Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 4/24/2019 at 8:58 PM, Phebemarie said:

This Wal-Mart commercial is getting on my nerves.  Maybe the song has some metaphorical significance outside of selling clothes that I'm missing.     

https://ispot.tv/a/IW1g

That commercial makes me laugh because it sounds like, "first name is Free! Last name is Dumb!" and then ends with increasingly hysterical, "FreeDOM! FREEEEEDOMMMM!" It's all a little much for a store that sells $4 t-shirts made in Bangladesh that leave lint stuck to your body when you sweat. I had no idea that was Pharrell; that makes me think less of him.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

That commercial makes me laugh because it sounds like, "first name is Free! Last name is Dumb!" and then ends with increasingly hysterical, "FreeDOM! FREEEEEDOMMMM!" It's all a little much for a store that sells $4 t-shirts made in Bangladesh that leave lint stuck to your body when you sweat. I had no idea that was Pharrell; that makes me think less of him.

Exactly.  The commercial wouldn’t bother if I had the sound muted.  

On 4/20/2019 at 6:26 PM, QuinnInND said:

Especially when your name is never on one. Or anything else for that matter. 

The only time you'll find my name on anything is if it's been special ordered. When I was in elementary school we were able to order pencils with our names and I was so excited! (My one consolation as a kid is that my brother had almost as much trouble; he has the less-common spelling of a common name, so he usually didn't see his spelling. Though these days I see it more often; I have seen it on a Coke bottle.)

On 4/20/2019 at 8:57 PM, chenoa333 said:

All that ^^^^ so Wells Scammin' Fargo can try and and convince people to take out a mortgage loan? Or maybe I missed the message? I hate them but I still bank with them. But I'm poor so they leave me alone😁

I don't know if I trust a bank that would give a mortgage to a dog... (since it's the dog suggesting they need to find a new place).

On 4/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe, but I feel like that's a regional colloquialism as opposed to a a flat-out grammar/diction error?

On 4/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

When I said, "come with," my brother pointed out that I'm showing my Philadelphia roots.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

For me it was my Pennsyltuckey roots. Along with red up your room, go run down cellar and ugly as skedditch.

One of my friends from college said "come with" and I had never heard it before that (she's from the Harrisburg area, near where we went to school; I'm from NJ).

On 4/26/2019 at 2:23 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Here in Jersey*, we say "down the shore" instead of "to or at the shore"--as in, "I am going down the shore on my day off" or "They spent their vacation down the shore." It's weird (and possibly confusing, because to go "down" the shore, one would have to already be on said shore and heading/headed south).

But even though I am a grammar person (as my job), it doesn't bug me in the least. Probably because I've lived here all my life and because my grandparents always had a second home "down the shore." (It's been gone since 2012; thanks a lot, Sandy!)

*In North and Central Jersey at least; I don't know if the people who live in South Jersey would say this, as they're there already.

Funny you mention that; I was born and raised in Central Jersey but I have never said that! We just went to the beach. I have heard many times that Jersey people say this, and I always think, "I don't..." (But I also don't eat pork roll, so... maybe I'm not a true Jersey girl.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, I don’t eat it either (but I’m vegan—and let me tell you, the boardwalk down the shore does not cater to my kind!).

We rented a house in Stone Harbor every summer and spent one day at Wildwood - afternoon at the water park followed by dinner then the evening on the boardwalk. Funnel cake and shaved ice were the two requirements for the evening. 🙂

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The only time you'll find my name on anything is if it's been special ordered. When I was in elementary school we were able to order pencils with our names and I was so excited! (My one consolation as a kid is that my brother had almost as much trouble; he has the less-common spelling of a common name, so he usually didn't see his spelling. Though these days I see it more often; I have seen it on a Coke bottle.)

Same here. My mom used to special order things with my name on it when I was kid because I was sad that I could never find my name on any of the pens, pencils, cups and everything else that had names on them because its unique while my brother had a very common name so he had no trouble finding stuff, tons of stuff with his name on it. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know if I trust a bank that would give a mortgage to a dog... (since it's the dog suggesting they need to find a new place).

One of my friends from college said "come with" and I had never heard it before that (she's from the Harrisburg area, near where we went to school; I'm from NJ).

Funny you mention that; I was born and raised in Central Jersey but I have never said that! We just went to the beach. I have heard many times that Jersey people say this, and I always think, "I don't..." (But I also don't eat pork roll, so... maybe I'm not a true Jersey girl.)

Central jersey girl here too! Born, raised, and raising my kids here now too. We used to say “down the shore” in the 90s but now everyone seems to say “to the beach”. Vegetarian here so I don’t do pork roll but my family does do Taylor Ham! Isn’t pork roll south jersey?

• Love 1

The Subaru commercial with the blind guy with the creepy beard taking the young couple into to the woods to kill them is back.   Joy.

I am sick of the commercial for hearing aids that has the old guy woodworking with his son.   "I love you dad." "WHAT?!?"    The dad spends the rest of the commercial complaining about how expense hearing aids are and why should that be when he can get a TV for under 300 bucks.  He just sounds like some hateful old fart and you have to wonder why the son decided to randomly say 'I love you' to this whiner.  He's comparing apples to oranges (nearing aids and TVs are two totally different technologies) and has no concept of economics; virtually ever household has multiple TV while the demand for hearing aids is far lower,     More production volume = lower cost.     I want to  scream at him to shut the fuck up every time the commercial comes up but I know he'd never hear me.....and then start blaming me for having a TV.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

Re: Colonial Penn's Alex Trebek ad

I want the old lady to say, "I've just turned 80 and I've fallen and I can't get up, what's my price?"

11 hours ago, Maverick said:

The Subaru commercial with the blind guy with the creepy beard taking the young couple into to the woods to kill them is back.   Joy.

"You can [still] hear the wails!"

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

I am sick of the commercial for hearing aids that has the old guy woodworking with his son.

It bugs me because he looks like an un-funny Jonathan Winters.

Edited by Tom Holmberg

There are places that will do that for you. You can also donate your body to "The Body Farm" in Tennessee where they study the decomposition of human remains for forensic science purposes. I shared an elevator with the head of that project at a conference once. I was so impressed. 

DR. BASS?! Oh my god, I would die right there! (Was that nerdy? And/or morbid?) I have the paperwork for this place in my house as we speak. But I haven't filled it out yet.

"You can [still] hear the wails!"

This makes me laugh every time! My BF looked at me like I was nuts when he realized that I thought it was "wails" instead of "whales." And then called me a ghoul.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 2
55 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

DR. BASS?! Oh my god, I would die right there! (Was that nerdy? And/or morbid?)

Oh yes, that was him. I was at an American Academy of Forensic Sciences meeting. I had it together enough to address him as Dr. Bass. 

• Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:25 AM, Armchair Critic said:

I am so sick of Jamie on the Progressive commercials, Flo was bad enough. Now we are supposed to believe he lives in a mansion with a hot wife and multiple kids? Every time I turn around that commercial is on. 

I am still waiting for Jamie to awaken or someone to interrupt his daydreaming...

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

He's comparing apples to oranges (nearing aids and TVs are two totally different technologies) and has no concept of economics; virtually ever household has multiple TV while the demand for hearing aids is far lower,     More production volume = lower cost.

It's also more difficult to make something smaller, especially if it has a mechanical component, like hearing aids do. Along with everything else, he says it cost "ten times less". I wouldn't be surprised if his doctor was padding the price just to have to deal with this guy.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It's also more difficult to make something smaller, especially if it has a mechanical component, like hearing aids do

Prices of hearing aids doubled between 1997 and 2008 and have continued to increase.

"The components of a hearing aid are indeed commoditized: they cost at most $50 to $150 per device but can go as low as a few dollars."

https://www.audicus.com/hearing-aid-price-bubble/

"One reason the prices remain high is that a fairly small group of companies controls the market..."

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2016/hearing-aid-costs-prices-cs.html

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Maverick said:

The dad spends the rest of the commercial complaining about how expense hearing aids are and why should that be when he can get a TV for under 300 bucks.  He just sounds like some hateful old fart and you have to wonder why the son decided to randomly say 'I love you' to this whiner.  He's comparing apples to oranges (nearing aids and TVs are two totally different technologies) and has no concept of economics; virtually ever household has multiple TV while the demand for hearing aids is far lower,     

That's done fairly frequently. It's like when people complain that football players make more money than teachers not taking into account that football players are paid out of profits, while teachers are paid by taxes.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2019 at 4:25 AM, Armchair Critic said:

I am so sick of Jamie on the Progressive commercials, Flo was bad enough. Now we are supposed to believe he lives in a mansion with a hot wife and multiple kids? Every time I turn around that commercial is on.

I agree for the most part, but do chuckle at the one where he's the new stepdad.  He tells the one kid to not spoil his dinner, and he yells "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!!!".  Then Jamie is all "That's fair".  That one makes me chuckle.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

I agree for the most part, but do chuckle at the one where he's the new stepdad.  He tells the one kid to not spoil his dinner, and he yells "YOU'RE NOT MY DAD!!!".  Then Jamie is all "That's fair".  That one makes me chuckle.

I don't mind the one where he and another worker run away from Flo and I tolerate the house one, but the 'You're not my dad!' one makes me mute my tv. (It's a subjective commercial, and I can see how others might laugh at it though.)

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I don't like that one just for the fact that he isn't the new stepdad.  He's just acting like he thinks one is supposed to for some reason.  It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 3

I swear I've read the thread, but maybe I've missed it? Where is the hate for the Toyota ad where the middle/high school kid impresses his female classmate with "his" "lit" Camry? And the twist is that the car belongs to the parent of another student?

SHAME ON YOU TOYOTA for making a commercial suggesting that a girl should be interested in a boy because of the car his parent has. And a Camry. Really? Please. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I don't mind the one where he and another worker run away from Flo and I tolerate the house one, but the 'You're not my dad!' one makes me mute my tv. (It's a subjective commercial, and I can see how others might laugh at it though.)

If it brings back bad memories, I can see how some don't like it.  I only mentioned it because I normally HATE the Progressive ads, but this one, and the wacky new maid one are tolerable to me.

22 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I think they're poking fun at some old "very special" sitcom episodes, just like the new maid one with Flo.  They've made fun of after school specials and stuff like that before.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

If it brings back bad memories, I can see how some don't like it.  I only mentioned it because I normally HATE the Progressive ads, but this one, and the wacky new maid one are tolerable to me.

I think they're poking fun at some old "very special" sitcom episodes, just like the new maid one with Flo.  They've made fun of after school specials and stuff like that before.

Lol. "Sprinkles are for winners."

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 4/28/2019 at 9:52 PM, Maverick said:

I would love it if they made a movie about the idiot couple and the killer blind guy.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

It doesn't for me, but I can see where you're coming from there. I'm just annoyed by the commercial overall. Ah. I love the wacky new maid one as well. That's one of my faves by them. What do you think of the one where Jamie and another agent run away from Flo? That one is pretty funny too.

Ah fair point on that. I kind of saw it that way too. I'm thinking it's in part a case of overkill in terms of how many times I've seen it.

(edited)

There's now a Big O Tires commercial running on my teevee all too often. It features a minivan with its tires stuck in the mud, spinning helplessly. A woman is driving and a little girl is in the back seat wearing a soccer uniform. Then it cuts to a soccer game with little girls running around and throwing tantrums while ALL of them are screaming at glass-shattering levels. And it goes ON and ON that way.

And - I don't even get the point of the damned thing. Is it that the team's superstah is stranded because her mom has bad tires so they are all upset? 

Whatevs. It's a new low. Sustained glass-shattering kid screams that never. end.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

There's a Nutella commercial where the mom is making "breakfast" for the family, which consists of her slapping some Nutella on bread.  She thinks she should get thanks for making breakfast.  She annoys the hell out of me.    

• Love 14
13 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

It doesn't for me, but I can see where you're coming from there. I'm just annoyed by the commercial overall. Ah. I love the wacky new maid one as well. That's one of my faves by them. What do you think of the one where Jamie and another agent run away from Flo? That one is pretty funny too.

Ah fair point on that. I kind of saw it that way too. I'm thinking it's in part a case of overkill in terms of how many times I've seen it.

I don't see it much, otherwise I'd probably feel the same way.  I haven't seen the one where they're running away from Flo yet.

It's so funny that so many people think the blind guy is going to kill the tourists.  He's blind, they could just run away and leave him wandering around in the woods.

I thought it was more likely that the strangers to the area would take the blind guy out and kill him, for whatever reason.

Anyway, I actually started following this forum because of the smart alecky little girl who was complaining that her mom washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher.  She needs smacked upside the head, and her mom who's putting dishes in the dishwasher and smiling at the camera in an embarrassed sort of way needs a good pop, too.

Oh, and I was wondering if I'm the only one who thought the guy in the prepaid cellular commercial looks and sounds like Richie Cunningham from Happy Days?

• Love 2

thought it was more likely that the strangers to the area would take the blind guy out and kill him, for whatever reason.

He may be blind but he can see through time and space. He can read minds and feel their beating hearts. There is no escape.

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:23 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I am still waiting for Jamie to awaken or someone to interrupt his daydreaming...

I'll be happy to wake him up just in time for him to realize that he's being smothered to death with a lilywhite pillow.

• LOL 4
On 4/28/2019 at 5:52 PM, OpalNightstream said:

The lady in the daily harvest commercial has such a nasally voice! 

Oooh, she reminds me of the awful voiceover lady on HGTV commercials. Yikes, she cringes me!