Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Biscuits and gravy are a staple on every menu in my area.  Mmmm.

1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

They are here too, as is "Country Mess", which is a bowl with scrambled eggs, all kinds of meats, onions, potatoes, and it's all topped with gravy.  Sometimes it has chese.

I love both of those! They are really good.

• Love 2

we love sausage gravy and biscuits here. I make it a couple of times a month. Growing up, it frequently was made without sausage because we didn't have the money. We also ate ham and beans and cornbread. My parents were both raised on farms. I can do beans and ham about once a year, I like it ok, but it makes up to such a huge amount of food, there are lots of leftovers. I get tired of them.

To make this about the topic, I hate all The General ads. I can tolerate Liberty Mutual much better. And I'll be fine in my unpopular opinion, but I don't like the Mayhem ads for whatever company they are for.

• Love 3

The ad for one of those chairs that takes you up the stairs. Man wakes up in the middle of the night. He's apparently thirsty, because he grabs an empty glass off his bedside table, and grabs his cane, and heads for the stairs, where he drops his cane, and falls down the stairs. Um.. Why is he going downstairs for water? Does he not realize that the bathroom sink also provides water? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Um.. Why is he going downstairs for water? Does he not realize that the bathroom sink also provides water? 

A lot of people will only go to the kitchen to get a drink of water, because they have filtered water there; between those who think unfiltered water contains too much of various things to consume and/or those who find it tastes different than filtered, it seems pretty common.

(Me, I will generally walk to the kitchen to get more water - because I want it chilled.  But if I'm sick or otherwise impaired, room temp water from the bathroom tap will do just fine, because my priority is getting back in bed with as little exertion as possible.)

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A lot of people will only go to the kitchen to get a drink of water, because they have filtered water there; between those who think unfiltered water contains too much of various things to consume and/or those who find it tastes different than filtered, it seems pretty common.

(Me, I will generally walk to the kitchen to get more water - because I want it chilled.  But if I'm sick or otherwise impaired, room temp water from the bathroom tap will do just fine, because my priority is getting back in bed with as little exertion as possible.)

I didn't think about that. I'm not that picky when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Bottled water would fix that problem, or a pitcher of filtered ice water taken upstairs too.  I think him wanting a snack or letting the dog out or something would be a better thing for him to need to go downstairs for. 

• Love 5

Something about the mom in the University of Phoenix "dragon who couldn't fly" commercial annoys me. I think she's intentionally made to look small/weak/scared so adults contemplating a big educational leap can identify but I think she looks cross-eyed - I keep thinking it's an SNL parody starring Cheri Oteri.

That Family Circus cartoon was borrowed from Dennis the Menace. I don't recall which parent brought him the water, but Dennis said, "That's bathroom water; I wanted kitchen water."  I was quite young when I read that, but the concept struck a note with me, so I remembered it.

While I actually like SOS, the idea of biscuits & gravy (white gravy) makes me nauseated. I'm not sure what the difference is, but when I see B&G in a hotel "free breakfast," it nearly ruins my day.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The ad for one of those chairs that takes you up the stairs. Man wakes up in the middle of the night. He's apparently thirsty, because he grabs an empty glass off his bedside table, and grabs his cane, and heads for the stairs, where he drops his cane, and falls down the stairs. Um.. Why is he going downstairs for water? Does he not realize that the bathroom sink also provides water? 

I once lived someplace where only bedrooms were upstairs, kitchen and bath downstairs. Actually, now that I think of it, that's the only place where I've lived where my living area encompassed two stories, not including basements. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Why is he going downstairs for water? Does he not realize that the bathroom sink also provides water?

Maybe he knows that toilets contaminate everything within 6 feet (general rule, YMMV) and is put off by the idea of drinking that water.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That Family Circus cartoon was borrowed from Dennis the Menace. I don't recall which parent brought him the water, but Dennis said, "That's bathroom water; I wanted kitchen water."  I was quite young when I read that, but the concept struck a note with me, so I remembered it.

I remembered it from Dennis the Menace too, but couldn't find it online, and was a bit surprised that Family Circus had one that was so much alike.  It was his father who brought him the water, and I remember that quote as well.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

...Why is he going downstairs for water? Does he not realize that the bathroom sink also provides water? 

When I was a kid we youngsters all had some sort of "thing" against drinking 'bathroom water'.

One time Mom had to turn off the kitchen tap due to plumbing problems, and while waiting for Dad to get back from the hardware store with the new parts, she realized she hadn't thought to put any water in the fridge for drinking.  So she told us to use the tap in the bathroom.  "But, but, that's bathroom water!" 

"It's the same water, it comes from the same source, it just comes out in a different room.  Taking water from the tap in the bathroom isn't going to hurt you! We have a dixie cup dispenser on the wall in there, what do you think it's for?" 

"That's for brushing our teeth.  We're not drinking it."  We thought we were being so reasonable.  Mom just sighed and pointed out that we were still putting 'bathroom water' in our mouth, there was no difference if we swallowed it or not.

So we grudgingly drank the dreaded bathroom water, didn't get sick, still hated it, but knew we were being ridiculous about it.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

"All In The Family" had an episode where Archie wouldn't use bathroom water for drinking.

OH, annoying commercial #2568 from Geico.  The one where it's like the intro for a 80's sitcom with a theme song... something about "the maid".  Flo's in the background in all scenes saying, "I'm Not The MAID!". 

Um.  Ok.  Annoying and headscratching.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

"All In The Family" had an episode where Archie wouldn't use bathroom water for drinking.

OH, annoying commercial #2568 from Geico.  The one where it's like the intro for a 80's sitcom with a theme song... something about "the maid".  Flo's in the background in all scenes saying, "I'm Not The MAID!". 

Um.  Ok.  Annoying and headscratching.

Is that Geico or Progressive? 

7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The you are going to be a great grandmother part in the Consumer Cellular grand pad commercial makes me stabby.

Perhaps you're thinking "stabby" because like me, that's the effect the woman's shrill line delivery has on my eardrums.

Holy hell, I really hate loud, sharp, high-pitched voices.

• Love 5

The latest one that grates my last nerve is the one for the new slim can Diet Coke (or is it Pepsi?) Where they show a guy running a food truck making grilled cheese at a college campus and the voice-over guy says "Make that money young buck, make that money".  It just sounds so patronizing and cheesy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CoderLady said:

Perhaps you're thinking "stabby" because like me, that's the effect the woman's shrill line delivery has on my eardrums.

Holy hell, I really hate loud, sharp, high-pitched voices.

Makes me feel sorry for the husband and baby to have to be around the wife and mother to be with a voice like that. UGH!!!

34 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

The latest one that grates my last nerve is the one for the new slim can Diet Coke (or is it Pepsi?) Where they show a guy running a food truck making grilled cheese at a college campus and the voice-over guy says "Make that money young buck, make that money".  It just sounds so patronizing and cheesy.

Well I guess it has to be cheesy since he is making a grilled cheese sandwich.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought the local car dealer adds with the grandkids were cute, until someone clued me in that the original ads were with the owner's kids, and then they used actors for all of the years since.   So you see the same kids in all kinds of ads here, and  none of them are related to the owners, and I bet they're actually out of Montgomery.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

We have two local furniture companies that use their children in their ads.  One uses his only child, a daughter, and the other one uses his 6 boys.  We've had the privilege of watching all these kids grow up, it really is something.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, the Chime Bank commercial "Whoopie, I got direct deposit with Chime. I get paid two days sooner!" Makes me crazy so I'm shouting "So will literally every other bank. Literally EVERY OTHER BANK!!1!"

My employer's bank won't give any money to other banks early, so I can't get it from mine. Is Chime willing to give you money they don't have yet?

• Love 3

I don't understand the big whoop about getting your money 2 days early. That only happens once, and then it's the same 2 day early date every month, right? I guess if you're living paycheck to paycheck, and you get the money the day before something like your rent is due rather than a day later, there is an advantage. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, so the 2 day early thing is lost on me.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

My employer's bank won't give any money to other banks early, so I can't get it from mine. Is Chime willing to give you money they don't have yet?

48 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't understand the big whoop about getting your money 2 days early. That only happens once, and then it's the same 2 day early date every month, right? I guess if you're living paycheck to paycheck, and you get the money the day before something like your rent is due rather than a day later, there is an advantage. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, so the 2 day early thing is lost on me.

What I **think** they're pushing is the direct deposit aspect.  We switched to direct deposit a number of years ago because depending on when we got to the bank on Friday to deposit the check (time of day) depended on whether we got the money on Monday or Tuesday.  There was always a waiting period for the check to go through the bank and be deposited.  If we got there before 5 pm, it went to the next business day, which was Monday.  If we got there after 5, it went to the day after that - Tuesday.  If we were running short on cash in the bank, this would suck.  All banks were like that here at one time, and our bank suggested we switch to direct deposit, and we get access to the money on payday, not 1-2 days after payday, because the funds were electronically transferred.  Our bank has eased off on that somewhat - especially for payroll checks - but there are some that are real sticklers for it around here.  That's the only rational explanation I can come up with for it.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I don't live paycheck to paycheck, so the 2 day early thing is lost on me.

There are things that some people might want right away where credit isn't an option (e.g. drugs and hookers).

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

What I **think** they're pushing is the direct deposit aspect.  We switched to direct deposit a number of years ago because depending on when we got to the bank on Friday to deposit the check (time of day) depended on whether we got the money on Monday or Tuesday.  There was always a waiting period for the check to go through the bank and be deposited.  If we got there before 5 pm, it went to the next business day, which was Monday.  If we got there after 5, it went to the day after that - Tuesday.  If we were running short on cash in the bank, this would suck.  All banks were like that here at one time, and our bank suggested we switch to direct deposit, and we get access to the money on payday, not 1-2 days after payday, because the funds were electronically transferred.  Our bank has eased off on that somewhat - especially for payroll checks - but there are some that are real sticklers for it around here.  That's the only rational explanation I can come up with for it.

It's more than that, it's that you can access it even before payday. For instance, my payday is every other Friday. But because of my bank (not Chime), my direct deposit comes through Thursday instead.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

It's more than that, it's that you can access it even before payday. For instance, my payday is every other Friday. But because of my bank (not Chime), my direct deposit comes through Thursday instead.

Mine comes through at Midnight of the day we get paid.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Mine comes through at Midnight of the day we get paid.

Mine is midnight Thursday morning. An entire day early.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Most things with the word "casserole" in it is "white-trash cooking." I ate a lot of casserole as a kid and also a lot of SOS, which is even one step below casserole. I'd rather have my mouth washed out with Lifebuoy than eat SOS.

My father's most requested meal was dried beef gravy - he loved it when he was in the army.  Me, I like dried beef in a sandwich, but the gravy looked unappetizing when I was a kid.

My mom wasn't much for casseroles as a rule, but we did eat a lot of Hamburger Helper when I was a teenager.  I still like some of those.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Putting this one here and in the the Say What thread as it kind of fits both.

Just eyerolled during this one.

I find this one rather funny, in a surreal kind of way.

On ‎05‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, funky-rat said:

Here, they make it with hamburger

I grew up eating the hamburger version (and loved it) but we didn't call that SOS.  We called it Weaver's Special, after my father's mother.  She seasoned it really well.

On ‎05‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, Bastet said:

Me, too.

20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, the Chime Bank commercial "Whoopie, I got direct deposit with Chime. I get paid two days sooner!" Makes me crazy so I'm shouting "So will literally every other bank. Literally EVERY OTHER BANK!!1!"

I have Direct Deposit, but the county government for which I work does not pay us one single second before midnight on payday, not even when payday falls on a holiday.  They don't for either of the two banks I use, and they wouldn't for Chime either.

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

There are times when it would make a difference between which check is going to pay the mortgage; sometimes money gets tight.  But I try to plan ahead for those months because I never get paid early.

• Love 3
On 5/14/2019 at 1:07 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

The worst ads with kids are local ads where they hire their relatives' kids.  One of the classic worst if you lived in the Chicago area was Timmy for Long Chevrolet.

Agreed, which is what makes this video awesome:

• Love 2
(edited)

Jeez you guys.  My payday is on Friday, but direct deposit goes through on Wednesday morning.  I'm surprised to learn this isn't standardized.  (Well, not surprised surprised, but the spread is surprising.)

Edited by janie jones
50 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Jeez you guys.  My payday is on Friday, but direct deposit goes through on Wednesday morning.  I'm surprised to learn this isn't standardized.  (Well, not surprised surprised, but the spread is surprising.)

I legit do not understand this.  Why would you get paid two days before your payday? 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I legit do not understand this.  Why would you get paid two days before your payday?

I get paid the day before - payday is Friday, but the direct deposit goes through first thing Thursday - and it just came up in conversation last week that a friend's direct deposit hits Wednesday (for a Friday payday).  So it happens.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’ve been getting paid early through direct deposit for like 20 years, I don’t know how/why.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

There's some app now that you can get $100.00 from your next paycheck before your payday. The ads are awful. If you're taking $100.00 out of your check early all the time, maybe you need to reevaluate your finances a bit. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I get paid on Friday, as well. Come Thursday AM, my pay is *almost* in my account - it shows up as a "pending" transaction, but it doesn't truly post to the account until Friday.

Mine does too, sometimes.  I can't use that money until it actually posts.

• Love 1