Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

When my mom died, they charged me an extra $150 to remove her pacemaker - the batter will explode in the crematory furnace.  Pissed me off, because she had lost so much weight, the damn thing was visible beneath her skin. I could have cut it out with an X-acto knife, but then they'd have nabbed me for mutilating a body.

My brother was in the Coast Guard Reserves and he said one of the things they did on the weekends he had to serve was "burials at sea" - scattering ashes in the Gulfstream. Joe said that as the ashes drifted down toward the sea floor in that clear, blue water and the sun would strike it at the perfect angle, it was SO gorgeous. I think that's what I'd like done - scatter me in some body of water.

• Love 8

I can't believe no one's mentioned this one, or maybe it's just a northeast thing.  Verizon's commercials play endlessly here, but the one that annoys me the MOST is the one for the FIOS TV streaming app with the laziest and rudest girl on the planet.  First she gets on the bus and takes up the ENTIRE back row, laying down across the seat on a furry husband pillow.  Then, in a doctor's office in a waiting room full of chairs, she takes the very next seat to THE ONLY OTHER PERSON in the room while snickering along with a LOUD Spongebob episode playing over the speaker!  Finally, in the lobby of a hotel, she drags over a settee to LAY DOWN on it while attempting to keep her place in line.  If I were the person standing in line behind her I'd give her a good ass-kicking. 

Aside from the ridiculousness that the voiceover literally says something like "get comfortable":  1) the settee doesn't look at all comfortable, and 2) you'd have to keep getting up and moving it forward every time someone leaves the line!  That's just how I want to watch TV.  NOT!!

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out that the girl is destined to remain single and that's why she's completely addicted to television.  Also not surprised to find out that the reviews for the app are horrendous and most say that the latest version doesn't even WORK when you're not connected to your HOME WIFI!!!!!! WTH Verizon?!?

This ad plays at least 5 times every hour on EVERY channel, and has been for months.  I have to turn to a different channel every time I hear that incredibly annoying background music (or SpongeBob's laugh) come on the TV.  

Second worst is their commercial about moving to a new home while every member of the family, each glued to their smartphone, sits on their sofa while two moving men carry it into their new home.  How damn lazy can you get?? 

Anyone else seen this idiocy?  Verizon, if you're going to inundate us with your ads, at least have a little compassion and make them watchable.  Other companies can do it, why not you?

ps:  also hate the stupid Liberty Mutual jingle - Liberty, Liberty, Liiiiiiiibertyyyyyyyyyyyyy ... (liberty)

• Love 5

I love the FIOS TV app. Works fine for me at home and anyplace that has internet. I couldn't get through an hour on the treadmill at the gym without it. I can use it without internet connection, but then you're using cellular data, so I don't.

ETA: And you can do more with the app than watch TV. You can use it as a remote, set up and cancel recordings on the DVR, and look at the current channel listings. I was out of town once and realized I had forgotten I didn't set shows for recording while we were gone. Easily remedied with the app.

I see the ad a lot also, but I like the app so much it doesn't bother me.

Edited by chessiegal
28 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I love the FIOS TV app. Works fine for me at home and anyplace that has internet. I couldn't get through an hour on the treadmill at the gym without it. I can use it without internet connection, but then you're using cellular data, so I don't.

ETA: And you can do more with the app than watch TV. You can use it as a remote, set up and cancel recordings on the DVR, and look at the current channel listings. I was out of town once and realized I had forgotten I didn't set shows for recording while we were gone. Easily remedied with the app.

I see the ad a lot also, but I like the app so much it doesn't bother me.

Then it would seem that you are exactly the sort of person that Verizon is trying to reach with their never-ending ads.  I'm happy it works for you, however, many others don't agree :https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.fios.tv&showAllReviews=true

In any event, their commercials will keep me from ever finding out, because that's how much I hate them. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, antikking said:

Then it would seem that you are exactly the sort of person that Verizon is trying to reach with their never-ending ads.  I'm happy it works for you, however, many others don't agree :https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.fios.tv&showAllReviews=true

In any event, their commercials will keep me from ever finding out, because that's how much I hate them. 

One of the things I've realized as I've gotten older is I am no longer the demographic for a lot of commercials.  Advertisers don't care about my opinion and I'm okay with that, because I probably won't buy their shit.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
31 minutes ago, antikking said:

We are a Verizon household - landline, internet, cell phones, and cable. We didn't get Verizon because of the app - already had it. The app was an added perk at no additional cost when it came out. And we're old, so we're probably not the demographic either.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

One of the things I've realized as I've gotten older is I am no longer the demographic for a lot of commercials.  Advertisers don't care about my opinion and I'm okay with that, because I probably won't buy their shit.

Not just me, then. I find myself watching an ad that just seems too ridiculous for words, then realize I can watch it critically or just enjoy it as a bit of entertainment because I'm no longer susceptible to whatever persuasion they're using. That's been pretty freeing.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, CoderLady said:

Not just me, then. I find myself watching an ad that just seems too ridiculous for words, then realize I can watch it critically or just enjoy it as a bit of entertainment because I'm no longer susceptible to whatever persuasion they're using. That's been pretty freeing.

I'm especially like that with ads that feature celebs. When I was younger I was like "OMG, my favorite actress likes this makeup! I must have it!" Now I'm like, "Yeah, like Kristin Bell is sitting in her bathroom dying her own hair. That kind of blonde does not come from one box of over the counter hair dye. You are right, it is pretty freeing. 

These days I usually just mute the TV when the ads come on so I don't have to listen to their BS. I can just look at the pretty people or the shiny cars. Sometimes I play "what are they selling". Sometimes it's really hard to tell without the audio clues. lol

• Love 9

While this is clearly tragic, maybe it'll get Liberty Mutual to pull those stupid LiMu Emu ads: Cassowary Kills Owner

Those birds are vicious! 

The commercial I'm hating on right now is for the Amazon Echo. A woman is seen at home having a leisurely evening on the couch. Her daughter storms in the house and Mom asks, "How did your soccer game go?" Daughter's bedroom door slams, indicating the match didn't go so well. Mom then says, "Alexa, pause my audiobook." What was the mother doing at home listening to an audiobook when she probably should have been at her daughter's game? I'm surprised Mom didn't ask Alexa to go check on her daughter for her so that she could continue listening to her thrilling BDSM. Then Mom is awakened by a thudding noise in the backyard. "Alexa, what time is it?" she asks. Because clocks are for the peasant class. But everything's fine -- soccer obsessed daughter is practicing kicking a ball against the house at 4:30 in the morning. Mom smiles and says, "Alexa, turn on the backyard light." Daughter appreciates her mother's pre-dawn kindness and rewards her with distant eye contact and a smile. Meanwhile, everyone else in the neighborhood who might be trying to sleep -- well, who cares about them? It's Daughter Dearest's practice time that matters and everyone else should just suck it up and invest in some earplugs and black-out blinds.

Alexa, just how doomed is the human race right now?

• LOL 9
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Those birds are vicious! 

The commercial I'm hating on right now is for the Amazon Echo. A woman is seen at home having a leisurely evening on the couch. Her daughter storms in the house and Mom asks, "How did your soccer game go?" Daughter's bedroom door slams, indicating the match didn't go so well. Mom then says, "Alexa, pause my audiobook." What was the mother doing at home listening to an audiobook when she probably should have been at her daughter's game? I'm surprised Mom didn't ask Alexa to go check on her daughter for her so that she could continue listening to her thrilling BDSM. Then Mom is awakened by a thudding noise in the backyard. "Alexa, what time is it?" she asks. Because clocks are for the peasant class. But everything's fine -- soccer obsessed daughter is practicing kicking a ball against the house at 4:30 in the morning. Mom smiles and says, "Alexa, turn on the backyard light." Daughter appreciates her mother's pre-dawn kindness and rewards her with distant eye contact and a smile. Meanwhile, everyone else in the neighborhood who might be trying to sleep -- well, who cares about them? It's Daughter Dearest's practice time that matters and everyone else should just suck it up and invest in some earplugs and black-out blinds.

This is perfection. Great post.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Kids have their soccer games all the damn time. Mom didn’t go to one, meh. I’m with you on the neighbor-waking, though. 

Plus, it may have been an away game, so that even though mom beat daughter home, didn't mean she could actually get to the game to watch.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

The ads I’m talking about are definitely for Reeses. In the most recent, an obnoxious voiceover talks about how they put the candy everywhere, including chiropractors offices. They all end with the narrator sneering “Sorry, not sorry.” 

I do hate the Milky Way commercials too, and I don’t regert that.

Oh yes, I remember those Reeses commercials!

P.S.

I see what you did there!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

But everything's fine -- soccer obsessed daughter is practicing kicking a ball against the house at 4:30 in the morning. Mom smiles and says, "Alexa, turn on the backyard light." Daughter appreciates her mother's pre-dawn kindness and rewards her with distant eye contact and a smile. Meanwhile, everyone else in the neighborhood who might be trying to sleep -- well, who cares about them? It's Daughter Dearest's practice time that matters and everyone else should just suck it up and invest in some earplugs and black-out blinds.

I feel like that scene is supposed to show us the daughter's dedication, but my first thought was that it was unhealthy obsession.  I mean, you need to sleep to perform your best, kid.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

What bugs me the most about this ad is that when "Alexa" answers that it's 4:30 am, the computer voice sounds sleepy/bleary, as if just awakened. Now, I would never have one of these eavesdropping devices in my home (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-10/is-anyone-listening-to-you-on-alexa-a-global-team-reviews-audio) so I'll never know firsthand, but does "Alexa" really pretend to be sleep-muddled depending on the time of day? It's a freaking computer.

Edited by Ashforth
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 4/13/2019 at 5:05 PM, CoderLady said:

I guess I only watch channels where I am in the demographic. Except for Frank Thomas Nugenix. I get Pat Boone advertising walk-in bathtubs, Alex Trebek advertising the 3 Ps, Dennis Quaid hawking insurance (I don't mind those, I like Dennis Quaid), some different ones for bladder leaks, hmm, just realized I never see tampon or pad ads any more, I get all the old people stuff.

Edited because I had additional thoughts, I guess when we get old, we're only good for spending our money on medicare supplements, funeral planning, containing our pee, or donating to St. Jude's, Shriners, saving the children in Africa, feeding the Holocaust survivors in Russia, feeding the people of Israel, saving the snow leopards or the dogs and cats. Editing again to add oxygen making supplies.

Edited by friendperidot
  • LOL 6
  • Love 10

After we've spent our meager Social Security benefits on all that stuff, there's nothing left to buy frivolous stuff. Heck, there's barely enough for an Early Bird Special.  ...a few years ago, I went to a restaurant in Virginia that's touted as a great "meat & three" place. I went late in the afternoon - it was "lupper" for me (like brunch, but between lunch & supper) - and the place was full of seniors having their Early Bird Special dinner.  Now that I'm old, it's not so funny anymore.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

So turning on the outdoor light with the help of Alexa somehow translates into love for your sports-obsessed daughter that you can't relate to?   We live in a sad world.

You mean because she's too lazy to even go turn on a light switch, much less go out and see how she can help her daughter practice (or talk her into going to bed)?

• Love 6

Have the seemingly new Mom (not the TV show) themed commercials just in time for Mother's Day from Cancer Treatment Centers of America been mentioned yet? I haven't complained about their commercials here in quite awhile not to fear though they are still pissing me off incessantly. When I'm watching TV live I try my best to change the channel to something else as soon as one comes on recently I wasn't quick enough which is how I discovered the new one talking about Moms. I'm convinced that it's so coincidence when it comes to when they decided to have them begin airing.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I guess I only watch channels where I am in the demographic. Except for Frank Thomas Nugenix. I get Pat Boone advertising walk-in bathtubs, Alex Trebek advertising the 3 Ps, Dennis Quaid hawking insurance (I don't mind those, I like Dennis Quaid), some different ones for bladder leaks, hmm, just realized I never see tampon or pad ads any more, I get all the old people stuff.

Edited because I had additional thoughts, I guess when we get old, we're only good for spending our money on medicare supplements, funeral planning, containing our pee, or donating to St. Jude's, Shriners, saving the children in Africa, feeding the Holocaust survivors in Russia, feeding the people of Israel, saving the snow leopards or the dogs and cats. Editing again to add oxygen making supplies.

You forgot about the commercials for Peyronie's Disease and erectile dysfunction. I was worried about these until I realized:

1. I'm a woman 

2. I'm a nurse and should know better. 

Whatever happened to the cute commercials with Tony the Tiger, Snap Crackle and Pop, Smokey the Bear,  happy McDonald's people dancing around while they sang "You deserve a break today", while Burger King answered that we could have it our way?  I miss commercials like that.

• Love 18
31 minutes ago, shlbycindyk said:

Whatever happened to the cute commercials with Tony the Tiger, Snap Crackle and Pop, Smokey the Bear,  happy McDonald's people dancing around while they sang "You deserve a break today", while Burger King answered that we could have it our way?  I miss commercials like that.

I assume that if you watch Nickelodeon or the Disney channel, you'll see those commercials.

• Love 4

Have the seemingly new Mom (not the TV show) themed commercials just in time for Mother's Day from Cancer Treatment Centers of America been mentioned yet? I haven't complained about their commercials here in quite awhile not to fear though they are still pissing me off incessantly. When I'm watching TV live I try my best to change the channel to something else as soon as one comes on recently I wasn't quick enough which is how I discovered the new one talking about Moms. I'm convinced that it's so coincidence when it comes to when they decided to have them begin airing.

But ... but Cancer Treatment Centers of America will cure your cancer! No one else knows what they're doing!

Seriously, I hate those commercials too. Always have.

Edited by mmecorday
grammar
  • Love 16
42 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

But ... but Cancer Treatment Centers of America will cure your cancer! No one else know what they're doing!

Apparently, part of the treatment from them is to pray away the cancer.  The owner gave millions to the tea party

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

The song in the wayfair commercial is way way too loud. It makes me long for the old commercial from last year.

Are they the one with the new bad greenscreen of a shluppy man rappelling down the front of dressers like some sort of Indiana Jones?

Kraft Mac & Cheese brings back memories of babysitting my cousin's kids (the younger of whom just turned 21 😮). They weren't brats, though. They usually had various cartoon-character shapes and for some reason they always wanted me to make it in the microwave (I guess because it was different from how their mom did it?). When I'm craving mac & cheese I usually get Annie's cheddar, but my favorite is and always will be my mom's homemade baked version. And now I want some.

On 4/11/2019 at 3:31 PM, EMP15362 said:

Let's start with the dang Seresto commercials. First off, the dog is not cute, and I love animals. Second, the fact that the dog keeps repeating the name of the product is annoying, and the voice of his voice actor is not one that I want to hear a lot of anyway. 

I mentioned that one a while back. Seems more like an ad for irresponsible dog-ownership. Get a freakin' fence, lady, and keep track of your dog. (Though I do think he's cute, in an ugly sorta way, but I'm not a big-dog person. Much prefer little pups that can fit comfortably in my lap.)

On 4/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, chessiegal said:

There are places that will do that for you. You can also donate your body to "The Body Farm" in Tennessee where they study the decomposition of human remains for forensic science purposes. I shared an elevator with the head of that project at a conference once. I was so impressed. 

Mary Roach's book Stiff has a chapter on the Body Farm. Very interesting book.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

When I'm craving mac & cheese I usually get Annie's cheddar,

I tried that once because I had a coupon, but it tasted more chemical-ly to me than the Kraft stuff.  Annie's just had this weird aftertaste that I don't notice with Kraft.  Or maybe my tastebuds are so used to Kraft that they don't recognize anything else.  🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I tried that once because I had a coupon, but it tasted more chemical-ly to me than the Kraft stuff.  Annie's just had this weird aftertaste that I don't notice with Kraft.  Or maybe my tastebuds are so used to Kraft that they don't recognize anything else.  🙂

I never noticed an aftertaste. There is one flavor of Annie's that I can't eat (Parmesan). I had it once for dinner and got sick early the next morning; I don't know if that's what made me sick but just seeing the box at the store brings back bad memories.

• Love 3

Okay, there's a Wells Fargo mortgage ad I've seen a few times tonight that I have mixed feelings on. It's two dogs, alone at home during the day, a bigger dog snoozing on the couch, a little Pomeranian on the armchair. A siren starts blaring outside and the big dog lifts just his head while the little one starts freaking out, barking and running from the chair to the couch and back (she calls it the "woo-woo monster"). Then when the noise stops the big dog says something like "they're gone" and lays his head back down, and the little one stops running around and tries to calm down. She talks (yes, they talk, with CGI mouth movements) about how they need a quieter place to live. 

On the one hand, cute dogs. On the other hand, dogs freaking out at what is in their world clearly a regular occurrence makes me sad.

Edited by ams1001

Here is a question for all the ad wizards who came up with this one: Who goes to fucking Dairy Queen on date night? And have I been misunderstanding that "date night" is meant for an evening where mom and dad go out without the kids?

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Here is a question for all the ad wizards who came up with this one: Who goes to fucking Dairy Queen on date night? And have I been misunderstanding that "date night" is meant for an evening where mom and dad go out without the kids?

If I squint really hard, I could see DQ being date night, but no way should the kid be there on date night.

• Love 5
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

"Many men are living with an aging prostate." Yes, 100% of them, in fact. 

But if you eat/shoot-up/apply whatever junk they're selling, you are subject to "less urges to urinate." Apparently side affects include less grammar. 

Stannis Baratheon would not approve.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 11:17 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I think you mean The AARP THE Hartford ads.  WTF is with calling it THE Hartford? And what is so freakin' funny to Matt McCoy riding shotgun with that guy?  I had to CALL the AARP to get them to take me off THE Hartford's mailing list. Their insurance was fairly reasonable the first year, but then the premiums nearly doubled. So much for senior discounts!

They've been calling it The Hartford for as long as I can remember.  And I can remember pretty far back.  It's not the ad agency which did that, it's the company.

• Love 5
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, bad things are bad said:

HATE with a passion the old lady at the bottom of the steps. 

Also really hate My Pillow shill and his products. Stick your cross inside your shirt, you pharisee

Or wear the chain on the outside.  One or the other, and I don't care which.

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:20 PM, Woopwoopkitty said:

as for John Cusack, I was never a Lloyd Dobler fan, but Martin Blank is my ideal fantasy man. 

Mine too.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Okay, there's a Wells Fargo mortgage ad I've seen a few times tonight that I have mixed feelings on. It's two dogs, alone at home during the day, a bigger dog snoozing on the couch, a little Pomeranian on the armchair. A siren starts blaring outside and the big dog lifts just his head while the little one starts freaking out, barking and running from the chair to the couch and back. Then when the noise stops the big dog says something like "they're gone" and lays his head back down, and the little one stops running around and tries to calm down. She talks (yes, they talk, with CGI mouth movements) about how they need a quieter place to live. 

On the one hand, cute dogs. On the other hand, dogs freaking out at what is in their world clearly a regular occurrence makes me sad.

I live in Oklahoma and every Wednesday at noon, unless it's storming, they test the tornado sirens, when I think ahead, I keep my dogs inside for those 2 minutes, but it is a weekly occurrence and I just don't necessarily think about it and one of the dogs may be out when the sirens are tested. Inside the house, you don't hear the sirens as much, in my old neighborhood, we had one of the sirens closer to the house and it could be heard from inside, but inside my dogs don't pay much attention to it, I don't think it hurts their ears when they are inside. When the sirens are being used because there is actually a tornado warning they don't stop after a few seconds, they blast those things loud and long, depending on the track the storm is taking. I'm sorry for the dogs, but I know how important those sirens are for saving lives. 

• Love 4

Ours get tested once a month - first Wednesday at 5 PM.  People complained that they couldn't hear it inside the house & the city answered that it's meant to be an outdoor warning.  OKaaayy.

8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Who goes to fucking Dairy Queen on date night?

My parents would have. We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid - as far as I knew, the only things you could get at DQ were 10¢ cones, 15¢ cones, and the old Blizzard - which didn't have all the doodads added - it was just a tremedously thick, delicious shake. My Mom, brother, and I got the 10¢ cones; Daddy got the bigger one. But, yeah, if they were out on a "date night" ice cream would not be out of the question.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My parents used to go to Friendly's.  That's pretty much the same idea.  Sure, you're without the kids, but you haven't suddenly sprouted money, or in our case, being a small town, there weren't a super lot of choices anyway.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ours get tested once a month - first Wednesday at 5 PM.  People complained that they couldn't hear it inside the house & the city answered that it's meant to be an outdoor warning.  OKaaayy.

OK, funny story.  They used to test the nuclear plant warning siren once a month, noon the first saturday.  My boyfriend at the time lived out of town but he was up one day.  We were getting gas and all of the sudden this loud siren comes on. He asked what it was.  I said "air raid siren."  He actually looked up.  There were a few other people getting gas and, of course, nobody was reacting.   So, he said "nobody seems to be too worried about this."   Then I told him what it really was, but the way he looked up was just too funny.  You probably had to be there.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

OK, funny story.  They used to test the nuclear plant warning siren once a month, noon the first saturday.  My boyfriend at the time lived out of town but he was up one day.  We were getting gas and all of the sudden this loud siren comes on. He asked what it was.  I said "air raid siren."  He actually looked up.  There were a few other people getting gas and, of course, nobody was reacting.   So, he said "nobody seems to be too worried about this."   Then I told him what it really was, but the way he looked up was just too funny.  You probably had to be there.

What you should have done is, after you told him it was the warning siren for the nuclear power plant, go about your business for a few moments then suddenly look up and say "Hold on, this isn't the usual test day!  OMG, I think it's the real thing!"

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And have I been misunderstanding that "date night" is meant for an evening where mom and dad go out without the kids?

Yes.  I know a lady who's retired with adult kids that do NOT live at home and she often posts that her and her "hubby" are going on a "date night" whenever they go to a restaurant for dinner.  They spend every minute together 24/7 at home.  She thinks it's cute to say it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My mother lives in a very small town where the only restaurant is a Dairy Queen. Now, my mother and stepdad wouldn’t be caught dead going there for date night, but they’re retired and have the time and money to be picky and drive to a bigger town for a better place. But I can definitely see how most of the other town denizens might not have that luxury and find Dairy Queen to be a nice date night.

• Love 5