just hack at it and the 1 with the Schick shaves hers into a perfect heart . They show this commercial during almost every break.

Then they have the summers eve, and another for a tissue talking about waxing and getting "clean down there". 

It just seems to reinforce that women's genials are unclean and you must shave  wax and douche constantly....like men's are a bed of f#$* roses  Maybe I am being too sensitive.

I loathe the "trim your bush" commercial. LOATHE it! I've not seen the others but know I would hate them too because I hate being told I'm supposed to treat my nether region like it's some horror show that needs to be tamed before anyone would dare go near it. 

• Love 21

I agree that the State Farm "Don't Mess with my Discount" lady is too OTT, but I actually get her.  I have the "Safe Driver" device and app, which tracks my driving.  I can check the app after each time I drive and see what score I got.  The better the score, the better the discount.  If I brake or accelerate too hard, speed or use my phone while driving, down goes the discount.  The app also shows a map and where the violation(s) took place for each trip as well.   Now my partner and I have an unofficial contest going to see who gets better scores.  I've never drove this well since i first got my license.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I agree that the State Farm "Don't Mess with my Discount" lady is too OTT, but I actually get her.  I have the "Safe Driver" device and app, which tracks my driving.  I can check the app after each time I drive and see what score I got.  The better the score, the better the discount.  If I brake or accelerate too hard, speed or use my phone while driving, down goes the discount.  The app also shows a map and where the violation(s) took place for each trip as well.   Now my partner and I have an unofficial contest going to see who gets better scores.  I've never drove this well since i first got my license.

Wait, how does it know you were texting while driving? 

14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I loathe the "trim your bush" commercial. LOATHE it! I've not seen the others but know I would hate them too because I hate being told I'm supposed to treat my nether region like it's some horror show that needs to be tamed before anyone would dare go near it. 

Even calling it your 'nether region' is scary, it makes it sound like a haunted forest like the one from Princess Bride or Harry Potter. 🙂 Honestly I don't know why they don't market something like this for us dudes, I'm pretty sure there are not a legion of women who are like "You know what looks great on the aesthetically vexing dick / balls combo? A nice thick patch of curly wiry hair. Let me get on some of that! MMMMM! Throw some greys in it, and STAND THE FUCK BACK!" 

My point is that's not just a woman's issue -:).  

• LOL 18
  • Love 1

It's an older one now but all this talk of truck commercials reminded me of that comical one where the "real people" are terrified of the alligators outside the truck. Firstly, the gators are placidly hanging around like house cats, clearly more enthusiastic about taking a nap than eating anyone. And secondly, it's one of those big trucks so that the window sills are 5 feet off the ground, so unless these gators have been bitten by radioactive spiders, there is no way in hell they're clinging up the vertical sides of the truck to get into the cab. And even that's assuming that the people wouldn't just roll up the windows when they saw the gators coming. But the people all react as if they're about to get carjacked, with the now-satiated gators motoring to a rip-roaring getaway. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's been many years, but I suspect alcohol and the hot guy I was dancing with have much to do with my soft spot for "I want to dance with somebody".

That would redeem a lot of songs which are much worse than that one.

• Love 7
(edited)

Oh, and another one. 

There's one of those law firm commercials where they can barely contain their enthusiasm for profiting from your misfortune by jumping on your bad medical outcome. I hate those things. But one of the unwanted side effects of the treatment going wrong is apparently the possibility of "gangrene of the genitals." As much as I despise these exploitive lawyers, if I get gangrene of the genitals for ANY reason, you can be god damned sure that SOMEBODY IS GETTING SUED OVER IT. 

Edited by Ghost of TWOP Past
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
(edited)

Seriously, look at those two vapid twats flanking Beardo Douchehammer. I FUCKING HATE YOU CHEVY. The one on your left, what fucking direction is she responding to? What face was she told to make? 

chevrolet-family-reunions-t1-large-3.jpg

Edited by Uncle JUICE
Because I hate these people.
  • LOL 17
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Seriously, look at those two vapid twats flanking Beardo Douchehammer. I FUCKING HATE YOU CHEVY. The one on your left, what fucking direction is she responding to? What face was she told to make? 

Post Of The DAY!

smiley_ROFLMAO.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I just saw an ad for international soccer on  the Telemundo network saying, "The world's best are now competing at the Copa America."  I think the rest of the world would disagree.

They then made it worse by saying, "It's better in Spanish."

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I just saw an ad for international soccer on  the Telemundo network saying, "The world's best are now competing at the Copa America."  I think the rest of the world would disagree.

Best what? How can you disagree if you don't know what they're actually claiming?

On 6/15/2019 at 12:35 AM, Amethyst said:

The State Farm "Don't mess with my discount!" ad is terrible.  It just makes the woman look like a lunatic over a measly discount.  

I don't know why Progressive sticks with the annoying Flo and Jamie when the "turning into your parents" ads are so much funnier and more creative.  

Oh yes. I hate that commercial with a passion!

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Poohbear617 said:

Ok..spent a lot of time with my teen and preteen nieces and they watch a lot of freeform tv.  Totally disgusted by the constant barrage of feminine commercials. They show the tacky Schick turbo razor where the 3 women in bikinis are trimming small little "bushes" in front of them. 2 of the girls just hack at it and the 1 with the Schick shaves hers into a perfect heart . They show this commercial during almost every break.

I hate that commercial too! I think what annoys me most about it is the "Get it? We're REALLY talking about women shaving their public hair! Ain't we SO very clever?" vibe I get from it.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, auntlada said:

I have seen these commercials. I don't understand what they are advertising.

Is it related in any way to the Copa Havana, the hottest spot in all of Havana?

19 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

It's an older one now but all this talk of truck commercials reminded me of that comical one where the "real people" are terrified of the alligators outside the truck. Firstly, the gators are placidly hanging around like house cats, clearly more enthusiastic about taking a nap than eating anyone. And secondly, it's one of those big trucks so that the window sills are 5 feet off the ground, so unless these gators have been bitten by radioactive spiders, there is no way in hell they're clinging up the vertical sides of the truck to get into the cab. And even that's assuming that the people wouldn't just roll up the windows when they saw the gators coming. But the people all react as if they're about to get carjacked, with the now-satiated gators motoring to a rip-roaring getaway. 

That reminds me of the older one in which the "real people" are made to choose between a cage made of aluminum or steel before they release a grizzly bear into the room.

18 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

BWAH! I mistook her for Vicki Gunderson from RHoOC at first!

• Love 5

gotta agree with the general sentiment about "I Wanna Dance With Somebody." I hate that sort of top volume yell-singing.  I also can't stand the high-pitched little twist she puts on the word "heat" in the chorus.  For some reason it really bugs me, lol! 

• Love 3

Hate to beat a dead horse about the Pelaton commercials, but does every Pelaton owner have no other place in their home to put their machine except in front of a curtainless window?

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
55 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I hate that commercial too! I think what annoys me most about it is the "Get it? We're REALLY talking about women shaving their public hair! Ain't we SO very clever?" vibe I get from it.

OMG yes. I can just picture the group of frat boy esque, jr ad execs high fiving each other when they came up with it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

Hate to beat a dead horse about the Pelaton commercials, but does every Pelaton owner have no other place in their home to put their machine except in front of a curtainless window?

Not just a curtainless window but in a room with a breathtaking view of the city lights, mountains, whatever. My friend has a Peloton bike her in apartment and if she took the curtains off her windows, she could bike while staring at a Chinese restaurant. I guess she'll never make it into a commercial. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Not just a curtainless window but in a room with a breathtaking view of the city lights, mountains, whatever. My friend has a Peloton bike her in apartment and if she took the curtains off her windows, she could bike while staring at a Chinese restaurant. I guess she'll never make it into a commercial. 

I think that, rather than having a great view while Pelotoning, she wants people OUTSIDE to see her, how dedicated and toned and sweaty she is!  Just to be clear, I'm referring to the women IN the ad, NOT your friend!

Edited by Brattinella
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I think that, rather than having a great view while Pelotoning, she wants people OUTSIDE to see her, how dedicated and toned and sweaty she is!  Just to be clear, I'm referring to the women IN the ad, NOT your friend!

I thought it was more like she's pretending to ride in the mountains instead of being on a boring stationary bike in her living room.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I thought it was more like she's pretending to ride in the mountains instead of being on a boring stationary bike in her living room.  

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just have a tv in the room and watch that. Those machines are very expensive.

• Love 6

The guy patting himself on the back for inventing the "untucked" shirt.  Congratulations..you have invented a blouse.

And the "trimming the bush" commercials; I find them truly offensive; especially with the "la la la" in the background.  At my age, I can't even see my pubic hair when I look down; the tummy blocks it.   

• LOL 9
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, ctlady said:

My favorite part of the Pelaton commercials is the big, gleaming drop of sweat that forms on the user’s nose and slides off, landing with a dramatic splash on the machine. Nasal perspiration is so appealing.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Doesn't the bike have any videos of something other than a sweaty person yelling at you?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, cinsays said:

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to just have a tv in the room and watch that. Those machines are very expensive.

Those machines are so expensive because of the advertising.  The commercials are on at all hours of every day on every channel.  They're even on the retro TV channels which are the stomping grounds of incontinence, prescription drug and life insurance ads.  I mean who looks at a channel the caters to people that find a trip to the Piggly Wiggly a challenge and says "hey, let's buy ad time there". 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, Brattinella said:

She's just pelotoning her way to the reality of the latest exercise fad  only lasting about two months, if that.  Her neighbour will be laughing all the way through the curtains.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, Uncle JUICE said:

"Give me your best Tori Spelling"?

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Brookside said:

She's just pelotoning her way to the reality of the latest exercise fad  only lasting about two months, if that.  Her neighbour will be laughing all the way through the curtains.

I was bombarded by Qubii ads yesterday and I got to thinking about this... if any of these exercise gizmos were any good, wouldn't they STILL be around, being advertised? Whatever happened to Suzanne Somers and her Thighmaster?  Or that little platform you stood on (if you didn't have balance issues) and twisted away your belly fat? Where did they go? Is there anyone in the USA (cause we're the only ones stupid enough to fall for this crap) that still uses a Thighmaster?

Oh, and ubiquitous, it's "Copa Cabana, the hottest spot north of Havana."  I'll blame auto-correct for you.

• Love 7

When you come down to it, the Peloton is simply...an exercise bike.  An extremely expensive one with a shit-ton  of bells and whistles, but still an exercise bike.

(I had an exercise bike in high school, and I thought mine was deluxe because it had a speedometer/odometer.  I put over 1300 miles on it and never moved an inch.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)

lol...The ad with the good-natured chubby little A&W dude sitting at a table in an A&W interviewing the Beyond Meat guy.  "So...what is beyond meat?"  The feigned focus and interest is too much!  The way he casually rests the tips of his fingers on the edge of his coffee cup while he nods his head with comfortable fascination as the beyond meat guy opines on his non-meat philosophy.  A&W is sort of the champ when it comes to "soft sanctimony" in advertising.  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

When you come down to it, the Peloton is simply...an exercise bike.  An extremely expensive one with a shit-ton  of bells and whistles, but still an exercise bike.

(I had an exercise bike in high school, and I thought mine was deluxe because it had a speedometer/odometer.  I put over 1300 miles on it and never moved an inch.)

I have an exercise bike that has a desk so I put my iPad Pro (the one with the largest screen they have) and use and app called BitGym. It's a yearly subscription but there are tons of cities and towns in there and you feel like you are walking/running/biking through all these different places in the world complete with ambient sounds and tourists that step out of the way. The Pike Street Market is a fun one as is the Panama Canal (they were given special access and it's awesome). The camera picks up your movement so the pace on the screen is the pace at which you are moving. It works on treadmills and other equipment as well. There's a trip through LA during which you are on the Walk of Fame and walk/run past a huge sign that says: Nude Girls! Girls! Girls.

Great app that I pay for and use regularly. Not an investor or anything. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I have an exercise bike that has a desk so I put my iPad Pro (the one with the largest screen they have) and use and app called BitGym. It's a yearly subscription but there are tons of cities and towns in there and you feel like you are walking/running/biking through all these different places in the world complete with ambient sounds and tourists that step out of the way. The Pike Street Market is a fun one as is the Panama Canal (they were given special access and it's awesome). The camera picks up your movement so the pace on the screen is the pace at which you are moving. It works on treadmills and other equipment as well. There's a trip through LA during which you are on the Walk of Fame and walk/run past a huge sign that says: Nude Girls! Girls! Girls.

Great app that I pay for and use regularly. Not an investor or anything. 

That sound really cool. I think I might even be persuaded to work out if I had something like that. And they don't even yell at you? Amazing!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was bombarded by Qubii ads yesterday and I got to thinking about this... if any of these exercise gizmos were any good, wouldn't they STILL be around, being advertised? Whatever happened to Suzanne Somers and her Thighmaster?  Or that little platform you stood on (if you didn't have balance issues) and twisted away your belly fat? Where did they go? Is there anyone in the USA (cause we're the only ones stupid enough to fall for this crap) that still uses a Thighmaster?

Where did they go?  Have you never asked yourself why Americans park in their driveways?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, auntlada said:

I have seen these commercials. I don't understand what they are advertising.

It's for some sort of skin care snake oil, err, product, which makes it even more annoying to me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

Where did they go?  Have you never asked yourself why Americans park in their driveways?

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And we drive on our parkways!  🙂

I park in the garage!  :D

• Love 4
(edited)
On 2/11/2018 at 2:48 PM, ari333 said:

Heh I am still trying to catch up. I've seen the Haribo one with , "They're so squishy!" and "They go in my MOUFF"

GD Haribo!  Anyone else think the beginning line sounds like they're saying "let's Taco Bell Haribo Gold bears!"  (I think she's actually saying "let's talk about Haribo Gold bears", but who tf knows with that stupid crap.)

Edited by littlebennysmom
Typo
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 6/23/2019 at 1:22 AM, Jamoche said:

"Give me your best Tori Spelling"?

Good one! How about:

"Miss, can you look like one of those people who relishes in abusing service industry workers? Like pretend you're just about to meet your best friend and you can't wait to tell her about some waitress you abused because she forgot the extra pecans on your salad, and how cool it was when you called her supervisor over and upbraided a teenager serving you lunch she didn't make? Aaaaand..action!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Another one, surprisingly a car commercial, this one by Infinity. There's a bunch of folks in a meeting room, on a conference call, including broke ass JEff Goldblum, when one of the participants gets a call on her personal cell. She hangs up, clearly crazy distressed. What happened, you wonder? Did her mom die? Her husband? Did the test results come back positive?

"Alex left her cello in my car."

How fucking pretentious is this? The boss, apparently, broke ass Goldblum, is like "[unmute] We're getting kicked out of the room, we'll have to call you back!" What a hero! Except rightfully, the rest of the people in the meeting side eye the shit out of this. Nevertheless, apparently he drags them all down to her car, they get on her bluetooth in the car, drive the cello to her child, and all is well! I just like imagining the text discussion between the other two people who had to get in her car to take her daughter the cello. 

A: "LOL because of course Rebecca's daughter has to play cello, she totally wanted us all to know her kid plays cello."

B: "Yeah I can totally see how you can forget a cello, I mean it's not like the size of the entire trunk of the car or anything. I hope she's good at celloing or whatever, because that kid sucks at seeing things that are bigger than a bicycle."

A: "So Rebecca and Broke Ass GOldblum are most definitely fucking, right?"

B: "ALL. DAY. LONG.'

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Another one, surprisingly a car commercial, this one by Infinity. There's a bunch of folks in a meeting room, on a conference call, including broke ass JeEff Goldblum

Are they still playing commercials for that apartment rental site with Jeff Goldblum? I've been hearing the audio version of several new ones lately...

Xfinity - the one with the obnoxious, know-it-all kid banging on and on about football (soccer).

His delivery is so flat, too. He's like a robot child. That I want to slap so hard.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Gah, that Samsung S10 commercial with the song lyrics, "How you like dah?  How you like dah?  How you like dah?  What chyou think of me now?" over and over.  Screw you, Samsung!

It's "How Ya Like That" by Olly Anna. Despite singing rap like she's from Jamaica, she's a white blonde girl from Maine.

• LOL 6

Enough with the car ads that show "real people" saying good things about a product. Why should I care if these strangers like it? Assuming they actually do, since we're clearly not hearing everything they said. One ad ends with somebody saying that the designer deserves a cookie and a star; was that a nice way for her to say it looked like it was designed by a child?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4