Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I get creeped out by the amazon prime commercials where people longingly watch themselves with the items they want(a dress, a chair, a bed) while music having to do with lust is playing and only stop their daydreaming when someone interrupts them. It’s creepy!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

I get creeped out by the amazon prime commercials where people longingly watch themselves with the items they want(a dress, a chair, a bed) while music having to do with lust is playing and only stop their daydreaming when someone interrupts them. It’s creepy!

At first I though the one with the guy visualizing himself jumping and posing on the bed was fantasizing about having a boyfriend. His hair is completely different.

• Love 4
On 5/23/2019 at 8:56 PM, Gramto6 said:

Just started seeing the ad for Delta shower heads where the dorky guy strips down, gets in shower and the spray makes him some kind of "dancing star". OMG way more than I want to see! Brain bleach needed!

Yes! Not only that, but wtf is with his shower with only half a door or something? How do you take a shower without getting water all over the place? I want to know who green lighted that ad.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Not only that, but wtf is with his shower with only half a door or something? How do you take a shower without getting water all over the place?

This one?  If so, I've used showers like that, or more often  shower/tub combos where the glass door also only extends that far, in several hotels (mostly in Europe), and the water wasn't an issue.  But a lot of travelers hate them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I've stayed at hotels that had that feature; only 3/4 of the shower enclosed in glass.  There is usually plenty of tile around them, so the splashing water is not a problem.  Plus, it doesn't get so hot in there.

• Love 6

There's a hotel booking service (Suiteness?) that I find offensive.  Four women friends check in to a hotel.  They can't all be together on the same floor, so guess who gets to be by herself miles from the others - the heavier girl or one of the skinny ones?

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

At first I though the one with the guy visualizing himself jumping and posing on the bed was fantasizing about having a boyfriend. His hair is completely different.

I thought that at first about that one and the one with the guy at the bar. They both look so much like their fantasizing about a guy. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, OpalNightstream said:

In the ones I have seen, the item they are fantasizing about is ugly.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

This one?  If so, I've used showers like that, or more often  shower/tub combos where the glass door also only extends that far, in several hotels (mostly in Europe), and the water wasn't an issue.  But a lot of travelers hate them.

I guess you need a bigger shower than the ones I'm used to. I get a shower tub combo wet all the way around. I don't think I'd care for one with only a half door. Although I see how it would be good for someone with mobility issues. 

• Love 2
On 5/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, bkathi said:

I don't understand the Subaru commercial where they leave the Grandma (who is a little girl thru most of the commercial but turns back into grown up Grandma in the car) at the bottom of her porch steps instead of walking her inside.  She could wave from the porch.  I don't even see rails to help her get up the stairs safely.

THANK YOU @bkathi for explaining this commercial! I never got that the little girl was actually the Grandma. I thought they were showing how cute it was that the Granddaughter imitated the Grandma so much. 😳 And yet...I still don't get it.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:14 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

In Chicago we get ads like this all winter for warm destinations, but its late Spring (except here in Chicago, where Sprinter's just ending)...

Aaahhh "Sprinter." Such an accurate description to this newly relocated Chicagoan.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Brookside said:

There's a hotel booking service (Suiteness?) that I find offensive.  Four women friends check in to a hotel.  They can't all be together on the same floor, so guess who gets to be by herself miles from the others - the heavier girl or one of the skinny ones?

^^That's some f'd up advertising!^^

Can I file a lawsuit against Dr. Pepper and Justin Guilialla (or whatever his sorry ass last name is) for pain and suffering? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This may be a very minor thing to get annoyed about, but this Dixie ad has me thinking, "For God's sake, just hold it with both hands!!" everytime I see it.

Also, I doubt any normal person drops the food that far from the plate.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

This may be a very minor thing to get annoyed about, but this Dixie ad has me thinking, "For God's sake, just hold it with both hands!!" everytime I see it.

Is that a 20 pound piece of lasagna being dropped from the second floor onto a paper plate? Ridiculous commercial.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I guess you need a bigger shower than the ones I'm used to. I get a shower tub combo wet all the way around. I don't think I'd care for one with only a half door.

They are bigger. Longer, at least, so the splashing water lands before the opening starts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

A new to me commercial. Gross! Several people brushing their teeth and spitting in a sink. A cabinet opens with all these Lysol tubs, the one labeled something like "multiple room mates" to clean the sink. Just Yuck. I hope we will not  be shown all the other options available!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Pardon the expression, but that commercial triggers me! I am going to be annoyed when it starts to air in my region.

11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

A new to me commercial. Gross! Several people brushing their teeth and spitting in a sink. A cabinet opens with all these Lysol tubs, the one labeled something like "multiple room mates" to clean the sink. Just Yuck. I hope we will not  be shown all the other options available!!

I hate that commercial. Why aren't those people rinsing the sink when they're finished and why does it have to be disinfected?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Pardon the expression, but that commercial triggers me! I am going to be annoyed when it starts to air in my region.

I hate that commercial. Why aren't those people rinsing the sink when they're finished and why does it have to be disinfected?

Because they're pigs. And because spitting = germs = everything has to be disinfected anymore. Or something. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, InDueTime said:

It reminds me of that old ad for Chinet(?)where the lady places a full glass of iced tea on an ordinary paper plate, tries to pick it up, and it crashes into the sink(because, y’know, paper plate), but shows that you can successfully carry *three* glasses on the Chinet plate.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Because they're pigs. And because spitting = germs = everything has to be disinfected anymore. Or something. 

Yeah that ^^^^

We are in the world of germaphobia. What's next? An in-home surgical sterilization device for EVERYTHING?  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, smittykins said:

It reminds me of that old ad for Chinet(?)where the lady places a full glass of iced tea on an ordinary paper plate, tries to pick it up, and it crashes into the sink(because, y’know, paper plate), but shows that you can successfully carry *three* glasses on the Chinet plate.

Who carries a glass on a plate?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, smittykins said:

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

My local station keeps playing a commercial for Stanley Steemer that irritates (and kind of disgusts) me.  A little boy is urinating into a toilet (with full sound effects). His mom calls from somewhere in the house saying "let's go!".  The kid turns sideways -"ok Mom!", apparently missing the toilet.  The wide shot shows him finishing up, a noticeable puddle of urine on the floor, that he then runs through, into the adjoining carpeted bedroom.

Then the voice over... "That's Disgusting!".  Call Stanley Steemer to clean up your messes, yada yada.

Ok.  Yes, this setup is pretty disgusting, but... Stanley Steemer?  To clean up urine on the floor?  Are they disinfecting the floor?  Why can't someone in the family clean the floor? It's pee, not toxic waste.

Edited by HighMaintenance
  • Love 5
On 5/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, mmecorday said:

Maybe this is a local ad, but there's a commercial for Myrtle Beach with the least appealing commercial jingle of all time. It consists of some bozo singing "Let go and unwiiiiiiiind on Myrtle Beach time." Make.It.STOP!

OMG I live just outside of Myrtle Beach (Conway) and of course we don't get commercials to vaycay in MB in general but we do get commercials for things to do in MB (Myrtle Waves, Broadway at the Beach, etc.)  Please if you can post some of those commercials you guys see.  I would luv to see that.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:26 PM, mmecorday said:

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in years, but when I did go -- and this was 30 years ago -- on every block there were beach shops called Giants, Eagles and Wings. We always used to joke that they needed to consolidate their businesses into one location called Giant Eagle Wings. They all sold the same cheap crapola.

Yup they're still there!  Well actually Giants isn't really around anymore but oh yeah there are still a bunch of Eagles and Wings beach store and yeah they are still low rent souvenir shops.  There's more upscale, expensive shopping to be had but unfortunately the cheap crap is still there too.

• Love 1

Bounce ad: "Do you want ready to wear clothing without all the hassle? You can!" Drives me nuts as it's missing "...to have..." or "...to own..." The way it's worded now makes it sound like one needs Bounce's permission to want things.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Alexa ad featuring Whitney Houston "I Wanna Dance with Somebody":  Shut. It.  A gigantic mouth with gigantic teeth screaching out a song I kinda hate........(sorry!)  Oy!  Reach for the mute.

• Love 8

I just saw an ad for the Home Depot with a young girl who’s just a little too short to reach the snacks on their refrigerator’s upper shelf, so mom goes online to find a fridge with a bottom drawer.  OK, but...

Your daughter’s still growing.  She should be able to reach that shelf pretty quickly, probably sooner than you think.  And in the meantime, there’s something called a stepstool.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14

There's a new commercial for Popeyes with a couple on a date having a picnic but the girl acts like a total bitch: she tells him she's only with him for the sweet and spicy chicken strips. that he's not "spicy" enough for her, and she honks his nose.

madeline kahn flames GIF

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, smittykins said:

I remember one product ad, either for paper towels or toilet paper, that involved eggs.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, QuinnInND said:

Ugh, so tired of the germ-o-phobe ads! I suspect this attitude is causing health issues.

23 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Ok.  Yes, this setup is pretty disgusting, but... Stanley Steemer?  To clean up urine on the floor?  Are they disinfecting the floor?  Why can't someone in the family clean the floor? It's pee, not toxic waste.

It is if it's the Kardashians.

3 hours ago, smittykins said:

I just saw an ad for the Home Depot with a young girl who’s just a little too short to reach the snacks on their refrigerator’s upper shelf, so mom goes online to find a fridge with a bottom drawer.  OK, but...

Your daughter’s still growing.  She should be able to reach that shelf pretty quickly, probably sooner than you think.  And in the meantime, there’s something called a stepstool.

I think the mother was desperately looking for an excuse to get a new fridge.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

There's a new commercial for Popeyes with a couple on a date having a picnic but the girl acts like a total bitch: she tells him she's only with him for the sweet and spicy chicken strips. that he's not "spicy" enough for her, and she honks his nose.

That reminds me of that new Wendy's commercial that I hate. A woman is breaking up with her boyfriend because he's too basic -- bland clothes, furniture, pet... all gray. They're clearly at his place because of the surrounding gray decor, but then she proceeds to eat a very large chicken sandwich while he leaves. Who the hell breaks up with a guy and then hangs around to eat at his apartment?

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

That reminds me of that new Wendy's commercial that I hate. A woman is breaking up with her boyfriend because he's too basic -- bland clothes, furniture, pet... all gray. They're clearly at his place because of the surrounding gray decor, but then she proceeds to eat a very large chicken sandwich while he leaves. Who the hell breaks up with a guy and then hangs around to eat at his apartment?

IDK I kinda like this commercial.  Him "storming" off staying he's going for a drive "AT THE SPEND LIMIT" is just too funny.  Enh her eating in his apt. just seems like revenge too me.  Bwhahaha!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, smittykins said:

Kids are usually able to grab whatever's handy to reach what they want, but the daughter here is clearly expecting mom to help her out since she's standing right there!

(edited)

There is one out for some car extended warranty.  One of the people they talk to is loading a Kayak on to a truck, and it says his name, and what year vehicle he bought, and I think the mileage.  He goes on and on about how great this warranty is.  There is a woman (? - hard to say for sure) standing next to him, and who says nothing, but has an expression on the face that looks like they smelled a really bad fart.  It drives me nuts.

**ETA: found it!  Starts around :28**

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wrQ8/carshield-a-matter-of-time

Edited by funky-rat
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

While that one doesn't make me angry, I think calling someone "basic" doesn't mean "simple" or "risk aversive".

On ‎05‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, mmecorday said:

Maybe this is a local ad, but there's a commercial for Myrtle Beach with the least appealing commercial jingle of all time. It consists of some bozo singing "Let go and unwiiiiiiiind on Myrtle Beach time." Make.It.STOP!

I see that one in northeastern Maryland.  I don't mind it, but we all have our breaking point. :-0

On ‎05‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, OpalNightstream said:

I like the one with the woman and the chair, but maybe that's just because I like the chair.

On ‎05‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, Gramto6 said:

Just started seeing the ad for Delta shower heads where the dorky guy strips down, gets in shower and the spray makes him some kind of "dancing star". OMG way more than I want to see! Brain bleach needed!

I'm kind of oddly fascinated with how flexible he appears to be.

On ‎05‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, mmecorday said:

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in years, but when I did go -- and this was 30 years ago -- on every block there were beach shops called Giants, Eagles and Wings. We always used to joke that they needed to consolidate their businesses into one location called Giant Eagle Wings. They all sold the same cheap crapola.

Eagles and Wings were still there in 2005 when I last went to MB.

On ‎05‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, peacheslatour said:

He's supposed to be cooler because of the bed.

10 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

While that one doesn't make me angry, I think calling someone "basic" doesn't mean "simple" or "risk aversive".

Depends.  Regular definition of basic would be something along the lines of simple; urban dictionary definition, not so much.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, smittykins said:

And in the meantime, there’s something called a stepstool.

Which you could buy at Home Depot.

6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Who the hell breaks up with a guy and then hangs around to eat at his apartment?

Free food?

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Free food?

Like that guy really bought that sandwich. He'd haven gotten a plain hamburger, no cheese, no pickles, no condiments, no flavor.

It was the girl's sandwich. She went through the Wendy's drive-thru, then to her boyfriend's apartment, broke up with him and then ate her lunch there while he wandered off somewhere safely driving at/under the speed limit.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It was the girl's sandwich. She went through the Wendy's drive-thru,

Maybe she figured she slop all over the guy's sofa with that sandwich.  Plus, we don't know who paid for that sandwich, do we? Da da daaaaa!

(edited)

Back to complain about the stupid Charmin Bears again.

Can we start a petition to retire the Charmin Bears for good? This latest one, with Mama and Papa bear arguing over who's going to pick up Junior's underwear off the floor, only to have Junior run into the room and start singing "My hiney's clean, my hiney's clean, my hiney's clean" while he shakes his butt into the camera wiping it with toilet paper. I mean . . .  jumping Jehosaphat! Surely they've taken this campaign as far as it can go. Whatever happened to the good old days when they just poured blue water on the toilet paper to show it was still strong enough to hold a cup of coffee? I don't need my toilet paper commercials to be quite so literal.

I get creeped out by the amazon prime commercials where people longingly watch themselves with the items they want(a dress, a chair, a bed) while music having to do with lust is playing and only stop their daydreaming when someone interrupts them. It’s creepy!

Is it any better than he's fantasizing about himself? Clearly the fantasy doppleganger is trying to seduce himself. It is creepy. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 16
27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This latest one, with Mama and Papa bear arguing over who's going to pick up Junior's underwear off the floor, only to have Junior run into the room and start singing "My hiney's clean, my hiney's clean, my hiney's clean" while he shakes his butt into the camera wiping it with toilet paper.

Since when do any of the Charmin bears wear underwear? 

• LOL 16
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Since when do any of the Charmin bears wear underwear? 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Can we start a petition to retire the Charmin Bears for good? This latest one, with Mama and Papa bear arguing over who's going to pick up Junior's underwear off the floor, only to have Junior run into the room and start singing "My hiney's clean, my hiney's clean, my hiney's clean" while he shakes his butt into the camera wiping it with toilet paper. I mean . . .  jumping Jehosaphat! Surely they've taken this campaign as far as it can go. Whatever happened to the good old days when they just poured blue water on the toilet paper to show it was still strong enough to hold a cup of coffee? I don't need my toilet paper commercials to be quite so literal.

Okay, I have about the strongest stomach around, I truly do.  But that ad made me almost vomit.  It truly did.  I am not a big boycott person but I will never buy Charmin for that reason.  Costco, Aldi, off brand, whatever.  But who the hell green lit that awful idea?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4