Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, bad things are bad said:

HATE with a passion the old lady at the bottom of the steps. 

Some day it could by YOU at the bottom of the steps.  (62-year-old woman.)

• Love 7
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:10 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Kars for Kids is probably a worthwhile charity, but I'm really sick of that song!

It is the WORST commercial EVER played on TV or radio.  I lunge for the off switch every time it starts.  Not only is the song an ear worm, the kids pretending to play instruments and the shitty singing kid make me vomit.  And then the older man chimes in for a verse and it's just as bad.  Finally, it finishes off with one of those treacly sweet little girls telling me to give away my mobile home.  Fuck off, K-A-R-S Kars for Kids.  I'd drive it off a cliff before calling your lame ass charity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Oosala said:

It is the WORST commercial EVER played on TV or radio.  I lunge for the off switch every time it starts.  Not only is the song an ear worm, the kids pretending to play instruments and the shitty singing kid make me vomit.  And then the older man chimes in for a verse and it's just as bad.  Finally, it finishes off with one of those treacly sweet little girls telling me to give away my mobile home.  Fuck off, K-A-R-S Kars for Kids.  I'd drive it off a cliff before calling your lame ass charity.

When we had to put my dad in care we gave his cars to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Easy peasy, they came with flat bed trucks and picked them up, gave us a receipt for taxes.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Oosala said:

Some day it could by YOU at the bottom of the steps.  (62-year-old woman.)

It's the woman's operatic "Hayuuuuuuuuuulp" that makes me hate that commercial, not the fact that someone is injured.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Oosala said:

The way they sing “DoNATE your car today” sets my teeth on edge.(I pronounce it DOnate.)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When we had to put my dad in care we gave his cars to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Easy peasy, they came with flat bed trucks and picked them up, gave us a receipt for taxes.

That's a great idea! I'll have to remember that one.

• Love 1

Saturday is my day to watch PBS cooking and travel shows. I noticed today that Consumer Cellular is a proud sponsor of many of the shows. They have an innocuous statement about being a phone company that can meet your individual needs. How different from the annoying commercials on the Retro channels I watch!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Saturday is my day to watch PBS cooking and travel shows. I noticed today that Consumer Cellular is a proud sponsor of many of the shows. They have an innocuous statement about being a phone company that can meet your individual needs. How different from the annoying commercials on the Retro channels I watch!

I looked all over their website and nowhere does it say it's for seniors - just that AARP members get a discount. I use them, get 250 minutes a month, which is more than enough for me, even with the damn robocalls. I've got a "dumb" flip phone, so I don't use internet on my phone, so I'm very happy with a $20.63 monthly bill (including all the stupid taxes).

• Love 3
On 4/17/2019 at 7:54 PM, ams1001 said:

Okay, there's a Wells Fargo mortgage ad I've seen a few times tonight that I have mixed feelings on. It's two dogs, alone at home during the day, a bigger dog snoozing on the couch, a little Pomeranian on the armchair. A siren starts blaring outside and the big dog lifts just his head while the little one starts freaking out, barking and running from the chair to the couch and back (she calls it the "woo-woo monster"). Then when the noise stops the big dog says something like "they're gone" and lays his head back down, and the little one stops running around and tries to calm down. She talks (yes, they talk, with CGI mouth movements) about how they need a quieter place to live. 

On the one hand, cute dogs. On the other hand, dogs freaking out at what is in their world clearly a regular occurrence makes me sad.

All that ^^^^ so Wells Scammin' Fargo can try and and convince people to take out a mortgage loan? Or maybe I missed the message? I hate them but I still bank with them. But I'm poor so they leave me alone😁

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Same for me.

I consider it a blessing to have a rare enough Offline Name that the first name never gets branded and the surname not at all. Besides, I'd not want to be linked by name to a soda drink with few if any  actual health benefits (and a still secret formula ). 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Blergh said:

a soda drink with few if any  actual health benefits (and a still secret formula ). 

There was a rumor back when Joke Coke came out - when Robert Woodruff died, he took the formula with him. So they came up with Joke Coke while they tried to replicate the original formula. They never intended for Joke Coke to stick around. Coke afficionados will tell you the re-introduced Classic Coke doesn't really taste like the Real Thing pre-Joke Coke. I thought it was an ingenious conspiracy theory, but nonsense nonetheless.

On 4/17/2019 at 5:26 PM, chenoa333 said:

"So what does the dishwasher DO?" Hate the commercial, hate the kid (who is a terrible actor) and we all know what the dishwasher does. 

I can't stand that commercial either. It makes me want to facepalm every time that I see it.

• Love 4

That gawdamm gummy bear ad with grownups talking like stupid children is back. OMG, that ad annoys me to know end and one of the men in the boardroom reminds me of Marci's 2nd husband on Married with Children (drawing a blank on actor right now).

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There was a rumor back when Joke Coke came out - when Robert Woodruff died, he took the formula with him. So they came up with Joke Coke while they tried to replicate the original formula. They never intended for Joke Coke to stick around. Coke afficionados will tell you the re-introduced Classic Coke doesn't really taste like the Real Thing pre-Joke Coke. I thought it was an ingenious conspiracy theory, but nonsense nonetheless.

I don't k now about that, but I assumed it was an attempt to cover up them switching from sugar to corn syrup.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I don't k now about that, but I assumed it was an attempt to cover up them switching from sugar to corn syrup.

I've always thought that, too, but I think the rumor about the formula going to the grave is hilarious.

17 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

That gawdamm gummy bear ad with grownups talking like stupid children is back. OMG, that ad annoys me to know end and one of the men in the boardroom reminds me of Marci's 2nd husband on Married with Children (drawing a blank on actor right now).

Ted McGinley.

18 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I never heard the Joke coke rumor (Woodruff taking the recipe with him), but it sounds funny.

I think Coke had been using corn syrup before that point however.  At least since the mid 70s.  The Coke that gets bottled in Mexico is the same original formula Coke that your parents and grandparents had from the 30s onward.  It uses sugar.  I find it in Sam's Club all the time.

• Love 4

I have a colleague who went to work in QA for Coca-Cola at their Atlanta lab in the early 90s. When I visited his lab, he assured me the formula for Coke was locked in a vault that very few people had access to.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

I think Coke had been using corn syrup before that point however.  At least since the mid 70s.  The Coke that gets bottled in Mexico is the same original formula Coke that your parents and grandparents had from the 30s onward.  It uses sugar.  I find it in Sam's Club all the time.

The Cokes in the UK also use sugar and not corn syrup. I'm pretty much assuming every country except America gets to have Real Coke while we're stuck with the fake shit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 4/19/2019 at 3:56 AM, Katy M said:

Who goes to fucking Dairy Queen on date night

Fuck Dairy Queen..I haven't been on a "date" for 20 years. Doesn't the word "dating" mean f-ing? I haven't tried f-ing Dairy Queen but that might solve my dating problem!

But my bigger annoyance in the genre of commercials (besides fucking Flo) are the Property Brothers. I f'n can't stand them. I hate looking at their caveman jawlines and the dark, furry $hit growing on their faces. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a colleague who went to work in QA for Coca-Cola at their Atlanta lab in the early 90s. When I visited his lab, he assured me the formula for Coke was locked in a vault that very few people had access to.

I always found it amusing that someone would try to steal someone's secret formula. What are going to do with it, start up a company whose product tastes like an already established one?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, magicdog said:

Ted McGinley.

I never heard the Joke coke rumor (Woodruff taking the recipe with him), but it sounds funny.

The problem with the "real" Coke is that they only sell it in small bottles and you pay for a 10-12 ounce bottle almost what you pay for a two liter of the "fake" Coke. Around Passover time, all the supermarkets here used to sell 2 liter bottles of Coke with real sugar because it was kosher for Passover. You could identify it by the yellow cap on the bottle. I haven't seen it sold in my area for years now though. 

• Love 3

This may have been mentioned, but Liberty Mutual continues its absolutely shameless ripping off of other insurance company campaigns. Farmers Insurance breaking through with an a cappella group singing the company name and "dum de dum dum dum dum dum"? Liberty will copy them with an a cappella group singing nothing but the company name over and over! Geico putting itself on the map with an animal that sounds like the company name? Liberty will copy them with the LiMu Emu! Morale at that agency must be the pits.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I like the emu commercials, since, you know, animals, but my goodwill for Liberty is gone now from the years of awful commercials, from "Brad the car" to the guy with bulbous calves.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

The Liberty ad with the "witness protection" guy annoys me because you can hear him hit the stunt mat after he jumps over the rail. They've cut away from the scene, so there's no reason why they couldn't have cut the audio at the right place.

• Love 6
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, configdotsys said:

You could identify it by the yellow cap on the bottle. I haven't seen it sold in my area for years now though.

A lot of Mexican stores and take out places stock "Mexican coke" with real sugar, but I've only seen it in the small (but glass!) bottles.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The Liberty ad with the "witness protection" guy annoys me because you can hear him hit the stunt mat after he jumps over the rail. They've cut away from the scene, so there's no reason why they couldn't have cut the audio at the right place.

Is he a Shadowman? I ask because he seems to be perpetually enshrouded in darkness, except for the momentary flash bulb that went off and jumps over the edge of the pier.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, Brattinella said:

Horrible ad.  Scary as hell.

What in the name of Christ was THAT all about?  I'm so glad I only have to watch it once.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

A lot of Mexican stores and take out places stock "Mexican coke" with real sugar, but I've only seen it in the small (but glass!) bottles.

Last week's Aldi ad in my area is featuring Mexican Coke for $1.00 a bottle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2019 at 5:31 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

It occurs to me that this could be an intentional rip-off of yet a third competitor--in this case, esurance, with its Dennis Quaid spots which in a very "meta" way call attention to the artifice of film. (I love that campaign, by the way.)

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, ams1001 said:

Okay, there's a Wells Fargo mortgage ad I've seen a few times tonight that I have mixed feelings on. It's two dogs, alone at home during the day, a bigger dog snoozing on the couch, a little Pomeranian on the armchair. A siren starts blaring outside and the big dog lifts just his head while the little one starts freaking out, barking and running from the chair to the couch and back (she calls it the "woo-woo monster"). Then when the noise stops the big dog says something like "they're gone" and lays his head back down, and the little one stops running around and tries to calm down. She talks (yes, they talk, with CGI mouth movements) about how they need a quieter place to live. 

On the one hand, cute dogs. On the other hand, dogs freaking out at what is in their world clearly a regular occurrence makes me sad.

I kinda like that one.  The Woo-Woo monster, indeed.

• Love 1

The Doritos commercial with The Backstreet Boys and Chance the Rapper. Chance's high-pitched, nasally rapping sends me diving for my remote every time.

• Love 4

This should probably go under "commercials that leave you gobsmacked" but have you seen Jeff Foxworthy hawking his new furniture line at Nebraska Furniture Mart? Who in holy hell wants a Jeff Foxworthy 3-piece suite in their living room? I mean, Foxworthy's whole schtick revolves around being a "redneck" so does his furniture line look like redneck furniture? Like, milk crates and barrels for tables?

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This stupid commercial for Bounce -- the lady says something like, "Do you want wrinkle-free clothing without a hassle? You can." Can what?! OK, I know that the implication is "have it," but come on!

It's the same thing as the people who say "Come with?" instead of "Do you want to come with me?"

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

It's the same thing as the people who say "Come with?" instead of "Do you want to come with me?"

That's a regional thing where I live.  When I moved to another state for a few years, people were ALWAYS on me about that, as if I were stupid.  I try to not speak in local dialect a lot, but sometimes it slips in.  When I met my husband, I knew he was somewhat from the area I was because he said "Can I come with?".  And one of the people we were with pulled a "I don't know.  CAN you?  And do you want to come with me, with him, with her...…..".

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I said, "come with," my brother pointed out that I'm showing my Philadelphia roots.

For me it was my Pennsyltuckey roots. Along with red up your room, go run down cellar and ugly as skedditch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Can't stand the Enterprise used car commercial where Kristen Bell wants to use a recliner as a trade in -- "but I need this out of my house!"  So stupid on so many levels.

Hmm. I haven't seen that one but apparently it's an "inside joke" because both Bell and her husband Dax Shepard have told the story about the recliner chair they sort of fought over on various talk shows. I guess Enterprise is banking on the fact that a lot of people follow Dax and Kristen on social media and/or talk shows.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Here in Jersey*, we say "down the shore" instead of "to or at the shore"--as in, "I am going down the shore on my day off" or "They spent their vacation down the shore." It's weird (and possibly confusing, because to go "down" the shore, one would have to already be on said shore and heading/headed south).

But even though I am a grammar person (as my job), it doesn't bug me in the least. Probably because I've lived here all my life and because my grandparents always had a second home "down the shore." (It's been gone since 2012; thanks a lot, Sandy!)

*In North and Central Jersey at least; I don't know if the people who live in South Jersey would say this, as they're there already.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3