Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I wasn't aware that they changed the actors playing the "Slingers".

I just want to slap this woman, or stand in line for it.

flight trw GIF

You know, it was lame and I didn't like it, but I didn't really care about it, until the commercial with them trying to lampshade it as a portmando(?) of Liberty Mutual as a way to make you remember their name made me hate them.

Portmanteau. But I knew what you meant. :-)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm still being subjected to the  horribleness that is the princess and pirates mom. I can't describe why I hate her so much. Is it the affluenza? 

The Sacramento Rivercats Minor League baseball team are pushing a Princess and Pirate promotion night.  Not clear what that entails.

21 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The Sacramento Rivercats Minor League baseball team are pushing a Princess and Pirate promotion night.  Not clear what that entails.

If it's anything like the Sea Fair Pirates here in Seattle, count on being groped and forcibly kissed. Yuk.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, HighMaintenance said:

My local station keeps playing a commercial for Stanley Steemer that irritates (and kind of disgusts) me.  A little boy is urinating into a toilet (with full sound effects). His mom calls from somewhere in the house saying "let's go!".  The kid turns sideways -"ok Mom!", apparently missing the toilet.  The wide shot shows him finishing up, a noticeable puddle of urine on the floor, that he then runs through, into the adjoining carpeted bedroom.

Then the voice over... "That's Disgusting!".  Call Stanley Steemer to clean up your messes, yada yada.

Ok.  Yes, this setup is pretty disgusting, but... Stanley Steemer?  To clean up urine on the floor?  Are they disinfecting the floor?  Why can't someone in the family clean the floor? It's pee, not toxic waste.

Really! Just saw this one for the 99th time. If you're going to call Stanley Steemer every time there's a little pee on the floor, you'd better never have kids! Or pets!  Unless you have a brother in law with a Stanley Steemer franchise, I guess.

• LOL 15
On 5/30/2019 at 11:52 AM, littlebennysmom said:

Lawd, that Zoe Kravitz whispering commercial for crappy beer makes me stabby as hell.  ASMR?  Does that stand for "Annoying Shit Michelob Regurgitates"?  

Wow I legitimately thought that was Lisa Bonet in that commercial! The genetics are strong in that family, eh? 

And yes that commercial is annoying AF. 

On 6/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, chessiegal said:

I met someone recently who found their current husband on Match.com 11 years ago when she was in her 50s. She said it was an instant "this is the one" when they met for coffee. So there you go.

Oh half of my friends met their husbands on either match.com or other dating sites back in the early-mid 2000s. It’s not that they don’t “work.” It’s just that they need less lame and cringe-y commercials. 

• Love 6
On 6/4/2019 at 2:40 PM, Katy M said:

I only figured out a couple of days ago that Limu stands for Liberty Mutual.  I just thought they made up a stupid name that rhymed with emu.

It had been airing for a few weeks before my girlfriend explained it to me.  What a maroon!

• Love 4
On 6/3/2019 at 9:35 AM, kariyaki said:

They're better than the original Slingers couple. They were super creepy.

Is that the one where the guy with the curly hair had his shirt unbuttoned by the end of the commercial? Gross.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, peacheslatour said:

I'm still being subjected to the  horribleness that is the princess and pirates mom

The only thing I think about that ad is that its a fantasy of some people's idea of a perfect Mom-a Mom who will put aside everything to spend the day playing with her kid.  I doubt there are many real Moms who would actually do it. (And frankly, as a kid, I never wanted adults involved in anything I was doing for fun because they basically wrung all the enjoyment out of an activity.  ...And usually things would end up with a lot of yelling and threats of "the strap." If I had asked my Mom to do anything like the ad she would have told me to "go play in the street.")

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The only thing I think about that ad is that its a fantasy of some people's idea of a perfect Mom-a Mom who will put aside everything to spend the day playing with her kid.  I doubt there are many real Moms who would actually do it. (And frankly, as a kid, I never wanted adults involved in anything I was doing for fun because they basically wrung all the enjoyment out of an activity.  ...And usually things would end up with a lot of yelling and threats of "the strap." If I had asked my Mom to do anything like the ad she would have told me to "go play in the street.")

When I was little, my mom wouldn't play with me all day, but she always took some time out to play, whether it was Candy Land, or house, or to play with dolls for a little while.  She certainly wouldn't have told me to go play in the street if I asked. (Although, I did often play in the street, because we lived in what was basically a cul-de-sac, but not really).

• Love 4

The McDonald's commercial for Secret Life of Pets 2 that uses Richard Marx's "Right Here Waiting". I can't stand that song and I swear I come across that commercial at least a dozen times a day. Since the movie just came out today, I'm going to be inundated by it for weeks to come. 

• Love 1

The commercial for the migraine med I refuse to name lest I give them business. If I have to hear this mom say "En garrrrrrrde!" ONE MORE TIME or watch her try to run in that stupid alien in a box costume I'm going to lose my f-ing mind. So those unfamiliar can throw up in their mouths a little…

https://youtu.be/d-OIYvPcrTY

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Yes.  She's a sancti-mommy, and that drives me nuts.  The endless parade of homemade but fancy costumes, the "You're the most important thing ever so I will sacrifice my well-being to make sure you're happy and never know a second of disappointment - migraine be damned!!".  

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

How is she a "sancti-mommy" because she wants to play with her kid?

I hit enter too soon.  I have updated my post with why I feel that way, but in short, it's the idea of sacrificing her own well being so she doesn't have to say "No, mommy doesn't feel good" to the kid.  The kid won't be scarred for life if the mom takes care of herself.  This harkens back to the whole mom-shaming thing too.  It makes moms who can't play through the pain feel bad.  It makes moms who aren't good at making elaborate play costumes feel bad.  It perpetuates the snowflake stereotype.  My mom had migraines, and I developed them when I go to be a teen - they're tied to hormones with both of us.  My mom would sometimes not be able to deal and have to lie down - this was before migraine meds even existed.  I turned out fine.

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I hit enter too soon.  I have updated my post with why I feel that way, but in short, it's the idea of sacrificing her own well being so she doesn't have to say "No, mommy doesn't feel good" to the kid.  The kid won't be scarred for life if the mom takes care of herself.  This harkens back to the whole mom-shaming thing too.  It makes moms who can't play through the pain feel bad.  It makes moms who aren't good at making elaborate play costumes feel bad.  It perpetuates the snowflake stereotype.  My mom had migraines, and I developed them when I go to be a teen - they're tied to hormones with both of us.  My mom would sometimes not be able to deal and have to lie down - this was before migraine meds even existed.  I turned out fine.

I still don't think that makes her a sancti-mommy.  I'm sure she didn't want to have a migraine just so she didn't have a migraine either.  And, the commercial is for a drug that will supposedly get rid of the migraine.  so, she's not playing through the pain.

My mom also got migraines when I was a kid and she would lie down for a few hours, and I turned out more or less fine, too.  The less part had nothing to do with migraine days, I'm sure.  But, I'm sure she would have preferred to have been out of bed and working, or playing, or pretty much anything.  Nobody wants to be in bed with a migraine.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I still don't think that makes her a sancti-mommy.  I'm sure she didn't want to have a migraine just so she didn't have a migraine either.  And, the commercial is for a drug that will supposedly get rid of the migraine.  so, she's not playing through the pain.

My mom also got migraines when I was a kid and she would lie down for a few hours, and I turned out more or less fine, too.  The less part had nothing to do with migraine days, I'm sure.  But, I'm sure she would have preferred to have been out of bed and working, or playing, or pretty much anything.  Nobody wants to be in bed with a migraine.

We can agree to disagree, but to me, the more effective way to get their point across would be just a simple talking head type thing that says "I hate to disappoint my family and put my life on hold for headaches.  They complicate things, and bring me to a standstill.  That's why I take...…(insert standard medicine commercial jargon here)."  As someone who is childless not by choice, I see a commercial that's aimed strictly at parents (which at first glance this one appears to be), and I ignore them because I am not their target audience, and I feel that society in general places too high a value on things like that, and looks down on those of us who aren't parents (either by choice or not), but that's another argument for another day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

When I was little, my mom wouldn't play with me all day, but she always took some time out to play, whether it was Candy Land, or house, or to play with dolls for a little while.  She certainly wouldn't have told me to go play in the street if I asked. (Although, I did often play in the street, because we lived in what was basically a cul-de-sac, but not really).

My mom’s version of this was “Go play marbles on the Thruway.”(Jokingly, of course.)

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Ohwell said:

There's an Eggo commercial where the guy sticks a bite of waffle into his sleeping wife's mouth.  If he were my husband, that would be the last thing he could stick in my mouth. 

I assumed he did, hence her surprise.

11 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Is that the one where the guy with the curly hair had his shirt unbuttoned by the end of the commercial? Gross.

On a related noted, those Trojan commercials with the smarmy guru of condoms who is more often than not, almost naked. Yuck.

I think it's State Farm where they have a commercial about putting one of those tattlers in your car so you can get safe driving discounts. In one scene the little kid has to use the bathroom and the mom says she does too but she's not going to ruin her discount. Then in another scene she's in labor but tells the husband not to drive fast because she doesn't wanna lose her discount.

I know it's done for humor but it bugs me. I've never been pregnant let alone been in labor but the message I'm receiving from this commercial is that discount matter more than bodily safety, whether it be your uterus, your baby or your kidneys.

Don't drive fast in an emergency because you don't wanna lose your discounts.

• Love 7

I am 100% positive this is buried in here somewhere but for real 430 pages, I checked the last three. The one that makes me maddest are the Chevy commercials. First of all, they say "real people...not actors!" as if actors are something other than actual real life people. And it's not like we can check SAG cards anyway, there's no credits. Also if they were just 'real people,' please show me the premise of you getting them into an abandoned hangar on the salt flats that transforms into a truck vending machine. Did you rendition them? But I digress.

The real reason I hate them is how fucking amazed they are by these cars or trucks. They're  like "HOLY SHIT!!! THIS WINDOW OPENS WITH A BUTTON?!?! DID WE MOVE INTO THE FUTURE BY A HUNDRED YEARS?" and "THIS CAR IS FUCKING AMAZING, IT HAS A DIAL THAT SHOWS YOU HOW FAST YOU ARE DRIVING????!!!!" "Wait, this car has FOUR doors???? OH my god, this is life changing!" Guys, they're trucks. Simmer the hell down. And that dickface guy who hosts them! "Bluhbluhbluh most awards by JD Power!" THe worst is when he's 'posing' as some sort of car technician and these 'real people' apparently show up to 'pick up' 'their' car, and it's under a tarp. You know what a real person says? You guessed it: "Why the fuck is there a tarp on my car, I brought it in here for AC service??? Also I brought in a Honda Accord, why is that clearly an SUV? What did you do to my car??" and "WHY could I not just swipe my card at the counter and get the hell out of here?" Instead they're all "WHOA! I WISH THIS WAS MY CAR!" when they pull the tarp off.  "It's everything my car isn't!" Yeah, including the part about it being your car, asshole. I want to punch all people in these commercials.

And the Kars4Kids band. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

I am 100% positive this is buried in here somewhere but for real 430 pages, I checked the last three. The one that makes me maddest are the Chevy commercials. First of all, they say "real people...not actors!" as if actors are something other than actual real life people. And it's not like we can check SAG cards anyway, there's no credits. Also if they were just 'real people,' please show me the premise of you getting them into an abandoned hangar on the salt flats that transforms into a truck vending machine. Did you rendition them? But I digress.

The real reason I hate them is how fucking amazed they are by these cars or trucks. They're  like "HOLY SHIT!!! THIS WINDOW OPENS WITH A BUTTON?!?! DID WE MOVE INTO THE FUTURE BY A HUNDRED YEARS?" and "THIS CAR IS FUCKING AMAZING, IT HAS A DIAL THAT SHOWS YOU HOW FAST YOU ARE DRIVING????!!!!" "Wait, this car has FOUR doors???? OH my god, this is life changing!" Guys, they're trucks. Simmer the hell down. And that dickface guy who hosts them! "Bluhbluhbluh most awards by JD Power!" THe worst is when he's 'posing' as some sort of car technician and these 'real people' apparently show up to 'pick up' 'their' car, and it's under a tarp. You know what a real person says? You guessed it: "Why the fuck is there a tarp on my car, I brought it in here for AC service??? Also I brought in a Honda Accord, why is that clearly an SUV? What did you do to my car??" and "WHY could I not just swipe my card at the counter and get the hell out of here?" Instead they're all "WHOA! I WISH THIS WAS MY CAR!" when they pull the tarp off.  "It's everything my car isn't!" Yeah, including the part about it being your car, asshole. I want to punch all people in these commercials.

And the Kars4Kids band. 

There's several videos on youtube about these commercials and some of them have checked their credentials and they are actors. Yeah, I watch weird things. But you wouldn't take real people and put them in a room with a bear. That's what's so insulting about those commercials. They expect you to believe they're just regular people they got off the street, wearing clothes that they didn't need to blur out brands or words and they didn't know they were being filmed.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

But you wouldn't take real people and put them in a room with a bear. 

Holy shit I forgot that one. That one's the best. I wanted one person to be like "Thanks a fucking lot for the warning, I just shit my pants! This isn't worth the cheesecake factory gift card I was promised!"

Or to have the bear maul that bearded douche who hosts the thing. How about the one where he's showing the 'real couples' the cars for the phases of their lives together? "When you four kids, two dogs and a cat" and the one guy's like "uhhhh..." SHUT THE FUCK UP CHEVY. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, scarletine said:

I figure of all the things my husband could stick in my mouth, I'd really prefer the waffle. 

ZING. ANd of all the things I could put into my wife's mouth while she's sleeping, a waffle's probably safest for me, honestly. 

• LOL 11
9 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Holy shit I forgot that one. That one's the best. I wanted one person to be like "Thanks a fucking lot for the warning, I just shit my pants! This isn't worth the cheesecake factory gift card I was promised!"

Or to have the bear maul that bearded douche who hosts the thing. How about the one where he's showing the 'real couples' the cars for the phases of their lives together? "When you four kids, two dogs and a cat" and the one guy's like "uhhhh..." SHUT THE FUCK UP CHEVY. 

Like I said I fell down a weird rabbit hole of watching videos related to the chevy commercials one day. Anywaaaaays...have you seen these parodies? There's a whole series of them.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Like I said I fell down a weird rabbit hole of watching videos related to the chevy commercials one day. Anywaaaaays...have you seen these parodies? There's a whole series of them.

Well helloooooo there, thing I will be doing later after I get off work and smoke some weed. #fatheroftheyear

Edited by Uncle JUICE
  • LOL 2
On 5/29/2019 at 7:26 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Alexa ad featuring Whitney Houston "I Wanna Dance with Somebody":  Shut. It.  A gigantic mouth with gigantic teeth screaching out a song I kinda hate........(sorry!)  Oy!  Reach for the mute.

I like the song, it's the giant mouth that bugs me.  The tag line is something about sometimes all you need is music. They should have gone with that and cut out that visual.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

I can't imagine why Ms. Philips is Busy.

'Busy' is a nickname for Elizabeth. (I do understand the point you were making)

The new commercial that makes me wonder how?! did this get approved is the new M&M commercial for hazelnut.  Shudder! Great idea to get one to try a new flavor. Not!

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, elle said:

I like the song, it's the giant mouth that bugs me.  The tag line is something about sometimes all you need is music. They should have gone with that and cut out that visual.

I first heard this as a radio commercial.  There's a Freddie Mercury one, I think, and one with the lead singer from Imagine Dragons.  I wonder if they didn't know how else to translate it to TV?  They should have just done a black background and a waveform.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, zillabreeze said:

K.  Volkswagen.  Do Not hijack "Sounds of Silence". Just don't.  Its reserved for fallen officers and us old folks.  There's a million other teary songs out there.  Do something else.

Yeah, I saw that commercial during Colbert tonight and was like, "...whaaaaat?"

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

And it was such a long commercial, too. All that drama just to introduce a new car. 

We just had a cop killed today in the line of duty.  I thought I was missing something important. Then car commercial...no

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

We just had a cop killed today in the line of duty.  I thought I was missing something important. Then car commercial...no

I thought it was going to be some kind of serious ad at first, too. 

I'm sorry to hear about the cop :(. 

• Love 3
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And it was such a long commercial, too. All that drama just to introduce a new car. 

Sad thing is if he were a bad cop, his name would be plastered everywhere.  He died doing stupid traffic stuff. 

Last year he saved a baby that was in respitory distress.  Made the news.

I'll bet if you don't live in North Texas,. you'll never hear about Officer Casteneda.  

That pisses me off.  We never know the name of the good guys

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

Sad thing is if he were a bad cop, his name would be plastered everywhere.  He died doing stupid traffic stuff. 

Last year he saved a baby that was in respitory distress.  Made the news.

I'll bet if you don't live in North Texas,. you'll never hear about Officer Casteneda.  

That pisses me off.  We never know the name of the good guys

May his memory be eternal .

• Love 4

They just don't stop with the Chevy commercials that suck. 

Now they don't have douchebag there introducing them, its just a bunch of people walk up to a Chevy and start making stupid comments that we are supposed to believe are somehow insightful, real and believable. 

NO ONE DOES THIS!!!  ESPECIALLY NOT OVER A CHEVY!!

Who is it that likes these commercials or what feedback are they getting that tells them this is a great idea?  Did they hire 10 year olds to write them?  They've been doing those for years, as if this is just so great that can't change it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3